Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #151
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Redeemed- I'm sorry you still have to work nights, but I'm glad you're going to give JUDDD a try. It should work if you ignore the fact that your 'day' is different than ours.

About the only problem I see with any weight loss and shift work is that sleep is supposed to be so essential, and some people I know have difficulty adjusting to different sleep patterns. But if you sleep well, you should be OK.

If you don't find the 500 cal sufficient when you're working, rather than abandon JUDDD, I'd add calories to the DD (perhaps 700?) and subtract from the UD. You'll still be 'cycling' if not 'official' JUDDD, and any form of cycling is supposed to be more helpful than the same number of calories each day.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #152
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Without knowing what is being served at dinner tonight, it's a bit harder to get a feeling of whether my resolve will weaken or remain strong, but I'm going to plan on this being close to a standard UD in calories. And because I expect a good meal tonight - maybe with some dessert - and a couple of drinks, I'm just having coffee with half & half this morning and some soup with a lot of broth for lunch. LOL Sort of a 'semi-fast' until the opening Reunion dinner this evening.

Hope you're all having a good JUDDD day today! Wishing you continued great success in your weight losses or maintenance.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Redeemed-- I am so glad you are going to join us. I am confused because a day is normally midnight to midnight anyway. I would think that if you work nights your full day would be adjusted to be noon to noon? This assumes that your work schedule starts 12 hrs later than a "standard" day. You could adjust it depending on the shift. Not sure if this helps, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Happy to report that I am down 2 lbs since monday!! Two successful down days so far.
This weekend will be tough due to family visiting.
Good luck everybody.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Have a great time, SoHappy! It's so nice of you to hang out with those old folks lol.

I'm facing a similar situation tomorrow. Not really a reunion but a chance to see some folks I haven't seen for years, and it will involve Irish music and a pub. So...wish me luck! I'm doing a MD today since yesterday was a DD. That actually works out pretty well since it will put me on schedule to have an UD on Monday when I will be attending a cookout.

Edited to add: Oh, and my battle plan for tomorrow involves pretty much fasting all day except for a bowl of yummy shiratake/chinese veggie soup, and then before we leave for the pub I'm gonna eat a HUGE bowl of same. I don't like beer so I will order a light beer for my adult beverage and not allow myself anything else beverage wise until I finish it. One beer might last me all night.

Last edited by penguinpower; 05-27-2011 at 08:48 AM..
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #155
Senior LCF member

SoHappy- I think that's a good plan for the day. I often eat that way on an UD if I'm having a restaurant meal at night because they're really difficult to estimate in terms of calories. Tonight just focus on enjoying yourself!

Snaggle- Congratulations on the DDs and loss. I don't do DDs on the weekends, but I try to keep one of them to a MD. Oh, I forgot, this is a 3-day weekend, but fortunately, I have no plans for Monday--which is a good thing because that's a scheduled DD.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #156

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Hello and thanks for the welcome. I've starting JUDDD (with HCG) today; and it's my first DD. I am use to eating 500 cals, so this shouldn't be that hard. My plan is to do 500/1000 split. I hope this helps me get out of the 190s, as I have been here since last year.

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend .
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #157

Question: Do you all fine yourselves losing on a consistent basis on JUDDD or do you mostly maintain? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for sharing.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swella73
Stats: 230/199.6/165
WOE: Atkins - converting to HHCG!!
Start Date: January 18, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGenesFit View Post
Hello and thanks for the welcome. I've starting JUDDD (with HCG) today; and it's my first DD. I am use to eating 500 cals, so this shouldn't be that hard. My plan is to do 500/1000 split. I hope this helps me get out of the 190s, as I have been here since last year.

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend .
Hi there! I am getting ready to start JUDDD too. I too have grown accustomed to the 500 calorie a day plan on HCG so that part isn't going to be hard on DD. Just not sure about UD's.

Did you eat 500 calories yesterday and still start on a DD today or did you eat alot more calories on yesterday prior to starting??

I am thinking of starting DD tomorrow and seeing what happens. A little nervous but I am willing to give it a try!

Glad to meet another newbie like myself. Wishing us both lots of success!!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #159
Senior LCF member

SkinnyGenes-
I don't really understand why you're doing JUDDD and HCG--isn't HCG enough for you to lose?

And this is just my opinion, but 500/1000 cal is NOT JUDDD. That gives you a daily average of 750 cal, much too low for good health--unless you're under a doctor's care, who is insuring that you get the necessary nutrients.

The idea of JUDDD is alternate-day dieting, so your UD calorie level should be close to what maintenance eating would be for you, a more 'normal' level of calories.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
SkinnyGenes-
I don't really understand why you're doing JUDDD and HCG--isn't HCG enough for you to lose?

And this is just my opinion, but 500/1000 cal is NOT JUDDD. That gives you a daily average of 750 cal, much too low for good health--unless you're under a doctor's care, who is insuring that you get the necessary nutrients.

