Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
This is my simple EGG DROP SOUP recipe.

Egg Drop Soup

I use 4 cups of organic chicken broth (homemade preferred)
2 free-range eggs
1 TB organic apple cider vinegar

I also add 1 teaspoon organic toasted sesame oil, powdered ginger, salt, pepper and chives to make it taste like egg drop soup.

I love to add 1-2 bags of rinsed, dry-toasted shirataki noodles to this. YUMMY!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Here is my DD Menu Plan for today, I am still on my EGG FAST.

5 HB eggs 386 cals 2.8 carbs
1 container (64 oz) homemade egg white protein shake 100 cals 0 carbs

Totals 486 cals 2.8 carbs

Tomorrow I'll go back to my reg LC JUDDD menu for UP day.
Are you still using the chia seed *gel-stuff* (LOL) for your protein shakes?

I'm going to make the cold tuna-shirataki noodle salad you posted for me, and then fill in with hard boiled egg whites for the rest of my day's calories. Once the salad is put together and I know how much of everything I put in to make it, I'll have a calorie count for that, and then I'll be able to figure out how many egg whites to use to fill out the day.

I think I'll have about a third of the salad for lunch and then the 2/3s portion for supper tonight.

SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

No, I haven't been using chia gel in my protein shake, thank you for reminding me about it!! I may see if I can spare the calories! It may help to fill me up!

The cold tuna-noodle salad sounds good to me as well and of course, you know I was tossing it together off the top of my head and you can add / delete anything or change amounts!

I think I'm going to make the same thing tomorrow for my UP day as I will finish the Egg Fast today.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 06-05-2011 at 06:25 AM..
Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #34

Quote:
This is my simple EGG DROP SOUP recipe.

Egg Drop Soup

I use 4 cups of organic chicken broth (homemade preferred)
2 free-range eggs
1 TB organic apple cider vinegar

I also add 1 teaspoon organic toasted sesame oil, powdered ginger, salt, pepper and chives to make it taste like egg drop soup.

I love to add 1-2 bags of rinsed, dry-toasted shirataki noodles to this. YUMMY!
I have all of that on hand, plus a pint of ground up wet ginger from the Asian store, so I'll use the grated ginger instead of powder. Got to use that stuff up, and it only came in PINTS! It'll take me years...

I have dried chopped chives only, but I expect that will do.

AND, I just a few days ago bought my first bottle of actual unfiltered Bragg's vinegar, with the 'mother' still in it, making that cloudy look. It wasn't in with all the vinegars in the 'regular' part of the grocery, so I went looking in their separate Health Market section, and there it was. All set now. Ready for the *bloom of health* to hit any minute! AND, when I was reading about it, I found out you can cure warts with it, so now I'm prepared and just waiting for a wart to appear!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #35

Just wanted to pop in and thank you, RFL, for the cold tuna-shirataki noodle salad recipe!!! I just finished getting it prepared, and as I divided it between my lunch and supper saver containers to refrigerate, I tasted it. Oh, My Goodness. So good. And I'd never had the Neuman's dressing before, so that was new to me, and will certainly be in my refrigerator from now on. It is great.

So in addition to the salad quantity I made, I'll have 2 hard boiled eggs and 8 of the hard whites only.

And my 64 ounces of iced sun tea.

Looking forward to a good day. Have to run out to check one of the houses, so will check in later this afternoon.

Have a great day, Everyone!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I have all of that on hand, plus a pint of ground up wet ginger from the Asian store, so I'll use the grated ginger instead of powder. Got to use that stuff up, and it only came in PINTS! It'll take me years...

I have dried chopped chives only, but I expect that will do.
Sounds YUMMY!! You'll have to tell us how it turned out, what changes you made and the nutritional info!

Quote:
AND, I just a few days ago bought my first bottle of actual unfiltered Bragg's vinegar, with the 'mother' still in it, making that cloudy look. It wasn't in with all the vinegars in the 'regular' part of the grocery, so I went looking in their separate Health Market section, and there it was. All set now. Ready for the *bloom of health* to hit any minute! AND, when I was reading about it, I found out you can cure warts with it, so now I'm prepared and just waiting for a wart to appear!
LOL! So funny!!!

We have tried it on warts, but sadly, we did not get any results. We may try to again tho....
Old 06-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #37

Quote:
.....We have tried it on warts, but sadly, we did not get any results. We may try to again tho....
OK... so now I'm not looking forward to a wart so much...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Just wanted to pop in and thank you, RFL, for the cold tuna-shirataki noodle salad recipe!!! I just finished getting it prepared, and as I divided it between my lunch and supper saver containers to refrigerate, I tasted it. Oh, My Goodness. So good. And I'd never had the Neuman's dressing before, so that was new to me, and will certainly be in my refrigerator from now on. It is great.

So in addition to the salad quantity I made, I'll have 2 hard boiled eggs and 8 of the hard whites only.

And my 64 ounces of iced sun tea.

Looking forward to a good day. Have to run out to check one of the houses, so will check in later this afternoon.

Have a great day, Everyone!
YAYAYYYYYYYYYY!!!
You'll have to tell us if you made any changes and what you came up with for cals and carbs and how much it made. OH! How much dressing did you use?

I LOVE that Newman's salad dressing as does my hubby.

Enjoy! I'll be making that tuna-noodle salad tomorrow, so I'm interested in your feedback, amounts and numbers.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 06-05-2011 at 08:26 AM..
Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Yep, I'm gonna buy some of the dressing, too. It sounds like a real calorie bargain.

My favorite go-to meal on DDs is a mixture of spirooli-d zucchini mingled with angel hair shiratake that has been pan-dried, then topped with this very yummy marinara sauce I can buy locally that has 50 cals per half cup. I make up an enormous bowl of this - at least 3 big zucchinis that I turn into angel hair, plus 3 packs of shiratake, and two cups of the sauce. I like to make it a bit ahead because the sauce really gets into the zucchini and shiratake as it sits. In a fit of hunger I can even gobble it down cold. Love it. This usually lasts me through two DDs. SoHappy, when this sits for a while the miracle noodles become somewhat less chewy which you might like better. Maybe the acid in the tomato sauce breaks them down or something?

Here is my calorie surprise of the day - Kroger had a fabulous deal on fresh raspberries and blackberries, only $1 for a 6-oz container (usually $3.99!) There are 64 and 62 calories per cup of raspberries and blackberries respectively, which is great, but my surprise was that six and five of those calories come from FAT?????? I had no idea fruit (other than avocado) had fat. This doesn't matter to me, but I was surprised.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

RFL, I can so identify with your struggles to get back on plan. I went through a bad patch myself in May - just could not get back into the groove after many, many off-plan days in April. I had thought about doing an egg fast but, although I like eggs well enough I don't *love* them that much. I like an occasional plain hard-boiled egg, but I don't think I could get plain hard-boiled egg whites past my nose! I know me, if I'm not happy with what I'm eating I feel deprived and end up binging.

What I do love is meat and dairy. Specifically cheese, which is my main downfall (I try to not keep any in the house right now). But, knowing my food preferences and lack of control (i.e., uncontrollable hunger) at the time, I did some reading and tried the Dukan Diet "attack" phase for five days - nothing but very lean meat and non-fat dairy, but in unlimited quantities for five days. I ate lots of fat-free Fage yogurt, which was okay. Fat-free cottage cheese, blech, won't eat that again. Fat-free milk for shakes. I really like the Smart Balance fat-free milk.

I also found that I really liked burgers made from the ground turkey sold at Costco. I've only ever had pre-made frozen turkey burgers which were like, meh to me. But the ones from the "fresh" ground turkey were so good, I couldn't get enough of them and didn't even bother with beef during the attack. I have no idea how many pounds of that I consumed during the five days...but at the end of it, I was in control again.

I didn't even consider sticking with the Dukan Diet because by the end of five days I was realizing just how AMAZING the JUDDD diet is - the freedom and food flexibility of the UDs is just unbelievably appealing and satisfying. With Dukan you gotta stick for months to strict alternations of all-lean-protein days with all-lean-protein and veggies. After JUDDD it seems so restrictive, and from what I read in the book and online, the weight loss isn't any easier or quicker than with JUDDD. So it was a really great experiment for me - for whatever reason, at that time of my life I simply needed to eat A LOT, and I did, and at the same time got back into control and have been happily JUDDDing ever since. I will keep this in my arsenal if I go through another bad patch like that.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ahealinglady
Stats: 207/194/150
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
I use a variety of powdered greens but my favorite is Isagenix.
Great taste because they have some stevia in them.
Barley greens are also good but an acquired taste for most as they are VERY Green.
Best taken in a coffee cup to disguise the color LOL
Might work well with an egg fast as I've seen described in this thread.
Usually only 30 calories with no fat, no carbs but lots of nutrients and fiber.
As you know we all need fiber!
I found that to be my biggest challenge when eating low carb.
Inulin made from chicory root is in lots of products and can be purchased separately.
It is great in a hot drink.
Fills you up with no calories and keeps the plumbing moving if you know what I mean.

I am not currently doing Judd as I'm still in the investigation phase.
It looks like an option for a long term eating program.

At this point I still plan to do another 21 day hhcg session as that really helped with appetite control and fat loss. Taking these homeopathic drops worked well for me.
After I'm finished my second round then I may very well test out the Judd system.
It might be a good plan for the summer and if that works then ongoing....
Thanks for all the feedback.
ahealinglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Donna!

Thank you for your post, so helpful!!!!!!

I'm still battling the Binge Monster, in fact, we're having a battle today and I might just need to call it a day.

WOW, I love that noodle -zoodle-sauce dish! It sounds AMAZING!! What are the carbs in that per cup, do you know? How much does it make total?

I had read about the Dukan diet and saw it would not work for me, because JUDDD is so amazing. Even as amazing as it is, I still struggle BUT, I can get back on my feet better with JUDDD than anything else!

So, berries, huh? Sounds yummy! Sometimes I miss fruit, most times not. I think I need to find a way to factor more fruit into my UP days, so hopefully it will keep the Binge Monster at bay

Glad to hear you are doing so well back on JUDDD!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #43

Quote:
YAYAYYYYYYYYYY!!!
You'll have to tell us if you made any changes and what you came up with for cals and carbs and how much it made. OH! How much dressing did you use?

I LOVE that Newman's salad dressing as does my hubby.

Enjoy! I'll be making that tuna-noodle salad tomorrow, so I'm interested in your feedback, amounts and numbers.
OK, answering this first. I weigh out my foods by ounces, so just cut off a chunk and weigh it before I cut it up. 1.4 Oz. red pepper, 1.2 Oz. onion, 1.2 Oz. celery, 4.4 Oz. zucchini, about 3 servings of a combination of white shirataki noodle & speckled 'seaweed' shirataki noodle, 2 Tbsp. Sesame Ginger dressing, and 1 can of waterpack tuna, drained first. Salted it to taste. Tasted it and decided I wanted a spicy Asian version, so stirred in some hot chili paste that I found in my favorite little Asian shop.
Only 216 calories for a nicely sized bowlful.

I truly WISH I had made twice this amount... even more than twice, as I would FEAST on this stuff! It is that good. And here's the thing. Almost half of those calories are from the tuna. I do try to get in some protein on DDs, but I alternate those days with a lot more protein on UDs, so not getting all that much protein on DDs isn't a concern for me, as long as I can eat a LOT of yummy veggie-type foods like this one! So when I make this again, I'm going to increase my proportion of veggies and noodles to the tuna. (I try to balance my nutrients over the days, rather than worrying about each exact 24-hour period being exactly balanced.)

So! I will make this again in a flash! I might add in a bit more dressing next time. Proportions of the veggies could have been higher combined with the noodles and tuna.

Thanks so much for this, RFL. It's a winner for me!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Yep, I'm gonna buy some of the dressing, too. It sounds like a real calorie bargain.

My favorite go-to meal on DDs is a mixture of spirooli-d zucchini mingled with angel hair shiratake that has been pan-dried, then topped with this very yummy marinara sauce I can buy locally that has 50 cals per half cup. I make up an enormous bowl of this - at least 3 big zucchinis that I turn into angel hair, plus 3 packs of shiratake, and two cups of the sauce. I like to make it a bit ahead because the sauce really gets into the zucchini and shiratake as it sits. In a fit of hunger I can even gobble it down cold. Love it. This usually lasts me through two DDs. SoHappy, when this sits for a while the miracle noodles become somewhat less chewy which you might like better. Maybe the acid in the tomato sauce breaks them down or something?

Here is my calorie surprise of the day - Kroger had a fabulous deal on fresh raspberries and blackberries, only $1 for a 6-oz container (usually $3.99!) There are 64 and 62 calories per cup of raspberries and blackberries respectively, which is great, but my surprise was that six and five of those calories come from FAT?????? I had no idea fruit (other than avocado) had fat. This doesn't matter to me, but I was surprised.
Donna, I bet you'll love the Newman's Own Sesame Ginger dressing too. It's pretty darned good, and for only 35 cals per 2 T. it's amazing!

And I've just decided to skip the rest of my eggs which were prepared and figured into this day. I've already eaten one whole egg and 2 more of just the white and threw the yolk out for the birds. So if I subtract out the rest of the 'planned' eggs, that leaves me with 179 calories to devote to.... spaghetti dinner tonight!

(I got so excited telling about how good the tuna-shirataki noodle salad was that I just ate all of the portion that was being saved for supper!!! )

But that's a good thing, because now I'm going to have Italian for supper, I found a sauce for 50 cals 1/2 cup and have enough noodles left. I'll have to chop the zucchini, as I don't have one of those machines, but that's OK. I'm going to eat 179 calories worth of spaghetti dinner tonight with onion, chopped pepper and chopped zucchini in the sauce!

This is the best Down Day ever! LOLOLOLOL

And the berries were a real *find*. Lucky you! Great buy!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #45

Donna, just commenting on your post about the marvel of JUDDD compared to diets that restrict you so much, requiring low calorie for days, weeks, months on end, and handing you a big list of *No-No* foods before you get started.

It is so EASY for me to diet every other day. Now I'm not claiming that I have adhered to the calorie limits every single day I've done JUDDD, but even if you go over somewhat, you can still lose weight. And if you go over a lot, you can get back on anytime you want, and it will all start in immediately again.

And I really, really, really try to keep the UDs to a decent calorie ceiling. But we just came back from my 3-day 50th High School reunion of food, food, food... and we followed that with 3 different Birthday parties for DH, and of course, food, food, food. And JUDDD at a *relaxed* level kept me from going above where I draw the line in my maintenance weight.

I always say, "The Spoiled Brat in me loves not having to be on a diet at all every other day, and I do freely admit that I love the freedom from food lists on my UDs." And I don't pig out, and I don't eat tons of high carb food, but allowing myself a little bit sometimes has made all the difference for me.

Yup. Still LOVING the JUDDD!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealinglady View Post
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
I use a variety of powdered greens but my favorite is Isagenix.
Great taste because they have some stevia in them.
Barley greens are also good but an acquired taste for most as they are VERY Green.
Best taken in a coffee cup to disguise the color LOL
Might work well with an egg fast as I've seen described in this thread.
Usually only 30 calories with no fat, no carbs but lots of nutrients and fiber.
As you know we all need fiber!
I found that to be my biggest challenge when eating low carb.
Inulin made from chicory root is in lots of products and can be purchased separately.
It is great in a hot drink.
Fills you up with no calories and keeps the plumbing moving if you know what I mean.

I am not currently doing Judd as I'm still in the investigation phase.
It looks like an option for a long term eating program.

At this point I still plan to do another 21 day hhcg session as that really helped with appetite control and fat loss. Taking these homeopathic drops worked well for me.
After I'm finished my second round then I may very well test out the Judd system.
It might be a good plan for the summer and if that works then ongoing....
Thanks for all the feedback.
ahealinglady, I'm so glad you stopped back in! Wishing you great good luck on your next 21-day round of hhcg!

I'll be reading up more on Isagenix on Google this evening. Goin' to skip those barley greens, though! LOL

I agree with you about how important fiber is for us when we eat at a low or moderate carb level. Thankfully I don't have any *problems* there, but I do eat a lot of vegetables and fruit too, so probably get in a lot of fiber. I never take any fiber supplements, that's for sure.

Hope you'll stop by occasionally and let us know how you're doing on your hhcg protocol. Wishing you great success.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
OK, answering this first. I weigh out my foods by ounces, so just cut off a chunk and weigh it before I cut it up. 1.4 Oz. red pepper, 1.2 Oz. onion, 1.2 Oz. celery, 4.4 Oz. zucchini, about 3 servings of a combination of white shirataki noodle & speckled 'seaweed' shirataki noodle, 2 Tbsp. Sesame Ginger dressing, and 1 can of waterpack tuna, drained first. Salted it to taste. Tasted it and decided I wanted a spicy Asian version, so stirred in some hot chili paste that I found in my favorite little Asian shop.
Only 216 calories for a nicely sized bowlful.

I truly WISH I had made twice this amount... even more than twice, as I would FEAST on this stuff! It is that good. And here's the thing. Almost half of those calories are from the tuna. I do try to get in some protein on DDs, but I alternate those days with a lot more protein on UDs, so not getting all that much protein on DDs isn't a concern for me, as long as I can eat a LOT of yummy veggie-type foods like this one! So when I make this again, I'm going to increase my proportion of veggies and noodles to the tuna. (I try to balance my nutrients over the days, rather than worrying about each exact 24-hour period being exactly balanced.)

So! I will make this again in a flash! I might add in a bit more dressing next time. Proportions of the veggies could have been higher combined with the noodles and tuna.

Thanks so much for this, RFL. It's a winner for me!
SO COOL!!

You know what I love? I love that JUDDD works for all of us! I need / prefer the higher protein on DDs and you prefer the higher veggies and the SAME plan works for both of us! Even the same recipes (with tweaks for personal preferences). Love it!

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm glad it was as good in real life as it was off the top of my head,
Old 06-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

RFL - the calorie/carb count for the zucchini/shiritake combo is really low . A cup of raw zucchini is 20 calories. I figure I get about 8 cups out of the three zukes of the size I typically use. So that would be 160 calories for zukes, with a caveat - I "squeeze" them after cooking and lose a lot of the juice and I'll bet some of the calories go down the drain but I don't worry about subtracting anything. Carb-wise I think they are about 6 carbs per cup, about 4.5 net I believe. Again - since I squeeze it's probably lower, since a lot of the carb in zucchini comes from its natural "sugar" sweetness and much of that goes down the drain. The marinara I use is 50 cals per half cup, with 6 carbs, 5 net. I toss the zuke and miracle noodles together until they are really well mixed, then add in the sauce. This makes an enormous bowl full of food, which takes me a couple of days to eat - and I eat BIG bowlsful at a time plus my husband eats some--and the whole bowl is only about 360 calories so it's really low. I don't worry about the carbs in veggies like zucchini but I know you do track them all.

SoHappy - up until I got my spiral slicer I always just used a veggie peeler to make long linguini-like strands of zucchini. It works great but takes a while if you are doing several zukes. There's also a nifty little gadget called a julienne peeler that makes fine strands, but it's a bit more work than the larger strands from the peeler. Since I like to make so much at one time, I really appreciate the ease and speed of the spiral slicer. Also, there is very little zucchini left over when you use the spiral slicer, whereas with the peeler I usually had to stop slicing with a fair chunk left since I am a klutz and always worried about cutting myself when it got too small. The spiral slicer just leaves a little round "tube" from the very center of the zuke, and a stump about 1/4" thick, all of which I chop up and cook with the strands.

I just dump all the angel hair zucchini in a big bowl with a couple of tbs of water, put plastic over the top with a little bit of vent, and microwave for three to five minutes depending on how much is in the bowl. You just want the zucchini to be supple and bendy so it twirls around your fork, you don't want to overcook it. Then, I let mine cool and squeeze out as much juice as possible. This is just my personal preference - when you don't squeeze the zukes, the sauce tends to get watered down as the zuke releases its moisture.The zucchini strands are amazingly durable and stand up to heavy squeezing and subsequent tossing and twirling - not exactly pasta, but to me, close enough! Yesterday I finished the batch I had made on Thursday, but will probably make more tomorrow (if Aldi's has some zukes), and if I do I'll try to remember to take a picture.

I have to hide it from my husband in order to have leftovers, and usually hide it behind things like condiments, soup base, or jars of pickles (he doesn't care for pickles). He always wants to eat my food! He can eat "real" pasta but doesn't like it, and prefers mine.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #49

Spaghetti dinner with sauce and grated parmesan.

I don't even think I can eat all of this!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

LOL - now you see why it lasts a couple of days, SoHappy (providing it is hidden in a husband-proof location)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #51

Quote:
LOL - now you see why it lasts a couple of days, SoHappy (providing it is hidden in a husband-proof location)
LOL I didn't even make as much as you said you prepare! This is a regular sized plate, as I don't do that *use a small plate* trick, and it is heaping!

OK, girding my loins! I know I won't finish all of this, but if I get the hungry-nudge later on this evening, there will be something left to eat of my 500 calorie DD.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy and Donna: YUMMMM! All the noodle-y talk sounds amazing!!

ahealinglady: If I wanted to incorporate HHCG drops into my JUDDD plan for appetite control and fat burning, how would I go about that? Would I just take the drops on my DDs or would I need to follow some other plan protocol? Thanks for any info!

Well, today was an UP UP AND AWAY day! But, I'm not discouraged! I'm seeing that I guess I need the freedom to be able to eat different things and go over my calorie limit every so often, or I binge.

I'm thinking I may just schedule a "free" day once a week where I will eat what I want and hopefully not binge. I don't know if it will work, but hey, I'm trying everything I can think of to stay clean on JUDDD and keep losing.

So, tomorrow will be an all-day eggy day since today I ate lots of calories.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
RFL - the calorie/carb count for the zucchini/shiritake combo is really low . A cup of raw zucchini is 20 calories. I figure I get about 8 cups out of the three zukes of the size I typically use. So that would be 160 calories for zukes, with a caveat - I "squeeze" them after cooking and lose a lot of the juice and I'll bet some of the calories go down the drain but I don't worry about subtracting anything. Carb-wise I think they are about 6 carbs per cup, about 4.5 net I believe. Again - since I squeeze it's probably lower, since a lot of the carb in zucchini comes from its natural "sugar" sweetness and much of that goes down the drain. The marinara I use is 50 cals per half cup, with 6 carbs, 5 net. I toss the zuke and miracle noodles together until they are really well mixed, then add in the sauce. This makes an enormous bowl full of food, which takes me a couple of days to eat - and I eat BIG bowlsful at a time plus my husband eats some--and the whole bowl is only about 360 calories so it's really low. I don't worry about the carbs in veggies like zucchini but I know you do track them all.
THANK YOU DONNA!!!!!!!!!! I'm copy / pasting this to myself via email.
I planted a lot of zucchini and they are just flowering now. I can't wait for my zukes to come in. I most likely will use more shirataki noodles than zukes because of the carbs in zukes (I need to try to shoot for low carb).
Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #54

Interesting article on 5-HTP for hunger control and weight loss - - - - - RFL, did you say you were thinking of taking this?

TRYPTOPHAN'S BACK - And It's Called 5-HTP

NATURAL HELP FOR WEIGHT GAIN, MIGRAINES, INSOMNIA, ANXIETY, AND DEPRESSION

When it comes to treating weight gain, migraines, insomnia, anxiety, or depression with natural remedies, the key word to remember is serotonin. This is a specialized brain chemical, called a neurotransmitter and sometimes dubbed "the mood molecule."

Serotonin is central to controlling mood, sleep, pain levels, and appetite such that physicians are starting to talk about a "serotonin deficiency syndrome." For a conventional physician, Prozac is the latest drug of choice for enhancing brain levels of serotonin, but in the world of alternative medicine, doctors reach for an amino acid (protein building block) called L-tryptophan.

That is, they used to reach for it, until the FDA banned it, seemingly forever, in 1989, based on a fluke contamination incident involving a single batch produced in Japan. It's hard to imagine banning a fundamental nutrient - it's like outlawing vitamin C - but the FDA is not known for being in accord with human biology and the requirements of nutrition or healing.

Curiously, banning tryptophan - a safe, inexpensive, effective, and natural precursor to serotonin - opened the door for Prozac and its imitators which have enjoyed huge financial success in the 1990s as synthetic mood elevators, despite their considerable side effects.

The FDA restrictions on tryptophan were eased somewhat in 1996 so that physicians could prescribe it to patients. But now tryptophan is back - and legal for everyone, without a prescription - in the form of a consumer product called 5-HTP (5-hydroxy-tryptophan).

SLEEP EASILY AGAIN - A Norwegian study showed that 5-HTP can affect sleep patterns by increasing the levels of serotonin, which is needed for sleep. Serotonin is needed to produce melatonin, a hormone which regulates sleep-wake cycles.

The researchers injected cats with 5-HTP (40 mg/kg body weight) or L-tryptophan and found that both substances had a "general deactivating effect on the waking state" and produced a deep sleeping state. For humans seeking relief from insomnia, it may be helpful to take 5-HTP on an empty stomach about one hour before sleeping.

REDUCES ANXIETY - in a 1990 study in The Netherlands, 20 patients with panic disorder took 5-HTP (60 mg intravenously). None of the patients demonstrated an increase in depression or anxiety following treatment, while nine patients in the control group reported a depressed mood. Several of the 5-HTP patients stated that the infusion was "a relief" and subsequent blood tests showed that blood levels of melatonin increased after the 5-HTP infusions.

LIFTS DEPRESSION - in a 1991 Swiss study, patients diagnosed with clinical depression were given either 150 mg of fluvoxamine (a standard antidepressant drug) or 100 mg of 5-HTP, three times daily. The patients were evaluated every two weeks using standard tests for depression. After six weeks, both groups showed improvement, but the 5-HTP group had a larger percentage of improved patients and a slightly higher degree of improvement. The effect of 5-HTP also became greater as time passed; that is, it produced more relief in week six than in week two.

Another report compared the results of three studies involving 5-HTP and imipramine (another standard antidepressant). All three trials showed no difference in the effect of the two substances. Once again, 5-HTP performed as well as the conventional drug and 5-HTP did not produce the side effects of dry mouth and tremors typically caused by imipramine.

HELPFUL FOR WEIGHT LOSS - A 1992 study with obese subjects in Italy found the 5- HTP produced "significant weight loss." Specifically, 5-HTP helped patients reduce their carbohydrate intake and gave them a feeling of "early satiety" - that they'd eaten enough and felt calorically satisfied. This, in turn, led to a reduced food intake and, from there, weight loss was at hand.

Even without special diets, those in the group taking 5-HTP lost an average 3.1 to 3.7 pounds during the six-week study; those in the placebo group averaged only a 1.1 pound loss. "These findings together with the good tolerance observed suggest that 5-HTP may safely be used to treat obesity," concluded the researchers. Typically, for weight loss purposes, 5-HTP is taken at a dosage of 50-100 mg about one-half hour before mealtime.

PROVIDES MIGRAINE RELIEF - There is some evidence that 5-HTP may be helpful with migraines. A Spanish study compared the use of 5-HTP and methysergide, a conventional migraine drug. A large percentage of both patient groups showed "significant" improvement: 75% of the methysergide group and 71% of the 5-HTP group had benefits.

In other words, 5-HTP produced nearly comparable benefits to a standard migraine drug. The study showed that 5-HTP was most effective in reducing the intensity and duration of the migraines rather than the frequency; 5-HTP also produced fewer side effects than the drug. The obvious additional application here is to use 5-HTP as a prevention for migraines, if you are already susceptible to them.

HOW 5-HTP WORKS - Tryptophan is found naturally in several foods, including cow's milk, eggs, poultry, and some nuts and seeds. Tryptophan obtained through the diet is usually converted in the brain into 5-HTP, which is then turned into serotonin.

Prozac, Zoloft, imipramine, and other antidepressant drugs work by influencing serotonin levels. Specifically, they belong to a class of drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (or SSRIs). These increase the serotonin level indirectly by blocking its inactivation; that is, they prevent the brain cells from using up serotonin too quickly, causing a deficiency. But by definition, SSRIs interfere with the brain's natural physiological regulatory system, in which cells slow down serotonin secretion.

In contrast, the tryptophan in 5-HTP (a highly purified extract from Griffonia simplicifolia, a West African medicinal plant) provides brain cells with the necessary materials to make more serotonin, without blocking any normal metabolic processes and without the serious side effects of the SSRIs, which include dry mouth, reduced libido, heart palpitations, tremors, and anxiety, explains pharmacist Earl Mindell, R.Ph., Ph.D. He calls 5-HTP the natural Prozac, noting "it does what the SSRIs cannot: increase the cells' production of serotonin to boost serotonin levels."

You would think that simply by eating more tryptophan-rich foods you could provide your brain with all it needs to produce more serotonin. But there's a catch.

There is a constant struggle between tryptophan and other amino acids (e.g., tyrosine, phenylalanine, leucine, methionine, and histidine) to gain access to the brain. So, if you start eating a high-protein diet, you increase the blood levels of these competing amino acids and tryptophan levels in the brain actually decrease.

On the other hand, a high-carbohydrate/low-protein diet (or a big serving of pastries or pasta) causes the release of extra insulin, which wipes out the competing amino acids and allows more tryptophan to get into the brain. Taking tryptophan as a supplement avoids both horns of this dilemma.

The typical recommended dosage of 5-HTP for improving the symptoms of "serotonin deficiency syndrome" is 25-50 mg daily, although Dr. Mindell recommends two 50 mg capsules daily, provided they're not taken with other antidepressants or monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors. Higher daily dosages (over 100 mg) could cause some side effects, including mild nausea. Vitamin B6 should also be taken on the same day as 5-HTP because it is necessary for converting 5-HTP into serotonin.

Article by John Anderson

(Reprint, "Alternative Medicine" magazine, Issue 25)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi SOhappy,

Yes, I have taken some of this, but haven't really seen any positive results, certainly not what the articles state will happen. Perhaps I need to be on it for awhile, not sure.

My youngest daughter takes it (5-HTP) and melatonin to sleep as she has a sleep disorder and it works very well for her, but she doesn't take it for weight control.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #56

Woo Hoo! I'm down 1.6 pounds from this time last Monday morning! This is really unbelievable because we were right in the middle of my big reunion get-togethers and DH's series of birthday party dinners hadn't even begun.

If I ever needed proof of how JUDDD can smooth over any of your dining *indiscretions* and negate the sins of your celebratory overeating, this week is it. I did a pretty good job, even enjoying our special occasions, and a real good job on the other days, but I was still surprised by how the week ended. JUDDD did a good job for me, while I just did an *OK* job at it.

Today is an UD for me, and I will make it a delicious, nutritious day, plenty of protein, and not go overboard. Just haven't figured out what sounds good. It's going to be hard to surpass the delicious tuna-shirataki chilled salad and the yummy mound of spaghetti dinner I enjoyed yesterday on my DD! (I forgot to mention that I even had enough calories left of my DD 500 to put two tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese over the spaghetti and sauce! Can't beat that!

I know one thing I have to do today, and that is BUY GROCERIES! It's not that the cupboard is bare as much as, I'm out of some of the veggie basics I rely on as ingredients for so many of my favorite meals. I did bring home a couple of 1-1/4" thick pork chops yesterday, so DH is going to love supper tonight!

Suggestions on how to prepare the pork would be welcomed! Uhhh.. except that we don't have a grill. So something that can be done in the kitchen if you have ideas for me.

Hugs to my fellow JUDDDers! I'll be back to read later. Wondering how everybody else did over the weekend.

Last edited by SoHappy; 06-06-2011 at 07:05 AM..
Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning!!!!!!! Happy Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY for you SoHappy!!! You ROCK girl!!!!!!

JUDDDD works, it really does. No matter how we use or abuse it! LOL! (speaking of me, not you regarding abusing it! ).

I'm so thrilled for you and your excellent loss!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh, sorry cannot help you on the piggy department, we eat Kosher and thus no pork. I hope you find a good recipe that you and hubby enjoy.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Good Morning!!!!!!! Happy Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY for you SoHappy!!! You ROCK girl!!!!!!

JUDDDD works, it really does. No matter how we use or abuse it! LOL! (speaking of me, not you regarding abusing it! ).

I'm so thrilled for you and your excellent loss!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh, sorry cannot help you on the piggy department, we eat Kosher and thus no pork. I hope you find a good recipe that you and hubby enjoy.
Cracking up here! Sorry... forgot about that, my dear Friend. Iowa (farm & pork country) here, so I eat 'em. LOL

I'm writing out a grocery list right now. Have to put a lot more shirataki noodles on the list. I have gone from their #1 UN-fan to being a huge fan of the noodles, once I read you talk about frying/drying them in the skillet, and that really does take away that rubber-band chewy texture that I hated so much. Now they are a major food item on my DDs, really adding so much filling bulk to my foods without the addition of hardly any calories.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is the Good, Bad and the Ugly! (Just my reflections and ramblings, feel free to skip them, I write them to help me. If someone else relates and can comment great! But don't feel you have to.)

I had some type of gastric reaction yesterday (I have a VERY sensitive GI system since the chemotherapy ravaged it) and was quite sick and in pain that was affecting me greatly.

Not sure if it was from the L-Glutamine or the chia seeds or even too many eggs BUT, I ended up eating to quell the pain. It worked, but I didn't stop there (it was too much fun eating all sorts of foods :blush So, it became a FREE day (Actually, more like a Free-For-All)!

Now, I'm not bragging or promoting that at all. It's binge eating at its worst and it's horrible, but I'm just posting for honesty.

I'm not too upset because I really did try to avoid it and treat the pain in a LC way, which did not work. What I regret is that I didn't stop when the pain was remedied. But, I also know this tendency about myself, so while I am sad, I am not shocked or even devastated.

And my scale was NOT nice to me this morning! I DID expect that, but I am a committed daily weigher and like to know the GOOD, The BAD and The UGLY!!

That said, I am once again getting back on the JUDDD horse, only NOT doing a DD today as I still need to heal physically and emotionally from the binge. I will shoot for an MD - UP day and see how we go. I'm planning on grilled chicken breasts, roasted veggies, salad and egg white protein shake.

I did take L-Glutamine, plus 5HTP and we'll assess the reaction today.

It's such a complex situation of what works, what doesn't, what triggers a binge, what doesn't affect.... the main thing is that I know this is my tendency and YET, I have lost 60 pounds and CAN lose the other 40 on JUDDD. It may take longer to finish than it took to get here, but FINISH I WILL!

So, I'm off to eat something and see if my tummy will play nice today!

What's on everyone's menu for today?

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 06-06-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Hey there, happy JUDDDers! I'm happy, too. I had a good UD yesterday although I couldn't really figure out my calories, but I'm pretty sure they were within a reasonable range. RFL you probably don't eat oysters either, right? I love 'em, and Costco had a "seafood event" with some incredible deals, including a great buy on oysters. I have a recipe for crispy oven-fried oysters which we love love love and we had those for dinner. Yum yum. No gain today.

SoHappy I have always liked this pork chop recipe - if you like the taste of caraway, maybe it would work for you. It's an old WW recipe.

Braised Caraway Pork Chops

4 center-cut pork chops (6 oz each)
1 tbs plus 1 tsp margarine (old recipe - ha ha! I've used bacon grease, olive oil, butter, whatever)
1 cup each chopped onions and sliced mushrooms (canned work if you don't have fresh)
1/2 tsp each caraway seed and salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1-1/2 cups water
1 tbs plus 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley

On rack in broiling pan, broil chops, turning once, until rare.

In 12" skillet heat margarine until bubbly and hot. Add onions and saute until softened (I actually like to carmelize them a bit). Add pork chops, mushrooms, caraway seed, salt and pepper and cook for five minutes. Add water, cover, and let simmer until meat is tender about 45 minutes. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Note: I add either pork bouillon or chicken broth instead of just water, and I thicken the liquid at the end with a bit of gluc. I also put most of the parsley in the gravy. It makes a yummy gravy for zucchini noodles or mashed cauliflower! I've also made this many times by just browning the chops in the skillet instead of doing the broil thing.

WW info says per serving, 345 calories, 35 gr protein, 20 g fat, 5 g carb. Makes four servings.