Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Down Day Sweet Treat

In the evenings I have the desire for something... *something* usually being something sweet. If you were a little girl like me, growing up in the 1940's and 1950's, we didn't eat A LOT of sweets, but mama often had a little something for us at the end of our supper. And then 'that was that'. This is what I've come up with for myself. For anyone else interested, here it is- short and sweet:

SUGAR FREE PUDDING -- OR -- FROZEN PUDDING KISSES: 45 Calories

2 Cups Almond Breeze almond milk, vanilla, unsweetened, (80 cal)
1 Box Jello Instant Pudding Mix - Sugar Free, (100 cal)

Easy-Peasy. Mix the instant pudding mix into the almond milk as directed and pour into four bowls, refrigerate until the pudding has set up. Makes 4 half-cup servings, 45 calories each.

To make the frozen pudding kisses, wait until pudding has firmed up and then drop small spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with tinfoil. Freeze them completely. Just a half cup pudding portion makes a lot of the little kisses! Enjoy popping one into your mouth when you are in the mood for a little taste of something sweet. (I like chocolate the best.)

NOTE: I believe there may be a difference in the calorie count between some of the different flavors of Jello Instant Sugar Free Pudding mixes, so adjust accordingly, if needed.

NOTE: All of the Almond Breeze almond milk varieties differ in their calorie counts, so make sure you get the UNsweetened vanilla flavor to keep your calorie counts down.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-17-2011 at 01:55 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #92
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Great thread! Thanks for all the info. I'd love to see what prepared foods you all eat on DD's, when not in the mood to cook.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
SoHappy - glad you liked the bread-splitting idea.

I was inspired by Leo's comments about protein, so my lunch today was a tuna salad on a split-bread sandwich. I entered the cals into a calculator and my tuna salad was 204 calories for the bowl - I used half of it for my sandwich. The low-cal bread I buy is 35 cals, so my lunch was 137 calories. The salad was pretty good:

1 can Bumble Bee water-pack tuna
1 cup chopped fresh celery
1 tiny dill pickle, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 tbs Greek yogurt
1 tsp dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper

I don't have any low-cal or low-fat mayo around so opted for the tbs of yogurt--I actually liked it a lot!

Donna
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #94

That sounds good, Donna. I need to remember to get some cans of tuna at the store. I only have oil pack, and I will use that on some UD when I don't have to cut the calories to the bone!

My little pudding kisses are in freezing, and I made a batch of soup so am posting my recipe for that for the next time I want to find out what I did and the calorie counts for it.. without having to figure it up all over again. LOL

BEEFY ONION-MUSHROOM SOUP: 60 Calories

1 Can Beef Broth (40 cal)
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup, condensed (275 cal)
1 Envelope Onion Soup, dry mix (100 cal)
5-1/2 Cups water
8 Oz. Mushrooms, fresh, sliced (50 cal)
1 Tbsp. Parsley, dried flakes (4)
1 tsp. Garlic, powder (9)

Simmer the ingredients all together until mushrooms are tender and flavors have mingled.

Serving size is 1 cup. Makes 8 servings.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
SoHappy - glad you liked the bread-splitting idea.

I was inspired by Leo's comments about protein, so my lunch today was a tuna salad on a split-bread sandwich. I entered the cals into a calculator and my tuna salad was 204 calories for the bowl - I used half of it for my sandwich. The low-cal bread I buy is 35 cals, so my lunch was 137 calories. The salad was pretty good:

1 can Bumble Bee water-pack tuna
1 cup chopped fresh celery
1 tiny dill pickle, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 tbs Greek yogurt
1 tsp dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper

I don't have any low-cal or low-fat mayo around so opted for the tbs of yogurt--I actually liked it a lot!

Donna
YUM Donna! This sounds really great!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #96

I SPLIT BREAD!!!!!

penguinpower, I toasted it nicely but not too crispy, just as you directed, and then carefully split it with my favorite bread knife.

AND I WAS LAUGHING SO HARD ALL THE TIME THAT I COULD HARDLY MAKE A STRAIGHT CUT.

So I've had my first little meal of the day. Didn't plan this little tidbit, but I didn't want to let my toasted bread dry out and get hard, and I wanted to see how it worked. And it works just fine. And, for a Down Day, it works fabulously! I just put a bit of lettuce and tomato slices on it, salt & pepper, and about 1/2 Tbsp. of light mayo spread on it. BLT sandwich without the B.

So thanks for the suggestion. I'm still laughing at my little adventure, but I'll most certainly be doing this again. Just wanted to thank you for the suggestion.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
I'm making this for today's DD: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes. I'm going to use my Pumpkin Spice syrup instead of the splenda, but I may do half SF Vanilla and half SF Pumpkin Spice. And of course I won't be eating the whole thing, but it sounds filling and tasty and the calorie count is lovely.
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH YEAH! Shirataki noodles rock!!!

Thanks SoHappy for pointing out that they were great for my DD. I was just getting to the point where liquids were not satisfying me and WOW, I rinsed the noodles and cut them up as you suggested and tossed them in my homemade chicken soup with spinach.

The mouth-feel was amazing and very, very satisfying. And after having a small bowl of soup and noodles, I am nice and full.

Thank you SoHappy, I am SOOOOO happy at my new find!

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-18-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #99

My two new *Finds* of the day:

(1) Mt. Olive -no sugar added- Bread & Butter Pickles, sandwich slices
......listed as 0 calories for some reason, but also as 1 carb, so I'm counting them as 4 calories. These are the long, flat sandwich slices, 4-1/2 to 5 inches long! Made with Splenda, which I don't normally eat much of, but just wanted to mention it in case anyone else can't take Splenda. I thought the flavor was pretty good, and it was nice to have when I wanted the sweet pickle flavor on my tuna salad sandwich.

(2) Maple Grove Farms of Vermont -sugar free- Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
......listed as 5 calories for 2 tablespoons, with 1 carb. Also uses sucralose for the bit of sweet flavor. I haven't tried it on salad yet but did taste it. I think the flavor is pretty darned good!

I found both of these offerings in the health food section of my local grocery. I think they are both going to be a big, big help to me in controling calories, particularly on the DDs when the calorie count can be stretched pretty thin. These little things can keep my food tasting, well.. tasty

Post any great Finds of your own here.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, my UP day is upon me and I have to plan everything out so I don't overeat.

I have some Japanese eggplant and I'm not afraid to use them!

Seriously, I will have some whey protein shake (I LOVE these for breakfast whether on UP or DD) and I have some roasted salmon and green beans prepared. I'll weigh and measure each.

I also want to saute these eggplant, or roast them, once I weigh them and calculate the calories.

I entered everything into ****** and came up good, but under 1200 calories. Soooo, if I'm hungry, I have more chicken stock and shirataki in the fridge.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #101

Good Morning, and "Stay Strong" to any who are doing a DD today.

I'm doing an UD today too, but just checking in here to see if there were any new posts about food items and products I hadn't found yet or new recipes.. or to read what the rest of you eat on DDs.

RealFoodLiving, I caution you not to keep your UD calories too low, as the calorie restriction is supposed to be the job of the DDs. The UDs are supposed to give your body the good jolt of *carbing up/calorie load* that will keep your metabolism humming along at a good clip.

If your UDs are too low in addition to your very low DDs, your body is liable to make your metabolism slow way down, as the brains 'fail-safe' chemistry may believe you are living in a time of famine with little food available, and turns down your metabolism switch to slow down your burning of calories. You might want that in a true famine situation, but not now when your goal is really just weight loss and better health.

Of course, maybe your actual and true calorie needs are only for a 1,200 UD, but that would be quite unusual and quite unusually low, I think. -- I don't want to be nosey or pushy or come off sounding like a know-it-all, but I just don't want you to hurt yourself or damage your metabolism by taking this great plan too far beyond its design. There is a reason that UDs were named UP days. LOL

Awfully glad that you are still thrilled with JUDDD though. I am too!!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

Oh THANK YOU! I am a newbie and will take all the wise advice I can get!

Thank you for caring enough to post to me.

I'm having a problem getting enough calories, without the carbs and without eating straight fat! I was shooting for 1500 cals, but under 30 gms of carbs.

I may then focus on more protein (like the salmon) and less on the veggies today to get my cals up and keep carbs low.

It's just that I hate to give up my veggies as they are sooo important to my overall health.

I could swap some things around and get the numbers right, but it will remain to be seen how the hunger goes.

I think I'll mess with it and repost my menu if that won't bother anyone. And you can make suggestions. Would that be OK?

I want to learn Master Yoda! Teach me the ways of the JUDD force!!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

I re-worked the foods and numbers and it looks like this. What do you think? Do I need more calories?

Calories 1,413

Fat

Carbs 29.6

Protein 124.2

Fiber 10

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-19-2011 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
The only thing I count is calories. Right now I am doing 1800 on my uds and 500 or less on my dds.

It is dd for me today.

My find is salmon burgers 130 calories and for those counting carbs it says 0.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #105
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Egg White Omelet My supermarket has its own brand that's the same as Eggbeaters but cheaper. They have two forms--one is pre-measured at the equivalent of 2 eggs/60 cal., and the other is just a container which lists 1/4 cup/30 cal.

Today I used the 60 cal, but I usually use the 30 cal one on DDs.

I use a mug (actually a soup mug) and spray it with Pam. I put either a T of chopped spinach or chopped broccoli in the bottom for another 10 cal (I buy frozen and keep a bowl defrosted in the fridge).

I microwave for 2 min, add salt and pepper, and eat it with my coffee for breakfast. The added veggies make it nicer, but I sometimes eat it plain as well. It's really satisfying because it's pure protein.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

I also buy the store brand. I just call them all egg beaters.
I get the quart size for less then 4 dollars at w-mart.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

If you live near and shop at Walgreens, there's an interesting deal there this week that might help on down days. They have this product called "Full Fast Appetite Control Spray." Shelf price is $29.99 but this week only it is on sale for $10, AND you get a $10 Register Reward when you purchase it. You redeem your Register Reward on any future purchase within the next two weeks, meaning you can try this product for free.

I couldn't resist--I got one (used a Register Rewards from another purchase, so it was REALLY free!). I haven't tried it yet, though. I have no idea if it works or is just another silly diet gimmick...but hey, it's free to try!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW Donna,

Free is good.

What have you got to lose? I hope it works for you!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #109

I did a good job today of holding my UD calories to 1,496 so far, and that gives me a bit to play with for later this evening if I decide to enjoy a Boston Cream Pie yogurt, 110 calories. Supposedly I should be at 1,650 to 1,890, depending on the extent of my normal daily exercise, but that actually varies so much from week to week. So who knows. I think that sounds a little high, but ? I guess if I do DDs well enough and there isn't much weight loss, I'll have to lower the UD calories. I'm down 2.8 pounds these last two weeks. That's pretty good for me. LOL

I'm going to make Italian vegetable soup for my DD tomorrow... to go with my sandwiches made on SPLIT TOAST. Very filling.

Hope you all had great success today.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

AWESOME day! Sounds like this WOE suits you well.

Thank you for all the posts full of helpful information too.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone,

I had a good UP day and enjoying this very much.

Tomorrow, my DD plan is:

Watered down whey protein shake with nut butter and cocoa

Shirataki noodles and vegetable soup, lots of decaf tea w/ stevia and lots of water.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #112
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Yesterday's DD worked well for me:

Tuna w/low fat mayo--200 cal/28g protein

TWO (at different times) eggwhite omelets (plain) 120 cal - 24g protein

So for 320 cal, I got 52g of quality protein from real food.

The black coffee and hot, green tea throughout the day helped a lot.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh shoot I forgot to go buy my tea..
darn it.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #114

A DD for me today. I made a huge pot of Italian Vegetable Soup, so I'll be having big bowls of that and sandwiches for my two meals today and then maybe some frozen 'kisses' if I'm hungry for something sweet this evening.

I lost almost a pound overnight from yesterday's UD, that is.. if the scale was right. So a mini-whoosh. That's a nice surprise. Hope I don't see it showing back up in the morning and find it was all a 'weighing error' on the part of the old scale.

My recipe for Italian Vegetable Soup:

1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 can spinach, drained and chopped
1 can green beans, drained and chopped
1 can tomatoes, diced or chopped
1 can tomato juice
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
a few shakes of whatever other Italian-ish spices you can think of

Made 11 overflowing cups of soup and about 780 calories for the whole batch.

I used canned vegetables because I didn't have fresh or frozen on hand and didn't want to run to the grocery store, garlic powder because I'm out of that too. It tastes great and would be even better with fresh ingredients, I'm sure. (I'd chop mushrooms into this too, if I hadn't used them for my previous batch of Beefy Mushroom Onion soup. LOL)

But a very dense soup, thick and chunky. And tasty and filling!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

What a dilemma - I want to make soup later today, to have it ready for tomorrow's DD, but can't make up my mind! I want to try Leo's anti-inflammatory and SoHappy's Beefy Mushroom, and her Italian Vegetable. Decisions, decisions!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
What a dilemma - I want to make soup later today, to have it ready for tomorrow's DD, but can't make up my mind! I want to try Leo's anti-inflammatory and SoHappy's Beefy Mushroom, and her Italian Vegetable. Decisions, decisions!
Well, it looks like there are going to be LOTS of DDs, stretching out into the future. Lots of soup days coming up to try them all and others as we get them posted. So just flip a coin!

I'm loving splitting bread in half and using one slice to make a whole sandwich. Now I'm thinking of cutting each half into 12 squares (so 24) toasting them just a tiny bit more in the oven to make they crunchy-crispy and using them as crackers with some kind of fabulous DD dip.. as yet to be invented. I have my mind on some kind of a creamy shrimp dip and another one of dried beef & green olives. I'll come up with something. I could definately make a supper of 24 crackers/chips and big scoops of dip and really enjoy it!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-20-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

How about this one, So Happy - this is an old fave of ours. I'm thinking of trying this and eliminating the olive oil just to see what it tastes like. Without the oil it ought to be pretty low-cal Tahini is 89 cals per tbs.

Raw Zucchini Hummus

2 cups PEELED fresh zucchini
2 tbs Tahini
1 tsp Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (try it with one tbs first and add the second if needed)
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Large Garlic Clove (I actually prefer garlic powder since it doesn't overwhelm it if you don't eat it all right away)
Sprinkle of Paprika

The zucchini must be peeled to obtain the right texture!

Combine all ingredients except paprika into food processor and blend until creamy and thick. If not desired consistency add a little bit of water while blending. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with paprika to make it pretty (well paprika tastes good too lol) Will keep for a day or two in an airtight container. You can add all kinds of fun mix-ins to this: hot pepper flakes, various spices, etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #118

ACK! I forgot to post a very important ingredient in my Italian Vegetable Soup recipe above: 2 zucchinis... 3 or 4 cups, peeled and chopped. (you can keep the peel on, but I don't like the peel)

The zucchini is pretty much what fleshes the soup out and makes it as substantial as it is. Sorry if anybody tried it yet without the zucchini.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #119

penguinpower, the zucchini hummus recipe sounds very, very good. I will try it when I get tahini, as I don't keep it on hand. LOL Hardly ever have needed that ingredient, but it's now on the list.

I wonder if it would taste 'reasonably' good with just 1 Tbsp of the tahini? I don't mind the little teaspoon of olive oil, as it might help with the mouth feel. And it's own little addition of flavor.

I will definately try this with the little 'cracker/crisps' next DD or very shortly!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Leo - Thanks for posting the recipe for the egg white omelet. Today is an UD for me, but I think I will try the omelet later, just to see how I like it. Then I will use it for DD, next time.
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote