Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #391
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Kind I heard Zumba is lots of fun.
I rode my exercise 10 miles today.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hi y'all!

Just checking in on my DD. So far, I am not hungry much at all. I am drinking quite a bit of liquids and I suspect about 5-6PM, I'll need to break out my shirataki noodles and have them with broth.

How is everyone doing today?

Tomorrow is my UP day and I am attending my 1st Covered Dish supper while on this WOE. Any suggestions on how to handle it? We'll be gone from our home from about 1PM to about 10PM and supper is at 6PM.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi Daisey.
Great job on your bike ride.
I think Zumba will be fun and I heard it is a real work out.
That is what I need.I have not lost any thing more this week. But last week I did loose5lbs.
So I thought if I kicked in Zumba and get back to curves and start working out 5 days aweek hr. a day will help.
I go back to Dr. 8th Feb and Im going to see what he thinks of Juddand also might start back to some juicing on my dd .I also might try those noodles all u are taking about. I wonder if Walmart sells them? Got my hair trimmed yesterday.
Just wanted to say hi and a welcome to all new comers.
I read this site every day. it keeps me going.
take care.
kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #394
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jodi- Hope you feel better soon--migraines are so debilitating. Do you think it's the weather? I have a low-grade headache today and am feeling "blah," but we're expecting a snowstorm tonight, and I wonder whether that's affecting me?

It's an UD, and I really have not much of an appetite--which is quite unusual for me, so a sure sign that I'm unwell
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
That u everyone for your well wishes!!

Leo I never thought of the weather before! I rarely get them but when I do I have to go to bed for a while. I take excedrin migraine and I am lucky that it works but it makes me really shaky. I am thinking it's all the caffine in it.

Dd for me and it's not a problem because with the h/a this morning I was to nauseous to eat!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #396
Blabbermouth!!!

Kind I have never tried those noodles and I don't think I will.
My egg beaters get me by just fine.Along with a few other staples.

I am a very slow loser. But I added fast 5 this past Monday. And
I dropped 2 of those stubborn pounds. Wow still eating about the same
just in a time frame.

I am loven it.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

I amgoing to try the shikate noodles mixed with zucchini noodles. It sounds like the texture would be right on.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Jodi. Is this the first time trying these noodles?I was wondering how they would be?
Oh Daisey.
I dont know if you remember that I told you, that years ago my 2 older kids were kidnap{ My Daughter and i are now together and have been . Today she sent me a necklace with her picture when she was little.she just thinks Im the greatest MOM. we are like she never left. just to let you know. She and family are coming in June. my heart is full.
kind
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Realfood.. will you pray for me to.
I need a new job. I don't like the one
that I have.It stresses me.
Oh Daisey! Bless your heart!
I will pray for you to get a new job.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Just got back from doing my first Zumba class. what a work out.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #401
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evening y'all,

I had a successful DD, but struggled quite a bit. I think I'll be cranking up the intake a bit. I've read that people with hypothyroid disease, even medicated, should not go below gms of carbs. I may scooch mine up a bit.

I hope everyone had a fantastic evening and a great day tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #402
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks realfood.

Kind I do remember about ur kids.
I am so happy for you. I know sence
I got my grandaughter. I am better as well.

Nothing will ever take the place of a child that
has passed(my child). But she made me whole again.
(my grandaughter) what a blessing.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Daisey and kind!! Bless u both. lots of hugs to the two if u!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

ReAlfood. Congrats on a successful down day. It does take some tweaking but good for u for getting through.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 AM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Digging out again. Kids r home again!! Will it ever end!!! I am moving to the warm weather as soon as my kids move out. Yuck. I am tired of being cold

Up day for me but I think I will give myself a window. I did it last week and it helped the day from getting out of hand!

What's up with everyone else today??
Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #406
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Good Morning. An UD for me too. Yesterday a very successful DD, the lowest I've done yet at 347 calories. And yestereday's loss stayed and there is a bit more loss showing up on the scale this morning. Now today I'll cal up, carb up, and protein up.

JKat, I hear you on winter and the cold. We're having a little period of bitter cold down from Canada right now. It never lasts too long, thankfully. Regular winter I can take just fine and even enjoy just fine for the most part. I could never live anywhere that I didn't get the four distinct seasons, and I despise HEAT (and intense humidity) , so could never live in the south. Basic summertime is great, but anything above 85 is too much. LOL -- Hope you are feeling better today.

Kind and Daisey, I'm so glad to hear about the joy you both have now with the return of the one's daughter, and the other daughter living on in the granddaughter. Both of my daughters live in another state, and there is just a single grandchild, a little girl, but I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. I save my money and am flying out in March sometime for a nice long visit. I'm excited!

RealFoodLiving, glad your DD went well. And as to the hypothyroid, I have been successfully medicated for many, many years for that. But I absolutely can't go too low on my carbs or I run into all sorts of problems and symptoms of 'too low' thyroid. From what I understand, if you are too low on carbs, you aren't able to convert your T4 into the T3 that is needed, and you start experiencing symptoms, one of which is a slowing of metabolism and difficulty in losing weight, and that's the last thing I want right now. LOL Being old is disadvantage enough in that department. Heh.

Kind, my daughter owns a Curves Fitness Center in Colorado and they have started zumba too. It is just sweeping the nation right now, isn't it. It looks so fun, and what a great way to get in the important cardio exercise! Maybe I'll try it with one of her classes when I get out there.

Daisey, I hope your Fast 5 in addition to JUDDD helps you lose even faster. I tried that for a short bit, but that is one constraint I can't seem to work comfortably into my life. I don't require a lot of food, but we are mostly retired now and enjoy being able to come and go on the spur of the moment, so occasionally just want to stop someplace for a coffee and slice of pie or some such. I'd miss that spontaneity and togetherness we get from these little impromptu 'dates'. LOL

Leo, hope the headache is gone today. I wonder too if it might now have been caused by a shift in the weather/pressure system. I know you folks on the east have been dealing with a whole series of winter snows and such. I get a flair of fibro pain when pressure systems come in suddenly and there is much of a sudden difference in pressure between my own body pressure and the external air pressure. And rarely a headache also. Do you have fibro also?

Well, I think I'm finally caught up here. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I'm going to be doing a whole lot of cleaning/straightening up around the house and then hoping for a peaceful weekend.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #407
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning everyone!!

We got some ice last night and have high winds today, but I have to go out in it for an event. I'm going to be at a buffet dinner, so I'm a little concerned about how to plan for this. But, I'll make it through with G-d's guidance.

SoHappy: You keep saying you're "old". Are you older than me (I'm 54)? I've been on T4 and T3 for 6 years and I think we've gotten me pretty steady. But, with very low carbs, I notice some big changes in my mood and pain. I think I'm going to have a min of 30 carbs.

Dear Kind and Daisey, I cannot imagine the pain you two experienced. I pray you children and grandchildren bring you great joy.

How is everyone doing today?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
SoHappy: You keep saying you're "old". Are you older than me (I'm 54)? I've been on T4 and T3 for 6 years and I think we've gotten me pretty steady. But, with very low carbs, I notice some big changes in my mood and pain. I think I'm going to have a min of 30 carbs.
RealFoodLiving, yes, I'm old. I was in my very early teens when you were born! I'll be 68 the first week in May. That's not ancient, elderly, decrepit old, but it's not an age anyone describes as 'middle' age either. I've pretty much faced it. It's old. That's why I'm wanting to balance weight loss against the added wrinkles from 'weight loss deflation'... that air-out-of-the-balloon look when the elasticity isn't there anymore, and the result is scary.

Yes, for myself, I certainly wouldn't go below 30 carbs. That would certainly be a very low minimum for me. I try not to go too far below 50 very often, and most UDs are quite a bit higher than that. But that's me. You may be quite different. I only know that for weight loss and successful maintenance, I have to keep my carbs up a bit or my metabolism slows down too much to make me very happy. YMMV

Have a great day.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 167/140
Good morning everyone! Starting another up day, and down another 2 pounds. Down a total of 5.3 pounds this week so far. Happy! Have a great day everyone!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW Vicki, great job!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #411
Senior LCF member

SoHappy- My primary doctor diagnosed me with fibro many years ago, but that was the beginning of the 5-6 years during which he and his successor told me that my thyroid was 'fine,' when I was obviously and increasingly hypothyroid. I've read that fibro is commonly misdiagnosed instead of hypo, and I think that was the case with me.

My headache may not have been the weather but some 'bug' that I'm fighting off because although I feel very much better today, I've been very, very tired. Whenever I try to read, I doze off! That's what usually happens when my body is trying to resist some impending illness--so I'm just going with the flow today--especially since it's a DD, and I don't feel like too much exertion anyway. The snow arrived, but not as bad as predicted; although that's probably a small comfort to mothers, since the schools are closed

I'm not too sure about that info on carbs/calories and thyroid. Pam always repeats that from a "Broda Barnes" study, but I've never seen any other reference to that study, and I have no idea how reliable it is in terms of methodology, number of subjects, etc. There's all kinds of medical info today that's unreliable because of flawed research.

Keep in mind that she also claims a hypothyroid should be eating a minimum of 1500 cal in addition to at least 30g carbs. For at least the past 2 years, I've averaged <1000 cal and barely 20g of carbs (on an UD!), and I've had no problems with my Rx for thyroid. My endo checks me every 4 months, and I've been stable. At one point, my T3 tanked, and I had to add Cytomel, but when I asked my endo whether my eating could have caused that, he said that he had actually been expecting that to happen at some point because problems in converting T4 to T3 are a natural part of the progression of Hashi's. He actually applauds my WOE.

The reason I suspect the info about carbs/calories is that in my experience, people are unique. For example, you are close to my age and can eat far more calories and carbs than I can and lose. We're just different people, so why should our thyroids require the same minimum? There's a poster (don't remember her name) who is hypothyroid and has been eating almost zero carb for a long time and claims she does the best on that--she's at goal and continues to eat VLC because her body seems to thrive on it.

I know that I don't feel well on zero carbs, but I feel great at 20-30g, and I have much less than that on DDs without any problems. If this info about min. carbs/calories were true, then my endo would have to keep adjusting my meds as my thyroid slowed, but that hasn't happened. And I'm not on very high dosages--Levoxyl 75 mcg; Cytomel 15 mcg.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #412
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks everyone for the happy thoughts. We are people God wants us to survive and live on. So we do.

Today is dd for me I am drinking my much needed coffee today. It is freezing.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo,

That is awesome info, thank you so much!! I know you were writing to SoHappy, but I am benefiting from your experiences.

It IS true, we each are different and what works for one, may not work for another.

I don't have Hashimoto's (but maybe you both do). I was tested for it and it came back negative. I am hypothroid though and I take Synthroid .125 and generic Cytomel 5 mcg twice a day.

I am just gathering all this info from everyone and seeing what works for me.

Thank you for sharing, it blesses others!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #414

Vicki, you are doing so wonderfully. I know you must be super excited about being down 5.3 pounds already this week, and that is fun and motivating for all of us to read about too.

Leo, I totally agree with you on the carb/thyroid connection thing. I'm not Hashi's (thankfully), but it is certainly a YMMV sort of thing. I do so very well on moderate carb, but not very well or comfortably on quite low carb. The induction level of 20 or fewer carbs, leaves me cold as an ice cube, tired and dragging, muzzy in my brain, and a lot more achey than otherwise. When I up the carbs to the 'ongoing weight loss' or maintenance range, to some mid-range and lower my calories a bit to compensate, quickly I am feeling strong and energetic and happy/positive attitude. It really makes a big difference to me. (And I can't think of who you are talking of, who eats VLC but is also hypo and doing wonderfully, but I think there are quite a few of them doing very well.)

People really need to weigh all the info from others experiences, and then see what works for them personally.

Had a good workout this morning. Tanning session (6 whole minutes), treadmill, then swimming followed by whirlpool tub and then sauna. I feel great. And plenty of housework to do to get this place looking a bit nicer for the weekend.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-21-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #415
Senior LCF member

RealFood-
Don't be too sure you don't have Hashi's (not that it's so terrible--7 of 10 women with hypothyroid have Hashi's). Let me explain.

I was diagnosed with Hashi's only because I had a biopsy of one of my thyroid nodules, and the pathologist could examine the fluid he extracted and make a diagnosis directly from the thyroid (rather than via the blood as the endo does). When the results came back, my endo said, "I'm glad we got the definitive diagnosis because the antibodies in your blood are too low for me to diagnose Hashi's."

My understanding is that there are many false negatives with blood tests for Hashi's because the antibodies rise only when attacking the thyroid, and that happens intermittently. In order to get the high antibody count that would indicate Hashi's the blood has to be drawn at the time of such an attack.

Most doctors don't worry about whether or not it's Hashi's because the treatment is exactly the same--supplemental hormones to regulate the thyroid. Hashimoto's is a disease; hypothyroid is a condition. The most common cause of hypothyroid is Hashimoto's, but it's not the only cause.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Leo,

Yes, I agree. My endo has not even wanted to test me for Hashi's because he said there would be nothing gained by it. I am definitely hypothyroid (from whatever cause) and I am doing well on my meds. He said he would not do anything different if it was or was not Hashi's.

But, last year, just because I wanted to know, I asked for the test. And when it came back negative I thought it really didn't make a difference, as the end result was the same I guess! I don't have any nodules at this point, so that's good.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Afternoon y'all!

Well, I'm headed out for an all-day, all-evening event and I'm wondering what to eat I'm taking some things with me, but our supper will be a buffet.

I hit 30 pounds down today (unofficially of course) and I don't want to mess it up!!

So, hopefully, I'll have a post of victory tomorrow, not a tale of woe

See y'all tomorrow!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #418
Blabbermouth!!!

If its ur ud. why not enjoy it. Just don't stuff urself.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #419
Senior LCF member

Agree with dasiey--if it's an UD, just relax and enjoy the food without overdoing it. My test of any food is, "Is this worth the calories to me?"--UD or DD, I don't want to eat stuff I don't really like much. Unfortunately, there's not much that I don't like
Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

I agree if it's an up enjoy a taste what u want just do not stuff yourself and get ready for dd tomarrow!!