Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Donna, that sounds like a delicious way to prepare the pork chops. I have all those ingredients except the fresh parsley, so added that to my list. I live close to a grocery, it's just down three blocks and then out along the main road from this quiet residential neighborhood. I really rely on it for quick in-and-out trips, and prefer little trips to great big shopping expeditions. LOL Thanks for sharing the recipe.

RFL, hope your tummy is feeling a whole lot better today. Sounds like a day of just reasonable calories and good but gentle nutrition will be a big help. And I know you will get the pounds off that you are still striving for. I found that I had to take it in steps or I ended up not even wanting to bother. Too much trouble. Too hard. Too boring. (Remember when I admitted I was spoiled? LOL) I just lose a little chunk and then sit pat for awhile while I maintain that loss before I go for another little chunk of weight loss. Maybe that will be a comfort to you mentally and your tummy physically for this next round of weight loss. Just have a relaxed and easy MD-UD today. Anyway, hope you are feeling well today. Grilled chicken breasts and roasted veggies sounds like they will be gentle on the tummy.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
This a.m. I decided to mix up the tuna salad RFL came up with. I kept in mind SoHappy's comments about the tuna calories. Also, I had on hand some napa chin cabbage that had been around a bit too long, didn't have any red pepper, but did have some green (I need to shop for veggies too!) So I shredded the napa fairly finely, ended up with about 3 cups (30 cals, 6 total carbs but according to nutrition facts, 6 g fiber so 0 net?), about 1/2 cup of finely slivered green pepper, about 1/2 cup finely slivered celery, one pouch of tuna (70 cals) and one package of shiratake noodles. I mixed well and added two tbs of the Newman's dressing, sprinkled with some onion powder, mixed well and stuck it in the fridge. My hope was that the smaller amount of tuna would still flavor the rest of the stuff. Well, I just had some and while I would probably like it even more with more tuna, it was DELICIOUS! The tuna is definitely there in flavor, just mild, but all the veggies etc., are just oh-so-good. The dressing really makes it. (Oh, and on a cheapskate note, I bought my bottle yesterday at the same time I picked up my Sunday paper. Wouldn't you know when I looked through the coupon insert this a.m. there's a coupon for the salad dressing. That's okay, I'll surely be buying more!)

The possibilities with this are endless - woo hoo to SH for asking for the idea and for RFL for conjuring it! I can see that variations of this salad are going to be my go-to lunches and snacks on hot summer DDs.

Last edited by penguinpower; 06-06-2011 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Edited to add: This made a really big bowl full, and I don't think I ate even a quarter of it yet.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
This a.m. I decided to mix up the tuna salad RFL came up with. I kept in mind SoHappy's comments about the tuna calories. Also, I had on hand some napa chin cabbage that had been around a bit too long, didn't have any red pepper, but did have some green (I need to shop for veggies too!) So I shredded the napa fairly finely, ended up with about 3 cups (30 cals, 6 total carbs but according to nutrition facts, 6 g fiber so 0 net?), about 1/2 cup of finely slivered green pepper, about 1/2 cup finely slivered celery, one pouch of tuna (70 cals) and one package of shiratake noodles. I mixed well and added two tbs of the Newman's dressing, sprinkled with some onion powder, mixed well and stuck it in the fridge. My hope was that the smaller amount of tuna would still flavor the rest of the stuff. Well, I just had some and while I would probably like it even more with more tuna, it was DELICIOUS! The tuna is definitely there in flavor, just mild, but all the veggies etc., are just oh-so-good. The dressing really makes it. (Oh, and on a cheapskate note, I bought my bottle yesterday at the same time I picked up my Sunday paper. Wouldn't you know when I looked through the coupon insert this a.m. there's a coupon for the salad dressing. That's okay, I'll surely be buying more!)

The possibilities with this are endless - woo hoo to SH for asking for the idea and for RFL for conjuring it! I can see that variations of this salad are going to be my go-to lunches and snacks on hot summer DDs.

