Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
magentagirl-

So sorry for your loss! And I agree that it's mostly water, I'm sure.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Magentagirl~ I'm so sorry. I hope you are okay, take the time you need. We are here.

WelcomeAll Newbies to JUDDD. I was a newbie last month and I can report an 15.5lb loss so far.

I agree with Leo, finding what works the best on your DD is key. It may take a few of them (DD's) to know what's working for you. My first DD was the hardest. I obsessed all day about food and calories, I thought I would starve, but I made it...after that I have been using a set menu. Two boiled eggs in the morning sometime between arising and 11:00 am., then a large romaine salad w/ 220 calories of chicken breast, red wine vinegar and some salsa. It's my "go-to" DD until I get tired of it. I eat what I want on UD's and so far I haven't had a problem with over-eating (except once and I was miserable). I have found that sometimes I eat until late in the the day, sometimes not, but the later I eat on an UD, the later I have eggs on the DD. My stomach is asking for way smaller portions than ever before. This is the best way of losing weight I have ever found. I lost and gained the same 5lbs throughout 2010. This weight loss with JUDDD is gone baby gone, and not invited back.

And yes, attitude is everything. I promised myself I wouldn't be a "miserable" dieter. I tell myself every other day that "I'm not hungry. I can wait a few more hours. I can have another cup of tea. I can feel my tummy shrinking. I feel great!" I am more motivated than I've ever been, but motivation alone doesn't do it. A good plan that works for me, fits my lifestyle, and makes me feel so much more alive and well...that's what does it. I'm convinced!
6/27~226.6
8/01~235
8/06~233
8/15~229.8
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Jean- I've followed your posts on the Main Lobby and wonder why you're doing something as restrictive as JUDDD when you admit that you're 'burned out' from dieting? JUDDD is no walk in the park![/QUOTE]

I still need to lose and in fact have gained a few back lately. JUDD sounds to me like the perfect plan for someone like me who is burned out since I only need to restrict every other day.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #34
Senior LCF member

Yes, that does make sense, Jean. One reason I do JUDDD is that I can't lose unless I severely restrict calories, and trying to do that on a daily basis was really, really frustrating.

Being able to eat 'normally' on UDs is very, very helpful, I've found.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Leo. I think I have made it through my first DD and feel a little hungry but not too bad. I am a bit confused about the UD and calories. I used the calculator at the ADD website and it has you figure your cals for UD and DD??

ETA: Never mind I think I understand the UD more clearly after doing more reading.

Last edited by jeaniem; 01-03-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #36
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
First DD is almost over and I'm going to make it! I might have had a little over 500, but not sure. If I did, it was just barely. I had one bowl of soup that I had made a while back, and I can't tell how many calories are really in a bowl. It has sausage, kale, onion, cauliflower, garlic, chicken broth and many spices. I estimated 200 for an average sized bowl.

Other than that, I've had a cup of herbal tea with liquid splenda, some pumpkin seeds, chicken broth (from a box), and two International Foods French Vanilla coffees. Drinking plenty of water, too.

I started feeling a little frantic and obsessing about food around dinner time, for some reason. It was like I was beginning to panic over what there was for me to eat that wouldn't put me over my limit. But it passed after I ate that bowl of home made soup. I just hope I can sleep after drinking these late-day coffees!

It's so freeing to be able to drink something that has sugar in it! Tomorrow I will go shopping and stock up on lots of yummy things, but especially things that are low calorie so that I'm prepared for those DD's. I'll buy more of those coffees, too! Yum.

I weighed this morning, and recorded it in my ticker. I can't wait to record the losses from here on out! Tomorrow will be fun, eating freely without going overboard. Yippee!

Blonde, that is an awesome loss for one month! You must be jumping for joy. (What do people call you?)

Have a great night, ladies. See you tomorrow! So glad to be on this journey with all of you.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-03-2011 at 06:25 PM..
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
My diet or down day didn't work well today. I got very little sleep last night so I wasn't at my best today. I was hungry at work and stressed (never a good combination) and started to eat almonds. I had an Atkins bar on the way to my Mom's for dinner, by then I sort of gave up. That happpens to me sometimes, I just try to go with the flow and pick up again the next day. I'll do a down day tomorrow.
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #38
Senior LCF member

Cheryl- If you want to do the plan as promoted by Dr. Johnson, it's critical to be at 500 cal for every DD for the first two weeks. That's why he advocates shakes--i.e., he believes that most people overestimate their calories.

Personally, I can't handle shakes and have always had real food--BUT I never eat anything on a DD unless I know the exact calorie count. With so few calories allowed, it is so very easy to eat over one's limit. My solution is to avoid all 'recipes' on DDs and eat as basic as I can--e.g., egg whites, tuna, etc.

vee- A lot of posters here have had trouble getting the hang of DDs but usually manage it after a few tries. However, if you had a really low calorie day yesterday (but not officially a DD), it might be better to follow with an UD and try the DD next. That's because it's easier to do a DD when it follows a day of more 'normal' eating.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #39
Big Yapper!

You're right, Leo. I should not have had that soup, I suppose. But I did my first DD before I went shopping for new food choices. I could have waited to start JUDDD, but I think I did very well. If anything, I overestimated the calorie count and ended up under that 500 limit. I just count everything, including 5 calories for the herb tea. But I will be extremely meticulous in the future on my DD's. Thanks for the help. I totally agree with you and understand the importance of playing by the rules.

I woke up before 4 am today, so I'm waiting until a normal hour to begin my UD. I want to keep things in balance.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Good morning!

Off to Wk today is an up. I have tons of food to keep me on track today. All lean meats and veggies. I also made an oatmeal pancake for snack if I get hungry.

I agree down days may take time to get use to. It really is a trial and error.

Cheryl.... Try to stay below 500. The first two weeks it's really important. U will get the hang of it now that u shopped. I sometimes get anxious too about what I am going to eat. I try to remember that the next day I can eat. It sometimes help to k ow I will not starve and next day is always an up

Last edited by JKat; 01-04-2011 at 03:48 AM..
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Good morning everyone. For the most part my dds are easy for me now. I also fast once in awhile its not reqired I just like to do it.

Its the frist time I got thru the holidays without gaining. I hope to be at my goal weight soon. Still have a few pounds to go. but I am not going to stress over it. I know with Juddd I will get there.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #42
Senior LCF member

Cheryl-
Keep in mind that the 500 cal limit on DDs is not just for 'playing by the rules.' According to Dr. J, that restriction will activate the SIRT1 gene that provides healthful benefits from this program. If you're only interested in weight loss, that might not be really important. Some people here think that it 'spurs' weight loss, but I don't recall Dr. J making any claims for it in that regard.

The only 'scientific' study that he reported is evidence that it helps heal asthma. Interestingly, we had a poster with emphysema who had not read the book and didn't know about the asthma study. She reported that after a month on JUDDD, she was using less of her meds and was able to quit her inhaler totally. She didn't know why because that had never happened with weight loss previously.

So there may be many 'hidden' health benefits to JUDDD, and that's the reason for the restriction for the first 2 weeks. We've had some people only interested in weight loss who regularly had 600-800 cal DDs and still lost well--they weren't interested in this mysterious gene.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi, Everybody! I see there are new JUDDDers with us and everyone is off to a great start in 2011. I think this is going to be a great year and full of accomplishment!!!

I had a *brain fart* and Leo had to come rescue me... I forgot there would be a new thread for the new month (and year), and I was still over in the December thread.. (duh) wondering where everyone was. I finally decided everyone must be too busy from the Holidays to post. I feel like the little laggard who wasn't paying attention and looked up to find the rest of the party had gone on, and absent-minded little laggard was now alone and lost. I can only blame my temporary memory loss on too many carbs over the Christmas/New Years period. LOL

I was tickled to hear that you are now down in the 150s, Leo. Congrats. Breaking into another weight level always feels encouraging.

I think all of you JUDDD newbies are going to love this. This way of eating is so easy to adapt to however dieting, weight management, and nutrition seems to work the best for you. If you want to keep to low or lower carb, that's great. If you long to add in some of the higher carb foods, you can manage that too. If you don't much like fruits and veggies, this will work, and if you LOVE fruits and veggies, this will still work well. Geez! It's just so easy and adaptable. I love it!

Had a pretty good DD yesterday, just hot tea so far today.. waiting for DH to get home from his workout this morning and then we'll go up to the little French place for breakfast. Great coffee and absolutely wonderful pastries. Did you know it takes TWO DAYS to make a Croissant correctly?

Well, I'm incorporating the FlyLady program of home management, so I'm off to get started for the day. Have a great day, Everyone!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eok2008
Stats: 324/316/169
WOE: CAD
Start Date: Restart CAD 11/29/2011
Good morning all! I made it through my first DD without too much of a problem. I usually do very well until after the evening meal and then I want too snack. I just have to figure a way of keeping myself busy during that time period. Now its time to get working. Have a blessed day all!
eok2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (51, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 11/30/13
Well, yesterday's DD started out fine, but didn't end well. I had my "regular" dinner along with a protein bar.

I will have a moderate UD today to keep to my schedule. I am sore from my workout yesterday, but a good sore! Today is a day off of exercise.

I'm excited to see the new faces!!
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #46
Senior LCF member

Lynne-

I only work out on UDs (and Dr. J recommends that as well). Exercising on DDs can stimulate appetite too much, IMO.

Of course, you can consider adding in the calories you 'burned' during exercise, but I find that much too unreliable to determine for myself (I have an exceedingly slow metabolism, so there's no real way to determine how many calories I can count for working out--if any).
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Good morning, all! Today's a DD for us. I'm still working out 'perfecting' our UD's. I'm going to focus a little better on what we eat on those days.
My DD's are easy as I am having Atkins shakes. Satisfying and easy to count.
About the 500 rule. Am I confused? When I went to the JUDD website, I did the formula and my UD count is about 2123, my DD is 425. Bill's is 2574 UD and 515 DD. So it varies some according to age, gender and activity and weight. Right?
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Morning everyone!
I am down a half pound after my DD. I still feel (and look) incredibly bloated but I know that the pain meds aren't helping with that. I wasn't so great about my water intake yesterday, but I'm doing better today on that.
I did okay with my DD until last night when I got really hungry and then when I woke up this morning I felt awful. I feel better now that I've had my coffee and I'll be eating a bit later on (since I'm not hungry anymore).

Carrollee
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the advice, Leo, but yesterday really was more of a regular day than a down day, so I'm pretty sure I'm good for a down day today. I can usually tell if I'm going to have a good down day or not by mid-morning and I can tell better how I'm feeling. I usually don't have any trouble keeping to my MWF schedule for down days, but sometimes I do and I just compensate by shifting the schedule over a day or skipping it and getting back on schedule.

I can never make a Saturday a real down day, it's date night with DH and we always go out for dinner, but I can fast until then and enjoy a moderate deficit day on Saturdays. Sometimes that works just as well, two real down days, a moderate deficit day and then the other maintenance days.

I don't really call my up days, up days. I know it's semantics, but it doesn't sound right to me. I've been calling them maintenance days, so I eat as if I'm in maintenance. No sugar, no wheat and only 1-2 small portions of starchy vegetable or whole grain, but I eat regular portions and if I'm hungry I can snack a little. My Saturday night date nights are my free meal once a week where I can have a little bread or pasta or sugar if I want them, but only in that one meal a week.

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #50
Big Yapper!

I love how active this thread is, and how friendly you all are! Bless you.

I went shopping today and I'm pooped. Six stores later, my pantry, frig, and freezer are stocked like they haven't been in over a year (since I've been on Atkins.) It looks like somebody else lives here! I spent nearly all the money I had budgeted for food and drink for the month, but I'm all set and next month, many of those things will still be around.

Leo, I want it all! Not just weight loss. Like you, I am postmenopausal and hypothyroid (Hashimoto's.) I take meds for BP, a beta blocker, sleep aid, anti-depressant, etc. When my weight is up like it is now, my hands feel arthritic and stiff. I have chronic back pain (upper and lower spine) and my hips ache from Osteopenia (oh yeah; forgot Fosamax for that, too.) So, I want to drop not only weight but YEARS. I want to feel as close as I did to when I was in my late 20's as I can get. I want my life back!

I see what you all are talking about in regard to monitoring your calories on your UD's, too. I am doing it automatically, and I can see that it's not only good practice (for someone who has only been concerned with carbs for so long,) but it's also great to be totally aware of what I'm taking in. When I weigh-in, I'll be able to see the results and adjust something, until I get the results I "crave." I'm weighing everything on a postal scale and using Fit Day to track everything. (I love Fit Day.)

So now it's time to crawl into some comfy PJ's and read a good book. So far, I feel great. I know this is going to be so much easier to do, and still live in the real world. Atkins was always such a headache, unless I was home alone. No more packing special foods and drinks with me when I go for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner! I can eat Smores when we go camping! I only hope and pray that I can lose weight on this plan. Reading about all of your successes inspires me so much!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I want you all to know tht I had high cholestrol readings. and after 1 month
on Juddd it went to normal.

I believe it can help with health issues as well.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #52
Big Yapper!

Wooohoooo! Glad to hear that, Dasiey!

(I'm on a statin, too. It's a wonder I'm still alive!)
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #53

That's wonderful, Dasiey! So happy to hear your good report, and I know you are feeling great about it. Thanks for reporting that.

I agree with you that this restricted calorie way of eating should be very healthy. I truly believe that there are many people in North America and many, many countries in the world these days, who are eating themselves to death! It doesn't happen immediately.. but year by year, bit by bit, the body is overcome by poor nutrition at the same time it is being assaulted by the burden of fat it has come to labor under.

That's why I am resolved to never gain above where I am right now, and to even lose a bit more before springtime warms my bones again. AND why I think it is really important to pay attention to overall nutrition now. I am now cutting out a certain amount of food in order to reach the lower calorie levels this plan calls for, especially on the Down Days, so I think it is important to make very certain that I don't skimp on my very real nutritional needs. ****** is a big help for me on that. So is a multi vitamin.

Glad you posted. Continued good health on JUDDD.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #54
Senior LCF member

Great news, dasiey!!! I'm so glad this is working so well for you.

Mona-Yes, the calorie "allowance" for JUDDD depends on size and activity level, etc. Keep in mind that although your husband's DD # is over 500, he should stay at 500 for the first 2 weeks of DDs if possible.

You should also understand that for most of us, the UD calorie allowance is a fiction. I could never lose weight on that number, and somewhere I read (either on his website or in the book) that Dr. J admits as much. He gives an UD number for 'guidance' but says most people have to find their own level. We had people on this board stuffing themselves to try to eat to that UD number, so that's why I'm mentioning it.

Valerie- I call them UDs out of habit, but they're really more "maintenance" days for me, too. I rarely eat more than 1200-1400 calories on an UD, and I focus on getting as much nutrition out of those calories as possible.

Cheryl- I hope this works as well for you as it has for me, since we're so similar. I, too, have Hashimoto's, but the difference between us is that my thyroid hormones (synthroid and cytomel) are the only Rx meds I take!
I don't know whether it's the weight loss, my WOE (very primal with no dairy, grains, sweeteners), or the effect of JUDDD, but I have severe osteoarthritis and take nothing at all--and have very, very little pain these days. My BP, cholesterol, etc. are all fine.

In fact, I was seriously considering double-knee replacement, but the last time I saw the surgeon, he agreed that I seemed to be doing just find as is (I'm limited, but I've accepted those limitations, since I was never one to climb mountains.)

Keep in mind that I lost ALL my weight post-menopause, so it can be done!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi everyone
Just checking in have done one DD and one UD today. I didn't overeat today on my UD just comfortably full which is a nice feeling. I am not looking forward to DD tomorrow but am not really dreading it either as I feel better already. Have a great evening everyone.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

I have osteoarthritis and asthma and allergies. I haven't been doing JUDDD down days of 500 calories or less, but I may just try that sometime when I have two weeks of time that would work well for it (not now, year end at work and it's stressful, I know better than to try to restrict my eating too much right now). I'd like to see if I get any significant improvement in my symptoms with the traditional JUDDD.

My down day today was great! No problems whatsoever and I'm feeling strong and energetic. Today was a gym day and I was feeling stronger than usual. Upped my weights on a couple of exercises and hit 2 full minutes on my plank for the first time ever!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hi everyone
Just checking in have done one DD and one UD today. I didn't overeat today on my UD just comfortably full which is a nice feeling. I am not looking forward to DD tomorrow but am not really dreading it either as I feel better already. Have a great evening everyone.
Believe me, if you are like most people, and if you can keep your UDs pretty much within reason, your DDs will have you losing weight! They are really, really a key part of this program as far as losing weight goes, and they are a real boon to your physical health.

It does take a little while to retrain your brain to be comfortable on such low calories, but pretty soon it doesn't even question that calorie level much, and you will begin to enjoy the *sleek* feeling in your belly.

If you can just tough out the first few DDs (which are admittedly hard sometimes) you will get quite used to it, and then will come your success!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Believe me, if you are like most people, and if you can keep your UDs pretty much within reason, your DDs will have you losing weight! They are really, really a key part of this program as far as losing weight goes, and they are a real boon to your physical health.

It does take a little while to retrain your brain to be comfortable on such low calories, but pretty soon it doesn't even question that calorie level much, and you will begin to enjoy the *sleek* feeling in your belly.

If you can just tough out the first few DDs (which are admittedly hard sometimes) you will get quite used to it, and then will come your success!
Thanks for the encouragement! It was weird today after yesterday being a DD I still felt no desire for food until mid-morning. I try to start eating as late in the day as possible because once I start eating my appetite increases.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Learned a lesson today. Our DD. I had eaten about 100 calories only when I left the house to run errands. This was about 3pm. Afer being 'out there' a couple of hours, I had to get something to eat because I felt sick a little. I should have had something before I went.
I ate about 400 calories of a 6" subway sandwich. I didn't get to eat the full 6" because it would be too high in calories. Low fat, no mayo or oil, just meat, vegs and some of the bread. Diet coke. Made me feel better, but left me with no calories left for later in the day. Still, I stayed good for a DD.
You do have to be prepared on the DD's. 500 calories is not a lot of food. I usually just have Atkins shakes. I'll be better prepared next time.
Tomorrow is an UP. But, I'm going to work on eating very healthy choices, not too much.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #60
Senior LCF member

Mona- In my experience, planning is the key to all weight loss! But it's especially true for DDs. There aren't many calories to 'play around' with. I always have my foods planned in advance (including how I will manage if I have work, errands, etc. that will take me from home). I guess my obsessive personality works well with JUDDD

Jean- As others have posted, the DDs become 'easier' to deal with once you see the benefits. I've often been tempted to 'give up' and skip a DD by eating more, but I don't because I have experienced their value in my WOE. I plan to continue DDs (at I hope a slightly higher calorie level) for maintenance. And after a while, they do become 'normal'--at least they have for me.