Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Since Cheryl mentioned 'control,' I thought I'd share my DD experience with all of you who are new and/or struggling with DDs.

Before I did my first one, I was fairly sure that I would be unable to do it! The idea of eating only 500 cal for a day (even one day) was so intimidating. I was sure I'd starve to death

What amazed me was not only that I was able to do it (and didn't starve to death , but that I experienced such a great sense of control over food for the first time in my life. I realized that in the past, I'd really felt almost victimized by food--i.e., I overate even though I wanted to lose weight and felt powerless to limit my eating. My DDs changed that completely.

I really feel that the success I've experienced with JUDDD is due to that changed relationship to food. I have continued to feel in control of my eating, even when allowing myself small indulgences.

For example, last Feb., I went on a 2-week cruise to Hawaii and my goal was to just maintain, since I assumed that DDs would be impossible and so would any loss. I tried to make healthy choices in my eating, but I also indulged in a few desserts along with way. I came home 2 lbs lighter! And since my usual loss is only a pound a week, that was amazing to me.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a weekend in New Orleans, and I'm not afraid of that wonderful food (best eating in the US!) because I am confident that I can limit myself as much as I wish to with the control I've gotten from JUDDD. The benefits of DDs are amazing.
Wow Leo, you are such an inspiration! Everything you said rings true with me. In the short time I've been following JUDDD I can already feel my "relationship" with food changing. It is neither my friend nor my enemy. I do feel in control. Empowered. I don't know if I was just ready for this? I'm really glad I found you last month!

Have a wonderful time in New Orleans!!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Eatin clean@ using the Nutri Bullet
Start Date: .Aug. 2012
Daisey,
How are you doing? Mom leaves this weekend so I will be able to get back on track.Today Im doing well.Lunch was soup{ 250}. and just had big salald with 2T. dressing and navy beens on top.400 cals.
Should get on tredmil and do at least 1 mile.{ Start}.My husband and i are thinking of getting the 17 day diet book. But Im torn betwwen Judd.{ I do like eating that way. I guess does not hurt to read.But got Judd book out and also reading Eat to live. I will be reading here and posting. As long as something works and at least gets u started, is a plan.
I think I just need to clean out my body and get rid of all this un heathy eating and too big of portions. I do find the first 3 days is the hardest on any plan.
I have to watch getting on scale. Only 2 days a week should be good for me.

kind.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #93
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Finishing up my second UD today. DD tomorrow should be a little easier, since I have made it through two so far, I now have the confidence that I can do it!
I am curious as to what everyone eats on Up days. I have been keeping it basically low carb but have been eating a few more carbs than I am used to.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #94
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I am back from my family affair at Chuck E. Cheese and I'm so proud of myself! I remembered their pizza was nothing special, but when they were put on the table, they looked about as appealing as card board. So, I paid for the salad bar and used reduced calorie ranch dressing.

I was just trying to figure out the calories for my salad, but it's not easy. I asked for a calorie flyer and they gave me one, but it didn't include the dressings. I know salad is pretty low until you add the bacon, cheese, croutons, seeds, and dressing. Some of the figures looked too low on Fit Day, so I increased the portions until it looked more accurate. Anyone know how many calories are in one of those salad dressing ladles? I used two full ones. (I hate dry salad.)

So, now I'm home and I am enjoying some wine! Soon I will have some crackers and cheese. This is my UD, but I so want to do this right. Call me Jazzed! I'm loving this WOE!!

Goodnight, girls! Snow storm is coming tonight. All ready for it, and will probably have a fire tomorrow, to enjoy it to the max. It will be my 3rd DD, so I'm going to take what I've learned so far and wait until mid-afternoon to take in any real calories. Sweet dreams!
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #95
Big Yapper!

I'm as new at this as you are, Jeaniem, but I'm "up to here" with LC and I'm going to eat as freely within the boundaries of this plan as I can. I may change my tune when I weigh myself in a week, but I think what I'm doing will work just fine.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
Cheryl, I think salad dressing ladles are usually 2 tbsp, but it could be as much as a 1/4 cup. Do you have measuring cups? Look at a 1/4 cup measuring cup and see if it looks the same or bigger than the ladle did.

I've been doing moderate carb (125-150g average) a day for a few years now so my up or maintenance days are likely in that range. I am just careful to avoid my triggers, wheat and sugar, I'm okay with a little starch or whole grain and fruit. My down days are very high in protein though, primarily protein. I exercise a lot and think it's important to keep my protein on the higher side.

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #97
Big Yapper!

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll see if the 1/4 cup looks like the ladle, tomorrow. It's 11pm here and I officially no longer care! Tomorrow is a brand new day.

Nite.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Finishing up my second UD today. DD tomorrow should be a little easier, since I have made it through two so far, I now have the confidence that I can do it!
I am curious as to what everyone eats on Up days. I have been keeping it basically low carb but have been eating a few more carbs than I am used to.
Hi Jeanie! My DD's are ultra low carb, it seems to help me be more satisfied with my meals...but like CherylB, I am kinda fed up with daily ultra low carb, so I do add more carbs on UD's. I also try to avoid sugar in its purest form so I don't typically do sweets and when I do I don't feel very well afterwards. I use my UD's to have things I can't normally eat like regular potatoes or sweet potatoes, winter squash, fresh corn or sweet peas. I try to stick to LC breads if I'm going to have bread. Mostly, I don't worry about it, I tell myself that if I want something, I can have it. I had pizza earlier this week and I felt (physically) terrible the next day. I also seem to be having some problems with drinking wine on UD's. I don't feel very well even with only a glass or two. This is a side-effect I didn't expect. I think the most important thing is to do your DD's to the letter, don't exceed the number set for you. Remember that eating normally is just a day away. Enjoy the discipline and control you have on you DD.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Morning everyone! I'm down yet another pound, thanks to the laxative my mom picked up for me yesterday (this is just to offset the side effect of my hydrocodone, I don't take them without a reason). Today is a DD and I'm taking it easy, drinking my water and I'll have some quiche later on.

I'm finally able to sleep on my side so I've been sleeping through the night. I'm still not caught up on sleep but with a three year old that is never going to happen! I think I'll be able to sleep in some tomorrow, though.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Carrollee

magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
Mmmmm... quiche!

Carrolllee, I'm glad you are still getting better. Have a good down day.

I'm doing okay today, it's a maintenance day and it's pub night after our group run club tonight. I'm kind of sidelined with the running, recovering from an injury, but I'll go for a short run and the pub afterward. So even though it's a maintenance day, I'm eating lightly today so I can enjoy a glass of wine and a meal at the pub.

I figure by next week I'll be back to where I started pre-Christmas on the scale. Another pound or so to go!
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #101
Big Yapper!

WTG, Carollee! That is great news. Your son is so adorable! He must be a joy to have in your life. Not sleeping is not good, but I'm glad you are getting better sleep now. Sleep deprivation really is cumulative, so you are absolutely right when you say you are getting "caught up." I'm a side-sleeper, too. Glad you can get comfortable!

BWAR, (hope that's ok to shorten), I agree with you on doing dd's strictly. I also enjoy vino on my ud's. It's such a treat, isn't it?

Today is dd #3, and my first weigh-in day will be this coming Monday. It will be the morning after another dd, so I am looking forward to seeing the results of my little experiment in improving my health. I have very hight hopes, but I'm afraid of being let down. I suppose that's only naturally, to want to prepare yourself for disappointment. But I can't think that way, so I push those thoughts out as quickly as they enter my mind. This will work! And I will be able to do this for life, and reach my goals.

We all can. Have a lovely day. The storm fizzled out. All we got was barely a dusting. But it helped me to track down a raccoon who robbed my suet cake holder! I followed some tracks into the woods that are along side my driveway, and found the remains of what was a nearly full cake. Ha! It's back up where it belongs now. I feel very sleuthy.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #102
Big Yapper!

Have fun at the Pub, Valerie!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
JUst stopping to say hi!! I have had a good couple of days

I have been looking into fast 5 for my up days. Maybe not 5 hours but having more of a start and stop time. It really seemed to work well yesterday. I did eat breakfast and had a huge not planned lunch with dh. I stopped eating after lunch and ate first dd meal at lunch today. It really went well!! My weight is still within range.

I have found that I too stay low carb on my dd. My updays I am trying to eat within reason.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
Daisey,
How are you doing? Mom leaves this weekend so I will be able to get back on track.Today Im doing well.Lunch was soup{ 250}. and just had big salald with 2T. dressing and navy beens on top.400 cals.
Should get on tredmil and do at least 1 mile.{ Start}.My husband and i are thinking of getting the 17 day diet book. But Im torn betwwen Judd.{ I do like eating that way. I guess does not hurt to read.But got Judd book out and also reading Eat to live. I will be reading here and posting. As long as something works and at least gets u started, is a plan.
I think I just need to clean out my body and get rid of all this un heathy eating and too big of portions. I do find the first 3 days is the hardest on any plan.
I have to watch getting on scale. Only 2 days a week should be good for me.

kind.
Hi I am doing fine. I tried the 17 day diet. I don't like being told what to eat. I love this plan. I have been doing great and its not hard for me. I got a treadmill and a stationary bike and both help alot.

I was in books a million in kokomo and they had the 17 day diet book dirt cheap. when I read it I got it from the libary. Well I hope to see more of you on here real soon.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

hello juddders ud today and allis going great.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I am jealous daisy DD here and I am feeling really hungry tonight! Looking forward to an UD and MD Sat. and Sunday. I am hanging in as I know I will feel really good tomorrow after sticking to my DD today.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I am jealous daisy DD here and I am feeling really hungry tonight! Looking forward to an UD and MD Sat. and Sunday. I am hanging in as I know I will feel really good tomorrow after sticking to my DD today.
yes you will just hang in their. tomorrow I am thinking md. and ud on sunday
then back to dd on monday. Its a plan any way.

Alot of the times my mds turn into uds. So my plan for tomorrow is to fast until at least 2pm. And nothing after 7pm. thats my plan for tomorrow.

I know I can do this. I keep telling myself this is not hard.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #108
Big Yapper!

DD #3 is in the bag! I ate exactly 500 on the nose. Pretty cool. As always, I'm relieved to have it completed, and to have an UD to look forward to. I can't wait to weigh in! I'm going to try to be strong and wait until Monday, but I may cave in and weigh tomorrow morning. Would that be a bad idea?

I have a few questions. For those of you who have been living the JUDDD way for a while. Do you ever get to a place where you don't feel much hunger on DD's? Also, I was wondering what you recall was your first week's and/or first month's weight loss. If you can share that with me, it might give me a better idea of what range of loss to expect.

The storm finally came and we are getting slammed! I haven't looked out lately, but the accumulations are as much as 11 inches in some towns. I'm kind of afraid to look!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl. I am excited for u too to get on the scale. U seem to have settled in this week. Now as far as your questions I personally took right to the down days an found that I can extend my fast longer if I wanted to do a 24 hour fast. I find as soon as I eat o. A down day that the bit of growling hunger I feel turns into an angry hunger and I am starving. I know others here r able to eat a bit throughout the day. I was never able to do that. This Is just my experience I hope Leo chimes in because she does the exact opposit of me and it works for her!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl as far as how much weight I came to Judd with the last nasty pounds I could not get rid of. I have been able to keep within a range now and have some goodies along the way! The best thing is there is no Omg I blew it fell off start over. Yes I have good and bad days but I do not feel so guilty if on indulge!

Last edited by JKat; 01-08-2011 at 03:46 AM..
Old 01-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #111
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Today is a DD for me. I've been very busy this past week doing the FlyLady system for my home and had to work out in the field on a new house we're getting ready too, so haven't been able to visit here and read all your posts as much. And I miss you guys when I can't read here much! You all give me so much inspiration!

This morning the scale said I haven't lost a thing this week. So that means I'm overeating on my UDs (would be my guess), so time to recalibrate and cut the calorie levels down a bit... probably on DDs as well as UDs. Because I'm not wanting to maintain, which is what I'm doing with great ease.. I now want to lose a few more pounds. In fact, I'd like to lose about 10 pounds and see how I like the looks of my poor old face and body then. When you're in your later 60s, sometimes much weight loss doesn't give you the look you were hoping for!

And for those who were wondering, I'm one who doesn't have too much trouble with DDs. I do feel some appetite hunger as the day wears on, but now it is in a way that is kinda' strange.. like I (me) feel separated from it (the hunger).. like I'm aware of it, but I'm more observing it from someplace else. Don't really know how to explain it, but it doesn't bother me anymore, and I've actually come to rather enjoy the feeling of an empty stomach! I think one of the reasons that many of us are here in the first place is that we never experienced an empty stomach for years!

Another REALLY IMPORTANT thing to realize for those of you who find DDs very, very, very hard to complete successfully is that: Your brain learns and then triggers your feelings. By not eating so much, you can train your brain to tell your stomach it is completely full and satisfied on small amounts of food. Big Eaters have trained their brains that they are not full and satisfied until they've stuffed in a great amount of food and swallowed it all. So it does take some time to retrain your brain that eating smaller amounts is completely filling and satisfying, and you feel 100% happy and done with your meal. That is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful goal, because then you can taste and eat a whole world's variety of food, in modest and reasonable portions, and get to and then maintain that slim, trim and beautiful figure you deserve and the good health to live a happy life.

Practice makes perfect. You 'learn' how to feel satisfied (and even appreciative) on DDs, and you learn how to not go hog wild on UDs while using them to enrich your life in a way that allows you to indulge in all the culinary delights the world has to offer... and in a way that you can live this delightful life in a slim and healthy body!

So do the work to *get there*!!! It is so-o-o-o worth the effort of forming these new eating patterns and habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-08-2011 at 06:40 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #112
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Today is a DD for me. I've been very busy this past week doing the FlyLady system for my home and had to work out in the field on a new house we're getting ready too, so haven't been able to visit here and read all your posts as much. And I miss you guys when I can't read here much! You all give me so much inspiration!

This morning the scale said I haven't lost a thing this week. So that means I'm overeating on my UDs (would be my guess), so time to recalibrate and cut the calorie levels down a bit... probably on DDs as well as UDs. Because I'm not wanting to maintain, which is what I'm doing with great ease.. I now want to lose a few more pounds. In fact, I'd like to lose about 10 pounds and see how I like the looks of my poor old face and body then. When you're in your later 60s, sometimes much weight loss doesn't give you the look you were hoping for!

And for those who were wondering, I'm one who doesn't have too much trouble with DDs. I do feel some appetite hunger as the day wears on, but now it is in a way that is kinda' strange.. like I (me) feel separated from it (the hunger).. like I'm aware of it, but I'm more observing it from someplace else. Don't really know how to explain it, but it doesn't bother me anymore, and I've actually come to rather enjoy the feeling of an empty stomach! I think one of the reasons that many of us are here in the first place is that we never experienced an empty stomach for years!

Another REALLY IMPORTANT thing to realize for those of you who find DDs very, very, very hard to complete successfully is that: Your brain learns and then triggers your feelings. By not eating so much, you can train your brain to tell your stomach it is completely full and satisfied on small amounts of food. Big Eaters have trained their brains that they are not full and satisfied until they've stuffed in a great amount of food and swallowed it all. So it does take some time to retrain your brain that eating smaller amounts is completely filling and satisfying, and you feel 100% happy and done with your meal. That is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful goal, because then you can taste and eat a whole world's variety of food, in modest and reasonable portions and get to and then maintain that slim, trim and beautiful figure you deserve and the good health to live a happy life.

Practice makes perfect. You 'learn' how to feel satisfied (and even appreciative) on DDs, and you learn how to not go hog wild on UDs while using them to enrich your life in a way that allows you to indulge in all the culinary delights the world has to offer... and in a way that you can live this delightful life in a slim and healthy body!

So do the work to *get there*!!! It is so-o-o-o worth the effort of forming these new eating patterns and habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well said!

I weighed this morning, a full two days early from what would have been my first official weigh-in after week one and I'm not thrilled, but happy. I'm down 2.4 lbs so far. The reason I'm not thrilled is because we all know that the first week is usually higher than the weeks that follow, as we drop the lbs. I am concerned that this may be very slow-going, unless I really restrict on the UD's, too. But isn't the idea to have a literal "Up/Down" not Down/sorta Down?

Am I being too hard on myself?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #113
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Cheryl. I am excited for u too to get on the scale. U seem to have settled in this week. Now as far as your questions I personally took right to the down days an found that I can extend my fast longer if I wanted to do a 24 hour fast. I find as soon as I eat o. A down day that the bit of growling hunger I feel turns into an angry hunger and I am starving. I know others here r able to eat a bit throughout the day. I was never able to do that. This Is just my experience I hope Leo chimes in because she does the exact opposit of me and it works for her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Cheryl as far as how much weight I came to Judd with the last nasty pounds I could not get rid of. I have been able to keep within a range now and have some goodies along the way! The best thing is there is no Omg I blew it fell off start over. Yes I have good and bad days but I do not feel so guilty if on indulge!
Thanks so much, JKat. I think I'm more like you on the hunger issue. Going longer and just going without is probably the better choice for me, then I can enjoy the bulk of the 500 in the evening, when I like to eat the most.

I'm down 2.4 lbs today (as I just mentioned in the above post). Is that average for "almost" a week? I guess what I weigh on Monday will tell much more than what I weigh today. It IS a tad early. But I felt thinner and couldn't wait!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

That is fantastic!! Dr j says 2 a Wk... WTg Cheryl!!! Think about it and u ate and enjoyed all your choices without guilt

Last edited by JKat; 01-08-2011 at 07:04 AM..
Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #115
Big Yapper!

I hear ya, Jodi. No guilt, no deprivation, no special foods that I had to cart along with me everywhere (or take a chance on having nothing I could eat.) I'm very happy with this WOE. It's such a gift!

Today is an UD. I will try to keep the calories lower than I have been on a typical UD. Maybe I'm going a bit too high. I have never just thrown caution to the wind, but maybe I just need to reign it in a little. I'll do anything to get results. I want to get this health problem licked, once and for all.

Have a great day, ladies. I need to push myself to go outside and dig out. We got over 8 inches of fluffy white stuff yesterday, and more is on the way. My sister got a foot! I will track the snow shoveling on Fit Day as exercise. It will be, I'm sure!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Well said!

I weighed this morning, a full two days early from what would have been my first official weigh-in after week one and I'm not thrilled, but happy. I'm down 2.4 lbs so far. The reason I'm not thrilled is because we all know that the first week is usually higher than the weeks that follow, as we drop the lbs. I am concerned that this may be very slow-going, unless I really restrict on the UD's, too. But isn't the idea to have a literal "Up/Down" not Down/sorta Down?

Am I being too hard on myself?
Well, yes and... a little bit of no.

DDs are fairly well spelled out at 500 calories and lower, depending on what percentage of your UD calories you are figuring. For a person who eats at 2000 UD calories, their normal DDs might be 400 calories (20% rate) up to 500 calories (25% rate).. and obviously the lower percentage of your UD calories you can cut down to.. on your DDs.. the fewer calories you will consume overall during the week.

Using those same percentages, if you should be eating at about the 1,800 calorie range on UDs, your DDs could be 360 calories (20%) or maybe 450 (25%).

And still using those same percentages, if your UDs should only be 1,500 calories, your DDs might look like this: 300 (20%) or 375 (25%)!

TWO things to keep in mind: This eating plan is based on FASTING for quite a few of its days. It is a form of calorie RESTRICTED eating, both for weight loss and health. So the fact that the design allows for some eating on fasting days is pretty wonderful, actually.

Folks who gravitate to this WOE would appreciate it not only for its amazing overall health benefits but because of those UP DAYS that allow for more unrestricted eating and allow for eating foods that are just simply forbidden to you if you follow many other eating plans. (And that is what so many people come to hate about some other eating plans and why they keep trying but fail over and over and over.)

BUT.......... Up Days are really not intended to be overeating fests. They are intended to be days which are free for you to eat pretty much anything you desire in reasonable portions.......... as you should be eating. And if you are trying to lose weight, those UD calories should undoubtedly be held at a somewhat lower level than they would otherwise normally be for you when you are up to maintenance level. But in maintenance, your UDs will be higher. Pretty much like any other diet and way of eating.

AND.......... here is another thing to keep in mind. We all need to make sure our UD calorie level is correct FOR US! Just because somebody else can eat 2,000 calories on their UDs, or 1,800 calories, or 2,500 calories, doesn't mean that I can! Unhappily, the calorie level they can eat at has no bearing on the calorie level that I have to eat at.

And many, many, many of us have been used to overeating on whatever calorie level for years and even for a lifetime! So if that is the case and somebody is just not used to eating 'normally'.. that is, a 'normal' amount of food, they will need to come to terms with that and form a new habit of consumption. I think JUDDD is helping me to fight overeating, which had become a way of eating for me to a certain extent, and for that I'm thankful.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
To expand a little on what SoHappy has said, I think that the calorie suggestions that you get on the JUDDD website for up and down days are pretty good, as long as you are really HONEST about your activity levels.

I find that I just don't want to gorge on the up days, maybe because I'm combining with Fast 5, so I just have that 5 hour window in which to eat.

Yesterday I had a not as down as I could have day, but since I'm healing I don't want to prolong that process. Today is an up day, and I'll probably keep it a bit lower than usual to offset that, and I'll be fine for my true down day on Sunday.

Carrollee
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #118
Big Yapper!

Wow. Thanks for explaining all of that. But now I think I'm more confused. I didn't realize the dd and ud calories were so linked in that way. So, the fewer calories I eat on the dd will also necessitate eating fewer calories on the ud? I can't eat less than 500 on the dd, unless I go completely into fasting. It's easier to not eat at all than to eat only a little bit. But then, if I did that, then my ud would be 1000 calories?

I guess I'm going to have to keep things exactly the way they are and just be thrilled to keep up 2 lbs of loss each week. I can live with that.

I hear what you are saying, that each person is different and we have to work out the details for ourselves. I don't want you to think I didn't get what you were saying. So, it's all a learning process, and we tweak as we go. I can live with that, too. That's the absolute beauty of this plan. I can live with that!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
I didn't realize the dd and ud calories were so linked in that way. So, the fewer calories I eat on the dd will also necessitate eating fewer calories on the ud? I can't eat less than 500 on the dd, unless I go completely into fasting. It's easier to not eat at all than to eat only a little bit. But then, if I did that, then my ud would be 1000 calories?
Well, not written in stone at all!!! That is the suggestion and examples. And your suggested DD calories fast is based on what your UD calories should be. You don't have to follow their guidelines at all, and many just do higher calories on one day and lower calories on the next.. cycling their calories like that to make their overall weekly calories average out to a lower level, and they lose weight like that. But that goes back to, basically, an old-fashioned diet where you cut calories and lose weight. So you could, theoretically, have 1,800 UDs and 900 calorie DDs and that would average out to be 1,350 calories per day.. enough for most people to lose weight. That wouldn't be JUDDD really, but would certainly be a good form of calorie cycling.

JUDDD really does rely on UDs that aren't more (or not too often much more) than what your personal calorie level should be, combined with this very low calorie day of fasting.

This fasting is what brings on one of the main benefits of doing the JUDDD program at all! You can go to their site to read about the triggering of the SIRT1 gene, or the "skinny gene." As this gene is activated, specialized proteins are formed that protect cells from free radical damage while improving fat metabolism. This process produces effects similar to those produced by a calorie-restricted diet, a method that has been shown to improve health and prolong life in virtually every species that has been tested.

Doing JUDDD fairly correctly can trigger the *skinny gene* and give you the weight loss and health benefits of calorie restriction without having to restrict calories every single day! And the freedom of having those delicious, delightful, UDs to let my mouth taste some very exquisite tastes that are NO-NOs on other eating plans has been such joy!

Hope this explains it a little bit better. My thought is that you could be just fine on 500 calorie DDs, and that you just need to find what calorie level your UDs need to be. But most normal weight people don't lose control of their eating on UDs, which are theirs every day, and that's what a lot of us need to learn to do. I'm getting there and it's making me very happy.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

wow you guys are very busy. I will be back after I catch up.