The idea of JUDDD is alternate-day dieting, so your UD calorie level should be close to what maintenance eating would be for you, a more 'normal' level of calories.
I can't keep my calories at 500 for 23/40 days on a strict round of HCG, which is why I like the idea of JUDDD. My plans are to do a round of cycling calories using the JUDDD principles. This will be only for a short time - not the rest of my life!

Okay, what you said makes sense, now that I think about it. I wanted to do the 500/1000 split to ensure that I would lose on both days. I was afraid that if I UP my cals to maintenance level on my UP day I would gain?! Do you think that would be the case?

I guess if I lose one day and maintain that lose on my UP day, I will lose the next day, etc... is this right? Does what I am saying makes sense?

I am just trying to find my way, as I am tired of being in the 190s!!!!

Last edited by Meek75; 05-27-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by swella73 View Post
Hi there! I am getting ready to start JUDDD too. I too have grown accustomed to the 500 calorie a day plan on HCG so that part isn't going to be hard on DD. Just not sure about UD's.

Did you eat 500 calories yesterday and still start on a DD today or did you eat alot more calories on yesterday prior to starting??

I am thinking of starting DD tomorrow and seeing what happens. A little nervous but I am willing to give it a try!

Glad to meet another newbie like myself. Wishing us both lots of success!!

Hello Connie,

No, my calories were around 1600+ at the end of the day, which is way I decided to start my first DD today. I'm doing strict protocol on my down days, and LC and my UP days. I am willing to give it a TRY to see if it works!

Glad to meet you too. I best wishes to both of us during our "experiment".

Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #162
Senior LCF member

Hi SkinnyGenes-
If you're a daily weigher, you should STOP while doing JUDDD because Dr. J warns (and we've all found out) that the water fluctuations on JUDDD are more than with most plans. He suggests weighing once a week, following a DD.

What JUDDD provides is a way to restrict calories without the burn out of doing it daily. Let me share my story, and explain how the plan works a little more.

I began losing with just low carb eating at about 1200-1400 cal a day. I am post-menopausal and hypothyroid, so loss is slow--only about a pound a week. But after I lost 80 lbs, I stalled for almost a year, going up and down the same 5 lbs. I knew I needed to cut calories more, but trying to do 1000-1200 daily was just too frustrating. Then I discovered JUDDD, and I was able to lose another 100 lbs (over 2 years) at the same level as before--about a pound a week. (I only need to eat so low calorie because of what my endo terms my "genetically slow metabolism.")

Most people who are younger and have better metabolisms than I do lose more--perhaps 2 lbs a week--on more calories. It's not a matter of just losing on the DD and maintaining on the UD. There's something about cycling the calories that really helps. Dr. J argues that keeping the DDs to 500 cal or less has the same effect on the body as a total fast for those 24 hrs.

His advice is to eat as 'normally' as possible on the UD--but not a binge of any kind. Some people here have had that problem; they tended to overeat on the UD. I haven't experienced that because I've found that the DD actually lessens hunger the next day, so I have no problem staying moderate.

You may have to experiment with what works best for you, but I'd really suggest you think about 500/1800 (no less than 1600) to begin.

If you have any other questions be sure to ask. I'm no 'expert,' but I've been doing this for over 2 years, and I've seen the experiences of a lot of other people who have been on this thread.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Leo That is good advice about upping my DD's to 700 and lowering UD's to 1700. In fact, I think I may start off with that and see if I lose. I used to say to myself the last time around with JUDDD, that if I could just add another 200 calories to my DD's, I think I could stay with the plan for the long term. If I don't show a loss within two weeks, I wil cut back on DD's.

Snaggle Congratulations on your quick weight loss. Two pounds must be encouraging. I don't know about the Noon to Noon schedule. I'll try it if this doesn't work.

SoHappy Enjoy your UD! How long have you been doing JUDDD. How much weight have you lost with JUDDD?

SkinnyJeansFit There used to be a Rogue thread for HCG where the members were "breaking all the rules" and still losing weight. I am sure you would lose doing a rotation of 500/1000, but that would be more of a calorie rotation diet and not JUDDD as designed by Dr. Johnson. JUDDD works so well, that y ou could go higher on your calories, skip the HCG and most likely still do quite well when it comes to losing weight. The past couple of times I tried JUDDD, I lost 10 pounds the first week. That is a pretty good start. Then I lost about two pounds a week after that which isn't all that bad. Personally, out of concern, I would not be able to cheer someone on in their woe knowing they were only eating an average of 500/750 calories a day. But that is just "me". I am on your side! I know you are concerned about losing weight and getting healthy and I pray you find your pathway to success!

