Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
1153804v7d4mkj8cs.gif

I bumped Kesha's original JUDDD recipe thread. It has some of Ouis' recipes and some of the soup recipes that are excellent; as well as input from others. It was a group consensus at the time to have one spot to chronicle recipes so they didn't get lost in a maze of threads. At that time, the group wanted a safe place to talk about JUDDD and get support without getting derailed by incessant "chatter" about food, especially on a DD. So feel free to add to the recipe thread. I wish somehow we could combine some of the recipes from the other JUDDD recipe threads. If anyone knows how to do this, that would be great.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-10-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #62
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
This week I was down 3 lbs into a 'safe' area of my 'maintain' weight, but I don't think it was more than 1 lb of 'fat' loss. What happened is that last week, for some unexplained reason, the scale bounced UP two pounds.

That really depressed me because I was eating totally on plan and averaging only 1070 cal a day. Surely I couldn't gain on that? I began to worry about my thyroid issues, but mainly I just got depressed--which was really stupid because I know that I can have weird water fluctuations, and I rationally should have just ignored it and stayed on plan. I really need to stop having emotional reactions to the scale number.

But I immediately went out and bought a bagel AND a muffin for breakfast, and that spurred me to have a high carb day. So by Sunday, I was surely up even more from those carbs (but I didn't dare get on the scale). I went right back to JUDDD-ing low carb, and this morning I'm back down a pound from the start of the month. And back to a 'safe' area of my 'maintenance' range
(150-155).

I know my stats say that 145 is my goal, and that may be more emotional behavior on my part--i.e., the 'number' in the 140s 'sounds' better than the 150s. But I feel and look fine now, and I still have episodes of low BP that can be disturbing, so I might be better off just staying where I am.

My sister insists that if I had my loose skin removed (not going to happen), I'd lose 20 lbs, but I think it's closer to 10. However, given even that amount of loose skin, my body weight is fine as it is. In fact, my endo was satisfied when I originally planned to maintain at 170, so I need to be realistic about this.

Probably TMI for all of you, but sometimes I think that others can get insights from all our struggles.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #63
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
Thanks for bumping up that old recipe thread! I don't know how to do that, and I know there are great DD ideas from those early days that would be a shame to lose.

Those of you who can't find it--it's the JUDDD recipe thread started by Ilpirata--one of our veteran JUDDDers, who isn't around LCF much these days.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Leo~Yum on the DD shrimp. Thanks for posting your struggles with the weird weight gain. I can only hope to be within 10 pounds of my goal, but I know that without diligence it can all come back. You are an inspiration to me! I don't think the bagel or muffin will hurt you once in a awhile and I think it helped you to jump back in and see good results.

Up day for me today! Not sure what I'll be doing yet. I think what I ought to do is put in my Zumba dvd and learn the basic steps.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #65
Senior LCF member

Blonde- I agree that a bagel or muffin shouldn't hurt if only occasional, but I'm finding that grains are a 'trigger' for me so that eating them in the morning makes me insatiable for the rest of the day. (I'm very sensitive to carbs. When I first tried Atkins in '73, my CCL was only about 25g a day--beyond that my appetite returned big time, and I began to gain.)

Oddly, the few times I've had a dessert in the evening, usually with a restaurant meal, I don't feel that 'trigger.' One of the principles of the Carb Addicts' Diet (I never did it, but I read the book) is that it's OK to have some carbs with the evening meal because we won't experience that hunger so close to bedtime. That seems to be my experience. Several times I've had a dessert with a 'special' meal--and didn't notice any effect at all on either weight or appetite.

