Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #211
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Today's a regular DD, and I want to make it a good one so that I can enjoy tomorrow, but I'm hungry! I need to remind myself that it 'passes,' and I can do this because I've done it so many times before.

I have a lot of things to do around that house because I'm having unexpected overnight guests arriving tonight, so that should help. I find that when I'm busy, it's much easier to deal with DDs.

Happy Thanksgiving to all JUDDDers!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #212
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Happy thanksgiving! Drink your green tea Leo that will help.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #213
Senior LCF member

Drinking a cup right now, dasiey--THANKS!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #214
Blabbermouth!!!

Me to. dds can be hard. But we can get thru this.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Public Service Announcement------

If you have been doing the Atkins plan, and then try JUDDD, do NOT eat a lot of carby stuff on your first UD. Trust me.

Dd today and doing fairly well so far. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and will of course, be an upday. I learned a lesson and will be moderate with carbs tomorrow.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #216
Senior LCF member

Got through my DD--including preparing a meal for my overnight guests! Those of you who have to cook for others on your DDs, I don't know how you do it! I survived--but barely.

Now I'm looking forward to a nice Thanksgiving dinner--and an enjoyable day with family. Ironically, two years ago when JUDDD liberated me from anxiety and stress over holiday eating, I found that I actually eat less and am able to see the holidays are social times with the emphasis on relationships rather than food.

ladyathome- I am very sensitive to carbs (which initially led me to low carb eating), and I could never do JUDDD unless I remained low carb on UDs and DDs. Any high carb eating will usually bring on my enormous appetite.

However, I've been doing JUDDD for 2 years (next month), and I've noticed that it seems to have significantly reduced my sensitivity to carbs. For example, we're planning to eat Thanksgiving dinner today at a very high-end restaurant, and I will enjoy all the food--from the bread basket through dessert. When I did that the last time, I had no reaction to that one high carb meal. I don't choose to eat more carbs normally because I think low carb is the healthiest WOE.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #217
Blabbermouth!!!

Ud today. gonna enjoy it with my family and friends.
Have a happy one. you all
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #218
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
I am going through the exact same thing right now. I feel like a loser and can't seem to get it under control. I think I am going to try not to stress about it this week. I am doing a DD today after several UD's. I seem to blow it on the weekends, and haven't figured out the mentality behind why I do that. I get this desperate feeling, and that NEVER helps. I do best when I am relaxed and in control. I just don't know how to get there right now.
If the weekends are always a trial for you, perhaps those two weekend days should just be relegated to being UDs.. you could do M-W-F DDs and maybe a MD on T or Th.. and then just relax and have fun on the weekends, knowing that you don't have to even think or worry about what your meals must be or whether you can go out to eat with friends, etc.

I haven't checked in for a couple of days, and you guys have really been busy here! I had a couple of pages of posts to catch up on.

I've done fairly well, although skipped a couple of DDs in the rotation, but have continued to maintain my weight... but after today's Thanksgiving Feast, we'll see what the scale has to say in the morning. LOL. I'm thinking that tomorrow needs to be a really good DD!!!

I'm ready to get a start at decorating for Christmas. Especially the tree. We're old now, so find an artificial tree is just right for us these days. We have a big one already wired with 1,500 lights (can you believe that!) so after we get its three sections put together, it's ready to start hanging the ornaments on. And it just is so beautiful to us that DH always hopes I'll want to do it early, so he can enjoy it for quite awhile until it's time to put it away again. If I stay busy with the tree tomorrow, a DD in the face of all the Thanksgiving leftovers might still be possible.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
hi every one.
Hope you enjoyed your family and friends and giving Thanks for all we have .
Im having family coming in and my Grand daughter 2 yeras and Daughter willbe here to. Being a Grandmas is so wonderful.
My weigh in will be Monday {1 week on Judd.
Today going back to eating healthy and watching cals. Going to start back to Curves to and take a Sumba class they have started.2 days aweek.
Just wanted to say hi to my new friends.
janet
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Good morning, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday, just the 5 of us at home. Today is a DD. I'm having some horrible back pain that has been going on for 2 weeks now and am hoping that I can make it through the day without anything stronger than Ibuprofen, but if I can't, I will have to have a shake or something so I don't upset my stomach. I'm looking forward to a good dd. I ate well yesterday but didn't overdo it too much.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
Hi, JUDDDers! I'm back.

I started JUDDD on September 20th and stayed on the plan for 5 1/2 weeks. I lost 8 pounds during the first 3 weeks, and only 1/2 pound thereafter. I followed the plan as written in the book, and I also avoided pro-inflammatory foods (sugar, white flour, artificial sweeteners, unhealthy fats, etc.) because I sometimes have mild arthritis in my hands.

Towards the end of that time, I was struggling with my UDs, overeating, feeling out-of-control, especially in the evenings... I was also experimenting with raising my DD calories to 600, after my success during the first 3 weeks.

Then, 4 weeks ago today, a dear friend of mine died, and I went off JUDDD. I ate anything and everything. I spent a lot of time with his widow, and people brought a lot of food to her house. I kept eating.

Then the long-awaited results of a licensing exam were being released. I felt some anxiety, and I continued eating. I found out a week ago that I passed the exam (hurray!) and so it was time to celebrate. More eating.

The bottom line: After 4 weeks, this morning I got on the scale. I have gained 14.5 pounds.

Where's the emoticon for "I feel appalled and humiliated"? And also "This is not what I want!"

It's scary, actually, to see how fast I was putting on weight.

So I'm back.

DD today. I will fast during the day, drinking lots of tea and water, and have 500 calories of food for dinner.

That's the approach that works best for me. I can fast easily, but once I begin eating I don't want to stop.

Have a good day, everyone.
Cynthia
loves2sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Cynthia, you have more than your fair share of stress, that's for sure. I'm sorry things have been so hard for you. Good for you though for knowing what you want and taking the steps to get back there. I have gained and lost the same 25 pounds so many times I have lost count, so I understand how it happens. Life happens and somehow, we need to learn to not let it derail us. If you find the secret, please be sure and share it!

Glad you're here to go through this with us. DD for me today also. I'm the same as you in that once I start eating, I have a hard time starting so I'm aiming either for a full fast today or a shake this evening (I do better if I stick to liquids on my dd's)

to you and I hope the next several weeks will be much less stressful for you and you'll find that 14.5 pounds melting off!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #223

Cynthia, I'm certain that a good share of that 14+ pounds will end up being water weight, so if you can keep both your up days and your down days to fairly low carb as well as watching the calories, I'll bet much of that disappears very quickly. And that will be a nice incentive to continue with JUDDD to lose the rest too.

I continue to be intrigued with this way of eating, and find it very interesting that we all seem to favor doing our DDs in really different ways and using different foods as well. But I'm enjoying this plan quite a bit.

I was up a bit from yesterday (Thanksgiving) morning.. of course, since I ate reasonable amounts but still somewhat higher in both carbs and calories than I normally eat. But already today I've lost some of that water weight, and have been keeping busy by preparing little 4-ounce zippy bags of turkey meat for the freezer. I'm only saving out a big chunk of breast meat for slicing for a very few turkey sandwiches over the next two days, and all the rest in going into the freezer in those little 4-oz. portions.

Today is a DD for me, certainly, and while my husband had a plateful of the leftovers from yesterday's feast, I had a small salad of mixed greens w/4 oz. of turkey and my low cal Italian dressing. I'm good until later this evening for sure. Having lots of mugs of hot tea. My dear BIL sent me two big boxes of PG Tips tea (from England), so I'm really enjoying it a lot.

Let us all really enjoy this delightful Holiday time from Thanksgiving through the New Year, and enjoy our wonderful foods with special appreciation. AND, do good DDs while holding ourselves reined in a bit on our UDs. Good luck, Everyone!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #224
Senior LCF member

Cynthia-
Sorry you've been through such a rough patch, and I certainly can empathize with the weight gain because I can gain even more and more quickly! It's the fact of my life that keeps me so vigilant. I'm glad you're back because it's best to 'take action' ASAP. Those lbs can add up fast (I write from experience )

Yesterday was a 'monster' eating day for me. I'd planned to have carbs because I do that every month-6 weeks, but I didn't plan to eat constantly all day! My sister and niece arrived on Wednesday evening, and we were going out for Thanksgiving dinner. Normally, I'd eat very lightly and indulge at dinner. But my niece was home from college and longing for good bagels. So I ate with them in the morning and enjoyed my bagels. Then the entire day turned into a calorie and carb fest.

You know how I always say that I can't fast totally because I'll be anxious about food and deprivation? Not today. My body demanded a fast, so I went from black coffee to green tea, and that's it for today! Tomorrow is my normal weigh in day, but I'm going to wait until 1 Dec. to avoid 'scale shock.'
Old 11-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Leisa, thanks for your encouraging words.

SoHappy, thanks for mentioning that some of the weight I've put on is water-weight. I think you're right. I've been seeing puffiness in my face and hands. Water-weight from unhealthy carbs and also from pro-inflammatory food... both of my hands are aching a little today. I feel better in so many ways when I stay on JUDDD.

Good to see you here, Leo, and the empathy is apprecated. I think your vigilance is admirable, and I want to follow in your footsteps.

Resolved:

(1) I will keep my DD calories at 500 or less for the rest of 2010, and maybe longer. That was working so very well for me when I began JUDDD, and it wasn't hard to do.

(2) I will start getting more exercise, more often and more regularly. I'm going to try a NIA class tomorrow morning. I just heard of this kind of workout, and it sounds great. Any of you ever tried it? This Saturday morning class is just a 5-minute walk from my home.

(3) I will keep my UDs moderate by putting some time limits on my eating. I'm not sure precisely how this will work out, but I think it's going to be essential for me if I'm going to succeed with JUDDD for the long-term. So I'll experiment. For tomorrow, I commit to not eating anything after 8 p.m.

It feels good to be fasting today. I had a bit of a headache, so I took a nap, and now it's pretty much gone. I've thought of food quite a few times, but haven't actually felt hungry at all... Now I'm going to go plan my 500 calories for dinner.

Last edited by loves2sing; 11-26-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2sing View Post
It feels good to be fasting today. I had a bit of a headache, so I took a nap, and now it's pretty much gone. I've thought of food quite a few times, but haven't actually felt hungry at all... Now I'm going to go plan my 500 calories for dinner.
I have actually come to the conclusion (for quite a few years now) that a lot of our eating is just purely habit. We actually have a habit of eating, whether we're hungry or not, and that habit directs our thoughts and hands toward food just like a smoker's habit directs his thoughts and hands toward another cigarette, even if the last one has only been smoked 10 minutes ago.

Neither habit is a very good one, right?!!

Enjoy your 500 calorie dinner. For 500 calories, it really can be quite a good one!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

I just made myself 2 eggs poached in salsa. Absolutely delicious!

Got the idea from Dana Carpender's Every Calorie Counts cookbook. She tops the eggs w/ cheese, but I didn't want to spend DD calories that way... Just eggs poached in salsa. It was divine.

And only 170 calories, 140 for the 2 eggs & 30 for 12 T of La Victoria salsa.

I'm so very glad to be back on plan!
Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #228
Senior LCF member

Cynthia-
I've found that one way to keep UDs under control (especially post-supper evening eating which is often pure habit) is to remind myself that I managed to survive on <500 cal on my DD, and I've had far more than that this UD. So it's obvious that I'm not really hungry!

One thing some people reported is that when they're finishing an UD and facing a DD, they begin to panic. It's the opposite of what we do when on a DD and remind ourselves, "I will eat tomorrow." On the evening of an UD, they start thinking, "I can't eat tomorrow" and so they develop 'hunger' for more food. A lot of this is unconscious. That's why I think that if you're tempted to eat too much on an UD, it might be good to remind yourself that you're not really hungry because you've eaten far more than on a DD.

It's tough because psychological hunger feels just as authentic as physical hunger--but it's not. And you can banish it with the right thoughts.

I've discovered that controlling both DDs and UDs is critical to weight loss for me. Since DDs can be tough, I don't want to cancel that effort by overeating on my UD.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

whew! I am feeling better! I was shocked that TOM came this morning and then checked my calendar and it's actually right on schedule. How does it slip up on me like that?! lol! Anyway, the bloating is going away a little already and I am feeling so much more in control of my appetite. I can't believe I had TWO weeks or horrible pms this month. I sure hope that doesn't happen again. I have 4 weeks till we go to Honduras and I'd really like to see 140 by then. I am going to weigh in a few minutes but I think I'm back to around 150. I just want to be comfortable by the trip and 150 is NOT comfortable on my frame! Yesterday was supposed to be a dd, but I ended up going over quite a bit so it was more like a md...not really an ud though. So today will be my regular UD because I know I will be more successful with a dd if I have a good ud before it. I get myself in trouble by starting out a day as a dd, eating nothing all day long and then end up eating over 500 calories and THEN trying to repeat the dd the next....it's too hard....learned my lesson on that one. So a good UD (but not excessive...actually going to low carb this ud) and then a successful dd tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

153!!!!!!!!!!!! the ham....country ham! salt!!!!!!!!!!! wow! some good ole' low carb oughta' take care of that!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
I get myself in trouble by starting out a day as a dd, eating nothing all day long and then end up eating over 500 calories and THEN trying to repeat the dd the next....it's too hard....learned my lesson on that one. So a good UD (but not excessive...actually going to low carb this ud) and then a successful dd tomorrow.

Leisa, I've learned that it really helps me to write down what I will eat on my DD and then consider it a commitment. Then, once I've eaten all of the food, I know I'm done eating.

This way I don't have to decide if I'll eat more or not, in the moment. That's a tricky decision for me; once I start to eat I have the urge to continue, to eat and eat and not stop until I go to bed.

But when I commit to my food in advance, it really helps me to stop once I'm done.

Yesterday was my first DD after about a month off-program. I had a headache for part of the day. I took a nap and felt better. I never got hungry - I've messed up my digestive system so badly over so many years of overeating that I almost never feel hunger - but I had many thoughts of eating. I just told myself that I was waiting until 6 for dinnertime.

Then, shortly after 6, I began to fix the things I had committed to eat. When I finished, I did have the urge to eat some more, but I reminded myself that I'd done so well on my DD all day, and I didn't want to blow it now.

So writing down what I will eat for my DD meal helps me a lot.

We used to have a second thread where people posted their DD menus, but it seems to have died out - and it morphed into a second general discussion thread, so we probably don't need it... But you should feel free to post your DD menus here, if that would be helpful.

I liked seeing what other people were eating on DDs. It gave me some good ideas.

Hope today goes well for you, & for everyone,
Cynthia
Old 11-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Down 3 pounds this morning, after my first DD in a month.

It's water-weight, of course, but I'm still very glad to see it.

I'm not going to be able to take that NIA class today. I forgot that I have an appointment. But I will try NIA later this week. And I commit to taking a long walk sometime today, walking for at least an hour - or, if it's raining, I'll ride my exercise bike instead.

I started off this UD with a high-protein breakfast of leftovers from Thanksgiving: turkey & prime rib & asparagus roasted in olive oil. Yummy!

My plan for today is to avoid sugar, grains, and bad fats completely, and to stay away from artificial sweeteners except for one 16 oz bottle of diet Coke. I'll have a big salad with roasted pork for lunch later today, and then my son's fiance is fixing dinner tonight. I will not eat anything after 8 p.m.

It feels so good to be back on track!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey JUDDDers!!

Glad to see everyone doing well, and I hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving!

I talked about this sometime back, that I was thinking of doing HCG. I ordered the drops, but then chickened out. After alot of research, my doctors blessings, and desperation I have decided to do a round of HCG. I want to get things under control, and I am hoping this will help. I am in control during the week, but the weekends are crazy! I have not been able to get a handle on it. So, I did my load days Thanksgiving and yesterday and today begins the low calorie days. Once I get to goal and get things under control JUDDD will be my maintenance plan.

I will check in from time to time to see how everyone is doing

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #234
Senior LCF member

I wish you well, Michelle. We all have to do what we think will work for us, and as each of us is unique, there are many differences. I know how you struggle, and I know that since you have so little to lose, this will work for you.

Leisa & Cynthia-
I would never be able to do a DD if I just 'counted' as the day progressed. I've planned my DD food the previous day ever since I started JUDDD. This way I'm sure the food is there and that I know exactly what to eat and don't have to even think about it on my DD. I'm more liberal on an UD, but I always have the same breakfast and plan the rest of the day at that time. Sometimes I'll swap something later in the day, but it's always equivalent calories--e.g., I don't have ice cream instead of a cup of tea

I've found that if I just eat freely and count as I go along, I'll be at my calorie limit by 10 am
Old 11-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I wish you well, Michelle. We all have to do what we think will work for us, and as each of us is unique, there are many differences. I know how you struggle, and I know that since you have so little to lose, this will work for you.

Leisa & Cynthia-
I would never be able to do a DD if I just 'counted' as the day progressed. I've planned my DD food the previous day ever since I started JUDDD. This way I'm sure the food is there and that I know exactly what to eat and don't have to even think about it on my DD. I'm more liberal on an UD, but I always have the same breakfast and plan the rest of the day at that time. Sometimes I'll swap something later in the day, but it's always equivalent calories--e.g., I don't have ice cream instead of a cup of tea

I've found that if I just eat freely and count as I go along, I'll be at my calorie limit by 10 am
oh, I plan, yep, I PLAN with the best of 'em, I just don't stick to it! :blush: haha! I ended up not eating today, nothing so far at all. I am going to have 300 calories of something before the evening is up, but today was just too easy so I went with it. With my hormones wreacking havoc with my appetite, I have thought before that I should really take advantage of the times when it's easy for me to fast and just run with it. It still means I need to use some extreme self control during the hormonal times, but I think I could even out and have an easier time losing and then maintaining if I work with my hormones instead of just trying to do the same thing all the time. Since most days (even when hormonal) I find it fairly easy to not eat until at least noon, I'm going to try to use that to my advantage also.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Ending my day at 315 calories! I needed this SO bad! headed to bed soon. Goodnight all!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Glad you're feeling good about your DD, Leisa. Good for you!

I walked for an hour in the late morning today; got rained on during the last 10 minutes or so, but it felt good, the cool rain on my warm face.

That bottle of diet coke is 20 oz., not 16 - to correct a tiny detail in what I posted this morning... I used to drink a lot of diet coke, but I'm wary of the aspartame and phosphorus, so I am having it only a couple of times a week, and only one small bottle.

I had 3 meals and a healthy snack today, and I haven't eaten since dinnertime. Feels great to have followed my plan for this UD. I ate moderately and I ate very healthy foods.

In the future, I might want to plan to have a healthy snack in the evening on UDs.

For today, it feels very important to keep to my plan. We finished dinner at about 7:45, and I had committed to not eating after 8, so I didn't have a nighttime snack. Since I don't eat until dinnertime on DDs, this gives me about 22 hours fasting... I'll see how it goes. I might decide to have an earlier-than-usual dinner tomorrow, though still limited to 500 calories.

Now I'm going to drink my last cup of tea (roobios with ginger and peach) and go to bed.

Goodnight, all!
Cynthia
Old 11-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #238
Senior LCF member

Leisa- You call it going along with your hormones, and I call it 'listening to my body,' but it may be the same thing. When I first felt very hungry early on DDs, I was afraid to eat because I thought that I'd never get through the day. But I found that if I ate when my body wanted to, I just wasn't hungry the rest of my DD, and I've been doing that ever since. I don't always eat most of my calories by noon, but when my body seems to want that food, I do it, and still have no trouble with hunger later on. I think it's wise not to fight your body with this.

Cynthia- What you're doing should work really well because I've read that the longer the fasting time, the better off you are. If you can do 22 hours (or even 18) that should be great.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2sing View Post
We used to have a second thread where people posted their DD menus, but it seems to have died out - and it morphed into a second general discussion thread, so we probably don't need it... But you should feel free to post your DD menus here, if that would be helpful.

I liked seeing what other people were eating on DDs. It gave me some good ideas.
I liked that thread too, and it disappeared this month. I only remember seeing the October one..

And I agree with you about seeing it all written out being a great thing. I think it helps keep some of us on track and committed to the menu and calories we design for our day, and by seeing how others manage their DDs, it shows us other possibilities, and gives ideas that might be fun to try too, and gives us a bit more variety.

Let's start posting our DDs here. At least we two. LOL I'll look forward to seeing what your choices are. Now, off to plan for this Sunday DD. And start with a cup of lovely hot tea.

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-28-2010 at 06:09 AM..
Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I meant to say also, that I enjoy reading others dd menus even though a lot of the time I have to stick to liquids on dd's. I'll start...yesterday I had nothing until last night. I had 2 eggs, fried on my griddle with no oil or butter, and about a half a can of green beans. 175 calories, then later I had a 140 calorie granola bar with a cup of black coffee, which brought my total for the day to 315 calories. I did go to bed early but that seems to be what I always do on dd's...I've heard others mention doing that too.

Today is an UD. So far, just sipping some hot coffee with some cream in it because I am FREEZING Getting ready to go to church but not looking forward to the cold outside if I'm this cold inside! I am not a cold weather person!

Enjoy your day today!