Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
JUDDD for June (2011)

June 2011 JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day/Down Day Diet)
The following information has been copied from the JUDDD official website:

Getting StartedThere are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr Johnson's website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnson's site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger ManagementThe key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow.

Diet StressOther diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/moodWe have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up DayOn the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down DayIt is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body WeightHow much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

What People On The Diet Have To Say“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.

“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.

“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.

“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.

For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Beginning the month with a DD because Wednesday is always a DD for me.

I notice in Dr. J's info that he asserts the key to successful DDs is finding 'what works' for you, and I really think that's true.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
hello all ^^

pretty june is here again

i haven't been JUDDDing lately (vacations at my in laws + diploma stress) but i'm glad, I haven't been putting any weigh back on

I wish you all a great JUDDDday and I get back to my studies ! final exam starts on friday !!!

take care
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Good Morning All!! Good to see you ANNIE and LEO.

<sigh> After a clean MD, my scale this morning showed a 2 pound INCREASE. (Please don't anyone tell me not to weigh daily - I've heard that suggestion for a long time, but I prefer to weigh daily. Thank you.)

Today is a new day and a new month and I will do my best not to let this derail me or my resolve.

I'm off to take my hubby to the surgeon for a pre-op clearance, and I'll be back later.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Good Morning Everyone!!

UD here. It is almost 9 am and I'm almost at my limit for calories for the day! That should tell you how hungry I was this morning. I will still try to keep within my calorie parameters for today somehow.

Hope everyone has a nice day!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Good Morning JUDDDers, Happy new month!

This month marks my 6th month following JUDDD. Last month I was gone for a couple of weeks on vacation. Road trip. DH and I had a pretty good time, minus the tornadoes. I followed JUDDD (mostly) the whole time. I did have two UD's in a row, two times. I came home to an almost two pound loss. Woo Hoo.

Leo, I agree 100% regarding successful DDs. Find what works for you! My DDs have morphed over the months. In the beginning, before I found "my way", I struggled every DD with hunger. I don't know if I just have the combination right, or my body has adapted to very little food, every other day. Whatever the reason, I'm comfortable on DD's, I expect to not eat much and I'm okay with it. I am losing very slowly, but I am losing. From 240 to 211.6 in 6 months. Considering that I lost the same ten ponds over and over in 2010, this is a remarkable accomplishment. I know as long as I follow JUDDD I will continue to lose weight...slowly but surely. That's just fine with me!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
{{{RFL}}} - I hear you on wanting to weigh every day. When I first started JUDDDing I planned to weigh only once a week. At first it was okay, since I was on my annual winter trip with no scale! But gradually I got back onto the daily weighing rollercoaster, and I guess I'll always have a permanent seat there.

I'm up 2# too - after being sort of thrilled that I didn't gain over the holiday weekend despite a couple of over-the-top UDs. And yesterday was a really good DD! But you know, those 2# are gonna come off. I'm finding it interesting to see the different way my body is reacting to food and these daily weigh-ins are helping me see it. Before JUDDD, a long weekend like the one I had would've sent my weight soaring five or six pounds. So a delayed bounce of 2# is actually not so bad. I think my body is relearning how to metabolize food, or something like that!

Good to see you again Blonde! I'm glad to hear you had a nice trip and dodged the tornadoes.

Very hot here again today - we've been in the 90s which is waaaaay to hot for our area for this time of year. Our old farmhouse isn't air-conditioned. We do have window units but have never had to put them in before mid- to late-June before. I think we'll be putting them in today!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Hi Blonde- Glad you had a great trip--and congratulations on the loss! For me, it was very liberating the first time I went on vacation and realized that although I couldn't do JUDDD 'perfectly,' I could lose or maintain--and still enjoy myself.

I'm the Queen of Slow Losers and can testify to the fact that it adds up over time. For me, consistency is the key.

Redeemed-
I'm a 'morning eater,' and on DDs, I usually have 80% of my calories by
10 am. At first, I was afraid to eat so much so early, assuming that I'd inevitably go over my calorie limit for the day. But that hasn't been a problem. I keep 50 cal for a late 'emergency,' but I've found that my body doesn't bother me to eat later if I feed it early, as it seems to want.

