Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Ya know, I wondered about that. I've never viewed hamburger (which I LOVE, btw) as a very good calorie bargain.

I wonder about using a half pound of ground turkey instead?
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post
Redeemed: I love your favorite DD recipe, however 1lb isn't 340 calories, it's more like a whopping 788 of lean meat, a little less for super lean. I had to adjust down to a quarter pound. Good tho!!
Suze The recipe called for l/2 pound of lean hamburger. The hamburger I use is 96/4 and is 140 calories for one serving (4 oz) - there are 4 servings per pound. Therefore, l/2 pound is actually 280 calories. I must have used 97/3 to get the above calorie count. Nevetheless, the calorie count is quite low with lean hamburger.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Beet Pocket Sandwich

I made this recently, and I thought it was very delicious. Should go very nicely with one of Shelly's soup recipes.

1/2 pita pocket (90 calories)
6 oz. roasted and mashed beet (72 calories)
1/4 chopped small onion (about 5 calories)
salt, pepper, garlic
2 TBS sour cream (100 calories)
mixed salad greens (about 5 calories)

mix sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic, chopped onion with mashed beet
fill pita pocket with about a half cup of greens
add beet mixture
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #64
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Pooti's Turkey Meatloaf (Makes 10 big servings - 2 (9x4) Loaf Pans

1 Pkg Jenni-O Ground Turkey Breast (40 oz)
2 oz Pork Rinds, processed into small meal
1/2 c Parmesan (Green can)
1 med Onion
1 med Red Bell Pepper
8 Large Mushrooms
3 Tbsp Yellow Mustard (French's style)
4 Tbsp Heinz Red. Calorie Ketchup
3 Eggs, raw
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder (Granulated)
1 Tbsp Basil Leaf, dried
2 tsp Thyme Leaf, dried
1 tsp Cayenne, ground
1/2 to 1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Black Pepper, coarsely ground
3 fl oz White Wine, dry or Dry Vermouth
1 Heaping Tbsp Sambal Oelek (optional)

Preheat oven to 350*.
Line 4x9" loaf pans with parchment paper. Or at least, put parchment in the bottom of the pan. This is really too loose to make as a free form mound on a sheet pan. You really need the sides to contain it.

In food processor, chop the onions and red bell pepper until very finely minced. Mixture will be liquidy. Pour liquid and solids into large mixing bowl.

In food processor, pulse mushrooms until they are small meal but not watery. Add to mixing bowl.

Add all other spices and wet ingredients except turkey. Mix to combine thoroughly. Crumble turkey into the wet mixture. Using the tines of a fork, gently combine the turkey with the other ingredients. You are trying not to over work the turkey and you're trying not to compact it. Once thoroughly mixed, divide it into two portions and place into loaf pans.

I set the loaf pans on a foil lined cookie sheet. That way if they boil over, there won't be a problem. These will have a ton of liquid in the pan with them. Once they are done, carefully pour off liquid into a small sauce pan. Proceed from here with the "gravy recipe".

Totals for 2 (4x9) Turkey Meatloafs: 2813 Cals 130.8g Fat (44%), 66.6g C (9%), 12.3g Fiber, 296g P (44%), 9.2g Alcohol (2%)

1/10th of a recipe = 1 serving (Cut loaf into 5 servings each)
Cals 281
Fat 13.1g (44%)
Sat Fat 4.5g (15%)
Carbs 6.7g (10%)
Fiber 1.2g
Protein 29.6g (44%)
Alcohol .9g (2%)

This is really moist and freezes great! Be sure to take the trouble to make the sauce that goes with it! Totals do not include the Sambal Oelek.

Turkey Meatloaf Sauce

Juices and Fat from 2 Loaf Pans of Turkey Meatloaf
2 Tbsp Heinz Reduced Calorie Ketchup
1 Tbsp French's Yellow Mustard
Xanthan Gum if necessary

Carefully drain off the liquid from the meatloaf into a small saucepan. Whisk in ketchup and mustard and reduce over high heat until juices are concentrated. I usually reduce it by 2/3 or more. I am looking for a thick looking "gravy like" consistency that comes from a reduction. I don't use xanthan gum in this sauce because it gets thick enough for me.

Spoon a Tbsp or 2 over meatloaf slices and serve.

Delicious! Mmmmmm.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Great ideas!!! Thank you all for posting them.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Poot, that turkey loaf sounds delicious, and I am so happy to read that I can process all the veggies in the food processor. I am a lazy lump when it comes to chopping vegetables. Since I very much doubt that my pueblo will be able to provide me with sambal oelek, do you think adding a bit more cayenne would do?

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #67
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Pat, I think any kind of chile would work. Cracked red pepper and maybe pureeing it with a pinch of salt and vinegar might do the trick! Do you have dried hot red chilis there like chile de arbol or anything? I think you could make your own easily by steaping it in hot vinegar, maybe adding a touch of garlic and some salt. Then puree coarsely and voila! Sambal Oelek!

I kid you not, I'm not a ground turkey lover but that meatloaf is absolutely killer. It's so moist and hearty feeling!!!! And yes, the food processor is a must for it. I make it in about 5-10 minutes tops and then it cooks for about 45min to an hour. Hope you like it!
pooticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistydisa
Stats: 224/199/150
WOE: Hhcg
Start Date: Sept. 30, 2010
I JUDDDDed last year for several months. I'm now doing hcg, but plan to go back to JUDDDD over the holidays. I thought I'd share a few of my favorite recipes I've tried that people have posted on the hcg forum.

P2 Chili (Misty's version)
1 lb. lean hamburger (I use 93/7)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can Hunt's fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
1 can Rotel w/green chiles
3 minced garlic cloves (I used the dried)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. salt
dash paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 - 2 Tbs. chili powder
water to desired consistency

Brown your hamburger meat with garlic, onion, and 1/2 cup water. Do not drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed (I like it thick.)

Makes 4 servings.
202 calories each

Baked Tomatoes Oregano (as posted by GeneaX1)
INGREDIENTS
large ripe tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 oz fat-free cottage cheese (I used 2%)
bread crumbs from crushed grissini or melba toast (I used sesame melba)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Pam or cooking spray

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Coat a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
Place tomato slices close together in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and oregano.
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is lightly toasted.

Makes 1 serving. Calories 114
(It's sooooo good!)

P2 Chocolate Strawberry Slushie (Misty's Version--original by ChristiansMom)
~ 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
3 Tbs. Walden Farms chocolate syrup (calorie free/sugar free/fat free.....Da Vinci's or Torani's may also be used)
1 Tbs. milk
ice cubes (about 5-6)
water (to desired consistency)

Place everything in a blender. Blend. Add more ice or water to your desired consistency. Blend. I then place mine in the freezer for about 1/2 an hour. Very filling and tasty!

Makes 1 serving. ~ 60 calories
mistydisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #69
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
JUDDD: Down Day Menus and Recipes

Some of us find it helpful to read what others have chosen for their Down Day menus and in what quantities, and how that went for them in helping to control appetite on these sometimes harder days.

And it's nice to find a recipe for a meal that somebody else has made, and they've already figured out the ingredients and the measurements and the calorie totals for us.

This will be where we can gather and discuss our Down Days, ask for help, make suggestions, and lend encouragement to our JUDDD Friends and mention food at the same time.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Also Lets say we would like to know the calories of a item like bananas or anything we can ask here as well.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Also If you are shopping and you see an item thats low in calories. Please tell us. I am always looking for these items.

I eat Fat Free hot dogs 40 cal. each. with one lite bread at 35 each. Its not bad with some mustard on it or dill pickle relish. both 0 calories.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #72

Here are two things I'm going to try again. I've done them in the past effectively, and I think with a little tweaking they will be fine for DDs.

JKat mentioned the low calorie bread and egg beaters (which I've never used), and I remember making and loving sandwiches on that bread before. So I might try it again. And I went to the website and read about the egg beaters and found out...... THEY COME IN DIFFERENT FLAVORS!

I'm thinking some cooked flavored egg beater stuff, two slices of the low cal bread spread with mustard (which I love), maybe a slice of FF cheese, and a slice of tomato sprinkled nicely with salt and pepper, and a nice thick layer of crispy iceberg lettuce, for that crunch factor. With enough lettuce, you could make a big, thick sandwich that you have to hold in both hands and feel like you were really getting quite a satisfactory lunch!

The other thing I remember doing was making some sweet treats to satisfy the evening snacking compulsion. I remember making sugar free chocolate pudding, a bit thicker than called for, and then dropping little tiny blobs of it onto tinfoil lined cookie sheets and freezing the things solid. Then storing them in a zippy bag in the freezer. They were my little frozen Hershey's Kisses. That worked pretty well and kept me from any cravings or crashes in the evening hours. I'll just figure them into the calorie total.

Hope to hear from more of you and things you have found to work well for you!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-17-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
THANK YOU SoHappy for starting this thread. I personally need the direction and wisdom of all you JUDDers!

As I posted, my 1st DD went pretty well. I was hungry, but kept drinking and mostly warm drinks and my watered-down homemade whey protein shake. I counted up the calories and added water to make it stretch further.

I made homemade chicken stock and removed the fat. I added plain chopped spinach and spices like ginger. I drank about 2 quarts of that along with decaf herbal tea and stevia.

I also drank water and stevia and for supper I had a tiny piece, not even an oz, but I counted it as an oz of roasted chicken and 1 celery stalk.

I took my Diabetes meds and monitored my glucose readings and they stayed in the 90's. YAY!!!!!

I need to stay LC on my journey, both UP and DDs so I'm looking for simple protein options for DDs.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-17-2011 at 08:01 AM..
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
I need to stay LC on my journey, both UP and DDs so I'm looking for simple protein options for DDs.
RealFoodLiving, I was so tickled to read that your b/s stayed in the 90s! Fabulous.

I think much of what we post here in the DD thread will almost have to be fairly low in carbs, since even they add up, and low in fat for sure on a DD, so I think the protein should probably be fairly decent for most of our foods.

And, just for example, if somebody has a sandwich on low calorie bread, you could always make that same sandwich on an Atkins Revolution Roll (oopsie) made out of egg, so that might be an idea too.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Also If you are shopping and you see an item thats low in calories. Please tell us. I am always looking for these items.

I eat Fat Free hot dogs 40 cal. each. with one lite bread at 35 each. Its not bad with some mustard on it or dill pickle relish. both 0 calories.
Good idea. I've never really looked at hot dog calories. I'm going to have to start paying some attention.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

I also eat turkey bacon 35 calories a slice.

I seen low carb bread 40 cal. a slice and 5 net carbs
as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #77

Daisey: One large banana (8 to 9 inches long) has 121 calories and 31 carbs.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

thank you!!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Daisey: Hi! I DO remember you from our eggy days!

I cannot stomach (literally) eggs since that time! Isn't that funny?

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-17-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

It is. I do egg beaters on my dds.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #81

Daisey, do you have a food scale? It is the single greatest thing I have for tracking the calories and the carbohydrates, etc. in the foods I eat.

How much is a cup of broccoli florets? It can vary from batch to batch because the broccoli doesn't pack down and there are a lot of air spaces.

And what is a 'medium' tomato or a medium apple? Lots of room for interpretation there.

Even your large banana can be more... or it can be less...
Eight to nine inches long? Is that IN the peel, counting the peel? Or is that after the peel is removed? And is this a fat banana or a skinny one? An in between one?

All of this variance can really make a difference when you are counting calories and you HAVE to stay at this very low DD level.

The one thing that can be depended on is to weigh your food. An ounce of banana is an ounce of banana. PERIOD. And then you can go into ****** or some other program and enter it and keep track of it all so easily.

If you are not using a food scale, I strongly recommend you think about getting one. I don't have a food scale as such, but did have a postal scale (which I think is even better), and I use that. It measures in ounces and fractions of an ounce, so I can really get an exact weight measurement of my foods and keep really TIGHT control of my calories on Down Days.

On UDs, I'm somewhat more relaxed.

I bought my postal scale off of E-Bay for about $30. It is one of my better investments in my life. Nice big flat surface so I can lay out a lot of food on there and get a clear digital reading. I really recommend them.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Years ago I got into the habit of splitting my bread slices and now I don't really like a "full" slice of bread--tastes so heavy to me, even the low-cal ones!

So what I do with all bread, is toast it, let it cool for a moment, and then with a very sharp knife split it down the middle making two full-size slices of bread out of one. Don't toast it too hard or it will break on you, and don't toast it too lightly or it will be too soft to split. I find that it works best for me to start at the top on a rounded edge--with a little practice it becomes second nature and you can have a full-size sandwich using only one slice of bread. Plus, with it being toasted, it gives you a nice "crunch" for your sandwich.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

Sohappy I don't have one. I normally only eat foods
that I know for sure on dds. The banana will keep
until tomorrow.

The banana may be XL because its fat.
I was going to guess it 150 cal. But I
don't like to guess. Maybe I will get a
scale one day. I will check ebay.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #84

penguinpower!!!!! That is a fantastic idea. It would maybe take me a little practice, but if I could do that to a single 40-calorie slice of 'lite' bread' and make it into two 20-cal slices, that would save me 20 cals to use for something else. I don't care if the bread is thick, just that it holds together all the 'insides'. And lightly toasted, it should have enough body to hold everything. I'll give it a try.

Now if it was a loaf of fabulous home baked bread, all bets are OFF.

Daisey, it is worth skimping and scrimping from the grocery budget just to be able to get a good scale. Either a food scale or postal scale, but one that gives you an exact digital read out rather than you trying to get an accurate reading with a needle you can't quite tell where it is.

Well, off to the store for some low cal bread and some egg beaters.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #85
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I've been doing this plan for over two years--with DDs on M, W, Fri. There are some basic components to my DDs.

I drink both coffee and tea 'black'--i.e., no creamer or sweetener--and always have. When I was struggling with losing (pre-JUDDD) my endo mentioned that since I am "otherwise healthy" I might want to increase caffeine and exercise in order to stimulate my metabolism. I was already exercising, but that 'caffeine' has become basic to my WOE, and those hot drinks really help with hunger on DDs. I drink black coffee all morning and hot tea all afternoon.

My primary concern on DDs is to focus on protein because I want to lose fat, not muscle, and without sufficient protein for its daily work of cellular repair, the body will use muscle--not fat.

I eat the same things, but often differently on different days. I have always eaten whole foods (my body doesn't register liquids as food for some reason, so shakes leave me hungry!), and I never eat anything on DDs unless I know the exact calorie count.

For example, my eggwhite 'omelet' (40 cal) is a standard, and I might have one or two during the day--or none at all (today). I use the generic brand from my supermarket that gives 30 cal. for a 1/4 cup. I spray a mug with Pam, sprinkle some chopped spinach or broccoli (frozen/defrosted--about 1 T) in the bottom and microwave for 2 min.

I eat fish as much as possible--low cal/high protein. My current favorite tuna is 120 cal for 5 oz and 28g protein. I mix it with about 1T chopped celery, and 2T low fat mayo (that I 'doctor' to spice it up and reduce calories--mustard, hot sauce, ACV and water). That's a 200 cal 'meal' and is my breakfast on most DDs (I am an early eater). I also buy wild salmon in the pouch which has a similar calorie/protein count and have that instead of tuna frequently. I will often have this tuna or salmon salad two times in the morning--half when I first get up and half later. Today I ate it all right away because I was hungry.

[I used to fear giving into my hunger early in the day, but I've found that if I satisfy my body, I often don't need anything later in the day at all.]

The fish and egg whites are my DD staples, along with broth.

I will make homemade chicken or beef broth from bones, which I cook with ACV to help get the minerals from the bones. I add more ACV and hot sauce (sounds awful, but I like it), and I find that if I'm hungry late in the day, a cup or two of broth at 20/40 cal is totally satisfying.

When I first did DDs, I made a major discovery--ALL sweeteners make me hungry! I had never noticed this when I was eating higher calories on generic low carb, but it became apparent with the low calories of DDs. The best thing I did for myself was give up all sweeteners because it also cured me of any craving for sweets at any time.

Today I'm having my tuna salad, along with my homemade veg. soup--recipe in next post.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

I made this soup last night to be ready for today. Warning--it's kinda spicy (but I love it that way) I also added Miracle Noodles (rice style) which supposedly adds zero cals to the total. I had to buy some tomatillos but had everything else on hand, but this does take a little work to put together. The result was delicious--love the flavor. I had a bowl last night when I got the hungries. Recipe was found on VeggieVenture site.

WEIGHT WATCHERS MEXICAN ZERO POINTS SOUP
Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Time to table: 1 hour
Makes 12 cups

6 cups vegetable broth (I used 6 cups water and Goya mexican boullion)
14 ounces canned diced tomato, Mexican-style preferred (I used Rotel)
2 cups fresh green beans (I used frozen from TJs and cooked and cut them very small and added at the end)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small zucchini (about 8 ounces before trimming)
1 cup tomatillo, cubed (start with about 4 ounces or 2 medium tomatillos)
1/2 medium poblano chili pepper, chopped (I didn't have this so tossed in some chopped canned chilis)
1 medium jalapeño, membranes and seeds removed, minced (I used several rings of jarred jalapeños)
1 medium red or yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh oregano (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
2 roasted red peppers packed in water
1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (these are found in small cans in the 'Mexican' section and boy, and be careful, they are hot!!!! I used only half of a small one) Mash it up with some of the roasted red pepper or chop very fine.
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice (I didn't have fresh, so used bottled)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (didn't have fresh so skipped)

OPTIONAL BUT TIME-SAVING TIP Bring the vegetable broth (or water for bouillon) to a boil in an electric tea kettle or in the microwave while prepping the vegetables.

Heat a large pot or Dutch oven on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the vegetables and spices (canned tomatoes through oregano) as they're prepped. Add the broth when it's ready. Cover and bring to a boil. (Because I used boiling water, the soup was just starting to boil when I added the last ingredients.) Once at a boil, partly uncover the soup, reduce the heat to maintain a slow simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in salt, lime juice and cilantro. (I then whizzed it a bit with my hand blender to break up most of the veggies but still leave some chunky. I also tossed in a bag of the miracle noodles).

NUTRITION ESTIMATE (From the website, I did not recalculate)
Per Cup: 43 Cal (6% from Fat, 24% from Protein, 70% from Carb); 3 g Protein; 0 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 0 g Mono Fat; 8 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; NetCarb6; 3 g Sugar; 20 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 553 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 0 points
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #87
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Vegetable Soup

I found this recipe years ago as an "anti-inflammatory" soup, and I've varied the vegetables over the years--sometimes just whatever I have in the house.

It can be made by just simmering the fresh veggies in water (the original recipe), but I like it better when I use my homemade broth.

What I use (in a giant pot with about 16 cups of broth):

2 bunches broccoli
1 bunch parsley
2-3 stalks celery
a few carrots (I don't like carrots and often don't use them)
garlic
onion
small head cabbage (not in original recipe, but I like it for thickening)

Simmer all veggies until very soft. Then remove, puree, and add back to soup. It can have the consistency of pea soup if you use enough veggies, but I just 'wing it' in terms of the amount I use any time I make this.

I freeze it in 2-cup portions and will often have that for 'dinner' on UDs--or even DDs.

This is tricky for DDs because I haven't figured out the calorie count, but based on other veg soup recipes I've seen, I'd estimate 50 cal a cup. If you make this for DDs, you may want to get the exact calorie count from all your ingredients.

I haven't bothered because this is one case where estimating has worked for me.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Leo--I love the sound of that soup and will make it for sure. I especially like the idea of it being anti-inflammatory.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #89

Today is actually an UD for me, but I want to experiment/create a thing or two for my DDs and get the calorie counts for them entered into my ******, so I'll be eating on these things today as I experiment.

So, I bought a few things at the grocery store to experiment with since I'd never had some of this before. I made a pretty BIG 'southwestern' sandwich for 178 calories for lunch.

SOUTHWESTERN SANDWICH: 178 Calories

2 slices of low calorie Italian bread (40 cal each/80 cal total)
1 Tbsp. Kraft Cooking Creme, Santa Fe blend flavor to spread on bread (28 cal)
1/4 Cup Egg Beaters, southwestern flavor, cooked on non-stick, (30 cal)
1 slice Kraft Singles cheese, fat free sharp cheddar, (25 cal)
2 slices medium tomato, 1/4 inch thick, (7 cal)
Lots of crisp lettuce leaves, a big slab (8 cal)
Salt & Pepper sprinkled on tomatoes, to taste

This made a reasonably hearty sandwich, and I felt the lingering 'chipotle' flavor in my mouth for a few minutes, so it wasn't too bland, which is one of the things that I have to fight if I'm trying to do a very low calorie day.

I liked it. For only 178 calories, I LOVED it! I'll certainly make this sandwich sometime again on DDs.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW, great info!!

Leo: Thank you SO much for this information, it was just what I was looking for! This really helps me! You've been doing this for 2 years and you know the ins and out. And thank you for the soup recipe, I'll be making this!