Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm sorry you ran into trouble on your DD, Mona, but you did manage to keep yourself low, so that helps some, certainly. I'm especially glad you came here to post about it because we all can make use of your experience as a learning tool for ourselves. It gives us all something to really think about. So thanks for posting about your DD.

This made me realize that I don't have a plan for myself in case I'm caught out somewhere on a DD. The purses I carry are usually large enough to hold a can of some kind of *shake*, so while I'm at Sam's Club today, I'll read over the labels and buy a few of the chocolate ones. On DDs I'll carry one with me.

I'd never really given this any thought. And it's a DD for me today, plus a big workday away from home, so I'll pack my lunch cooler with my jar of iced tea plus a nice salad, ready to eat. Then buy some of those shakes along the way.....

Have a good day, JUDDDers!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Morning everyone. It seems like I'm starting to lose some of this water weight I've been holding onto post surgery, and am down 2 pounds so far. Today is my second DD. It's also grocery shopping day but I'll manage.

Carrollee
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #63
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Carrollee- And when you get rid of that water weight, you'll feel much better, too. Often when I'm bloated, I don't think that I feel awful, but when the water's gone, I feel so very much better.

Mona & SoHappy- Part of planning for DDs could be planning not to eat rather than preparing meals away from home. I read on a primal forum where a lot of people are involved in intermittant fasting, and they point out (helpfully for me) that we often worry about missing a meal when that can be an opportunity.

For example, today is a DD for me, and on Wednesdays, I do volunteer work from 10 am to 2 pm. I consider it great that I don't have to even think about eating during those hours--although I have issues with hydration and always have to make sure that I have water, tea, etc. By the time I get home, I think of the day as practically over, and a 100 cal meal will easily hold me to bedtime (I'm a morning eater, so I have 150 cal before I leave).
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
Good morning JUDDD'ers!

I had a stellar down day yesterday and am hoping for a great maintenance day.

And to echo what others have said, I have found that the longer I'm doing the down days, the better the up days seem to be. I have found that as I see the success of the down days (the scale going down), I want to protect that downward trend and while I eat enough on my up days to stay satisfied, I'm still *very* cognizant of making smart, healthy choices that keep my calorie intake in line.
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, I'm sure that I will feel better! Of course, I know it's more than water weight since I'm taking narcotic pain meds which definitely slows down my digestive system. Once that starts up again I'm hoping to see a real change.

I was just at the point where I was able to see the bottom of my rib cage in the mirror, and now I'm all puffy again. But I'm trying to be patient, since there's not much I can do other than focus on healing and taking care of myself. And this eating plan definitely helps me take it one day at a time!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eok2008
Stats: 324/316/169
WOE: CAD
Start Date: Restart CAD 11/29/2011
This is another dd for me. Looking forward to feeling better is my gaol. Yes the weight has to come off, but not feeling like doing anything really sucks.
eok2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #67
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Hi, everyone! My first UD went very well. I felt like I was in heaven, even though I was tracking my calories for everything and keeping it well under 2000. If this truly works for me and I can regain my body and my health, I will be the happiest camper you've ever seen!

DD #2 is underway. So far, I have only had some water. I am more of a late-day eater, as opposed to Leo who says she likes to eat in the morning. So, I'll have some tea and things like that until later on. I won't eat any more of that homemade soup, either. I'll save that for UD's.

I agree about the idea of running into trouble when out of the home environment and hungry. I think I will try to push past the hunger and ride it out (if I'm not prepared). I've done that in times past and it really does pass and you go back to feeling "normal." I'll just keep focusing on my goals and on the UD that is waiting just on the other side. When hunger really hits me, I feel totally nauseated.

I read your Journal, Blonde with a rose. It's very inspiring. I hope my first week results will be as gratifying as yours were. It's almost too much to hope for. I don't want to set myself up to be disappointed. And your monthly result is to die for. I will keep you all posted!

I also went back and read the after New Year posts on the December Juddd thread, to see what I missed and it turns out I missed some very good stuff! So glad I went back. I had never heard of Fly Lady, and I can sure use some inspiration in that department. Another New Year's goal! Incidentally, I have done that very same thing, when one month changes into the next. It sure makes you feel clueless, doesn't it? It's just funny.

Have a wonderful day, whether it is Up or Down!
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Checking in on my UD! Lots of good stuff here today (and yesterday).

Funny how everyone has a time of day (DD's) that is more conducive to eating. I eat in the morning because I take BP meds (hopefully not forever), and I save a meal for the evening to eat with my DH. This works for me. Strangely when I'm away from home it's easier to not eat at all. Home just "triggers" mealtime. For me anyway.

As for weight loss, I never ever expected to lose so much weight in the first month. In fact, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and leave me on a plateau. It will happen eventually, I'm prepared. I love this way of eating. I have come to look forward to DD's, not dread them like in the first week. I do feel better, overall, and I don't think it's just weight loss. There is something to the 500 cals or less day, I feel light, my movements feel easier. I feel free and in control, something that has been missing in my life for a long time. I would advise anyone new to this, to just hang in there in the first week or so, it does get easier and for me it's gotten almost "addicting". On the other hand, if someone suffers from low blood sugar issues it's going to be trickier. I also believe that this WOE is not for everyone. I don't mean to make it sound like it's "easy". It's not. It's just the best thing that's ever happened to me in the "diet world". I'm so grateful.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #69
Senior LCF member

magentagirl-
I'm really glad that you've got the focus on healing and taking care of yourself. That's exactly what you need to be doing. But as I read your words, I realized that it's a very good way to think of weight loss, too. Rather than images of smaller pants and dress sizes, I think it's more helpful to think of the process as one of healing and taking care of one's self.

People would talk less about 'cheating' and "going off plan' [as they do so often on the Main Lobby] if they saw their WOE as a form of self care. I think that too many people still see it as 'dieting' and as something imposed on them as punishment for being overweight.

I don't choose to "cheat" myself for compromise my health, and the way I choose to eat is entirely for health and well being.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Thank you, Leo for so much wise insight to JUDD. You back it up with experience and success, so I take it in.

Today is UP. About 10am I ate about 400 calories, 2 scrambled eggs sandwich on whole grain bread. No butter, mayo. Nutrionally sound, although has carbs.

I'm watching my UP's closer and keeping them under control.

I always had success at intermittant fasting and CAD. I think it's because I can go long periods without eating when I set a mind to. There's something very special about not feeling deprived EVERY day.

I like JUDD best of all. Simple/focused and doable. I guess if I can't succeed at this, I can't win at all. Oh, I know, some folks had rather 'diet' daily. But, I love the day-at-a-time method. We're getting into this so well.

Hope you all have a great day! Check back later.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #71
Big Yapper!

AMEN!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
You all are great. I enjoyed reading your post. They keep me going.

I wonder if kinds coming back. I miss her.

I also wonder about the man you told us about Leo
he was coming back at the end of November. have
you heard from him again?
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Carolee..... U r doing great! Your body is healing right now. I agree with Leo once the water weight is gone u will feel so much better. The pain medication can also be making u a bit blue along with your hormones trying to return to normal.

Daisey... I have borderline high cholesterol. I should have it checked again while on Judd. I am happy for your results.

Dd for me today. I am making some hard boiled eggs for the refrig as a go to snack.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Oh daisy I am dreaming of the beach too!!!!! April will be our vacation and I am already counting the days! N
Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Jodi thats a beach in the flordia keys. My daughter was married there last August.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

BEAUTFUL!!!!!! The wedding must of been amazing.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

JKat, I am sure my hormones are all over the place right now! I actually feel pretty okay, although I'm sad off and on.

Leo, That post is just so insightful about looking at changing eating habits as a way of taking care of yourself. I don't like to perceive my weight loss as a diet, although there are some things that I am not eating right now. I have an ultimate goal of being able to eat the foods that I want in moderation, and to crave the foods that I know are healthy for me.
It is easy for me to turn down a mediocre piece of chocolate cake now, and know that I am comfortable with enjoying a bite or two of something I really enjoy.
I do very much like food, but I was impressed by something that one of the chefs in the documentary "Kings of Pastry" said: it was something along the lines of, "in France every day we eat a little bit of food that we love, to keep our minds happy. Here there is no such thing as all-you-can-eat buffets." That is what I want my relationship with food to be like, that I can eat a little something that I enjoy every day, and never feel the need to stuff myself.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #78
Senior LCF member

Yes! Magentagirl, that's exactly my goal as well! I don't prohibit anything, but I try to make good food choices on a daily basis. Mark Sisson of "Primal Blueprint" talks about 80/20--i.e., we should aim to eat healthily at least 80% of the time and the other 20% won't do any real damage.

One of the things I like about JUDDD is that I've had small 'indulgences' with very little negative effect.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Magenta, Leo. THAT's what it is about JUDD. It's not so 'on-plan' vs 'cheating'. It seems to be a plan that is livable for people like me who love food. I'm a good cook and I like recipes and cooking. Every other day is OK. I'm going to get this right. My husband, Bill, is doing fine as well. He only needs to lose about 20#'s.
After my breakfast egg sandwich (400 cal.), I had some tortillas (200 cal.) and V-8 (100).
Then for dinner I had some ham/rice/onions casserole I had stirred up with leftover ham. It had some butter, chicken broth. About 800 cal. It was filling. I could have used some more vegs. I will next time. So, all in all, not a bad UD.
Took a nice long walk with Patches (my Aussie). Not feeling deprived at all and not dreading tomorrow's DD. Nice...
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi dasiey,
Yes I will be getting back.I have too. Mom leaves this weekend so I will restart.I can feel the weight I put on the last 2 months.I also need to get back to curves and work out.Glad to know that all seem to be doing very well.

Kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #81
Big Yapper!

Mona, I walked my dog today, too! I took her to the nearby Fish and Game for a 40 minute hike. I felt very virtuous, as well as feeling like a good mom.

My DD #2 is slowly coming to an end. Today I learned not to start taking in calories too early in the day, because they quickly add up. I had 2 instant cappucinos before noon (110 c.), then had a packet of instant oatmeal (plain variety), with liquid splenda and 12 grams of Craisins (I used water rather than milk, so that was 137 c.). Then I had a can of Campbells Chicken Noodle soup (the condensed kind,) with a little Tabasco (156 c.)

But it's only 7 pm and I have less than 100 calories left. I will wait until much later in the day from now on. I feel more deprived if I try to spread those 500 or less calories over so many hours.

Tomorrow around 4 pm, I have an invitation to join my family at Chuck E. Cheese for a kid party. I don't like their pizza much, but I am thanking God it's an UD. I will pace myself throughout the day, then enjoy a few slices of pizza at the restaurant. I could not go there with that kind of peace if I were still doing Atkins. What a joy this plan is!

I hope you all have a wonderful evening. TTYT
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Hi everyone,
I guess it is safe to say I have made it through my second DD as it is almost 9pm here and plan to get to bed as soon as hubby leaves for work. Today I was a bit hungrier than my first down day, but I expected it as I was a bit carbed up before my first DD. I am a nanny for two toddlers and am constantly faced with preparing snacks and meals for them which can be really hard some days. What I like is the light feeling and my mood and energy seem to be high most of the day, although I feel tired earlier in the evening than I normally would. I would go to bed if I could but I like to wait until hubby leaves so I don't get awakened by him getting ready for work. I have been reading through the book and questioning how I want to do weekends. I see Dr. Johnson says some people improvise rather than trying down days. I am not sure yet but I think I will try to stay as low as possible on Sunday which would be my normal DD. Have a great day tomorrow be it a DD or UD!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #83
Senior LCF member

Jean- I typically do DDs only on M, W, Fri. On the weekends, I make one of the days a "medium day" (depending on my schedule). A MD is basically the average of your DD/UD calories. For me, a MD is about 800-900 cal.

I want to mention that when I first tried this, I could never manage it. My MD always turned into an UD. Now I consider it a DD "with benefits." That is, I treat it like my normal DD, and then I add on a 'small' meal for the added calories. That seems to work best for me.

Dr. J advises a MD when you need to change your alternation or, like me, to keep your DDs the same every week.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jean- I typically do DDs only on M, W, Fri. On the weekends, I make one of the days a "medium day" (depending on my schedule). A MD is basically the average of your DD/UD calories. For me, a MD is about 800-900 cal.

I want to mention that when I first tried this, I could never manage it. My MD always turned into an UD. Now I consider it a DD "with benefits." That is, I treat it like my normal DD, and then I add on a 'small' meal for the added calories. That seems to work best for me.

Dr. J advises a MD when you need to change your alternation or, like me, to keep your DDs the same every week.
Thanks for the info Leo. Your plan sounds like a great idea. Today is an UD for me as well and I am happy about that.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Morning everyone! I am down another 2 pounds. So finally this water and surgery weight is coming off! And I'm still bloated, so I see more whooshes in my future.

I had a difficult DD yesterday and ended up having more calories than I'd planned, but since I'm recovering I think it's important to listen to what my body is saying it needs, since it was asking for some protein and fat and not carbs!

Today is a UD and I have good stuff planned to eat!

Carrollee
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
Leo, I didn't know you did MWF as down days as well. And I like your explanation of your medium day, that's what my Saturdays usually look like as well.

I'm having a down day today, not my usual schedule, but I'm being zen and going with the flow! The scale is down a little after yesterday's maintenance day so I think I'm letting go of the last of my holiday bloat and I'm hoping to get into some new weight loss territory (at least new to this round of weight loss) soon.

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #87
Senior LCF member

Carrollee- Yes! When healing as you are, ignore calories and just choose nutritious foods. I suspect that the body requires more energy (calories) for healing, and you'll be fine when you're fully recovered.

Valerie- Yes, I've done M, W, Fri DDs from the beginning because I know myself, and if I had to wonder every day whether it was an UD or a DD, I'd go nuts! For me, it's much easier this way. I also only worked out on UDs, and since my lap swimming already was on a Tues, Thurs, sometimes Sun., schedule, the MWF DDs made sense for me. Now that I've added some strength training to my workouts, I might do that on DDs, but I'm not yet sure. I may wait until I get to the added calories of a maintenance DD (next month, I hope).
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #88
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. I made it to my second UD! Whew! This is definitely a learning process. But it's so empowering. I feel free and in control, all at the same time.

Wow, Leo! You're one post away from 5K!!!!

Have a wonderful day, and I'll check back in later today.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eok2008
Stats: 324/316/169
WOE: CAD
Start Date: Restart CAD 11/29/2011
Looks like everyone is doing great with their way of eating. UD for me today. Yesterday's DD was a little harder, but I made it through. I am not quiet sure how I can get in some exercise. I am wiaitng for knee replacement surgery to be scheduled and most everything I do right now gives me pain. But I can at least do some arm weights or something. I am just tired of being tired and want to have some fun, even if it is just cleaning house. Haha.
eok2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #90
Senior LCF member

Since Cheryl mentioned 'control,' I thought I'd share my DD experience with all of you who are new and/or struggling with DDs.

Before I did my first one, I was fairly sure that I would be unable to do it! The idea of eating only 500 cal for a day (even one day) was so intimidating. I was sure I'd starve to death

What amazed me was not only that I was able to do it (and didn't starve to death , but that I experienced such a great sense of control over food for the first time in my life. I realized that in the past, I'd really felt almost victimized by food--i.e., I overate even though I wanted to lose weight and felt powerless to limit my eating. My DDs changed that completely.

I really feel that the success I've experienced with JUDDD is due to that changed relationship to food. I have continued to feel in control of my eating, even when allowing myself small indulgences.

For example, last Feb., I went on a 2-week cruise to Hawaii and my goal was to just maintain, since I assumed that DDs would be impossible and so would any loss. I tried to make healthy choices in my eating, but I also indulged in a few desserts along with way. I came home 2 lbs lighter! And since my usual loss is only a pound a week, that was amazing to me.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a weekend in New Orleans, and I'm not afraid of that wonderful food (best eating in the US!) because I am confident that I can limit myself as much as I wish to with the control I've gotten from JUDDD. The benefits of DDs are amazing.