In any case, I'm 'off' any treats for a while; just sticking to low carb.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Leo, Good for you getting right back on track. The whole scale/self esteem/emotional reaction thing is pretty universal I think. Even friends of mine who have always been normal weight, get very bent out of shape when they are up 5 lbs. I always have wondered if those around here who rarely weigh, or only weigh once a month, do better at keeping the emotional part of eating under control?
For me, I must weigh in order to stay accountable, although the unexplained ups can really mess up a perfectly good week.
I did fine last night at the book club. ( I wish I could post a picture of my ridiculous get-up) We all concluded that ethiopian food is actually really healthy and our meal was relatively low carb too.
My goal is to keep today as a down, but will not eat anything (not too hard for me usually) until tonight and just graze whatever is offered at the bday party and try and keep it to what I estimate is 500 cal. Hopefully, there will be low carb offerings.
Poor hubby will probably fall to pieces if they have a cake. He is always a sucker for cake.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, I have a question and you seem to have the most insights about food/triggers, etc.
Do you think all grains are created equal when it comes to how they make you feel physically, and also in terms of the trigger response. I do know that I feel good when I am low carbing, but I really want to be able to enjoy certain foods from time to time in small quantities. For example, I wonder if corn, rice and potato elicit the same response as wheat products. Then of course, there is sugar.
I know it is probably different for everyone, and I will need to experiment with the CAD concept, as a way to test it.
Everybody:
I am curious as to what grains/carbs seem to be the safest ones to add in for you, or all they all a slippery slope?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #68
Senior LCF member

Snaggle- I think you answered your own question--it seems to be an individual thing. I love oatmeal, but never eat it because of the carbs, but a few years ago on a cruise, I had a big bowl for breakfast and just felt 'full.' No trigger at all. The problem is that I'm not sure that would happen if I ate it on a regular basis.

When I reported not being bothered by desserts in the evening, I was talking about a one-time event in perhaps 6-8 months, so I wonder sometimes whether my 'immunity' was because the indulgence was so rare?

I read a lot on the Mark's Daily Apple site, and although grains are a no/no with primal eating, a lot of the 'real' athletes have them, and they report differences in how different things affect them. Some have no problems with rice, for example, and others report that they can't have rice without hunger and cravings.

So in addition to the type of grain, I think the specific situation also impacts how it can affect you. Personally, I've come to believe that the key to weight management is getting to know yourself and how your body responds to certain things. It's possible that no two of us are identical in terms of how we function.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

731637fd9scmie11.gif

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd check in. All of my DDs have gone well since restarting JUDDD. Most of my UDs have gone well. I weighed after an UD yesterday (I know, don't tell me!) and I have maintained my initial 4 pound loss. So, I have done okay, but could have done better. I plan on making this my woe until goal, so I need to fine tune my Up Days.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #70
Senior LCF member

Redeemed- Do you plan to lower calories on UDs? Sometimes just a few lower can make a big difference--but sometimes it's best not to 'tinker' for a while to see if loss improves. I've found that the water fluctuation issue can make weight loss more difficult to assess.

For example, I've had times when the scale showed no loss, although I'd been eating according to plan--and then suddenly it would drop significantly. I know that it was because while I was losing, my body was holding onto water for a while.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

593568p887g2dyd0.gif Good Morning Everyone!

Leo I need to stay on my current plan for a couple of weeks with no slips on an UD to see if this rotation is right for me. If I lost 4 pounds the first 4 days that is a good indication to me that my numbers are good. Even though I know it is just water, it is still a good indication that my numbers are going to be effective in helping me lose. I have been so busy working nights with lots of overtime, that I haven't had two days in a row off where I have had plenty of sleep after a DD to weigh myself. That has always been the best time to weigh myself, and can make a difference of a couple of pounds if it is at the end of my weekly rotation.

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-12-2011 at 04:16 AM..
Old 06-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Leo I have a two day weekend coming up, so my goal is to have a solid week of JUDDD and weigh a week from Monday (today being a DD). Then, I think I will be getting into actual weight loss when I continue on for another solid week of no slips. I know I can do this. I really don't mind the DDs.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #73
Senior LCF member

Redeemed- You are wise to wait to weigh until you have a chance to be well rested. I've read that we lose best while sleeping, and sufficient rest should be part of any plan for weight management.

I had a vivid experience of that a couple of months ago. I was planning to weigh as usual on Saturday morning after my regular Friday DD. That night, the cat was bothering me about 2 am, and I finally got up to feed him. Before going back to bed, I decided to step on the scale to see what I'd lost that week--and I was disappointed that there was no loss at all.

I went back to sleep and didn't get up again until 6 am. I weighed myself, and I was down 1.5 lbs. It was a true loss because it stayed with me. So somehow between 2 an 6 am, my body dumped 1.5 lbs---and the only variable was REST.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smardie
Stats: 250/245/215
WOE: 5.12
Start Date: 3/5/2013
Hi,
I am new to the board, I am Snaggles husband, and my name is Mark.
My wife is always taking about this group and how it motivates her to stay on track, so I figured I should give it a go, cos', God knows, I can use all the help I can get.

A bit about me, I have been in the past 6-15 years up and down with my weight( currenty 6.3 234) and would like to find some kind of plan where I could stick to without feeling I was on some strict diet.
Juddd appeals to me because of the up days and being able to work parties around my week and still stay on course. I briefly tried this plan last year, but I had way too many carbs on my up days and did not always hold true to the dds and thus it did not work.

So, I am back at once again and hope this thread will help me stay focused.

Last edited by smardie; 06-12-2011 at 12:00 PM..
smardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Honey! welcome to our little group. Don't get offended when we start writing about girl stuff. ( Not that you aren't used to it. )

We haven't had a guy here in a while. ..................speaking of which, Leo, do you know what ever happened to Bill? I always enjoyed his input.

anyway, the more the merrier I guess.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #76
Senior LCF member

Hi Mark-
It's nice to have a guy here!

[Snaggle--Bill sent me a PM about 3 or 4 months ago that he'd had family issues and was very occupied with parent care. He said at that time that he expected to be back soon, but we haven't heard anything further from him since then.]

Mark--I think you've accurately identified the problem. In my experience, JUDDD only works if you're consistent. I lost 100 lbs in 2 years with JUDDD (and low carb), but I did 3 DDs a week and never missed one of them. I'm not saying this as a form of self-congratulation, but simply to indicate that the secret to my 'success' was consistency. It helps to have an obsessive personality

What about doing just regular low carb? I would think a guy your size could eat a lot and still lose just eating low carb without the calorie cycling of JUDDD. I'm not trying to discourage you at all--just asking.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Mark 651171i085p8my3i.gif 651171i085p8my3i.gif Don't be nervous cuz we're all gals...we're a friendly bunch!

Last edited by Redeemed; 06-12-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Leo,

The problem with doing just low carb is there is too much good food out there to give up and in the past when I have done just low carb, Atkins, I get burned out just eating no carbs and eventually go off and once off, I tend to gain back fairly quickly.

I had a big up day yesterday and today I am hoping to have a low DD.

Already got my work out over with, so I am good to go there and the rest of the day, I am going to try to drink lots of water.

Does anyone have any good low carb bread recipes ?

Thanks for letting me in the all girls club !

Mark
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #79
Senior LCF member

Mark- After I posted my question, I thought that might be the problem for you. I am one of those weird people who has no difficulty with low carb--perhaps because I'm so very carb sensitive. Unfotunately, I also need to stay very low calorie--thus JUDDD.

There should be a lot of low carb recipes in the recipe section of this board. Rather than try to search, you can post a request for a good bread recipe. The bakers should respond eagerly

You can also 'buy' low carb bread. I've seen it online in various places. You might try Netrition, the sponsor of this board. They have great products and terrific customer service. In the olden days when I ate grains, I really enjoyed their low-carb tortillas for making wraps. They can even be fried for chips.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Juddd gang:
Well, I might as well come clean with the group since I may not be posting too much over the next few weeks. I have decided to try the hcg thing. Let me explain.
When I came back to lcf recently, I was shocked at the volume of lcf'ers who were doing it. I had heard about it, and rejected the concept a couple of years ago, but was always intrigued. I mean, who wouldn't be drawn to the whole concept of fast weight loss with no hunger? Back then, it was pretty far out of the mainstream, but now everybody is talking about it. I would not have even considered it, if I hadn't found so many folks around here, and on other boards that have had long term success. I have spent the last 4 weeks researching all over the place and have decided I want to give it a go. I feel like I am going into it with low expectations and will just see what happens. If I had encountered a lot of folks with horrible side effects and other issues, I wouldn't be doing it.
I still love juddd, and plan to use it as part of my hcg maintenance, or, who knows?, maybe I will hate the whole hcg thing and come crawling back here, begging to be let back into the fold.
I wish I had the patience of Leo, but I don't and right now I am super gung ho and willing to try something extreme, and see if, perhaps, it could be something that works well for me.

Mark is not doing it, because he is doing well with Juddd and wants to see what happens with my little experiment.
I will pop in from time to time over the next few weeks, to see how you are all doing, and will definitely be back in August, when I am done with the protocol.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

484480ieiel6jje0.gif

Mark Here is a link to 18 pages of bread recipes from the recipe room here at LCF: Breads and Pastries - LowCarbFriends Recipes If you are near a Trader Joe's Store, they have a very good low carb sprouted wheat bread. I buy on-line from Cybros Bakery in Wisconsin. Their sprouted bread is excellent at 4 carbs a slice.

Snaggle Maybe the hcg thing is just something you'll have to do to satisfy your curiosity. There are many who do hcg and JUDDD at the same time, so I hope you still stay with us if you want. I will comment that I read where the hcg people are very hungry all the time when they do that 500 calorie run for a long time. My pastor and his wife did the hcg diet - lost a lot of weight - gained it all back and it looks like even more. Personally, I wouldn't want my post menopausal body thinking it's pregnant. I, personally, would find it hard to encourage the hcg part of your woe, but could find it easy to support the JUDDD part of your woe. I guess I need "Diversity Sensitivity Training" when it comes to this moderin day mixing and matching of woe's!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #82
Senior LCF member

Hi Snaggle- I understand how Redeemed feels, especially because she's personally known a 'negative example' of HCG, and, as you know from your research, there are a lot of positive ones.

I wish you well because I think we all need to find what works best for us. When I first came to JUDDD, it was with a lot of skepticism because I couldn't imagine functioning, much less continuing, on 500 cal every other day. Yet it turned out to be right for me, as this may be right for you.

My reservations about HCG have to do with the fact that it's a 'hormone,' and I entered menopause at a time when HRT was all the rage. Yet from my menstrual cycles, I'd seen the enormous power of hormones in our body--and from my thyroid experience now as well. I knew I would never take any hormone into my body unless, as with my thyroid, it was the only solution to a medical problem.

However, just as JUDDD was 'right' for me, this may be right for you.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Just checking in. The last couple of days have gone well. My DD just started as I do Midnight to Midnight. Going up in my DD number of calories from about 450 to 600 has made a remarkable difference in how I feel about Down Days. I don't have that sense of doom I used to have when they started. My breakfast and lunch are the same every DD. The only variable that changes is the type of soup I have for supper. For my UD's I think I will keep my breakfasts and lunches pretty much the same, with supper being something different each Up Day. This will help keep calories more manageable I think.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #84
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
I read once that successful dieters tend to keep their meals similar and fairly simple. At the time, I'd already been doing that, and it was nice to see some confirmation. I tend to have the same things throughout the week, with minor changes on the weekends.

Over time, I've found that by not bothering with recipes or different ideas for meals, I am less 'invested' in food, and for someone like me with 'food issues,' that's important, IMO.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Leo You sure get up early in the morning! I am at work and can use my laptop when things are quiet. I Love the recipes I see on LCF, however, they tend to be high in calories. I think you are right about keeping meals simple. With limited calories to work with, I want to get as much nutrition as possible with my meals.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #86
Senior LCF member

It's my cat! He wakes me about 2:30 am. I often go back to sleep--at least until 4 am, but sometimes he bothers me so much that I am up from 2:30. Needless to say, I go to bed early. [Since he was 4 when I adopted him, my vet says it's probably impossible to change his 'biorhythms.' That's the problem with cats--we have to adjust to them.]

Since I've been on JUDDD, my primary focus has been getting in enough protein because that's essential to losing as little muscle as possible while losing weight (some muscle loss is inevitable, but without sufficient protein, we can lost too much).

I find that protein also helps with appetite control, too.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Redeemed, thanks for the bread recipes and the tip on the Trader Joe bread.

I had about 585 calories on my DD yesterday and I did a spinning class on a bike for 55 mins and drank lot's of water.
But when I weighed in this morning I was a half pound higher ( I did weigh in about 90 mins earlier than usual and had a big glass of water right before bed ).

Leo, my dog, Scamp, says Pftt.. on getting up at 2:30 am...he likes to sleep in, often he does not get up until after we do and he is only 5 years old.
He says, he would be glad to chase your cat around the neighborhood to tire him out..lol

Have a good one and keep the faith
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #88
Senior LCF member

Mark-
In his book, Dr. J advises against working out on DDs because we don't really consume enough calories to support exercise. One of the reasons I don't do a 'true rotation' is because I keep my workout days to UDs.

He also advises only weighing once a week after a DD, and I've learned that one reason for this may be because the weight fluctuations with JUDDD are fairly dramatic. My 'weigh day' is Saturday morning, but a couple of times, I've weighed mid-week and been scared because the scale seems to be up 3-4 lbs. But by the following Saturday, that's all been resolved and I show a loss. So it's likely that this morning's scale number is not your true weight.

Also, keep in mind that when you step on a scale, what you ate the day before is barely digested and certainly not processed for fat gain or loss. That process usually takes a minimum of 48 hours. Dieters make a big mistake when they 'tinker' with their eating plan because they assume that they're measuring the effect of the previous day's food when they step on a scale.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

1130162ney5u2jkoi.gif Good afternoon everyone!

Hope everyone is having a nice day JUDDDing!

UD for me today. I had most of my alloted calories already. I should finish up the day at 1850. A little high but not too bad. Sunday should prove to be interesting when I weigh myself, as my calories have been a bit higher this time around with JUDDD. I don't feel like I am losing weight, but I'll know for sure when I weigh in on Sunday.

How's it going Mark? How is Snaggle doing? My cat, Oscar, is a little luv-muffin like Leo's. He thinks it's time to play around 3 in the morning. I get more sleep in the summer when the dog and cat are outdoors.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #90
Senior LCF member

Unfortunately, Redeemed, my cat is totally indoors, so I never get rid of him--except when I escape to do errands

My first cat (who adopted me when I hated cats) was also a stray, but she was very, very aloof, and although I played with her every morning before work (she liked to chase things) and she slept with me, she wasn't the least bit affectionate. I used to 'wish' she was a lap cat.

This guy is the fulfillment of that adage, "Be careful what you wish for." He is super affectionate, loves every human he meets--but he is SO 'high maintenance'--will whine and complain when I'm not doing what he wants (he has me well trained, but sometimes I can't figure out what he wants me to do).

Today is my regular DD, since I only do M, W, Fri. DDs, and it's gone well so far. My day to weigh is Saturday, and that's also my sister's birthday. I'm hoping for good news on the scale to help me resist the temptation of that cake. No loss, and I'll want to drown myself in that buttercream icing! I really have to work on my emotional reaction to that scale number.