Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #181
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Snaggle- It's been so long since I 'stopped' that I have difficulty remembering whether or not I skipped some months at the time. I think that my situation was similar to yours, although I think I was about 54 at the time.

What's amusing to me is that almost every doctor will ask, "When was your last period?"--and I have no idea! After a while, I noticed that it seemed to be gone for good, and I was so happy that I never thought to figure out when the last one was. So you might want to keep track for the future when they're asking you:-)

Redeemed- I didn't realize that the 'skipping' times were actually menopause. I thought that menopause started when periods ended, and 'post-menopause' was when all the hormonal 'symptoms' were gone. But your explanation makes more sense.

Note: Those of you who are too young for this post, lose your weight NOW because it's much, much tougher in menopause
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Thanks for the feedback. I will start weighing once a week, as seeing a gain will freak me out and cause major stress .

I weigh weekly (Friday) for a game that I play on YT, so I'll be sure to make Thursdays a DD.

Thank you all,
Meek
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
593568p887g2dyd0.gif Good Morning Everyone!

Meek I thought of something last night that I think is kind of cute. If you read Dr. J's book, he talks about the "skinny gene" called Sirt1. His theory is that after a two week induction period of rotations (with whatever your UD number is and 500 calorie DD's) that the Sirt1 gene is activated in a person's body. This gene is supposed to accelerate weight loss and have a host of other longevity benefits. So maybe this skinny gene is a fit for SkinnyGene'sFit

Well, I peeked at the scale this morning. I am down 4 pounds in 4 days. I usually have good results the first 10 days of changing a woe, and then weight loss will taper off. But, needless to say, I am very pleased because I have added more calories to my DD's than previously. Yesterday's DD was 625 calories so today will be 1775, making my average 1200. My official weigh day is Friday, so I won't be peeking at the scale until then.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-30-2011 at 04:24 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #184

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I had such a good time with all my old classmates at this 50th HS reunion. Many of us had started kindergarten together in 1948 and grew up together, small town kids in Iowa after the close of World War II, lucky that all our dads had come home from fighting in Europe or the Pacific, and most of us with a new baby brother or sister. I always wondered if there wasn't a driving emotional need in our parents beyond just wanting to complete their families after the interruption and separation the war created, like there was a terrible need to see new life after the years of so much death during the war. Because most of us had a new sibling in our family.

So lots of good visiting and reminiscing, LOTS of good food and eating, and not enough sleep. But miracle of miracles, I've remained constant with my weight. The same this morning as last Friday, despite my suspension of JUDDD for the duration. Yay!

I've been doing a little consideration that I might want to lose a bit more weight during the month of June, so am going to try to lose another seven pounds during this month. That would be quite a good rate of loss for me, so will have to see if this old body will go along with the plan.

But that will start tomorrow morning. For this Memorial Holiday, it will be standard Midwest fare. I just won't overeat. I pretty much eat anything these days but in real moderate portion sizes and little that is very high high carb, and it sure seems to work like a charm to keep my weight steady.

Wishing you all a lovely Memorial Day Holiday. And a good calorie controlled day today!

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-30-2011 at 08:03 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #185
Senior LCF member

Redeemed- If my body worked like yours, I'd switch plans on a regular basis to take advantage of the accelerated loss, but my old body just loses as slowly as possible no matter what. I know that the bigger losses at the beginning are motivating, and that's great for you. Just keep your eye on onderland--and it will be yours soon.

SoHappy- Good job on maintaining at the reunion. I wish I could eat carbs as you can, but way back when I first did Atkins, I discovered that my poor body has a very, very low tolerance for carbs. At that time, my CCL was about 25g a day, and it's still about that limit. However, I don't really mind because I know it's healthiest for me to eat this way, since it seems to be how my body works.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #186

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Attachment 38412 Good Morning Everyone!

