Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi, Gaetane! Yes, some days are tough one, that's for sure! I don't know why that happens, but somebody posted something like this... which I thought was a good encouragement to stick closely to your diet:

On days when you are especially hungry, that is a sign that your body is getting ready to shed some weight that it really wants to hold on to.

And your brain is trying to get you to eat some more calories so that it doesn't have to use that fat for energy... it wants to keep the fat, but will have to use it if you don't cave in and eat food instead. So your brain is trying to goad you into eating. And this often is what's happening when we get to our 'low set-point' and our brain wants to keep us there.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it sounds like it could be. It helps keep me going sometimes when the 'hungries' are crying in my brain! And you know what? There is very often a nice little weight loss shortly after that if I can resist and just keep my eating and my calories where they need to be.

Maybe just sit down with a hot cup of coffee or tea or broth and really plan out what your meals are going to be and what the calorie/carb levels of those foods will come to, and figure it out so that you seem to have quite a bit of food in that calorie amount to fill your tummy, or whatever foods help you the most.

Good luck! Hang in there. And just keep that mental picture in your mind of how lovely and healthy your new slim body is going to be this spring!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #482
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Gaets- I know you have 145 listed as 'goal,' but at your height and age, perhaps your body is trying to tell you that 153 is where it's more comfortable. I say this only because I once dieted to the 'charts,' and I looked and felt terrible and could not maintain that weight for more than a week. My body really wanted to be 10 lbs higher--and I looked and felt better at that weight.

My other 'bad news' is my discovery that maintenance is just about the same as weight loss! So in 'pushing' yourself to get to goal, you have to consider whether you'll be able to maintain that weight, too.

That is, I really can't add in too many calories if I want to stay at this weight. I've increased my green vegetables (carbs) but not my overall calorie count by very much at all. Today is an UD for me, yet I feel somewhat constrained because it doesn't take much food to get to my calorie limit. I'm finding that I need a way to add a 'treat' or two in there in order to avoid burn out because this WOE is for life.

I have my unsweetened baking chocolate, and sometimes I buy almond butter, and both of them serve as an occasional 'treat' for me. It's easy to count calories with both of them.

I'm going on a short cruise next month, so that will provide some break in my food routine, and on the past few vacations, I've managed to eat well and not gain (even lose sometimes), so I think this will be a good change for me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I'm finding that I need a way to add a 'treat' or two in there in order to avoid burn out because this WOE is for life.

I have my unsweetened baking chocolate, and sometimes I buy almond butter, and both of them serve as an occasional 'treat' for me. It's easy to count calories with both of them.

I'm going on a short cruise next month, so that will provide some break in my food routine, and on the past few vacations, I've managed to eat well and not gain (even lose sometimes), so I think this will be a good change for me.
Leo, your cruise will be a wonderful break in the routine. Have a wonderful time. I expect you'll do really well too, and as you stated, the change in foods will be a lot of fun to experience.

Can you tolerate the chocolate almond milk and some sweetener of some kind? Perhaps you could try a glucomannan pudding for a treat sometime. That is really popular around here these days.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #484
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
You have to work in a restaurant on your Down Days??? That would be difficult indeed and take a great deal of resolve to deal with successfully. I applaud you!!!!!

I enjoy using my low calorie bread some too, both on DDs sometimes, and also sometimes on UDs if I'm wanting bread. But it's just plain store-bought low calorie bread. Certainly nothing special. I've never seen your Julian Bakery bread. Maybe I would find it in a health food store? Is it especially healthful? I'll look for it and buy a loaf if I find it.
Yep! An Italian Restaurant (chain)! Not a big deal usually, I'm so busy but sometimes it's a nail biter.

The bread that I get can be found online just google Julian Bakery low carb bread, but it's also sold in a Harvest Market about 10 miles from me. It only has 1 carb per slice (lots of fiber) and I was using it in the beginning of my JUDDD experience and was having much better weight loss, probably from eating mostly low carb. Sorry for all of the food talk if your on a DD.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
The bread that I get can be found online just google Julian Bakery low carb bread, but it's also sold in a Harvest Market about 10 miles from me. It only has 1 carb per slice (lots of fiber) and I was using it in the beginning of my JUDDD experience and was having much better weight loss, probably from eating mostly low carb.
One carb per slice is amazing! Could you post the calories per slice?

