Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #241
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaysol
Me too, just realized what time it was and filled up my water bottle. yikes, off to a bad start! I just finished my 12 ounce bottle - have a ways to go don't I.... 6 1/2 more glasses. sheesh. I better drink them soon or I will be up all night
kaysol is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcneilnomore
Stats: 309/305/150
WOE: moderate carbs and calories
Start Date: 3/10/14
Having a good UP day so far. Am not having any binge like feelings. Have eaten a little more than normal but nothing out of control. One new thing is today I am appreciating my food (even my eggs this morning)! Slowing down and savoring every single bite. I ate low carb sushi for lunch and I am in heaven. I am eating a little higher carb (had some fruit with lunch) but will adjust my fat accordingly. I'm not trying to eat a certain number of calories but I still would like to stay under the recommended 2300 from Johnson's website.

For tomorrow's dd, I will definitely incorporate more solid food. I was hungry to distraction yesterday. Couldn't be around food at all. I'm going to go take a look at the JUDDD menu thread.

What is a MD? A medium day? An in-between day?

Thanks so much for the advice and support you give. I feel really good today and I noticed even through my hunger yesterday that I had more energy in the evening. If that keeps up my husband will be very happy (because I can start doing the dinner dishes!). lol, have a great day gals and drink your water!

Last edited by mcneilnomore; 04-20-2011 at 01:50 PM..
mcneilnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #243
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jennifer- You don't have to eat to that UD calorie number. The only calorie number that's important is DDs. Most of us find the UD number is much too high, and Dr. J admits that it's just an approximation and doesn't work for most people.

A 'medium day' (MD) is a way to switch your rotation if you need to for a holiday or special event that you don't want to happen on your regular DD. Since consecutive DDs are not allowed, and most of us don't want to do consecutive UDs, we'll throw in a MD if necessary to make an UD work for us.

I do a MD as the average of my DD and UD in terms of calories.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hi Jennifer!

I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well right off the bat! It will feel more like "home" once you get a few DDs and UDs under your belt and know what to expect.

The numbers on the JUDDD site for UDs are waaaaayyyy off! If I ate what they said I should eat, I'd be packin' on the pounds!

When I started I decided to do the 500 cal DDs for awhile and for the UDs, make sure I didn't go over 1500 cals. This has worked for me. I also try to keep my carbs pretty low <20 on DDs and <30-40 on UDs.

Then I added MDs to keep my schedule going (like Leo said, MDs are just Medium Days and I split the different between UD and DDs. So, my UDs are 1500 and my DDs are 500, so my MDs are 1000 calories. Those are my caps. I usually eat less than those, but I try veru hard not to go *over* the caps.

I hope your energy increases as well!

I love JUDDDDDDDD!!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning. I just wanted to pop in and say thank you to all of you who have offerred me your advice and experiences. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Pretty Proud of my first "up" day. I think I did well. I'm not really sure what my calories were because I went out for lunch and it's impossible to get counts on independant restaurants. But I ate moderately and only until satisfied.

I was up two pounds this morning (I am a daily weigher) but I'm not going to stress about it. It's water weight. I get swollen feet and ankles from my desk job and it was particularly bad yesterday (I am pre-tom). Probably not the best time to start a new plan but oh well.

I am going to aim for 600 calories today. Just because it's new and it's easier for me to plan 3-200 calorie meals. And I'm sure I'll be drinking tons of water!!!

Good Day Everyone!!!

P.S RFL, you're puppy is so sweet!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #246
Senior LCF member

Jennifer- If you're a daily weigher, be prepared for big fluctuations with JUDDD. I find that if I ever weigh mid-week (I weigh weekly), I can be up 3-4 lbs that's all water and disappears by the time of my normal weigh in. The cycling with JUDDD seems to cause more water fluctuations than other plans, which is why I think Dr. J recommends weekly weighing after a DD. But many others here weigh daily as you do.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jennifer- If you're a daily weigher, be prepared for big fluctuations with JUDDD. I find that if I ever weigh mid-week (I weigh weekly), I can be up 3-4 lbs that's all water and disappears by the time of my normal weigh in. The cycling with JUDDD seems to cause more water fluctuations than other plans, which is why I think Dr. J recommends weekly weighing after a DD. But many others here weigh daily as you do.
Thanks! Daily weighing is my compulsion but I think it might be time to start using an average to track it.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: edens
Stats: 255?(22/24/3x)/217.0(18/20/2x)/147(or 10/12/M-L)
WOE: 1-1 thru 3-7 LC, 3-7 - current, JUDDD+LC
Start Date: 1-1-11
I'm a daily weigher, multiple times a day lol Since starting JUDDD I've had a few weeks where I will have gains then losses, so now I just go 'oh, ok, I kind of expected that after the up day'. I don't record new weights unless they're lower than previous weights. LOL
edens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jennifer!

I am a daily weigher myself. I like it. I see no reason not to weigh daily. I find it gives me information daily. I don't consider it a compulsion, but that's just me.

Anyway, Leo gave me a AWESOME idea when I started JUDDD that has been a life-saver to me concerning my weighing.

She told me to record my weigh-ins in a calender and that way I could see the BIG picture, rather than the small daily snapshot. Now, she weighs weekly and I weigh daily, but it works for me really well. In fact, I can see *at a glance* my daily, weekly and monthly totals (and I post them monthly).

And on those times where I have gained, this helps me to see the overall weight loss progress (which is ASTOUNDING!) and not get down over the small fluctuations.

I hope this helps!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WATER CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, how is your water intake today???

Mine thus far is at 84 (water plus tea plus other liquids).
Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #251
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
WATER CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, how is your water intake today???

Mine thus far is at 84 (water plus tea plus other liquids).

I've had some water to take my morning pills with and two cups of coffee.

(... wandering off to get a glass of water, mumbling to herself ...)
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

I am 64 so far. I put a mint tea bag in my cup/bottle and fill it up with cold water. It just barely flavors the water and is really light and refreshing (great in this AZ heat). One tea bag lasts me all day and they say that mint is an appetite suppresant.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #253
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaysol
umm, I am with so happy, 2 cups of coffee, 2 bottles
of water, I will go get another right now! Jennifer- the tea bag ideas sounds great - I will have to try that!

RFL and Jennifer - you are doing great with your water, thanks for the water check - I needed it!
kaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evening y'all!

Well, unfortunately, my MD turned into an UD.:blush: For some reason, I was starved, starved, starved and just could not deal. So I ate more carby foods and I feel MUCH better right now.

OK, so tomorrow will be a DD, L-rd willing and the creek don't rise!

How is everyone doing today on JUDDD?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

That's ok RFL, no worries. Today's an UD for me, too, been kinda hungry but too lazy to cook. Isn't that horrible? lol
Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Edens,

I hear ya! Some times the LAST thing I want to do is cook!! Enjoy your UP day!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #257
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I did a bit better on drinking fluids today than yesterday, although still not a full 64 ounces of the fluid stuff. But remember... I'm the one who eats lots of veggies and fruit, so I'll bet that's part of why I feel great without pushing the fluids. LOLOLOL I'm just thinking of the fluid content of the vegetable/fruit matter.

Had a nice low-ish UD today. Probably only a MD tomorrow.

Our weather is still cool and overcast, but no rain today and only misting yesterday. We need the April showers to bring our May flowers! I do love the spring, but dread the summer. Heat and I aren't the best of friends. I hate to think that some of you are already facing high temps and it is still mid-April.

But I do drink a lot of icy slushies in the hot weather, so get my fluids in easily then!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

I overdid my DD but Im not going to beat myself up. I'm so new at this that I'm going to call it my learning curve. I ate 800 calories today but it was good food, I even ate vegetables! And I hate vegetables. Tomorrow will be a great up day. Good night folks!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Good job on the Veggies, Jennifer!

I think I did ok on the water! And I went to the gym. But I ate a lot of calories. lol I ate dinner before going to the gym, and I felt so bleh. Don't think I'll do that again unless it's at least an hour and a half before, because I felt slow in zumba tonight, and kinda tired.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
edens. . .

congrats on the Zumba. . .I now have DVD's, and may give it a go later.

Today is day 1 of 4 day weekend.

So enjoyable--love holidays.

Trying to decide, since today is a DD, whether to do a DD on Easter. May instead do Saturday MD and Sunday UD, since I have a banquet (which I am cooking for) on Friday, but that doesn't work out. . .better do a DD on schedule, since then I can eat Friday as UD. . .is everyone lost? I know I'm confused!!

I also could just eat salad at the banquet. . .since I'll be so busy--no one would notice.

See everyone now and then on this long weekend.

Janie
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Since the kids are off today I got to sleep in and it was Awesome. lol Helps on my down day. Sunday needs to be an up day for me, we're going to Canyon Lake and gonna BBQ!!!! So, today's a DD. I will try to make tomorrow a very low MD. I'm so annoyed right now because last Sunday morning I was 220. Then we went to that hog roast and I ate a lot, and carbs, too. I don't care what the good Dr. Johnson says about UDs being able to "eat what you want" because I had high carbs, and I was up 3 and a half pounds on Monday. All week long I've been fluctuating between 222-223, today with a flat 223. Arg! So, I think a DD today followed by a low MD will be helpful. I'm hoping, anyway.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Day 5 on JUDDD and I feel fantastic! The DD's are hard, no lie, but not as hard as I thought they would be. At work, I'm starving but when I get home it seems much more manageable. My energy is through the roof this morning, I'm afraid my colleagues will think I'm on something because I am hardly able to sit still. And I've really noticed an improvement in my appetite. I actually want to eat vegetables. On my updays I have been craving quality things to eat. And I really savor what I eat. I enjoy food more instead of just shoveling it mindlessly into my mouth. Now, I hope the scale will start to move in a downward motion, guess I'll have to wait until TOM comes next week.

Edens, I'm sorry you're frustrated. Have a great weekend!

Janie, I envy you your four day weekend.

Sohappy, I am sure you're getting much more water than you think with all those fruits and veggies.

How is everyone doing with their water today? I'm on my second 24-oz bottle but plan on filling it lots and lots more times today.

Last edited by mcneilnomore; 04-22-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Argh edens, I know what you mean about the carbs. I really have to watch them too. Not only do I pile on the weight when I eat them, but they awaken all kinds of cravings that just make the DDs harder than they need to be.

Yesterday a.m. I was happy to see that all but one of my vacation pounds had gone back to the ethernet where they belong - but I had a very "salty" UD yesterday and this a.m. am up a few again. I'm pretty sure it's mostly retained water though from the salty meat I ate. I've gotten myself back into the daily weighing roller-coaster and love it lol. I do log my weight every day on the calendar and it is helpful to see how week by week the number is slowly going down, but with that vacation last week, this week's numbers have been not as much fun to watch.

I am doing a DD today and will try very hard to do a lowish MD tomorrow so I can enjoy Easter dinner at my brother's. Although that will most likely be a "salty" day too, with ham etc.

I do okay with my water. A while ago I made a new habit for myself and it seems to work pretty good for me. What I do is, if I want coffee fine, or diet pepsi fine, or crystal light fine - I just *must* drink one cup of plain ole water before I have anything liquid that is not water. Doing this has really helped me with my water intake.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

haha I'm hoping that most of this weight is from salt and water weight, too, penguin! I could also blame the fact that I'm a woman and in the middle when ovulation is going on. :P But yeah.. *sigh*

Jennifer, so happy to hear you're doing great with it! Craving healthy food is awesome! So is freaking out your co workers with new energy! lol
Old 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #265
Senior LCF member

Edens- When Dr. J writes about 'eating what you want' on UDs, he's not considering low-carbers like us but people eating a more balanced diet--as he recommends.

Anyone who eats low carb can expect to 'gain' a few pounds immediately if he or she eats a quantity of carbs. That's the water weight that's initially lost when people begin low carb--glycogen from muscles. Carbs above your threshold will result in glycogen storage and the resultant water weight gain.

My own 'threshold' is very low, and I can easily gain 5-7 lbs with a high-carb meal. It's not fat, and it will go away if the person gets back into ketosis.

This is a reality of low-carb eating that anyone who low carbs should understand so that he/she doesn't freak out over a big 'gain.'
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know what you mean, Leo, about the water gain after carby foods.

I will probably pay for this. . .but I tried a half banana in my 2 shakes today (DD) and it is carby enough for a weight gain.

Just wanted to see if it kept me satiated, or if it caused hunger.

So far, no more hunger than normal.

I do eat fruit--berries, melon like cantaloupe. Bananas--never.

It's just a trial.

Probably won't weigh tomorrow either.

I've been (mostly) low carb since 1999. I spent time once (a summer, on s study grant) in Greece where I literally could not stay low carb. I was walking so much, I didn't gain weight, and I did the best I could, but I found returning to the LC WOE almost impossible, and then the weight gain happened.

I have learned by this and other situations, I really really need to stay LC, besides the doctor (thyroid) telling me that I need to stay LC for the adrenal fatigue, which really flares when I eat carbs. Then come the steroid type medications. . .

All in all, I should have used berries in my shake, LOL.

Have a great Saturday.

edens, your bbq sound great. . .I might show up, LOL.

I'm plein air painting tomorrow (with a group)--from life, landscape, in a nature preserve. It's my Saturday outing most weeks--it's good practice, a challenge, and of course, good comraderie. They are more adventurous than I, and don't mind dragging their stuff, (last week I just photographed), so I need to pare down my equipment. I'll let you know, and maybe someday post something I feel is successful.

Janie
Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats penguin on getting off the vacation lbs. (we all know it's just water, but that takes time too. I might be fighting water lbs myself after today and the banana)
Old 04-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jennifer, congrats on the first few days--they are the hardest.

My best lesson so far:

It's okay to be hungry!! I'm not going to die from it!!

Some days are harder than others though. No way around that for me.

But someday--my DD's will be the same as MD's, or thereabouts, when I reach maintenence. Or at least I think that is the theory!!

Not going to worry about when that happens. I'm NOT.

I am trying to be satisfied that I am starting to look like myself. Everything else is just windowdressing.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello to RFL and to Happy, and everyone else I've forgotten.

I am a scatterbrained. . .academic.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #270
Senior LCF member

Janie- On low carb, I probably miss fruit more than anything--especially bananas! I know that most people miss bread, potatoes, pasta, etc., but that stuff doesn't interest me at all.

I know I could have a few berries, but my problem with fruit is that I so easily lose control, so I'm better off abstaining completely--unless I'm in a 'restricted' situation like a restaurant. I just know NOT to buy any fruit to have in the house because it will be gone much too quickly.

I seem to be extremely sensitive to carbs. If my carb level exceeds about 25g a day, the hunger and weight gain begin, so I have to be careful. Fortunately, except for 'missing' bananas, I truly love low-carb eating.

Abstaining from fruit doesn't bother me except during the summer when it's so plentiful and gorgeous. I just keep reminding myself that it's just "candy from a tree."