Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi/
Took Mom home yesterday after 6 weeks.Today Im starting to really watch what and how [I eat.Today I think I will use this day as a up day but still stay around 1200 cals.Have to go in and make me tea. Also made me grilled chicken breast to go with salad, Going to have soup and 2 rice cakes.{Soon
Got on scale and 1Olbs more.I know as we age we are to eat less calaries. But it is more of the types of food we eat and protion size and to move that body. That counts.
Im on my way now. so be watching for me to catch up.ha.
kind
kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #152
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
kind, I know when I first heard that the older folks just plainly didn't burn up the calories like they did when they were younger I didn't think much about it, but now that I AM one of the older folks, it makes me really ticked off!

Well, we're all here with our goals before us. Your Medium Day today instead of a full Up Day sounds like a good idea. I'm doing a MD today also, and I'm also doing salads. My DH said he's never seen anybody who likes salads as much as I do, and it's true. I love them! So today I'm having one for each meal. LOL

Salad with chopped tomato and chopped egg for breakfast.
Salad with chunked up chicken breast and dried cranberries & walnuts for lunch.
Salad with baked tilapia fillets and diced apple for supper.

Maybe that will hold me for salads for awhile.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #153

JKat, I'm one of the newer JUDDDers here too. I just like to read a lot, and I've done the lower calories-intermittent fasting type diets in the past and always liked that way of eating. I used to use portion control just out of habit, and then somewhere along the line I got in the bad habit of overeating.

And I think, just speaking for myself here, that trying to do quite low carb over these years has just added so much to my overeating. I was never one who obtained much appetite suppression on low carb, so small portions didn't make me feel full, and since it was basically limited to so few food items, only those that had very low or no carb counts, it also left me quite unsatisfied after awhile. There are only so many servings of yet another casserole featuring, yet again, ground meat and the green beans or broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage, etc. with cheese that I could take. LOL It was so very much better for me when I went into maintenance and was able to eat at a higher carb level.

I've read the studies and articles relating to calorie restriction for years, so I know basically the *hows* to it. And it's really so simple that I really only needed to know the calorie numbers for this concept of Dr. Johnson's.

I love the concept of using two days of large calorie opposites to bring down overall calorie consumption in a manner that the higher calorie day has some room for either a bit more food, or a bit more of the traditional No-No foods... a way of eating that makes calorie reduction for weight loss less of an ongoing thing that stretches forever into the future without a bite of chocolate in site! and makes weight maintenance so much easier while allowing for the inclusion of the culinary delights of the world!

Definitely, for myself, this concept is an absolute winner! And the additional promise/speculation of the activation of my *skinny gene* to increase my natural metabolic rate would be wonderful too! Oh, and the longer lifespan at increased levels of health is a good incentive too, don't you agree?!!!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-09-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Any of you former or present binge eaters? I was talking with someone about this WOE and they seem to think that eating this way is setting me up for a binge. I don't know low carb never has stopped me from binging entirely, so I don't know that this would really be any worse??
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #155
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Jeaniem, I never had trouble with binge eating on Atkins, but that's because it was the simple carbs in my old WOE that made me binge. So far, I haven't been eliminating anything other than calories from my plan and it definitely is a challenge to not binge on up days. But the dd is no trouble at all. From what I've been reading, the up day sounds like a greater challenge for many of us JUDDDers.

But, I can't live in a LC bubble anymore. I have to learn how to live in the real world, and that world eats carbs. So, for the first time in my life, I am going to learn to control my inner child, and learn to tell myself NO, and "You've had enough for one day."

Isn't that what we all need to learn? Let's exercise that muscle together!

I don't know what it is about declaring I'm going to do well with diet etc but I become an automatic time bomb. It's time to bow out altogether. I have to do something entirely different, like GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.

I think it's time to make that change. Hoping all of you have the greatest of success. PM me if you wish to stay in touch. God bless each of you. I know where you can be found.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Any of you former or present binge eaters? I was talking with someone about this WOE and they seem to think that eating this way is setting me up for a binge. I don't know low carb never has stopped me from binging entirely, so I don't know that this would really be any worse??
I would never consider myself a classic binge eater ever, but I could certainly polish off a package of cookies in an evening! Especially if DH had a few of them.

I suppose everyone has to use their own best judgement about any eating plan, but this one seems so open as to the foods that you can eat, that I don't see how anyone would feel they were being held to a tight restricted food list, therefore eventually feel the overpowering need to eat *those other things*. There's no such thing as a food that is a *cheat*.. no NO-NO foods, etc. Nothing is off limits. It's up to you to eat as you wish. All it requires is that you eat within certain calorie limitations. And calorie limitations are either followed just naturally for most people, or those people grow to become overweight and even obese and beyond. That's pretty much the only two ways that works. The fact that so many of us didn't pay any attention to our natural calorie limitations is why we are here! LOL

So whether on UDs or DDs, on JUDDD you are free to design your own menus, using the foods your own heart likes the very best. There is really no such thing as a *cheat* food as it is all allowed if you want to calculate it in, calorie-wise.

Any diet is open to the follower eating far beyond their body's need for nutrition.. not only just overeating, but going for a binge! If somebody is compelled to binge, I believe it is usually on the foods they *aren't supposed* to eat much of.. otherwise we just call it overeating. LOL We all know the foods that are considered fattening and that are carb laden.

And as to the low calorie Down Days of this plan, I would just say that there are certain restrictions of one sort or another with any eating plan that has an actual design. So if you are following any kind of real plan, I guess you just choose to follow it, or you just go off and eat however you want to, without any plan at all. But that's what most of us were doing, which is what caused most of us to be here! In other words, that didn't work very well for us either.

Only you, or any of us, can decide whether we are going to want to binge, but I would think it would rarely really be caused by the eating plan somebody was on. I just think it is hard to lose weight, and some people don't want to.. really aren't just quite ready to.. do what it takes. It is never actually considered a very fun thing to do. But at least with the JUDDD plan, the Up Days can be absolutely delicious and delightful and fulfilling (food wise) as you could wish while still being on a diet! And when you stop to think about it, that's really something!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-09-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #157
Big Yapper!

I hesitate to write this, but that's plain stupid in and of itself. This board is for giving and receiving help, so I have to say this. Today is the 7th day on JUDDD and it's getting increasingly harder, rather than easier. I'm learning more of what NOT to do than what TO do.

Today was my 4th DD and I decided not to eat at all, if I could manage that. (I used to be able to do that, for several days, in fact.) I drank lots of water and kept my mind occupied. I chewed on some sugarless Trident gum and all was hunky dorey. But around dinner time, I started getting really hungry. Like SPASM hungry. So I had an Avocado with salt. When on LC, that would have been more than enough to hold me.

But that didn't cut it and ever since I've been struggling with whether to make this a MD or another UD or to say screw this and just be fat for the rest of my life. If I'm going to count calories, why not just strike a happy medium and follow those calorie restrictions on a daily basis? I know what you're going to say. About the health beni's and the SIRT1 gene. All that sounds wonderful, but if I can't stick to the plan, what's the point?

Help! Is anyone else struggling with this the way I am? I thought this was supposed to get easier, not harder. I had so much hope, but it's fading fast.

(PS: I can't really afford to pay for diet shakes and bars and such, so that's why I've been doing real food from the start. Is that my problem????)
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
I hesitate to write this, but that's plain stupid in and of itself. This board is for giving and receiving help, so I have to say this. Today is the 7th day on JUDDD and it's getting increasingly harder, rather than easier. I'm learning more of what NOT to do than what TO do.

Today was my 4th DD and I decided not to eat at all, if I could manage that. (I used to be able to do that, for several days, in fact.) I drank lots of water and kept my mind occupied. I chewed on some sugarless Trident gum and all was hunky dorey. But around dinner time, I started getting really hungry. Like SPASM hungry. So I had an Avocado with salt. When on LC, that would have been more than enough to hold me.

But that didn't cut it and ever since I've been struggling with whether to make this a MD or another UD or to say screw this and just be fat for the rest of my life. If I'm going to count calories, why not just strike a happy medium and follow those calorie restrictions on a daily basis? I know what you're going to say. About the health beni's and the SIRT1 gene. All that sounds wonderful, but if I can't stick to the plan, what's the point?

Help! Is anyone else struggling with this the way I am? I thought this was supposed to get easier, not harder. I had so much hope, but it's fading fast.

(PS: I can't really afford to pay for diet shakes and bars and such, so that's why I've been doing real food from the start. Is that my problem????)
OK. First of all, are you measuring our or weighing out your food portions on DDs? Are you entering everything into ****** (or some program) so you know exactly how many calories you are eating on DDs?

During the last decade of your life, when are the *hungry* times of the day for you? Are you a person who wakes up just famished? Do you have no appetite whatsoever until midday? Are you a person who can even go well into the afternoon with little real appetite turning into hunger?

What about in the evenings? Are you one who is satisfied with nothing after supper? You eat that evening meal and then you're done? Or are you one who starts getting the munchies within 30 minutes of supper and want to snack all evening long?

Next, WHAT are you eating on your DDs? Are you trying to keep it low carb as well as low calorie? Are you trying to keep to proteins and not do veggies, or are you trying to do plenty of veggies? What foods do you choose for the DDs?

Maybe we can offer some suggestions if we know exactly how you have been proceeding to this point.

No diet plan is right for everyone, but the advantages of this one are such that I hope you will try to find a way to stick with it.

Looking forward to your reply and answers. Hang in there. We'll get this fixed!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #159
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
OK. First of all, are you measuring our or weighing out your food portions on DDs? Are you entering everything into ****** (or some program) so you know exactly how many calories you are eating on DDs?

During the last decade of your life, when are the *hungry* times of the day for you? Are you a person who wakes up just famished? Do you have no appetite whatsoever until midday? Are you a person who can even go well into the afternoon with little real appetite turning into hunger?

What about in the evenings? Are you one who is satisfied with nothing after supper? You eat that evening meal and then you're done? Or are you one who starts getting the munchies within 30 minutes of supper and want to snack all evening long?

Next, WHAT are you eating on your DDs? Are you trying to keep it low carb as well as low calorie? Are you trying to keep to proteins and not do veggies, or are you trying to do plenty of veggies? What foods do you choose for the DDs?

Maybe we can offer some suggestions if we know exactly how you have been proceeding to this point.

No diet plan is right for everyone, but the advantages of this one are such that I hope you will try to find a way to stick with it.

Looking forward to your reply and answers. Hang in there. We'll get this fixed!
I measure everything. I have a postal scale and document everything on Fit Day. In fact, I bought the desktop version of Fit Day and I'm using it even on UD's.

I'm not eating LC at all. I am rebounding from Atkins and I'm trying so hard to not do this LC. I want to be free from those restrictions, if I can be. If I can't be, then I don't see why I should be putting myself through additional turmoil. At least with Atkins, I had no hunger (when in ketosis.)

I am most hungry and most interested in eating in the evenings. I can go all day long without food, especially when I'm running around. The evenings are my problem time. Sad fact of the matter is, that if I don't save my meager calories for the evening, that when I'm getting into trouble on JUDDD. I tried to correct that today, but I only got as far as dinner time.

So far on my DD's, I've had canned chicken noodle or rice soup, instant plain oatmeal with water and craisins, Low fat/calorie microwave popcorn (the 100 cal. bags,) instant cappucino's and a very occasional O'Douls fake beer, pumpkin seeds, herb tea with liquid splenda, plain chicken broth, and one day I had a bowl of home made soup (the only time I ate or drank anything on a DD where I didn't know the exact calorie count.)

I haven't had all of these things in the same day, but that is a comprehensive list of everything I've eaten on DD's in the first week (including today.)

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me to sort this out. I really want to make this work! God knows how I want this to work.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #160

Quote:
I measure everything. I have a postal scale and document everything on Fit Day. In fact, I bought the desktop version of Fit Day and I'm using it even on UD's.

I'm not eating LC at all. I am rebounding from Atkins and I'm trying so hard to not do this LC. I want to be free from those restrictions, if I can be. If I can't be, then I don't see why I should be putting myself through additional turmoil. At least with Atkins, I had no hunger (when in ketosis.)

I am most hungry and most interested in eating in the evenings. I can go all day long without food, especially when I'm running around. The evenings are my problem time. Sad fact of the matter is, that if I don't save my meager calories for the evening, that when I'm getting into trouble on JUDDD. I tried to correct that today, but I only got as far as dinner time.

So far on my DD's, I've had canned chicken noodle or rice soup, instant plain oatmeal with water and craisins, Low fat/calorie microwave popcorn (the 100 cal. bags,) instant cappucino's and a very occasional O'Douls fake beer, pumpkin seeds, herb tea with liquid splenda, plain chicken broth, and one day I had a bowl of home made soup (the only time I ate or drank anything on a DD where I didn't know the exact calorie count.)

I haven't had all of these things in the same day, but that is a comprehensive list of everything I've eaten on DD's in the first week (including today.)

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me to sort this out. I really want to make this work! God knows how I want this to work.
Well, I think part of the reason you are hungry is that you aren't eating much! I know some folks here don't eat much quantity of food on their DDs, but I have to at this early stage of my JUDDD experience, and I think we may be pretty much alike in how our appetites and 'mental hunger' operates later in the day and evening.

I tried to go back and find a few of the early meals I fixed for myself, but couldn't find them. I'll keep looking.

Also, do you cook? Don't laugh, but some people don't really do much actual cooking with the required preparations of the veggies, meats, etc.

Another thing. Are you on an extremely tight food budget or do you have a more comfortable bit of money to work with? Sometimes I'm able to buy more shrimp/steak kind of foods, and sometimes I'm just making due with chicken, chicken, chicken. Good thing I love it! LOL

Do you drink tea? Or coffee? Black? Do you need creamer? Diet soda? Iced tea?

Don't give up hope. We'll figure something out. I use a postal scale too as it is certainly accurate enough and has a good size to put stuff for weighing.

It seems like - at least in the early first weeks of JUDDD - you might be as comfortable as is going to be possible by starting eating in the first half of the afternoon but not too close to noon.. say maybe about 1:30 or so. And then hold off on supper until about 6:30. And then have saved a bit more for another evening snack later on. Times to be shifted even later than this if that's workable and is tolerable.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #161
Big Yapper!

I'm on a very tight budget, but I do have a fairly ample supply of meat in the old freezer, from my Atkins days. And I was cooking on Atkins, because there was no simple processed food choices to just grab and eat (so it was a much healthier WOE for me, compared to how I'm eating now.)

I drink herbal tea with liquid splenda. I like coffee, but I can't drink it black. On Atkins, I was drinking a home made creamer made with LWC and Davinci's syrups. Definately not low calorie, though. So I don't drink coffee at all on DD's. I detest diet soda. Iced tea is great, but unless I make it home made, there again, it's the money factor.

I will do some research into low calorie recipes. It's totally foreign to me, though. LC? No problem! I can snatch up a wonderful LC recipe, pronto. Low Cal is going to be a whole different ball game.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #162

OK, Cheryl.. here is an example of what I've fixed for myself. Does anything like this appeal to you?

A huge, HUGE veggie stirfry:
8 oz. broccoli florets
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 oz. carrot, sliced diagonal
1 oz. onion, sliced
9 oz. green pepper, 1" chunks

use just Pam-type spray on a LARGE non-stick pan to just cook veggies to tender/crisp stage. Top with 2 or 3 tablespoons of good soy sauce or oyster sauce. This would be around 225 to 230 calories, depending on your sauce.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #163
Big Yapper!

Actually, that sounds yummy, but a bit lacking on the fat. If I added a little bacon or something, maybe that would do it for the night!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #164

And then there are BIG, BIG salads! They take a lot of poking around with the fork and chewing and chewing. Salads take a long time to eat, so are really filling after all that time. Lettuces of various kinds are all very low in calories, of course, so you can heap a casserole bowl with lettuce for only a few calories. 8 ounces of lettuce and 8 ounces of spring greens give you a POUND!!! of lettuce at only about 70-75 calories! Then add about 4 ounces of chicken breast (boneless/skinless) sliced in thin slices, slice in some cucumber, a couple of green pepper rings, some purple onion slices, about half a tomato or so, depending on how much it weighed, maybe sprinkle on a bit of chopped pecans, a few fresh blueberries, and then use the lowest calorie diet Italian dressing (or your choice) that you can find. I buy Aldi's low calorie Italian dressing and it is only 35 calories for TWO tablespoons. I love it. Sprinkle with salt and ground pepper. Maybe some turmeric.

You can even make crispy croutons for your salad by just using 1/2 slice of low calorie bread (lite bread) which is only 40 calories per slice. Use just half of one slice, toast it, spray each side very lightly with Pam cooking spray, cut the toast into squares, and sprinkle the croutons with Italian seasonings, or maybe just garlic salt or whatever you want. Bake them in the over for several minutes to crisp them up even more. Probably not more than 25 calories or so, but a lot of added 'crunch' on your salad, and the salad is so big that it takes half an hour to eat it.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #165

Quote:
Actually, that sounds yummy, but a bit lacking on the fat. If I added a little bacon or something, maybe that would do it for the night!
On the Down Days, I don't try to get in fat. In fact, I try to keep fat to a tight minimum because of it being so high in calories. I do fats on my UDs, but not on my DDs. I use up too many of my precious few DD calories if I do fat on that day too. I'd rather use my calories for more low fat veggie FOOD! LOL

But I know there are folks here who do keep their fat percentages higher on their DDs too and just eat less food, so there are certainly differing ways to get through the DDs. I just can't include much fat on those days as I 'spend' my calories too fast that way.

Maybe others will pop in to let you know some of the ways they eat on DDs. Especially those who use a high portion of their calorie allotment on fats.

---

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention. I drink a lot of cups of HOT tea in the morning, and a lot of glasses of iced tea in the afternoons. That really keeps me feeling fuller.

Another trick is to drink a mug of HOT salt water. If your body doesn't retain water from salt, this makes your taste buds and stomach and brain think you are enjoying hot soup, but no calories whatsoever. (But not if you're a person who is inclined to retain water.)
Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Just a quick post to thank all of you for your suggestions and advice regarding JUDD.
I have decided that it is not the program for me due to my binging history.
Best wishes to all of you.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #167

Quote:
Just a quick post to thank all of you for your suggestions and advice regarding JUDD.
I'm sorry to see you go, but I know you've done this for six days so got a taste of what it entails. You have to make the decisions you think are right for you.

Good luck and my very best wishes that you find the way of eating that works for you and fills your body with good health as it slims you to where you're feeling most comfortable.

This certainly isn't a program that will suit all. I'll look for you over on the Main Lobby!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #168
Big Yapper!

Sounds great, Sohappy! I love salads but I've yet to find a low calorie dressing that doesn't taste low cal. I'll look into those Aldi's ones you mentioned. I've also heard of ones from some other costco-type shopping center (Trader Joes?) which has good dressings. I'd have to drive a ways to get to one of those (like an hour away.) But, maybe it'd be worth the drive to stock up.

I guess this is just going to take a major adjustment on my part. It's the exact opposite of LC. Atkins was very limiting, but it was safe. I'm not accustomed to freedom. I feel all alone out there, amidst all those foods! Maybe after a while I'll be able to find a happy medium between the two plans. I know on LC my hunger was nil. But I just want to be able to live a normal life, to the best of my ability! I'm sure you understand.

Time to end this day and put it behind me. Thanks again, so much.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #169
Big Yapper!

Bye, Jeaniem. I hope I didn't scare you off. Maybe you've been struggling, too. I don't think any of us can master anything in a week's time. We all have to battle our own demons. There's no place to run, no place to hide. It's so hard, but we have to overcome these weaknesses!

Blessings, wherever you land.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Hey Cheryl..Hang in there..Like sohappy said we will help u figure it. This is such a big adjustment from what u where doing.

Okay on my DD I do not get alot of calories. I am around 360 but remember that this is by choice for me. I am in a bit of differant place trying to figure out how best I want to maintain my weight. My usual meal on down days is a huge salad with veggies. I will buy a whole bag of lettuce and add to it what ever veggies I have in the house. I usually put in two hard boiled eggs and this does seem to hold me to the next day. I also want to u to remember that at this pt in the week for u that increase hunger may be your body fighting to give up that weight. Just a thought. Okay back to what I eat.. I am addicted to diet soda. I drink it and it really helps me get past that hunger pang. It does not go away it just not so strong. That does not seem like it will wk for u because u do not like soda. I also drink alot of tea and coffee. I do put a couple of splashes of almond milk in each cup. One whole cup is 40calories. I have to admit to u that I never counted this. Wrong but it worked for me. Also the DD do get easier. Your body does adjust to it. Now leo is not here but she eats breakfast lunch and dinner. She does not like going all day without eating. This is a personl preferance but not need to be followed. U can put your calories throughout the day. She is on vacation but take a peek at our old threads and u will find her menu for the day. That may help and its opposite of what I do.

Now I know u r frustrated. I not sure if my dd help u. I stuggle more with my UDays and trying to figure out how to eat not feel guilty but enjoy life and find some balance. I need balance in my crazy life!! Lol u know how it is to be a nurse!

I do have a question and maybe u answered it and I missed. U and sohappy where wrighting a novel to each other..LOL!!! You seemed to be doing so well..What happened. Do u know?? Was it just this one hungry day or do u feel like this has been a real stuggle all week and finally had it.

I also want to mention to u and just keep it in the back of your mind. There are very similiar plans for fasting/feasting or calories cycling or what ever u want to call it. If u feel that that part works for u but you need maybe more guildlines as to hours to eat ect there are some things we can give u to explore. I am looking into the fast 5 on my UP days. What I have found is unfortunatly I am like a switch. All or nothing gal. So having a start and stop time may help me and I am trying a bit of it. Not really the 5hours that fast 5 says but I time to eat and time to stop.

Lots of hugs!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
I hope u find what works for u. Good luck.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #172
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm back from my weekend and have to get into this discussion because I'm afraid that people are getting off track with JUDDD. I don't like to seem the 'authority,' but I've not only been doing JUDDD for over 2 years, but I've seen folks come and go here, and I've seen the problems they experience with JUDDD.

Jean-I'm sorry I wasn't here to respond to your initial question about binge eating. If you're still reading, you're probably right to leave JUDDD because several former posters with binge eating problems found that JUDDD brought on their old ways--i.e., they found themselves bingeing on UDs very frequently. This is a very poor plan for anyone with a history of ED.

Cheryl- First of all, your dissatisfaction with the amount you lost is misguided. The 'big' loss is NOT at the beginning of any plan; it's only when people abandon carbs and get into ketosis for the first time. That's when the body dumps a lot of water, and people can experience a big loss--mainly water. On any other plan, you lose at a similar rate throughout. In addition, scientists say that the human body can lose a maximum of 2 lbs of fat a week--anything beyond that is either water (as with low carb) or muscle (which you want to avoid as much as possible).

I was already eating low carb when I began JUDDD, and I've lost about a pound a week fairly regularly. In my experience with other posters here, JUDDD doesn't promote any bigger losses than other plans; it's just designed to prevent the 'burn out' of most diets via the UDs and the benefits of IF with the DDs.

Secondly, if you have difficulty with DDs, trying to fast completely seems (to me) counter productive. I know you don't want to do low carb, but I doubt that I could do DDs if I were not eating low carb. Personally, I need the appetite suppression. And I think low carb is a very healthy way to eat.

Because I think it's important to maintain muscle by eating sufficient protein, I emphasize protein on DDs, and that seems to help control my appetite--to some extent. I don't claim to have no hunger on DDs!

However, you also might look at artificial sweeteners. I never thought I had any problem with AS, but when I began JUDDD, it was obvious from the restriction of DDs, that any AS increased my appetite. My body seems to respond to them in that way. So that may be why you're having appetite control issues on DDs.

That's not to say DDs are 'easy.' I have some that are, but even after doing this for so long, I have DDs that I have to 'white knuckle' to get through. And I find that I can't anticipate which kind I'll have.

Then there was the UD discussion that bothered me. According to "official" JUDDD, no one has to count calories on UDs, and several people on this board have lost weight successfully on JUDDD without counting. Personally, I need to restrict calories so much that it's necessary for me to count, and I think that everyone has to find their own comfort level with UDs. To count or not is a personal decision.

A lot of our posters found that they tended to binge on UDs and had to rein themselves in because they were not losing. There's no magic to JUDDD; it is a calorie cycling plan, and there is a lot of evidence that it helps to cycle calories rather than consume the same amount each eay. However, unless a person is operating at a calorie deficit, he/she won't lose. And that's why people have to see what works for them on UDs.

I hope this clarifies some things and doesn't confuse things further!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Morning everyone! I'm down a pound after yesterday. Today is a UD, and I'm just getting ready to have my coffee. I got some peppermint coffee from Trader Joe's and I hope it's good!

It's a snow day here. It's snowing even harder now, and when I got up it looked like we already had about three inches, which is a lot of us down here in SC! Max is happy that he doesn't have to go to school, but hasn't yet asked to go out in the snow.

Not much going on today. I have a lot of good food from my shopping trip this weekend, and I'll be enjoying some of that today.

Carrollee

magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #174

Good Morning, Everyone! Had a good MD yesterday and believe I'll do about that level again today, then back to a DD tomorrow to get into the schedule I need to be on these next days.

We'll have lunch locally with DH's visiting son this noon at a fun little pub that has wonderful salads, but I always tuck a bottle of my own favorite dressing in my purse and try to not be seen when I put a bit on my salad. :blush: And I'm think of ordering a low carb/low cal beer. That will make it a festive enough luncheon for me. LOL

Starting a new FlyLady week in the kitchen today, and later I'll pick up my sister and take her shopping and around for her errands. Our snow is about 50% melted and all the roads are completely clear. Temp is only in the 20s, so crispy, but we just dress warmly and head out and have fun.

Hope you all have a great day and great success with your calorie levels today, whether UD or DD.

Leo, I'll bet you had a fun weekend! A change of pace helps break up the monotony of winter.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-10-2011 at 06:39 AM..
Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
Cheryl, I just want to make one little suggestion to you, since you're having trouble finding a salad dressing you like. I've done something on a couple of DDs that I really like: I make my salad, usually lettuce, a couple of cherry tomatoes, maybe a bit of cucumber and some tuna, all weighed on my scale. Then, with the calories remaining I use some salsa (usually 2-4 tablespoons) and the remainder of my cals cottage cheese. Once I toss this very well it's like a nice creamy, spicy dressing. AND it gives a little boost to my protein!

HTH!!

<<<avi taken a few weeks before my 50th birthday at 165lbs!!
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #176

OMGosh, Lynne, I've done that before too. I thought I was the only one. LOL

It's not bad. I'm glad you reminded me of this again.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-10-2011 at 06:40 AM..
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #177

Carrollee, Peppermint coffee sounds so good on a chilly winter's morning! Has your DS gone outside to play yet? Maybe the two of you can build a snowman today before the snow all melts away!

Congrats on being down another pound. You must be feeling better every day.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #178
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Hey Cheryl..Hang in there..Like sohappy said we will help u figure it. This is such a big adjustment from what u where doing.

Okay on my DD I do not get alot of calories. I am around 360 but remember that this is by choice for me. I am in a bit of differant place trying to figure out how best I want to maintain my weight. My usual meal on down days is a huge salad with veggies. I will buy a whole bag of lettuce and add to it what ever veggies I have in the house. I usually put in two hard boiled eggs and this does seem to hold me to the next day. I also want to u to remember that at this pt in the week for u that increase hunger may be your body fighting to give up that weight. Just a thought. Okay back to what I eat.. I am addicted to diet soda. I drink it and it really helps me get past that hunger pang. It does not go away it just not so strong. That does not seem like it will wk for u because u do not like soda. I also drink alot of tea and coffee. I do put a couple of splashes of almond milk in each cup. One whole cup is 40calories. I have to admit to u that I never counted this. Wrong but it worked for me. Also the DD do get easier. Your body does adjust to it. Now leo is not here but she eats breakfast lunch and dinner. She does not like going all day without eating. This is a personl preferance but not need to be followed. U can put your calories throughout the day. She is on vacation but take a peek at our old threads and u will find her menu for the day. That may help and its opposite of what I do.

Now I know u r frustrated. I not sure if my dd help u. I stuggle more with my UDays and trying to figure out how to eat not feel guilty but enjoy life and find some balance. I need balance in my crazy life!! Lol u know how it is to be a nurse!

I do have a question and maybe u answered it and I missed. U and sohappy where wrighting a novel to each other..LOL!!! You seemed to be doing so well..What happened. Do u know?? Was it just this one hungry day or do u feel like this has been a real stuggle all week and finally had it.

I also want to mention to u and just keep it in the back of your mind. There are very similiar plans for fasting/feasting or calories cycling or what ever u want to call it. If u feel that that part works for u but you need maybe more guildlines as to hours to eat ect there are some things we can give u to explore. I am looking into the fast 5 on my UP days. What I have found is unfortunatly I am like a switch. All or nothing gal. So having a start and stop time may help me and I am trying a bit of it. Not really the 5hours that fast 5 says but I time to eat and time to stop.

Lots of hugs!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I'm back from my weekend and have to get into this discussion because I'm afraid that people are getting off track with JUDDD. I don't like to seem the 'authority,' but I've not only been doing JUDDD for over 2 years, but I've seen folks come and go here, and I've seen the problems they experience with JUDDD.

Jean-I'm sorry I wasn't here to respond to your initial question about binge eating. If you're still reading, you're probably right to leave JUDDD because several former posters with binge eating problems found that JUDDD brought on their old ways--i.e., they found themselves bingeing on UDs very frequently. This is a very poor plan for anyone with a history of ED.

Cheryl- First of all, your dissatisfaction with the amount you lost is misguided. The 'big' loss is NOT at the beginning of any plan; it's only when people abandon carbs and get into ketosis for the first time. That's when the body dumps a lot of water, and people can experience a big loss--mainly water. On any other plan, you lose at a similar rate throughout. In addition, scientists say that the human body can lose a maximum of 2 lbs of fat a week--anything beyond that is either water (as with low carb) or muscle (which you want to avoid as much as possible).

I was already eating low carb when I began JUDDD, and I've lost about a pound a week fairly regularly. In my experience with other posters here, JUDDD doesn't promote any bigger losses than other plans; it's just designed to prevent the 'burn out' of most diets via the UDs and the benefits of IF with the DDs.

Secondly, if you have difficulty with DDs, trying to fast completely seems (to me) counter productive. I know you don't want to do low carb, but I doubt that I could do DDs if I were not eating low carb. Personally, I need the appetite suppression. And I think low carb is a very healthy way to eat.

Because I think it's important to maintain muscle by eating sufficient protein, I emphasize protein on DDs, and that seems to help control my appetite--to some extent. I don't claim to have no hunger on DDs!

However, you also might look at artificial sweeteners. I never thought I had any problem with AS, but when I began JUDDD, it was obvious from the restriction of DDs, that any AS increased my appetite. My body seems to respond to them in that way. So that may be why you're having appetite control issues on DDs.

That's not to say DDs are 'easy.' I have some that are, but even after doing this for so long, I have DDs that I have to 'white knuckle' to get through. And I find that I can't anticipate which kind I'll have.

Then there was the UD discussion that bothered me. According to "official" JUDDD, no one has to count calories on UDs, and several people on this board have lost weight successfully on JUDDD without counting. Personally, I need to restrict calories so much that it's necessary for me to count, and I think that everyone has to find their own comfort level with UDs. To count or not is a personal decision.

A lot of our posters found that they tended to binge on UDs and had to rein themselves in because they were not losing. There's no magic to JUDDD; it is a calorie cycling plan, and there is a lot of evidence that it helps to cycle calories rather than consume the same amount each eay. However, unless a person is operating at a calorie deficit, he/she won't lose. And that's why people have to see what works for them on UDs.

I hope this clarifies some things and doesn't confuse things further!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddesslynne View Post
Cheryl, I just want to make one little suggestion to you, since you're having trouble finding a salad dressing you like. I've done something on a couple of DDs that I really like: I make my salad, usually lettuce, a couple of cherry tomatoes, maybe a bit of cucumber and some tuna, all weighed on my scale. Then, with the calories remaining I use some salsa (usually 2-4 tablespoons) and the remainder of my cals cottage cheese. Once I toss this very well it's like a nice creamy, spicy dressing. AND it gives a little boost to my protein!

HTH!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentagirl13 View Post
Morning everyone! I'm down a pound after yesterday. Today is a UD, and I'm just getting ready to have my coffee. I got some peppermint coffee from Trader Joe's and I hope it's good!

It's a snow day here. It's snowing even harder now, and when I got up it looked like we already had about three inches, which is a lot of us down here in SC! Max is happy that he doesn't have to go to school, but hasn't yet asked to go out in the snow.

Not much going on today. I have a lot of good food from my shopping trip this weekend, and I'll be enjoying some of that today.

Carrollee
Thank you, ladies! Great suggestions and ideas. Today I will be having a little heart-to-heart with myself, and reassessing what I think I can live with and still lose weight.

I have been a closet/binge eater, too. So, eating regular foods is proving to be a problem. I'm also finding it difficult to sacrifice one day to enjoy the next. The notion sounded easy enough, but I don't live an active, busy life. I'm home almost all the time and I don't work. No kids, no hubby or significant other. Just a dog, some parakeets and tropical fish. Not much of a distraction!

Yes, this is a huge difference from what I had been doing over the past year. But I know I can't live in that LC bubble any longer. I'm tired of being the odd ball. In fact, I was just telling a friend of an experience I had while at Chuck E. Cheese with family this past week. I got a salad at the salad bar and explained that I was counting calories now, rather than doing Atkins. Absolutely no one voiced an objection, asked any questions or gave it a second thought. How wonderful that was! To not have to teach or preach of the LC way and why it is so good for you. I felt normal and part of the group! I'm not used to that, but I could GET used to it.

Leo, I'm so glad you had a great weekend. Thanks for clarifying on the UD calorie counting. It just seems like everyone here is doing that, and keeping the UD and DD in proportion to each other. Maybe that's part of my problem, on an unconscious level. I began this plan thinking I was only going to be "dieting" every other day. But I've been restricting everyday, to a certain degree. I'll keep working at this. I'm not ready to throw in the towel. Not even close!

That snow storm that's troubling you in SC is coming our way. They are predicting a "classic Nor'easter" to begin at midnight tomorrow (Technically Wednesday.) More white stuff. All the more reason to go shopping today!

I am happy to announce that I weighed-in this morning (my official one week,) and even though I've been having troulbe, I have kept the 2.4 lbs off! That would not have occured on Atkins. Those lost lbs would have been history! So, I'm encouraged.

Leo, the reason I thought I might lose at a faster rate than I am is because I've been reading Blonde with a Rose's first month's stats. I was trying not to be disappointed with my results, but I knew I had to brace myself. She dropped 8 lbs the first week and 15.5 for the first month. I don't know what her secret is, but I had hoped to be somewhat closer to her stats than mine.

I'm sorry this has been a monster of a post! But thanks to all of you for your kind and compassionate response to my plea for help. God bless you all. I will try some of your suggestions. I appreciate all the tips and tricks!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi,
Like I said before .the last 2 months have had me on bad eating of every bad thing there was to eat. Mom left Sat. and Sunday I got back on track. Started with a Md.So today will be a dd .
It is hard to get back on track but you will feel so much better.
Have a great day.
Kind.
Oh .Got on scale and lost 2lbs{ that was on a md. just think what a few down days will do.
Will weigh in Suday.
On salad dressing I {use and love. Fat free catalina with nice helping of mustard mixed in with 2T. dressing. It taste great and u can not taste musatrd. and u get a nice helping of dressing on salad and only 50 cals.
I love light soups too.what any diet is all about is the calaries you take in and burn.
take care.
You can eat lot of good foods and low calaries if you plan.
In fact. i think I will make cabage soup.{ Diet kind but that is good soup I thinkand love cal.
See girls Im back.
Janet
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #180
Big Yapper!

Welcome back, Janet! I'm sure you are right. I just need to plan better, and maybe do LC on DD's. That might control the hunger better. That salad dressing sounds interesting!