I'll look into it online, although I expect the cost of shipping it added to the initial cost of the bread might make that way of getting it just too expensive. Thanks for the info though.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #486
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Will do! and yes it's expensive, so I'm glad I can go get it instead of having it shipped. I'll post cals when I get back.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #487
Senior LCF member

SoHappy-
No, I don't do any sweeteners at all (which is why I have baking chocolate). Those treats are enough for me. I also don't want to add much because just the added green veggies have stimulated my hunger more than I like. I'm extremely carb sensitive.

I think the problem right now is that a few weeks back I had a 'craving' for something 'muffiny,' so I bought some coconut flour and made the one-minute muffin, relying on just the slight sweetness in the flour and some cinnemon to give it enough taste. It did, but I found that the 'muffin' (I think my body assumes it's the real thing) was a terrible trigger food for me, and I wound up eating a couple of them instead of a normal dinner!

Because of that I cut out all 'treats' until I just bought some baking chocolate yesterday, and that may be why I just got 'depressed.' It's realizing that my food issues didn't go away with the weight that is so depressing, but I've always said that my motto is "Eternal vigilance is the price of maintenance." I just don't like discovering that it's true
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #488

Quote:
SoHappy-
No, I don't do any sweeteners at all (which is why I have baking chocolate). Those treats are enough for me. I also don't want to add much because just the added green veggies have stimulated my hunger more than I like. I'm extremely carb sensitive.

I think the problem right now is that a few weeks back I had a 'craving' for something 'muffiny,' so I bought some coconut flour and made the one-minute muffin, relying on just the slight sweetness in the flour and some cinnemon to give it enough taste. It did, but I found that the 'muffin' (I think my body assumes it's the real thing) was a terrible trigger food for me, and I wound up eating a couple of them instead of a normal dinner!

Because of that I cut out all 'treats' until I just bought some baking chocolate yesterday, and that may be why I just got 'depressed.' It's realizing that my food issues didn't go away with the weight that is so depressing, but I've always said that my motto is "Eternal vigilance is the price of maintenance." I just don't like discovering that it's true
I'm sorry, and I think that stinks! But I do applaud you for absolutely knowing yourself, accepting what is, and clamping down on it before you find yourself whirled away from your hold on your maintenance and having to face a much harder battle.

I think the hardest thing for many of us to come to terms with and finally accept the reality and truth of is.. the seeming unfairness of it. Lady A will gain weight if she allows herself to eat over X number of calories, and yet Lady B can eat twice that number and remain slim. Not fair! LOL

And, of course, fairness just doesn't have any bearing on it at all. For each of us, *it just is what it is*.. based on what makes each of us the individuals we are.

Another thing that wasn't fair is that I didn't get to look like Marilyn Monroe. Well, I've had to come to terms with that too.

Continued good luck with your maintenance lifestyle. I appreciate reading of your trials and then your ability to deal with something that could have caused a problem but was nipped in the bud before any real harm occurred. We all balance our choices against our wants and wishes and our reality. Anything we can learn from the experiences of others is perhaps a battle that we won't have to fight in our own futures.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
SoHappy-

I'm new to JUDDD.

I share your thoughts about food issues, having reached "goal" twice with a LC way of life and slipping away, because of those issues.

I was HOPING that JUDDD, with the promise of a DD just tomorrow might be the answer for me, at least when I reach goal again. Notice I said when not if.

Anyone out there. . .any thoughts on DD's being the answer?

Please note: I only have 7 DD's under my belt. I certainly look forward to many many more DD's in the 500 cal and less range before I reach goal.

I don't know what to expect! Isn't that exciting? But staying LC all the time and surviving and not even dreading DD's so far is working.

only my 2nd post here--but I lurk. . .
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I'm new to JUDDD.

I share your thoughts about food issues, having reached "goal" twice with a LC way of life and slipping away, because of those issues.

I was HOPING that JUDDD, with the promise of a DD just tomorrow might be the answer for me, at least when I reach goal again. Notice I said when not if.

Anyone out there. . .any thoughts on DD's being the answer?

Please note: I only have 7 DD's under my belt. I certainly look forward to many many more DD's in the 500 cal and less range before I reach goal.

I don't know what to expect! Isn't that exciting? But staying LC all the time and surviving and not even dreading DD's so far is working.

only my 2nd post here--but I lurk. . .
Post often, MM! This is a friendly group, all struggling at our own levels and fighting our own demons, LOL, but encouraging each other and happy for all our various little successes along the way.

You could just naturally focus solely on the DDs as the entire key to JUDDD, but your UDs are so very important too. If you overdo on them, you can wipe out all the value of the DD you just brought yourself through successfully.

And many find it somewhat easier to be successful on a DD, despite the low calories (and hunger pangs sometimes) just because it requires such careful planning and calorie tracking. But failure to plan and be aware of your UD calories sometimes turns out to be the harder part of this plan for some. Going with the idea that *you can eat anything you want on UDs* can often be mistaken for *you can eat as much as you want of anything you want on UDs*. And that'll usually cause this plan to fail for you.

Most here follow low carb eating as well as count their calories. Me, not so much. That is not to be misconstrued that I eat high carb, just more veggies and fruits and some sweets than others here. I guess we all just choose the foods that make us feel the best, the happiest, keep everything moving along as we would hope for, etc. But, boy, do I ever count calories. I think low carb in conjunction with calorie counting to keep you at the level that is best for you gives the fastest results as to weight loss.

I'll bet you do wonderfully with this plan! I do hope you will come in here and post with us often!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sweetpea49
Stats: 228.5/165/150 Restart 10/12/10 207.5/166.0/165.0
WOE: 17 Day Diet--Cycle 4 Maintenance
Start Date: 1/27/03
Quote:
Gaets- I know you have 145 listed as 'goal,' but at your height and age, perhaps your body is trying to tell you that 153 is where it's more comfortable. I say this only because I once dieted to the 'charts,' and I looked and felt terrible and could not maintain that weight for more than a week. My body really wanted to be 10 lbs higher--and I looked and felt better at that weight.

My other 'bad news' is my discovery that maintenance is just about the same as weight loss! So in 'pushing' yourself to get to goal, you have to consider whether you'll be able to maintain that weight, too.

That is, I really can't add in too many calories if I want to stay at this weight. I've increased my green vegetables (carbs) but not my overall calorie count by very much at all. Today is an UD for me, yet I feel somewhat constrained because it doesn't take much food to get to my calorie limit. I'm finding that I need a way to add a 'treat' or two in there in order to avoid burn out because this WOE is for life.

Figuring out what/when to call goal is, I think, listening to your body. Last time I couldn't get below 165, and fluctuated between 165-167 for a long time. I got down to 163 for a hot NY minute and never saw it again. The ****** charts for my height say I should weigh between 128-150, but I know that's not possible and I won't look good at even that upper weight. I am 57 yo and 5'6" with my weight mostly distributed evenly across my body. So at 180, I wear a size 12, and at goal, I was wearing an 8-10. I recently saw my endocrinologist and he said aim for 160, but 165 was fine.

Leo--enjoy your cruise. We are cruising in November.
12/31/2010 188.0
1/31/2011 185.0
2/28/2011 181.0
3/31/2011 179.0
4/30/2011 171.0
5/31/2011 176.5 (2 weeks of vacation!)
6/30-7/31/2011 166.5/167.0 (Maintenance!)
sweetpea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #492
Senior LCF member

Magnamater- I lost the last half of my weight on JUDDD, and I think it will be the key to maintenance for me. I have to keep my calories so low (even with low carb) that DDs are perfect for allowing me to eat a little higher on UDs and generally avoid frustration.

Sweetpea- I'll have another cruise before November, but I have to explain my hedonist lifestyle:-)

When my niece was 10 (she's 18 now), she desperately wanted to go on a Disney cruise because her best friend had done that. I was reluctant, but my sister (her mother) and I agreed as a treat for her. We discovered that we LOVED cruising, and I've been on about 8 other cruises since that time.

My niece became a Disney cruise fanatic, and now they have a new ship (the Dream) that she's eager to experience, so I booked just a 4-day on her spring break (she's a college freshman). That's next month.

A few weeks ago, I was searching for something to do for my birthday in August because I'll be 70, and I consider that a milestone. When I was 65, we did the Alaska cruise, perfect for August, but there's really no other place that's 'guaranteed' to be cool in August--even Canada--so instead, we're taking a cruise from NJ (we live in NY) to Bermuda. It won't be any hotter than NY--and a lot more pleasant. This will be my first time on Celebrity, but my travel agent says I'll like it.

Since I'm retired, I know I should be more careful with money, but since in this economy, it doesn't earn much in the bank, why not spend it

Last edited by Leo41; 02-24-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.0/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Leo...The problem with me is that i don't eat as heathly as i should...i'm a salt fanatic...potato chips,crispers,rice cakes,mixed nuts etc.....i have to have my salty treats everyday...and i do manage to put some in...vegetables and fruits,i do struggle with...that's probably why i did get colon cancer in 2003..i don't have enough fibers in my diet.....and if i would eat more of it,i know i would lose more weight...mind you i've been doing good since i started this way of eating...but i've got to push myself more

I was at one time 119lbs...then i really looked sick..people thought i was dying or something...and then in 2008 was at 145 ...and i like and felt great about it not only clothes wise but health wise also...

I've got to put my mind at it more ...if i want the weight off ...i know i can do it...but it takes dedication to want it badly enough...but then like you say will the weight stay off...that's another story...

And another thing i think i don't eat enough b/c of all the exercise i do put in my day...like yesterday...i walk/jog 3 miles and i did 1 hour of strenght training...and i was on my DD so of course you would think i would be hungry and i was...

I quess we all struggle in different ways and as long as we know what our demons are ...there's always that chance that we might just make it....

Thanks Leo and SoHappy and Sweetpea...liked to read all your inputs...

~~~GAETS~~~

Last edited by mommy_gates; 02-24-2011 at 11:36 AM..
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #494
Senior LCF member

Gaets- You know it's recommended not to work out on a DD, don't you? And that was a LOT to do! Did you eat more to compensate? If so, you may be negating the value of JUDDD. Surely you don't need to work out like that every day? I've always been advised to exercise on alternate days, anyway, so that fits in with my UDs perfectly.

As to eating healthily, the salt isn't the problem that the potato chips and nuts are. Can you be satisfied with some very salty celery?

As I lost weight, I got much more interested in the health aspects of my WOE, partially because there's diabetes in my family, and I was trying to avoid it. Then I became aware of a problem with grains, and before I knew it, I was eating 'primal'--just fish, meat, eggs, veggies--and my occasional treats of almond butter or baking chocolate. And I've never felt better in my life. That's what actually keeps me eating this way. Not only do I feel great, but my lab reports are excellent as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #495
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks for the warm welcomes, Leo and SoHappy!

Yes, you are absolutely right about calories on the up days.

So far (and this doesn't mean it will always be that way) I haven't wanted to eat to the very top of my calorie range, assuming it is correct and not too high.

Somehow, knowing tomorrow will be either a day when I can have a little more or tomorrow I will be "lean" keeps me on a steadier course.

Most of it is between the ears, I guess. Will see over the months--I see this as a lifetime approach.

Thanks!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
SoHappy-

Leo, I can only offer you my hugs and prayers!! But they are both heartfelt.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #497
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I'm new to JUDDD.
WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME!!

Please de-lurk more often and let us get to know you!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #498
Senior LCF member

magnamater- Do you know that the UD calories you get from the JUDDD calculator are irrelevant? Dr. J admits as much, and I really don't know why he included them. Mine were much too high; if I ate at that level, I'd gain!

Just eat what you think you should. You probably have some idea of the calorie level you need to lose--and that should be the average of your DD/UD.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #499
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I'll have another cruise before November, but I have to explain my hedonist lifestyle:-)

When my niece was 10 (she's 18 now), she desperately wanted to go on a Disney cruise because her best friend had done that. I was reluctant, but my sister (her mother) and I agreed as a treat for her. We discovered that we LOVED cruising, and I've been on about 8 other cruises since that time.

My niece became a Disney cruise fanatic, and now they have a new ship (the Dream) that she's eager to experience, so I booked just a 4-day on her spring break (she's a college freshman). That's next month.

A few weeks ago, I was searching for something to do for my birthday in August because I'll be 70, and I consider that a milestone. When I was 65, we did the Alaska cruise, perfect for August, but there's really no other place that's 'guaranteed' to be cool in August--even Canada--so instead, we're taking a cruise from NJ (we live in NY) to Bermuda. It won't be any hotter than NY--and a lot more pleasant. This will be my first time on Celebrity, but my travel agent says I'll like it.

Since I'm retired, I know I should be more careful with money, but since in this economy, it doesn't earn much in the bank, why not spend it
Leo, that is SO cool!!!! I hope you have a great time!! Happy almost 70th birthday!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #500
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Hello all,

I have been hit with a very special kind of crud that has had me feeling like horrid since the weekend. Thought it was allergies but it's now settled in my chest. My sinuses are killing me and there just isn't enough Kleenex in the world it seems. It is all I can do to get to work then back home to my heating pad and blankets. ACK!

You all have been very busy! I am going to read back and see what I've missed.

Laura
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #501

Oh, Laura. I'm so sorry to hear you are sick with this. I think something is certainly going around because so many people are reporting this. I hope you are over this shortly!!! I'm surprised you are even going into work. Well, stay warm. I don't know whether that really helps any, but at least it keeps the chills at bay and eases sore muscles.

So are you able to eat? I know you need to take in plenty of fluids. Hope you feel better by tomorrow evening so you at least can have a decent weekend!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asia12mb
Stats: 225/169.4(sw after load)/135-140
WOE: hhcg
Hey everyone!

I have a question about this way of eating/diet. I have a friend that is about to start this program. I'm familiar with it and I know that it is a form of calorie restriction. She wants me to join her, but I'm skeptical. I browsed thru some of the past threads and I'm getting mixed information on the calorie intake. I went to the Up Day Down Day website and put in my stats for working out around 3 days a week and came up with 500 for my DD and 2000 for my UD. Now compared to some of you this seems a little high. Does this sound correct? I don't want to eat too low, because I will be exercising at least the 3 days. I know I don't have a lot to lose, but I don't want to sabotage myself by going too low. I did the figures and it averages to around 1200-1300 per day. And what losses can I expect on this program? The program sounds good, but I'm just a little timid.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
asia12mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by asia12mb View Post
Hey everyone!

I have a question about this way of eating/diet. I have a friend that is about to start this program. I'm familiar with it and I know that it is a form of calorie restriction. She wants me to join her, but I'm skeptical. I browsed thru some of the past threads and I'm getting mixed information on the calorie intake. I went to the Up Day Down Day website and put in my stats for working out around 3 days a week and came up with 500 for my DD and 2000 for my UD. Now compared to some of you this seems a little high. Does this sound correct? I don't want to eat too low, because I will be exercising at least the 3 days. I know I don't have a lot to lose, but I don't want to sabotage myself by going too low. I did the figures and it averages to around 1200-1300 per day. And what losses can I expect on this program? The program sounds good, but I'm just a little timid.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
Questions are no problem, and best to have a pretty fair understanding of it before diving in. But even if you start, it isn't a prison term, so if you hate it, you can go on to something else. This isn't for everyone because, frankly, sometimes it's hard to limit the amount of calories on Down Days, and for some folks, it's hard not to eat out of control on the Up Days. But I'll bet you do fabulously!

Number One: Most of us think the JUDDD diet site figures your daily calories way too high! If I were you, I'd plug the info into several different sites and see what the average of most of them turns out to be. And... you can always adjust that calorie level up or down as time goes by, once you see how it is working for you. If you aren't losing weight, you're probably eating at a 'too high' calorie level, because when you average much of anything with the lows of the Down Days, that ends up being in good weight loss range. But why go 'too' high on your Up Days and then make that average any higher than it has to be. All you really need is to be pretty fair and true in figuring your Up Days, and the rest will undoubtedly work.

As to what losses you can expect on JUDDD, nobody will remotely be able to tell you that. Not for any diet plan at all. Some people just plainly lose weight at a much faster rate than others. Two people of the same size can eat the same diet and one will outstrip the other in the race to lose weight. So much comes into play. How old are you? Any symptoms yet of peri-menopause? How much do you weigh right now? How tall are you? Have you been on diets before? Fast or slow weight loss on them? Did you follow the diet plan exactly, or did you cheat? Do you have any low thyroid symptoms? Are you on thyroid meds? Birth Control pills? Any other meds? I'm not really fishing for answers to these questions of you.. just showing you how much can come into play as it regards who might be able to lose fast and who might lose at the pace of a snail!

But I will tell you one thing about this diet. It's wonderful to only have to 'diet' every other day and then be able to relax and eat normally after the Down Days! I love being able to eat pretty much anything I want on my Up Days, although I rarely go crazy because I do respect my calorie allowance and adhere to it pretty closely. Most here eat a low carb JUDDD program. I am probably the one who eats at the highest carb level, which is only up to a medium carb range anyway. LOL

If you read at the JUDDD site, that is really about all you need to know. And if you research any of the studies done on calorie restriction, you will soon come to realize that it is an exceedingly healthy way to eat! It literally and truly is believed to extend life in humans as well as it does in the other species in the studies! It's amazing, and I've never felt better.

Last edited by SoHappy; 02-24-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asia12mb
Stats: 225/169.4(sw after load)/135-140
WOE: hhcg
Quote:
Questions are no problem, and best to have a pretty fair understanding of it before diving in. But even if you start, it isn't a prison term, so if you hate it, you can go on to something else. This isn't for everyone because, frankly, sometimes it's hard to limit the amount of calories on Down Days, and for some folks, it's hard not to eat out of control on the Up Days. But I'll bet you do fabulously!

Number One: Most of us think the JUDDD diet site figures your daily calories way too high! If I were you, I'd plug the info into several different sites and see what the average of most of them turns out to be. And... you can always adjust that calorie level up or down as time goes by, once you see how it is working for you. If you aren't losing weight, you're probably eating at a 'too high' calorie level, because when you average much of anything with the lows of the Down Days, that ends up being in good weight loss range. But why go 'too' high on your Up Days and then make that average any higher than it has to be. All you really need is to be pretty fair and true in figuring your Up Days, and the rest will undoubtedly work.

As to what losses you can expect on JUDDD, nobody will remotely be able to tell you that. Not for any diet plan at all. Some people just plainly lose weight at a much faster rate than others. Two people of the same size can eat the same diet and one will outstrip the other in the race to lose weight. So much comes into play. How old are you? Any symptoms yet of peri-menopause? How much do you weigh right now? How tall are you? Have you been on diets before? Fast or slow weight loss on them? Did you follow the diet plan exactly, or did you cheat? Do you have any low thyroid symptoms? Are you on thyroid meds? Birth Control pills? Any other meds? I'm not really fishing for answers to these questions of you.. just showing you how much can come into play as it regards who might be able to lose fast and who might lose at the pace of a snail!

But I will tell you one thing about this diet. It's wonderful to only have to 'diet' every other day and then be able to relax and eat normally after the Down Days! I love being able to eat pretty much anything I want on my Up Days, although I rarely go crazy because I do respect my calorie allowance and adhere to it pretty closely. Most here eat a low carb JUDDD program. I am probably the one who eats at the highest carb level, which is only up to a medium carb range anyway. LOL

If you read at the JUDDD site, that is really about all you need to know. And if you research any of the studies done on calorie restriction, you will soon come to realize that it is an exceedingly healthy way to eat! It literally and truly is believed to extend life in humans as well as it does in the other species in the studies! It's amazing, and I've never felt better.
Thanks for the response! Someone also mentioned I should check other calculators online. I think I will do that and see what the average is. I'm glad to see you did well on this program. I'm going to seriously think about joining my friend.
asia12mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #505
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
One carb per slice is amazing! Could you post the calories per slice?

I'll look into it online, although I expect the cost of shipping it added to the initial cost of the bread might make that way of getting it just too expensive. Thanks for the info though.
109 calories per slice
1 net carb
12 gms protein

They were out!! I now have to wait until next Tues! Bah!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
109 calories per slice
1 net carb
12 gms protein

They were out!! I now have to wait until next Tues! Bah!
Thank you so much for posting the calories. Way more calories than the low-calorie bread, so I probably wouldn't eat any on my DDs, but I expect it is a delicious bread for UDs.

Sorry YOU won't be tasting any for a few days! It would probably freeze well though.. most bread does. Maybe you'll have to always keep a loaf frozen for those emergency times when you can't find it around. And just the fact that it was out when you went to buy some today makes me think it must be pretty darned good bread!

Thanks again! I appreciate it!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #507
Senior LCF member

asia- Using online calculators to determine how many calories you should eat is a problem for me, and it may be for you as well. Everyone is different.

In terms of JUDDD, the important number is the DD. Since you're just starting this, your DDs for the first two weeks have to be 500 or less. I'm surprised that you got 500 from the calculator because that seems high for your weight (from my experience), but it's good to start with 500 anyway.

The UD number is just an approximation, and many of us find the UD number too high. You might begin with that, and if you feel satisfied with less food, just adjust accordingly. After a couple of weeks, you can decide what's best for you on UDs.

As SoHappy mentioned, no one can predict your weight loss on any plan. That's entirely individual. Most of us came to this plan for a variety of different reasons, but JUDDD isn't the 'answer' for everyone. You have to decide for yourself if it's the right plan for you.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Good morning everyone and welcome any newcomers. My girls are almost totally recovered from their bout with the terrible flu monster that was making its rounds. I, though, have been dealing with some monster headaches, I think partly hormone related and possible allergy related. I'm trying to take steps to avoid a sinus infection (doing my sinus rinse religiously) and also avoiding hormone weirdness by going back on the progesterone cream and taking a supplement I got from the health food store.

Diet-wise, I've discovered something about myself. I need to grow up. Seriously, I feel like such a baby. I can be going along smoothly losing weight; following my ud's and dd's to the letter and then something stressful happens in my life and I turn into a baby and go for my pacifier....food. I am totally an emotional eater and there is no way to avoid stress, so I simply HAVE to find another way to deal with my stress other than food. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I know that when I was exercising regularly, it helped tremendously with stress so that is one thing that I need to do. Now that the weather is nice my friend and I plan to walk. In fact that is what caused most of my stress over the last two days though. We have a very nice walking trail (paved) through town that many people use to walk, ride bikes, run, etc. My friend who is new to town had never been on it so I took he there Wednesday to walk. We had my 3 girls and her daughter with us. My youngest decided to bring her bike since she is taking the longest to regain her strength from the flu. To make a long story short, she was a little ahead of us because she was on her bike and decided to get off her bike to wait on us. My oldest was jogging so not far behind her, but a man stepped out of the woods toward her and just then saw my oldest coming up the trail and turned and ran back into the woods. We called the police but they were unable to find him. We were shaken. We don't know his intent but his reaction to my oldest surprising him was extremely suspicious. My daughter was not at all hesitant to say he was coming straight at her. He was only about 3 feet away when he turned around and ran, so he could have literally reached out and grabbed her from that distance. It didn't really hit me until yesterday but I was in a real funk all day and I'm afraid I ate myself into oblivion. I cried and cried but not until yesterday when it really sunk in. I also had some other stress that added to my funk but that's mostly been resolved now.

I know I can not treat my body this way. I was literally sick from the junk I ate and also afraid of what I had done to my body.

I think the positive of this is that I have learned that I need to grow up. I need to learn that food is not my pacifier and that I need to find more productive ways to deal with my stress. Eating actually adds to my stress. Besides the fact that I just feel horrible about myself, it makes me physically feel awful which is stressful. With not much weight to lose I should be at maintenance so many times by now and yet I sabatogue myself over and over. So I wanted to put it out here publicly that I am pulling up my big girl panties and trudging forward. But I'm keeping a closer eye on my girls while I trudge!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 AM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
Hello all,

I have been hit with a very special kind of crud that has had me feeling like horrid since the weekend. Thought it was allergies but it's now settled in my chest. My sinuses are killing me and there just isn't enough Kleenex in the world it seems. It is all I can do to get to work then back home to my heating pad and blankets. ACK!

You all have been very busy! I am going to read back and see what I've missed.

Laura

Laura, hope you're feeling better! DH has been sick here as well. Sounds like this crud is everywhere...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #510

Leisa, what a horrible and scary incident to have happen while you were all out for your walk! I truly, truly hope that the incident was completely misinterpreted, and that the man in question was NOT intent on your daughter, but am so very thankful that you are all safe and that your girls are feeling a lot more recovered from their bouts with flu. I'm glad you reported this to the police though. And use this example to show your daughters why we don't go alone when we go into these parks and trails and places where we are isolated from the view of anyone else.

And I'm proud of you making the decision to just end your reliance on eating as the way to pacify any and all your emotional needs. Maybe you can find a healthy substitute to turn to. Wouldn't it be wonderful if instead of turning to food to comfort us in times of stress we could turn to exercises! Instead of a dish of ice cream, we'd hit the floor and do crunches and push ups! Instead of grabbing the leftover mac & cheese, we'd do leg raises and curls with our hand weights. LOL One of the things I've found to do when I think I might be tempted in the evenings is to give myself a manicure or a pedicure. I can't be grabbing something to eat if I'm in the middle of one of those procedures... soaking feet, wet nail polish, etc.

I know you take good care of your family. Don't forget to take good care of you too!