Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #181
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
So if you are not losing you might lower your calories.
This week I lowered both days. on my dd I am at 450
and on my uds 1700. And next week I might lower again
if I don't see a loss..
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
SoHappy~ I'm tracking my calories today to make sure I don't go over. The BMR site said 1724 cals for me at my level of exercise. I guess that means if I want more on occasion I'm going to have to "step it up". The JUDDD site says 2250 but that seems excessive right? We'll see. I just want to get the scale to move again. Even though I've had no scale loss in three weeks I have to say, I feel thinner and I feel terrific!
Blonde with a Rose, I'm excited to see if you will experience weight loss now. Personally, I think the JUDDD site gives an extremely high allowance figure for daily calories. I'm pretty sure the number I was told would have been too high for me.

But the other sites were all pretty much the same, so I used them to do my figures. I've been losing weight, so apparently what I'm basing my daily calories on is sufficiently low for this period of weight loss.

Without having been figuring the calories you were eating, you don't really have any way to know if this new figure of 1,724 daily calories is too high, too low, or right on. But it won't be too long before the scale and measuring tape will let you know. If you go a week or two and don't see any loss, it's too high. If you start to lose again, you've probably got it figured about right.

Good luck. I'm excited for you. Let us know IMMEDIATELY the minute you see the number on your scale is lower!!!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
So if you are not losing you might lower your calories.
This week I lowered both days. on my dd I am at 450
and on my uds 1700. And next week I might lower again
if I don't see a loss..
Good luck, Dasiey. I don't know what your calorie use and needs are, but that sure looks like it should result in loss, doesn't it. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #184

Leo, your bone broth recipe with ACV and hot sauce sounds like it would be a lot like Chinese Hot and Sour Soup. Any similarity?

I always simmer the nutrients out of bones too, and I use the broth for everything from just a cup of hot broth to gravy and soup base, even sauces in casseroles. No sense in throwing all that nutritious broth out.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-25-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #185
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
SoHappy- I love Hot and Sour Soup, and this may taste a tiny bit like it. But the Chinese version is thickened with cornstarch, I think, and this is very thin.

However, if you put in mushrooms, some tiny shrimp or pieces of chicken, you might get a reasonable facsimile.

I don't bother putting anything in (except sometimes a little chopped spinach) because the flavor is somehow so appetite suppressing for so few calories that it's my DD 'bonus.'
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Good Morning Ladies (and gents, if applicable)~
Leo, Dasiey, SoHappy~ thanks for the good advice! I'm having some trouble with the tracking and I'll tell you why (no excuses, just facts) This is the first time in my life that I've attempted to count calories. I've always done low carb and when I was young and strict and skinny I was really good at counting carbs and remaining thin...now I'm kinda lost. I'm not used to thinking about calories and my DDs have made me painfully aware of how many calories I was probably taking in before JUDDD, even though I was low carbing it (and not losing any weight). I need to make a better effort at planning my meals in advance (just like on DD's) and getting a calorie count in advance. I don't have real judgment skills when it comes to this. I realize that low carbing can become very high calorie with all the added fats and cheeses etc, so I'm thinking that I should really up my veggie intake on UD's...? Does that seem like it would help keep calories down?
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Morning everyone!

Today is my DD and yesterday I made some awesome Egg Drop Soup with spinach using my homemade chicken bone broth. Soooooo goood and filling. 108 cals and 3 carbs for a 2 cup mug. YAY!

I'll be having that and my whey protein shake 200 cals 11 carbs for 8 cups

And I'll make an egg white omelet with spinach for supper.

Blonde: I hear you and I'm with you! I was lcing from Nov to Dec with a good loss, but never counted. My weight loss slowed. Then in Jan, I started JUDDD and HAD to count and input and I was SHOCKED at how many cals and carbs I was consuming on reg LC, before JUDDD! This counting has really helped me and I hope it helps you too! Hang in there!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #188
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Blonde- So many on these boards are opposed to counting calories because they lose easily with just cutting down on carbs. I did, too, when I was much, much younger.

But as we age, we simply cannot consume the same amount of food we once needed. And as you've noticed, alas, those calories add up very quickly.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #189
Blabbermouth!!!

The big shocker for me a tablespoon of mayo 100 calories.
Its very easy to overdo and mis calculate the calories.
wow I will eat light or fat free from now on.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #190

Blonde with a Rose, do you use ******? (Or some other tracking program online?) And do you weigh and measure your foods?

The reason I ask is that it is a whole lot easier to track the number of calories you are consuming if you do. And yes, it does take some time and some getting used to, but if you are doing low carb and you aren't getting anywhere, not losing anymore, then you probably are eating too much. Too much in quantity of the foods you are consuming, too many calories in those foods, and you have your calorie level right up at the top where you can maintain, but you won't lose anymore of the stored fat if you don't do something different.

If that is the case, you do finally have to cut the calories down. And if you are going to track those numbers so that you actually know how much you eat, calorie-wise, ****** is great for that. I couldn't plan and control my diet if I really had no idea of the calories I was consuming.

It's a hassle to begin with. It takes more time than I wanted to devote to entering it all into the ****** program, etc. But now, I love the program so much and depend on it a lot.

But you can do the same thing with a pencil, notebook, and calorie counting book. LOL

I just think you should know how many calories you should be eating, for weight loss, and also how many you actually are eating. Adding veggies is all well and fine, and delicious and healthful, but they will only add more calories to what you are already eating if you don't cut some of that back, and you'll only know where to make smart cuts when you know where your 'sins of too many calories' lay.

Good luck! I've been thinking that it's only towards the end of January, and there are several months yet until summer arrives. Lots of weeks toward a new slimmer figure, looking cute in fun summer outfits! That's what I'm keeping my mind on.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Blonde- So many on these boards are opposed to counting calories because they lose easily with just cutting down on carbs. I did, too, when I was much, much younger.

But as we age, we simply cannot consume the same amount of food we once needed. And as you've noticed, alas, those calories add up very quickly.
Leo, I hear that!!!

Daisey, yes the mayo was a shocker for me too! and you know, alot of my lc friends here who do list there meals and carbs eat very very little (at least it seem so to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Blonde with a Rose, do you use ******? (Or some other tracking program online?) And do you weigh and measure your foods?

The reason I ask is that it is a whole lot easier to track the number of calories you are consuming if you do. And yes, it does take some time and some getting used to, but if you are doing low carb and you aren't getting anywhere, not losing anymore, then you probably are eating too much. Too much in quantity of the foods you are consuming, too many calories in those foods, and you have your calorie level right up at the top where you can maintain, but you won't lose anymore of the stored fat if you don't do something different.

If that is the case, you do finally have to cut the calories down. And if you are going to track those numbers so that you actually know how much you eat, calorie-wise, ****** is great for that. I couldn't plan and control my diet if I really had no idea of the calories I was consuming.

It's a hassle to begin with. It takes more time than I wanted to devote to entering it all into the ****** program, etc. But now, I love the program so much and depend on it a lot.

But you can do the same thing with a pencil, notebook, and calorie counting book. LOL

I just think you should know how many calories you should be eating, for weight loss, and also how many you actually are eating. Adding veggies is all well and fine, and delicious and healthful, but they will only add more calories to what you are already eating if you don't cut some of that back, and you'll only know where to make smart cuts when you know where your 'sins of too many calories' lay.

Good luck! I've been thinking that it's only towards the end of January, and there are several months yet until summer arrives. Lots of weeks toward a new slimmer figure, looking cute in fun summer outfits! That's what I'm keeping my mind on.
SoHappy, I do have ******, installed on my computer but I never really learned how to use it. It deserves a second chance...Today I was visiting "calorie counter database" and started doing some input over there. I also visited Dotties Weight Loss Zone and got all kinds of carb/calorie counts for my favorite restaurants (for UD of course). Yes, I know veggies have calories too, I was just thinking that eating more of them would help me cut back on more calorie dense foods, and in turn lower my overall calories. This is a bit of an adjustment...I have always counted carbs. Thanks for all the great advice ladies!!

Thanks RealFoodLiving~ I'm hanging alot of hope on this, too, and hanging in there. I want to say again, that regardless of the "scale stall", I feel marvelous and will continue to tweak this until it works for me again.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #192

Blonde with a Rose, I know you'll get there. It's just quite a change in how to monitor your food intake if you've been used to just.. not.

I think for people who just naturally eat very modest portions, every meal, every day, then not having to count calories can work just fine and bring them to their goal weight. But I think there are not really too many of these people.

I think that an awful lot of low carbers find that they stall out somewhere along the way because as they've lost weight, they haven't lowered the amount they're eating to reflect the new smaller body they are feeding. They're continuing to feed it the same as they used to feed their former much bigger body.

In most cases, smaller people can't eat as many calories as larger people. Not if they want to continue to be small. And they can't eat as many calories as their former 'larger' self could either, else they'll return to being that former larger self's size!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Blonde with a Rose, I know you'll get there. It's just quite a change in how to monitor your food intake if you've been used to just.. not.

I think for people who just naturally eat very modest portions, every meal, every day, then not having to count calories can work just fine and bring them to their goal weight. But I think there are not really too many of these people.

I think that an awful lot of low carbers find that they stall out somewhere along the way because as they've lost weight, they haven't lowered the amount they're eating to reflect the new smaller body they are feeding. They're continuing to feed it the same as they used to feed their former much bigger body.

In most cases, smaller people can't eat as many calories as larger people. Not if they want to continue to be small. And they can't eat as many calories as their former 'larger' self could either, else they'll return to being that former larger self's size!
That makes perfect sense!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Eatin clean@ using the Nutri Bullet
Start Date: .Aug. 2012
Hi.
I count calaries,not carbs. I did the carb counting {Net} few years ago when I did Atkins.I think , I need healthy carbslike> lots of Veggs and low sugar fruits.and some gains but whole wheat.ect.
I try to keep my fats lowand just going to have healthy fats when I do. Like on my up days add dark>Extra virgain oliveoil,1/2T.1T. I hate Extra virgin oil but Im thinking on my uds to add to salads and that should help. I love cheese to but going to Try to slow down or stop.Also have to stop or slow down on diet pop. Last night had 1 and today had 1. I normaly have 8plus a day.
Also as it was said we need to cut down on food intake as we age.Just small steps each day becomes a longer and bigger step for us. I also need a web site to learn from and talk too. It helps so much .I read that it takes 30 days for our mind and body to get used to change.
Does carb and fat counting make a better plan then just watching calaries and portions?
My meat is chicken breast.vegg. burgers,turkery breast white meat only.and Im taking vit.B12.
also I like egg beaters and egg whites.
How much good fats are we to have a day?
Also Do u all take vitamins and do u count those too?
Thanks
Kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #195
Blabbermouth!!!

Lots of good questions Kind Sorry I can't answer them.
I do not take vitamins.
And I eat alot of the same things you do.
I still love subway.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Subway.Yes Yes Yes.I have a birthday coming next week and subway here I come. >. Maybe after birthday. have to treat self that day { My day.ha
Kind.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #197
Blabbermouth!!!

Kind of course. Your birthday should be your day.
I am freezing today.
Hows the weather up there.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Cold and more cold. snowing now.I have been cold to the bone any way. Hot bath sounds good to me right now and soup.
Big salad for me today.
Daisey did you say u read the 17 day diet book? what was that about? Just wondering. My mind does that so often.Mostly when Im doing a dd.
Stay warm my friend.
Kind{ Janet
Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #199

Good Morning, Everyone!

A DD for me today, and I don't even know what I'm going to eat yet! Right now I'm just having a mug of hot tea and getting my eyes to focus. I know this is the thread we use to talk about food, so this is probably the thread I'll be in. LOL Instead of avoiding the topic on DDs, it seems to satisfy me somehow to actually talk about food and menu ideas and everything else about food. Like talking about it helps make me not hungry or something. So this is where I'll hang out.

So, even if I don't know yet what I'll have today, what are you all going to be having for your meals?

Also, I was wondering if you eat a bit heavier on protein on UDs to compensate for perhaps not getting as much on DDs, or do you figure you are probably getting in enough anyway, to not worry about it.

Well, speaking of protein, maybe I'll eat hot dogs for lunch. I'll split a slice of the 40 cal bread, and also split one of the 40 cal hotdogs! I'll squirt in the mustard, pile in the chopped onions and a slice of the Mt. Olive 0 cal sweet pickles. I can do that for about 100 calories. And I'll have a couple of deviled eggs with it - four 'halves' - but instead of using the yolks, I'll use the white of a third hard boiled egg, sieve it fine, and use that for the mashed yolk with the mustard and speck of mayo and seasonings. That should make enough filling to stuff the other four halves and not be more than about 50 calories. ---- OK, that's my first meal of the day: two hot dogs in 'buns' with condiments, and four deviled egg halves, with a huge glass if fresh iced tea! But right now, I'm not hungry yet.

Hope you all will post your DD or your UD foods today so I have the entertainment of reading about what you will be eating!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
Quote:
Hope you all will post your DD or your UD foods today so I have the entertainment of reading about what you will be eating!
Wine! A glass or two of nice white wine! That's my big indulgence for today's up day!

Just to reinterate what SoHappy said upthread, I'm another one that had to switch from just carb counting to calorie counting as well after a while. I lost about 80lbs without having to calorie count, but then suddenly, it wasn't enough. I called it my "sweet spot", though it was far from sweet, where the natural calorie reduction from carb restriction meets the calories I need to maintain my weight. After that, I needed to cut back on calories and portions to lose weight.

That's when I started switching out low-fat mayo, sour cream and cream cheese for the full fat stuff. I started moderating my hard cheese snacking. I started cooking my vegetables with as little oil as I could get away with instead of drenching them. I started using lower calorie salad dressings again. And to be honest, I didn't notice much difference, to my enjoyment of my food, with those changes. It was a painless way to reduce calories.

Kind - about the fats. I buy fish oil to get my omega 3 fatty oils and have a tablespoon a day. I take it right off the spoon, but it's a fairly mild oil and you could put it on your salad instead of extra virgin olive oil and get far more of the good fats, without as many of the omega 6s as you get with the olive oil.

And about the protein. I'm really fussy about protein. I just think it's *so* important to have enough so I do really try to get at least a minimum of protein each down day. I'm not sure if having extra on an up day would make up for not enough on a down day, but it's certainly a reasonable assumption. It's not like our bodies are on a clock and say "oh, that's yesterday's protein, I can't use that today!".

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I made a delicious breakfast sandwich this morning using the split bread method--1 piece canadian bacon, fried eggwhites, 1 slice ff cheddar, split toast--a large and filling sandwich for less than 150 calories--should get me to lunch happily Thanks so much for the idea--I am loving experimenting with it--yesterday I made a "PB&J" with reconstituted peanut flour and polaner nosugar jam, the day before I made a "grilled cheese" with diet processed cheese (weight watchers brand)--and I made a "reuben" with ff corned beef, sauerkraut, and sf/ff russian dressing (doctored, of course). yumm. looking forward to more creations now that I can have sandwiches again. thanks you guys!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #202

Quote:
It's not like our bodies are on a clock and say "oh, that's yesterday's protein, I can't use that today!".
Yes, I agree with this. As though the days of our lives we were ill and not eating anything weren't made up for once we recovered and started eating again.

Having a couple of glasses of a lovely white wine tonight sounds like a heavenly way to relax and enjoy the close of another day.

Vee, what kind of fish oil do you buy? And where? I have taken fish oil gel tablets in the past, you know the kind that is in with all the other vitamins, but something in a bottle that could be drizzled over the salad would be wonderful! Can you share? and then I'll hope I can find that around here when I'm out next, and give it a try.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #203
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
Cold and more cold. snowing now.I have been cold to the bone any way. Hot bath sounds good to me right now and soup.
Big salad for me today.
Daisey did you say u read the 17 day diet book? what was that about? Just wondering. My mind does that so often.Mostly when Im doing a dd.
Stay warm my friend.
Kind{ Janet
I did read it. and tried it. I won't do it again. I like choosing what I get for my 500 or less calories.

About the cold. On the news yesterday. They said keep your heat low in your house (below 70) it helps speed up your metablism and you burn more calories. I should be skinny right now. I am freezing.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #204

Quote:
On the news yesterday. They said keep your heat low in your house (below 70) it helps speed up your metablism and you burn more calories. I should be skinny right now. I am freezing.
I'd rather just do JUDDD.

Sounds like that 17-Day Diet plan tells you what you are supposed to eat each day. I don't like those kinds of plans either. I tried one of those that had all the meals planned out for each day. I followed it all. I'm not saying the diet didn't work, but at the end of the week my refrigerator was stuffed with all the leftover groceries that hadn't been worked into any other meals. What was I supposed to do with all of that? Just throw it out?

I'm still just drinking my hot tea and feeling wonderful. I don't plan to eat until at least noon. Having a great morning and getting a lot of stuff done around here.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
SoHappy, I was hoping Netrition carried it so that I could show you my brand. They do carry this one that is probably similiar - Nordic Naturals Omega 3

The one I buy, at my local health food store, can be found by googling "Nutrasea", a brand made by Ascenta Health. Very mild taste, I can take it right off the spoon, which I do generally. I take too many supplements and pills so I try to take what I can in liquid form. I have my fish oil, calcium supplement and multi in liquid form at night.
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Quote:
Also, I was wondering if you eat a bit heavier on protein on UDs to compensate for perhaps not getting as much on DDs, or do you figure you are probably getting in enough anyway, to not worry about it.
Interesting question! I've been following Leo's lead and try to get in a good bit of protein on my DDs but I find that I want even more on my UD - yesterday, I just could not get enough beef on my UD. Fortunately it was lean, but I did eat quite a bit of it. I haven't been monitoring my UP calories too closely yet since I have pretty much just started and have so much to lose, so for now I'm just going with what my body wants to do (unless said body goes crazy and decides it wants Doritos or something).

Yesterday's UD all I wanted was meat, some cheese and a nice bowl of LC spaghetti with a thick meat sauce. I had no interest in veggies but ate some spinach simply because it was there in my turkey rollatini that I had made.

Now on my DD today I will have mass quantities of the veggie soup I made last night, and so far I have had no desire for meat or cheese. Weird how it is working out, but I'm happy! I had an egg white omelet for breakfast and will most likely have hot dogs for dinner to finish up the package.

I also weighed this a.m. although it's not Tuesday, because we leave tomorrow before dawn and I won't be able to weigh until we get home which will be three weeks from now. Despite weighing after an UD, I was delighted to see that I am down another half pound. I am so excited, because I would be thrilled with a one-pound-per-week loss and it looks like I am on track for that.

When I come home, I can be in ONEDERLAND!!!!!

Donna
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #207

Congratulations, Donna! The magic of JUDDD at work! Keep up the good work.

Kind, I'll bet you are due to see a loss on your weigh-in day. If you do JUDDD correctly, it's almost impossible to NOT lose weight on it, with the low calorie DD bringing down your calorie averages for the week so nicely. I can hardly wait for you to post.

Dasiey, enjoy your UD today. Hope you'll come in here and post your foods so I can enjoy them vicariously! I'm doing well on my DD today, but reading about your good UD meals will help me feel fuller.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #208
Blabbermouth!!!

Sohappy, Well so far I had coffee with almond milk,eggs and turkey bacon.
Not very exciting so far.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Sohappy, Well so far I had coffee with almond milk,eggs and turkey bacon.
Not very exciting so far.
Do you like that? You know, I tried it but didn't like the flavor very well so I just drink my coffee on UDs now, so I can lighten it with my half & half.

On my DDs I just drink nice hot teas that I don't add any milk to.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #210

Ha! The DD hotdogs and deviled eggs lunch turned out pretty darned good!

I split a slice of the low calorie bread to make two 'buns', and I split one of the low calorie hot dogs in half length-wise to make two 'weiners'... and then piled on the chopped onion and mustard and sugar free sweet pickle. And while we all know that our DD foods are sometimes coming up short because of our priority of keeping the day's calories very low, this was a treat to me. I will definately do this again.

The DD deviled eggs were also a good (enough) result. I threw away the hard egg yolks and then used one of the egg whites, mashed up fine, to replace the yolks. Added my 'stuff'.. mustard, lite mayo, a little sugar free pickle juice, etc. and the result was quite, quite OK! I made 4 nice big egg halves. I'll be making these sometime again too.

So now I'm sipping on my big iced tea through a fat red straw and feeling pretty fine. And in my head is the knowledge that I'm heading toward a slimmer figure and those cuter clothes I want to be dressing in this summer.

How are you all doing?