Well, I weighed myself today. Last year when I started seriously dealing with my weight I weighed 260. Today I weighed 228. I had gotten down to 214, so I am up 14 pounds since leaving JUDDD. It could be worse, but I am a long way from Onderland.

I contacted Buglet, the team leader for JUDDD at *********** to ask about Dr. Johnson's missing website. She did not know why his site is missing, but did give me this link of a man's review of the JUDDD diet after being on it for a year. It is from the Amazon website, and kind of fascinating to read:

eta: Opps, I had to delete the link because it went directly to Amazon.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-27-2011 at 01:46 PM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #164
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
You may not like gaining 14 lbs, but just think how great it is that you started seriously dealing with your weight. Had you not done so, you could be looking at 270 or 280 today!

The thing about weight management that we often forget is that it's not easy and, for me, requires constant vigilance. On one of the Century threads, a woman wrote that she went 'off plan' for two months, not a binge but just eating 'normally' and eating carbs. She gained 35 lbs in only two months. I know that I could gain that quickly if I'm not vigilant.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #165

Thank you, Leo and Redeemed for your honesty. I really appreciate and valuable both opinions. I have always done well losing weight on Atkins/LC, which is my preferred way of eating. It wasn't until 2009 that I start using HCG off and on, only to gain and lose the same weight over and over again. I am just trying to find my way.

Quote:
What JUDDD provides is a way to restrict calories without the burn out of doing it daily.
I really like this idea, as I have ALWAYS struggled when it came to eating lower calories on a consistent basis.

Quote:
1. His advice is to eat as 'normally' as possible on the UD--but not a binge of any kind. 2. but I'd really suggest you think about 500/1800 (no less than 1600) to begin.
Thank you. I will follow your advice .
Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Hi Everyone!

I'm back after a few months caregiving DH who has been undergoing radiation/chemo. He is doing well and goes back to work 6-13. I am going to begin by using 600/1600 as my ratio. That gives me 1171/day average with a teensy wiggle room. 1200/day is what I am gearing up for. If I watch the sodium a bit more I may be able to squeeze out a faster loss, and I should pick up my walking and Pilates a little as well. I did JUDD for a couple of weeks earlier in the year and it did work, but then DH fell ill and I've been cooking for him. No loss, and luckily only a small gain. As Leo will attest, we older "girls" have a slow time of it.

Stay tuned, and as always, feedback is encouraged! Have a good holiday weekend everyone.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #167
Senior LCF member

Hi Suze- Nice to see you back and glad your husband is better and will be back at work.

Yes, we 'seniors' have to settle for slower losses, but any loss is better than none--or [horrors] gaining.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you, Leo and Redeemed for your honesty. I really appreciate and valuable both opinions. I have always done well losing weight on Atkins/LC, which is my preferred way of eating. It wasn't until 2009 that I start using HCG off and on, only to gain and lose the same weight over and over again. I am just trying to find my way.

I really like this idea, as I have ALWAYS struggled when it came to eating lower calories on a consistent basis.

Thank you. I will follow your advice .
I hope that means you will be joining us, Meek!

Welcome back SuzyQ!

I had a successful DD yesterday. I managed to keep calories at 580. I really didn't feel like going up to 700, but will reserve the higher DD calorie number for another day if I need to. I think the heavy pureed vegetable (Daikon radish) soup I make is so filling, that it keeps me from feeling hungry. At only 6 calories an ounce, that Daikon radish is a fantastic nutritional bargain. It tasts like cream of potatoe soup to me; so this will be a DD staple of mine. I will put the recipe on the JUDDD recipe thread for anyone who is interested.

I remember reading in Dr. J's book that a person had to do 500 calorie DD/individually determined UD calorie rotation for a two week period to activate the Sirt1 gene. However, I am more concerned with making this woe as comfortable as possible rather than activating that nebulous Sirt1 gene. I am more concerned with just getting the weight off, and will go at a slower pace to avoid deprivation mentality and extreme hunger. Today's UD was 1800. So, so far, so good.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-28-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Suze, welcome back. You must have been around here after I dropped off the face of the earth. Glad to have you here and to hear that DH is doing well. I too, do best around 1100 cal-1150 average. I guess I may do better even lower, but do not want to run the risk of slowing my metabolism down.
SJF: good luck with your plan. Nothing more frustrating that having to re-lose the same 10 (or 30 in my case) lbs. I always see these HCG threads and wonder how successful the folks are long term at keeping it off. It is so enticing to see the rapid loss these hcg'ers have. I have a hard enough time doing 500 cal every other day, I cannot imagine doing it every day for a month.

Redeemed: way to go on the dd- I knew you could pull it off!
I am in the midst of mine today. So far today: 1 egg, 1 carrot. Looking forward to dinner.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #170

How is the daily average calculated? Also, I've searched for Dr. J's website, but I can't find it
Old 05-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How is the daily average calculated? Also, I've searched for Dr. J's website, but I can't find it
Unfortunately, Dr. J's website is down. He has a book that you can purchase at Amazon that may be of help. The book is called The Alternative Day Diet by Dr. James Johnson. The calculator was fascinating, but most people made up their own plan anyway. A 500/1800 rotation should work for a person of your size - you may even be able to loose at a higher rotation such as 700/2000. You just need to experiment. And, it all depends on how fast you want to lose. Some people do 400/1600, but I would never last on that. You just need to experiment as to what works best for you.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #172

Redeemed, thanks for responding. So how do you calculate the average of say, 500/1800, etc?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Redeemed, thanks for responding. So how do you calculate the average of say, 500/1800, etc?
500 + 1800 = 2300. 2300/2 = 1150

If you ate 500 calories one day and 1800 calories the next day, you would average 1150 calories a day. A healthy person should easily lose weight on 1150 calories a day. You could probably lose easy with an average of 1200 calories a day, so just add 50 calories to either your up day or down day if you want.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-28-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
500 + 1800 = 2300. 2300/2 = 1150

If you ate 500 calories one day and 1800 calories the next day, you would average 1150 calories a day. A healthy person should easily lose weight on 1150 calories a day. You could probably lose easy with an average of 1200 calories a day, so just add 50 calories to either your up day or down day if you want.
GREAT! Thank you SO much!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #175

Hi. Just checking in. I really like JUDDD thus far. It seems very easy to follow. I've completed my first round of DD/UPs and lost a total of 1 pound. Not bad at all .

I hope you all are having a good day. Happy Memorial Day.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

2 lbs down so far after 5 days. Plus, tom started.
Call me naive, but I thought menopause was about NOT having periods anymore. I want to get to that part already.

Up day.......
Have a great Sunday and Memorial Day everyone!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Snaggle Menopause is full of surprises! Wow.....menopausal and TOM, and you still lost 2 pounds after only 5 days!

Meek Congratulations on your first successful rotation and the lost pound. JUDD gives wide-range weight fluctuations. That is why Dr. J recommends weighing weekly after a DD. Some people flurctuate as much as 4 pounds during the week. So, if you are weighing daily, don't be discouraged if you see a higher number during the week. I am like you, I usually peek at the scale after a couple of days.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone!

DD here. I plan on having 600 calories today and 1800 tomorrow. I am not counting carbs today. I am eating quite healthy, so I am concentrating on just calories. If I get hungry I will add another 100 calories this evening and have 1700 calories tomorrow.

Last edited by Redeemed; 05-29-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Old 05-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #178
Senior LCF member

Meek- Just to second Redeemed's caution about JUDDD and weighing. I've always weighed only once a week, and the few times I gave in to temptation and checked the scales mid-week, I was demoralized by higher numbers. That 'gain' was resolved into a loss at my regular weekly weigh-in, but I prefer not to see those fluctuations. The 'pounds' are just water, so if you weigh more frequently keep that in mind if the scale should go up.

Snaggle- If you're getting your period, why do you think you're in menopause? And you're right, when it's gone, it's wonderful!

Redeemed- Good plan. It's nice reading your posts because I sense an enthusiasm for JUDDD. Perhaps it's good to change plans from time to time to keep the enthusiasm high. I'm dong a MD today and plan a DD for tomorrow--no holiday plans, so just my usual Monday DD should work out fine.

Hope everyone has a good holiday!

Last edited by Leo41; 05-29-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Meek- Just to second Redeemed's caution about JUDDD and weighing. I've always weighed only once a week, and the few times I gave in to temptation and checked the scales mid-week, I was demoralized by higher numbers. That 'gain' was resolved into a loss at my regular weekly weigh-in, but I prefer not to see those fluctuations. The 'pounds' are just water, so if you weigh more frequently keep that in mind if the scale should go up.

Snaggle- If you're getting your period, why do you think you're in menopause? And you're right, when it's gone, it's wonderful!

Redeemed- Good plan. It's nice reading your posts because I sense an enthusiasm for JUDDD. Perhaps it's good to change plans from time to time to keep the enthusiasm high. I'm dong a MD today and plan a DD for tomorrow--no holiday plans, so just my usual Monday DD should work out fine.

Hope everyone has a good holiday!
Leo There is menopausal and post-menopausal. Post menopause is when you have not had a period for one year. Then, it's most likely over for that department.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, I guess I assumed that I was in menopause because the periods are super irregular. I have gone a few months without one, then a long one, or a couple in a row, etc. I also have big swings in what I feel are "hormonal" issues like hot flashes/night sweats, puffiness/waterweight fluctuations and more than anything, weight gain. At nearly 51, I am a little older than my mom was when she was going through it. At this point in my life I am using menopause as the great catch-all for all my inadequacies. I figure I can milk this one for a few years. Once I stop having periods, I may have to stop my whining, but not likely...........