Sounds AMAZING Donna!! Whoooo hooooo is right!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you like the dressing, it's our family favorite. I've never seen a coupon for it, so you got a great catch there!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #64

Once again today I experience that interesting and strange effect of having my appetite on an Up Day be diminished because of the preceding Down Day. It is approaching the supper hour, and I'm only up to 690 calories so far. I know supper will add significantly, but I'm not all that hungry, so will just play it by ear. Or maybe that is playing it by *tummy*. Maybe I'll get hungry once I start supper preparations. (But truthfully, since I'm not hungry, I really don't feel like breaking a fingernail fixing a big meal for DH. LOL :blush: I'm so mean.)

Anyway, appetite suppression on JUDDD is something that happens to me, and I'm hoping that will get balanced out for you too, RFL. Maybe it was all the tuna noodle salad and spaghetti supper I ate yesterday.

Didn't get to the grocery today, so maybe tomorrow. It's not like I don't have anything.. just not what I was wanting, but maybe that means it's time to start using up those odds and ends that seem to accumulate.

But I did get by the Asian market and bought more packages of shirataki noodles! AND, solid blocks of yam cake.. the green specked kind, so maybe I'll do the cold salad again tomorrow, only this time I'm going to DOUBLE the recipe!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #65

You'll never believe the Up Day menu that I enjoyed today! Not what I usually eat, higher carb by a mile, but delicious and fun. Not what was planned, but that's another story.

B: 1 toast
1 egg
1 orange
1 coffee w/half & half

L: salad, red leaf lettuce w/mustard dressing
2 hard eggs
1 apple
1 are you ready?... peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

S: 2 slices turkey
1 sm. serving stuffing
1 bit of turkey gravy
1 sm. mashed potatoes
1 green peas
1 cranberry sauce
2 bread
1 pat butter
2 celery
blue cheese dressing for celery

****** calories: 1,685 and net carbs.......................... 170! And all perfectly legal on JUDDD, but it remains to be seen what the scale has to say about it all in the morning! Obviously, weighing the morning after an UD usually results in a little gain on the scale, but I'll be very curious about this. Will report the outcome though. At least the slices of bread were the 40-cal per slice stuff. Not great bread by any means, but keeping the cals down if you choose to eat bread on JUDDD. And I really ate just moderate portions, so the portion control thing is working for me pretty well.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
ho ! cool !! a new thread !!

I hope every one's doing good !

I'm done with half my exams, did all the english into french interpretation, God it was hard !
I still have the japanese into french and french into japanese to take, it's on saturday... and then i'll be done with school FOR EVER

And as always i pop in as i'm finally having a down day !! (first in 2 weeks !)

Yesterday I made some 'maki' and add way too many so i didn't feel hungry untill 1pm ! Now i just had a big plate of green beans and a yogurt, and it might be it !!
I'll have a protein shake before my zumba class tonight so i don't collapse

have a great day everyone :hello:
Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieS View Post
ho ! cool !! a new thread !!

I hope every one's doing good !

I'm done with half my exams, did all the english into french interpretation, God it was hard !
I still have the japanese into french and french into japanese to take, it's on saturday... and then i'll be done with school FOR EVER

And as always i pop in as i'm finally having a down day !! (first in 2 weeks !)

Yesterday I made some 'maki' and add way too many so i didn't feel hungry untill 1pm ! Now i just had a big plate of green beans and a yogurt, and it might be it !!
I'll have a protein shake before my zumba class tonight so i don't collapse

have a great day everyone :hello:
Annie!!!!! I'm so glad you checked in. I was wondering how you were doing, and thinking your life right now is a whirlwind. What you are doing just amazes me. I am very impressed. I believe you will have done very well on your english - french interpretation because you do so well here! Good Luck on the french - japanese interpretations coming up.

And how wonderful that you have finally reached the end of your classes and after the final test, your schooling is over. Congratulations. I know what you have accomplished is so hard to do. You will feel so free! What are you going to do with all your extra time? Do you have to look for a job now, or do you already have one lined up?

Have a good Down Day, and enjoy your Zumba class. Everybody I hear of who does that, loves it!

Hope to hear from you more often now that exams are about over! Glad to hear from you today!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #68

The FAT is melting off of me! Yay! Down another .4 pounds from yesterday morning's scale reading to this morning's, and this good weight loss coming after yesterday being an Up Day with far too many carbs was unexpected!

JUDDD works so wonderfully for me. I think when you hold your calories down to constant lower levels, as with a standard lowered-calorie diet, your metabolism is nudged to slow down to compensate. At least, that is how it seems to have happened to us in my family. You lower calories to lose weight, but your body senses that and slows your metabolism to balance out the fewer calories. Not what you want to have happen!

But with this alternating calorie JUDDD plan, the days that immediately follow are so wonderfully fulfilling to your body, that it is told *everything is fine.. we aren't having a famine.. you don't need to slow the metabolism* and so you just keep your metabolism humming right along, but your body keeps having to dive into those fat cells to take out some stored fuel on all those DDs. Sure seems to work wonderfully.

So today is another DD, and I'm looking forward to it so much. Right now I'm sipping on a big mug of hot Irish Breakfast Tea by Twining. Good stuff! And next I'm into the kitchen to chop up veggies and put together another fabulous cold tuna-shirataki noodle salad! Calories will depend on how much of the veggies I have left, but will be low, whatever it turns out to be.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning lovely JUDDDers!!!!!!! Happy Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!

ANNIE!!!!!!!! You're here dahling!!!!! I'm so glad to see you and to hear you are almost finished and doing well!! I hope the Zumba didn't wipe you out! I'm looking forward to hearing from you again! Big hugs from across the pond!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SOHAPPY! Mazel tov and congratulations! You are inspiring!! You really know how to work JUDDD and get it to work for you!

Today I am still dealing with tummy issues and I am up on the scale as well due to eating to quell the pain. Eating carbs of course. :blush:

BUT, don't count me out yet - where there is life, there is HOPE! I'm hoping and praying for a good MD day today - I have some homemade bone broth, grilled chicken, roasted veggies and hopefully, the cals and carbs will be low enough to get me back into fat burning! YAY JUDDD!!

Donna, how are you today?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
.....Today I am still dealing with tummy issues and I am up on the scale as well due to eating to quell the pain. Eating carbs of course. :blush:

BUT, don't count me out yet - where there is life, there is HOPE! I'm hoping and praying for a good MD day today - I have some homemade bone broth, grilled chicken, roasted veggies and hopefully, the cals and carbs will be low enough to get me back into fat burning! YAY JUDDD!!
I'm so sorry to hear you are still having tummy pain issues. I hope today is definitely the day pain ceases for you and you get your happy tummy back.

Since we have a lifetime of diet, both this weight loss we are working for currently, but more importantly the diet that we will partake of for the rest of our lives, I believe it is important to take a long term view of our eating. So a few days of immediate weight loss now or postponing it for a few days into the future is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. What is more important is getting yourself feeling well. So a little prayer that by the end of today you are feeling a whole lot better. I know you take good care of yourself. I'm just sorry that you have to go through this at all.

Have a good MD today, or even a healthful UD. Scale weight fluctuates, so whether it's up a bit right now really doesn't matter much. When you feel well again, you can start right back with a DD again. Just no rush, you know.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
ladies..

SoHappy thanks for the invite to come check this thread...there a lot of interesting subjects...about this L-glutamine...when do most of you take it...i do have a bottle of the powder stuff plus i still have a bottle of acv...i guessing i should take all those things out and used them..cant' do no harm at this point...

SoHappy...you've done well after that binging...

RFL...it's really to bad your stomach is giving you problems...it sure gets in the way for you to be able to accomplish your goals..