Meek I thought of something last night that I think is kind of cute. If you read Dr. J's book, he talks about the "skinny gene" called Sirt1. His theory is that after a two week induction period of rotations (with whatever your UD number is and 500 calorie DD's) that the Sirt1 gene is activated in a person's body. This gene is supposed to accelerate weight loss and have a host of other longevity benefits. So maybe this skinny gene is a fit for SkinnyGene'sFit
-Thanks. That is cute. Maybe this plan was designed just for me, lol. Just Kidding But, I sure hope it works out! I want to put dieting to rest and live a long healthy life!!
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

SoHappy- Good job on maintaining at the reunion. I wish I could eat carbs as you can, but way back when I first did Atkins, I discovered that my poor body has a very, very low tolerance for carbs. At that time, my CCL was about 25g a day, and it's still about that limit. However, I don't really mind because I know it's healthiest for me to eat this way, since it seems to be how my body works.
You know, I don't take the fact that I can eat at a higher carb level than some folks lightly either, Leo! I feel pretty lucky about that fact. But I also try not to abuse it either. I absolutely know that I will regain if I venture very far beyond my own personal carb/cal levels very often. So if I think I will face a dessert at a dinner party, I just eat a pretty small salad with chicken for lunch and then enjoy only half the dessert at the party. That works pretty well for me. Not often, but on occasion.

In fact, that is one of the things I really, really love about JUDDD. This freedom to be able to arrange your days into a cycling schedule that works out the best for you each week, depending on what your social (or business) plans for the week might be, might require.

JUDDD keeps me cognizant of my food choices and my food totals without obsessing, and allows me to kind of relax about it all from there. Very freeing!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #188
Senior LCF member

SoHappy- I feel the same way about JUDDD. Although my CCL is low, I've found that if I have an occasional (very occasional) dessert or other indulgence, it doesn't create the problems that I had when I was just low carbing generically.

In those days, going over my carb level would immediately result in a gain of 3-4 lbs. Granted, it was water, but it seemed to stay with me forever. With JUDDD, a DD seems to take care of it because I was able to lose consistently with an occasional indulgence every 4-6 weeks.

I forgot to tell you that I'm jealous of your plan to lose 7 lbs in June because I, too, would like to lose about 7 more lbs--but that will take me a minimum of 2 months. Actually, I don't mind the very slow loss because anything is better than gaining
Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #189

Quote:
I forgot to tell you that I'm jealous of your plan to lose 7 lbs in June because I, too, would like to lose about 7 more lbs--but that will take me a minimum of 2 months. Actually, I don't mind the very slow loss because anything is better than gaining
Well, that goal of 7 pounds lost in June is pretty ambitious for me too! But maybe it will help to keep me focused. Like if I failed to lose 7, maybe I could actually lose 3... and I'd be thrilled!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi Ladies- glad to see everyone around this place. Great losses Redeemed, and SOhappy, that is impressive to maintain after your fun weekend.
I managed to eat/drink a lot at a barbeque last night, but was still able to keep my up day estimated total around 1700 calories since I only had eaten some eggs for breakfast. I did eat some carbs, but very controlled. Luckily, there were several low carb items to choose from and I didn't feel deprived. My plan is to limit carbs to really low on dd's, and pretty low on up days. I did well with this plan last time. So far, I am not having too hard of a time with the downs. I sure hope redeemed is right about the weight loss picking up speed after two weeks of down days. I could use some speed dumping this fat.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hey JUDDDers!

SoHappy came and found me. Glad to hear your reunion went so well. I wish you the best for your June goal! I want to lose 10.

Going through some tough times at home and with my thyroid and eating, so didn't feel I had much to share.

Also, I had a serious gastric reaction to the glucommanan powder I was putting in my protein shakes to fill me up. It was so bad, my hubby had to be convinced not to take me to the ER. It lasted for 3 days and the pain was almost as bad as childbirth. Seriously. Thank G-d it's over now, but I learned my lesson. NO gluc powder for me, although the already-made shirataki noodles are fine in moderation.

So, I'm still here, or back or whatever and I'm 5 pounds over my lowest. I'm working on a 600 cal DD today because my hunger is still so insatiable
I'll try to get back to 500 cal DDs in a few days if my appetite allows.

Glad to read everyone's posts, nice to see some new names and some of the wonderful regulars!

Have a HAPPY JUDDD!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #192

I'm spending the day attending to little easy odds and ends and popping in at the LCF boards in between my small accomplishments, so was tickled to see that you posted here, RFL! Now stay with us, Little Girl!

Sorry the gluc doesn't do good things for you. I have ended up using it mostly to add a bit of thickening to my almond milk-based shakes, but I only use 1/2 teaspoon to a pint of milk even then. A little of that stuff really goes a lo-o-ong way.

I know those regained 5 pounds will be lost shortly. Not a big deal. I have confidence in you to do it, and you are my inspiration, so I'm hoping your encouragement and example will help me lose some pounds during June! So.... does that make it your fault if I don't lose?

Well, off to do the bills. Getting ready for a new month in a couple of days. How the weeks fly by.

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-30-2011 at 01:07 PM..
Old 05-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have confidence in you to do it, and you are my inspiration, so I'm hoping your encouragement and example will help me lose some pounds during June! So.... does that make it your fault if I don't lose?
HAHAHH! Oh my goodness, no pressure, right? You'd better lose or I'm in trouble!

What's that bumper sticker we used to see everywhere....

"Don't follow me...I'm LOST!"

How about this, how about we inspire each other?

Thanks for posting and for caring! I appreciate you!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy Way to go on maintaining at the reunion! My DH had his 50th reunion last year. Such a milestone! There must have been a lot of tempting food there.

RFL Hope you have a successful DD. I have thyroid issues, myself, so I know what a challenge that can be. I have a hard time digesting gluc also. It feels like I have knots in my stomach when I use it. It goes through my system too slowly and really goofs up my digestion.

Snaggle I hope I'm right too regarding the acceleration of weightloss! We have had such a high drop off rate on this thread so it's hard to tell. The only constant on this thread is Leo but her metabolism is ultra slow, so we may never know. Glad you had a successful UD managing your calories. My thyroid likes higher carbs - not junk food, but fruit and sprouted whole wheat bread . I can feel my thyroid getting sluggish - difficulty swollowing, fatigue, slow weight loss, etc. if I go too low on carbs. I know LC worked for you and hope you have great success with JUDDD this time around!

It was just my DH and DS and I today. We had a nice barbeque.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-30-2011 at 04:31 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #195
Senior LCF member

I managed my DD yesterday at 400 cal with no hunger at all. It's amazing to me that some DDs are 'easy' and others have me wanting to gnaw on the kitchen table. And there doesn't seem to be able to predict which type it will be.

What helps me during the 'bad' ones is the reminder, "I've done this before, and I can do it again today." It's always worked
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #196

Good DD, Leo. I'm doing my DD today, and will hold to 600 calories.

Yesterday, Memorial Day 2011, I gave myself the challenge to lose another 7 pounds by the end of June. So I held yesterday to a bit more modest portions than I might have if that weight loss idea hadn't been front and center in my mind, and (coincidentally) I am actually down a bit this morning. Hope a gram of that was fat loss.

Went to bed at midnight and slept in this morning. Only now having my first cup of tea.. Twinings Irish Breakfast Tea. Awfully warming and good, as this morning is chilly, gray and windy after yesterday being hot and humid. Upset and ever-changing La Nina spring here for sure.

Hope you all have a good JUDDD day. This is the last day of May. Let's make it a good one.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear y'all are doing well! KUTGW!!!

Today is a new day and I'm shooting for a MD.

My DD was fine until 10PM when it crashed in flames.
I'm thinking that DDs may be too physically difficult for me right now, but I'm still in the game.

If I understand it correctly, even if my "DDs" are higher than 500 cals, but I alternate UDs and DDs, I will get some benefit. Perhaps the skinny gene won't turn on as bright, but if I'm losing weight and keeping it in line, that will be good. Right now, I'm just trying to get back on a consistent ON PLAN eating and stop the binge eating. It may not be possible, but I'm not quite ready to give up yet because JUDDD has worked so well for me since January. It's only in the last 6 weeks or so that I have hit the brick wall.

Anyway, today is a MD, shooting for 1,000 cals and 30-40 carbs. and if that works, I'll do an UP day and then try another MD instead of DD. Well see how it goes, especially from 10 PM on which is where I have my most challenges.

Today is hard-boiled eggs
Protein shake
Roasted chicken breast
Roasted broccoli
Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is a basically a good article (although I don't buy into the "caveman theology). The practical advice is very good and I found a few things to try to bounce back from a binge.

Bounce Back From An Eating Binge | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #199

Hi, RFL. I think that you've got a good idea. I just have a feeling that for awhile now, you should just alternate between your UDs and MDs and just skip the DDs altogether until later. That does sound like a good plan that you've devised for this period. Kinda' get yourself all emotionally balanced and calm again.

I am another person who has my internal clock out of sync with the modern world's artificial time clock.

I am rarely hungry after I wake, and most often little or no hunger at *breakfast* time. My internal clock doesn't begin to signal any appetite/hunger pangs until the very end of the morning, usually.

But in exchange for that late awakening of my hunger in the mornings, I have hunger signals later into the evening. It's as though my internal clock is skewed about 4 to 5 hours off from the clock that's been manufactured in some factory and is hanging on my kitchen wall.

But when you really think about it, our *mealtimes* are all a manmade concept anyway, so who's to say that it isn't better to listen to your own body rather than follow the industrial world's urging to eat your food according to the dictates of the factory whistle.

Anyway, I'm not one who believes that you have to cease eating at some certain hour of the day or evening necessarily. If that works for you, fine. But for me, saving some of my day's calories for my last hungry period in the evening/late evening works great. I sleep like a baby, and I've never, never noticed that it slows down weight loss or results in weight gain over all the years I've done this. Any times I've sworn off eating in the evenings and just toughed it out, in the hope that it would make me lose weight faster, it didn't make any difference I could chart whatsoever. So the *timing* of my caloric intake doesn't seem to make one iota of difference for me. It's the amount of food/number of carbs & cals that do make the difference for me.

Hope you have a great and productive JUDDD day!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
Redeemed - I'd love to see your Daikon Radish Soup recipe.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Me too! I looked on the recipe thread and couldn't find it.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

428270sh42acnblr.gif Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day!

DD here. So far so good, The extra calories I am allowing myself this time around on DD's makes a big difference.

RFL Thanks for the link to the article. I will read it tonight at work on my laptop. You may be right about 500 not being the number that turns on the skinny gene, but somehow I had that number in my head. I should really re-read the book.

Penguine Power and Snaggle I posted my recipe on the menu thread. Tonight will be cream of celeriac root soup. Another healthy low calorie, low carb vegetable. Two cups at dinner will keep me satisfied all night. Thanks for asking!

Leo Hope your MD is going well. Thank you for all of your support and warm welcome to me for starting back up with JUDDD!

I just saw my June schedule for work....12 nights in a row! This will not happen! I have a call into the nursing agency regarding this. You wonder sometimes what gets into the people who throw together these schedules.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-31-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

Yes, I think I'm going to really give this modification a shot. I've been reading about alternating intake elsewhere than JUDDD and it seems more and more researchers are saying it is a GOOD thing for weight loss. It doesn't have to line up with the JUDDD limits to be successful for some people.

So, until I can get back to what I KNOW WORKS, which is JUDDD, I'll try this.

I don't have a problem eating by a clock, that's not my situation. I have a problem with extreme appetite, ALL day and by 10 PM or so, I am so exhausted from fighting hunger that my resolve disappears and my binge mentality kicks in and I say "what the heck, I cannot stand this incessant hunger anymore" and I eat and don't stop.

I do usually save calories for a night-time snack, but that's out the window when the BINGE-monster shows up. Nothing satisfies.

HOWEVER, I think that trying to go too low right now sets me up for failure.

So, if I know I can eat a wider amount of calories, even at night and if I'm hungry, I can eat if I need to. Takes some of the pressure off. I refuse to go back to a medication that I felt was unhealthy for me (and I stopped it, which started this whole thing going BTW). I'm going to have to find a way around the binge-tendency without medication.

Anyway, just rambling a bit, trying to work this all out. Thank you for listening and thank you for being so supportive!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #204
Senior LCF member

Redeemed- You are correct about the 500 cal or less to activate the SIRT1 gene, according to Dr. J. He says that it takes 2 weeks of those 500-calorie DDs in order for that to happen. However, after that initial period, he really doesn't give any calorie limit for DDs. It's possible that a large man might have a DD number higher than 500. When I began JUDDD at 250 lbs, my DD number was 460.

Moreover, in maintenance, Dr. J advised raising the DD number to a more 'comfortable' level, and he gave his own number which was way over 500, as I recall. It may have been 1,000.

