Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #601
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Carrollee- In my experience, all weight management is best done one day at a time!
You're on the right track, as always.

I admire you for being able to combine JUDDD with Fast5--one restriction is enough for me. The few times I tried Fast5, I started getting 'anxious' at the idea that I couldn't eat until a certain time.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #602
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hi Carollee!

Hang in there!! One day at a time for sure.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey y'all,

I finished my MD and I hope, hope, hope not to have anything else tonight except my saved protein shake.

My totals for today are:
1,024 cals

48.7g fat (42%)

29.3g carbs (11%)

116.9g protein (47%)

14.5 g fiber

Have an awesome night y'all!!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 7/30/14...166.6/164.8/125
WOE: Whole30 as of 8/27/14
Hi everyone, checking in again. I am having a concern now that it's almost the end of my second week. I do weigh every day, but only record it (to my stats) on either Tues or Weds after a down day. Problem is, I feel like I'm not losing fast enough this way. I have been doing really good on plan, and I love it, but I'm wondering why I keep bouncing around within the same couple of pounds. I looked back at my journal from last week, and it shows that I only lost 1.1 pound between last Mon and this Mon even though it's not my "weekly" weigh in, I'm still concerned. I guess I just expected that since I have so much to lose (40 pounds), it would come off faster in the beginning?
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #605
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I wasn't losing either. And I was faithful to the plan. So I decided to lower my calories and fast 5. And I started losing again. But I had to get strict. But once a week on a up day. I will have a treat.

If my weight loss slows again I will then go LC. Right now I am eating what ever just counting calories.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #606
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttmom View Post
Hi everyone, checking in again. I am having a concern now that it's almost the end of my second week. I do weigh every day, but only record it (to my stats) on either Tues or Weds after a down day. Problem is, I feel like I'm not losing fast enough this way. I have been doing really good on plan, and I love it, but I'm wondering why I keep bouncing around within the same couple of pounds. I looked back at my journal from last week, and it shows that I only lost 1.1 pound between last Mon and this Mon even though it's not my "weekly" weigh in, I'm still concerned. I guess I just expected that since I have so much to lose (40 pounds), it would come off faster in the beginning?
Hi! Ok, a few questions. What number of calories do you hold your Down Days to? What number of calories do you hold your Up Days to? And do you alternate just those days, or do you do Medium Days? If so, what calories are they?

How tall are you? Is your current weight listed as 159.5 correct? How old are you?

What is your daily job? Are you a student? Walking to classes but mostly sitting in classes? Are you a homemaker, making beds, peeling carrots at the kitchen sink, vacuuming your carpets and dusting your furniture? Do you work in an office? Sitting at a desk all day? Do you work out, like in a gym? Weights? Treadmill? Aerobics classes? Every week? Every day?

There are just so many factors but 'everything else being equal' as they say, it is a balance of your current size, your current condition, your current exercise/calorie use level, and your average calorie consumption.

If we have a little more information about you and how athletic you think your days are we might suggest something. But actually your weight loss doesn't seem to be too bad. There are folks who'd give their eyeteeth if they were losing at your pace. But we'll see if we can help you fine tune it and increase the speed of your loss a speck.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #607
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hi! Ok, a few questions. What number of calories do you hold your Down Days to? Usually just have water,coffee and diet coke, so pretty low. What number of calories do you hold your Up Days to? I don't count calories on Up Days, but usually eat very little, I was unaware that you have to count calories on Up Days. And do you alternate just those days, or do you do Medium Days? I alternate UD/DD days If so, what calories are they? Had one medium day so far, and it was 1/2 cup of chicken tortilla soup and a green salad. Could not find the nutritional info online (it was at Red Robin) but I guess I was just assuming it was under 1000.
How tall are you? I'm about 5'2"-5'3" Is your current weight listed as 159.5 correct? Yes How old are you? 35

What is your daily job? I own a business, but work from my home (office work), and I raise horses, so I would say moderate activity level. Also raising my 3 boys (16,11,5) Are you a student? Walking to classes but mostly sitting in classes? Are you a homemaker, making beds, peeling carrots at the kitchen sink, vacuuming your carpets and dusting your furniture? Yes Do you work in an office? Sitting at a desk all day? Do you work out, like in a gym? Weights? Treadmill? Aerobics classes? Every week? Every day? No real fitness plan at all, just my daily activities of taking care of my house, kids, horses, dogs, and my business.There are just so many factors but 'everything else being equal' as they say, it is a balance of your current size, your current condition, your current exercise/calorie use level, and your average calorie consumption. Yeah, I may need to really start watching the calories very closely. Like I said, I usually eat nothing on DD's, and I do really watch my portion sizes on UD's, but have not been watching my calories on UD's. I'm wondering if maybe I'm eating TOO FEW calories overall?
If we have a little more information about you and how athletic you think your days are we might suggest something. But actually your weight loss doesn't seem to be too bad. There are folks who'd give their eyeteeth if they were losing at your pace. But we'll see if we can help you fine tune it and increase the speed of your loss a speck.
Thanks and I appreciate any advice you can give me I also have a question on the calorie calculator on his site. Do I go from the calories it says at my current weight, or do I go on the calories at my desired weight?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #608

Hi, Vicki,

The calorie figures these sites give are certainly just a rule-of-thumb sort of thing, but the JUDDD site is generally felt to be way-y-y-y too generous in the calories they say you should be eating and still be able to lose weight.

Based on your info, the basic guidelines for yourself would be in the vicinity of:

Maintenance:
1885 Calories/day
Fat Loss:
1508 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss:
1272 Calories/day

Now with the JUDDD program, it is not designed for you to eat at a weight loss calorie level every day. It's aim is to give you both the health benefits and the weight loss advantages of fasting and low calorie daily allowances while allowing you to eat at your level of complete daily calorie needs every other day.

That day of fueling yourself, the day that you aren't fasting, is very important in providing the fats you need to transport nutrient, you need the protein to build your muscle and organ framework, you need some fiber to aid in intestinal health, you understand... all the varied nutrients to keep your body healthy and your mind sharp and your metabolism humming away at its top speed. Remember, you are getting very little nutrient on your Down Days, so your Up Days are very important.

It's sometimes really hard to figure these amounts accurately and often you have to fine tune as you find how well it all is working for you. And since you don't keep track of the calories you consume on your Up Days, it's hard to know really what your averages are overall. Certainly if you are consuming NO calories on your DDs, then your averages are just the calories you are taking in on your Up Days. But we don't know what those are. Never-the-less, when averaged in with your non-existant DDs, they must be less than you require to maintain, as you are losing somewhat more than a pound a week so far. (And sometimes there is a large WHOOSH where you suddenly drop several pounds overnight of over a period of just a few days, so scale weight is only a part of the story.)

And then there are so many other factors like medications, health issues, etc.
And always the possibility of eating too few calories, which can cause the metabolism to slow somewhat, but not nearly as much as most people seem to believe. LOL The whole concept of JUDDD is to have every other day be a day of full calories so that your body never feels the need to slow down metabolism and conserve energy in the face of a 'famine' situation.

If it were me, I'd increase my DD calories to a minimum of 375, and up to about 500 per DD. I'd keep my UD calories in the range of about 1,550 up to about 1,850 sometimes, and then track it for another 3 weeks or so and see what happens.

I didn't know what to enter for you for 'daily exercise'. It sounds like your days are busy, certainly, but I don't know how much real exercise you get in, as in.. really sweating and huffing and puffing type of exercise, so I put you in as about the middle range. But that actually may be too high. Most of us think we get a lot more 'exercise' when what we actually are doing is just being busy. LOL At least that's me.

Good luck with this, and don't be too inpatient this early in the JUDDD experience. Sometimes, no matter what plan, it takes a bit of juggling to find just the right level to be eating at.

Others may have other views on this too, and may also wish to offer their opinions, just as this is only my opinion at this time, offered to hopefully give you something to think about.

I sure do hope you can continue to lose and even lose at a bit more rapid clip if that is what you are hoping for. There are so many health advantages to JUDDD in addition to weight loss, that I believe in its worth very much.

Good luck.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-31-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttmom View Post
Thanks and I appreciate any advice you can give me I also have a question on the calorie calculator on his site. Do I go from the calories it says at my current weight, or do I go on the calories at my desired weight?
You always figure your calorie needs based on your current weight, so your caloric needs will decrease as your body mass also decreases.

But, as I said above, most of us feel that the JUDDD site really estimates your calories way too high! It sounds nice, but no other site gives us those high allowances. LOL

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-31-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #610
Senior LCF member

tttmom-
First of all, 40 lbs isn't "a lot" to lose--it just seems that way to you (check my stats!), and your loss won't be very fast. Keep in mind that in terms of losing fat, scientists say that the most the human body can lose is 2 lbs a week--anything more is just water or muscle (not good).

Also, if you're a daily weigher, you'll find more fluctuations on JUDDD than with most plans, so it's good that you're keeping track of the number weekly.

If you're using the JUDDD calculator for calorie numbers, the DD number is reliable, but even Dr. J admits that the UD number is an 'estimate' and not reliable (I don't know why he includes it). My UD number would cause me to gain rather than lose, so you might want to check that.

However, losing 1.1 lbs in a week is quite normal for someone your weight. Now that I'm in my goal range, I only lost 2 lbs total in the month of January, even though I was trying to lose a little more.

Also keep in mind that the scale number itself is an 'estimate' at any given time and may not reflect your actual loss. I track weekly but really consider my monthly number as an estimate of my weight loss.

Finally, JUDDD is not designed for 'fast' weight loss. It was developed for a healthy way to lose weight. How much a person loses and how quickly is entirely dependent on the individual; we're all unique. If your goal is to lose fast, something no one advises, you might want to take a look at Stillman's plan that is also on this board.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #611
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Good Morning Judders!!

Well my week has been crazy. I have spent the last couple of days in the hospital.. Yup I had a pimple on my hand that turned out to be a staph infection. It started to track up my arm and spent the last couple days being on the other side of the bed. I think its going to make me a better nurse. Anyway I am on the mends. I did gain a bit while in the hospital and on antbxs. I emotionally ate!!! Oh well I got one good DD behind me yesteday and most of the water weight is gone. I do not think I need to beat myself up just pick myself up and move on. It is what it is and I can not change it. I will be out of work of another week.

The talk about binge eating is a tough one. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of girl... I have stuggled with JUdds up days but have been able to make it work for me. I am at goal and think that it makes a differance. I am not so sure I could do the plan if I had alot to loose. I am just being honest! I always tend to focus on my weight when I feel stressed. I have worked through alot of stuff but do find myself falling back to old habits at times. This plan or another I still stuggle with it. If I over indulge on a day as long as my dd is good the plan seems to work. I then tend to fall back into my range. I am not sure if I had alot of weight to loose if I could do it without putting more stucture on my up days. I tend to eat lower in carbs but do have an indulgance here and there.

Leo Thats fantastic that u lost a pound. U know when we get closer to goal its much slower. If u ate till statifaciton and still lost a pound then why r u thinking u need to change anything?? We both are approaching maitanence differant. Like you said whatever works for someone should be what they do. We are both finding success maintaining it differant ways. Judd allows us to that. High five on the loss..
Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
I have spent the last couple of days in the hospital.. Yup I had a pimple on my hand that turned out to be a staph infection.

The talk about binge eating is a tough one. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of girl... I have stuggled with JUdds up days but have been able to make it work for me.

Wow. I'm so glad you have the staph infection under control, and so sorry you had to be in the hospital with it! Some of these things are just so darned scary anymore. Glad you're on the mend and home again.

And as to the difficulty with Up Days and eating, I think the best way to treat them is to consider them the same as Down Days. I mean, that there is an upper calorie limit that you can't go over. (It's just a lot higher. LOL) That is, I figure my calories and plan my foods & eating on my DDs, and I mostly do the very same thing for my UDs. I keep my calories on the low end of my UD range (which I figured on whether I would be classified as low exercise or moderate exercise), and then if an UD goes a little over, if an unplanned get-together comes up or something, I'm still in my range pretty much.

I think I'll always have to keep tabs and semi-plan my UD eating, just to make sure I don't stray way over the limits much/too often and it becomes my routine way of eating.

I'm glad you're back. Hope you finish healing up fine.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #613
Senior LCF member

Hi Jodi!

Sorry about your stay in the hospital, but definitely don't beat yourself up about it. My last hospital stay I was fortunately not fed until the final day (and just two meals--which I ignored because I knew I was going home). I never saw so much starch on one meal tray in my life! It wasn't a healthy meal for anyone, and it would be impossible not to gain if I had to eat that food for even a day!

Here's my problem right now. I don't want to maintain with 350 cal DDs because they're hard, and I was hoping that in maintenance, I could go up to 600 cal (as Dr. J suggests). But if I let my UDs go over 1200-1400, then I'll gain unless I keep my DDs to 350.

I know that I can be totally satisfied at 1200-1400 cals, but somehow I keep going over, and that's what I want to control. Before I go to 600 cal DDs, I want to make sure that I'm regularly doing the right UDs. I did those UDs throughout my time on JUDDD, so I know that my increase lately is purely psychological.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jodi! Bless your heart! How awful! Do you think you got staph from working in the hospital? I am glad you are better now and please don't beat yourself up, over when you ate. It's a new day, just get back on track and keep going! We're here with you!

Leo: I don't have any words of wisdom, you are the wise one, so I'll say that I'm praying and hoping that you can adjust your calories to a comfortable maintenance level for both DD and UD. If ANYONE can, it's YOU!!

SoHappy: Good morning Sunshine! Congratulations on your weight loss and VWT!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Still praying that you all stay safe in the midst of the storm.

Vicki: You are getting some excellent advice here from those who know well! I just want to say hang in there!! Tobe successful on JUDDD, I HAD to start counting and count everything, UP and DDs.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #615
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning everyone!

My MD worked out, except I had 3 mini cubes of cheese at midnight cuz I was starved. I could not sleep so this was a had-to and I chose the least I could.

So, today is a DD and I'm looking forward to it! I want to be out of the 180's really badly and it looks closer and closer! Yeeehawwww!

Happy JUDDD y'all!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #616
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Hi Jodi!

Sorry about your stay in the hospital, but definitely don't beat yourself up about it. My last hospital stay I was fortunately not fed until the final day (and just two meals--which I ignored because I knew I was going home). I never saw so much starch on one meal tray in my life! It wasn't a healthy meal for anyone, and it would be impossible not to gain if I had to eat that food for even a day!

Here's my problem right now. I don't want to maintain with 350 cal DDs because they're hard, and I was hoping that in maintenance, I could go up to 600 cal (as Dr. J suggests). But if I let my UDs go over 1200-1400, then I'll gain unless I keep my DDs to 350.

I know that I can be totally satisfied at 1200-1400 cals, but somehow I keep going over, and that's what I want to control. Before I go to 600 cal DDs, I want to make sure that I'm regularly doing the right UDs. I did those UDs throughout my time on JUDDD, so I know that my increase lately is purely psychological.
This is why I combine my JUDDD with Fast 5. For me (and I know it's not the same for everyone) waiting until later in the day to eat helps me control my calories and it allows for the benefits of fastng. I have a much harder time losing with JUDDD alone because of the same reason. I KNOW you will figure it out Leo. You're the QUEEN, lol!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #617
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning everyone. Its an ud for me.
Hows everyone?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #618
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey are we gonna start our Febuary thread.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #619
Senior LCF member

Sorry dasiey, I forgot completely. I'll start it now.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for all the advice. I will start tracking all my calories and see what happens. I guess I was just frustrated because I am not losing as fast as I have before on Atkins. But... to me, this JUDDD is much easier and I can live long-term on this, if I don't get frustrated at the slowwww weight loss.
Anyway, have a great day everyone! Today is my DD, and final dd before 2 wk weigh-in tomorrow morning.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enlowb
Stats: 190 -180- goal 130
WOE: HCG - R1P2
Start Date: March 29, 2011
So, TTT...you have experience with Atkins and JUDDD? I started Atkins this year and enjoy it, except the no fruit. So, even though I am still in induction, I have added fruit. Do you find the JUDDD easier than Atkins because it's starting to get a little more difficult for me to stick with Atkins. I think to myself...oh, it's just a special day so I'll have that candy or whatever. On JUDDD, can you have those things you crave on your up days or is it still a bit limited?
enlowb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #622
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
hI, EVERY ONE.
tODAY IS A DD FOR ME.
gETTING READYFOR SNOW AND COLD.
wE ARE TO GET OVER 20 INCHES.
sTAY SAFE AND WARM.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
There's a new Feb thread now....you guys come on over!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote