Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
November JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day/Down Day Diet)

November JUDDD (Dr. Johnson's Up Day/Down Day Diet)

The following information has been copied from the JUDDD official website:

Getting Started

There are two phases: weight loss and maintainance. To lose weight, calorie intake on the “down” day is limited to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirement, although it is strongly recommended that calories be below 25% when starting a weight loss diet. To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, down day intake is kept at 50% to 60% of calorie needs.

Use the following tool (go to Dr Johnson's website for this) to calculate the down day calorie requirements. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate the "Activity" level, thereby allowing themselves high calorie allowance on the down day. To avoid this problem, for the first two weeks, you should consume no more than 500 calories on the down day regardless of your activity level.

Please google Dr. Johnson's site to find the Up Day Down Day Calorie Calculator

*This calculator provides an estimate of your calorie requirement so that you can determine your down day calories. The "Normal Calories" shown may be more or less than you actually feel like eating on the up day. The important principle is to adhere to the down day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat all the calories shown as "Normal Calories".

Hunger Management
The key to success on the down day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow.

Diet Stress

Other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten. This requires intricate meal plans and menus, cooking separate meals, and often more expensive foods. This wastes a lot of time and creates great stress. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the up day and your choices are greatly simplified on the down day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood
We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

The Up Day
On the up day, you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat.

When starting out, it is important to not concern yourself with up day calorie intake because of the phenomena of diet stress and diet fatigue. Focus on staying under 20-25% on the down day.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the up day is unimportant compared to adhering to the down day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

The Down Day
It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the down day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the down day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on ongoing basis.

We strongly suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten.. This is critically important to help guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.

Body Weight

How much you lose depends on several factors, the average in our study was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You should weigh yourself only on the morning after a down day and not more often than once a week or fluctuations will lead to frustration.

What People On The Diet Have To Say“I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on the diet.” – Heidi P.

“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.

“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.

“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.

For more information, visit Dr. Johnson's website, or read his book,
"The Alternate-Day Diet: Turn on Your 'Skinny Gene,' Shed the Pounds, and Live a Longer and Healthier Life."

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

I'm making a new commitment to JUDDD this month!

In trying to figure out how to maintain, I got away from my low calorie DDs and have had trouble getting back. I've begun strength training (in addition to my usual swimming), and since I only had DDs for that, I was also troubled by increased appetite, but I'm determined to get all this under control.

I have not gained, but this month I've felt more 'out-of-control' with food than at any other time since I began JUDDD almost 2 years ago.

It's really true that in maintaining, a person can't go too far from where they wind up--in terms of carbs/calories--so I really want to stay with my low DDs and controlled UDs and just add one 'free day' a week. I will not re-gain!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Leo - You can do it! The start of a new month is a perfect time for a fresh start.

I am also making a new commitment to JUDDD. I realized I really just have to make up my mind to do it. I work JUDDD perfectly throughout the week, and then the weekend I fall apart. Well, yesterday was Halloween and it's usually really hard for me. I stayed away from the candy and had a moderate day. I was really proud of myself. I know it's all just about doing it.

I have started exercising again a couple of months ago, but have not been really consistant. I am making a committment to exercise at least 4-5 days a week. I always feel alot better when I exercise, including sleep better.

Anyway, DD for me today and it's all planned out! I am ready to get these last pesky 10 lbs off.

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

DD for me today, too, Michelle.
I went to do my strength work this morning, and I think that 'hunger' I was feeling was just thirst. The past two times, I've been incredibly thirsty when I finish and today after I polished off a big bottle of water, I found that I didn't have that ravenous hunger I felt the first few times that I used the machines.

It could be that my body just needed to get used to that new form of exertion, but it also could have been the need for fluids. In any case, I feel better today and think this will all work out.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewSize4Me
Stats: 175.8/165.2/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 7, 2013
Good morning. Just checking in. Today was weigh-in day and I lost exactly 5 pounds since starting last Monday!! If there was a smiley icon for jumping up and down it would be here ___. I'm doing alternate UD/DD with no medium days for the first two weeks to see how it goes. So far so good! Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences on the board or I would have never known about this WOE.
NewSize4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

New Size
Congratulations! That's a great loss. I'm so glad JUDDD is working well for you.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSize4Me View Post
Good morning. Just checking in. Today was weigh-in day and I lost exactly 5 pounds since starting last Monday!! If there was a smiley icon for jumping up and down it would be here ___. I'm doing alternate UD/DD with no medium days for the first two weeks to see how it goes. So far so good! Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences on the board or I would have never known about this WOE.
NewSize4Me - - That is great!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Wtg new size!!

Leo I too had a really bad week. Some of my UD's have turned into free days and thats just aweful!!! I slightly up this month from my personal range. I find maintaining so much harder to figure out than losing. My plan is to start fitdaying again on my UD's...I have my foods prepared and hope this will help with my UD..... It seems like I have a couple of good days and then couple of bad days. Judd is so forgiving and sometimes I think that works against me really putting my mind to be healthy and maintaining!!!

Besides the plan of foods on UD I plan on fitting in a bit more exercise. I want to make sure I get in my runs this week. I am also going to start a tape that I love that uses the bands for strength training.

I am hoping to have a better week. I am going to also try and come here more often. Life just seemed to slam me in the face this month!!! I do so much better when I keep in closer touch with u guys.

Last edited by JKat; 11-02-2010 at 03:02 AM..
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Jodi- Yeah, this 'maintaining' is a lot more challenging than I anticipated! This week, I'm going back to my 'regular JUDDD' routine, and if I can lose a little, then I plan to raise calories very, very slowly until I'm maintaining.

I didn't like the higher DDs, so I may want to continue with that, but I've been doing my strength workouts on 2 DDs, so I might be able to add a few calories on those days, but I plan to do any increases slowly so that I can see what works and doesn't. I'd like to lose another 10 lbs, so I can lose it slowly while tinkering. I'm hoping that by the time I lose a few more lbs, I'll have figured this all out.

Now I'm beginning to see why many people regain lost weight--i.e., they're unprepared for 'maintenance,' which they assume will be easy because they don't have to 'diet.' I think maintenance is just as challenging as weight loss, but in a very different way. Oddly, near the end, losing wasn't a challenge for me because I was in such a 'routine,' so this is even more difficult. But I will manage it!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Today is a DD for me. I got two lbs. out of whack while DH was home, so back to the trenches for me.

Time for me to get back to being more active. No one can make better excuses than me for not walking or doing my Pilates. Here I am with this $2500 reformer and I only circle it like a demon. Well, at least I looked at it. Talk about lazy!

Wishes for a good day to all!
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Suze- DDs will take care of those 2 lbs easily! One of the best things about JUDDD is how forgiving it is of "dietary indiscretions."

I know how you feel about exercising. My body loves it, but I can think of a million excuses to avoid it. What works for me is to remind myself how good it feels and how I never feel that way if I don't do it!

What also helps is that my garage is attached to the house. This means when I get ready to go to my health club on these very cold mornings at 6 am, I don't have to go outdoors until I arrive! By then, it's not worth backing out
Old 11-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Hi everyone. still juddding with you all. I am finely off my 7 day midnight rotation. Thank you Jesus. dd for me today.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF member

That's tough, dasiey, 7 nights on that rotation! I'm glad you came through with JUDDD, too.

My DD turned into a Medium Day today because of an unexpected social engagement, so I plan to have a 'small' UD tomorrow and eat carefully.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Leo the nice thing about juddd is we can make it work.

I have learned I lose weight slowly. and every week I may
not have a loss. But I don't gain any weight either. So i
feel right there I win.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #15
Senior LCF member

I absolutely agree with you, dasiey!

A lot of people on the Main Lobby complain when they don't lose, but I think of any week without a gain as a success!

I, too, lose very, very slowly, and I've realized that my body is really "in charge" of the pace of my weight loss. I was reminded of this a couple of years ago when my thyroid hormones tanked (although I was taking thyroid meds at the time). Even though I was eating at a level where I'd lost a pound a week, I suddenly gained 10 lbs in two weeks! Fortunately, I was scheduled for one of my regular check ups with my endo, and the blood test revealed the problem.

Any hormonal shift for a woman can result in no loss or a gain, and we just have to deal with it. Fortunately, those hormonal issues can mainly result in 'water' gain, so it's easily lost.

The lesson I've learned is to stay on plan for at least a month to see how the body responds. After a month to 6 weeks is when it's time to 'tweak,' it seems to me.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree. On my dds I eat only things that I know with out a dought what the calories are. and I do not go over my 500 calories. So lately I have been wondering if I should lower that number to maybe 400 calories. I think it would be hard for me.

I have been getting my uds in better control. I am not counting 100% but being very mindful of whats on my plate.

This coming week will be a little harder I have 3 up coming events. So I will have to be very careful.

Last edited by dasiey; 11-04-2010 at 05:54 AM..
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #17
Senior LCF member

dasiey- If you're comfortable at 500 cal, I wouldn't try to lower the number unless you think you'd like to eat less. Seriously, I went lower on my DDs just because it 'felt right,' but I was doing DDs for a very long time before that happened.

Are you going to make those 'events' UDs? You know that you can manipulate your rotation (with a 'medium day') to insure that any event involving eating happens on an UD.

By the way, during the past few years, I'd had to have consecutive UDs a couple of times because of social things, and I just ate carefully. It didn't seem to affect my weight loss--i.e., I was losing a pound a week and those weeks I still lost my pound.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Well two of them fall on up days. the other I hope to make a medium day.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #19
Senior LCF member

You should be fine with this, dasiey. The key for me in similar situations is to eat moderately on those UDs and keep your DDs perfectly. I find good DDs to be the solution to any eating issues.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

So do I. Even on those dds that are so hard.

I wonder where the others are?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Dasiey - I am here!

Hey guys!! I am still here JUDDDing and really feeling in the groove and great! The hard part is coming up for me, the WEEKEND! I really need to be more consistant on the weekends to see a loss. An added stress is it is TOM time. Here's the thing I am feeling pretty strong, but still nervous. I really need to make it through this weekend without going crazy.

I am doing an UD Saturday and moderate Sunday. I have Sunday all planned out and I actually did a great moderate last Sunday. I need to put some thought into Saturday and just stick too it. I think once I know I can do this and make it through a weekend I will be okay.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Senior LCF member

From my perspective, weekends are always tough, Michelle. There's something psychological about wanting to just 'kick back' and not worry about anything on the weekend. Even though I'm now retired, and every day is pretty much a weekend, I still feel different on Saturdays and Sundays.

Just remind yourself that anyone who can do a DD can pretty much do anything!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #23
Senior LCF member

Some of you (lurkers, too!) may remember BillB who posted regularly with us and then seemed to just 'disappear' from LCF entirely. He sent me the following PM and asked me to post to let you all know that he'll be back soon--and fill you in on why he's been absent:

Hey...

I just logged in for a minute to say hello.

--My dad went into the hospital in early March.
--Our house burned in May.
--A week after the house burned, my mother had a severe heart attack, and for a while, my parents were hospitalized in separate cities.
--For most of the summer, Dad was in a hospital two hours away, and mom and I were still in a hotel, trying to find a house to buy and commuting to see Dad almost daily.
--In September, Dad died and we finally closed on a house.

I fell off the wagon, and have gained some weight during this ordeal, mostly I think, from stress, and the difficulty of being strict with food staying in a hotel and on the road. Today I am trying to fast for the first time since May.

We're still having repairs done to our new house (it was a foreclosure and had been "let go" for a couple years...but I am hoping to have my life back by Thanksgiving, which will mean visiting LCF on a regular basis again.

If you want to update anyone who remembers me, feel free.

All best,
Bill
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Leo Thanks for letting us know that he is okay. I do remember him, and always wonder when I see people disappear. Sounds like he has been through quite alot, and I am happy to hear he will be back with us!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Thanks leo! I have often wondered about bill. Hope things ease up soon.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Thanks, Leo! Hope things start turning around for Bill.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

wow I am looking forward to Bill coming back.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Hi everyone, I tried to come back some time ago and ended up trying something different. I had gotten to my goal weight last year following JUDDD and Fast 5 and I intend to do it again. I started yesterday and fasted until evening, then had a whey protein egg cream and a greek yogurt before bed. Today, I have fasted until just now. I ate a biscuit and two sausage balls. : ) I've been cooking all day for a spaghetti dinner we're doing tonight to raise money for a mission trip we're going on next month. Glad to be back and glad to hear that Bill will be back!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #29
Senior LCF member

Hi Leisa-
Good to see you back!

I've been having difficulty keeping DDs lately, and it may be because I've started strength training, and I do it the mornings of DDs. I find myself ravenous by noon and can't stay with such low calories--but since I'm 'maintaining,' I think I haven't tried hard enough.

For the past two years, I never exercised on DDs--just the normal movement of daily life (which is actually what Dr. J suggests). So I may have to cease exercising on DDs. I wanted to do my strength work and swimming on separate days, but I may have to combine them and stay longer at the health club.

I'm going to give it one more week just to see if this is only an "adjustment" period.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Great UD today. I was cooking all day long for a spaghetti dinner I had tonight and was planning to do Fast 5 along with my UD. I ended up having 2 biscuits about 1pm with a couple of sausage balls and then didn't eat anything until the dinner was over. Had a bowl of spaghetti and two pumpkin cookies. Totally exhausted! Looking forward to a quiet, lazy DD tomorrow!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote