Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sweetpea49
Stats: 228.5/165/150 Restart 10/12/10 207.5/166.0/165.0
WOE: 17 Day Diet--Cycle 4 Maintenance
Start Date: 1/27/03
I am prepared for my DD today -- cami, wool sweater, scarf and shawl! I think that's enough layers!! I weighed myself this morning and saw a new lower number and am very encouraged by this WOE and the fact that the scale is finally moving again in the right direction.

Question: On Atkins, you can stay on induction level carbs for as long as you want. What about JUDDD? Do you stay on less than 500 cal on DD for more than the 2 weeks recommended?

Have a great day!
sweetpea49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Hi everyone, It seems I have a herniated disc in my neck and I am in a lot of pain. On top of that, I am experiencing pms which has caused my hunger to be off the charts. Needless to say I haven't done well.....I haven't been handling the stress of the pain combined with the pms, but today I intend to get a grip on things and have a dd. Can't sit at the computer long at all but wanted to send a quick update.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Leisa....so sorry you are in such pain! Please take care of yourself. How did you herniate your disc? Hope you have a good doctor and some good pain medication.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #184
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sweetpea- You should get a DD calorie number from the JUDDD website. There's a calculator there to figure your calories for DDs. My initial number was 430, so I did that from the beginning. If your number is higher than 500, then you can go to that right after 2 weeks at 500. But it's fairly unusual to get a DD number higher than 500 in my experience with others on this board.

Leisa- So sorry about your pain! When there are nerves involved, as with spinal issues, I know the pain can be excruciating. I hope you're seeing a doctor soon.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #185
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea49 View Post
I am prepared for my DD today -- cami, wool sweater, scarf and shawl! I think that's enough layers!! I weighed myself this morning and saw a new lower number and am very encouraged by this WOE and the fact that the scale is finally moving again in the right direction.

Question: On Atkins, you can stay on induction level carbs for as long as you want. What about JUDDD? Do you stay on less than 500 cal on DD for more than the 2 weeks recommended?

Have a great day!
Sweetpea, on JUDDD you don't have to 'detox' yourself from anything, or make your body change how it operates or what it burns for fuel, so there is no Induction phase. You just eat less.

The number of 500 calories or less is because this number has been found to be low enough to cause the eventual activation of your *skinny gene* and related health improvements.

For ongoing weight loss, you just keep doing it. DD=500 or fewer calories. UD=your personal maintenance number of calories.

When you're finally at the weight you would like to maintain at, for awhile or forever, you will increase your calories on both DDs and UDs by a little bit, but you will still have both kinds of days, just not too far down on DDs and not too hog wild on UDs. You keep the teeter-totter effect going forever, just at not such low levels as during your weight loss, so very easy and comfortable for maintenance.

You will increase your calories somewhat gradually until you find the perfect number balance for yourself. That'll be nice, won't it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
Hi everyone, It seems I have a herniated disc in my neck and I am in a lot of pain. On top of that, I am experiencing pms which has caused my hunger to be off the charts. Needless to say I haven't done well.....I haven't been handling the stress of the pain combined with the pms, but today I intend to get a grip on things and have a dd. Can't sit at the computer long at all but wanted to send a quick update.
Leisa, I am so sorry you are having this pain. I hope you can get some rest and get the pressure on that disc so you don't feel so bad.

Also hope you can get back to doing your JUDDD days in a way that will make you happy with them. I know when I stick to my DDs, it seems to control my appetite better than any other plan I've been on. Something about the fasting that *re-sets* my brain's belief it has to send hunger signals to my tummy or something. Hope that will kick in for you too shortly

Hope you feel better quickly!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
RealFood- Did you know that the only truly scientific studies on JUDDD show that it helps with asthma? I'm certainly not suggesting that you put your daughter on JUDDD, but I've always been fascinated with that, unable to figure out the connection between calorie cycling and breathing improvement.

A while ago, we had a woman here doing JUDDD who had not read the book and did not know this. None of us knew that she had advanced emphysema. As she stayed with JUDDD, she eventually told us when she reported that she had been able to get off oxygen entirely, use her inhaler less, and, after a while, even lower her meds. She attributed it all to losing weight, but then we told her about the asthma study, and she was convinced that it was JUDDD and that SIRT1 gene.
I just wanted to chime in and say that YES, my asthma has also improved greatly. I use an inhaled corticosteroid to help control it, but still was using my emergency inhaler at least once a day before work or a workout. I have not had to use it in several weeks, at all. I have cut down my corticosteroid to once a day. That's pretty amazing!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #188
Senior LCF member

SoHappy-
This IS an induction phase with JUDDD--the two weeks that Dr. J insists that everyone eat 500 cal or fewer. The DD calorie level then reverts to whatever the calculator gives the person. There are some very large people whose DD number may be higher than 500, but everyone is instructed to do 500 or less for those initial two weeks.

The good thing is that if person's DD level is substantially lower (e.g., mine is currently 350), then it's a little easier to go lower from 500 than to just try to begin at 350, at least that's what I found out when my first DD calculator number was 430. After doing that for a year, I checked, and my number was 350 because of the weight I'd lost. It was relatively easy to drop from 430 to 350, so it's nice the way this program is arranged.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Morning lovely JUDDDers~~

Today is a DD, YAY!! I love my DDs!!!!!!!!!!!

Taking The Princess to the dr for a breathing test since her asthma is still flared. (Haven't had time to work on getting for dietary changes).

No exercise for me today, as I am very sore from my little workouts all this week. I AM however, thinking about doing some Callanetics, which is basically stretching and holding. I think that would be good to do on my DDs.

My scale says I'm in a new decade, but of course, I cannot claim it until Sunday, LOLOL! So, we'll see if it holds.

Have a great day everyone!! Love and hugs!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #190
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Well I started lc along with my juddding. And I found my dds are a little easier.
I still eat between 2pm and 7pm and it seems to help my boby knows when its
time to eat it seems.

dd for me today
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

Leo I use to work with this girl that was very over weight and she had
asthma. I told her about juddd and offered my book to her. I told her about
the asthma study. She wouldn't even look at the book.
I don't nothing more about her she has moved to Michigan. But I wonder
sometimes.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
My UD was not too bad yesterday...but there changes that has to be made...i ate too much i think...1,581 which was a whooping 242 carbs incl...... just the ciabatta i had in the morning with 1 egg...68 carbs.....got to start paying more attention to my carbs....too many carbs for a person who's pre-diabetic....

I stayed at the same weight which i was fortunate but i did walk 6 miles in my day...

DD for me today...

Laura...and Leisa...hope your situation improves soon...
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Well I started lc along with my juddding. And I found my dds are a little easier.
I still eat between 2pm and 7pm and it seems to help my boby knows when its
time to eat it seems.

dd for me today
I have been thinking alot this week about going back to low carb... Or at least most days....I still want one day every other week to spend with hubby and not have to count anything. Its our date night.

Its like I know that sugar is a trigger yet I am trying to figure a way for it to work and thus stuggling on Up days. I feel stupid!! I should just eliminate it all together.

RL We took a cotton ball every night for about 2weeks and placed avc on the cotton ball and put a band aid on. Thats it! In the morning it came off. It was gone in about 2weeks.

Please let us know how she does at the docters office...

Leisa Hugs!! I hope u feel better soon

Last edited by JKat; 02-09-2011 at 09:09 AM..
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Dasiey Do u open your Down day at 2pm also?? Do u restrict your calories on your Up day??
Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #195
Senior LCF member

Jodi-
I've found that by staying low carb (20g or less) for as long as I have (several years), my insulin response to carbs is much, much better. The weight loss may have helped as well. So I can have some carbs when out to dinner occasionally without problems.

On Tuesday, I had a banana in my protein shake after working out without any hunger later on. Normally any fruit would drive me to eat, eat, and eat more because sugar is a big trigger for me.

That said, I have no plans to increase carbs substantially. I'm just taking it a little at a time. For example, I'm planning on having liver and onions for dinner tomorrow. Since onions are a relatively high carb vegetable, I won't 'add' anything else carby that day.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #196
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Dasiey Do u open your Down day at 2pm also?? Do u restrict your calories on your Up day??
Yes I do not go over 1700 calories. and yes on the 2 pm.

I was thinking on your date night. Just have one meal with hubby and just eat and when your done go back on plan. And try to be done eating in one hour. In other words start and finish that meal in one hour and maybe your body won't notice.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
SoHappy-
This IS an induction phase with JUDDD--the two weeks that Dr. J insists that everyone eat 500 cal or fewer. The DD calorie level then reverts to whatever the calculator gives the person. There are some very large people whose DD number may be higher than 500, but everyone is instructed to do 500 or less for those initial two weeks.

The good thing is that if person's DD level is substantially lower (e.g., mine is currently 350), then it's a little easier to go lower from 500 than to just try to begin at 350, at least that's what I found out when my first DD calculator number was 430. After doing that for a year, I checked, and my number was 350 because of the weight I'd lost. It was relatively easy to drop from 430 to 350, so it's nice the way this program is arranged.
Oh, that's good. Thanks. And stair-stepping down to the lower calorie levels would be somewhat easier that way for sure! I've been amazed at how much you get used to eating so few calories on the DDs and have little appetite beyond.

I allow myself up to the 500, but if I'm near the end of my day and am only up to 380 or 430 calories, then sometimes that's where I finish my DD.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Morning lovely JUDDDers~~

Today is a DD, YAY!! I love my DDs!!!!!!!!!!!

Taking The Princess to the dr for a breathing test since her asthma is still flared. (Haven't had time to work on getting for dietary changes).

No exercise for me today, as I am very sore from my little workouts all this week. I AM however, thinking about doing some Callanetics, which is basically stretching and holding. I think that would be good to do on my DDs.

My scale says I'm in a new decade, but of course, I cannot claim it until Sunday, LOLOL! So, we'll see if it holds.

Have a great day everyone!! Love and hugs!
Yay! I know your new weight will hold!

Hope your little daughter gets something that will make her feel better and be able to breath better. Poor little sweetheart.

And I'd think Callanetics might be perfect for DD exercise. A great way to strengthen core muscles without a great deal of exertion.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
SoHappy...that's exactly what i do on those DD...Calanetics....it's not too exerting and i feel i'm doing some kind of exercise...and on UD i do 4-5 miles with Leslie's walking program...

Daisey...do you mean that on DD ...you eat only between 2 pm till 7 pm...wow aren't you hungry in the morning...or maybe also all the food we had the day before will subtain us till 2;00....i'll have to try that on my next DD which it's going to be on friday.

mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/161.8/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Hi everyone, I'm just starting to look into this diet. Just wondering if this works very well for someone who is hypothyroid? Also is the weightloss very steady on this woe? Currently I'm doing lowcarb, the last three weeks I've only lost 1.5 lbs, better than a gain I know, but I would like to try and speed things up a bit. Do you think I need to read the book? I've looked over the JUDDD website and think I've got the basics down.

I'm thinking about doing this diet with my low carb woe.

Thanks
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Leo....I am going to try a week of cutting out the higher carb choices. Do u eat a fat diet also?? I also plan on going back to ****** for a while. I think being in the hospital has really sent me off a bit.

Dasiey...Ya know that may be a good plan...Next date night or family night maybe I will do a window like fast 5. Thanks for the suggestion..I will let u know how it works out.

Goose welcome...Leo is an expert when it comes to slow metabolism. I am sure she will pop in and give u some great advice...She has done amazing!!

Last edited by JKat; 02-09-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #202
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
SoHappy...that's exactly what i do on those DD...Calanetics....it's not too exerting and i feel i'm doing some kind of exercise...and on UD i do 4-5 miles with Leslie's walking program...

Daisey...do you mean that on DD ...you eat only between 2 pm till 7 pm...wow aren't you hungry in the morning...or maybe also all the food we had the day before will subtain us till 2;00....i'll have to try that on my next DD which it's going to be on friday.

At frist it was kinda hard but I got use to it.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #203
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Leo....I am going to try a week of cutting out the higher carb choices. Do u eat a fat diet also?? I also plan on going back to ****** for a while. I think being in the hospital has really sent me off a bit.

Dasiey...Ya know that may be a good plan...Next date night or family night maybe I will do a window like fast 5. Thanks for the suggestion..I will let u know how it works out.

Goose welcome...Leo is an expert when it comes to slow metabolism. I am sure she will pop in and give u some great advice...She has done amazing!!
Jodi thats how I do it and it seems to work for me.
Good luck
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi.
I been reading the Judd book. I just wrote an email to the Judds web site for more tips and about Taking Reseratrol.< Was taking off and on{More off but going to start again.
Im losing slow to none.{ last 4 weeks..Now, If I start over .Do I just fast on my ddsfor 2 weeks? The way Im understanding . fasting is, best wayto get started?Do I just do a shake or v8 juice? No soild food?
Yestrday was a dd and I lost 1lb..
Does it help to lower carbs and how many?
kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #205
Senior LCF member

Hi Goose-Welcome.
I'm hypothyroid, and I've been doing JUDDD for more than 2 years now, and my endo loves this plan. Because of my age (69) and the thyroid, I have an extremely slow metabolism. My endo agreed that I could not lose unless I ate <1000 cal a day, but trying to do that consistently on a daily basis was much too difficult. So basically JUDDD is GOOD for hypothyroids because it enables me to restrict calories the way I need to more easily.

I haven't lost 'fast' but I have lost consistently with this program. However, we're all different, and you may want to ask your doctor about this if you have doubts.

Jodi- What do you mean by a 'fat diet'? If you're asking whether I eat the high fat that a lot of low carbers insist is necessary, I don't. On DDs, I eat hardly any fat--too caloric! But even on UDs, I may use some olive oil on my veggies, some butter to cook my omelet, but not much more. I eat fatty fish like salmon and tuna, but my red meat is grass-fed bison, which is leaner than beef My big indulgence is almond butter, but I try to ration that so as not to overdo.

I feel much better on moderate fat, and I've read that many 'older women' are better off this way. Would I lose faster if I ate more fat? I have no idea, but now that I'm maintaining, I don't worry about that.

Kind-Where did you get the idea that you need to fast on DDs? If you try to be more strict than the program asks, I find that usually backfires and people too easily go off plan or give up. Trying to speed things up is always, IMO, counter productive. To begin JUDDD, you're supposed to have DDs of no more than 500 cal for two weeks.

What number does the calculator give you for your DDs long term? When I began, my DD cal were supposed to be 430, so that's what I used from the beginning. You can eat or drink anything you want--so long as you are absolutely sure of the calorie count. JUDDD doesn't dictate foods--it is purely a program of calorie cycling.

Last edited by Leo41; 02-09-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
Leisa!
I'm just now seeing this. I'm so sorry! I will be praying for you.
Can I do anything, bring you a JUDDD meal? Or a meal for the fam? Or do some laundry? Please let me know how I can help!!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/161.8/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Thank you Leo for getting back to me. I think I may try this out in a couple of weeks when my husband goes out of town. In the meantime I can try and figure out what would be good for me to eat on the DD, UP days will be easy of course. How long did it take you to get to goal?
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Leo.
On page 244.Q.How low to go on dd.
A. To maxium the response that lowers the oxidative stress and so on.Eating nothing every other day is probaly most effecive. But most can not do so.
{ I can }. that is were i got that fasting is better or as low as u can on calaries for that day.
Just wondering out loud. Sorry, if some times I;m wrong in my thinking.
kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #209
Blabbermouth!!!

Kind you are not wrong. thats what the book says. But as it says most people can not do this.So Dr. J says 500 cals. or less is like fasting. your body sees it as a fast.
A while back alot of people did this most of them are gone now.
He says you can sip shakes if you like. Just stay under 500 calories.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #210
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh and I am doing it Lc now its helped me alot.