Annie...i love zumba also...but i do it at home..i don't feel i'm coordianated enough to go in public.....mais c'est beaucoup de plaisir...

Have a great day ladies....

~~~GAETS~~~
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #73

Gaetane!!! So glad you stopped in! Your stats are looking great. You are doing a wonderful job. I'm so happy for you. Isn't it fun to see that scale go down!!!

Hope you stop in occasionally to visit us. We miss you over here, but know you are doing so well on your Calorie Counting program. Have a great day!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Hello dear JUDDDers!

Glad to see you, Annie. I am so happy for you that you are nearing the end of your schooling - and really admire what you have accomplished. I wish I could be fluent in more than one language. I tried to learn Italian, but never did quite get it down well. I could make rudimentary conversation if I spoke v-e-r-y slowly, but when I actually went to Italy and was faced with thousand-mile-an-hour real Italian speaking, I went dumb. My DH, who was born and raised in Italy, was of no help to me at all since he spoke a dialect and not the "official" Italian they speak today. I still understand a few words but could not even attempt to read in Italian, let alone translate it into English!

RFL - I do hope your tummy issues resolve. Do you think all this recent agony might possibly mean the gluc powder was not the culprit in your earlier episodes?

SoHappy - bully for you! I love peanut butter and it has been years since I've treated myself to a PBJ sandwich. PB is a definite trigger food for me. I do have it here in the house because one of my favorite UD breakfasts is a protein shake made with unsweetened coconut or almond milk, chocolate whey powder, peanut butter, gluc powder, a bit of banana and ice - we have a "Blendtec" blender that is just awesome, it pulverizes all of that into a Wendy's Frosty-like substance, and it feels like such an indulgence on an UD. I buy the Costco organic PB, it is so so good. But I don't dare dip into it outside of its use for a shake or I can't stop myself.

So far today all I've had is one of those shakes. Oh, and my coffee, with some "almond joy" flavored creamer, yum. Not sure what I want for lunch yet - I have that interesting appetite suppression thing going on today that you experience SoHappy. I can't say it happens every time, but once in a while I do experience a lack of appetite after a successful DD. I may just opt to have my leftover tuna shirataki salad. Or leftover shirataki spaghetti. Or a PBJ sandwich lol. Tonight for dinner I think we'll finish the last container of oysters and have those oven-fried oysters again with a huge salad, maybe some asparagus.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Wow, that was a long post I made, and I still am not finished blabbing!

I wanted to say that I read your goal of losing 7 pounds in June, SoHappy and you are well on the way to achieving it. I decided on June 5 that I would like to lose 5 by the end of the month. It is a shock to me to realize that if I am able to do it, I'll be in the 170s. I haven't seen that "decade" for at least six or seven years, and when I got there back then, it was under the influence of diet drugs!

I need to lose one pound every five days, which should be doable if my %&*#$^^ metabolism cooperates. I'm on the way, since this a.m.'s scale was bouncing on 184, heading down but not steady...and that was before a major potty break, sorry TMI! It will be a good motivator for keeping today's UD within bounds.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #76

Donna, we love oysters here too, but rarely get to treat ourselves to them. Iowa is not known for fresh seafood, fish or shellfish either one. Of course, it is all flown in fresh now, but still not like going down and having them shuck some right on the spot for you to take home for supper.

Would love to know how you make them in an oven. Pretty please for the recipe?

Didn't make the big pork chops yet, but probably one for DH's supper tonight (they're huge) and then I'll split the other one with him for lunch tomorrow.

Having a great DD and expect it to end on a high note too. Made another batch of the tuna-noodle stuff, only this time I turned it into hot & spicy Asian salad with the addition of bamboo shoots, grated ginger root, chopped garlic, and quit a bit of hot chili paste. Oh, and a glob of that 0 calorie Walden Farms peanut butter, which doesn't really taste much like actual peanut butter, but does taste and even smell quite a bit like a thick peanut sauce. So today my salad is a spicy Thai version. Haven't tasted it yet. I'll try to remember to report back on how it was.

Off and running. Have a great day, JUDDD Buddies!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Wow, that was a long post I made, and I still am not finished blabbing!

I wanted to say that I read your goal of losing 7 pounds in June, SoHappy and you are well on the way to achieving it. I decided on June 5 that I would like to lose 5 by the end of the month. It is a shock to me to realize that if I am able to do it, I'll be in the 170s. I haven't seen that "decade" for at least six or seven years, and when I got there back then, it was under the influence of diet drugs!

I need to lose one pound every five days, which should be doable if my %&*#$^^ metabolism cooperates. I'm on the way, since this a.m.'s scale was bouncing on 184, heading down but not steady...and that was before a major potty break, sorry TMI! It will be a good motivator for keeping today's UD within bounds.
Reading this post just gave me *a shot in the arm* of renewed excitement about reaching my own goal of 7 pounds lost before June ends. So as usual, we're doing this together and giving each other support and encouragement. (I just want RFL's tummy to feel better real soon!)

And I just feel so confident about this way of losing weight from the standpoint of not doing any damage to my metabolism. I think there is still a lot not known about it all, but it seems that holding cals down for several days at a time seems to trigger your body to slow down your metabolism, but this alternating high-low cal days seems to keep the metabolism up, and that helps make me confident of being able to do this forever.

If I need to shed a few pounds back off, lower the DD calories. If maintaining weight loss for awhile, increase the DD calories and enjoy! Plus keeping UDs within reason.

Have a great day! Sounds like it's an UD for you, so relax and enjoy it without guilt.

See Everyone later today! Have good ones!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Here ya go, SoHappy! When Costco does a "seafood event," they bring in really fresh and delicious seafood and it's about the only time we treat ourselves to oysters. Pittsburgh isn't exactly a fresh seafood town either, lol. This recipe is from Taste of Home, it is GREAT and every oyster lover I've shared it with has given it the thumbs up. The jalapeno sauce really makes the dish. I found that the oysters do not get crispy if you use a Silpat liner, so be sure to just put them on a metal pan well-sprayed with Pam, or they do almost as well if you put an aluminum foil sheet down on the pan for easy clean up and use Pam on that. Also, I've done it using eggbeaters instead of regular egg--still good, but not as crispy as with a regular egg.

Crispy Oven-Fried Oysters

Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
1 cup dry bread crumbs (I use Italian seasoned)
2/3 cup grated Romano cheese (I usually use parmesan from a canister)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 pint shucked oysters or 2 cans (8 ounces each) whole oysters, drained
2 tablespoons olive oil

JALAPENO MAYONNAISE:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (I use jarred rings, cut up)
2 tablespoons milk (I cut this back a little and add a splash of jalapeno juice from the jar)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs. In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and garlic salt.
Coat oysters with flour mixture, then dip in eggs, and coat with crumb mixture. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil (I've skipped this, didn't make any difference).
Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. (I turn once after about 8 or 9 minutes and if they look crispy enough, just cook a few minutes more) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the jalapeno mayonnaise ingredients. Serve with oysters. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen (about 2/3 cup jalapeno mayonnaise).
Editor's Note: We recommend wearing disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers. Avoid touching your face.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 75 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.

NOTE: I totally distrust these nutrition facts. The recipe says it makes 30 servings, so if there are two oysters per serving, then I should have 60 oysters...no way! 16 oz of oysters usually gives me about 20 to 24 oysters, not 60.

Last edited by penguinpower; 06-07-2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: To add info about nutrition facts
Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #79

Oh, My Goodness! That sounds fabulous. I will definitely splurge on some 'fresh' oysters and make that for us one of these days. It just sounds so yummy. Thanks so much.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Afternoon y'all!

Today is a better day!! Tummy is behaving! YAY!!

Hi Gaetane! It's SOOO good to see you again!