That said, I'm skeptical about the SIRT1 gene, and there are many theories that any form of calorie cycling is more helpful than eating the same number of calories every day. That's why I think people can customize their own 'cycles' if they need to.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Redeemed- You are correct about the 500 cal or less to activate the SIRT1 gene, according to Dr. J. He says that it takes 2 weeks of those 500-calorie DDs in order for that to happen. However, after that initial period, he really doesn't give any calorie limit for DDs. It's possible that a large man might have a DD number higher than 500. When I began JUDDD at 250 lbs, my DD number was 460.

Moreover, in maintenance, Dr. J advised raising the DD number to a more 'comfortable' level, and he gave his own number which was way over 500, as I recall. It may have been 1,000.

That said, I'm skeptical about the SIRT1 gene, and there are many theories that any form of calorie cycling is more helpful than eating the same number of calories every day. That's why I think people can customize their own 'cycles' if they need to.
Leo Thanks for the clarification. I am wondering if the reason you have had such success with JUDDD is because you have routinely cycled three numbers: DD/MD/UD. I would like to throw in a MD during the week. You do this following a DD right?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #206
Senior LCF member

Typically, I only do a MD on Sundays (or Saturdays if I have a social event on Sunday) to keep my alternation the same for each day. If I need to change a DD into an UD, I'll use a MD during the week to make the change, but that's fairly unusual.

You're right that I used the same 'numbers' throughout my weight loss, only lowering my DDs from 460 to 370 when I reached 190 because that was my calculator number.

One nice result I've discovered from doing JUDDD for so long is that whenever I need to restrict calories, it's very easy for me because I know what to eat from all those DDs, and I have confidence that I can eat little and survive--because I've done it so often. With regular weighing, that may be the 'secret' to maintenance with JUDDD.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Just thought I would draw your attention to the main recipe forum. There are 22 recipes for speghetti squash posted by fieldofroses1. Most of the recipes look like they would be a fantastic DD dinner. Hope this helps!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #208

penguinpower and snaggle... did you guys try Redeemed's soup recipe for the radish soup? I don't think that kind of a radish is sold at Aldi's, so I'll have to look for it at one of the larger groceries.

Had a good DD today and decided to increase the calorie ceiling to the vicinity of 600 instead of the 500 or fewer that I had done previously. Somehow, this seems much more sustainable. I don't know how that could be. 100 extra calories doesn't seem like enough to make much difference one way or the other, but today was pretty easy. It really does seem to help. Maybe just mental. Although I actually had 635 cals according to ******.

Hope you had a good day, RFL. Wanting you to succeed, but really wanting you to be happy with JUDDD and stay here with us. Selfish me.

Leo, I think you are pretty much right about the strength of JUDDD being the cycling of calories a lot more than any activation of a SIRT1 gene. But whatever the truth, it really does seem to work.

Where are the rest of you JUDDDers? Annie, have you posted in awhile? SkinnyGenesFit, how do you feel you're doing? Have you been doing this long enough to see how it is going to work for you?

Have a good evening, Everyone. I usually don't go to bed before 11:30 or 12:00, but am wondering if I won't be in bed before that this evening. Hard to stop yawning.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evening Y'all!!

Quote:
SoHappy: Had a good DD today and decided to increase the calorie ceiling to the vicinity of 600 instead of the 500 or fewer that I had done previously. Somehow, this seems much more sustainable. I don't know how that could be. 100 extra calories doesn't seem like enough to make much difference one way or the other, but today was pretty easy. It really does seem to help.
Whooo hooo SoHappy!! Sounds awesome! You are making it your own and making it work! Good for you!!

How did everyone else's day go??

Today was a very good LC day. It was an MD.
924 Calories
40.7 Carbs (20 net carbs)

I tried something I'd had for awhile, it is L-Glutamine. I had bought some and tried it in the past and it never seemed to help.

But today, I was desperate. My hunger is so strong, it makes this very difficult. SO, I tried the L-Glutamine and it seems to cut the edge off off my appetite to where it was more controllable. Maybe it was just my imagination, but whatever it is, it helped. And being able to eat when I was hungry helped too -- in my head. I didn't have to starve and then binge. Pure freedom.

I'm going for an UP day tomorrow and hoping to keep it below 1500 cals and 30-40 carbs. After that, I'll shoot for a 600 - 700 cal DD.

Just taking one day at a time and hoping and praying to get through each day clean and on plan.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #210
Senior LCF member

NOTE: I started a new thread for June. I hope you can all find it.