Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm on my 3rd cup of hot tea today for this DD. Feeling very good.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #122
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Thanks, Sohappy. I did read the information on the JUDDD website. I'll go back and read it again. I agree with you, that the little indulgences on the UD's is what keeps us strong on the DD's. It's a great incentive.

I guess what I don't understand is that (from what I read on his website,) Dr Johnson doesn't say to count calories at all on the UD's, but that's what it ends up turning into. I don't know if it was meant to be so regimented on both days. Like I said, I'll go back and read up. I don't have his book. Maybe I should get one?

I don't know what it is about declaring I'm going to do well with diet etc but I become an automatic time bomb. It's time to bow out altogether. I have to do something entirely different, like GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.

I think it's time to make that change. Hoping all of you have the greatest of success. PM me if you wish to stay in touch. God bless each of you. I know where you can be found.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Wow maybe I am being too lax? I am doing the 500 calorie DD (per the induction) phase of JUDD. I don't count UD's at all but don't overeat. I have lost 6.8 pounds and am on Day 6.
Some water for sure as I was eating too many carbs beforehand. I have lost an inch in the waist though. I really don't want to count the UD's unless I stop losing.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #124

I think if you are losing weight and/or inches, you can't be doing things too far wrong!

I just don't think a person can be too "lax" for themselves and their calorie levels and be losing weight. That means they are eating less than their bodies need for maintenance, and that's certainly one of the main goals of most of us here!

If you're losing weight, I'd say you're doing fine. Just enjoy the journey!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #125
Big Yapper!

One or more of you have said you do the JUDDD plan along with the Fast 5 plan. Do you do the Fast 5 on all days, or just your DD's? I don't think I could do that everyday, but on the DD, it might make it easier to be satisfied with 500 calories for the day.

I looked on Amazon and read the reviews for the Alternate Day Diet (the book for JUDDD) and it sounds like the book is really unnecessary, since the concept is so simple. I will go back to his website and read, read, read.

I really appreciate everything you all are helping me with. I promise that I won't be a pain in the @$$.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: soccermomof3
Start Date: January 2011
Have a Question

I am on my first day of JUDDD, and I wasn't planning on doing the full 2 weeks of 500 calories per day. How necessary is it to actually follow through with those 2 weeks? It just sounds like it could be really tough and possibly unhealthy to go that long with so few calories. Has everyone here done the 2 weeks? Is it okay to just jump right into the plan instead?
soccermomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #127

soccer mom.. you only do the 500 calories a day EVERY OTHER DAY. Between those 500 calorie days you eat at your normal level of calories, so that might be as low as 1,500 calories or lower, but could easily be up to 2,000 calories per day or higher, depending on your activity level and natural metabolic rate.

So one day of very low calories followed by one day of regular calories, then back to the low calories, followed by high calories again.

So if you average the days out, you get an average of pretty low calories, which results in a pretty fair rate of weight loss.

But don't drop to 500 calories and then stay there every single day for two weeks! That's along the lines of ******* or hCG diets, and those diets aren't what we are all about at all!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #128
Big Yapper!

It's only every other day, so it's not hard to bear. I don't think it's at all unhealthy, provided you aren't living on junk food on your UD, and you are taking your vitamin suppliments.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermomof3 View Post
I am on my first day of JUDDD, and I wasn't planning on doing the full 2 weeks of 500 calories per day. How necessary is it to actually follow through with those 2 weeks? It just sounds like it could be really tough and possibly unhealthy to go that long with so few calories. Has everyone here done the 2 weeks? Is it okay to just jump right into the plan instead?
I have been doing it for 3 mts. And I feel gr8 lots of energy. MY cholestrol is normal for the frist time in years. I needed to lose 25 lbs. and I'm almost there. I love it. My dds are 500 or less. Most of the time I don't count uds. But if I decided to it would be around 2000.

I like the saying I only diet every other day.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

I also exercise alot on my uds. Not at all on my dds.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Someone asked, "what do you eat on ud's?" I think we all agree that on our DD's we make it very simple. That's not a lot to eat. Is close to a fast. I don't think about food much on DD's as I use Atkins shakes.

The real secret to being successful on JUDD seems to be how we handle the UD's. I'm new at this so I'm not the one to ask. But, I certainly can see how valuable UD's are to teach me how to eat normally. If I can get my UD's under control where I eat in a normal way without junk or overeating or bingeing then that will be just wonderful.

I'm reviewing portion sizes and food choices as I do the UD's and trying to make better food choices.

Yesterday was a good DD for me. About 480 cal. I was starving last night late but managed to not eat anything and go to bed. Today is an UD. I was not hungry at all until about noon. I made a grilled cheese sandwich. I made sure to not use mayo and I measured a pat of butter. It was very good and about 450 cal.

I just ate dinner. I had lean roast beef I had slowly cooked in the crockpot,garlic- roasted red potatoes, a biscuit and a little beef gravy. I drank a diet coke. Maybe 1000 calories total.

I'll have about 400-500 cal of something a little later. Not sure what yet.

My greatest tweeking on this plan is getting my UD's to be good days without feeling like I'm dieting. Also, making sure I don't overeat.

I'm really working to get it right for me. My husband is doing very well on it. But, he just eats what I prepare.

Also, I think I don't want to weight too often. I want to accept that I'm losing a couple #'s a week and that's fine. I may only weigh once a month or so. My husband weighs almost every day. But, he's never been on a diet much before.

I really love all the posts. Very helpful.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
My last two UD I have incorported fast 5...Now I extended my time to eat past 5hours but for me a start and stop time on UD's have helped alot.

For those who are having success record what u r doing and follow it. I think we all may find differant calories that we can eat on UD depending on age and activity level. If u r not finding success then I would make sure your DD r per your weight. For me its only 360calories and not over doing the UP days. This is hard for most of us because we r not here because we know what normal eating is. Its a learning process.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
I also exercise alot on my uds. Not at all on my dds.
I love to exercise and have found that if I do it early enought on my DD I can usually get it in.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: soccermomof3
Start Date: January 2011
Carbs?

So, am I supposed to count carbs on both down and up days? I've read so many posts that I think I've confused myself. . . .I have been counting carbs today on my dd, and I'm under 20. Should I also do that on my up day?
soccermomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #135

Quote:
So, am I supposed to count carbs on both down and up days? I've read so many posts that I think I've confused myself. . . .I have been counting carbs today on my dd, and I'm under 20. Should I also do that on my up day?
Some people do JUDDD as both low calorie and low carb. Some people do it as mostly just low calorie.

To be honest, in order to keep calories down on DDs, you won't be eating very high on either one!

I don't do low carb as I feel much better on moderate carb and am much, much happier eating at that level with the somewhat higher carb foods allowed me at that level.

You just will have to find your own preferred way of eating. See how happy you are with each way, how you lose weight or maintain weight at the various carb/calorie levels.

Kinda' confusing until you've fine tuned the plan to your own needs and desires.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
Soccermom, the JUDDD isn't a carb-controlled plan at all, it doesn't advocate counting carbs at all. Some don't bother watching carbs on JUDDD, some still find carb control is helpful and watch their carbs, but there is no hard and fast rule.

Oops, SoHappy posted before me, but same idea!
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

I watch the carbs on my UD's because I feel better eating low carb. On DD's I don't worry about the carb count. I figure the DD calories are so low like sohappy mentioned that it really doesn't matter. I have eaten more carbs on my DD's than I used to eat when just strictly low carbing and am still losing. I am just finishing up my first week though so things may change.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Morning everyone! I was up 1.5 this morning, but it's a down day today and I'll be drinking a lot more water than yesterday, and eating way less salt! I also didn't eat in my 5 hour window, and clearly that makes a big difference.

Carrollee
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentagirl13 View Post
Morning everyone! I was up 1.5 this morning, but it's a down day today and I'll be drinking a lot more water than yesterday, and eating way less salt! I also didn't eat in my 5 hour window, and clearly that makes a big difference.

Carrollee
I believe when we are up and down in those large amounts, it is always water weight and perhaps the remains of yesterday's meals. LOL I was down a bit this morning, but was up a bit yesterday morning. I like to weigh each morning but don't take the numbers very seriously unless they are going up and keep going up! Then it's time to do some fine tuning. Hope you are feeling better each day.

I'm making this day be a MD, a moderate day with in between calories. I have so much to do today, so I'll be almost too busy to think about eating, and that is a great time to do a DD for me, but since I did one yesterday, I'll do the MD today. I don't do them often, but this is a perfect day.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi everyone
I am down another .6 today,but am feeling a lot hungrier than I had been even though yesterday was an UD. Tomorrow will be one week since starting this WOE and I wondering if it would be more wise to up the DD's to the 30-35% range or try to stick to the 500 calories. I did do some walk/run intervals for 45 min. yesterday so that may explain the hunger, but I really don't want to give up my exercise. Any advice or suggestions?

Last edited by jeaniem; 01-09-2011 at 07:04 AM..
Old 01-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy, I don't fret too much about any fluctuations since I'm a daily weigher too, and I expect it. And I did have a ton of salt yesterday, and not enough water. I think that's enough to make me hold onto 1.5 pounds, and it probably is all water.

I'm not worrying too much about any of this until after my follow up appointment on the 20th. As it stands I'm still really bloated, and I can't exercise, and I'm not going to have down days that keep me hungry (even though I do pretty well on them, and do them when I feel like I can--and I'm definitely way lower calorie on them) until I know I'm better.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #142
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I do not carbs. I eat what I want on both days.
Only on dds I stay below 500
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #143

Good Morning, jeaniem (and Everybody)!!!

Jeaniem, you posted on January 2nd that you were going to be starting JUDDD "tomorrow".. which would have been the 3rd. And today is only the start of the 9th, so you've only been at it for 6 days.

You are bound to still be feeling some hunger on your DDs, at least, and I don't know how many calories you are eating on your UDs, so can't comment there, but if you are using UDs to get at so much freedom that you eat at too high a carb level, that can certainly bring on more 'hunger' feelings. That is something that really varies among people. Some can eat a lot at a fairly high carb level and their appetite remains very well regulated while the next guy seems to have resolve weaken quickly and they're feeling a lot more cravings and hunger. Is this happening to you?

You are still trying to be in a weight-loss-mode, so you probably don't want to go too 'wild and free' on your UDs quite yet. (Don't know if you are.. just a caution here.)

As to the calorie level of your DDs, it is advised that the new JUDDDer do the DDs of their first TWO WEEKS at 500 calories per DD. There is a reason behind this, which is to form the habit and retrain the brain to accepting DDs of low calories with little hunger, thought or frustration about it. So that after awhile, you are so used to it that your brain ceases to stimulate all those hunger pangs! I think you can only have done two or three DDs so far, so your brain is probably still trying to convince you that you just have to eat more.. just have to!

You are absolutely in charge of what you want to do, and what you decide, but I do hope that you will tough it out for at least the two weeks on 500 calories per DD and see how you feel about it all at the end of that 'induction' period. You may have not only lost weight, you should hopefully find that you don't feel nearly the hunger on DDs, often don't feel so much hunger on your UDs, despite being able to enjoy your meals on UDs by including foods you wouldn't normally even dream of tasting while trying to lose some weight.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-09-2011 at 07:07 AM..
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentagirl13 View Post
SoHappy, I don't fret too much about any fluctuations since I'm a daily weigher too, and I expect it. And I did have a ton of salt yesterday, and not enough water. I think that's enough to make me hold onto 1.5 pounds, and it probably is all water.

I'm not worrying too much about any of this until after my follow up appointment on the 20th. As it stands I'm still really bloated, and I can't exercise, and I'm not going to have down days that keep me hungry (even though I do pretty well on them, and do them when I feel like I can--and I'm definitely way lower calorie on them) until I know I'm better.
Certainly! I completely agree! You've been through quite a procedure, and it takes a body plenty of time to heal and then to regain all of its strength. I think that you are just trying to maintain yourself and even cut your calories down just a bit is wonderful right now.

The 20th will come quickly, and I pray you will be given word that everything is good and also that as the days progress, you are feeling better every day.

I'm just glad that you are here with us! JUDDDers together!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Certainly! I completely agree! You've been through quite a procedure, and it takes a body plenty of time to heal and then to regain all of its strength. I think that you are just trying to maintain yourself and even cut your calories down just a bit is wonderful right now.

The 20th will come quickly, and I pray you will be given word that everything is good and also that as the days progress, you are feeling better every day.

I'm just glad that you are here with us! JUDDDers together!!!
Thank you! I am down to taking my hydrocodone only at bedtime, as I don't really have much discomfort. I have to keep up the ibuprofen until I finish it. The doctor said I was really healthy, so I'm hoping that after my 3 month wait (to let everything internal heal), I'll be back to trying to conceive and will have positive results quickly. The doctor seems optimistic about that being likely, and I'll be taking that three months to lose weight and start up my exercise routine and otherwise get healthy for a new baby, and that should help me out as well.

I think this is such a supportive group and I'm really glad to be a part of it.

Carrollee
Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #146
Big Yapper!

Carollee, I hope that you get that new baby you want so much. I'm sorry for the heartache you've gone through recently. Bless you.

Hello everyone! DD #4 underway here. Thankfully, I slept in late, so there are fewer hours to be conscious of the fasting! Wish I could do that for every DD. I plan not to eat or drink anything but water until this evening, but may even try to do the entire day with only water. I over did it yesterday, and want to under do it today. Weighing myself yesterday is why. I have to stay away from the scale for a few weeks and see what I can really accomplish on JUDDD. I was used to the fluctuations while doing Atkins, but I knew to expect them, and could even predict stalls and whooshes. My body had a way of letting go of the weight then, and now it's all different. My body needs to find a new rhythm, and I need to let it.

So, have a fantastic Sunday, wherever you are. Peace and good health to you!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #147
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Good Morning, jeaniem (and Everybody)!!!

Jeaniem, you posted on January 2nd that you were going to be starting JUDDD "tomorrow".. which would have been the 3rd. And today is only the start of the 9th, so you've only been at it for 6 days.

You are bound to still be feeling some hunger on your DDs, at least, and I don't know how many calories you are eating on your UDs, so can't comment there, but if you are using UDs to get at so much freedom that you eat at too high a carb level, that can certainly bring on more 'hunger' feelings. That is something that really varies among people. Some can eat a lot at a fairly high carb level and their appetite remains very well regulated while the next guy seems to have resolve weaken quickly and they're feeling a lot more cravings and hunger. Is this happening to you?

You are still trying to be in a weight-loss-mode, so you probably don't want to go too 'wild and free' on your UDs quite yet. (Don't know if you are.. just a caution here.)

As to the calorie level of your DDs, it is advised that the new JUDDDer do the DDs of their first TWO WEEKS at 500 calories per DD. There is a reason behind this, which is to form the habit and retrain the brain to accepting DDs of low calories with little hunger, thought or frustration about it. So that after awhile, you are so used to it that your brain ceases to stimulate all those hunger pangs! I think you can only have done two or three DDs so far, so your brain is probably still trying to convince you that you just have to eat more.. just have to!

You are absolutely in charge of what you want to do, and what you decide, but I do hope that you will tough it out for at least the two weeks on 500 calories per DD and see how you feel about it all at the end of that 'induction' period. You may have not only lost weight, you should hopefully find that you don't feel nearly the hunger on DDs, often don't feel so much hunger on your UDs, despite being able to enjoy your meals on UDs by including foods you wouldn't normally even dream of tasting while trying to lose some weight.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yes as I said tomorrow will be one week for me.I mistakenly thought we were able to up the amount of cals on the DD's if need be, but I see I was mistaken.
I went back and re-read the info at the website and found that I misunderstood the DD's calorie limit. I see that it is okay to up the cals after the two week induction whereas I thought he said it was okay to go higher if one felt more comfortable.
I am only eating slightly higher carb on my UD's than I normally would so it must be the exercise. I am going to do my best to stick to the 500 for the additional week but I don't want to binge so I'll tread carefully! Thanks for the advice,

Last edited by jeaniem; 01-09-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to say hi. I am at work today and very busy. I ate bit too much yesterday but today is a dd. I needed to change my days for a party next Sunday.

Carolee. I am glad u r feeling better. May I ask what window of time do u use??

Jean yea sohappy is right. Your down days during weight loss have to be under 500. Now for me they r 360 due to my weight.

Sohappy I love your posts. They r always so informative and clear

Cheryl. Lol I wish I slept in!!! We Got couple inches of snow but I got up in my 4 wheel drive and made it to the hospital on time. Did u get anymore snow??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #149
Big Yapper!

Jodi, you must be a nurse. I am an RN, myself. But I am enjoying an early retirement (fancy way of saying I suffered from burn-out.) I can't tell if we got more snow or if the ground just gained a few more inches from all the snow that was clinging to the trees! It was very fluffy, clingy snow. I really need to go out and clean up again. Not in the mood, though. Very windy today. Brrrrrr.

Have a great day at work. Thank God for 4x4's! Wish I had one sometimes.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Yes as I said tomorrow will be one week for me.I mistakenly thought we were able to up the amount of cals on the DD's if need be, but I see I was mistaken.
I went back and re-read the info at the website and found that I misunderstood the DD's calorie limit. I see that it is okay to up the cals after the two week induction whereas I thought he said it was okay to go higher if one felt more comfortable.
I am only eating slightly higher carb on my UD's than I normally would so it must be the exercise. I am going to do my best to stick to the 500 for the additional week but I don't want to binge so I'll tread carefully! Thanks for the advice,
jeaniem, I know some folks do eat at higher than the 500 calorie figure on their DDs, and I think it is because they are just so hungry on their DDs that they can't take it. But..... But I think that maybe isn't the best way to go if you truly want all the health advantages of the JUDDD concept.

I'm sending a million hugs to you right now 'cause I so-o-o-o understand what you are feeling about being HUNGRY! Dag Nab It!!! Hungry!

But if you can hold out, it does get easier. I think it's just another "diet" *hard thing*... like trying to do a clean induction on Atkins when you have to cut out almost all the carbs in the world and limit yourself to 20 or fewer. Not THAT'S what I thought was hard!