Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #211
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugmama View Post
I want to know if anyone has a DD that falls on a holiday, etc. and if you just switch days? I thought about doing two DD in a row (the second day a little higher calories) so I could have an UD on the special occasion day (my birthday is Thursday).
Easy to mix up your rotation schedule to make some future day be an UD.. like an upcoming birthday..

Instead of doing UD-DD-UD-DD-UD-DD, and then finding your birthday (or whatever happy occasion) falls on a DD, just change your alternating schedule to be UD-DD-UD-MD-DD-UD, or whatever change-up you need to make in order to have the social occasion be on an UD. MD/Medium Day calories can be in about the middle of what your DD and UD calories are. So still cycling the calories, but pushing the DD one day further into the future so that you can make an UD land on your special occasion day.

Have a fun celebration!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #212

P.S. (Shhhhh...... it also doesn't kill this diet if you actually just do two back-to-back UDs and then get back to your rotation.)

So you could do UD-DD-UD-UpDay Birthday-DD- like that.

Last edited by SoHappy; 04-19-2011 at 08:24 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: edens
Stats: 255?(22/24/3x)/217.0(18/20/2x)/147(or 10/12/M-L)
WOE: 1-1 thru 3-7 LC, 3-7 - current, JUDDD+LC
Start Date: 1-1-11
uuuhhhhgh, pugmama, I would NOT want to hit a hog (or anything else) with my car! Those things are like Tanks!

SoHappy, your tips on alternating days made me smile. lol
edens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #214
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pugmama
Thanks, SoHappy! That made me smile, too! It might just be UD, UD, DD! Thanks for the info and the birthday wishes! I still haven't finished the book...haven't made it to the MD part. I did read a little last night, but had a horrible sinus headache and slept with my head on a heating pad. YUCK!
Pugmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by edens View Post
Mmmm truffle oil... :P

Yep, I'm in central Texas, so hogs a plenty. This thing was uuuugly, too! lol Anyway, today was a DD after a very carby and UP UP day lol I agree it's a little harder to do it like that. Well, it's harder for me personally if I eat lots of carbs on my UD, but if I keep it lower carb it isn't as hard. I think it's a blood sugar thing. But I'm doing good, just around 470-480 calories for the day.
I'm a Texas gal, but Gulf coast Texas.

You okay with the wild fires??? Isn't that your neck of the woods.. .????
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

I've been kind of out of the loop, is San Antonio getting wild fires? I'm north of SA on 35, almost in New Braunfels. So, the coast, huh? Where? I wanna go to the beach! lol
Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcneilnomore
Stats: 309/305/150
WOE: moderate carbs and calories
Start Date: 3/10/14
Hello, sorry to intrude but I have some questions if you don't mind. I have been doing LC for three months and have lost 34 lbs (I have 160 to lose). My weight loss is really starting to slow down and I want to shake things up a bit, while still keeping LC. I tried the fast 5 but that did not work so well for me. I thought JUDDD might be a better alternative. Today is my first DD and I'm doing okay. I am drinking 3 atkins shakes today and I had one carbmaster yogurt so I'm slightly over (540 calories). I will do better next DD. As far as the questions I have:

Do you have any tips for the beginners?

Does anyone use the supplement recommended by Dr. Johnson? I'm not so sure I'm down with the skinny gene thing. I am skeptical by nature.

Did anyone not do protein shakes for the induction period? I have a fridge full of carbmaster yogurt and they are only 60 calories and 8 grams protein? What do you think of using these as main nutrition during induction? My atkins shakes have 160 calories and 15 grams protein.

Thanks in advance, I've been following this thread for a few days and am hoping that JUDDD will work for me.

-Jennifer
Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Edens, I only get the bay on weekends until May 27, I think.

Not really a beach--that's a drive for me too.

I guess you are not having the wildfires which (I think) are north of you, south of Ft. Worth. (Possum Kingdom, I heard on the news)

And that's a good thing--that you are south of them!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneilnomore View Post
Hello, sorry to intrude but I have some questions if you don't mind. I have been doing LC for three months and have lost 34 lbs (I have 160 to lose). My weight loss is really starting to slow down and I want to shake things up a bit, while still keeping LC. I tried the fast 5 but that did not work so well for me. I thought JUDDD might be a better alternative. Today is my first DD and I'm doing okay. I am drinking 3 atkins shakes today and I had one carbmaster yogurt so I'm slightly over (540 calories). I will do better next DD. As far as the questions I have:

Do you have any tips for the beginners?

Does anyone use the supplement recommended by Dr. Johnson? I'm not so sure I'm down with the skinny gene thing. I am skeptical by nature.

Did anyone not do protein shakes for the induction period? I have a fridge full of carbmaster yogurt and they are only 60 calories and 8 grams protein? What do you think of using these as main nutrition during induction? My atkins shakes have 160 calories and 15 grams protein.

Thanks in advance, I've been following this thread for a few days and am hoping that JUDDD will work for me.

-Jennifer
Good job on your first day.

I have always made my own shakes--but I know everyone is doing this the way JUDDD works for them. They are based on protein powder, almond milk, and glucomannon powder, plus flavorings. Sometimes the shakes are more pudding texture.

I have found sufficient protein a help--or maybe I think it helps, thereful it does.

I also found I need something during the day to chew. . .and that varies for me, veggies, salads, and shirataki noodles, also a very low cal/low carb muffin that Ouizoid invented. My egg drop soup is low cal too, and I can always go back to that.

But that's just me.

I do not use the supplements Dr. Johnson advocates.

I am having fantastic (for me) results, and know JUDDD works for me--kind of a miracle system.

Hope this helps.

I think you will find lots of support here.

And we all JUDDD just a little differently.

Janie

p.s. WELCOME
Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Evening Y'all!

Today is a DD and I'm just doing my best to get through it! Tomorrow, come soon!!!

How is everyone doing?
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jennifer! Welcome, welcome!

I love JUDDD, like Janie, it has been nothing short of a miracle for my weight loss. Seriously, I have NEVER had these types of results.

I agree 100% with Janie's post and I echo her answers.

1) I really rely on protein on my DDs. I am diabetic and I try to keep my carbs lower, especially on DDs. I would say to keep yourself from getting too hungry by drinking a lot (I drink water, tea, homemade broths -defatted and homemade egg white protein shakes.) I keep drinking all day in between any meals I have/

On UDs the calorie cap is important for me. It's so easy for me to overeat, but if I plug everything into Fitay beforehand and have my meals / foods planned out and ready in advance (for example, cooking up the hard-boiled eggs so I have them.) I love eggs and use the pastured kind.

2) I do not take any of the recommended JUDDD supplements. Never have.

3) Like I said, I make my own protein shakes based on egg white protein powder, unsweetened cocoa and stevia.

4) I use a lot of organic lettuce, celery and low calorie, low carb "chewy" veggies on both DDs and UPs.

The best advice I can offer is to just do it!! And come here and interact with this wonderful, supportive, caring group! You'll get ideas and support.

Best success and again, welcome!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #222
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaysol
RFL - you look gorgeous in your dress, what a great color on you! The truffle oil is actually grapeseed oil infused with essence of truffle (whatever that means). It was a little pricy $13 but a little goes a long way - just drizzle...

So Happy thank for for always making everything seem reedemable. I know even if I mess up and have a REALLY high day it doesnt matter, the next down day will make up for it and it will come off - even if it takes awhile. I always tend to have an all or nothing mentality about dieting - if I mess up, its all over. That was my hardest thing about weight watchers. If I ate something and couldnt figure out the points I figured it would throw the whole week off and then I wouldnt lose anyways and I would just be waiting for the next week to "start over". with juddd the start over is only a day away so it wont matter.

I do need to eat more low carb on my down days I've decided. I just get too darned hungry if not and I can't quit thinking about food. also helps if I dont overdo it on my ud's I think. Still playing with the numbers and food but loving this diet.

Pugmama - happy birthday!

Eden- beautiful picture. I still haven't figured out how to add stats, pictures etc. little slow on this stuff!

