Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Good morning judders!!

I am digging out again and trying to get to Wk on time. Kids off again!! We r getting alot of freezing rain.

Reallife...yup this has been my challenge also. Up days r great because u feel free but they can easily get out of control. How do u know that 1500 is too much for u?? Just a thought if u ate to hunger and did not over indulge this may be your range. 1200 is low but I know for Leo that she has to be that low. Maybe stck to this range and see what happens. If nothing then go lower. Again just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #332
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Good morning, JUDDDers. Hope you all have a good day today. We have a bit of shoveling to do but not too much this year compared to some past. The big snows seem to go north or south of us or just skip over us and pass east before beginning to dump the snow. Our schools are delayed for 2 hours this morning and that's it.

I was running to the grocery store yesterday, and the roads were'nt too bad. And I still have to go back and buy some whey protein. I decided I'd experiment around and devise a protein shake that I might like. I'm thinking it probably needs to be chocolate! LOL

RealFoodLiving, yes, the true key to weight loss and improved health here seems to be in the Up Days. We seem to put an awful lot of focus on the DDs because they're sometimes kinda' hard to stick to, but I'm convinced that the UDs are absolutely key.

You may need to stick to 500 calories and lower to trigger "the elusive skinny gene", but even a DD that is a failure.. like you've eaten 750 calories for the day, will still be a great day toward weight loss. Even a failed DD like that will really help to lower your calorie average with the following day.

But if you go too far above what your calories for that UD should be, you will just cancel out the lowering effect of the previous DD. But are you certain that the 1,500 calorie mark is that far too high for you?

Anyway, just wanted to point out that as far as weight loss alone is concerned, even if you fail on DDs but hold your important UDs in check, you'll lose weight, and that is soooooo conducive to improved health overall.

Glad you are liking JUDDD so well. I really do too.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Morning everyone!

I hope everyone has a great day today!!

I'm thankful that I have a DD today, so I can spend some time planning for tomorrow.

Thank you everyone that responded, I appreciate it.

Leo: Good tips, thank you. I am feeling my way around this plan and sure appreciate the wisdom of all y'all that have "been there done that!"

Jkat and SoHappy: Thank you SO much!
I'm not sure 1500 is bad for me, in fact it is less than the 1800 something the JUDD site suggested, but I was trying to stay at 1200. Maybe that's not possible for me, and maybe the 1500 cals are OK, I'm not sure yet.

The one thing is the 60 carbs! Oh wow, that was shocking to me. And all I had was beans and half of the protein shake. I really want to stay around 30 carbs.

BUT, I must admit, I felt good, not shaky, my glucose was even and stayed well and my fasting this morning was excellent at 95-100 (I use 2 meters and compare).

AND, for some strange reason, I weighed after my DD and UP and after the DD, I was 193 and this morning after my UP day, I was 191.8. Sooooooo, we'll see how that pans out after a week.

I'll perhaps adjust my cals according to my blood glucose readings and how I feel.

Thanks again everyone, I am really thrilled you all are enjoying this WOE and I'm in the "honeymoon" phase where I'm in love, but learning what new life is!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
I'm in the "honeymoon" phase where I'm in love, but learning what new life is!

Great way to put it. I'm still in love with it myself.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #335
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
So am I. I always say be good to juddd and juddd will be good to you.

Ud today I have planned it out and I will do good and I will get my exercise in.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YAY Daisey!!! Tell us how it goes!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #337
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
We've had ice here, too, overnight. Schools are closed, and from my window, the roads look dreadful. When we've had snowstorms, they typically plow all night, and the roads are 'decent' in the morning. But we haven't had a plow yet, and I would not drive on these roads. I hope by the afternoon, it will be better because I'd like to get to my health club for my strength work.

I disagree that it's either UDs or DDs that are important. From my experience, it's been the combination of both--keeping to my DD limit and carefully controlling my UDs.

RealFood--I think 1200 is too low for UDs because keep in mind that it's the average of your DD/UD that is your actual daily consumption. For most of my loss, I did 400 cal DDs and 1400 cal UDs, with only occasionally going down to 1200. That was averaging 900 cal, which is low by most standards.

By the way, I had an experience on yesterday's DD that I want to share with all of you because I've had this happen before. Mid-morning, I felt too hungry to complete a DD. The "temptation" entered my mind--after all, I could get by easily with 2 DDs this week and just make this a MD without too much damage--if any. There was no sense in trying to struggle through this DD with all this hunger; better to satisfy it with a few hundred calories than go off on a binge and eat too much.

As I mentioned, this has occurred in the past from time to time, and what I did is what I have always done--ignored the temptation. And it's not easy because I'm facing the rest of the day with very, very limited calories and a feeling that I need food!

However, once I resolved to complete the DD, I was fine. I mention this because it can be too easy to give in to that idea that one DD isn't all that important in the long run (and perhaps it isn't), but I think of it as the 'slippery slope' that will lead to eating more and more off plan and eventually stalling or gaining.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #338
Blabbermouth!!!

well yesterday I started adding fast 5. and it worked out fine.
I opened my window at 2 and close it at 7. I am trying that
again today. I will drink my coffee and tea until then.

My body is holding on to these pounds. Like my dog holds on
to his bone. So I am trying something new along with Juddd
Michelle did this and was success. So I tell my self I will do
this for 2 weeks and see how it goes. I will get use to it after
a while.

Where are you Michelle. I miss you.

23 pounds gone forever
162/139/135
Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo, I hope you are able to get out today!
WOW thank you SO much for explaining that to me. I didn't take into consideration the DDs subtracted from the UPs to give an average. I don't feel badly then and perhaps the 1500 on UPs is a good thing. It was where I felt good, but I was discouraged because I was hungry on less. So thank you for helping me sort this out. I will experiment more, but at least I have a good frame of reference.

I am comfortable at 500 cals and under 20 carbs for my DDs and for my Ups, I'll work harder on keeping my carbs lower, to 30 and seeing if I can keep to 1500 cals.

And thank you for that helpful information about the MD. I'm sure that's going to come up for me and now I can be ready for it and know how to address it.

Daisey, that sounds good! I hope it works for you! I'm not familiar with the 5s, but I hope it suits you and your needs.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #340
Blabbermouth!!!

It should be fine. As long as I do my ud,dd rotation I should be fine.
My husband likes me to eat with him at dinner time. If not for that
I would be a morning eater.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Hi everyone! I maintained after yesterday's UD. Today is a DD. So far, so good. I'm opening my window this afternoon, so no food yet, but I've had my coffee.

I'm now working on my hydration for the day. I do much better these days with herbal tea, with some water.

I don't have much else to say. Max went off to school today with no trouble, which was SO nice! I hope he has a good day.

Carrollee
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
First weigh-in since starting--and I'm down six pounds

I am in total shock. I had hoped to take off three but had been warning myself not to expect even that (I'm historically an extremely slow loser).

But...six pounds! I couldn't believe it when I had to keep pushing that little weight down and down and down, and I wasn't even hardly leaning to the left lol.

I consider the first five of that to be "temporary" weight I had gained over the holidays, but that final pound is the shocker for me. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've always had a "setpoint" weight at 205 where I sometimes struggled for weeks or even months without being able to get past, and yet here, I just whooshed right on by.

I'm so thrilled I can't stand myself!

Thanks everyone for all your insight and encouragement. I'm sticking with this one for sure.

Donna
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #343
Blabbermouth!!!

WTG Donna.....

Lol you can't stand ur self
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Great job Donna.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #345
Senior LCF member

That's great, Donna!

There's something about the calorie cycling that really helps with stalls or plateaus. Even people who don't do JUDDD have had success with cycling calories when they hit a 'set point,' and find that it helps the scale to move.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #346

Woo Hoo, Donna! Way to go, and wonderful to see that whoosh bringing you BELOW 205. I see that 204 proudly posted!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Afternoon JUDDers!!

Carrollee Do you mean by "window" that you are doing something in addition to the JUDD? Glad Max got to school

Donna: SIX pounds!! WOWSERS!! Great job!

Daisey, Leo, SoHappy,
how's it going today?

I'm having a FANTASTIC DD Seriously! I'm not hungry at all and my blood glucose readings are good, but a little elevated. That means I've gone too long without food, so I'm drinking my homemade chicken stock with spinach.

I went shopping today and ran some errands and I was able to get some items that I had been wanting for my JUDD. I bought some wild salmon fillets and some Japanese eggplant, shirataki noodles and fresh ginger.

I'm not sure how to use the noodles and I'll save them for an UP day, but I was thrilled to find them seeing so many people rave about them.

I hope y'all are having a great day!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #348

Quote:
I bought some wild salmon fillets and some Japanese eggplant, shirataki noodles and fresh ginger.

