Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #421
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Evening / Morning Y'all!

Had the most amazing day / evening! Spent some excellent time with loved ones and attended a concert. It was great!

I ate before we left and for the buffet, I did very well. And, I did not stuff myself I enjoyed my day and it was not about food.

Thank you for all the feedback! Looking forward to a DD!

How is everyone doing?
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Good morning judders

WTg realFood!! I am glad u had a successful ud. This is the best part of Judd. We do not have to monitor every bite and go off and on plan. U can enjoy!!

It's a dd for me today. I did give myself a window yesterday to eat on my up day and it was a good one. I thinking about doing it again on my up day.

I am off to work. Have a great day! How is everyone doing??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #423
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Weekly Weigh In Same as last week, 157.5. That's typical with me, a lull during the month, but I was a little disappointed because I 'felt' thinner, and I haven't yet raised my DD calories as I intend for maintenance. Although this weight is within my goal range, I'd like to get lower in the range before I begin trying to adjust JUDDD for maintenance.

If I didn't lose anything (and we all know that losses can show on the scale later), two things could be the problem. I was careless with my UD calories--not indulgent but eating to satisfaction which meant more calories than I usually have on an UD. In addition, with all the snow and not feeling well a couple of days, I had less 'movement' this week than I usually do, spending more time being lazy around the house rather than cleaning and doing other chores. I only got to the gym one day because of all the ice and snow.

These are both things I need to watch for maintenance. If I raise my DD calories to 600, I need to really control my UDs at 1400 for a while to see how this works. Last time I tried to raise my DD calories, I let my UDs get too high, and I had to return to low DDs to avoid gaining.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning again JUDDDers!

I am the only one awake and I don't know why! I am exhausted from yesterday / last night. So, I;m sitting here in bed, playing on the computer, getting ready for my DD.

JKat: Sounds like you're working the plan! Have a good day at work!

Leo: Bless your heart!~ You are such an encourager to others when they hit a "lull" and I hope you are encouraged by your phenomenal success and perseverance. I know the scale will catch-up eventually, as you do, but I wanted to give you a hug today!

How is everyone doing today?

I weighed after my UP day yesterday. I like weighing daily. I was up a pound, which is cool. I'll weigh on Sunday after my DD today and I think I'll be back at the 30 pound mark tomorrow as I was yesterday. If not, it's still good because I'm in a new decade!! YAY! That's always fun.

Have a wonderful day y'all!

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-22-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Old 01-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #425
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Good morning, JUDDDers! A DD for me too today. And something that is amazing to me, and encouraging to me if I didn't already feel thrilled about this WOE. After a sumptious UD yesterday, and an old fashioned supper of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas... I'm down 4/10 of another pound this morning.

I don't have any true way of knowing, but I suspect JUDDD is regulating my body and its reaction to all food nutrients including carbs, at the same time it is normalizing my metabolic rate, at the same time as I am now tracking UD calories and keeping my intake within my calculated range.. 1,650 to 1,850.

I've maintained my weight within the range I thought was a good one for myself for about the last year. There was still 'plump' left, but I was pretty happy and thought I looked reasonable for a woman of my age, and my body didn't hold me back in anything active I wanted to do.

And then when I discovered JUDDD and came to this forum, I found that I could also easily maintain using the JUDDD principle, which allowed me even more dining freedom on the UDs if I moderated on the DDs.

So now that I'm wanting and intending to lose maybe another 10 pounds (and see what I look like at that time before deciding whether to go further) I'm eating at these lower calorie limits and losing weight. I weigh each morning but mark the calendar on Wednesdays, thinking that mid-week should have 'overcome' an indulgent weekend if one (rare) would occur. LOL

So this past Wednesday I was down almost 3 pounds from two weeks before, and now I'm down almost 2 pounds from just this past Wednesday! Just in these three days! That's just amazing to me. I strongly suspect it is a lot of water weight loss, rather than so much fat melting away, but I'm happy anyway.

Leo, I was happy to read your post about losing over the course of a month, but having a week that might well not register any loss at all. It does seem to go in spurts and stalls for me too. But nice to know that I don't have to spend a moment even thinking about it. I just do this, and it all works out as it is designed. Period.

RealFoodLiving, I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful time, and I had no doubt at all that you would be able to eat appropriately and return to JUDDD with no problem and no damage. You have proven how easy it is to use this plan in your real life 'out there' and not feel that your 'diet' limited you to very few choices from the party table. You can indulge or refrain from any of the foods offered, knowing with JUDDD you can 'work it' any way you want to.

JKat, is the Window a way to keep your insulin from spiking after a greater number of meals and snacks during a day? I know it is very popular and is supposed to help you keep a handle on the quantity of food you eat in a day as well. It seems you are appreciating it right now. I hope you'll post about DD experience on it too. And hope you are feeling well today.

Leo, I will be reading with interest as you make your transition up to the 600/1,400 DD-UD calories you look to for your maintenance. My early little very short-term period of maintenance with JUDDD when I first started here showed me how it could be done, but wasn't nearly a long enough period to acertain what my long-term calorie levels would probably need to be. Your experience will show us how to do it too.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #426
Senior LCF member

SoHappy- Just keep in mind that my own calorie level will always be much lower than yours. Even with age and hypothyroidism, I also seem to have a genetically slow metabolism, but what's interesting to me that if you told me 10 years ago that I'd have to keep to this calorie level, I'd have 'freaked out.' But I find that my body is totally satisfied, which is an indication that it's right for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
SoHappy- Just keep in mind that my own calorie level will always be much lower than yours. Even with age and hypothyroidism, I also seem to have a genetically slow metabolism, but what's interesting to me that if you told me 10 years ago that I'd have to keep to this calorie level, I'd have 'freaked out.' But I find that my body is totally satisfied, which is an indication that it's right for me.
Yes, thank you, Leo. I do understand that we all will vary as to the individual calorie levels we will live and maintain at. And I think even that will change for us individually as we age more and more. (But maybe not.) Just that as you make your discoveries and tweak your maintenance plan, your experiences might provide insight for us who will face this later.

Are you a taller woman? I guess I missed it if you posted your height, but wondered too if that really has much to do with it all in the long run. We tend to think that taller people can eat a higher calorie level than a shorter person, but that just doesn't necessarily work that way at all.

I wanted to add that living in New York would seem to be both a blessing and a curse when it comes to food. Access to such a variety of cuisines and food markets/ethnic groceries from around the world.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #428
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

S0Happy,

Thank you for sharing your journey to get here and how you're doing now! WOW, what an inspiration! It sounds as if you have really found what works for you and how to make it benefit your life and goals. That is SO encouraging to those of us just starting off.

Maintenance is a loooooooooooong way off for me, I have NEVER made it to goal, even though I've lost up to 82 pounds doing different things. My body *and my emotions quit about 50 pounds away from goal.

Reading your posts is very encouraging to me. I've never done any type of cycling and I need something I can LIVE with, I mean really LIVE with, to goal and beyond, as you have done and are doing. I think it's great that you're able to eat a "sumptuous" supper and still lose! Mazel Tov!!

I am still getting what my body will do or not do based on my UP days and yesterday, I stayed low carb and pretty reasonable in my calories (according to my guesstimates) I ate nothing off-plan, and I gained a pound. Sooooo, I suspect, I may not be able to handle as many calories / carbs. But, that still remains to be seen as I walk this journey to lose 53 more pounds. (I'm hoping to do that within this year).

You said that JUDDD may have changed the way you handle calories metabolically? Did I understand that correctly? If so, that is so cool!

Please keep sharing! Thank you so much!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post

You said that JUDDD may have changed the way you handle calories metabolically? Did I understand that correctly? If so, that is so cool!
Well, it seems like that at this time. But remember, I have only been doing this for about a month (?).. I can't quite remember when my very first day was.. but it hasn't been very long, that's for sure.

But, yes, it does seem that my body is bringing my metabolic rate up a speck, and that it is also helping to keep appetite/hunger to what I would consider a good old 'normal' function.

I feel that JUDDD has certainly helped to modify my appetite, over what it was before JUDDD, and I thought at that earlier time that I was doing a good job at portion control. Now I seem to feel completely satisfied with my portions, even (usually) on Down Days, which are so much lower in calories than I had been eating previously for the past year.

Leo can maybe give us some more insight here, especially based on her more lengthy time on this plan.

I'm just happy that appetite seems to be well curbed after doing this plan for a little while. Isn't that a nice side benefit!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #430
Senior LCF member

SoHappy- I am not tall--only 5'4". The reason that I'm planning to maintain in the 150 range is that I have a lot of loose skin that adds to my scale weight but isn't really fat. I am wearing a size 10 now (top and pants), and that's a size I haven't seen in my adult life, so I'm happy with it. My endo wanted me to maintain at 170, so I don't think my current weight is too high.

I don't think that JUDDD has affected my metabolism at all (doctors say that our metabolism is not that easy to change in any way--as you might think from the concern for metabolism among people on these boards).

I've begun strength training for bone health (since my arthritis makes most weight-bearing exercises impossible), but I've heard that more developed muscles will enable a person to burn (and therefore eat) more calories. That would be nice, but it will be a while before I know if it's true for me.

One thing JUDDD seems to have helped is my insulin resistance, but, again, I can't be totally sure. I do know that in the past, I could not go above 20g carbs without experiencing hunger, weight gain (water retention), etc. Now I seem to be able to tolerate the occasional dessert or bread with no effect at all. I'd like to move up to 30-50g daily, and I plan to do that slowly over the next month, but it will mainly be in the form of vegetables, since I don't usually eat fruit, dairy, or grains--and no legumes.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
For what it's worth, just being closer to a normal weight can also reduce insulin resistance. I found I was far more tolerant of carbs at 170ish than I ever was at 300+. My maintenance carb level for the past 5 years or so has been around 100-125g a day. I exercise a fair bit as well though, and that is also supposed to help with insulin resistance, so that helped too. I hope JUDDD also helps, and there is some reason to think that it might, the research into alternate day fasting and calorie restriction suggests it has some amazing health benefits.

When I started low-carbing in 2002 (though I fell off track and didn't get back to it and actually lose all my weight until 2003), I was amazed at how going low-carb gave me freedom from cravings and hunger. I truly felt like it was a magic bullet. I didn't have to count calories, I could eat when I was hungry and be satisfied and lose weight.

When I hit the low 200s, then found I hit that magic intersection of natural appetite and the calories my body maintained at and after that to lose more I also had to start watching my calories. I felt like I had to fight hard for that last 50 lbs that I lost. And then I maintained that for a few years. I'd make attempts to get to my ideal weight (which meant losing another 30 lbs or so) but always became discouraged and beaten by the calorie counting and degree of attention to detail it took.

I'm afraid to hope too much and be disappointed, but I think JUDDD might be my second magic bullet. Last year I gained about 10-15 lbs, mostly from some medication I had to take when I had a serious respitory infection last February and it wasn't coming off. I started JUDDD (well, my modified version of it) last November and I've lost that extra 15 lbs without having to count calories and be obsessive about watching every detail of what I eat. I just eat as little as possible (while hitting my protein targets, one of my modifications of JUDDD) 3 days a week and eat maintenance the other 4 days.

Now I'm working on trying to lose that 30 lbs that will take me to my ideal weight. I worry that JUDDD won't work as well on the new weight loss I want as it did on the "extra" pounds that it's taken off so far, but really, there is no reason to think that. JUDDD really is perfect for me. I get the calorie restriction I need without the deprivation, calorie counting and over attention to detail that I generally need to lose weight starting from this point.

Hmm... not sure where all that came from. I meant to just mention that just being thinner can help with insulin resistance! LOL!

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee716 View Post
For what it's worth, just being closer to a normal weight can also reduce insulin resistance. I found I was far more tolerant of carbs at 170ish than I ever was at 300+. My maintenance carb level for the past 5 years or so has been around 100-125g a day. I exercise a fair bit as well though, and that is also supposed to help with insulin resistance, so that helped too. I hope JUDDD also helps, and there is some reason to think that it might, the research into alternate day fasting and calorie restriction suggests it has some amazing health benefits.

When I started low-carbing in 2002 (though I fell off track and didn't get back to it and actually lose all my weight until 2003), I was amazed at how going low-carb gave me freedom from cravings and hunger. I truly felt like it was a magic bullet. I didn't have to count calories, I could eat when I was hungry and be satisfied and lose weight.

When I hit the low 200s, then found I hit that magic intersection of natural appetite and the calories my body maintained at and after that to lose more I also had to start watching my calories. I felt like I had to fight hard for that last 50 lbs that I lost. And then I maintained that for a few years. I'd make attempts to get to my ideal weight (which meant losing another 30 lbs or so) but always became discouraged and beaten by the calorie counting and degree of attention to detail it took.

I'm afraid to hope too much and be disappointed, but I think JUDDD might be my second magic bullet. Last year I gained about 10-15 lbs, mostly from some medication I had to take when I had a serious respitory infection last February and it wasn't coming off. I started JUDDD (well, my modified version of it) last November and I've lost that extra 15 lbs without having to count calories and be obsessive about watching every detail of what I eat. I just eat as little as possible (while hitting my protein targets, one of my modifications of JUDDD) 3 days a week and eat maintenance the other 4 days.

Now I'm working on trying to lose that 30 lbs that will take me to my ideal weight. I worry that JUDDD won't work as well on the new weight loss I want as it did on the "extra" pounds that it's taken off so far, but really, there is no reason to think that. JUDDD really is perfect for me. I get the calorie restriction I need without the deprivation, calorie counting and over attention to detail that I generally need to lose weight starting from this point.

Hmm... not sure where all that came from. I meant to just mention that just being thinner can help with insulin resistance! LOL!
No, I'm glad you posted all of that, Vee. I think it's almost invaluable sometimes to listen to others' thoughts and experiences and how this all feels the best and works the best for them. Thanks for posting it. I have no thought that JUDDD won't continue to work for you and get you to your goal.

And I do agree too that the slimmer we become and the more distance we put between our current selves and our former obese and morbidly obese selves, the more our health issues and bodily functions will return to some state of normal or near normal. I've heard of folks who slimmed down significantly and were able to completely get off their blood pressure meds or their diabetic meds, etc.

Good luck to us all. And I really don't think luck will even be involved. I think we will just stop putting so much food and especially poor calories into our mouths and our stomachs, and our bodies will take care of us from there.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #433
Senior LCF member

Thanks for that reminder, Valerie, that it could be just my weight loss that accounts for better toleration of carbs and not necessarily JUDDD. That's why I've been cautious with any claims for JUDDD because it's impossible to know for sure.

One thing I do know is that JUDDD has made my loss possible--at least that final 90 lbs because it's enabled me to restrict calories as much as I need to. I have to go to such a low calorie level to lose (and maintain!) that trying to do it on a daily basis becomes too frustrating.

By the way, you're not alone with 'protein goals.' Before JUDDD, I was interested in Protein Power (read the book), and I am a believer in being sure to get sufficient protein to make sure that I lose fat and not muscle. My DDs are always almost all protein.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #434

I am addressing my protein needs somewhat in the manner I am doing the calories, that is, lower on DDs and then higher protein on my UDs. Since animal proteins, especially, are so dense, I feel a need for the greater mass and volume of quite a bit of tummy-filling vegetable matter on down days. By the time I add up my week, I have taken in greater (or much greater) than my weekly recommended level.

In this past week, I have averaged 66.78 grams of protein daily. According to the recommended levels, that should be more than enough for me. So do you think doing it this way would be a problem? According to what I read, I should think not, but would be interested in the opinions of others.

I am very strong, quite active, and work and also work out regularly with no flagging of strength or stamina.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-22-2011 at 01:02 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #435
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, my DDs are almost all protein, too. I never liked the Atkins shakes but since doing this, I've been more invested in finding a protein drink that I do like. I finally found one that doesn't taste too bad, 170 calories, 35g of protein! A winner for an on the go solution on down days.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy, I don't know for sure, but I would think that it would be okay to average protein. It's a good question.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Sohappy. I have been trying differant tools on my up days. I Find it challenging to not go over board. The window gives me a start and stop time. I have only done it a couple times with success. Some of the other girls r combining Judd and the window which comes from fast 5. Finding what works for maintenance has been a real challenge for me. I have been within my range and happy about it but still have not found one way that I have stuck with. I have been flexible with myself. Meaning on some up days if I am good and can wait to eat I will do the window but if I wake up starving I am trying to go with it and eat till I am full. I am not counting calories at the moment but I like I said I am trying to see what works. My dd r usually the same. I tend not to eat till dinner and then have a large meal. I do have some white knuckle down days but for the most part they r the easier part of Judd for me! No thinking involved. Lol. For me upping my calories on down day does not work. So now I will stop babbling. Sorry but it's late and just getting to bed. I have another long Wk day tomarrow!

Last edited by JKat; 01-22-2011 at 08:42 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

So happy I just wanted to add that I am very active. I am always doing some kind of exercise routine tha involves strength training. I also started jogged the end of the summer and have done a couple of 5 k races. I am hoping to accomplish a 10 k by the end of this year.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #439
Senior LCF member

Jodi- I agree that maintenance is a challenge--on any plan. What I've learned (so far) is that it's just a little 'different' from weight-loss mode, but no less challenging. In the past, I feared seeing the scale not go down; now I fear seeing it go up.

The reason maintenance is a specific challenge for me is that I gain so very easily, and I know that we have to maintain at a similar level at which we were losing. And yet I psychologically want to have some 'treats' now that I'm not so focused on losing. But that attitude can be dangerous, as I've already learned.

Initially, I went way too high on my UDs and had to keep my DDs very low to avoid gaining. But I don't think I can stay with 250-350 cal DDs for the rest of my life, so I'm going to have to resign myself to truly controlling the UDs. I think it will be worth it to me to be able to raise the DDs a little. I plan to try to get a little lower in my range the rest of this month and then begin playing with JUDDD for maintenance in Feb.

I think we all have to work this our own way. What works for one person might not work for another.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #440

One of the things that is most amazing to me about JUDDD is how easily it will adapt to the varying lives of those who do it. We all seem to have our own preferred and most comfortable way of eating, especially on the DDs, but it seems to work for all of us.

I'm down another half pound this morning, but today is an UD, and I'm going to start it off with an old fashioned Sunday morning breakfast. I'll counterbalance that with a lighter lunch.

I haven't had any more problems with feeling very hungry on DDs, so hopefully have devised enough meal menus that keep me feeling quite satisfied on very few calories, that I won't run into the 'hunger' problem much anymore.

I hope you all will find maintenance a fairly simple status to keep going. Maybe I was just lucky. It wasn't a hard thing for me, but I do weigh each morning, so if my weight was trying to climb, I got on it immediately and got that brought back down to the lower end of my maintenance range. I'm just thinking that for the long term, JUDDD will make that pretty easy.

Now that Leo has been posting about her impending start of maintenance on JUDDD, I've been thinking about it even more. I believe I'm going to continue to use ****** quite a bit forever. It has always been a big help to me in planning my foods and menus and tracking everything.

And I think I'm going to really bounce calories a lot rather than try to maintain UDs and DDs being pretty close together in cals. So if I'm trying to maintain on 1,600 cals per day, I can bounce 4 days worth of calories - 6,400 - into four differing calorie levels. I'll allow a very high calorie day and offset it by a very low one, as well as the somewhat higher day against the somewhat lower one. I know that occasionally I like to really feast on special occasions or evenings out, where I could easily consume an entire day's calories and more at one sitting. It doesn't happen real often, but I'd like to acknowledge it and enjoy it and actually make provisions for it in my maintenance plan. This past year has worked pretty well, and I've maintained pretty easily, and I think doing maintenance on JUDDD will be even more wonderful.

I love reading all of your posts about how you work JUDDD into your own eating plans. Good luck to us all.

ETA: Leo, I know that you will do wonderfully well on your maintenance.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-23-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning all!

I love reading everyone's posts and perspective and experiences. Even though "maintenance" seems like "never-neverland" to me, never having reached my goal weight ever in decades of dieting, I'm just happy to be down a decade into the 180's. I am filing away y'all's information in my brain, for that time IF I ever do get to practice maintenance! Thank you all for sharing so generously!

For me, I did get through the tough DD yesterday with 401 cals and 18 carbs.
Today, and UP day, though I am still in the grips of a very painful Fibro flare and with it comes a empty queasiness that is only quelled by lots of carbs, this has been one of my BIG problems. I get to the point where I just give up and give in to make myself feel better.

But THIS time, I'm going to do it primal and JUDDD-style. Because of being gluten-free I want to see if the pain and symptoms can be managed with organic acv, protein and veggies and lots of warm decaf tea.

Good news! After one week on JUDDD, I am down 6 pounds! YAY!

Now, I do have to say that I was bouncing around with 3 pounds for 2 weeks before JUDDD and I did have a day where I went to 190 before JUDDD, but it didn't stay and I was 193 for a few days before my JUDDD week began. Now, I am firmly at 187 and celebrating the new decade!!

Thanks everyone for participating in such a supportive and informational group! Y'all being here has helped me immensely!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi again!

I just finished my 1 st week of JUDDD and I'm looking at the logistics of the long-term application of the guidelines.

Being that there are 7 days in a week, I would rather not bounce around my UP and DDs on the calendar. I would like to have the same UP and DDs each week. Example: I want my UP day to fall on Friday each week as our Messianic synagogue has an oneg (fellowship meal) and I really enjoy them.

Leo: I know you DD every M-W-F. How do you deal with the "extra" day, do you implement a MD or back-to-back UP days?

Anyone else have set UP and DD's and fiddle with the extra day?

Also, thank you LEO for the suggestion of keeping a weekly weight record on my calendar. It already has been most helpful. And THANK YOU LEO for the posts on the egg white omelets you make. I had 2 yesterday during the particularly tough DD and they got me through. Very soothing and satisfying to my upset tummy that was craving lots of carbs. Strange, but true.

I am learning so much from all of you! I especially appreciate the menus and recipes and tips. Please keep them coming!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #443

Quote:
Good morning all!

I love reading everyone's posts and perspective and experiences. Even though "maintenance" seems like "never-neverland" to me, never having reached my goal weight ever in decades of dieting, I'm just happy to be down a decade into the 180's. I am filing away y'all's information in my brain, for that time IF I ever do get to practice maintenance! Thank you all for sharing so generously!

For me, I did get through the tough DD yesterday with 401 cals and 18 carbs.
Today, and UP day, though I am still in the grips of a very painful Fibro flare and with it comes a empty queasiness that is only quelled by lots of carbs, this has been one of my BIG problems. I get to the point where I just give up and give in to make myself feel better.

But THIS time, I'm going to do it primal and JUDDD-style. Because of being gluten-free I want to see if the pain and symptoms can be managed with organic acv, protein and veggies and lots of warm decaf tea.

Good news! After one week on JUDDD, I am down 6 pounds! YAY!

Now, I do have to say that I was bouncing around with 3 pounds for 2 weeks before JUDDD and I did have a day where I went to 190 before JUDDD, but it didn't stay and I was 193 for a few days before my JUDDD week began. Now, I am firmly at 187 and celebrating the new decade!!

Thanks everyone for participating in such a supportive and informational group! Y'all being here has helped me immensely!
Woo Hoo!!! I'm thrilled for you. This is wonderful news, and I know you are so happy and encouraged. Way to go. I expect another week will bring more good news and then week after week, you will lose the weight that you want to get rid of.

The big trick to it all is.......... don't stop doing it.

Speaking for myself, the DD is very worth it in exchange for the UD, just as far as what I am eating and not having to feel like I'm having to 'diet' every single day, and to think that there are great health benefits too is just wonderful.

Hope your fibro aches leave you soon. When I get a flare I really just have to get warm, warm, warm to make the pain ease off some. Do you have, or have access to, a hot tub or whirlpool? Or maybe just several layers and a nice cozy blanket until you're warm to the bone.

Any why is there no medication that can take that pain away??? We have meds to take away headaches. I've tried all the OTC meds and none work worth a darn. I have a prescription one too, and even it isn't all that great.

Well, off to fix breakfast. Big congrats on the lost pounds and hope you are feeling a lot better tomorrow. (Do you think you are having a pressure system change moving in?)
Old 01-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #444
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

Thanks for the reply. Your posts are SO encouraging!!

I'm sorry to hear you have Fibro as well.

Yes, we have a low pressure system at our doorstep and we are expecting more than a foot of snow starting tonight and into next week. But honestly, I think my current flare was caused by the excessive activity and long hours that I was on my feet and bouncing around and picking up and shlepping tables and chairs on Friday night. It was way too much for me and because I've been feeling SO much better since being gluten-free (hardly any Fibro sx), I thought I was OK to do all that. I felt great at the time, but like my Fibro does, it knocks me out after the adrenalin wear off.

Drinking warm tea and resting in bed is my goal for today and sticking to my JUDDD, close to primal plans. I am getting rid of the whey (this is my last day) and going completely dairy-free. I'll be using 100% egg white protein in the future.

Sometimes, I take a Mobic anti-inflammatory for the pain and it does knock the edge off. I may resort to that later if the rest and warn tea doesn't help.

THanks again!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #445

Quote:

Sometimes, I take a Mobic anti-inflammatory for the pain and it does knock the edge off. I may resort to that later if the rest and warn tea doesn't help.
I have Meloxicam, but that doesn't seem to help much either if the flare is a hard one to get through. But the prescription is only at 15 mg strength, so maybe they make it stronger and I could get some 'better stuff'. I'll bring that up at my springtime appt.

Is Meloxicam what you take? If so: Does it help? Strength?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Is Meloxicam what you take? If so: Does it help? Strength?
Hi there!

Yes. The generic.

15 mg once a day ( I only take it once in 24 hours - during a bad flare)

Sometimes. Sometimes it makes a HUGE difference in my pain. Sometimes, not so much. I don't know if it will help until I take it with food and give it about an hour.

My husband takes it every day 7.5 mg twice a day for arthritis. It helps him more than other NSAIDS.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #447
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Congrats, RealFood! I'm so thrilled for you -- for all of us really.

Just a thought on being cold...I found quite by accident a way to feel warmer. Some months ago I bought a "baby" humidifier as a shower gift. I got it on a clearance so it was non-returnable, and as it turned out the mom-to-be got THREE of those at her shower, so I offered to keep mine and gave her something else. Well, there are no expectant moms in my family for the forseeable future, so when I began looking like the Bride of Frankenstein every day for not being able to comb my hair due to static electricity, I decided to use the baby humidifier in our family room, where we spend most of the evenings.

To my amazement, it makes the air a LOT WARMER! We have two walls that are almost all glass in that room so it is quite cool even with the heat cranked up. But within minutes after plugging in the humidifier, the room warms noticeably. I used to spend my evenings wrapped up in a leopard snuggie, now I don't even need it.

Now, those of you who have humidifiers may know this, but I didn't, and it came as quite a shock.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #448

Quote:
Hi there!

Yes. The generic.

15 mg once a day ( I only take it once in 24 hours - during a bad flare)

Sometimes. Sometimes it makes a HUGE difference in my pain. Sometimes, not so much. I don't know if it will help until I take it with food and give it about an hour.

My husband takes it every day 7.5 mg twice a day for arthritis. It helps him more than other NSAIDS.
I hope you are feeling better now.

Thankfully I don't have as many flair ups now as I did the year before. Have no idea why, but I'm glad. Don't have any idea if diet has much of anything to do with it. Doubt it as people on all WOE seem to also have fibro, but I'm just glad it is so much better this year. LOL

I'm making my first batch of kale chips. I'll report back after we taste them and tell you whether we thought they were fun and delicious.. or "one hell of a mistake and don't ever do that again"!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #449

Yup, the humidifier does make the room air feel warmer. I remember my mama putting jars of water around about in 'out-of-view' spots in the wintertime when I was a little girl to add more humidity to the air in our old house. I hadn't thought of that in years.

The kale chips came out perfectly. I'd have never thought kale leaves could become really crisp, but they did, exceptionally. And they taste a lot better than kale does!

A crispy chip that breaks, like a potato chip, but when it breaks into a million bits in your mouth, it's like you've made the crisps out of air. Not much too 'em. Bit I thought quite interesting and pretty good. DH said, "No, Thanks anyway".. so maybe another time for him.

I'm off to ****** to look up the nutritive values for kale, but I think it's almost as good as a vitamin tablet. LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's a video on how to make kale chips.

http://www.danispies.com/archives/howto_video/kale_chips_-_video.php

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-23-2011 at 10:41 AM..