My new theme song for dd -" Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, your always a day a way..." (from Annie yep, I'm a dork...
kaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kaysol, you think you are a dork. . .(I have a two headed avatar, LOL) and I love the song, I think I'll sing it all day tomorrow for my DD.

I am a self proclaimed nerd (dork will work too). (my job--I'm a classicist, no kidding, specialty, Latin, ancient Rome, ancient Greece, archaeology. No bigger nerd found anywhere!)

Night night, everybody, early morn for me tomorrow.

Janie
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
(my job--I'm a classicist, no kidding, specialty, Latin, ancient Rome, ancient Greece, archaeology.
Ouch!

Just kidding. Actually, I'm amazed and impressed.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #225

Kaysol, I'll keep fingers crossed that when you keep to more low carb on your DDs it controls your appetite better. Anything that can help in that way is a godsend, certainly. My biggest problem is trying to drink enough beverage. I most often feel very little thirst, so I have to really remember to drink. Hugs!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #226

Welcome, Jennifer! JUDDD is really, really easy to do. It's sometimes hard to stick to the calorie levels you are supposed to stay with, but the concept is simple and IT WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL. If you are programmed to be able to lose weight reasonably well, this eating plan can get it melting off you pretty fast. And if you are programmed to not lose weight very easily at all, this plan will still give you the ability to make it come off.

I see that you've been given the basics. Hope you love it as much as we do!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #227

RFL, been thinking about you today and keeping my fingers crossed for you that you were having a DD and it was going comfortably for you.

So tired. Have to go to bed early tonight.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #228
Junior LCF Member

so happy, I have the same problem with drinking (my drinking problem and it involves water I never feel thirsty, I could literally go all day and not get thirsty till night. I have to make my self drink water (my cardiologist keeps telling me being dehydrated is the worst for my condition and even that doesn't make me do it). I have been adding that new MIO stuff to my water -just a little to flavor it and it helps a little...we should do a little water report to eachother to try to get it in....
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysol View Post
so happy, I have the same problem with drinking (my drinking problem and it involves water I never feel thirsty, I could literally go all day and not get thirsty till night. I have to make my self drink water (my cardiologist keeps telling me being dehydrated is the worst for my condition and even that doesn't make me do it). I have been adding that new MIO stuff to my water -just a little to flavor it and it helps a little...we should do a little water report to eachother to try to get it in....
I'm excited about this! We check in here every day anyway. This is going to be a big help to me, I think... as long as I can remember that I'm supposed to be reporting in each evening. (off to set out my favorite giant glass for tomorrow...) (Oh! And a long straw! That will make it more fun...)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

LOL Every time I think about Mio (I did buy some but haven't tried it) I think of Sassy Gay Friend. If y'all haven't seen this you HAVE to go to youtube and watch it! My favorite is the Romeo and Juliet one. Sassy Gay Friend is huge to quote in my circle of friends. Thanks for the compliment on the picture, kaysol! If you look at the blue bar at the top of the threads where it says 'user control panel' that's where you can add all the pics and info. 'User Details' is where you put your stats. 'Edit avatar' is where you upload a pic.

Hoo boy I'm so glad I don't live near fires! *sigh* I can't wait to go to the beach!

I'm totally up for reporting on water! I have a water bottle with a built in filter (bobble) and when I drink 2 (They're 34 oz bottles) I know I've had my water for the day. Since its got the filter, I save on money for bottled water, too! Yay! If I don't have my bobble I'm really bad about drinking. I just ate dinner (late, I know, but my consultation ran late with tonight's appointment then I went to the gym) and I am just now starting on a bottle. I'm hoping it will help counter the fact that I just ate like 3-4x more than I should have. lol Stupid 6pm appointment keeping me from eating at a normal time!

Anywho, WELCOME JENNIFER!!! I love JUDDD. It took me 2 months to lose 17 pounds (which I admit is still good but when you're like us with So much to lose, it can't come off fast enough) and then in my first 3 weeks on JUDDD I lost 13 pounds!!!!!!!!!! Then I went on a week long vacation, gained a little because I ate non low carb non JUDDD, and last week I lost 4 pounds! So! lol

I will say the scales can sometimes yo-yo a little, so don't be surprised if you're down 1 pound one day and up .4 the next, then down 2 pounds, then up .8, etc. I think most of us have an official weekly weigh day, but I'm a compulsive weigher. lol

I didn't do shakes very much, if I did I made them home-made using designer whey and pb2 powder, ice, vanilla, splenda, glucommanan powder. I DID and do still eat Atkins bars on down days and occasionally up days, too! They have a great balance of fat and protein to help keep me full for a long time. I like the 130 or 170 calorie bars, and I also will sometimes have low carb yogurt or sf jello mousse for snacks. I guess my main go-to is the bars, since they're more filling than the yogurts. But I prefer 'real' food when I'm not busy. I also eat cheese sticks, 100 calorie packs of almonds, eggs and egg beaters, low carb tortillas (mine are 50 calories), nitrate free beef hot dogs (180 calories but very filling if you eat with a big salad), big salads , lots of other cooked veggies, shiritake noodles, lean ground beef and chicken breast (no skin/bone, pan grilled with nonstick cooking spray).

I try to keep things low carb because it works better for me. Getting a food scale will help you measure out your meat portions, and ****** or ********* can help you track how many calories you eat. A lot of times I will skip breakfast, have a 130 calorie bar for lunch/snack, then a couple hours later have a cheese stick (70) and a yogurt (45), Then have meat and veggies for dinner. LOTS OF VEGGIES. That's the great thing about them, you can eat a lot! lol

One of my favorites is grilled chicken southwest salad, 4 oz grilled or pan cooked (in non stick cooking spray) skinless boneless chicken, sliced into thin strips like fajita meat (120 calories), 2 cups of salad mix (about 20-25 depending on the type), 1/2 cup bell chopped bell pepper (about 20 calories), topped with a few tbs of salsa (most are 5 or so calories) or fresh pico de gallo if your store carries it, which I prefer since it has onions and a little cilantro and jalepeno. So, like around 175 for the whole big meal! If you've been really good with calories so far in the day and want a little extra something, 2 tbs of sour cream (full fat) is 60 calories or do a couple of tbs of shredded cheese

Good luck and welcome to JUDDD!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 AM   #231
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jennifer- I don't want to appear unwelcoming, but what do you mean by "slow down" in terms of your loss on low carb? You've lost more than 10 lbs a month, which is substantial, IMO. I realize that you want to lose a great deal more, but losing more slowly is both natural and healthy.

It seems to me that it may be a little premature for you to want to 'shake things up.' Fast loss when there's a lot to lose is, IMO, a mistake. If your loss is slowing, it may be simply because your body needs some time to adjust to the fairly quick loss you've experienced so far, and trying to 'push' your body may do more harm than good in the long run.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, SoHappy, I have loved what I do, but looking forward to retirement in 5 1/2 weeks Yippee!

Good morning all you JUDDDers.

Leo, I didn't catch that on Jennifer's weight loss, good catch.

Good advice too.

Have a great morning and day, be it UD or DD, it's DD for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pugmama
Hope all you Texans are o.k. out there. Ck'd CNN.com to get an update. I will be praying off and on throughout the day!
DD went fairly well until I got home. I went over by about 200 cal. Not good, but I still lost. When I see the numbers down a little on the scale it helps me to carry on.
Have a great day everyone!
Pugmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #234
Senior LCF member

Magnameter-

You are going to LOVE retirement! I, too, loved my job, but I retired 5 years ago because at 65, the intense work (it was intense!) 5 days a week was too much for me physically.

I have never missed work at all! In fact, I sometimes wonder how I managed to fit a job into my schedule, since I seem to be so busy.

To me, the best part of retirement is not having to rush out of the house every morning. I really savor my extra cup of coffee in my pjs!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Edens - I have a new quote to hang on my fridge - "what are you doing, what, what, what are you doing" - perfect fit
Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcneilnomore
Stats: 309/305/150
WOE: moderate carbs and calories
Start Date: 3/10/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jennifer- I don't want to appear unwelcoming, but what do you mean by "slow down" in terms of your loss on low carb? You've lost more than 10 lbs a month, which is substantial, IMO. I realize that you want to lose a great deal more, but losing more slowly is both natural and healthy.

It seems to me that it may be a little premature for you to want to 'shake things up.' Fast loss when there's a lot to lose is, IMO, a mistake. If your loss is slowing, it may be simply because your body needs some time to adjust to the fairly quick loss you've experienced so far, and trying to 'push' your body may do more harm than good in the long run.
Leo, I understand your concern. I'm sure you guys must see tons of people who want to JUDDD just to lose weight super quick so they're in and out of this forum. My weight loss has been nice and I lost lots of weight in the last half of January and February. I lost 7 lbs in March and so far 6 lbs in April. I don't want super duper fast weight loss but I would like to see 2 lbs per week. At this point, I'm experimenting with what my body will respond best to. I usually eat 20 carbs or under a day and average around 1600 calories. I am trying JUDDD for two weeks to see if I feel good on this woe. If I feel like it's having a negative impact on me, I will try increasing my carbs and lowering my fat. Just trying to find what works best for me, not only in weight loss, but also with the way I feel day to day. Am I making any sense?

So, I made it through my first DD. I was hungry. I don't like drinking atkins shakes for a day. Truth be told, shakes have never filled me up so I don't know why I thought that would change in a day. I'm going to follow Eden's advice and use bars to supplement. They always keep me full for several hours. Thank you to everyone for your advice, experience, and welcome. I appreciate it.
mcneilnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #237
Senior LCF member

Jennifer-
I never used shakes with JUDDD! Nor bars either. First of all, my body doesn't seem to register liquids as food. I could have a 200-cal. shake and be starving within an hour. Also, when I started doing DDs, I discovered that my body reacts to all artificial sweeteners exactly like sugar--I get hungry. So I avoid all sweeteners, too.

So I eat only 'real food' on JUDDD. As you may know, the purpose of the shakes is that Dr. J knows the research indicates that most people overestimate their calories, and for the 'health benefits' of JUDDD, it's essential to keep to that 500 cal. level. But I'm an old calorie counter who is quite expert--I don't eat anything on a DD unless I know the exact number of calories.

Like you, I'm a little skeptical about the 'health benefits.' I eat low carb for health and do JUDDD to control my calories.

One thing to keep in mind if you don't like this is that any form of calorie cycling is supposed to be better than eating the same number each day. A couple of people here discovered that the low DDs caused them go binge on UDs (they had a history of binge eating), and one of them still cycles calories but with more variety than JUDDD and without going so low on any one day.

Good luck with your plans. I believe that effective weight management requires that we understand ourselves and how our bodies function best.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

How is your JUDDDD day going today?

I did well on my DD yesterday, thank G-d! I was worried but it's over (until tomorrow, LOL! )

Today is a MD for me, not an UP.

It's going pretty well. I'm doing a bunch of cleaning and planting and if I get fatigued and hungry I'll add to my calories. Right now I'm shooting for under 1000. I have 2 days of buffets coming up Friday and Saturday and I DON'T want to "holiday" eat, so I'm kinda "banking."

So yesterday was a DD, today is a MD, tomorrow is a DD and Friday will be a MD with Sunday as an UD. Confusing as MUDDD, but hey it makes sense to me!

Next week I plan to go back to my regularly-scheduled JUDDD days.

How's everyone's water intake today?

I drink a lot of water and I add a little stevia to it so it's refreshing and satisfying. I must drink over a gallon a day.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jennifer,

Prepared shakes never fill me up and they give me headaches to boot! All the chemicals I guess.

But my homemade shakes are very filling. If you have / like protein powders (I like egg white) you can create your own shakes, very low calorie. But, if the bars fill you up better, that might work for you.

Glad you're aboard, hey what do you have to lose by trying JUDDD but excess weight! Right?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #240

RFL, good thing you posted! I only just now have thought of the fluid intake today! It's 2:00 in the afternoon, and so far I've only had a cup of water to take morning pills with and a cup of hot tea. Heading in to drink a glass of water!

You mentioned *banking calories*... I've always loved that concept. The first time I ever heard that term it sounded like a really workable concept. That should help you be in perfect position to enjoy your two days of buffets coming up.