I'm not sure how to use the noodles and I'll save them for an UP day, but I was thrilled to find them seeing so many people rave about them.
You might want to include these noodles in your DD menus as they have zero or next to zero calories or carbs. I just pulled a 1-pound bag out of my refrigerator and it says 5 servings, 0 calories, less than 1 g. carb. and 8% of your daily iron.

They have a very strange odor when you open the bag. I rinse well!!! And they have almost no flavor that I can detect at all. LOL

They are also a lot like chewing on rubber bands. You just chew and chew and chew and then swallow.

I snip mine into very, very little pieces usually.. or grind them, making them into shirataki 'rice'. Basically I use them as something to fill the belly without adding any calories.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of them after you have used them.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Quote:
Afternoon JUDDers!!

Carrollee Do you mean by "window" that you are doing something in addition to the JUDD? Glad Max got to school
Yes, I'm doing Fast 5 in addition to JUDDD, so I have a 5 hour window in which I eat each day. I sometimes have to expand the window, but generally when I start in the afternoon between 1 and 3 I'm fine.

Glad you're having a good DD!

Donna, great job on the 6 pounds!!!!
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #350
Senior LCF member

The ice is awful here. Late this afternoon, I went out to buy some eggs and get the mail, and the roads are very, very icy. And we're still having an icy rain falling, so I think the roads might be even worse in the morning.

It's a good thing today is an UD because I've been so hungry all day--almost as though I'd been out in the weather and needed nourishment, but I've only been looking at it from my window! (I enter my garage from the house, so I didn't have to go outside at all even when I went for the eggs--except for the 2 feet or so from my car to the market.)

I've eaten beyond my usual UD level, but all low carb, and I'm not particularly worried because it hasn't been a binge or anything--just satisfying my hunger.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #351

Gallery: Ilpirata
LEO!!

Where are your before and after pics?
I DEMAND!!!
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm so thrilled.

Realfood--the shiritake noodles are lifesavers for me. Well, I actually use the ones from Miracle Noodles vs. the shiritake ones that my local grocery store sells. The ones in my grocery store are made of or with tofu, are sort of whitish in color and have about 20 calories per bag. The miracle noodles don't have tofu. They're made of konnyaku flour (glucomannan) and are like cellophane noodles in that they are transparent and claim 0 calories. I have such a hard time believing that because they do such a good job of filling me up--happy about that. They have been my ace in the hole for my first few down days. I've been having them for snacks (25 cals with a 1/4 cup of Trader Joe's marinara), and loading my 0 pt soups with them and they keep me so nice and full. They're kind of expensive but I'm hoping I won't have to rely on them forever, just until I get adjusted to the DDs a little better. I don't find them overly chewy but I just use the angel hair and "rice" versions. Once I bought some called "mini pearls" and they were about the size of peas, and were disgustingly chewy--I'll never buy those again! I usually rinse mine very well, and then if I'm adding a sauce to them I stir fry them in the skillet to dry them out a little--sauce seems to stick better to them with that step. If I'm using them in soup I just rinse well and throw right in.

I had a good LC up day but might have blown it a bit with a planned low-carb dessert (my brother's birthday). It tasted better than I thought it would and I had a very large helping instead of the moderate one I intended to eat. I don't think carb-wise it was a disaster, but after these down days I am waaaaay more conscious of calories.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #353
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Donna,

Can you figure out the calories? It may not be as bad as you thought for the dessert. You've been doing so well!!

On the shirataki noodles, these have no soy in them, the package says they are made from water, yam flour and hydrated lime. They come in a 7 oz wet package and state there are 2.5 servings. They have "Iki" brand name and I got them in the Asian market for $1.69 per package.

Are these the same as what you have?

When I had about half of them cooked in the soup, they REALLY filled me up! YAY!! I think I'll be using them a bit if I can get more.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning JUDDers!

This WOE has me so STOKED!

Questions: How often do y'all weigh?
If you weigh after a DD, do you think it "sticks" or is it water?
Is it better to weigh after an UD or DD, or does it matter?

I am a daily weigher. It just helps me know where I am.
I've been battling the last 3 pounds in the 190s for awhile, up, down, you know.
So, my scale gave me some good news today, but it was after a DD, so I don't want to get TOO excited, ya know?

I know Dr. Johnson says to weigh once a week, but I've never done that comfortably. But, I guess I should wait until the week is up to "claim" it, right?

What do y'all do?

Today is an UD and I'm not as excited about these as my DDs, isn't that weird? Most people would say the opposite, right?

So, how's it going for y'all today?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #355
Senior LCF member

RealFood-

Dr. J recommends weighing once a week after a DD--only. You actually get a more accurate weight after a DD because you have less food in your digestive system than after an UD.

I've also found (when I've weighed more frequently) that there are much bigger fluctuations on this plan than when I was just doing low carb at the same calorie level each day. Even if I weigh after a DD, if it's mid-week, I can be up a few lbs (which, to me, is disheartening).

So not only do I only weigh once a week, I keep a chart of those weights for comparison purposes. For example, throughout my loss on JUDDD, I consistently lose just 4 lbs a month, but there was always one week in the month when I showed no loss on the scale. Once I saw that pattern, it didn't bother me so much when it happened.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #356

RealFoodLiving, I weigh each morning, bare naked, and after I've gone to the bathroom, and before I've had any coffee or even taken my meds and supplements. LOL I try to be as 'empty' as I can be so that I am weighing only what my body weight is, rather than the 2 full mugs of coffee that I've just had and are now sitting in my tummy, or my (ahem) full bladder or bowel, if you get my drift.

And, yes, there is a daily fluctuation of the measurement I get.. up a bit.. down a bit.. up a bit.. down a bit. But all I look at is whether all the weights are staying in my maintenance range of about 5 pounds either way, OR if the scale is going more down than up overall during a period I'm wanting to lose a few more pounds.

My weight jigs and jogs, down a bit less after a DD and up a bit more after an UD, but overall it's been creeping at a snails pace downward. That suits me and is about normal for how I lose weight.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-19-2011 at 07:01 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much Leo! That really helps!

I too will make a chart!

I really appreciate all the helpful tips to make this JUDDD a real way of life. I'm in it for the long haul.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-19-2011 at 07:54 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #358
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm so thrilled.

Realfood--the shiritake noodles are lifesavers for me. Well, I actually use the ones from Miracle Noodles vs. the shiritake ones that my local grocery store sells. The ones in my grocery store are made of or with tofu, are sort of whitish in color and have about 20 calories per bag. The miracle noodles don't have tofu. They're made of konnyaku flour (glucomannan) and are like cellophane noodles in that they are transparent and claim 0 calories. I have such a hard time believing that because they do such a good job of filling me up--happy about that. They have been my ace in the hole for my first few down days. I've been having them for snacks (25 cals with a 1/4 cup of Trader Joe's marinara), and loading my 0 pt soups with them and they keep me so nice and full. They're kind of expensive but I'm hoping I won't have to rely on them forever, just until I get adjusted to the DDs a little better. I don't find them overly chewy but I just use the angel hair and "rice" versions. Once I bought some called "mini pearls" and they were about the size of peas, and were disgustingly chewy--I'll never buy those again! I usually rinse mine very well, and then if I'm adding a sauce to them I stir fry them in the skillet to dry them out a little--sauce seems to stick better to them with that step. If I'm using them in soup I just rinse well and throw right in.

I had a good LC up day but might have blown it a bit with a planned low-carb dessert (my brother's birthday). It tasted better than I thought it would and I had a very large helping instead of the moderate one I intended to eat. I don't think carb-wise it was a disaster, but after these down days I am waaaaay more conscious of calories.
Good Morning All! Today is an UD. I've completed about 6 weeks of JUDDD and have lost 15lbs total. Last week I had no weight loss, this week I'm up 1/2lb. This kinda flipped me out for a minute. I feel thinner, my clothes fit better...I'm thinking...water. Drink more, pee more.:blush:

I have tried shiritaki noodles in the past and didn't love them, but reading these last posts I think I may give them another try, for "filling" purposes. My last two down days have been really hard, in part because of the "non loss" of pounds...and in part because I've been very hungry. I think these may help a lot, so we'll see. This is a very simple WOE, but not easy.

I only weigh once a week after a down day.

Congrats to all the losers this week, and welcome to the newbies! Sounds like the new year is off to a good start!

~Blonde

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy: Thank you! I really do like to weigh daily. It just feels comfortable to me. I also weigh in the manner you do. So far, this week, I've lost on the scale after DD and UD, so I'm really stoked. You've been so helpful.

Blonde:
15 pounds is AWESOME! Great job! You know your body may be adjusting and you may be losing inches rather than pounds. Nice to "meet" you and I hope we see more (umm, less) of you! You know what I mean!

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-19-2011 at 08:29 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)

Blonde:
15 pounds is AWESOME! Great job! You know your body may be adjusting and you may be losing inches rather than pounds. Nice to "meet" you and I hope we see more (umm, less) of you! You know what I mean! [/QUOTE]

Ditto GF!
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote