Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #721
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I will be making this Thai Cucumber salad for sure! I'll probably stir a bit of hot chili paste into the dressing in place of the flakes, but it'll be about the same thing. Looking forward to this. It sounds wonderful.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #722
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
MOST Awesome Chicken/Quinoa/Veggie Stir Fry

Makes 1 BIG serving at 287 calories!

4.8 oz chicken breast (I used Perdue Perfect Portions Garlic and White Wine Chicken Breast)
1/3 cup cooked Quinoa
1 small sliced banana pepper
3/4 cup chopped cabbage
1/2 cup diced baby portabella mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tsps low sodium soy sauce
Dash ginger powder and pepper to taste
Cooking Spray

Spray frying pan with cooking spray. Cut breast into slices and cook in frying pan until almost done. Add all other ingredients except cooked Quinoa, and cook until peppers and cabbage begin to wilt. Add Quinoa and cook until heated through.

Serve hot in a nice big bowl!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 08-15-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #723

Soobee's Cheese Free/Fat Free/Gluten Free Re-make of Ouizoids English Muffin

From Soobee which Ouizoid tweaked to make it savory and I added to. (tweaks in bold). Soobee's muffin is sweet, Ouid's/my tweaks make it savory

I have been experimenting with a cheeese-free, no fat added English muffin. This is my latest.

Cheese-free Gluten Free English Muffin
1/3 cup whey protein powder
1/3 cup oat fiber
1/3 cup flax
1 tsp. glucomannan
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional) (omitted)

2 beaten eggs (use egg beater equivalent)
1 1/4 cups water (use 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk)
1/8 tsp. butterscotch or caramel flavor (optional) (omitted)
few drops opf sweetener (optional) (omitted but added 1/2 tsp salt)

Mix wet ingredients. Mix into dry ingredients. You need an immersion blender or mixer for this. Otherwise the lumps of oat fiber won't dissolve. This will make a wet batter. Pour into silicone muffintop pans. Bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes. I get 8-9 muffins. (I got 6 muffin tops)

NOTE: A tweak I added: 1 tbs of grated parmesan cheese and topped 3 of the muffins with toasted onion to make onion rolls. These came out amazingly well and very low cal for our DDs!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 25
Calories 69

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 2.74g 4%
Saturated Fat 0.144g 1%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.01g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.07g
Cholesterol 2mg 1%
Sodium 143mg 6%
Potassium 40mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.4g 2%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Sugars 0.16g
Protein 8.19g

Net Carbs: 1.4g
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #724
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I just made a large pot of cabbage soup for a couple of down days. Then
if I am feeling lazy on an up day I could always convert some of the soup to
jambalaya.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #725

Down Day Pork Wonton Soup

This makes 2 nice size servings of Wonton soup with 5 Wontons and 2 cups of soup per serving. I found Wonton wrappers that are 20 cals each in my local big grocer! I used pork but any chicken, turkey and even ground shrimp/fish would work well.

Homemade Pork Wonton Soup

Ingredients:

1.6 oz ground pork
4 cups Fat Free Canned Chicken Broth
1/4 cup Finely shredded napa cabbage
1/4 cup Coarsely chopped napa cabbage
1 TBS chopped scallion
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (or corn starch)
1/2 tsp ginger powder or 1 tsp minced ginger

In small bowl combine pork, gluc or corn starch, soy sauce and ginger. Mix will together and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Remove pork mixture from fridge when time is up, and add 1/4 cup finely chopped napa cabbage. Mix well.

Put the 4 cups of broth into a large pot and bring to a boil while you make the Wontons.

To Make The Wontons:

Take one wrapper, fill middle of wrapper with a full 3/4 tsp of the pork mixture. Fill the Wonton and then using water, wet your index fingers and moisten around the 4 edges of the wrapper. Fold Wonton in half to form a triangle, and press firmly together to seal wonton, making sure it is firmly closed and sealed. With top point of Wonton triangle facing up, bring other 2 corners together under the Wonton and wet to seal, pressing firmly. Repeat until all 10 Wontons are made.

To Make The Soup:

When broth is boiling and all the Wontons are made, slowly add them to the broth, drop the heat to a medium simmer and boil Wontons until they float to the surface, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add remaining napa cabbage and scallion, simmer about 1 to 2 minutes more, put in a nice bowl and enjoy!!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 20
Calories 150

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 2.26g 3%
Saturated Fat 0.332g 2%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.104g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.434g
Cholesterol 20mg 7%
Sodium 1976mg 82%
Potassium 92mg
Total Carbohydrate 21.57g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 2.92g
Protein 10.68g

Last edited by Beeb; 08-17-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #726

Summer (or Winter) Kimchee

This is the BEST Kimchee I have ever tasted!!: It doesn't need to ferment before you can eat it, but the longer it sits in the fridge and tastier it gets!!

Kimchee

1 head Napa cabbage, approx. 1 lb.
1 whole scallion, finely sliced
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. peeled, minced ginger
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp mirin (this is a sugar based Rice Wine that has 7 carbs per tbsp so a good sub for LC would be plain white wine with a little sweetener mixed in it, or just a little water and sweetener)

Rinse the cabbage and remove bruised or discolored outer leaves. Quarter the cabbage lengthwise and remove the core, then slice it crosswise into 1/4 inch strips.
Toss the cabbage with scallions and seal salt in a medium mixing bowl. Knead and press with your hands to work in the salt.
Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and allow to rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Makes 10 servings

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 1
Calories 20

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.12g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.023g 0%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.058g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.018g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 24mg 1%
Potassium 48mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.96g 1%
Dietary Fiber 2.8g 11%

Sugars 0.27g
Protein 1.51g

Net Carbs: 1.16g

Last edited by Beeb; 08-31-2011 at 08:26 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
One of Vanessa120's recipes.

. I think it would be a great DD recipe if a person used extra lean ground beef and skipped the oil:
I saw this recipe yesterday and never even THOUGHT to change it for a DD! WTG Redeemed, thanks for the idea!!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
I make something like this pretty often and use no meat or oil at all - I use fat-free chicken broth to saute the garlic and some finely diced green and/or red pepper, when I have fresh tomatoes I use those instead of canned, and I vary the seasonings sometimes. It's a great anytime side-dish veggie, and super for DDs!

I also use this "rice "as a base for a rice and beans dish - if you use the black soybeans it's pretty low-carb as well.

Edited to add: I also mix in some shirataki rice with it sometimes, and with the addition of more chicken broth it's a good soup!

Last edited by penguinpower; 09-02-2011 at 12:50 PM..
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #729

CoCo Pop Cake Snack

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...l#post14974123
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #730
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Her is the french toast sohappy came up with. I made it this morning. Its wonderful.

1 slice spelt bread. 40 calories
2T liquid egg whites
1T almond milk
2T sf syrup
Olive oil spray
Strawberries

Toast the piece of bread and cut in half. Spray pan with olive oil spray. Mix the egg whites and almond milk and dip the bread in until well coated on both sides. Fry until nice and crispy. Pour sf syrup on top and I had 3 small strawberries on the side. Wonderful!
Thank you sohappy!!
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #731

Down Day Spiced Apple Cider Muffin

I just used Penguin's recipe and Ouiz's idea and this is what I did:

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber 0 Cals
1 package Sugar Free Spiced Cider Mix (Mine is called Strurm's but I saw the Alpine in Walmart today, same calories) 10 Cals
1/2 tsp baking powder 0 Cals
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon (less or more to taste) 3 Cals for 1/2 tsp 6 Cals for 1 tsp
Good sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice 2 Cals
1 tsp Ideal Brown Sugar Sub 0 Cals
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (use 1 full tsp if you want) 0 Cals

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites 30 Cals
1/4 to 1/2 cup water (eyeball this, starting with 1/4 cup and mixing to get the batter to look like a bit thicker than cake batter, almost like a brownie batter consistency) 0 Cals
* 2 tbs Walden Farms Marshmallow (I keep this in there to keep it from getting too dry and it added a nice flavor, also) 0 Cals

I mix everything in a onion soup crock, but any large mug would do. Microwave about 2 1/2 minutes or until it's not wet in the middle anymore. Serve warm or let chill in fridge. I also made a "frosting" using 1 TBS FF cream cheese, softened a bit in microwave, and mixed with a bit of vanilla DaVinci's SF syrup (or use any flavor you like) 15 Cals. Split the chilled muffin and put this frosting in the middle! YUMMY!!

Total for this muffin with frosting: 63 Cals using 1 tsp cinnamon and 60 Cals using 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Total for this muffin without frosting: 48 Cals using 1 tsp cinnamon and 45 Cals using 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Last edited by Beeb; 09-12-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #732
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
Linda - if you have any daikon radish around, a tbs. or two grated into the batter gives this an actual apple-y fexture and tastes great! I don't think it would work as well with a regular radish, but then I never tried it.

Another flavor booster is to brew a cup of apple cinnamon tea and use the tea as your liquid. I like the Celestial Seasonings a lot!

I haven't used that much liquid in mine, but will try it next time - maybe that's why mine cook so much faster (the one I make is done in 1 min 5 secs and would be a hockey puck at 2 and a half mins lol)
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Linda - if you have any daikon radish around, a tbs. or two grated into the batter gives this an actual apple-y fexture and tastes great! I don't think it would work as well with a regular radish, but then I never tried it.

Another flavor booster is to brew a cup of apple cinnamon tea and use the tea as your liquid. I like the Celestial Seasonings a lot!

I haven't used that much liquid in mine, but will try it next time - maybe that's why mine cook so much faster (the one I make is done in 1 min 5 secs and would be a hockey puck at 2 and a half mins lol)
The daikon, and tea sounds like GREAT IDEAS!! My microwave is older and I tend to think it runs cooler so try it at your 1 min 5 secs first and go from there. I added water because the batter was just too thick and the first muffin I tried (the chocolate one) was a bit dry. With the added water it was nice and moist! I have the apple cinnamon tea and I'm going to use that today for my muffin!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #734

Down Day LCal Southern Biscuit

I made this biscuit today. This is Pooti's tweak to Dottie's Southern Biscuit Recipe. I tweaked it to make it Low Cal and I have to say it was just AMAZING!! It was a bit "delicate" but I think it's because I didn't use the full serving of egg beaters and added CC FF milk. I will post my tweaks in bold and also my thoughts on how to make this more of a "hold in your hand" type biscuit. It tasted just like a KFC biscuit to me and I'm going to try Pooti's version with sausage gravy for an UD soon!

Pooti's Final Tweaked Recipe with Beeb's Low Cal Tweaks in Bold:

1 Heaping Tbsp Coconut Flour (Bob's Redmill, unsifted = approx 1-1/2Tbsp level)
1 Heaping Oat Fiber (unsifted = approx 1-1/2 Tbsp level)
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
2 Pinches Kosher Salt
Garlic Powder Sprinkle
Onion Powder Sprinkle
Parsley Flake Sprinkle
1 Tbsp (level) Yogurt (I used equal amount of FF Greek Yogurt)
1 Tbsp Sour Cream (I used equal amount of FF Sour Cream)
1-1/2 Tbsp Water
1 Large Egg (I used 2 TBS egg beaters and 2 TBS Calorie Countdown FF milk, but I will use the full egg beater next time)
1/4 tsp ACV
For microwave dishes:
Makes 2 servings
Spray Olive Oil (1 spray per ramekin)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spray each ramekin with olive oil spray into bottom of each ramekin and smear around with finger. Divide batter and place batter (cornbread consistency) into each ramekin. Microwave on high for 1min 10 seconds (Mine took longer, but I did check it at 1 min 10 seconds and went from there).

Toast in oven after microwaving in order to have a toasted flavor. (I split it after it cooled and pan toasted it instead using 1 tsp bacon grease)

Pooti's Comments:
I started at 1 minute and added 10 seconds to the cook time until they were moist and set but still a little glistening. Then I removed them from the micro and split them. I toasted the outsides then topped with my cheese and sliced pork loin and turkey sausage. I put them back in the toaster oven and toasted that while I made my hard fried eggs.

I topped the halves with an egg and made an incredible breakfast sandwich of pork loin, cheese, egg and also a turkey sausage version. These are great textured biscuits!!! The recipe made two biscuits. By toasting the outsides of the biscuits, it made them have a more biscuity texture without drying out the center too much. (I cut mine in half and pan toasted it in the same pan I cooked my egg beater, using 1 tsp of bacon grease instead)

I love the fact that these don't rely on a bunch of cheese to hold them together, nor do they have the oily feeling that the cheddar bay biscuit sub can sometimes have.

Adding the vinegar and sour cream took care of the flat taste. I do like the idea of the buttermilk but I didn't have any!

Beeb's Comments:
I LOVE this biscuit!! I will use the full serving of egg beaters next time and maybe 1 tsp to 1 tbs of protein powder or some gluc powder to get them to be less "delicate" but the taste is spot on to a biscuit from KFC!!

Here is the Nutritional Facts with my FF tweaks using the half egg beater/half FF milk:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 7
Calories 41....... If using the full serving of egg beaters add 11 calories to make up for the added egg beater (15 cals) and substracting the Calorie Countdown FF milk (4 cals).......making this version 52 Cals instead.

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.75g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.75g 4%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 60mg 2%
Potassium 24mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.76g 2%
Dietary Fiber 4.2g 17%
Sugars 1.32g
Protein 3.55g

Net Carbs: 2.56g

Last edited by Beeb; 09-15-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
One of Vanessa120's recipes.

. I think it would be a great DD recipe if a person used extra lean ground beef and skipped the oil:
This recipe doesnt actually use ground beef...though I think thats a great idea for an UD!

I make this quite often as a side dish...and it is really delicious...if you like couscous, it is almost identical in teture...my dh and kids were amazed to hear it was cauli

For a DD...just omit the oil!

I usually put a couple of caulis through my food processor...and keep a big bag of cauli "rice/couscous" in the fridge, ready to add to meals, or cook as a side dish.

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #736
Major LCF Poster!

Down Day Coffee & Cinnamon Muffins

I am beginning to think this DD OMM needs its own thread...the variations are growing!

This is my tweek of Beebs Spiced Apple Cider Muffin! Thanks Beeb!

I am still trying to get apple drink mix...so thought, what could I use instead?

Why not coffee? And cinnamon? One of my favourite combinations!

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber 0 Cals
1 T coffee powder 1 cal
1/2 tsp baking powder 0 Cals
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon (less or more to taste) 3 Cals for 1/2 tsp 6 Cals for 1 tsp
Good sprinkle of mixed spice 2 Cals
1/4 cup of erythritol (approx..I used a bit less and a few drops of stevia) 0 cals
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (use 1 full tsp if you want) 0 Cals

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites 30 Cals
1/2 cup very hot water 0 Cals
1 T reduced fat sour cream 15 cals
Splash of vanilla or hazelnut essence...whatever you like in your coffee, really!

Dissolve the coffee in the hot water...mix everything together and place in a large mug...I use 2 mini silicone loaf pans

Microwave for 2 - 2.5 mins.

It came out lovely and fluffy...very light. I got 2 mini loaves..you would get a HUGE muffin from this

According to ************ for the total mixture:

Cals 56, Fat 3.1, Carbs 12.4, Fiber 9.1, protein 7.8

Less than my cup of coffee and cream on an UD!

Hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"

Last edited by Joedi; 09-16-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

Chocolate Peanut Gluc Pudding

I was thinking of peanut M&M's today...at my highest weight I always had a large bag in my handbag...I kind of miss them sometimes...

As it is a DD...there was definately going to be a gluc pudding or two in my menu....I like a warm one as a kind of "cream of wheat" sub in the morning...and a cold one as a dessert in the evening!

So, I figured...lets have a peanut M&M gluc pudding!

I used 2T PB2 Peanut Powder, 1 T unsweetened Cocoa powder, 1/2 T skimmed milk powder (you could used fat free milk) 1 tsp gluc, and a few drops of liquid sweetner.

Mixed all the dry, and added a cup and a quarter water. ( I always add one cup cold, then the rest hot..it seems to help thicken the mixture without lumps!) Put it all in a little lock and lock tub, and shook until thick.

Was actually really nice warm..like a choc n peanut cream of wheat...but I put most of it in the fridge for supper.

The ingredient above worked out at 77 cal, 2.7 fat, 6 net carbs, 7.3 grams protein. You could cut cals and carbs by using the chocolate PB2!

hugs
Jo
x
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #738
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
DD WRAPS

somewhere on here is a recipe I did for psyllium pancakes. Today I experimented very successfully with psilli wraps.

1 Cup eggwhites
3 Tbs psillium powder
flavourings you like (I used a Tbs of pepper sauce)

get crepe or omlette pan hot, spray with PAM. put a glob of the mixture in the center of the pan, pick up the pan and rotate til it makes a tortilla shape. let sit til brown and flip. This recipe made 4 wraps for me. Just had a wrap with scrambled eggwhites and spinach. verrrrry filling for less than 50 calories--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
DD WRAPS

somewhere on here is a recipe I did for psyllium pancakes. Today I experimented very successfully with psilli wraps.

1 Cup eggwhites
3 Tbs psillium powder
flavourings you like (I used a Tbs of pepper sauce)

get crepe or omlette pan hot, spray with PAM. put a glob of the mixture in the center of the pan, pick up the pan and rotate til it makes a tortilla shape. let sit til brown and flip. This recipe made 4 wraps for me. Just had a wrap with scrambled eggwhites and spinach. verrrrry filling for less than 50 calories--
I've made wraps of the egg too, either just the whites or a mixed up whole egg.. back when I did strictly low carb. They really do make a completely functional wrap, or at least except I couldn't fold in the ends, LOL, but worked fine otherwise. Never made them with any husks in them though.

Thanks so much for posting this.

I notice you made yours for a *breakfast* wrap. I always did that for a breakfast flavored meal too, as I always felt the wraps were very definitely an egg flavor for most other uses, even flavored with other things. Does the psillium powder help hide the egg flavor?

Is this something that I could put oat fiber or glucomannan powder into, do you think?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #740
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well--the thing I like about the psyllium is that it is so neutral. You could also add a tbs of wheat bran--I didn't think they were eggy at all--more like a tortilla--I could see making them more "crepe" like by adding sweeteners, cinnamon, etc.

try them with the oatfiber/gluc and report back! I thought about the gluc, but these really don't seem to need it, because the texture is good--

I plan to have a turkey/veggie wrap on one for lunch--they really hold up to the innards very well--and for me, the soy taste in the LC wraps was a turnoff. These really do taste pretty yummy AND are super filling to boot--
Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #741
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

these are good! And so much bang for the buck! I made a lunchtime wrap with 3 thin slices of roast beef, baby spinach leaves, red pepper rings and horseradish spread--so yummy! I've missed wraps--

Also--Torani just came out with a SF cinnamon vanilla syrup (cinnamon dolce takeoff I think)--I plan to mix some with ff cream cheese, spread a wrap with this and slice a few strawberries on it--mmmm
Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #742

OK. I'm convinced to make some *egg* wraps once again, 'cause that wrap of sliced roast beef, etc. really sounds GREAT!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Beeb/Linda asked for this recipe. I will probably use it for DD grab and go breakfasts.

Oatmeal Bars

Ingredients:

1 cup Old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or any nuts you like)
1/4 cup raisins, chopped (they o further if you chop them)
1/4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds (or pumpkin, flax, sesame)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/4 cups unsweetened original almond milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (or sub 2 T SF vanilla torani syrup, if you want more sweetness)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350*
Mix dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients.
Pour wet into dry. Stir to combine.
Pour into a 9×9 baking dish either coated in cooking spray or lined with parchment.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Cut into 12 squares.

Nutritional info: Calories, 106.7; Total Fat, 5.9 g; Saturated Fat, 0.7 g; Polyunsaturated Fat, 3.5 g; Monounsaturated Fat, 1.0 g; Cholesterol, 15.4 mg; Sodium, 22.1 mg; Potassium, 96.1 mg; Total Carbohydrate, 9.5 g; Dietary Fiber, 1.6 g; Sugars, 3.1 g; Protein, 2.9 g

The only sweetness in these comes from the dried fruit, so you might want to add some sort of sweetener (if using real sugar 1/4 c brown is nice).

The variations are endless: dried cranberries, unsweetened coconut, pecans, pistachios, etc. You can replace part or all of the flax meal with protein powder. You can use chopped peanuts and add PB 2 for oatmeal peanut butter bars.
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #744

Ouizoid Low Fat and Low Cal Bran Muffin

This is Ouizoid's recipe that is on the main Recipe Help and Suggestions thread. Not sure if it's here somewhere so I just thought I should bring it over here for all to share. These are CRAZY amazing and I left out the Unprocessed Bran fiber sprinkles because I didn't have them and they still came out amazing!! Gotta Ouiz!! I put 2 TBS pumpkin in mine!

LF/LC Bran Muffins

Bran muffins--dry ingredients

1 C Bobs Wheat Bran 120 cals/16 net carbs
1/4 cup golden flaxmeal (120 cals)
1/4 cup oatfiber.
1/3 cup erythritol (I make Kevin's pseudo brown sugar E)
2 scoops (2/3 c?) protein powder(200 cals) (I used vanilla)
2 tsps glucomannan powder
1 tsp ea baking powder and baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unprocessed bran fiber sprinkles (I used GG Scandinavian brand available from netrition--but All Bran or Fiber one (or none at all) would be fine
spices to taste (I used cinnamon, ginger, and pumkin pie spice)
if desired, cut up some raisins or cranberries--or could add pumpkin

Wet ingredients

1/2 cup eggbeaters (50 cals)
Caramel or any flavour Davinci's syrup (I just poured some in til it looked right--I am so bad about measuring things:blush:--probably 1/2 cup or so??)
almond milk (just til texture is right--if it looks too thick, add a little more)--classic would be buttermilk, but i did not have any--

mix and let sit a minute or so. spoon into muffin cups and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or so--do NOT overcook (protein powder dries out easily). I had to throw away my first batch because I overcooked--second batch was perfect!

around 500 cals for the whole batch. My batch made 12 muffins, so 40 cals per muffin

EDIT TO SAY: My muffins came out to 45 Cals a muffin with the pumpkin and I decided to make 6 BIG ones instead of 12 regular sized muffins so my calorie count on the 6 is 90 calories! THIS is very doable on a DD for me!!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-24-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #745
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
This is Ouizoid's recipe that is on the main Recipe Help and Suggestions thread. Not sure if it's here somewhere so I just thought I should bring it over here for all to share. These are CRAZY amazing and I left out the Unprocessed Bran fiber sprinkles because I didn't have them and they still came out amazing!! Gotta Ouiz!! I put 2 TBS pumpkin in mine!

LF/LC Bran Muffins

Bran muffins--dry ingredients

1 C Bobs Wheat Bran 120 cals/16 net carbs
1/4 cup golden flaxmeal (120 cals)
1/4 cup oatfiber.
1/3 cup erythritol (I make Kevin's pseudo brown sugar E)
2 scoops (2/3 c?) protein powder(200 cals) (I used vanilla)
2 tsps glucomannan powder
1 tsp ea baking powder and baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unprocessed bran fiber sprinkles (I used GG Scandinavian brand available from netrition--but All Bran or Fiber one (or none at all) would be fine
spices to taste (I used cinnamon, ginger, and pumkin pie spice)
if desired, cut up some raisins or cranberries--or could add pumpkin

Wet ingredients

1/2 cup eggbeaters (50 cals)
Caramel or any flavour Davinci's syrup (I just poured some in til it looked right--I am so bad about measuring things:blush:--probably 1/2 cup or so??)
almond milk (just til texture is right--if it looks too thick, add a little more)--classic would be buttermilk, but i did not have any--

mix and let sit a minute or so. spoon into muffin cups and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or so--do NOT overcook (protein powder dries out easily). I had to throw away my first batch because I overcooked--second batch was perfect!

around 500 cals for the whole batch. My batch made 12 muffins, so 40 cals per muffin

EDIT TO SAY: My muffins came out to 45 Cals a muffin with the pumpkin and I decided to make 6 BIG ones instead of 12 regular sized muffins so my calorie count on the 6 is 90 calories! THIS is very doable on a DD for me!!
Ooh... these muffins look delicious! I can't wait to get my oat fiber!

Can you point me to the pseudo brown sugar E recipe?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
Ooh... these muffins look delicious! I can't wait to get my oat fiber!

Can you point me to the pseudo brown sugar E recipe?
I think it's in Kevinpa's sticky on the recipe page on this site or here: Lo-Carb Recipe Page (let the page load, takes a few seconds or so) I used the Ideal Brown Sugar Sub for this recipe. And I will tell you they are THE BOMB!!!

OMG, I sprinkled a little cinnamon/sugar sub on top before I baked them and the top is all crusty and !!!

THANKS OUIZOID FOR THIS RECIPE!!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-24-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #747
Senior LCF Member

Found it, Linda-- thanks!

Ouizoid, that muffin recipe looks amazing. Just as soon as my oat fiber arrives I am going to make a batch!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #748
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

so glad it was good Linda! Pumpkin bran muffins--those sound so amazing!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
so glad it was good Linda! Pumpkin bran muffins--those sound so amazing!
I had 1/2 a pumpkin donut yesterday at 150 calories and wanted to make something similar and remembered your recipe for these muffins! Added the pumpkin and they taste BETTER than the donut did! I am thinking about making this recipe in my donut pan next time!

I can't THANK YOU ENOUGH for this recipe! It's so Amazing!! AND the one big one I made has filled me up for hours!!

AND listen to Ouiz when she says NOT to overbake them. I almost did and if I had let them go 1 more minute they would have been too dry!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-24-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #750
Major LCF Poster!

Can I ask what the precooked mixture looked like, beeb?
Was it thick and dry, or more like cake batter? I made these before, and they were a little dry, and didnt rise much...my "mixture" was faily dry, and I am wondering if I need to add more liquid?
Thanks!

hugs
Jo
x