I am continually amazed by this.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surfnmom
Stats: 182.4/182.4/135 (5'5)
WOE: juddd/5:2
Start Date: 4/5/13
Hey everyone I'm back. Had to try other diets and I successfully lost the same 5 pounds over and over lol. Nothing like dieting myself fatter.

Today is an up day for me. Seems Dr. Johnson's web site is gone. Goggled it and went to the site and there is just an Ok on the page. If anyone has another link could you post it, Thanks.

Well after trying different diets, this one seemed to be the most doable for me. I am committing for the whole month of June. Don't no why I left, but I guess it help me to figure out which way to go.

Going back and read last months post. Have a good night all
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Had a wonderful UD.. It was DH's Birthday, and we ate out twice, very portion controlled but not, not low carb, so will see what the damage is in the morning.

Annie, glad to see you check in. Study well, and good luck on finals.

Blonde/Rose, glad your vacation was so nice and you're even down a couple of pounds.

surfnmom, glad you're back too and taking up JUDDD again.

Too little sleep last night. I seem to have gotten off my sleep/wake cycle by a couple of hours lately, so seem to be getting awfully short nights, waking too early. And this is without Leo's cat waking me up, so don't know what my problem is.

Hello to the rest of our JUDDDers. Hope your day went well today for all of you. See you in the morning.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evening Y'all!

Hi Donna! Hugs to you too! We'll hang in together, right?
Hi SoHappy! Glad you had a great day and tomorrow is a new start. The beauty of JUDDD.
Hi Cheryl! Welcome back!
Hi Blonde! WOW, you're just doing great, just getting it done! Good for you!
HI Redeemed! I hope your day went well after your hungry morning.

Another clean but higher cal MD (clean thus far anyway) and hoping to get to bed without damage. Have a great night everyone!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Welcome back Cheryl!

Blondie Congratulations on doing so well on your vacation!

I am going to call yesterday's UD a freeday and forget about it. :blush: Will get back on track today and plan on having 600 calories with 700 being my limit. I plan on pushing back my weigh-in day to next Friday as it will take me a couple of DD's to undue yesterday.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning Everyone! Happy Thursday!!

Redeemed: Been there, done that and I'm still here! I call those days...Up UP AND AWAY days. They happen. Today is a new day and His mercies are new every morning. Fresh slate every day. That's what gets me through. I hope you have a great day today!

Yesterday, I ended up with about 1200 cals and 20 carbs (11 net), which was great considering my hunger level and the calories were all LC. YAY! I consider that a victory! I'll take those victories!

TODAY, I will pray and do my level best to make it a 600 cal DD. However, if it is not possible due to hunger, I'll shoot to top off at 1000 cals.

Today I will be doing a lot of high-carb cooking and baking for family and friends so I need to be extra diligent!

I hope y'all have an AWESOME JUDDD day!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surfnmom
Stats: 182.4/182.4/135 (5'5)
WOE: juddd/5:2
Start Date: 4/5/13
Gm everyone and thank you for the welcome back. So nice to see a positive bunch of people. Man the other diets and there forums are so depressing and not very encouraging.
Going to hit the store today and pick up some low calorie stuff, today is my first dd. I think Sf jello and I will become good friends. I like it and a good go to snack.
Read last months thread, and refreshed my self on this diet. You got to love the simplicity of this diet.

Sohappy you can do the 7 pounds

Leo can so relate to the slow loss. Menopause was my down fall, at 53 all my added weight went mainly to the waist and it is just been a slow go for me since I went through the change.

Finally did all my blood work and everything was fine except my vitamin D. It was 22 the doc put me on prescription D to get it up. Did some reading and low D can cause a lot of problems So hopefully this could have been the root to my weight gain and the fatigue and a few other aliments. But over all heath pretty darn good.

RealFoodLiving Good luck with the cooking, stay strong. I'm lucky that I don't have to do family cooking anymore, my daughter took it over. Of course for me its the showing up and eating is my down fall. lol

Well I have decide to stay off the scale until the end of the month. The scale has always been a diet breaker for me. And If I stay on plan then I should have no worries about it. Would like to see 10lbs gone but will take whats given. lol

Will check in later, need to get some stuff done and run to the store. Have a great day everyone
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"Seems Dr. Johnson's web site is gone. Goggled it and went to the site and there is just an Ok on the page. If anyone has another link could you post it, Thanks."

Very strange! There are books available on Amazon, but yes the website has disappeared! It may have something to do with Resveratol? IDK.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #16

Enjoying my DD today. Just coffee and veggie soup/broth so far. Doing well. Except...

As it turns out, we have been invited to DH's son's home where he and his wife will be holding a birthday dinner party celebration for DH, so I'll do some good DD fasting until evening, and then relax and enjoy the dinner party. I'd forgotten about this plan. Well, it will be fun, and I expect I can still hold this day to a MD. I'll go for a true DD tomorrow if necessary.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
{{{RFL}}} - I hear you on wanting to weigh every day. When I first started JUDDDing I planned to weigh only once a week. At first it was okay, since I was on my annual winter trip with no scale! But gradually I got back onto the daily weighing rollercoaster, and I guess I'll always have a permanent seat there.

I'm up 2# too - after being sort of thrilled that I didn't gain over the holiday weekend despite a couple of over-the-top UDs. And yesterday was a really good DD! But you know, those 2# are gonna come off. I'm finding it interesting to see the different way my body is reacting to food and these daily weigh-ins are helping me see it. Before JUDDD, a long weekend like the one I had would've sent my weight soaring five or six pounds. So a delayed bounce of 2# is actually not so bad. I think my body is relearning how to metabolize food, or something like that!

Good to see you again Blonde! I'm glad to hear you had a nice trip and dodged the tornadoes.

Very hot here again today - we've been in the 90s which is waaaaay to hot for our area for this time of year. Our old farmhouse isn't air-conditioned. We do have window units but have never had to put them in before mid- to late-June before. I think we'll be putting them in today!
I would think those two pounds will come off quickly after a good DD or two. Isn't it wonderful how forgiving JUDDD is? A long weekend on just LC would have sent my weight soaring five or six pounds also. It sure is early in the season to be having 90 degree weather.... whew...keep cool!!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
"Seems Dr. Johnson's web site is gone. Goggled it and went to the site and there is just an Ok on the page. If anyone has another link could you post it, Thanks."

Very strange! There are books available on Amazon, but yes the website has disappeared! It may have something to do with Resveratol? IDK.
His respresentative contacted Leo and said they were going to do a new site, so maybe this has something to do with it. I hope they don't just let it drop because the site is valuable to new JUDDDers.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Morning Everyone! Happy Thursday!!

Redeemed: Been there, done that and I'm still here! I call those days...Up UP AND AWAY days. They happen. Today is a new day and His mercies are new every morning. Fresh slate every day. That's what gets me through. I hope you have a great day today!

Yesterday, I ended up with about 1200 cals and 20 carbs (11 net), which was great considering my hunger level and the calories were all LC. YAY! I consider that a victory! I'll take those victories!

TODAY, I will pray and do my level best to make it a 600 cal DD. However, if it is not possible due to hunger, I'll shoot to top off at 1000 cals.

Today I will be doing a lot of high-carb cooking and baking for family and friends so I need to be extra diligent!

I hope y'all have an AWESOME JUDDD day!
Too cute!! Yes, so very glad His mercies are new every morning!!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #20

Good Morning, Everyone! Just popping in to say HI before a busy day that is going to keep me running and away from the computer until later in the afternoon or evening. Hope you all have a good and productive and fun day.

Remember when I declared just a few days ago that I wanted to lose some more weight during the month of June? Well, so far... all I've done is gain! We've been to three birthday parties and it's all just sort of become a blur. I've got to pull myself back from the edge of the abyss and cut this back down again. I seem to start out wonderfully and feel like I'm doing a great job, and then the evening party is just too irresistible, and I find that I just don't care enough. LOL

OK, trying to care harder today and get back on a more straight and narrow track. I'm going to be working hard but will try to do a DD-MD range of calories. Asking for some strength here.

Also, lately I'm not able to stay asleep for more than a few hours each night, and I think that is beginning to get to me. Too much awake time, waiting for sleep to come, waiting to get back to sleep again, watching the clock, waking up multiple times throughout the hours I'm in bed. Very frustrating!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Friday Morning JUDDDers!!

Good to see everyone posting! YAY!!

SOHappy, I'm with you on this one. I take 2 steps forward and 1 (or more) steps back! OV VEY!!

BUT, as much as the thought persists that I should just give up, I know I cannot. I gotta keep getting up each new morning, take G-d's new mercies and pray to stay strong and get through the day clean!

Tonight is our fellowship buffet. Usually my downfall on Friday nights. Well, I'm going to pray and see if I can SKIP the whole thing and just drink my shake or eat what I bring and not even partake of the buffet. That would be a victory for me! YAY!

HOPE HOPE HOPE and FAITH are the reason I keep coming back and getting up on the JUDDD horse again, even after falling off so many times.

Today I'll try more L-Glutamine as well if I get so very hungry. They seem to help a bit.

Does anyone take L-Glutamine or 5HTP for appetite control?

Have a blessed JUDDD day everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #22
Senior LCF member

I rely on low-carb eating for appetite control.

It's not perfect, but I prefer learning coping strategies that I can use long term because I know that weight management is a lifelong process for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi fellow juddders! So far, June is a bust weight wise. I am up one lb. and not undertanding why because I have been so good at sticking to plan. I do SOOOO much better when I can see results.
I fly to Denver in the am to visit my brother for the weekend. Luckily it will be an up day tomorrow and I will try and scrounge up something low cal at his house on Sunday.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
Glad to see we have a nice little group showing up.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evening y'all!

I'm still here on JUDDD and not going anywhere!

I had an AWESOME DD today! YAY!

I even passed up the buffet except for 4 baked kale leaves dusted with Parm.

DOUBLE YAY!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Snaggle,

I'm sorry you're discouraged by the scale, I know it can really be a kicker. But the scale is not the only means of gauging our success on JUDDD.

Are you working out?
Are you losing inches?
Are you retaining water?
Are you getting enough sleep?
Are you eating too many calories?
Are you eating ENOUGH calories?
Are you alternating according to the JUDDD guidelines?

These are things you can look at and see if there is anything that needs to be changed.

Also, just throwing this out - sometimes alcohol intake can sabotage weight loss. I don't know if you partake, but it's something to toss out as an option.

Hang in there Snaggle! We're with you!

How about posting your daily menus for a few days so we can help you see better what you're eating?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning Y'all! HAPPY SATURDAY!!

What are your plans for today? We have a houseguest and I've been cooking and baking. I'll do more today and then I have my radio show (I am a talk show hostess) tonight.

Well, after an amazing DD (and even being victorious over the weekly buffet which includes my favorite pizza!) my scale showed a BIG loss! YAY!

I really like weighing daily, I think it gives a truer picture than once a week.

Today is an UP day, but I'm going to keep my cals on the low side of UP. I have 2 more pounds of the 5 overage to remove to get back to my sig weight and I think a couple more great DDs and restrained UDs will do it!

Loving my JUDDD!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pugmama
Hey Y'all! Seems like forever since I have been here...as of yesterday, school is out for the summer!!! Now, it's time to take out my JUDD and get with it! I probably won't get to ck this site very often (any site for that matter!), but just reading your posts helps me get my focus back!
Happy Judding everyone!
Blessings,
liz
Pugmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just checking in. Successful DD yesterday, definitely easier when I'm working and too busy to think about food. Hope everyone is well.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi Blonde and fellow juddders,
I am the same way. I have a heck of a time pulling off successful dd's on my days off.
I ended up doing 3 mediums in a row while in denver since my brother and his wife only had really carby junk at their house. So much for being in ketosis.
Back to a down day today!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #30
Senior LCF member

Blonde & Snaggle- It goes to show that we just do what we have to--since I'm retired, my DDs are usually at home. Of course, since I live alone, I have the luxury of controlling what food is available, but I find it easier to be at home on DDs.

On Wednesdays, also a DD, I volunteer at our local library, and at first I thought that would make it easier, but I'm used to drinking my hot tea all day long, and I can't get enough fluids there.

For me, the convenience of being home and controlling the environment makes the DDs easier.