Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I find that my DDs are easier at home when I am off work. The types of foods I enjoy on DDs need to be cooked or reheated; and I don't have access to a microwave at work. Also, I can go to bed early when I have a day off so I don't need the extra calories.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #32
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Although DDs are never 'easy,' what I've found from doing JUDDD for so long is that they have become 'routine.' It's almost as though my body expects less food on my DDs--but I'm sure that's all in my mind.

In any case, the fact that I woke up this morning with the idea that--"Wednesday--a DD" and felt positive about it--makes it a lot easier, it seems to me.

Anyone else have this experience?
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

That is intersting, Leo. I was just thinkiing last night that my body "likes" JUDDD. There is a rhythm to JUDDD that my body wants to follow.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I was just commenting to my husband last night, after finishing my dd dinner, that I am having a much easier time with my down days. Although I was not able to do them over my weekend in Denver, I was able to pull off yesterdays at under 400 cal.
For me, I lost best on JUDDD when I kept the dds on a true rotation and kept medium days to a minimum. I always have felt that the big caloric swings are key to success.
In one down day back, I lost the 2.5 lbs that appeared over the weekend.
Have a great day everybody.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
Senior LCF member

Snaggle-
Good job with that loss! That was always my experience when holiday or vacation kept me from doing DDs for a weekend or so--one good DD took care of any gain. It's one of the great things about JUDDD.

And, as you experienced, when I haven't done a DD for a while in those situations, my body seems to demand one, and I find the 'first' DD very, very pleasant.

This is the opposite of what people report when they go off a plan like Atkins and have difficulty getting back on plan. Another virtue of JUDDD it seems to me.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Snaggle: 1316403aalzoobp6w.gif
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Six months into this woe, so many things have changed. It's true, my body "expects" a DD after an up day. I don't know if this is physical or because my brain has adapted to the rhythm of this cycle. Maybe both.

I have some "junk" in my pantry, for DH...that's probably why DD at home is difficult. Over time I've been having about 150 calories in the am and 300 for dinner. That's been working for me. Sometimes dinner comes a little earlier than usual, cuz I think I'm starving...other times it's easier.

The best part is the learning experience. I know when I'm hungry and when I'm just bored. I know when I've had too much of a good thing. I feel it. I have a 'cutoff' valve that didn't really exist before. I stop. That's amazing to me!

Leo, I appreciate your advice. The day I accidentally stumbled onto your JUDDD thread was a turning point in my life. Thanks!
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #38
Senior LCF member

Blonde-
You're absolutely right that the 'best part is the learning experience.'

I was amazed at how just 'doing' JUDDD provided me with so many insights into my 'food issues,' especially when I'd been low carbing for a couple of years (and losing) and didn't have any significant learning experiences at all.

I think it began for me when I did my first DD and was amazed that I didn't die from eating only 500 cal

Because of this, if I 'screw up,' I find that I don't beat myself up over it but try to reflect and analyze the situation to avoid repetition.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Blonde-
You're absolutely right that the 'best part is the learning experience.'

Because of this, if I 'screw up,' I find that I don't beat myself up over it but try to reflect and analyze the situation to avoid repetition.
Exactly!!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Six months into this woe, so many things have changed. It's true, my body "expects" a DD after an up day. I don't know if this is physical or because my brain has adapted to the rhythm of this cycle. Maybe both.

I have some "junk" in my pantry, for DH...that's probably why DD at home is difficult. Over time I've been having about 150 calories in the am and 300 for dinner. That's been working for me. Sometimes dinner comes a little earlier than usual, cuz I think I'm starving...other times it's easier.

The best part is the learning experience. I know when I'm hungry and when I'm just bored. I know when I've had too much of a good thing. I feel it. I have a 'cutoff' valve that didn't really exist before. I stop. That's amazing to me!

Leo, I appreciate your advice. The day I accidentally stumbled onto your JUDDD thread was a turning point in my life. Thanks!
This is really a great accomplishment Blondie. Some people never come to this realization!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
This is really a great accomplishment Blondie. Some people never come to this realization!

I think so too! I was reading a critique of the JUDDD plan on another site and they were saying that it leads to anorexia and binge eating. This may be true statement for some, I don't know, but not for me. For me it's been a huge wake-up, and has put me in touch with my body like nothing else ever has. If I happen to have an "over-the-top" up day, I don't drop out and over-eat for days, if anything it gives me more resolve to stick to my DD's, religiously. It's a wonderful, adaptable tool that I know I can live with and eventually use for maintenance. Here's looking forward to maintenance.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Blondie: I am the same way. If I have a free day or two, I can't wait to get back to a DD. BTW I am from Monterey, CA. - transplanted in Minn. 47 years ago!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #43
Senior LCF member

Blonde- That's interesting to me what you read about JUDDD and binge eating and anorexia--but they have it wrong. It plan doesn't cause the problems; it emphasizes them.

What I've seen here is that people who have a history of binge eating or anorexia become attracted to JUDDD (as they seem to be attracted to any 'extreme' weight-loss plan), and in time, they find that their problem surfaces again.

We've had several people who were doing well on JUDDD but suddenly reported that they were having binges again after having controlled for a while. Others would do JUDDD at ridiculously low calorie levels (e.g., 750 cal on UDs!) and would then 'hint' at a history of ED--which I assumed was anorexia.

This is probably the same with any diet plan because I've read that any form of restriction tends to be very bad for those with ED histories. Restriction tends to eventually bring on the ED even if the person has been controlled for a while.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo it was 3 Fat Chicks on a diet, and that was their conclusion. I disagree but I can see how it would affect those that had issues to begin with.

Up day today, hip hip hurray!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #45
Senior LCF member

Yes, it's interesting how 3FatChicks seem to confuse cause and effect. I found some board way, way back where people were "doing JUDDD"--and there was a woman posting about how many DDs she could string together--and she was doing 350 cal DDs, often 5-7 consecutive ones.

Clearly she was anorexic, and it bothered me that no one commented that this isn't JUDDD at all (I couldn't comment because I didn't join the board--and didn't want to when I read some of the posts.)

But JUDDD didn't make her anorexic; she surely had a history and was 'using' JUDDD as an excuse for her ED.

UD for me today as well, but I'm strangely not wanting to each much(because I can always eat--hungry or not:-). I'm having a lot of 'gas' for some reason and don't feel very well, so I may only have a MD unless this resolves soon.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry you're not feeling well!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I agree Leo. JUDDD is not a good plan for those prone to binges or anorexia. I have always maintained that one of the reasons I like it and benefit from it is that it forces me to gain more control, which I know is one of the major underlying issues with eating disorders.
Hubby is now fully on board with Juddd, which sure helps.
DD today.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

315878kf54mbtzyx.gif Hi Everyone!

Leo: Hope you feel better soon!

Snaggle: How nice to have DH joining you for JUDDD. How does he like the plan?

Blonde: So glad you decided to stay on and support our JUDDD group. After 6 months on JUDDD, I know you have valuable insight into this woe and I look forward to getting to know you. About 3FatChicks...Women fought hard in the 1960's to rise above being called "chick". At that time it was a derogatory reference reducing women to objects. I think if women knew the history of "the struggle" they wouldn't call themselves "chick" or "fat". When I hear people using these terms to describe themselves or others, I think right off the bat that they are uneducated and base. Sorry for the rant, but 3FatChicks' website "does things" to me.

Today is an UD. I had an indulgence that cost me my reserve of calories saved for my supper. Well, lesson learned I guess.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Redeemed,
My husband has done it before and had pretty good results, but never embraced it as much as I did. This time he seems to be motivated to really stick to a true rotation. He travels and sometimes has issues due to his work schedule, which has made it difficult too. (you can relate to that)
He would like to drop 25 lbs, just like me. So far, it is working well for him, which is the best motivation of all.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Snaggle I would think having him on the plan with you would make DDs so much easier because you don't have to make anything extra for him. I make my veggie soups for DD dinners and tell my DH and DS that the soup is for supper. If they want anything else they can make it. Fortunately, they both don't seem to mind, although they both snack after dinner. But, at least they fix for themselves.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #51
Senior LCF member

Redeemed- That's a great solution for DD dinners! I've always wondered how anyone who has to cook for a family can manage DDs because being around 'food' would be so very difficult, and when I cook, I always want to 'taste.'
Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Redeemed - I forgot to thank you for posting your daikon radish soup instructions. It sounds so easy - I am going to make some for tomorrow's DD. Thanks!

I too have noticed my DDs have become easier. I know myself well enough to realize I often hit a euphoric stage in a diet where it seems to me that I'll *never* veer off the plan and *never* 'cheat' again, only to do so and then I beat myself up over it and most times abandon the plan altogether...but somehow, this feels different. The diet is so forgiving of a slip. And, my body does seem to like the DDs, almost as though they are kind of healing. Hard to explain, but an interesting feeling.

My DH sort of follows the plan with me to the extent that he loves everything I eat and always hogs it up, so I have to make about three or four times as much as I will need so he can eat it too. When I make the soup I'll have a bowl - he'll have three. He's always been slim and fit, never a pound overweight, sigh.

Last edited by penguinpower; 06-09-2011 at 04:04 PM..
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

PP: I totally can relate to what you said about the euphoric phase of dieting. I am in the zone right now and just wish I could hang on to it for the long haul.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

428270sh42acnblr.gif Good Morning Everyone!

Leo Hope you are feeling better.

pp: Hope your soup turns out well! Another calorie/nutritional bargain is celeriac root if you like the flavor of cream of celery soup. I don't think I entered into a euphoric state this time around with JUDDD. In fact, I am trying to keep the emotion out of it altogether. I have always been very emotional about the food I eat. But now I see the need to be more analytical about my food choices. I feel like when it comes to losing weight, I just want to get the job done and get it over with. My DH eats whatever I make for supper too, so that makes this woe so much easier.

Snaggle Have a great day JUDDDing!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #55
Senior LCF member

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I'm feeling fine this morning. For some odd reason, I had a lot of 'gas' and indigestion most of yesterday, but I didn't eat anything I don't normally have, so I'm not sure what was going on.

I managed an omelet and tea in the evening, so it was a 'normal' UD for me, and I think today's DD will be good for continued healing from whatever it was.

I don't think anyone on these boards who doesn't do JUDDD would realize how good these DDs can be at times. When I was morbidly obese, I couldn't imagine that my body would actually welcome LESS food
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

G'Morning everyone!

Redeemed thanks for the welcome. Leo has done so much for me here I wouldn't dream of deserting (although I often dream of desserting) I've always drifted back and forth between the recipes JUDDD and this one, so no biggy, right?

Penguin good to see you here as well! You make me laugh when you talk about your DH eating all of you "diet" food! Certainly better than making you fix something separate, huh? My DH eats some form of main dish salad with me on DD's, he just gets more "stuff" in his. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have children at home and have to make three meals a day.

Snaggle, lucky girl! Having your DH follow along has to be great! Regarding the dieting 'zone", I've been in the zone for so long now, it feels normal. I'm a slow loser but it doesn't matter. I know as long as I keep having my alternate DD's I'll get there. Eventually. I look forward to my down days now. In the beginning I have to say I hated them. Truly felt weepy before bed on the night of an UD, knowing what was coming. I don't know when all of that changed, but it did.

Leo, I'm glad you're back to normal! I also feel my body welcomes less food on my DD. Strangely rewarding.

I'm picking up Zumba today as a gift to me. I'm ready to rev up the metabolism and work on myself image a little. I have a physical job, but it's part time and I really need to move more.

Up or down, I hope everyone has a successful day!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning ladies! I hope you feel better Leo. I rarely have gas issues when I am eating lower carb and juddd style, nor does hubby.................which is a good thing!
Redeemed--have a great day.
Blonde- I hope you don't mind, I have been reading your journal (I guess that would be considered lurking) Anyway, I love it because it totally captures the ups and downs of juddding (such a bad pun, but I couldn't help it)
I am so enjoying my down days too, at least the ones during the work week.
Tonight my goofy book club is meeting to discuss a wonderful book, "Cutting for Stone", and as our usual, we will keep to the theme of the book and have Ethiopian food. Should be interesting. I have a hunch it won't be very low carb, but it is an up day, so I am not going to sweat it.
Tomorrow will be tougher because I have a 50th bday party for a friend and it will be a down day. I may do what I used to do on such occasions which is fast five and saving all my calories for a 5hr window. They will probably go over 500, however.

Penguin : good to have you here, have a good day.
Thanks for the support everyone.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Snaggle, I don't mind at all and if it helps you, even better. It's been a very good thing for me to do. It keeps me honest (mostly) and backtracking to see where I went wrong or right helps me too. I love JUDDD. Have fun with your book club! What is Ethiopian food? I have no clue.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
G'Morning everyone!

Redeemed thanks for the welcome. Leo has done so much for me here I wouldn't dream of deserting (although I often dream of desserting) I've always drifted back and forth between the recipes JUDDD and this one, so no biggy, right?Penguin good to see you here as well! You make me laugh when you talk about your DH eating all of you "diet" food! Certainly better than making you fix something separate, huh? My DH eats some form of main dish salad with me on DD's, he just gets more "stuff" in his. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have children at home and have to make three meals a day.

Snaggle, lucky girl! Having your DH follow along has to be great! Regarding the dieting 'zone", I've been in the zone for so long now, it feels normal. I'm a slow loser but it doesn't matter. I know as long as I keep having my alternate DD's I'll get there. Eventually. I look forward to my down days now. In the beginning I have to say I hated them. Truly felt weepy before bed on the night of an UD, knowing what was coming. I don't know when all of that changed, but it did.

Leo, I'm glad you're back to normal! I also feel my body welcomes less food on my DD. Strangely rewarding.

I'm picking up Zumba today as a gift to me. I'm ready to rev up the metabolism and work on myself image a little. I have a physical job, but it's part time and I really need to move more.

Up or down, I hope everyone has a successful day!

3044655r9vbtz8zhd.gif
Old 06-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #60
Senior LCF member

Snaggle- If you can't do a DD because of that party, why not try for a MD? I've done that when I had too many social things and couldn't make it an UD, and I've found it fairly easy to do a MD--even with restaurant meals, if I eat only once as you're planning.

Today was a 'luxurious' DD because I bought some frozen, cooked shrimp and made that the basis of today's food (along with some egg whites). I love shrimp, and in this hot weather, plain cold shrimp tastes really good. I think I got my full protein requirement in today, when I normally can't do that except for an UD.