Donna: I love your posts, keep 'em coming! You asked about the gluc and current tummy problems. No, the gluc DEFINITELY messed me up, this current situation is different.

SoHappy:
Your salad sounds really yummy, yes, please report back the taste-testing results!

I'm having a better day today and not as hungry or nauseated. I think it's the L-Glutamine taken on an empty tummy. As I said, my GI system is very sensitive now and sometimes things make me sick and sometimes they don't! I know, I'm weird. I'm just thankful that today is better. I'm taking the L-Glutamine WITH food and it seems to have made a big difference.

I had to go out this morning and when I got back, I was starved so I had 2 HB eggs, some protein shake, then still-hungry, had a salad with Newman's Own Lite Sesame Ginger, 1 chicken breast and some refried beans, cheese and corn casserole I made for the family.

I'm hoping to finish off not eating too much more, just enough to keep the hunger at bay.

Good to see everyone!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #81

Just reporting that the tuna-noodle salad is delicious both ways. I added just a tad bit TOO MUCH hot chili paste, so I was like with each bite I took, but still delicious, as I really like hot Asian food.

I still have about 85 of my 500 calories left, so will probably make a little chocolate/coffee shake to enjoy while I sit back and watch some TV to top off my day.

And then an early bedtime as it was a short night last night, and I'm feeling zonked!

Hope you all had a good day today, and I'm so glad to hear your tummy was feeling better today, RFL! Hope tomorrow continues as a healing day for you too.

DH wants me to bake him a loaf of bread, and I've been putting him off for quite awhile now. But I have a question about whole wheat... have you ever baked with the whole white wheat flour? I've read that that white variety of wheat didn't get started over here as much as the red wheat varieties, but that white wheat doesn't have that *slightly bitter* flavor that so many people detect and don't like in whole wheat bread.

Just thinking that if it tastes a lot like a basic loaf of home baked white bread, DH will probably be pretty happy with it.

Hi, Donna. Hope you had a good day too!

See Everyone in the morning, in case I don't check back in tonight.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,
Your day sounds great! I hope you have a restful evening and refreshing sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
DH wants me to bake him a loaf of bread, and I've been putting him off for quite awhile now. But I have a question about whole wheat... have you ever baked with the whole white wheat flour? I've read that that white variety of wheat didn't get started over here as much as the red wheat varieties, but that white wheat doesn't have that *slightly bitter* flavor that so many people detect and don't like in whole wheat bread.

Just thinking that if it tastes a lot like a basic loaf of home baked white bread, DH will probably be pretty happy with it.
SoHappy, have you ever been to my website? I have all sorts of stuff there about whole grains and YES, I bake a lot with whole white wheat. It is a hard white wheat that has as much protein as red, but without the strong, nutty flavor of red wheat.

The other important issue is how long since the grain was milled. If you buy whole wheat (red OR white) that has been milled into flour and been sitting on a shelf somewhere, it WILL be bitter compared with freshly-milled, or purchased soon after milling. If you have a health food store close by they sometimes can get much fresher while grain flour.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

I did have a good day, thanks! I had my yummy shake for breakfast, turkey burger with a slice of provolone melted on top for lunch, and then the oysters and huge salad for dinner. I found a new item at Costco - "Sprouted Beans" - made up of lentils, peas, a bunch of other dry legumes. You just cook them for five minutes and then let them rest for 10, and they make a really nice addition to a salad. I figured with those, we didn't need any more for dinner and I was right. I'll still have my big serving of gluc gel before the night is over.

So glad you're feeling better RFL!

I never bake bread but I'm tempted to try something since I found a gadget called a Victorio Grain Mill at a yard sale over the weekend. $3 and the lady threw in a big bag of whole wheat to grind up. She also gave me a bag of spelt flour with it. She only used it once and her family said "NO MORE." I bought it to sell on ebay but now I'm thinking I might like to play around with it for a while first.

I'm all prepared for tomorrow's DD since I have leftover tuna salad and leftover spaghetti for lunch and dinner. Not sure yet what I'll have for breakfast - I usually alternate between a Ouizoid Super-low cal muffin or some eggbeater thing. If I'm not hungry I might just skip breakfast, and save some calories for an evening shake - it's supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow and that might be a refreshing treat at night.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ahealinglady
Stats: 207/194/150
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
SoHappy and Donna: YUMMMM! All the noodle-y talk sounds amazing!!

ahealinglady: If I wanted to incorporate HHCG drops into my JUDDD plan for appetite control and fat burning, how would I go about that? Would I just take the drops on my DDs or would I need to follow some other plan protocol? Thanks for any info!
My suggestion would be to do a proper hhcg round then incorporate Juddd in a maintainance round for long term weight control. The hhcg will help kick start the process and help redistribute your weight in a pleasing manner.
I found it very helpful in changing the amount of food I eat on a daily basis. Doing a 3 week round is not that difficult. You won't be hungry as long as you follow the protocol. Lots of advice about that available. Intermountain drops are available from Netrition so it's easy to get started. It was probably the easiest diet with the best results that I've ever tried and I've tried them all LOL.
ahealinglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ahealinglady
Stats: 207/194/150
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Spaghetti Squash recipe

Spaghetti squash makes a great pasta without the fuss of cutting up a zucchini. It's easy to boil a whole squash in a big pot until you can pierce the skin easily. Remove from the water and let cool. Cut in half and with a fork pull out the seeds. The squash itself in spaghetti form follows the seeds and is already in the perfect size and shape. It does not weep excess water into your sauce when you use it.
I love this with spicy ground beef and sauce. Just toss the prepared spaghetti squash in with the your meat/sauce mixture and voila...a wonderful low carb meal. It's even good cold especially with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Very filling!
ahealinglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #86

ANOTHER CHUNK OF FAT MELTED AWAY IN 24 HOURS.

Finished my Down Day yesterday with a great big chocolate coffee milkshake which went over my DD calories, so actually had closer to 600 calories, but still lost over half a pound from yesterday morning to this morning!! Yay, JUDDD!!!!!!!!!!

So today is an Up Day, and I plan to keep my day's calories in the range of 1,800. And because it's an UD, I'm free to eat anything in the world that I want! Yay, JUDDD!!!!!!!!!!

The longer I've done JUDDD with the alternating calorie days, the more I can tell my metabolism has definitely increased. I simply am able to lose weight more easily now than I could in the beginning. Yay, JUDDD!!!!!!!!!!

OK, enough cheerleading, but I'm such a fan.

No appetite yet, but I'm ready for coffee, and I always drink that with half & half. This morning is Caramel Truffle flavored coffee. I love it. I had such a great night's sleep that I'm revved and ready to accomplish much today. LOL Going to clean the house and maybe do some more out in the gardens.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:30 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealinglady View Post
Spaghetti squash makes a great pasta without the fuss of cutting up a zucchini. It's easy to boil a whole squash in a big pot until you can pierce the skin easily. Remove from the water and let cool. Cut in half and with a fork pull out the seeds. The squash itself in spaghetti form follows the seeds and is already in the perfect size and shape. It does not weep excess water into your sauce when you use it.
I love this with spicy ground beef and sauce. Just toss the prepared spaghetti squash in with the your meat/sauce mixture and voila...a wonderful low carb meal. It's even good cold especially with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Very filling!
Hi, HealingLady. I love squash so much, all varieties, and eat it quite a bit, but I've never had spaghetti squash. It sounds like it would be wonderful, but I'm always thinking it would taste like squash even if it resembles noodles, and somehow that just doesn't seem like I'd like it with spaghetti sauce on top. I'll definitely have to try it though.

It is half again higher in calories than zucchini, which I eat sometimes on DDs, but I just have to chop it because I don't have one of those little things that spins it into noodles. Usually I just use a bag of the shirataki noodles on Down Days, as they are about calorie-free, and that's a big help for me on the low calorie days.

But I'll add spaghetti squash to my grocery list and look for it. Will it be in the stores at this time of year, or is it seasonal? I think it's a winter squash variety, so should still be some around in the stores. And! Just while I was typing, I thought how tasty it might be with sausage and butter on it too. LOL

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you're doing with your protocol, and how you do it. It looks like you're doing a wonderful job.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gooooooooood Morning JUDDDers!!!!!!!!!! Happy Wednesday! YAYYYY!

It's SO much nicer when one is feeling well!

Well, after my body decided to revolt and I joined in the revolt by consuming things I shouldn't, in quantities that should never be discussed in the light of day...:blush: my scale reflected a HUGE jump. 'Twas to be expected and expect I did.

However, now the scale is headed back DOWNWARD and in the past 24 hours *feeling better and eating better yesterday*, I am down 2 pounds of that overage. HALLELUJAH! That gives me such a boost.

I really think the key for me right now is healing. Mind and body. I can do this on JUDDD, but I need to be gentle with my DDs.

So, today IS a DD, but I'm going with how my tummy feels and watching the intake, making sure not to go long periods without food.

I'm planning on:
HB eggs (love, love, love them!)
Chicken breast
Salad w/ Ginger Sesame dressing
Homemade Egg White protein shake (64 oz)
Sauteed kale (from my garden) and shirataki noodles

What's on the menu today?

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 06-08-2011 at 05:47 AM..
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealinglady View Post
My suggestion would be to do a proper hhcg round then incorporate Juddd in a maintainance round for long term weight control. The hhcg will help kick start the process and help redistribute your weight in a pleasing manner.
I found it very helpful in changing the amount of food I eat on a daily basis. Doing a 3 week round is not that difficult. You won't be hungry as long as you follow the protocol. Lots of advice about that available. Intermountain drops are available from Netrition so it's easy to get started. It was probably the easiest diet with the best results that I've ever tried and I've tried them all LOL.

Hi ahealinglady!

Thank you SO much for your reply.

Actually, 3 weeks of a protocol is not something I can do at this point.
Thank you though, I do appreciate the reply.

I was hoping that I could use the hcg to help me with my JUDDD down days, which are 500 calories, BUT, the good news is they only last one day, then the next day is higher and then another DD and so on.

The daily alternating is something I can do more readily (even tho I'm struggling with some DDs right now), than a full 3-week protocol.

So, you're saying that the hcg drops are not what causes the appetite suppression, but rather the protocol itself? What does the hcg do then?

I do know that I do not have appetite suppression on just low cal, low carb etc., that's why I was looking to see if the hcg might help me with appetite suppression for my JUDDD Down Days.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #90

Oh, I'm so glad you're feeling much better now, RFL! Sounds like a good idea to not force the issue with your tummy for a little while, and just have a gentle DD and let it go at that. Your DD food sounds great, and when you are hungry, you can eat some of it. If you go over, not a big deal.

Remarkably, JUDDD seems to work just as well if your DD cals are over as when they're held rigidly to a certain cap, which is lovely to be able to count on. I'm afraid to go very much over on any regular basis, but know it doesn't seem to hurt my losses much if it happens occasionally. Like yesterday.

And I'll bet most every bit of your 'gain' was water weight, so that usually goes away about as fast as it came on. The big thing is, you're feeling better again, and that's what is important.

You said you have a blog about baking bread?????? How did I not know this. I do remember seeing pictures of beautiful marvelous loaves you baked to take to your Friday services. Was that on the blog site? Did I just forget that you had a blog? Anyway, could you post a link to the site here or PM the site to me? I'd love to go and read there and learn more about baking breads.

I came to bread baking later in my life. Other than loving to EAT the bread. LOL But by the time I was interested in making some myself in my own home, my hands had already become pretty painful with arthritis (which runs strongly down my Dad's side of the genetics), so I found out I could knead it up in a bread machine, and that works OK.

Are you able to eat some of the breads you make? Special recipes? I anxiously await your reply!