Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gweny70
Stats: 366 HW/Restart 306/216/145
WOE: General Low Carb
Just wanted to say HI. I've been doing a lot of lurking and thinking about trying out this plan...however I'm waiting until after Saturday because I'm running a 5K Sat morning and not trying to worry about UD, DD, MD until after I make it through the race..But I would like to join you guys after Sat....I have learned a lot from reading all your posts. Your success, positivity and support of each other is very inspiring!!

I do have a question though..I exercise (Zumba & Running) and I don't want to give that up. I'm reading that the concensus is to have UD on workout days right? That definitely makes sense. However in order to do that I need to make sure my UD's fall on the same days of the week each week (in line with my Zumba classes)...so what do you do with that extra day in the week? I know you aren't supposed to have 2 DD's in a row so do you make that extra day another UD or maybe a MD?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I look forward to getting to know everyone better!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
YES ! I had a DD !!!!

first one in ages ! (10 days to be precise!) it feels so good !!

I even went to my zumba class tonight ! so gweny70 you might prefer exercizing on an UD but well, you can survive a DD zumba class !!! I'm the living proof of it

let's hope i can have a DD on thursday too

have a good afternoon/evening/whatever ! i'm going to bed anyway
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Congrats on your DD annieS!!!!! That's wonderful! And encouraging to hear that it felt great AND that you were able to successfully survive do your Zumba class!! Wonderful!!! Congrats again!!!!
gweny70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneilnomore View Post
Will you guys throw something at me if I ask yet another question? I'm just wondering what effects JUDDD has had on your weight loss? I lost 2.4 pounds last week which I am very happy with. My weight loss goal is to lose consistently which I think is very possible with the calorie defecit you get from JUDDD. I am just curious what the experience has been with long time JUDDDers. Faster, slower, consistent, etc???
Hi Jennifer!
I've been doing JUDDD since January 16th.
Before then, I was doing straight LC.

I have several health challenges and I usually don't lose consistently or well and I hit roadblocks in my weight, especially at 175. I hadn't been able to get below it no matter what WOE I did.

So, when I started JUDDD, my weight loss TOOK OFF and it has been nothing short of an amazing miracle. I kid you not.

If you go to the first pages of this month's JUDDD, you'll see my monthly talleys and overall weight loss. I'm shocked and ecstatic. I never lost this well on anything before and kept on losing.

Now, I know January is not all that long, but it's working for me.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome GWEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe Dr. Johnson advises against exercising on DDs because it can make you hungry, lower your blood glucose and you may not have the stamina that you have on UD or MDs.

I know (just speaking for me), when I have tried to exercise on DDs it made me feel awful. However, I am a diabetic, so that factors in. I tried it several times and I always got weak, muscle exhaustion and extreme hunger. So, I just don't do it.

Your question of having set days of the week for UD, DD is one that is simple! Dr. Johnson says do not do 2 consecutive DDs, and I don't want to gain because of the higher calories doing back to back UDs (it's too easy for me to overeat), so I plug in a MD, which is halfway between my DD and UD.

My calorie caps are UP 1500 cals / 30-40 carbs (I shoot for less tho)
DD 500 cals / 20 carbs (ditto)
SO, my MDs are 1000 cals / 30 carbs (again, ditto)

I plug in MDs whenever I want to use a day to set my schedule the way I want it. So, to have the same days eahc week, I do UD, DD and then MD to fill in the extra.

Have a great run and thanks for joining us!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evening Y'all!

How is everyone doing? Having a good JUDDD day?

I went to the gym and did some intense water walking and then shopped with my family. OK, I was STARVING after exercising, but I didn't eat until we got home and then I ate roast chicken. WOW, it was like candy it was so good!

Today was an MD in calories and I'm coming in good, YAY! Tomorrow will be a DD and I'm making homemade chicken stock overnight in the slowcooker for tomorrow.

Saying HI to everyone who is so quiet!!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: edens
Stats: 255?(22/24/3x)/217.0(18/20/2x)/147(or 10/12/M-L)
WOE: 1-1 thru 3-7 LC, 3-7 - current, JUDDD+LC
Start Date: 1-1-11
Hi Gweny! I do DD alllll the time with zumba. And Dr. Johnson says if you know you burned X amount of calories, it's ok to eat X amount higher than the 20% of your RDI. As long as you burn the excess.
edens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 AM   #308
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't exercise on DDs because I think it's more important to keep calories low--and they are too low for me to sustain exercise. That's why I initially set my DDs at M, W, Fri--because I was exercising on T, Th, Sat.

I also like having the same DDs every week, and to do that I made either Sat. or Sun a MD.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: edens
Stats: 255?(22/24/3x)/217.0(18/20/2x)/147(or 10/12/M-L)
WOE: 1-1 thru 3-7 LC, 3-7 - current, JUDDD+LC
Start Date: 1-1-11
I think it's different for everyone. I'll usually eat a 130 calorie Atkins bar for the protein about 30 minutes before my workout if it's been a while since I've eaten, if I'm feeling tired.
edens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Just stopping in to say I'm having trouble getting back on track after my 4 day holiday, Easter being one of the days.

I've not had a DD since Friday--but managed a few MD.

I will hope to get really hard core LC and manage a DD tomorrow.

That's my plan.

Thanks for listening.

Janie
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #311
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Just stopping in to say I'm having trouble getting back on track after my 4 day holiday, Easter being one of the days.

I've not had a DD since Friday--but managed a few MD.

I will hope to get really hard core LC and manage a DD tomorrow.

That's my plan.

Thanks for listening.

Janie
We were just having that interesting discussion on *Willpower* over in the Main Lobby yesterday, so your post is making me laugh.

I identify with having a hard time sometimes staying as low as I want to on DDs, and occasionally in keeping an UD within my set limit, although I've found that limit is maybe a bit lower than it needs to be.

And it does take my willpower to get back on track again after having taken an intentional break from it if something came up that was ongoing and I had decided to set JUDDD aside for a number of days.

Good luck in getting back on track with JUDDD yourself. It's such an easy and wonderful and simple way of weight loss and management, it's well worth the struggle to get back into the flow of it.

Have a great day, Everyone.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone!! Thanks for all of the great responses!! So the answer is a MD --thank you so much! Now I just need to get back in calorie counting mode/mind set...I haven't done that in SO SO long! I'm sure it will be a trial and error thing to determine what kind of foods will work best for me in sticking with that 500 calorie limit on DD's..but thinking I will have to stay VLC to avoid cravings...

Thanks again for the great responses! Hope everyone is having a great hump day!!

Last edited by gweny70; 04-27-2011 at 07:26 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70 View Post
Good morning everyone!! Thanks for all of the great responses!! So the answer is a MD --thank you so much! TNow I just need to get back in calorie counting mode/mind set...I haven't done that in SO SO long! I'm sure it will be a trial and error thing to determine what kind of foods will work best for me in sticking with that 500 calorie limit on DD's..but thinking I will have to stay VLC to avoid cravings...

Thanks again for the great responses! Hope everyone is having a great hump day!!
Hi Gwen!

I find I need low cal / low carb "fillers", such as cabbage, celery and lettuce. These, along with lean proteins work best for me, and the all important LIQUIDS!! Water, homemade defatted chicken broth etc.

I know you'll find what works best for you. It will be FUN and an adventure!! YAY! And we're right here with you!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hi Gwen! I exercise whenever I can so sometimes it's on DD's. I apparently have enough "stored" fuel on my body so that it's not been a problem. If you feel like it, do it or just make your UD's set with your exercise days. I'm hoping as I lose some more weight I will experience "exercise" hunger...just not happened yet.
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hi Gwen!

I find I need low cal / low carb "fillers", such as cabbage, celery and lettuce. These, along with lean proteins work best for me, and the all important LIQUIDS!! Water, homemade defatted chicken broth etc.

I know you'll find what works best for you. It will be FUN and an adventure!! YAY! And we're right here with you!
The low cal/low carb fillers are a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion! I'm thinking maybe lots of lc veggie stirfry's too--they always seem to fill me up..altho that is with added butter so might not be quite as filling w/out the fat...but I will learn as I go. Thanks again for the feedback! Truly appreciate it!

Yes lots and lots of water will definitely be helpful--and chicken broth!

The one liquid I am worried about on DD's is my coffee--I really don't want to give it up but I don't know if I'm willing to give up the calories for the H & H either....decisions decisions. Whatever I decide the nice thing about this plan is knowing it's just for that one day..the next day I can have it if I want. NICE.

Do you find that your first DD is the hardest and then that they get easier as you get accustomed to them OR is it random and some DD's are easy and some more difficult?

Last edited by gweny70; 04-27-2011 at 07:36 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hi Gwen! I exercise whenever I can so sometimes it's on DD's. I apparently have enough "stored" fuel on my body so that it's not been a problem. If you feel like it, do it or just make your UD's set with your exercise days. I'm hoping as I lose some more weight I will experience "exercise" hunger...just not happened yet.
Thanks for sharing your experience! That's encouraging to know because IDEALLY I really want to keep doing Zumba at least twice a week plus run at least 2-3 times a week so inevitably something will probably fall on a DD...I guess it will be one of those wait and see type things..Like everything else an experiment of what will work best for me and my body. I too don't really get that hungry after exercising--at least not with cardio..Now when I lift weights I do get hungry afterwards. Weird huh? LoL

Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #317
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Janie-
You can do this, and as SoHappy says, it's definitely worth it. I've had the opposite experience. When I've been unable to do DDs for a couple of days (or even a week or two when I've been on vacation), my body seems to 'demand' one at the first opportunity. It's definitely a weird reaction, but it may be that I was doing JUDDD for so long before I ever took a break and appreciated it's value that I subconsciously long to get back to my DDs ASAP.

Gwen-
I don't think I could do JUDDD if I didn't eat low carb. It's the only WOE that controls my appetite. On DDs, I rarely have any carbs at all.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcneilnomore
Stats: 309/305/150
WOE: moderate carbs and calories
Start Date: 3/10/14
Good Morning! Had a great up day yesterday. I had a nice lunch and wasn't hungry for dinner so just had a shake. My calories were pretty low but I also saw a loss on the scale this morning which has got to be good after an up day. I just need to figure out what kind of calorie load I should be taking in. Right now I am just eating when I'm hungry and tracking it to find the trend. I'm a dd today and I think it will be a good one. Welcome to Gwen!!! I'm very new at this, too. Everyone have a great Wednesday!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Leo and SoHappy, you are right, it is worth it. I am staying super low carb today to ease my hunger.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Janie
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Gwen,

I keep my DDs low carb, BUT, I can do that and still use fillers like celery etc. Each person should find the carb level that's best for them. My goal is less than 20 gm on DDs and I can do that and even eat celery. I do focus on protein tho they are usually more calorie-dense. I tend to eat a lot of eggs on DDs for the protein, low carb and pretty low calorie aspects.

It's easy to see the carb counts (as well as calorie) at ******.com

Hope this helps!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hi Gwen,

I keep my DDs low carb, BUT, I can do that and still use fillers like celery etc. Each person should find the carb level that's best for them. My goal is less than 20 gm on DDs and I can do that and even eat celery. I do focus on protein tho they are usually more calorie-dense. I tend to eat a lot of eggs on DDs for the protein, low carb and pretty low calorie aspects.

It's easy to see the carb counts (as well as calorie) at ******.com

Hope this helps!
Yes I think I will be doing lots of eggs as well..and chicken..and water and chicken broth..at least at first just until I get the hang of things. Thanks for the advice and info about ******!

Have a great Thursday everyone! Hope everyone & their families have been safe with all the bad storms hitting us the last couple of days. TAKE CARE!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning! These DD's are starting to get more manageable. They're not my favorite part of the week but increasing my protein really helped. I don't know how anyone can do it using shakes like the website suggests, I can't believe I made it past my first day doing that! This is going to be a great week for weight loss! TOM showed up yesterday and I had a whoosh. Hooray! It's going to be a beautiful Day today, dh is in kitchen cooking chicken for my lunch and I'm drinking a cup of coffee with cream (UD) before work.

Gwen, When are you going to start your down day? You look live you've got it all planned and ready to go.

Janie, How did your dd go?
mcneilnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good Morning! These DD's are starting to get more manageable. They're not my favorite part of the week but increasing my protein really helped. I don't know how anyone can do it using shakes like the website suggests, I can't believe I made it past my first day doing that! This is going to be a great week for weight loss! TOM showed up yesterday and I had a whoosh. Hooray! It's going to be a beautiful Day today, dh is in kitchen cooking chicken for my lunch and I'm drinking a cup of coffee with cream (UD) before work.

Gwen, When are you going to start your down day? You look live you've got it all planned and ready to go.
So SO glad to hear the DD's are getting more manageable..that is encouraging to a newbie like me that is about to start this soon. I'm definitely going to focus on the protein too once I start. I would love to be able to do the shakes--it would make it really easy but like you I don't know how people do that. Shakes do not fill me up or satisfy me at all..at least not on their own. I'd have to have one WITH a protein bar or with something else for it to have any affect on my hunger or be filling...

I might actually be having an unintentional DD today..LOL...Just got back from Dr office and I have Strep..ugh..No wonder I've felt like crap all week. I don't feel like eating anything..just soup maybe..I'm discouraged because don't know if I'll be better in time for the 5K this Sat.. Either way I believe my first PLANNED DD is going to be Monday..but that could change depending on how I'm feeling..but that is the plan at least.

Congrats on your after TOM whoosh!! Aren't those the best!! That's usually the only time I even see a whoosh and I look forward to it every month! CONGRATS!!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Awwww Gwen, I'm sorry to hear about the strep. I had it two weeks ago and know exactly what you're going through. Hot foods always worked best for me, take care of yourself, you'll feel better tomorrow after those anti-biotics kick in.

And the dd's have definitely gotten better. The first two days, I couldn't look at food, cook it, read about it, nothing. It made me too weak. When I got home I just went upstairs and read. Last night on my dd, I watched man vs. food on tv. I couldn't have done that last week!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi y'all!!

Gwen, I'm so sorry you feel badly. I hope you feel better soon!!

Jennifer: YAY! It takes a little learning curve (at least it did for me), but once you find the "groove", it's much more manageable. Of course, there still are those "white knuckle" DDs, but they are not the norm for most people.

Mine today is all liquids and a LOT of liquids. Homemade protein shake and homemade defatted chicken broth and lots of water. My homemade protein shake is 120 cal and 3 carbs so I have 2 and then the other liquids. Works for me.

How is everyone today???

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 04-28-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Hope you're feeling better soon, Gwen, and can handle the 5k. I admire your desire to do it!

RFL - what is "intense water walking?"

I'm sad to realize that my April has been a setback month for me. Looks like I'll end up the month a couple of pounds higher than my previous low - between vacation, parties, Easter and our anniversary (38 years woot!) I really overdid it on my UDs. And I learned that I really truly MUST stick LC on my UDs because otherwise the cravings awaken and make everything so much harder. I've had the worst time controlling my UDs these past couple of weeks and I know it's because I haven't been diligent about keeping them LC. I have been getting through the DDs okay but then totally eat out of control on the UDs.

Well, yesterday I had a super-low DD, and so far today I'm doing okay on this UD. I changed gears and my UDs are now gonna be super LC and maybe a bit high-ish on the total calorie count until I get them back under control.

We have a short trip to take this weekend - family event in Buffalo - so I'll get one more good DD in there tomorrow before I have to worry about that party.

Congrats to everyone who is doing well and "hang in there" to everyone else (like me!)

And boo hoo, my team lost last night, so the hockey season is over in Pittsburgh.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Can you guys tell me how you chose your calorie limit on your up days?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #328
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Can you guys tell me how you chose your calorie limit on your up days?
Go to this site (I hope the link loads) where you can calculate your daily calorie needs.

It will ask you for your age, height, current weight, and activity level. I strongly advise you to enter the lowest activity level above just BMR, because the vast majority of us wouldn't need to lose weight if our bodies responded to a decent amount of physical activity normally. Most of us have a pretty sluggish response to any exercise we actually get, and most of us overestimate how much exercise that is.

So if you use the resulting number for your Up Days, you can then figure what you want your Down Days to be, and your MDs too.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Last edited by SoHappy; 04-28-2011 at 04:52 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI!!

Donna: It's water walking with more intensity than normal.

Jennifer: I chose 1500 calories because I knew if I stuck to that cap I would lose weight. Now, 60 pounds down, I think it's time to lower that cap. We'll see.

Today was supposed to be a DD and I did great until 8PM and then I caved. However, I'm still OK calorie-wise, just at my cap.

Tomorrow, I won't be able to do a DD, so I'll shoot for a MD.

How is everyone doing??
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the link sohappy! I chose desk job/little or no exercise because that's what I do. My weight for maintaining is 2,295 calories. It said for weight loss I should eat 2000 calories. Which is less than one pound per week. Not good enough. Ok, so time to do some math...in order to lose two pounds per week I would need to consume 1,295 calories per day. 500 calories one day and 2090 calories the next day would average to that 1295. I guess I'll call that 2090 calories my absolute maximum. Anything less than that is gravy (and I do love gravy).

Low days = 500 calories
Medium days= 1500 calories
High days= 2000 calories

Does this look about right? I would need to reevaluate while losing weight, every 10 lbs or so.

Thanks for letting me think "out loud" here. <3