Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
January 2011--New Year with JUDDD

January 2011 JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day/Down Day Diet)
The following information has been copied from the JUDDD official website:

Getting Started
There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr Johnson's website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnson's site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management
The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow.

Diet Stress

Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood

We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day

On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day
It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight
How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

What People On The Diet Have To Say
“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.

“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.

“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.

“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.

For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Happy New Year JUDDDers!

Today is my weekly weigh day, and it was satisfying to finally see the scale below 160--158.5 this morning!

Of course, next weekend, I'm going on vacation to New Orleans, so I really want to cut back this week in preparation because I don't want to see the 160s again.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lora150
Stats: 242.8/217.2/150
Start Date: Sept 26, 2011
thyroidectomy

Hi Leo:

I have a question for you, after reading your post, I realized you too have thyroid problems. Here is my story. I lost 125 pounds with weight watchers, kept it off for 5 years, had my thyroid removed due to cancer, and now I have gained 75 pounds back! Weight watchers, which is an excellent program, just doesn't do it for me now. I can be on program for a week, go in and have gained. Heck I can and some time do gain several pounds over night. My levels are fine, and I actually feel great, except for the weight. I do take cytomel, for my T3.

My question, is will JUDDD work for me? I have tried everything!

What did you typically eat on a low day, on a high day?

Thanks so much!

Lora
Lora150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Good Morning and Happy New Year JUDDD'rs!

I've lost 11.5 pounds since December 5th using this plan. Woo Hoo! I have a weigh in on Monday to see if I've advanced farther down the scale. Hope everyone has a great weekend, UD or DD, whatever your day...make it a good one!

~Blonde
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Hi Lora-

If you know your levels are fine, then it could be that your metabolism is just slowed in general because of the thyroid issue. I don't know whether it's just my age (post-menopausal) or the combination of that with thyroid, but I do JUDDD mainly because I found that I can't lose unless I eat <1000 cal daily. Trying to do that on a daily basis was frustrating, and I often overate.

On JUDDD, I lost with 400 cal DDs and 1400 cal UDs. At my current weight, I don't lose unless I go lower--300-350 cal DDs and 1200 cal UDs. I only exercise on UDs.

Next month, I plan to try to maintain with 600 cal DDs and 1400 cal UDs, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to eat that much and maintain. I can drop my UDs to 1200 if necessary.

By the way, my endo loves this plan, and he agrees that my metabolism requires that I restrict calories like this.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
LEO! 158!? OMG! I am so impressed with you. Have a blast in NOLA--maybe have just a little etoufee on your UD, lol! Oh, and a po boy!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Thanks, Ouis. I love NOLA because it's such a foodie city, but it's also so very dangerous for eaters like me

Fortunately, the last time I went, I learned how 'forgiving' JUDDD is. After 4 super UDs in a row, I returned to do my regular alternation--and within a week not only lost what I'd gained but also another pound.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Wow Leo what a way to start the new year!!!!! I applaud you! May I ask if u did anything different this week?? Do u think it was the bigger bump in calories over Xmas or just patience??

Blondie WTg on your loss!! It must feel fantastic to start the new year losing
weight in the month of December instead of gaining !

Down day for me today. Going really well!

Have a great new year judders!!!

Last edited by JKat; 01-01-2011 at 11:52 AM..
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
LEO! 158!? OMG! I am so impressed with you. Have a blast in NOLA--maybe have just a little etoufee on your UD, lol! Oh, and a po boy!
I hate to feel stupid Oius. But what is etoufee??
Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Hi Jodi!

Étouffée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just delicious--a must have if you go to NOLA!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Happy New Year, JUDDDers!!

Wow Leo - That is absolutely amazing! Great job to weigh in so low on New Years Day!

Well, the holidays are finally over, and I feel I am ready to get on track. I have struggled this year, and ready to put the struggles behind me. I have made a couple changes that I feel are going to help me stay on track.

I have decided to really focus on being more positive. My husband swears by it, and he thinks that negative thinking attracts negativity in your life. I tend to be a negative thinker, but I always say I am just being realistic. I have decided to really try to give up the negative thinking. Hey, it can't hurt. This is just one of the changes I have made.

I gave up alcohol of every kind and last night really tested that, but I made it through! I brought in the New Year with my favorite bubbly, La Croiux (carbonated water).

Michelle

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Hello, ladies! I haven't begun JUDDD yet, but I'm on the verge. I just read all of the posts for December and thus far for January, and I'm going to give this a real go. I have been on Atkins for over a year and had been doing phenomenally, but lost my momentum when life threw me a major curve ball in August. I just haven't been able to get it back, and I've gained back a bunch of what I'd lost. I have tried and tried, but I have to admit that the magic has gone.

I can't deal with the restrictiveness of Atkins right now. It's not do-able for life. When every time I eat or drink something not allowed, I'm "cheating" and then go through the whole "You're a weak-willed slob" kind of mental beating. I'm so done with that. I want to see how the other half lives.

So, I will be jumping into my first DD, probably on Monday. I have such hope and excitement again, and believe I can do this. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
I think I'd like to join in your thread as well if you all are okay with it. I'm not doing JUDDD *exactly*, more of a JUDDD-inspired plan. I've been doing what I am starting to call my MWF diet. I tried alternating days and weekends just did not work for me. I do very low-calorie on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I don't do as low as JUDDD would suggest even, just very low for me, more like 800-1000 calories a day.

It's been working for me. My targeted weight loss is fairly modest, I'm aiming for one pound a week (I don't do well with too much deprivation) and I've been slightly ahead of meeting my goals for both November and December, though December was much closer with the holiday eating - I didn't get in enough down days in between Christmas and New Years.

I've been lurking in this thread for the last two months, I found it when I returned to the board after I started my calorie cycling diet. I've enjoyed reading about all your strategies and tips for sticking with this plan. It's been very helpful.

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Cheryl and welcome!! Judd is very forgiving. U can go out for that special occasion and not end the night beating yourself up. Do an FYI remember not to weigh yourself after an up day. Your weight may fluctuate alot.

Hi Valerie. Welcome to Judd. Yes u r doing Judd. It's about the calorie cycling. If u go on dr johnsons site u can do 30-40 less on your down days and still see results. I am a firm believer that u do what works for u. U will find that our approaches here can be very different.

For me I like to fast all day then have a small meal on my down days. Leo (who is an inspiration to us all with her success!!!) prefers to spread her down day calories through out the day. Both ways work it's what u feel comfortable with. It may be a trial and error at th beginning to see what suits u best!

My challeng is my up days and I am in th process of try out how best to maintain my weight. I need to stay away from sweets!! It's such a trigger for me!!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Hi Jodi!

Étouffée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just delicious--a must have if you go to NOLA!

Wow that dish looks amazing!!!! Leo u may be packing me and the cat. Lol!!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #16
Senior LCF member

Jodie- It could have been a combination of things that pushed below 160. First of all, I was 'hovering' around 160 the entire month of December, so it's possible that I had some loss that wasn't yet showing on the scales.

Secondly, I got a cold on Christmas Day, and I tend to retain water anytime I'm even slightly ill, so I may have already been around 159 but, again, it wasn't showing on the scale. On Thurs. and Friday, I was feeling fine and also found myself pee-ing a lot, and that may have been my 'illness water retention' finally leaving.

Third, my big Christmas UD, including a lot of carbs, supposedly (from what I've read) increases one's leptin and encourages loss. From Christmas Day on, I was very careful with calories, keeping my DDs to about 300 and UDs of no more than 1200. I always do that after a "big UD," and it helps.

Michelle-On the positive thinking. I read an article a while back that reported the most successful people in terms of weight loss and maintaining loss were those who were always positive about their experience! It makes sense because I think that deprivation mentality sinks a lot of people, and that can't creep in if a person remains positive.

Cheryl & Valerie No need to do "pure" JUDDD--we all have to find what works best for our bodies and our temperament. There's research that shows calorie cycling is helpful, regardless of the numbers involved. I hope you find this works well for you.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
This is just a great way to get 2011 off and running! I love New Year's, don't you? Today is a DD for us. Yesterday I cooked a lot and had company. So, I did OK for most of the day. Then I had to work until 11pm. That late night eating when I get home has got to stop. Iate 'lunch' and then ate dinner after 11pm. I'm going to have to work on that schedule of eating when I work late and come home hungry on my UP. I work PT, and I don't eat at work. So, I'm going to work on better control on my UP as far as late night eating goes.
Today, on my DD I keep it simple, Atkins shakes. Total <500 cal. I really like the way my DD makes me feel.
I just read some info on IF and it reminded me of why this JUDD is so attractive...it is a very healthy way to live. It's really not that hard to do, is it?
I did have a sort-of 2UP Christmas Feast. But, it was easy for me to jump right back on plan. Now, that's something new! And I didn't beat myself up for having the Christmas Feast! This is a BIG positive for this plan.
Hope you all have a wonderful day today. Thank You, Leo for getting us all set up for 2011. I'm expecting great things!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
congrats on getting below 160 Leo.

good morning to you all. and welcome to anyone new.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Big Yapper!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm excited about beginning JUDDD soon. I want to be prepared for success, so I really need to make a list of low cal things I can eat and drink on the DD's. Is there a list of such foods anywhere on LCF or elsewhere on the internet? It would be great to have. I will buy some of the Atkin's shakes and bars, but I agree with the person who wrote that they can get carried away with those bars.

Do any of you incorporate wine or other liquor into your UD's? I am looking forward to doing that, and not having any on the DD's.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
Senior LCF member

Cheryl-
If you look around here among "Other Plans," you should find a thread "DD menus" as well as one for "DD recipes." They will give you a good idea of what many different people eat on DDs.

As to alcohol, JUDDD is all about calorie cycling, and supposedly it doesn't matter what you eat or drink within your calorie range. As I was losing, I stopped drinking wine, mainly because I have to severely restrict calories in order to lose, and I didn't want to waste any on alcohol.

However, I lose fine when I drink wine with dinner, as long as I stay within my calorie limits. But everyone is different, and you just have to see how things work for you.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Leo. I did do an advanced search and found all the other JUDDD threads. I am glad there is so much out there to learn, but I don't plan on cooking on the DD's. I am looking for ideas for simple foods that I can just grab and go. I am going to enjoy my DD as a day off from the kitchen.

I guess I'll just have to learn as I go, and get familiar with the calories in foods again. I have focused on carbs for so long that calories are pretty foreign to me.

I have another question. I was looking at the JUDDD website and reading everything I could find, but I didn't see anything that says a person needs to count calories on the UD. Is that something people do as they go along, to speed things up? I am looking forward to only doing the actual calorie counting every other day, when I'm staying at 500 or less. I won't binge or go overboard, but I want to see if it really works the way the diet says it will.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lora150
Stats: 242.8/217.2/150
Start Date: Sept 26, 2011
I am starting tomorrow, Jan 3rd, with my first dd. My husband is going to try it with me. He doesn't need to lose any weight, and can eat whatever he wants, but he is so supportive of me! Thanks for all your post, and all the information you share!

Lora
Lora150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Hi everyone
I am starting JUDD tomorrow as well. I will do the shakes or maybe brothy soups for the induction period and then move on to foods after the two weeks. I fasted for over 24 hours last weekend and found that I liked how light and energetic I felt during the fast. I didn't really set out to do a fast but it just sort of happened mostly because it was the day after Christmas and I was full from the big dinner and dessert. I have also been struggling to stay on plan lately due to feeling deprived and having diet burn out. I am hoping UP/DD may be what I need to keep me on track and feeling well.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning judders!!

Cheryl.... No there is no specific calorie limit however he date not to intentionally over eat. This sound great and it is but I stuggle with not letting up days get out of control.

Lora.... I too have a very supportive Hubby!!

Jean... I love the light feeling I get on my dd. Like Leo mentioned there is some thread on some menus and exercise. I personally like to fast all day and then have one meal in the eve. This works for me. Others here spread there calories out throughout the day. You have to see what makes u feel most comfortable

Down day for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #25
Senior LCF member

Cheryl- As Jodi explained, there's really no "official" calorie counting on UDs. However, I need to count because I have special needs in terms of calories. You probably should also know that some people who have tried this found that they tended to binge on UDs. If you can eat 'normally,' you should be fine.

Jean- I've followed your posts on the Main Lobby and wonder why you're doing something as restrictive as JUDDD when you admit that you're 'burned out' from dieting? JUDDD is no walk in the park!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Hi everyone, I'm sad to say I'm back in here, since I had an ectopic pregnancy and surgery on Sunday. Today is a DD for me, and I'm starting the year at 174.5. That's up 10.5 pounds since I found out I was pregnant, but I think some of that is water weight. We'll see.
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

so sorry!!

I do agree alot of the gain is water
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eok2008
Stats: 324/316/169
WOE: CAD
Start Date: Restart CAD 11/29/2011
I too am restarting with DD today.
eok2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentagirl13 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm sad to say I'm back in here, since I had an ectopic pregnancy and surgery on Sunday. Today is a DD for me, and I'm starting the year at 174.5. That's up 10.5 pounds since I found out I was pregnant, but I think some of that is water weight. We'll see.
so sorry
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #30
Big Yapper!

I see I'm in good company. I'm not the only one on their first day of JUDDD! That's so cool. I haven't had anything other than water yet, but I plan to have something before too long. I'll probably start out with herbal tea or chicken broth and see how long I can go without something solid in my stomach.

Today is the first day of the rest of our lives! If you are like me and had regained some weight that you worked so hard to lose, let's not beat ourselves up over it. What's past is past. All that matters is what we do with today.

Thanks everyone, for welcoming us newbies into your flock. I can see you are a kind and patient group and we thank you.