Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
JUDDD for April 2011

April 2011 JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day/Down Day Diet)

The following information has been copied from the JUDDD official website:

Getting Started
There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr Johnson's website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnson's site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management
The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow.

Diet Stress
Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood
We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day
On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day
It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight
How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

What People On The Diet Have To Say
“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.

“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.

“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.

“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.

For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Now that April is here, I'm looking at March, and I can claim both success and failure.

The success is that I've maintained my weight within the lower end of my range (below 155), but the failure is that I still haven't worked out a consistent plan with JUDDD for maintenance.

In weight-loss mode, I had my calorie levels 'set' for both DDs and UDs, and I need to establish a 'set' for maintenance. I've had too many excessive UDs that have forced me into very low DDs to compensate. This isn't how I want to maintain.

So my goal for April is to get into a maintenance 'groove' with JUDDD!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hi Leo,

Welcome to April!

I don't consider your learning "failure". In fact, I think it's essential as you learn your body's needs in maintenance. I think you are such an inspiration and follow your progress very closely. Thank you for sharing your time and experiences with us. I feel as if I am learning with you!

I really hope the IF works for you, that would be great!! Please let us know how it goes!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Yippee! April is here! This is the beginning of my fourth month on JUDDD. I've lost a total of 25lbs and counting!

Hi Leo! From last months thread, congrats on your success with a day of IF. I hope this helps you maintain a little easier. You are my hero!

RFL~ 55lbs!! You ROCK, Lady!

Today is an up day for me and boy did I earn it! Some DD's are harder than others but yesterday was a stinker! I maintained my resolve by being Pure-dee old STUBBORN. After being hungry all day, there was no way I was going to exceed calories and have to do it again today! It's funny (well not really) how I battle myself for control of me!
6/27~226.6
8/01~235
8/06~233
8/15~229.8
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy April again!

I hope y'all don't mind me re-posting this, I like it for motivation.

Good April 1st morning to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoooo hoooooooooooooooooo!! March is gone and April is a bright possibility ahead!

OK youse guys, you get to see all my monthly tallying! Of course, you can skip it if you want to, I do this to motivate myself!

Here goes....
Starting weight 218 Nov 2010
Started JUDDD Jan 16 2011
2 weeks in Jan lost 4.5 pounds
Lost in Feb 11.2
Lost in March 11.4
Current weight drumrolll pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!
163! New low, VWT (Virgin Weight Territory!!)

Total: 55 pounds

Today is an UP day.

I'm saving up my celebration for my new DECADE weight ahead, I hope I will see it in a couple of weeks, 150's, watch out here I come!!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Hi JUDDDies!

I'm marking my place for the month. I wanted to report in, too. I started JUDDD on March 8th with my first DD, so I haven't yet been at this a month. But after just over three weeks I am down 8 pounds. Yay!

So today is a DD for me and so far I'm at just over 200 calories. I'm totally on track to make this a great DD! I JUDDD!

Have a great day, friends!

Last edited by Mommie22boys; 04-01-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Blonde-
I can relate to your post! I've gotten through many a tough DD by just being too darn STUBBORN to eat more and ruin it! IMO, that's using my stubbornness in a good cause
Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Woo hoo RFL - You are just melting away right before our very eyes! I am in awe of your success.

DD for me today. So far I haven't been very hungry - had a Ouizoid Super Low Cal muffin around lunchtime, and am planning to make the lowcal shrimp scampi for dinner.

It's funny about the stubbornness - I can be very stubborn on DDs but somehow don't have th same determination on UDs. Last night I blew a perfectly good UD by once again loading up on too many calories at night. Argh!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaysol
Wow! you are all doing amazing! talk about motivation!

I have had 2 down days so far and today is my second up day. The funny thing is on the dd I am thinking about all I can eat the next day and then on my up days, I'm not that hungry! I am eating of course but not starving, eat down the house feelings, just controlled eating. I think maybe the down days keep the appetite under control later. If so, what a great thing...
kaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Kay- Most of us have had that same pleasant surprise--i.e., expecting to be 'starving' the morning after a DD, and finding that we're not particularly hungry. I think that eating less tends to suppress the appetite.

The problem people have with UDs is more psychological than physical. Many have reported wanting to binge or simply eat too much just because it's an UD. That's something to watch out for.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaisleyMae
Stats: 235/143/135 -- 5'6"
WOE: JUDDDD (LC & hcg along the way)
Start Date: January 2010
Hi JUDDD Ladies! This is my first post here and I am planning to join y'all! I would like to start by giving you a quick run down of what my weight loss journey has looked like. In 2009 I gained 90lb in 9 months before being diagnosed with PCOS and hypothyrodism (and a slew of severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies). On average, I have been very active and about 150 pounds since my teens (I am 25 now). I started here at LCF in January 2010 losing my first 40lb following a general LC approach (Atkins inspired), and the next 50lb using HCG with my own low calorie protocol. I am just now coming off of a VERY slow [loss] HCG round and am concerned that my body thinks it has lost enough, which would be a problem because I would like to lose another 10lb! Either way, I was planning to try JUDDD for maintenance (and used a looser calorie zig-zagging approach between my HCG rounds), so here I am!

I have read the book and am excited to get going! I feel like one down side to the prolonged calorie restriction with HCG is that I have become VERY focused on food. I think calorie cycling and JUDDD will help me maintain, but I also hope it will help to lessen that intense focus on food (and fear of gaining it all back) because of the structure it involves.

Sorry about my novel Anyhow, this is my first DD (and technically the end of my 72 hours from the HCG round). Today's total was just under 500 calories. I also had my first experience with Miracle Noodles and I really liked them! I have been scouring the threads here, including recipes, and have ordered some gluc powder to add to my kitchen. I love to cook and definitely plan to stay with a low carb approach indefinitely, but may experiment a more South Beach-y approach on UDs. I am not expecting huge losses at all given that I am coming off of 30 days of very low calories, but would like the transition smoothly without gaining.

And I think that's it for now...excited to get to know everyone!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Welcome, PaisleyMae. Glad you're joining us.

I love this way of eating and think it's especially wonderful to only 'diet' every other day. LOL It was easy for me to drop about 12 pounds this way while getting to enjoy the social outings my DH and I indulge in, restaurant foods, and fixing some of our favorite foods here. I'm a believer in the value of portion control, so Up Days are rarely a big problem for me either.

And this plan has been the nicest I've ever been on for maintenance.

I never quite understood the various steps of the HCG protocol, but I know you do some very low calorie periods, so this should be a breeze for you!

Glad you decided to join us.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #13

Good Morning, JUDDDers.

Another DD for me today, which I'm looking forward to. I have some leftovers of various things so will include all those little bits and dabs to make my meals.

I'm at the lower end of my range this morning. JUDDD is a beautiful thing! Love how this plan works!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Morning everyone! Today is a UD for me. TOM has also made an appearance, and I usually don't weigh at the beginning of TOM. But since yesterday was a really good DD I decided I'd weigh anyway, because I only weigh after DDs now. Happy to report that my weight continues to go down, even in the face of TOM. So I'm going to enjoy my UD today.

@ So: Have a good DD. I really enjoy my DDs, too. I think it's because they are so easy. I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat all day because I plan all of my food out the night before. Plus, I like them because I get to weigh the next day and I have yet to be disappointed.

@Paisley and Kay: You'll find so much support here. There are many here who know a lot about JUDDD and can offer much good advice. Good luck!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
hello lovely JUDDDers

We are having the most beautiful day here ! sunny, warm, a perfect spring saturday !! I went out with friends and we spent time along the Canal St Martin, in the sun, it was lovely !

Anyway this is a UD or should I say UpWeekEnd as I might not be able to have a proper DD before monday
I had a tiny slice of white bread yesterday evening and my stomach is killing me since then :crazy: it reminds me why low carbing (and of course JUDDDing) is so much better for me !!!

Have a great weekend everyone...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pugmama
Hey Y'all,
Hope everyone is having a great weekend! The sun has returned after several days absence and it is gorgeous! I love this way of eating (not saying I have done 100% like I should---yesterday was an up,up, and away day as someone here called it!). I'm back in the saddle now.
O.K., the sugar alcohol syrup went in the trash last night. I had way increased appetite yesterday after eating it first thing in the morning. Talk about gastric distress!!!! I remembered maltitol (ms?) could do that and thought it would be worth it, but it wasn't! My appetite has returned to normal today. I guess I am just one of those who can't deal with that.
Everyone have some fun!!
Liz
Pugmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
Senior LCF member

Liz- When I began JUDDD, I noticed on DDs that artificial sweeteners increased by appetite as much as if I'd had the real thing! I think when I was eating more food, I didn't notice it as much. I've read that some people react to AS this way--i.e., it drives up insulin.

For the past year, I've avoided ALL sweeteners, and I think it's the best thing I ever did for myself.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #18

Hi.

I truly believe that whether we can eat certain foods without them making us feel some distress must be a YMMV sort of thing.

I have absolutely no problems or distress eating breads, pasta, etc. but get a bit queasy and 'green around the gills' if I eat too much greasy fat on any kind of meat. However, dairy fat doesn't seem to cause me any problems. I'm always amazed at the amount of fat many at LCF can eat, even adding it intentionally, without feeling a little sick to their stomachs, yet apparently it works well for them. When I eat bread on a DD (sometimes) it is a low calorie bread, split, and if I eat any on my UDs, I usually choose hearty and often whole grain breads.

I hold artificial sweeteners to a minimum, so can't really say, but I've never noticed I had any problem with them.. except that I don't think they taste good at all. LOL Usually if I'm making anything sweet I just use table sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, or maple syrup. But those sweeteners don't seem to cause me cravings either. I just try to limit the amount because I don't think they offer much nutrition, and those foods do add to my calorie totals. Very often it just isn't worth it. About the only thing I can think of that I eat occasionally on DDs that is artificial is the sugar free instant pudding mix and a very occasional flavored water/drink.

I think we eventually find the foods that make us feel in fabulous and energetic good health, and we tend to eat sparingly or avoid those foods that upset our tummies or our emotional balance and stability.

My DD is going well, our weather is beautiful, and my old gal pals mentioned that they could see that I'd lost a little weight, so all is right with my world! Hope you all are also doing well today.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Morning! I'm on a MD today. Shooting for around 1050 calories for the day. It's nice and sunny here so I may head out for a walk after lunch. I'll check back in later to see how everyone is doing. Make it a great day!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning Andrea!!

Sounds like a fun day!! How exciting that your weight was even at TOM! That's MAJOR JUDDD cool!!

Morning everyone!! I hope y'all are having an FANTABULOUS day!!

Today is an UP day for me because of my commitments this coming week and I'm having a meat and veggie day.

I'm sitting here just finished a warm cinnamon drink (how water, stevia and cinnamon). MMMMM So yummy and satisfying and good for my blood glucose levels (cinnamon helps with blood glucose).

Have a happy one y'all!!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaysol
Good morning everyone!

I was down another pound yesterday, after an up day even! I think I this might work for me! The dd are still hard for me but yesterday was easy - we spent 12 hours installing hardwood in our dining room and I barely had time to eat! (not to mention the calories I must have burned - that is some major hard work!). We have a family bday party so really up to my up day! I am tryin to figure out I should try to do low carb on my dd so I could sort carb cycle as well? that might be too much for me to think about right now though!

hope you all have a lovely Sunday!
kaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WELCOME PaisleyMae!! This is such a great group and I am so glad that you joined us. Jump right in!!!

Food distress, yes, it is really is an individual thing, the same was as how many carbs ones can handle. It is a process I believe to find what affects us and how and sometimes that changes! I know some foods / things I had in my diet in the past that now I have eliminated, I thought they did not bother me, but since they have been gone, I can tell that they did!

For example, grains and gluten. I'm not celiac, but I have discovered through elimination and challenge, that gluten causes me problems. However, they are subtle and I never noticed them or attributed the symptoms to gluten until I challenged my system with it. MY body does not do its best when eating gluten, dairy and some other foods, such as artificial sweeteners AND I need to stay low carb (relatively) and get my carbs from veggies.

I believe it's worth eliminating a food that we *suspect* may be causing us problems, no mater how slight. Because it may be slight while we have the foods, but once we purge the food and then try it again, the symptoms are much more clear. At least that's how it is for me.

And on the other hand, if we eliminate and challenge a food and we DO NOT see any reactions, we know that food is OK for us for the time. I personally believe that is the best way to determine what works for us.

I use stevia as my only sweetener, with nothing added.
I don't eat grains or dairy or sugars, artificial or real and I usually keep my intake relatively low carb. That (right now) keeps me feeling as good as I can with my particular health challenges.

AND, using these measures with JUDDD has been working phenomenally for me since January!

But, each person should find what works best for them, and the cool thing about this group is that we have many different ways to get there, we are not all the same, but we all can support one another in JUDDD! This rocks!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi KAY!!!!!!!

We were posting at the same time! YAY on the good report!!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
good evening fellow JUDDDers,

PaisleyMae ! you'll love it here !

another DD is over !
I hope I'm gonna get back on the downward slope quickly ^^ can't wait to see that "8" on the scale... I've been between 59 and 60 for 2 weeks, I need change

About the aspartam question I only use stevia, and I love it ! All artificial sweeteners sold in France are really high carb so stevia was the only alternative for me when I started low carbing. I really love it, but I actually don't use it so often, i'm trying to get rid of my sweet tooth ... and I think it works
BTW I actually read "the skinny *****" diet this weekend, which is pretty tough on sweeteners !! (and plenty other things...) Being a vegetarian myself i though it was smart, there are some things i'd like to try but God i could never give up cheese (come on ! i'm french !!)

Anyway, I'm gonna keep on JUDDDing, my own messy vegetarian way

have a good afternoon/evening/night everyone
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #25

Yesterday's DD turned into an unplanned MD. I think because I worked hard getting one of the houses ready and got so tired. And today's UD is starting to get a little excessive already, so time to rein myself in.

Hope you all are doing a bit better than I am today. I guess I'll just eat hard eggs and gluc pudding for the rest of the day. I could just not eat anything until bedtime, but that would be too sensible. Don't know why I'm so hungry all of a sudden. It overcast and gloomy. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

You've done SO well!!

I'm sorry today is not working well, but maybe something warm and filling will help like sauteed veggies?

Here's to a better rest of the day and a great tomorrow!!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Aw, So, you're going to make it through today alright. I'm feeling a bit like you are today...my MD is headed to Highsville. I don't know what I'm thinking today. So I feel your pain. We'll make it. Nothing but liquids for me for the rest of the evening.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #28

Good Morning.

After the last couple of days of a poor DD having to be made into a MD, and an UD that got way too far beyond the calorie 'cap' I try to stick with, I'm ready for a good DD today!

After returning from Colorado last week at the low end of my maintenance range, I am now near my upper 'cap'... So today is certainly a much needed day to make a strong correction in my diet.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I'm marking my spot here!

Friday I was writing this long journal type post and wham, it disappeared, and I was out of time before work.

So I'll quickly summarize;

I reached a mini-goal. Now I tend to lose and then waffle around until it's a true weight loss, but I'm avoiding the scales because I don't want to see those numbers I always see. But in general, I know my next mini-goal will be possible, if I walk the walk, and avoid the scales as much as possible, and only weigh 1X a week or less.

Scale games mess with my head!!!

But JUDDDing is working for me. After two months, I get remarks from people that I've lost a lot of weight. That works for me!!

I'm in this for the long haul. Have to be, because I don't lose quickly for many reasons--post menapausal, autoimmune thyroiditis, taking steroid like meds, and of course, too many VLC diets over the years, making it hard to tweak my metabolism. But JUDDDing does!! It's magic, almost!! Like someone pulled the plug and the water/fat us melting away!! i'm not expecting miracles, but I think they are happening!

Congrats to all you losers, and know we all deal with the same things here--life! Makes it hard to vacation, work around events, but we manage! All with help and support.

Well, that's the short version!!!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #30

Yay, magnamater! Congrats on the mini-goal being reached, and big congrats that you've lost weight to the point where people are noticing!!! I think that's always a fun place, because I don't think most people notice the little pounds lost. Those just don't make enough of a difference when they see us in our clothing for them to notice any difference. But when we've lost enough that they can really tell, that's a wonderful feeling.

And I agree with you that there is something about JUDDD that seems to make our bodies work better and revs our metabolisms up a notch or several. What a wonderful side benefit to actual weight loss.

The other thing I've noticed is that my appetite seems to be held in check nicely, for the most part. I've been (mostly) a reasonable eater all of my life, enjoyed a varied diet, no allergies or sensitivities or picky dislikes at all, but as the years passed, I think I just got in the habit of eating a bit more and a bit more, so combined with my advancing age and slowing metabolism and thyroid disease, etc. the pounds began to accumulate and not leave. Now I find that I am eating much as I did so many years ago.. that is, a more widely varied diet, but in more modest portions, and a lot of this is because I find my appetite is now satisfied with a smaller portion of most foods.

Have a great day, and congrats once again on your good work on weight loss.