Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #451
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I just looked online real quick before I made them. Made a whole tray of them. Ate them all. It might have been about a cup of kale, fresh, if I really packed it into the measuring cup, and a Tbsp of EVOO.

They are extremely fragile compared to a chip manufactured from potato or corn, so not for scooping dip up with, but interesting enough that I'd make them again.

I think if I had crunched them all up and measured the amount, it wouldn't have come out to be any more than about 1/8 cup of toasted kale crumbs.

But I may not ever need any more Vitamins A or C for the rest of my life! LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #452
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
RealFood-
Congratulations on your loss! That's how I focus my own weight loss--decade by decade--and it's always a great feeling to get into a new one. I've also found that my body tends to resist that--i.e., I can get through something like the 190s fairly well, but getting into the 180s was tough. This happened over and over, so I'm convinced that somehow the body digs in its heels at each new decade

Yes, I've kept my DDs at M, W, Fri since I began JUDDD. What I do is make either Saturday or Sunday a MD, depending on whether I have something social going on. If not, it usually winds up being Sunday because I fail on Saturday! I found that the trick to a MD (which took me a while to master because they became UDs too quickly) is to treat it as a DD--and then just add a meal or snack that you don't usually have. By the way, when I hadn't mastered the MD and had two UDs in a row, I didn't notice a big difference in weight loss (if any at all), so it probably wouldn't be so terrible to have two UDs.

By the way, I took NSAIDs for over 20 years for my arthritis--none for the past 5-7 years since I've been managing with diet and exercise. Mobic is the best one (and the last one I took), but you can't take any NSAIDs 'as needed.' They work on the level in the blood, so they need to be taken regularly or not at all. If you get any relief at all from taking it 'as needed,' I suspect it's a placebo effect because scientifically, it takes a couple of days of regular doses to get true pain relief from them.

My sister needs pain relief occasionally, and although she's taken NSAIDs in the past, she finds that Aleeve works on an 'as needed' basis just as well for her.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
SoHappy: Did you bake yours in the oven, 350 for 15 minutes? Did you stir them or turn them over during? I am REALLY interested in doing these once I have organic fresh kale, but I need to check the carbs I guess. Do you know what they are?

Leo: Once again you have really helped me by sharing what you've experienced and I can learn by what you've walked through. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I was concerned about how to figure a MD and didn't want to start sliding or compromising, ya know?

Would you mind helping me sort this out? I'm kind of weird that way, I have to have clear limits or I'll not stick to anything.

Right now, my DDs are 400-500 cals / <20 gms carbs and my UP days are <1500 cals / <30 gms carbs, so my MD should look like this? <1000 cals / 25-30 gms carbs? Or something different?

I really like the idea of set days for UP and DDs, it would help me not get confused remembering which day is up or down, I could remember, if it's Monday, it's an UP day. I want to have my UP days be on Fridays and I can go for a MD on Sunday. That gives me SOOO much freedom and relief from trying to remember.

So my plan looks like this: my DD's will be Tues-Thurs-Sat , Sun will be my weigh day and a MD.

Whoooo hoo, that really relieves the stress I've been experiencing to have a set schedule! I know, I'm really strange! But I have so much on my mind, this is one less thing to remember and it helps me with the mindset of long term.

Oh, thank you for the input on the NSAIDS as well.

Thank you again!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #454

RealFoodLiving, I did my kale for 11 minutes. My recipe instructions said 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes, so I set my timer for 12 minutes, turned on the interior oven light, and kept a real close eye on the baking the last couple of minutes.

At the 11 minute mark, everything looked like it was browning around the edges really well, and I'd read somebody's post that said they go from brown to black really fast! and I didn't want that so I grabbed the tray out.
When I touched the leaves, they were quite firm and crispy. I would have expected softening and becoming wilted and floppy from the heat, but the opposite was what happened.

Quite crisp and fun to eat.

Kale: 4 oz. are 11.4 carbs and 2.3 fiber for 9.1 net carbs.

I know you are trying to keep your carbs low at this time, so perhaps you will only want to weigh out 2 oz. of kale and make a smaller batch, although I bet 2 oz. would still make enough crisps to cover a baking sheet.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you SoHappy!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evening Y'all!

Feeling somewhat better, the Mobic, rest and lots of fluid seemed to have helped me over the worst of it.

I went ahead and made today my MD and I am excited to get on a set schedule, tomorrow being a DD.

I'm shooting to be finished eating for the day and my totals are:

MD
1016 cals
50.6 gms fat
34.9 gms carbs
92.5 gms protein

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-23-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I have lost two post!!

WTg reallife on your loss!!!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
I have lost two post!!
Lost two post? Pounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
WTg reallife on your loss!!!
Thank you, thank you! I am loving JUDDD and all the helpful people here!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/162/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
Hello everyone, just checking in. Glad it's going good for everyone. Went up 0.4 to 161 this morning, but it will come off. Up day today, and I did alot better than Fri...lol Tues morning will be my 1st full week weigh-in. Hoping to be under 160. Have a great evening everyone
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi y'all!

I just realized I was confused about tomorrow (Monday). I wrote that it is a DD, but it's NOT! Since I want to have an UP day every Friday, my UP days need to be M-W-F.

Today was a MD day for me (about 1000 cals).

Should I make tomorrow a MD as well (around 1000 cal) or should I do a full UP day (1500 cals).

I sure could use your advice and experience here! Are two days at 1000 cals not a good thing (thyroid-wise) or are there any problems with doing a MD and then an UP day?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #461

Hi, tttmom. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you to be down at 160 on Tuesday morning when you weigh! If today was an UD, and tomorrow will be a DD, that will be a good lead-in to your Tuesday morning accounting. You're so close.

RealFoodLiving, if it were me, I'd go straight into my Monday UD tomorrow. Didn't you decide you were going to have Sundays be a MD for you? So today was. At about 1,000 calories. Good job.

And then tomorrow morning starts your new round of M-W-F Up Days and T-Th-S as your Down Days with next Sunday being your MD once again.

ETA: Just reading back..... JKat, did you say that you'd lost two pounds? If that was it, Congratulations! Good job!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-23-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #462

Had a wonderful UD, with my calorie allowance filled to the brim, and every bite a yummy one. I expect to definitely see the number on the scale be a higher one in the morning.

So I'll be relying on tomorrow's DD to set it all right and maybe bring me down a fraction more even.

Hope you all had a good weekend and a great Sunday.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Had a wonderful UD, with my calorie allowance filled to the brim, and every bite a yummy one. I expect to definitely see the number on the scale be a higher one in the morning.

So I'll be relying on tomorrow's DD to set it all right and maybe bring me down a fraction more even.

Hope you all had a good weekend and a great Sunday.
SoHappy, that sounds divine!! I'm thrilled you are doing so well and enjoying this so much!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #464
Senior LCF member

RealFood- I was off the internet yesterday, but you seem to have gotten the answers to all your questions. Yes, after a MD, just go to either an UD or DD, whatever you're trying to adjust to. I've done both to get my alternation the way I want it.

In my opinion, you're wise to go with set days. I've found it much easier to deal with DDs on specific days so that I wake up knowing which 'day' it is. I know myself and realized immediately that if I tried for a 'true alternation,' I'd get too confused, have too much stress, etc.

Some people who used to post here found that they lost better with true alternation (which gives you an extra DD every 2 weeks), but I don't think I would have been able to manage that type of schedule. For one thing, I work out on specific days that would be difficult to change, and Dr. J warns to work out on UDs, not DDs. That's another reason I wanted to keep my days the same each week.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #465

Good Morning, Everyone. Monday morning, and I'm doing a DD. My DH has a pretty full day with two different get togethers with groups of old buddies, so his breakfast and lunch will be out with them. I'll have lots of time here alone, and I will fill it keeping busy, doing a lot of cleaning and sorting around here. That will help the DD go by quickly.

Weight wasn't up after yesterday's big UD after all. In fact, down another bit. I can't really understand how that can be, but I'll take it.

Have a great day. I'll be checking in throughout the day to read your posts. You all help keep me motivated.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning JUDDDers! Happy Monday to us all!!

How is everyone doing this fine morning?
How was your weekend?

Thank you for replying LEO! Your info is so helpful!

SoHappy, Congrats on your loss even after an UP! Whooo Hooo! Your body seems to be trucking along in weight loss mode!

We got some snow and ice here last night, and we are expecting more today through Wednesday, so we're hunkering down. Except hubby is out in it today.

I did the MD day yesterday but added a little bit before bed (starving) but still ended up a little higher for a MD and not quite enough an UP day.

My scale showed a pound GAIN this morning, so I'm wondering about having another UP day today. But, I need to get on the set schedule, so I may make this an MD instead. We'll see how hungry I am

I made some homemade stock last night for my DDs this week and I'm planning them in advance as well as my UP days so I'm praying they will go smoothly.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #467
Senior LCF member

SoHappy & RealFood-
If you choose to weigh daily, that's fine. But you both seem to be under the impression that the food we eat today will be reflected in a scale weight tomorrow morning--i.e., any gain or loss is a result of what you ate in the previous 24 hrs.

That's dangerous thinking because I've noticed on the Main Lobby that people then try to 'tweak' their eating based on that scale number.

It takes the body about 48 hours to thoroughly process the nutrients we provide it on any given day. And only then will those nutrients influence the number we see on the scale. Our 'scale weight' depends on a variety of factors, and never reflects what we've eating within the past 24 hours.

The only exception is that if someone is eating very low carb, a very high carb day might result in a sudden influx of water--but even that can take 36-48 hrs to show on the scale for some people. [There was a woman on the ML a while back who posted joyously that she had a high carb binge but didn't gain anything. She retracted 2 days later when the scale showed the gain, puzzled because she had gone right back on plan for those 2 days.]

Moreover, JUDDD produces bigger fluctuations than Atkins or any other plan, so it's unwise to make food choices or other assumptions about weight loss based on daily scale numbers. Personally, I only analyze my scale numbers in retrospect, looking at the past month or two and the patterns I observe. On a daily basis, I just focus on controlling my eating. Since I usually stay within my calorie limits, I don't post them, but when I was just doing generic low carb (pre-JUDDD) I posted my daily calorie numbers on my calendar, along with my weekly weight, to help me with that monthly analysis.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
SoHappy & RealFood-
If you choose to weigh daily, that's fine. But you both seem to be under the impression that the food we eat today will be reflected in a scale weight tomorrow morning--i.e., any gain or loss is a result of what you ate in the previous 24 hrs.

That's dangerous thinking because I've noticed on the Main Lobby that people then try to 'tweak' their eating based on that scale number.

It takes the body about 48 hours to thoroughly process the nutrients we provide it on any given day. And only then will those nutrients influence the number we see on the scale. Our 'scale weight' depends on a variety of factors, and never reflects what we've eating within the past 24 hours.

The only exception is that if someone is eating very low carb, a very high carb day might result in a sudden influx of water--but even that can take 36-48 hrs to show on the scale for some people. [There was a woman on the ML a while back who posted joyously that she had a high carb binge but didn't gain anything. She retracted 2 days later when the scale showed the gain, puzzled because she had gone right back on plan for those 2 days.]

Moreover, JUDDD produces bigger fluctuations than Atkins or any other plan, so it's unwise to make food choices or other assumptions about weight loss based on daily scale numbers. Personally, I only analyze my scale numbers in retrospect, looking at the past month or two and the patterns I observe. On a daily basis, I just focus on controlling my eating. Since I usually stay within my calorie limits, I don't post them, but when I was just doing generic low carb (pre-JUDDD) I posted my daily calorie numbers on my calendar, along with my weekly weight, to help me with that monthly analysis.

Ahhhhhhh, thank you Leo!! I was getting a little concerned and not enjoying JUDDD as much I should. You're right of course, I should not let the scale readings on a daily basis determine my eating for the next day.

THANK YOU, I needed to hear that this morning as I was struggling with whether to have a MD or go ahead with the scheduled UP day based on today's gain after yesterday's MD.

WHEW, I feel better now. I really want to enjoy JUDDD and not obsess over every little thing. I believe the concept works. So today will be my regular scheduled UP day. I don't want to "tweak" yet, I'm too new to this whole thing.

I appreciate your posts so much!!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Morning Juddders! I'm closing in on completing Week 2 on the plan. I'm going to weigh tomorrow a.m. Hoping for the best...I had read what I could on this forum before starting and had liked Leo's fixed-day idea. So, from the beginning I started on a fixed DD/UD schedule with M/W/F my down days and T/Th/Sa/Su up days with either Saturday or Sunday being a medium day depending on what was planned. Well, this past weekend, I knew we were going to a football party (Go Steelers!). I did an MD on Saturday and yesterday...I stayed low carb but I think I ate a minimum of one pound each of cheese and cold cuts. Seriously. Not to mention the LC jalapeno poppers I took as my contribution.

I'm still not hungry this a.m.

The party was fun, and I enjoyed myself so much. It was kind of liberating to think that I really could have eaten some of the yummy other stuff that was there, but I opted to stuff myself with LC things to keep me full so I'd stay away from the booze and the goodies. It worked but yikes, the calories.

I figure that once I get to goal I will let myself weigh every day again. For now I'm trying very hard to just do it once a week. I'll have some help in this, since we leave on Saturday for a three-week trip and I won't be able to weigh while we're gone! It really is a struggle for me to stay away. I have a big "doctor" type scale so I can't just hide it under the bed. It's just sitting there staring at me every time I walk past, saying "jump on! Jump on!"

Donna
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,

It sounds like this is really fitting into your lifestyle! I agree, set days is SUCH a great way to do JUDDD and I learned it from reading Leo's posts!

Your party sounds awesome and I'm glad you could enjoy yourself on your UP day. That is the beauty of JUDDD, yes?

I also have a large doctor's scale, LOL! So, I'm hear ya!

Where are you going for 3 weeks? Vacation? Will you be JUDDDing while you're gone? I hope you can check in with us and say HI!!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
SoHappy & RealFood-
you both seem to be under the impression that the food we eat today will be reflected in a scale weight tomorrow morning
I can't speak for RealFood, but you've leaped to the conclusion that I am under this impression. I completely understand that weight gain and loss for any 24 hour period isn't tied to only the nutrition received in a previous 24-hour period.

However, what is eaten one day can certainly influence a scale reading the following morning. I ate a great deal of food by weight yesterday, and to put this delicately, the residue hasn't passed yet. Additionally, yesterday was a higher salt day, which I love. I expected more immediate resultant fluid retention, which does happen sometimes, but it didn't occur this time. I'm drinking a bit more fluid these days, so that is likely helping.

Thank you for pointing it out, though. For any who don't know how truly complicated and intertwined it all is, simple and normal daily weight fluctuations can be elating and then deflating. When I'm in 'weight-loss mode', I like to chart my weight daily and watch it jig and jog, up and down, but lower and lower overall. This is how I've felt most confident in my weight loss, and how I feel strong in holding the line in my maintenance periods.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #472
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I don't do set days. I do rotate. But if something is coming up and its gonna fall on dd. I will throw a md in there, to make it work out. Or if it falls on dd I will eat at the event and fast the rest. Its really whatever works for you. Juddd is that easy. But we all know it can be very hard as well.

My weekends are for the most part where I have trouble. But this weekend was great.
I stuck with rotation and so for today is ud.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
SoHappy - We like to escape the Western PA winter for a few weeks every year. We usually go to Florida, but last year it was so cold in Florida we decided we might as well have tried some place new and said this year we'd go to the Carolinas. So we're going to Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and some place called Lake Marion/Santee. We stay in timeshares so I'll have full kitchens to work with. We typically don't eat out a lot when we travel - figure the less money we spend on restaurants the more we can travel - so I'm pretty confident I'll do well on JUDDD. In fact, I'm so thrilled with the plan so far that I am confident I'll come home losing weight for the first time ever! I'll have my creaky old laptop and as long as it doesn't die on me, I'll be able to stay motived with all you here on the board.

I don't expect we'll do any swimming in the ocean, ha ha, but I'm hoping it will be warm enough to do some walks along the beach. I am such a total slug, I HATE exercising, but love to walk on the beach.

Speaking of exercise, does anybody know what it costs to belong to Curves? Our local "half off" deal today is a one-month membership at Curves. It says the regular value is $145 (!!!!!!!!!) but the deal today is $30. I am wondering if that $145 includes some kind of initiation fee and that afterwards there is a more reasonable monthly fee - if it's $145 a month, fuggeddaboudit!

Donna
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Speaking of exercise, does anybody know what it costs to belong to Curves? Our local "half off" deal today is a one-month membership at Curves. It says the regular value is $145 (!!!!!!!!!) but the deal today is $30. I am wondering if that $145 includes some kind of initiation fee and that afterwards there is a more reasonable monthly fee - if it's $145 a month, fuggeddaboudit!

Donna
I'll ask my daughter about the ins and outs of membership/joining fees and also the monthly charges, etc. She owns a Curves in Colorado.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #475
Blabbermouth!!!

Kind use to work for curves. Where is Kind.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Afternoon y'all,

How is everyone doing today?

I am still resting in bed, though my body is felling better, my head is still foggy. I am feeling better and better as the day wears on though, I think the worst is over.

Oh, I had a light bulb moment about my 1 pound weight gain today. I DO see a scale jump after using NSAIDS, especially Mobic and it has to do with water retention. So, I'm hoping to see the scale co-operate tomorrow.

I also have decided not to do a true UP day today (UNLESS I REALLY need the extra food this evening) and I'll make it my 2nd MD. I really don't like the idea of having a MD and then an UP day, but 2 MDs could work better for me.

Tomorrow will be my DD and that gets me on schedule.

I hope y'all are having a great JUDDD day!!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #477
Senior LCF member

Hi Donna- Enjoy your trip! I'm jealous because I think we have similar weather this winter, and this morning it was -1F here in the Hudson Valley (NY) with today's 'high' expected to be 10F!!

Usually, we just have a lot of snow with a fairly mild winter, or much less snow but very, very cold. This year, we seem to have both! But I shouldn't complain because this morning I experienced one of the joys of retirement--sipping my coffee and knowing I don't have to go out in this weather!

Having a kitchen while you're away is great--and not just for saving the expense of always eating out. I've become so much more aware of food since working on my weight, and anything I make is better quality than in a restaurant. It's nice to go out to eat occasionally, but having to have all meals out isn't really 'fun.'

I've also found that when I've been away, even if I can't manage a true DD, cycling my calories so that one day is much lower than another works almost as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #478
Blabbermouth!!!

Realfood, I just want to say prayers work. I got a call from my local hospital. And after my interveiw. i think it went very well. Thank you for your prayers.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #479
Senior LCF member

RealFood- I hope you're feeling better soon! Your comment reminded me that when I was taking Mobic, my water retention became such a problem that my primary gave me a diuretic because the excess water was affecting my blood pressure! I think water retention is an issue with all NSAIDs.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Realfood, I just want to say prayers work. I got a call from my local hospital. And after my interveiw. i think it went very well. Thank you for your prayers.
Whoooooo hoooooooo Daisey!!!!!!!!!!