Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Thank you all. I really like to hear what others
find thats work for them. I do drink plenty of
other stuff not always decaf.
I have never, ever found decaf to bother me in any way, or slow weight loss at all.

I've heard that it affects some folks. I guess it's one of those *try it and see* things. If it causes problems.... stop. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #272
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Weekly Weigh In

Down another pound to 157.5 this morning. Again, JUDDD has come through. As most of you know, I had a 'carby' weekend in New Orleans last week. When you eat low carb, that increase in carbs will cause a big gain in water. Pre-JUDDD, it would take me weeks to lose that water weight, and it was very discouraging. But everytime I've had carbs on vacation, I've found that it only takes a week for me to be back on track with JUDDD.

Since I'd just gotten into the 150s before I left, I really feared being back in the 160s, so this "JUDDD miracle" is especially welcome. Even knowing that it is mainly water weight would be so discouraging.

That's why I think JUDDD is ideal for maintenance because if there's any gain, I'll just return to my 350 cal DDs for a while. I'm hoping to start raising my DDs next month for maintenance to about 600 cal.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I am so happy for u Leo !!!

Last edited by JKat; 01-15-2011 at 04:09 AM..
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #274

Woo Hoo, Leo! This is why I like to come here to read and post each day. You getting back into the l50s again so promptly after your New Orleans weekend is an encouraging example for me. So happy for you.

I have a DD today and am going to be very busy, so that is always helpful. Too busy to think about munching. And I have to work in a trip to Sam's Club for meats.

Have a great day, Everyone!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #275
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
WTG Leo
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Great job, Leo!

I'm down another 1.5 after yesterday's DD. That was a tough DD! I had a really rough week with not sticking to plan very well, which is why it took me until Thursday to start showing any losses.

Today is of course, then, a UD. I think asparagus quiche is on the menu today, and maybe yogurt and raspberries, if the raspberries are still good.

Last night was my first night with no pain meds, and I felt fine! I did wake up in the middle of the night, but did go back to sleep.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Carrollee

magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #277

Great about not taking the pain med and still feeling fine, Carollee! You're on the mend for sure! Seems like you've lost quite a lot of the weight of fluid retention too.

Asparagus quiche sounds wonderful. And so does yogurt and raspberries. LOL
Enjoy your Up Day.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #278
Senior LCF member

Carrollee- You're doing really great. I have noticed that when I have a 'rough' DD, I seem to be sure of a loss. Some time ago, someone on this board wrote, "Hunger is your body's warning that if you don't feed it now, it's going to tap into your fat stores." Whether or not that's true, that seems to be the case when I have a 'hungry' DD And remembering this helps me endure the hungry feelings.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Carolee I am glad u r feeling better

Yup Leo I hope u r right. I am having an unusual tough dd today. I think it was the Mexican dinner we ate last night!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Great job on your weight loss.Today is dd for me also.I have a weigh in Sunday for being 1 week back on Juddd. But last3 days have stayed the same.At least not going up and Im on track.
kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentagirl13 View Post
Great job, Leo!

I'm down another 1.5 after yesterday's DD. That was a tough DD! I had a really rough week with not sticking to plan very well, which is why it took me until Thursday to start showing any losses.

Today is of course, then, a UD. I think asparagus quiche is on the menu today, and maybe yogurt and raspberries, if the raspberries are still good.

Last night was my first night with no pain meds, and I felt fine! I did wake up in the middle of the night, but did go back to sleep.

Carrollee
way to go...
you are doing gr8
Old 01-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

I was just sitting here wondering who else feels really cold on dd??? I know it's because my body is not having to do much digestion but I get really really cold! I like hot liquids but it just seems to make my face hot and the rest of my body is still cold. Bizzare!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #283
Blabbermouth!!!

I freeze on my dds.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #284
Senior LCF member

I seem to always feel cold, so I'll have to check to see if I'm colder on DDs than UDs. It makes sense, especially for those of you who don't eat all day until the evening.

If it's not true for me it could be because I eat most of my calories early. But I'm going to try to check on this next week because I find it interesting.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Good evening!

I've been reading in here and wondering if JUDD and I could make a go of it.

Leo: Your posts are inspiring and so is your weight loss. I just don't know if I could be as organized and strong as you!

So, I read on the website that Dr. J's 2-week 1st phase is 500 calories a day, period. No up days. Is that correct?
OK, if I understand that correctly, I'll be starting tomorrow and going for 14 days of 500 calories.
After the 2 weeks, then I start the alternating days, correct?

Edited:
I think I'm confused! There ARE UDs, but on the Ds I stay at 500 cal, is that correct? Oh, help me! LOL!

Question: What average carb counts do y'all stick to? I need to be low carb (not more than 30) a day to feel my best.

Is there a link to the DD recipe thread?

Thanks for any feedback y'all!

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-15-2011 at 05:25 PM..
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #286
Senior LCF member

RealFoodLiving-
You were right the second time--there are UDs and DDs during the first two weeks, and each DD should be 500 cal or less. If you go to the official JUDDD website, there's a calculator that gives you your DD calories. My first number was 430, so I did that from the beginning. Some people can get a number higher than 500 (it's rare, but it happens), and that's why there's a caution to stay at 500 or below for the plan to be most effective.

I notice in your signature line that you're diabetic. In his book, Dr. J warns that some diabetics cannot do this plan, and we've had some here who had to stop because of problems with blood sugar. My own sister is a Type 2, and she could not manage DDs without becoming hypoglycemic. So please monitor your BG carefully if you try this.

Although this isn't a low carb plan, many of us eat low carb regularly. I usually have 20g-30g carbs on UDs and even lower on DDs, since I focus on protein as much as possible on DDs.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thankyou Leo for replying.

Yes, I did the calculator thingie and it said my DD calories should be at 373! Whaaaa?

Yes, I wondering if the caloric restriction was too much for a T2 diabetic.

I don't have the book, but is there more info regarding diabetics and JUDD?

I am on diabetes oral medications 3 x per day so I am a little concerned about going to 373 calories. Is there more info online any place?

Thank you so much!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #288
Senior LCF member

RealFoodLiving-
No, there really isn't any more info online. In his book, Dr. J goes more into the science behind why it's tough for most diabetics, but I gave away my book, and at the time, I really didn't follow his explanation very well.

What you might do is Google BloodSugar 101 who used to post here. I'm sure you can contact her via her website. She tried JUDDD with us and found that she couldn't manage to control her blood sugar on this plan. She knows so much about diabetes that I'm sure she can answer any questions you have.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning judders!!

Up day fo me today! I am taking out my disabled uncle today. He is 95 and still has a love for life. I planned a big party with the family at a local restaurant. I have already checked out menu so I plan on staying low carb with pork chop with broccoli rabe!! No cake for me today. I plan on passing!!

What's up with everybody else??
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #290

Good Morning. A DD for me, and it'll be a busy day, so that always helps the hours pass quickly with less time to let my thoughts turn to the urge to nibble.

JKat, what a wonderful thing for you to be taking Uncle for such a happy outing. Bless his heart.

RealFoodLiving, I hope you can stay with us here, but if this plan isn't the one which works best for you, I'll enjoy your participation with the general group over on the Main Lobby.

Leo, as usual you have come up with the perfect thought for how she can get more info on JUDDD/diabetes balance.. BloodSugar101. Of course. She's such a nice lady too.

Good luck today for Everyone, and hope you are all staying warm and cozy.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning y'all,

I do think that the "cycling" really has hit the answer.

I'm reading at the JUDD site and JUDD forums here and I believe this concept really is what I need. There are variations of this up and down days and perhaps some modification due to diabetic concerns.

I am cognizant of the gene factor and want to get that as well.

So, I'd like to at least try to adhere to the JUDD program, monitoring my glucose readings and see how it goes.

I do have a beginning question.

The JUDD calculator has options for 20%, 25%, 30% etc. and those choices give me the amount of calories for my down days.

With the most weight loss option, 20%, my calories should be 373. Now, for me, that would not work.

Are the other options, such as 25-30% reasonable places to start as long as they are under 500 calories?

I'm thinking, that as a T2 diabetic, I may have to choose a slower option and use more calories to avoid lows, and STILL follow the plan. If I choose 25%, my DD calories are 467.
Is that still a good option, rather than the 20% option?
Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Today is my 1st DD and I'm shooting for 467 calories and monitoring my blood sugar readings.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 01-16-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sohappy!! Have a greAt dd. I had a tough one yesterday but got through it. My weight is still stable !! Yea

Realfood hello and welcome. I think this is a tough one for us to answe for u. R your blood sugars stable now ?? Do u have a specific range the dr. Wants u to maintain? Do u know when u r hypoglycemia ? I think that u will need a good handle on this before u start. I also think upping the calories a bit is a good idea however u r the only one that will know if u need to go slower. U will need to monitor yourself close and I think u should spread those calories throughout the day. Also have a plan as to what u will eat if your bs drops!!

I am talking about dd Above. This plan does work because of calorie cycling do u can loose as long as your up days are within limits.

Last edited by JKat; 01-16-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

RealFood, I think that if you stick to the 25%, you may see a slightly lower rate of loss, but you also need to do what is best for you. Also, the website clearly states that they round the induction phase for EVERYONE to 500 calories, no matter what your current weight is. After the first two weeks you can go up to 35% of your recommended calories on down days, and maintenance is 50-60%. But I haven't gotten to maintenance yet, so I don't know if 50-60% is really realistic.

I maintained after my UD yesterday. I'm looking forward to starting my working out again tomorrow, even though I'll just be doing 15-20 minutes of T Tapp.

And I am so looking forward to being able to pick up Max again!!!

Carrollee
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Omg carolee!!!!. I am a tapper too!! I just took my tapes out this week and did my first 15min basic plus this morning
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

JKat!!!!! That's awesome! Do you ever post in the tapper thread in the exercise group? There are only a few people in there.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #296
Senior LCF member

Real Food- Given the diabetic issues, I'd stay at 500 cal for the first two weeks of DDs, since you want the benefit of the gene factor. That will also tell you if this plan works for you.

I agree with Jodi that you should definitely spread those calories out during the day. I have done that ever since I started JUDDD--I eat at least 3 times on DDs, and if you create 150 cal 'mini meals,' you should be OK--from a food perspective; you're going to have to decide about the diabetes issue.

If you decide to go lower, it's much easier after having done those 500 cal days because while the other numbers may seem frightening, it's just a matter of cutting slightly when you're already at 500--at least that was my experience.

Jodi- I hope you have a great day! Keep in mind that good times with family do not depend on eating cake You can enjoy yourself just as well with low carb--I've done it!

Carrollee- Glad you're doing so well!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
First weigh in for 1 week.>> Lost 5lbs.
Kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #298
Senior LCF member

Congratulations on the loss, Kind!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #299

RealFoodLiving, I hope this works for you and you can stay here with us. And I'm thinking also that if the extremely low Down Days isn't going to work for you, at least upping those DD calories just a bit might, and it will still be a nice way to lower your caloric consumption overall. And keeping my fingers crossed that the 500 cal DDs are a go too.

Carollee and JKat, I've never even heard of T-Tapp (LOL) so now I'm going to have to go look it up to see what it is.

kind, fabulous weight loss. Congratulations!

Leo, Daisey, and all the Rest who haven't posted for a bit, I just wanted to mention something that I'd read about and tried today to see if it helped me. (And it DID.) A mug of hot, hot water with some sea salt in it. Sort of tastes like broth with the benefit of 0 calories but with the sea minerals added in for me, which is supposed to be the health benefit of sea salts to begin with. -- Of course, if you're bothered with salt in your diet and tend to retain fluid, this probably wouldn't work for you. Luckily I don't seem to have much problem retaining fluid or suffering from puffy fingers or legs. -- And wouldn't drink more than a mug full, but it really did scale my appetite well back again. Now I can wait for supper until later, and that's a good help in resisting evening snacking on my DDs.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy, there's a thread on the exercise board that talks about it some, and then if you google Teresa has a website. I got the book first, and I do think the website is a bit infomercial-y, but the results are pretty incredible and speaking from first hand experience, it does work.