Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
December JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day/Down Day Diet)

December JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day/Down Day Diet)

The following information has been copied from the JUDDD official website:

Getting Started
There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr Johnson's website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnson's site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management
The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow.

Diet Stress
Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood
We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day
On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day
It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight
How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

What People On The Diet Have To Say“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.

“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.

“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.

“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.

For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Welcome to December!

To reply to Leisa's final post in November about maintaining on Fast 5, I think it's a great idea to do what is most 'natural' for you. That's the key to success in weight loss/maintenance, it seems to me. To get to know yourself and find a plan/method that works well with your temperament.

This month marks my second anniversary with JUDDD (began on the 17th in 2008), and what's interesting is that I never thought this would 'work' for me.
I was desperate at the time because I'd been stalled on generic low carb for almost a year, losing and gaining the same 10 lbs and unable to get below 250 for any length of time without ballooning back up.

I realized that I needed to seriously restrict calories, but it was so difficult to do on a daily basis. JUDDD makes it possible, and what amazed me is that doing DDs really helped me gain control of my 'food issues' for the first time in my life. I could never imaging eating <500 cal and not starving to death

JUDDD worked for me better than I ever anticipated!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magentagirl13
Stats: 176.5/174/128.5
WOE: low carb JUDDD and IF (8 eating hours)
Start Date: 4/22/06; restarting 3/1/13
Morning everyone! Today is a true UD for me. I managed to lose another half pound yesterday, so I'm starting today with a 20 pound loss for this round of low carb. I will be okay with a gain on the scale tomorrow if it happens, since I'm expecting that after an up day.

It's good that I changed the days around because today is grocery shopping day which might have been more of a challenge on a DD. Not that I'm going to buy everything in sight even if I'm hungry, though.

Carrollee
magentagirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Thank you for a bit of your story, Leo. I hadn't realized that you had been following the JUDDD guidelines for anywhere nearly that long! You are such a good inspiration for us.

I, too, am hoping to prove to myself that not only does this plan work, but that it is easy to sustain in the long term. For me, the proof will be in the results, of course, and since I've just decided to go for another round of weight loss, this is great timing.

I'm another one who would want to put a bullet in my head of I had to be on a weight loss diet of continual low calories! But I'm also one who really hates the immense list of foods and ingredients from around the world that are *off plan-forbidden-no/no* foods on the real low carb eating plans too. That was always a little abhorrent to me. (Even though I'm on a Low Carb site, I've never been truly very happy with eating strictly low carb in reality. I continually found it to be extremely restrictive. LOL)

I just wanted to eat regular food in reasonable portions again. Like we used to do when I was a child and mama cooked it (mostly from scratch from real ingredients)... because very little had been developed in the way of processed convenience foods at that time.

The JUDDD plan seems to be a perfect fit for me. The DDs don't seem to be too hard to get through, and the UDs are quite lovely and pleasant with being able to go anywhere, eat anything, and enjoy the real flavors of all sorts of foods.

I've only gone overboard a couple of times on UDs (in my estimation). And that was pretty easy to *undo* the next day. It's been pretty easy to continue my maintenance on JUDDD, and now I'll see how weight loss goes. I'm very hopeful.

But in the meantime, today is an Up Day!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

SoHappy- The only reason I eat low carb is that I seem to be one of those people who is extremely sensitive to carbs. When I first did Atkins way back in 1972, I found that my 'critical carb level' was about 25g a day. Beyond that, my insatiable hunger returned.

And because carbs really don't 'agree' with me, I don't find that eating low carb is restrictive. For example, although I love fruit, if I eat it, I can't stop--and I can also eat everything else in the house! So despite my love for fruit, knowing how my body responds keeps me from feeling deprived--i.e., I choose not to eat fruit rather than deal with the consequences.

I think that's the problem with some people on the Main Lobby who feel so deprived. They probably are not truly carb sensitive and came to low carb because they heard it was a good way to drop weight fast, but they miss their favorite carb treats.

Most of weight loss (in my experience) is finding what works best for you--considering both the physical and psychological.

Last edited by Leo41; 12-01-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #6

Boy, Leo! I think you're absolutely right. One size does not fit all when it comes to what foods you do well on and which ones throw you for a loop, which foods make you feel fantastic and which foods make you feel zonked or else green around the gills.

I'm always so surprised to read the stories of those who had a big carb overload and felt physically sick the next day... that's never, ever happened to me in my life from carbs! Is far as I can tell by how I feel mentally and physically, and how my body works and responds, I don't experience any adverse effects at all.

But too much fat makes me feel gakky, and when people talk about putting coconut oil in their coffee, I can feel my throat constrict and my stomach clinch.

But you know what I like so much about the JUDDD woe is that it can work well for all of us that are comfortable on it, however we structure our eating.
I do expect I eat at a somewhat higher carb level than others here, but the calorie caps on DDs and even the recommended levels for UDs sort of keep us all within reason, I guess.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Hi everyone, it took me till now to realize, duh, it's Dec, there's a new thread. lol! So, here I am, finally!

DD today and I had my third in a row identical menu because it's easy and I'm still really enjoying it. When I get tired of it, I guess I'll switch.

Tomorrow night I'm having a chili dinner to raise money for our mission trip and we've made lots of goodies today (yes, on a dd! and it was a bit difficult) so I look forward to my UD. I'll be busy most of the day so most of my calories will be at night again. I'll probably nibble along the way though.

Headed to bed. I don't usually stay up this late on a dd, but my daughter needed me to rub her back tonight and I just finished doing that. Goodnight all.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Leisa- Don't worry about the same menu for your DDs. A long time ago, I read an article that people were most successful with weight loss when they stayed with similar foods. For example, they profiled some people who always ate the same breakfast and lunch, and only changed the protein/veggies they had for dinner. I think it's similar with DDs. I have specific things I rely on and rarely introduce any 'new' foods on a DD.

SoHappy- I find that I can't eat the fat level that most of the low carbers advocate. I don't avoid fat, but I certainly don't go out of my way to add it to things. And I would certainly never add fat to my coffee or tea-ugh! I read somewhere that 'older' women do better with lower fat, and that seems to be the case for me.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #9

Good Morning, JUDDDers! I'm happy to report I'm down .2 lbs. after a reasonable and pleasant UD yesterday.

Today will be one filled with a lot of 'little things' that need to get accomplished.. loose ends.. projects almost but not quite finished, a little Christmas decorating, starting the baking for Christmas Goody Plates for friends and neighbors, some paperwork, etc. All those odds and ends of stuff that need to be done but that you always put off. Well, today's the day. If I stay busy on a DD, it helps me not be thinking of eating much, even if my tummy is a bit empty.

I hope you all do well today, whether on an UD or doing a DD. I'll pop in here to read off and on.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Hi everyone. dd for me today. I am getting ready to have some
black coffee.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
New to JUDD

Long-time LC follower. Have tried a little of most plans except *******. Glad for that.
DH and I started JUDD yesterday. Decided not to wait for New Year's.

12/1 was a DD. Today is UD. This seems to fit with our lifestyle. So, watching this closely. Looking for help here.

Do we need to buy the book?
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
Long-time LC follower. Have tried a little of most plans except *******. Glad for that.

12/1 was a DD. Today is UD. This seems to fit with our lifestyle. So, watching this closely. Looking for help here.

I haven't yet.. may see if I can find it in a library. But the guidance here is so good and the plan is so simple that it's pretty easy to do. Since there aren't really any *off-plan* foods, you can pretty much design your own menus based on foods you know you'll enjoy, do well on, and that will give you the results you want from your food.. whether that's not having to give it a single thought or whether it's fussing with every detail for your dining pleasure. I do think most people doing the plan here (LCF) are following a low or lower carb way of eating, but it will work wonderfully for folks following about any program. It's based on calories, so obviously the higher carb foods are also higher in calories anyway. It's a plan that helps you keep a fairly balanced carb level just by the calorie limits that are imposed.

I've chaffed somewhat under the food restrictions that are called for under low carb, and this plan allows me to experience a larger variation in my diet than I did when I followed tighter Low Carb guidelines.

And I don't have a problem with *portion control*, which is a troublesome thing for some. I don't mind eating in moderation, but I do eat at a higher carb level than many here do. I've been maintaining for quite some time now.

I decided in the last couple of days to enter another period of weight-loss, so I'm using this plan now at a slightly lower level to slim down a bit more. I like the fact that any food restrictions I am to follow (in this plan, a calorie level) is only for one day.

I'm glad to have another new JUDDD member here, so Welcome!!! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Love the sweet little blue merle in your avatar picture!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Senior LCF member

Mona-

You can easily do the plan with just the information available on the JUDDD website (where the calculator gives you your DD calories), but the book itself is very inexpensive. I bought it from Amazon two years ago for about $5.

The only thing the book adds is more information about the scientific basis for the plan, and about half of the book is recipes--if that interests you. I eat low carb (and very simply), and all the recipes were too carby or complex for me, so I gave my book to my sister who loves to make new things.

I started this plan 2 years ago on 17 December because I wanted to be able to 'enjoy' Christmas as an UD, so you're right--there's no reason to wait until the holidays are over when you're doing JUDDD. This plan has really helped me enjoy my holidays and lose weight at the same time!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Well, after I ate my dinner last night, my food went right through me. I thought it was a one time thing, but when I got up this morning, I had a bowl of Frosted Flakes and a little later the same thing happened. I started feeling a little hungry a few minutes ago and ate a few tortilla chips. Hoping things settle. If things don't get way better, I'll be having an UD tomorrow also since today is not turning out to be an UD so far.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post

I personally do not see a reason to buy the book.
I have it. But I have learned everything I feel I need to know
from this thread. and the people that visit it.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I woke up at 430am so hungry. Its a good thing its an up day.
But I waited until 815am for my breakfast.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I thought more about my tummy issues and both times were immediately after having coffee. Coffee doesn't usually do that to me, but I laid off yesterday and after eating those chips, things settled down, so I ended up eating some chili, cornbread and dessert last night at our dinner (not much but enough to have at least a MD) so I'm going to attempt a DD today. I am spending the morning at a friends helping her move and if she offers me lunch I may have it but at this point, just don't know. I may just turn it down on the basis that my tummy needs to rest. I think a rest today would be good for it.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Leisa sometimes coffee does that to me to.
But not always thank goodness.
I love it.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey JUDDDers!

Well, I almost made it through my DD yesterday, but I was super hungry all day. TOM hits today and I think I usually get super hungry right before a loss! Today, I am officially back to my siggy weight! Even after more of a moderate day. That's great considering TOM is here. I JUDDD! It is so forgiving, as long as you work it.

So, the weekend is almost upon me and this is where I normally fall. I have a plan and feel pretty determined. All my meals for the weekend are planned and entered into ******. I have also scheduled a few appointments tommorrow to keep myself really busy. It really seems to help when I am out and about running errands. Today, is going to be either an UD or moderate day, since yesterday was a moderate day. Tommorrow is a DD, NO MATTER WHAT! lol

Leisa - I hope your tummy is feeling better. I had a stomach bug a few weeks ago that put me out of commission for a day. It was absolutely horrible. I couldn't eat a thing, which means I am really sick...LOL.

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #20
Senior LCF member

I don't want a bug, but I'd love to have some days when I'm not hungry at all! Today is a tough DD--I have to just keep telling myself that I can eat tomorrow!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

OK. Now on my 2nd DD. It's going well. Just knowing that 'tomorrow' I can eat freely helps to get through the DD for me. Hubby is on board as well.

On my DD, I am using Atkins drinks as suggested. They always seem to satisfy me for a long time. Yesterday on my UP I ate reasonably and enjoyed it. I was still below the total calories by about 300.

Already feeling better...less bloated. Hubby mentioned that he wasn't as tired during the day as he had been. We all know how unrestricted high carbs/sugar effect energy and well-being.

After a couple of weeks I'll probably be using that soup recipe. Sounds like a winner.

Next Tues. 12/7 I have a social function that I must eat at. If I don't it will be noticed and I don't want to offend. I would fall on a DD. Without doing a MD, what's the best way to switch it from DD to UP? I suppose I could do 2 DD's in a row (a little hard). But, I want to be true to this plan.

Is a "day" to you 12 midnight to 12 midnight?

Thank you for all of the info posted here. Looking forward to sharing this experience.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #22
Senior LCF member

Hi Mona-
This plan 'frowns' on consecutive DDs, but I must admit I've never been tempted because I think it's a triumph to get through one DD!

Why don't you want to do a MD? That's the easiest way to re-set your alternation. I've also done consecutive UDs and still lost, mainly because my UDs tend to be very moderate.

Last year, for example, I visited my sister for Christmas, and our family tradition is a big meal on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so I ate consecutive UDs. By 26 Dec, my body was demanding a DD, and I must admit it was the easiest one I've ever done. And I had a loss for the week that was consistent with my regular losses.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #23
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In
Although my 'goal' is listed at 165, I'd really like to get down to 155 so that the decade of the 150s will be where I maintain.

Was 160.5 this morning--which is interesting because I've been 'stuck' at about 162-63 for a month or so. Since I haven't exercised for a few weeks because of my recent medical issues, I've been more careful with my eating because I fear gaining with lack of exercise.

The drop in weight suggests that being 'stuck' was basically because I wasn't being as careful as I should with my eating. My DDs were fine, but I was giving myself too much leeway on UDs. It seems that both are important for me.

I plan to continue careful eating until Christmas Day (my next splurge). By the way, my 'splurge' for Thanksgiving may also have helped push the scale down because I find that if I have a high calorie/high carb day every 4-6 weeks, it helps me lose.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning JUDDDers. UD today and apparently my tummy is still not totally better. I had a rough night with a headache and was up most of the night. At 5am, I got up and was hungry, so I ate a few cookies and drank some chamomile tea, went back to bed and slept till 9, but then within a hour of waking my stomach was all upset again. So, I'm wondering how this UD will go and if it will end up being another MD like Thursday. My hubby was up most of the night too with a tummy thing so apparently there is something going around. Today is our Christmas parade and I will NOT miss that! I love the parade! so I'm going to be very careful with what I eat...maybe some Saltine crackers and a little chicken soup.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
just a drive by to say CONGRATS to Leo! Almost a new decade! Awesome awesome awesome--

still liking very much the freedom from hunger the homeopathic hcg is giving me--makes my vlcd's very very tolerable--and helps me control my higher days without going overboard

good vibes to all the JUDDDers here!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #26
Senior LCF member

Mona- I forgot to answer your question about timing. I count my 'days' in terms of when I go to bed and when I wake up--e.g., typically, I'll go to bed about 9 pm, and I get up (thanks to my annoying cat) about 3 am. So I begin a DD at 3 am and end it at 9 pm. However, I tend to be a morning eater, and I rarely eat after 4 or 5 pm on both UDs and DDs.

Leisa- You must have one of those annoying stomach bugs. Last time I had one, my doctor told me the most important thing is to stay hydrated, so if you have something like Pedialyte, that would be good. He also told me that I'd be better off staying with liquids and not eating anything at all (if I could stand it) because it helps the digestive system 'heal' if it doesn't have to work. I must say that I was actually very comfortable doing that.

Ouis- Good to see you here--and thanks for your good wishes!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Today is UP. Wasn't really hungry yet, but empty. Went to our local Carolina Bar B Que, had sandwich, couple bites of fried squash and 2 onion rings, splenda tea. I'm counting about 900 at most. Very lean BarB Q with vinegar based sauce. I filled up quickly. Won't eat anything else until later tonight. What a treat to be able to eat this way.

This is just very satisfying. I can do this. Hubby, too.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Weekly Weigh In
Although my 'goal' is listed at 165, I'd really like to get down to 155 so that the decade of the 150s will be where I maintain.

Was 160.5 this morning--which is interesting because I've been 'stuck' at about 162-63 for a month or so. Since I haven't exercised for a few weeks because of my recent medical issues, I've been more careful with my eating because I fear gaining with lack of exercise.

The drop in weight suggests that being 'stuck' was basically because I wasn't being as careful as I should with my eating. My DDs were fine, but I was giving myself too much leeway on UDs. It seems that both are important for me.

I plan to continue careful eating until Christmas Day (my next splurge). By the way, my 'splurge' for Thanksgiving may also have helped push the scale down because I find that if I have a high calorie/high carb day every 4-6 weeks, it helps me lose.
congrats
Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

wow you guys are quiet on the weekends! dd for me and I am starving...... BUT I find hunger as almost welcome right now. I also think after the stomach thing, my stomach is welcoming these "quiet" times. Sipping tea on this cold, cold day and going to clean house, start going through clothes to take to Honduras and add straw to my chicken coop to keep my chickies warm. We didn't go to church this morning because the weather wasn't too promising and I wasn't sure how the roads were. Going to enjoy the quiet day....well sorta quiet. Plan to have my usual dd fare this evening. : ) have a great day all!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hey Good Morning Leo~

I would like to join this group and try the JUDDD, low carb style. My support group thread was pretty quiet yesterday so I went snooping and found this one. Of course I'm going to start my down day tomorrow so I can get some Atkins shakes and stuff. DO you have any suggestions for first time, first week out? Also, what is a MD day?

Your numbers are very impressive, and while I'm sure this hasn't been an easy journey for you, it has obviously been successful so far. I can't imagine how many times you've answered these same questions in other threads...so thank you in advance for your advice.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote