Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #121
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Redeemed- That's what I would do--i.e., make Saturday a MD.

By the way, if you haven't done many MDs, I had a lot of problems with them at first. They always seemed to escalate into UDs. So I now treat them as a DD--with additions. That seems to work better for me. I plan DD food, and then decide what else I'll add to make it a MD. This way the MD seems more 'luxurious.'

When I was first doing it, I think I was mentally cutting back an UD, and that made me more dissatisfied. But I may just be weird, and this may be no problem for you at all
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smardie
Stats: 250/245/215
WOE: 5.12
Start Date: 3/5/2013
Redeemed,

Make Saturday a medium day but more on the low side, so that way you can really enjoy your UD without any guilt.
I was thinking of doing the same myself, because I have a graduation party to go to tonight and I am going out with a friend for dinner and a movie Wednesday, but I have decided to stick to the plan and keep Tuesday as my low and use this as a test, and have no beer or cake tonight. I am not going to back down when an obstacle stands in my way.
I hope to do this diet for a while including when I vacation ( would modify it ).

Have a good day gang and stay on path .
smardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #123
Senior LCF member

Mark-
I've done a version of JUDDD on vacation. I couldn't do really strict DDs, but I kept my DDs to under 1,000 cal and was careful on UDs not to indulge. While my goal was just to maintain while I was away, I always managed to lose a few pounds this way.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Hi Everyone!

Just checking in. Hope everyone is having a good week. I decided to have two UD's in a row to turn my schedule around. I am sure that when weigh day comes I'll just barely brake even, but I know how forgiving JUDDD is and how easy it will be to turn things around next week.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #125
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

Those 2 UDs might not 'hurt' too much. When I first started JUDDD, I really couldn't get the knack of a MD, so my weekends almost always wound up as 2 UDs--and I lost each week anyway.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eok2008
Stats: 324/316/169
WOE: CAD
Start Date: Restart CAD 11/29/2011
Just dropping in for a few minutes to see what is happening. Been awhile.
eok2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok2008 View Post
Just dropping in for a few minutes to see what is happening. Been awhile.
EOK: 731447vgkq83qxle.gif Welcome Back! I don't think you were posting the last time I was active on the JUDDD thread. How long have you been doing JUDDD? How is it going?

As far as what is happening...We plan on moving this thread to the Challenge section on Low Carb Friends starting in July. Feel free to come and join in!! In the meantime, we are posting until the end of the month here on this this thread.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Hi Everyone,

Went to a movie on my UD and ended up getting popcorn ( medium ), I should have got the small size or better yet none at all.
I was up on my dd ro 231.5, I ended up with around 600 calories on my DD but felt I had it under control, but did eat some wasabi almonds.
Today, back on a UD, I am going to stay pretty low carb and drink lot's of water.

My clothes feel loose, and I feel good,so something must be going right. Rome was not built in a day.
Redeemed, how was the Indian food ?

Last edited by smardie; 06-24-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

3059019s4fsd032fu.gif

Mark Maybe the next time you go to a movie you can make your popcorn ahead of time. Measure out the calories take it to the show (undercover of course) with you. You are a brave soul to weigh after an UD!

I have been thinking about weighing only monthly. It seems that if I know I have lost a couple of pounds, I justify too easily treats and snacks on my next UD. I might be a little stricter not knowing about my successes.

We went to the Indian restaurant last Sunday. Everything was wonderful. We plan on going back again next Sunday as a treat for my husband.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-24-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #130
Senior LCF member

Mark- I adore popcorn, especially movie theatre popcorn. But I also know that it's made with nasty stuff (bad oils), and in my old age, I'm very health conscious, and that helps me avoid it.

In addition, during my very, very long weight loss journey, I began to understand that it was also helpful to change some of my 'food habits.' So now I just don't eat at all in the movies--when it was one of my favorite times for munchies. It was difficult at first because all 'habits' are hard to break, but now I don't even think of food.

What helped me see this as a 'habit' is that I live close to NYC and often attend Broadway shows. There's no tradition of eating during a show, most of which are longer than movies. They now sell water and candy during intermission, but most people don't buy any because we've all been used to not eating in theatres.

Sometimes we're just eating out of habit, and that's the kind of eating I've tried to stop doing.

Redeemed- I weighed myself weekly during this weight loss journey mainly because I needed to know how well my calorie restriction was working (if at all), but when I was 14, I went on my first 'diet' and followed the conventional wisdom at the time to weigh monthly. I think it's great if you can do that. I was always 'rewarded' with a nice loss, and keeping the scale in the distance really helped me focus on my WOE rather than responding to a scale number.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

I was reading on the LC food threads, some people make thier own snacks for the movies, low carb candied pecans or just bring pork rinds or spiced nuts.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend
Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi all, I am just coming by to say hello and check in. I agree Leo about the movies. That is one place I can pass up food without too much problem. Especially if I eat dinner first. Last week we saw a movie together and neither had anything and it was easy. Now, if Mark caved in and had the popcorn and I was sitting next to him, then it would be hard.

I am in a funk because the hcg is not exactly "melting the pounds away". I have been stuck for 3 days. I plan to give it the standard 21 days, but if things do not pick up next week, then I will not do the 4th week I had planned on. Phase 3 is basically atkins and I cannot tell you how excited I am to have a little cheese and some fat!
Anyway, I hope you are all chugging along and enjoying juddd.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #133
Senior LCF member

Snaggle- Is the HCG really killing your appetite so you can manage those 500 cal days? I'm afraid I'd be chewing on the kitchen table.

I've been reading on the Dukan thread, and the immediate loss there is only for those who have NOT been low carbing. That is, it's the usual Atkins drop of mostly water from low carbing. After that, it is the same as Atkins in terms of loss, and I think it's a lot more complicated than Atkins--just my opinion.

I had a decent drop from eliminating fat for a week, and I'm doing it again until the end of June. It might be a good thing to do during maintenance if I go up a couple of pounds [oh, the horror ]. But I'm waiting to see how my body responds this week, since it just seems to love to hang onto its weight.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #134
Senior LCF member

Unbelievable!
I delayed weighing this week because I had a workshop to do yesterday, and I didn't want the scale number to upset me before I had to present--silly, I know, but I still haven't detached myself from having emotional responses to the scale number.

I've been trying this month to get into the 140s to see if that would be a better place to maintain for me, but for some reason, my body has been holding onto 150 for weeks.

This morning, the scale said 144.5. I got on it 3 times because it was unbelievable to me, but I got the same number each time. I suspect that my body was just holding onto water for all this time. But I really want to see if I can stay here by the end of the month. It just seems unbelievable to me.

However, I have been doing a version of Stillman for about 2 weeks, eliminating most fat and focusing solely on protein. I didn't think I was losing 'enough' given that change, but I guess it actually worked--I hope.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

484434weadiltopn.gif Good Morning Everyone!

Leo That is fantastic!! You must look really small by now. You have found a way to change plans within plan. Shake-up always works for me. How nice to be slimmer for summer.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Hi all, I am just coming by to say hello and check in. I agree Leo about the movies. That is one place I can pass up food without too much problem. Especially if I eat dinner first. Last week we saw a movie together and neither had anything and it was easy. Now, if Mark caved in and had the popcorn and I was sitting next to him, then it would be hard.

I am in a funk because the hcg is not exactly "melting the pounds away". I have been stuck for 3 days. I plan to give it the standard 21 days, but if things do not pick up next week, then I will not do the 4th week I had planned on. Phase 3 is basically atkins and I cannot tell you how excited I am to have a little cheese and some fat!
Anyway, I hope you are all chugging along and enjoying juddd.

th_Clipart_Railway_Train_5.gif
Old 06-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ladies, I am up bright and early and feeling way better than I did the last two days.

Leo!! Wow, I am blown away by you. 144 lbs. You are downright skinny! Unbelievable that cutting the fat would make such a dramatic difference. Can I assume that your calorie level stayed the same, or did you lower it? I also wonder if it is just the idea of mixing things up and "fooling" your body a bit. Part of me thinks that I have to continually change what I am doing, woe-wise because my body gets stuck in a rutt.
As usual, I am curious as to your theory on the subject.

I am back down another lb. and feel as if the hcg is definitely working. In 12 days of this diet, I have lost 10 lbs. Now 4 of that was the " load weight" that I put on in preparation, but even if I don't count that, it is still 6 lbs. The last time I ever lost this fast was in high school when my best friend and I did "the 9 day wonder diet" in preparation for our post-graduation trip to hawaii. I have been convinced ever since that my metabolism was messed up by that diet. Anyway, I am now thinking I will continue for my full 24-28 days. The only problem I have had sticking to plan is at social events. I am not hungry, but it is just difficult for me to see and pass up delicious food that is right in front of me.

Redeemed- Perhaps weighing monthly could yield great surprises for you too?
I know for me that I must weigh daily because it is just too easy for me to get in the habit of "putting off" the truth and it always coincides with going off plan.

Have a great sunday everyone!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #138
Senior LCF member

Snaggle- Since I already eat low calorie, I didn't lower them any more. In fact, I actually ate at a higher level on DDs but the same or slightly lower on UDs. So it balanced out to what I had been doing before.

I agree that any change shakes up the body a little (I've seen this explained by 'experts,' so I'm not relying on my own opinion), but here's why I think cutting fat worked for me. (Keep in mind that my fat was moderate, not the high fat that many eat.)

I'm already VLC, so in cutting fat, my body had to convert protein into glucose for daily energy. That's the body's last choice; it's more difficult for it to convert protein, so it prefers carbs or fat, but without them, it's forced to use protein.

In converting protein to glucose, the body uses more energy (calories) for the process, so the body's daily demand for calories is increased. If you don't give it any additional calories, you have a greater deficit.

By eating mainly protein, I increased the amount of protein I was eating daily, and this is necessary to insure that the body has enough for all its processes. I think that cutting calories could be dangerous in this process because the body would not have enough protein for maintenance.

What surprised me is that I expected to have less energy doing this because of the need to convert protein, but I actually felt better eating this way. At the end of this week, I'm going to go back to 'normal' eating, but I think I will keep fat fairly low and try adding some carbs instead. I know I can't go too high on carbs, but I also know that I feel better with less fat (old age, I think).

I'm glad you're experiencing success with HCG. When I'm in a social situation where I have to limit my eating, I psych myself up in advance. That is, I go with the intention of not eating or eating x and no more. I find this helps me deal with the temptation of so much good food. I declare it off limits for myself before I ever see it. It's purely a mental game, but I've had success with it. Alas, it's never easy.

Last edited by Leo41; 06-26-2011 at 07:34 AM..
Old 06-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Way to Go Leo !

Sometimes, I think the scale must be broken and want to smash it with a hammer and other days, I want to kiss it, like today when it said I weighed in at 227, granted that was after I got up and went for a 65 minute walk, but 227 it is.

I weigh everyday and even weigh sometimes before I go to bed, ok, so I might be a little looney, my wife is always telling me that....I noticed I lose overnight on average 2 pounds, sometimes 2.5. It is usually on a DD that I have been really good and I just can't wait till the morning to weigh.

Movie tip, go see Midnight in Paris with Owen Wilson. Very funny and just a feel good movie.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #140
Senior LCF member

Mark- That 227 is great--well below that 230 you were trying to break! We all weigh more at night--which is why I only weigh first thing in the morning. I just don't want to see that higher number.

By the way, can you bring your own food into the movies? If I tried that here, I'd have to hide it because there are 'rules' against bringing in one's own food. Another reason I avoid movie eating. I'm convinced that I'd get 'caught' with contraband food and banned from the theatre forever
Old 06-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #141
Junior LCF Member

Leo,

We snuck in about 9 pork rinds last night and I broke them up and tried my best to eat them quietly.

With the Holiday weekend fast approaching, I am going to have to re-work my schedule. Today is an UD, my plan is to go M-DD,t-u,W-d,Th-Med, F-d and Sat-u and S-Med and M-d
Old 06-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #142
Senior LCF member

Mark- That alternation looks fine--in my experience, the MD is a really helpful tool for switching DDs that fall on a holiday or other 'eating occasion.'

Several times on holidays I had consecutive UDs, and I found that the DDs are powerful for eliminating any gain from that.

What's really nice is being able to actually enjoy the holiday eating without worrying about every morsel. Way back when I began JUDDD, it was mid-December, and that was the first Christmas dinner I'd actually enjoyed in many years!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #143
Senior LCF member

Everybody's been awfully quiet here; I hope no one is having problems.

I'm having a DD, it's 9 am, and I've already had 400 cal.! However, as some of you know, I'm a 'morning eater,' and this may be 'it' for the day. I get up at 3 am, and it's not unusual for me to be 'finished' eating on a DD by 9 or 10 am.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

315878kf54mbtzyx.gif Hi Everyone!

I have been very busy but still check for new posts on this thread daily. I confess I have been a little off plan. Tomorrow is a DD and that should get me back on track. I still plan on going all of July staying on plan and weighing myself at the end of the month. This will be my "summer project."

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Leo, I am around. A little peeved that I am up a half lb today, but I gotta take the ups and downs, weighing daily. Feeling good however.

I am curious about your experiences with maintenance. One of the things I ponder a lot is how to transition into maintenance. I have never been successful and I blame it on the fact that I have never hit goal, and therefore, have never embarked upon maintenance with the zeal that I have with losing. One of the things I plan to do a bit different this time is try and "practice" maintenance after I finish hcg. Due to vacation timing and just knowing how life gets for us in the fall, I doubt I will have a lot of luck losing. This time I want to see if I can keep the same weight all fall,and thru the holidays, then try another hcg round in January.
SOOOOOO, my plan is to up the down days to 700 cal, have one med day of 1400, then have 4 ups of 2100. This will give me an average of 1600, which should be a conservative and do-able number unless I am even more messed up, metabolically, than I thought. It is only 2 real down days however. I wonder if that is okay, or if I would be better just doing a pure alternation, but with 1100 as low and 2100 as high?
It seems like your downs are still pretty severe, or do still consider yourself in a losing phase rather than maintenance? Do you feel you have gotten to a point where your metabolism is healed at all, or do you still need to keep calories overall really low in order not to gain?
what percentage difference are your ups vs. downs? I know for losing Dr. johnson wanted the downs at 20%.
Sorry to barrage you with ?, but I really trust your wisdom and longtime experience with juddd, and I do intend to use it's principles as a major part of my maintenance plan.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Hi Leo! I'm here too, lurking and stuff. I'm doing well except I'm going to be having a bad hair day for awhile....

Hello Everyone!!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #147
Senior LCF member

Snaggle-
Sorry about the scale, but I, too, am emotionally tied to that number, and even if I know it's just a 'water fluctuation,' I get depressed too easily over higher scale numbers.

Today's DD is only low because I'm just doing 2 DDs this week (along wth 2 MDs). I actually haven't 'found' my magic maintenance formula yet, but I'll keep you posted.

You were away while I was trying to maintain at 152-155 for a couple of months, but here were the problems:

1. Very unexpectedly, once I began 'thinking maintenance,' food issues that I thought I'd lost with the weight resurfaced! I was tempted to have an 'indulgence' more often than I should, and I should have realized that any grains or sugar is an instant 'trigger' for me. So I often found myself just overeating--almost a binge--just because I began the day with a muffin or a bagel.

2. So although my original intention was to do 600 cal DD and 1400 cal UDs (my metabolism is permanently shot, I suspect), I had to keep my DDs low because my UDs began to get out of control (this NEVER happened to me during weight loss). To avoid gaining, I even had to turn some UDs to MDs because the previous UD was so high.

3. I 'maintained' for about 4 months, but it wasn't 'successful' maintenance because I was constantly having to balance things because I'd find myself unexpectedly overeating. I realize now that I have to stick to low carb.

If I can hold onto this 145 this week, then I plan another try at 'maintenance' in July. I've already identified the 'temptation' to allow myself the occasional indulgence, and I realize that's a mistake--unless it is very, very occasional. My carb level has to stay at no more than 25g a day. (I've always been extremely carb sensitive.)

I've read that to maintain, you have to eat pretty much as you did to lose, and I'm finding that's true in my case. I'm hoping that the 600/1400 low carb plan will work for me because that's very 'do-able.' In fact, if I find that I have to go lower, I think I'd lower UDs because I'd really like to avoid the very low DDs.

I'll keep you posted.

Another friend of mine who has been maintaining for about a year is experiencing the same problems that I am, so we think it might be a 'universal' experience. She doesn't do JUDDD, but she's had to cut calories severely during the week to avoid gaining because she found herself overeating on weekends.

Neither of us gained, but neither of us is comfortable with the way we've been eating--too many extremes.

Last edited by Leo41; 06-29-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Old 06-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Snaggle I am curious about the hcg. Does it help control appetite? Are you losing as well or the same as if you were doing JUDDD?

Hi Blonde Did you get a haircut you didn't like? or is it the rain?

Leo Thanks for rounding us up on the thread. I read once that people who have an accountability group do better losing weight than those that don't.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #149
Senior LCF member

Redeemed - I've read that, too, about 'accountability group' helping--and it has certainly helped me! When I started JUDDD a few years ago, there was a very active group, and I don't know whether I would have been able to manage it without their support.

Blonde--What's the problem with your hair? Is it the weather? My own hair is a mess because I've put off my cut and color longer than usual (doing it next week) so that it will be in good shape during my vacation.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Hi Leo and Redeemed and fellow JUDDD'rs!

The problem with my hair is that I put off the cut and color too long and then went overboard. Too light, too short, and unmanageable at the moment. At least I have an excuse to wear a hat, it's blazing in SoCal!

I agree about accountability, it's huge! I like being able to come here and talk about JUDDD and I don't mind not seeing all the food stuff. Down days are hard enough (that's me today). On that note I must confess that I had a carbfest yesterday and I didn't sleep very well. I need to remember that next time. My DD's are always spot on though, it's my promise to myself.

Hope everyone has a successful day!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote