Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Has anyone switched to JUDDD from doing the Atkins plan? I have gained a little weight back and am wondering if JUDDD will help "shake things up" for me. I only want to lose about five pounds and then see if this plan might be good for maintaining the loss.

I love Atkins, but I think my body might respond well to something different. I started today as a dd so that Thanksgiving can be an ud. So far, so good.

I am not using shakes, but am eating real foods and checking labels for serving sizes. I measure food and record it on a piece of paper.

According to the site, my dd's should only be three hundred and something calories. I need to go check for the exact amount.

I figured it's worth a try for a couple of weeks. Thanks.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #182
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Ladyathome, I agree it is worth a try. An as far as maintaining I think it is a great plan
As for me I am losing slowly. I have not gained anything in over a month.

I do not use coconut oil either. But on Juddd if it works for you. why not.
I do like coconut milk in my coffee on uds.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
Leo and dasiey, thanks so much for your replies!!

I'm thinking that I could use up some of my medifast shakes on DDs - they're super for portion control and have tons of vitamins. Am I to understand that the first 2 weeks are DDs of 500 cals. or less? Or should it be 500 even.

I used the calculator and it looks like for me UD 2172/ DD 434.

I probably won't be starting until the new year. Last time I transitioned off MF to Atkins (in July) I added foods too rapidly, and created a gain of 15lbs. I'm hoping JUDDD will help me transition more gracefully and not have that backlash.

<<<avi taken a few weeks before my 50th birthday at 165lbs!!
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #184
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
goddesslynne-
I began with the same DD number, but I wanted to warn you about the UD number. Even Dr. J admits that's a 'fiction.' It's a guess of how many calories people need (like all those calculators), and for me, it was MUCH too high. I began JUDDD because I need to seriously restrict calories (post-menopausal and hypothyroid), and it's easier to do with JUDDD because I get days when I can actually eat You can make your UDs anything you want--consider the recommendation is actually an upper limit rather than a number you want to achieve. The critical number to always follow is the DDs.

ladyathome- When I came to JUDDD I had been eating low carb for a couple of years (and had lost 90lbs). It was't actually "Atkins" because I don't do 'plans' well. I had read his book many, many years ago, along with Protein Power, which, to me, gives a better description of the science behind low carb. So I was just following a 'generic' low carb plan, limiting myself to 20-30g a day. I still do that, although often my carbs are even lower.

I never did the shakes because 1) my body craves real food--liquids never satisfy me; 2) I had to give up artificial sweeteners, along with sugar, because my body seems to react to both the same way. So I've always eaten real foods. However, keep in mind that the reason Dr. J recommends shakes is that research shows that most people overestimate their calories, and especially the first two weeks, it's critical to be <500cal on DDs. On my DDs, I never eat anything unless I'm absolutely sure of the calorie count.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Thanks daisey and leo41.

I am going to give it a week or two and see how it goes. I am just now starting to feel hungry.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
I am SUCH a LOSER! not in a good way either. I seriously don't know why I sabatoge myself EVERY single time I start losing weight! I can NOT get back on track and have a DD. Can't do it and I don't know why. Yesterday I had a bunch of stress that was really not even my own stress. It was my husbands, but I always take on HIS stress and make it my own. I was angry and just had this stupid "I'll show 'em, I'll just EAT" attitude which is really stupid in hindsight.

Just irritated at myself and really hoping this just resolves itself and I suddenly get my wits about me again SOON!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
hi every one.
Today is my first day of doing Judd. Today is dd.Im doing 500 or Less.I had soup that was 160 cals for whole can. Maybe another for 100 cals a can and hope that keeps me at a low dd. number for today.
Im also taking Resveratrol..
Drinking lots of plain ice tea..Water and 1-2 diet pop.
Being with u all will, really help me while doing this.Thanks.
Now the hard part is to Only weigh 1-2 days a week.
I also write down what I eat and know my calaries.
Kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

lbishop-You are not a loser. You ate off plan and you are able to get back on plan and learn from it and do better. We all know that weight loss and maintenance are challenges and I think we all make mistakes. I know I have. In fact , I am trying JUDDD now to try to stop the gradual weight gain I am dealing with.

kind-Today is my first day too. I am just reading labels and writing down what I eat. Since I have been doing Atkins for two years, I am used to reading lables. The funny thing is, my eyes go immediately to the carb count and I have to search the label for the calorie count. I am not used to counting calories.

This hunger is rough, BTW.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyathome View Post
lbishop-You are not a loser. You ate off plan and you are able to get back on plan and learn from it and do better. We all know that weight loss and maintenance are challenges and I think we all make mistakes. I know I have. In fact , I am trying JUDDD now to try to stop the gradual weight gain I am dealing with.

kind-Today is my first day too. I am just reading labels and writing down what I eat. Since I have been doing Atkins for two years, I am used to reading lables. The funny thing is, my eyes go immediately to the carb count and I have to search the label for the calorie count. I am not used to counting calories.

This hunger is rough, BTW.
thanks for the encouragement ladyathome. I am just finding it impossible to get back on plan and it's very discouraging. I'm back to my starting weight..but still bloated also so I guess all is not back on, but will be very soon if I don't find a way to pull it together. I need to spend some time today reading and re-motivating myself for this because physically, it's just going to be hard, obviously!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Lady.
You will do just fine. First week is always the hardest. Come here and post as much as you like. It helps.
Im not into carbs{ counting} as Im in calaries .To me your good carbs are fruits and vegs and gains { Brown. and fats like> Nuts { limit.} Meats4oz.aserving like chicken ,fish ,Veg. burgars. turkery breast.ect.
An other great book to read is Eat to live.and of course Judd.
When u really want to eat just dont head for the bad carbs andbad foods. eat something that is good for you. There are alot of low carb low calarie recipes out there.
andanother thing Exericeing is the other key to healthy life. as each year passes we allneed lower calaries .
Find something that works for you and remember we all fall. so get up next day and make rest of week good.and when we eat something bad or more food then we need just dont make bad eating for rest of day.
we all can. so grab a hand and lets go.
lets see what we all can do before a new year.
Kind
Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TigerLily1
Stats: 145/137.8/125
WOE: General LC
Start Date: Dec2008
Hi All, I’d like to join you doing the JUDD, I did a few weeks of JUDD some months ago, and was really happy with it. I have successfully lost weight on various diets before, been LCing, vlcing for many years now, but I would want to give the JUDD a serious try.

So today I had an UD, and will have my first DD tomorrow.
Are there any tips? Should I postpone my food as much as possible? Last time I did this I relied on low calorie cup of soups and boiled eggs, that did work quite well. But do you recommend I start the DD gradually, i.e. my first DD I should aim for a higher calories than usual then the next DD I go for lower unti I am used to it?
TigerLily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #192
Senior LCF member

Leisa- If you're struggling, don't force it. I find the absolutely worst time for a DD is when I feel that I can't do it and don't really want to. Since this is a holiday week, why don't you take a break and tell yourself, "I'm going to eat moderately and enjoy my food and relax. Then go back to a DD when it feels right--when you feel that your body is asking for one.

Last Christmas (it was a on a Friday), and I was visiting my sister from Thurs. to Sunday. I didn't think I could have a DD at someone else's home--and with the holidays, so I decided just to wait until I got home. However, the day after Christmas (Saturday), when I woke up, it was like my body was "demanding" a DD--so I told my sister (she knows about JUDDD), and she said, 'Well, then don't eat all day so you can have dinner with us."

As you know, that's not how I do DDs, but I really didn't have any hunger, and I had just about 350 cal at dinner, even though everyone else was eating holiday goodies--I just had no desire for anything else.

Sorry this is so long, but my point is that it might be best to wait until your body is ready for the next DD--and relax.

ladyathome-
One thing that's recommended for DD hunger is to say to yourself, "I'll eat in the morning," (you can even put a specific food in that sentence if it's something you're craving). Amazingly, it usually banishes hunger. I've been convinced that 90% of weight loss is mental, and that's been my experience with JUDDD.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Leisa- If you're struggling, don't force it. I find the absolutely worst time for a DD is when I feel that I can't do it and don't really want to. Since this is a holiday week, why don't you take a break and tell yourself, "I'm going to eat moderately and enjoy my food and relax. Then go back to a DD when it feels right--when you feel that your body is asking for one.

Last Christmas (it was a on a Friday), and I was visiting my sister from Thurs. to Sunday. I didn't think I could have a DD at someone else's home--and with the holidays, so I decided just to wait until I got home. However, the day after Christmas (Saturday), when I woke up, it was like my body was "demanding" a DD--so I told my sister (she knows about JUDDD), and she said, 'Well, then don't eat all day so you can have dinner with us."

As you know, that's not how I do DDs, but I really didn't have any hunger, and I had just about 350 cal at dinner, even though everyone else was eating holiday goodies--I just had no desire for anything else.

Sorry this is so long, but my point is that it might be best to wait until your body is ready for the next DD--and relax.

ladyathome-
One thing that's recommended for DD hunger is to say to yourself, "I'll eat in the morning," (you can even put a specific food in that sentence if it's something you're craving). Amazingly, it usually banishes hunger. I've been convinced that 90% of weight loss is mental, and that's been my experience with JUDDD.
Leo, you know, you are right. I know that in the grand scheme of things, this one week will not make or break me. Truth is, what my body has been doing is not wanting anything for the first 4 hours or so after I get up, but then I can't seem to hold to a dd after that for the past few days. In fact, what I've been doing is more of a fast 5 thing but eating during an earlier 5 hours than the normal 5 to 10pm. Today, I ate from about 12:00 till about 4 and have not had any hunger since. If I can hold back on snacks tonight, it won't be a bad day. We're going to watch The Passion of the Christ with our teen daughter tonight. That should pretty much take care of an appetite.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone.

I feel a lot better now since I had my dinner. Here is the list of what I have eaten today.

B-2 cups coffee w/equal and 2tbsp each of half n half -70 cals
1 Cup of strawberries- 50 cals

L-1 carrot 35 cals
1 slice light wheat bread 40 cals
1 tblsp sf jelly 10 cals
1 cup chicken broth 5cals

afternoon snack another cup broth 5 cals

D-grilled cheese made with 2 sl light wheat bread and one slice of cheese-120 cals

1/4 cup mixed berries 20 cals

If my calculations are right, that comes to 360 cals

I think I will be fine until bedtime and am thinking ahead to my first UD. I will try to eat healthy food and not junky stuff.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyathome View Post
Thanks everyone.

I feel a lot better now since I had my dinner. Here is the list of what I have eaten today.

B-2 cups coffee w/equal and 2tbsp each of half n half -70 cals
1 Cup of strawberries- 50 cals

L-1 carrot 35 cals
1 slice light wheat bread 40 cals
1 tblsp sf jelly 10 cals
1 cup chicken broth 5cals

afternoon snack another cup broth 5 cals

D-grilled cheese made with 2 sl light wheat bread and one slice of cheese-120 cals

1/4 cup mixed berries 20 cals

If my calculations are right, that comes to 360 cals

I think I will be fine until bedtime and am thinking ahead to my first UD. I will try to eat healthy food and not junky stuff.
Looks like you did a great job, lady! I'm always amazed at how creative you all are on your dd. I tend to feel that I have to be way dull....it keeps me from thinking so much about food.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Lady. you did great on your first dd.
For my dd was
*Soup, whole can*.160 cals.
*Dinner. 2[ 4oz],each home made turkery burgars at* 110 cals each.* 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese 90cals
470cals. done for today..
Ps.
You know I was thinking while reading Judd book.He wants you to go as low as you feel on can on dd with calaries..how about a true fast every so often on your dd?? does he say any thing about that /
Just wondering.
kind
Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
Yes Lady. you did great on your first dd.
For my dd was
*Soup, whole can*.160 cals.
*Dinner. 2[ 4oz],each home made turkery burgars at* 110 cals each.* 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese 90cals
470cals. done for today..
Ps.
You know I was thinking while reading Judd book.He wants you to go as low as you feel on can on dd with calaries..how about a true fast every so often on your dd?? does he say any thing about that /
Just wondering.
kind
Kind, this is just what I always think would work better for me. That's why when I was on JUDDD a year ago, I only used shakes or broth on my dd's...it was just easier for me to have NO food. Fasting is generally not a hard thing for me to do. It's the eating that does me in. I think that is partly what's tripping me up this time...too much thinking about food on dd's. I fasted for 9 days a few months ago and it was not hard. One day should be easy! Like I said, it's the eating on a dd that causes me trouble.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Leisa.
Fasting is easy for me also. first 2 days are hard but the 3 day I feel great.
I also like to fresh juice fast at times. I have not fasted for couple years now but was thinking of doing couple of dd.{Fast but I like to have a buddy to report too. But do dd 500 cals and then Dec1st might try fasting for couple weeks.Just thinking.
kind
Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #199
Senior LCF member

I think on DDs everyone should feel free to do whatever they feel is wise for them from 0 cal to 500. Yes, Dr. J says that the 'ideal' would be a total fast, and the reason he allows 500 (or whatever your calculator number is) is that most people could not handle a total fast on alternate days if you consider this a WOE rather than a 'diet.' He insists that the science supports his assertion that <500 cal provides the same benefits (healthwise) as a total fast.

A while back, we had a group of people on this thread who kept pushing for total fasts on DDs, and they all disappeared after a while. Given our normal lives, I think they may have had an 'all-or-nothing' mentality, and once they couldn't fast, they couldn't do JUDDD (that's a guess; I don't really know).

Personally, I know that I get anxious if I think I can't eat at all {sorry, but a lifetime of morbid obesity has left me with serious food issues}. However, twice (in 2 years) I've totally fasted on my DDs, simply because that's what my body seemed to want. But I would never plan to fast totally on all my DDs because, knowing myself, I would create too much anxiety and stress--and that would lead to overeating. In my weight-loss journey, I've come to believe that knowing oneself is far more important than what anyone else is doing.

However, some of you may enjoy fasting, and that would work, too. You could even just fast on one or two of your weekly DDs.

I think the important thing for JUDDD-ers (from being here for 2 years) is to avoid ED thinking--i.e., "If low calorie DDs are good, perhaps I'll lose faster if I eat nothing at all." From my perspective, that's the road to off plan and eventual overeating.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #200
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, It's nice to see all the info on what others have and are doing. As far as fasting I have had one fasting day sence returning to Juddd. I might be able to do this every now and then. But you would not be able to count on me.

I had a successful dd yesterday. Todays ud will be as well I hope. Starting my day with coffee and a splash of almond breeze in it. very good and warm. Its chilly yoday.

All of your menus look good.

Leisa I agree with Leo. You will get it right when your bodys ready.
And you are not a loser. if you are then we all are. I have tried several times and felled. This is my fourth attempt at juddd in the last year. And I don't want to talk about all the other diets I've tried and felled at.
SO HANG IN THERE.......

23 pounds gone forever
162/139/135
Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
Thank you Leo, I get what you're saying about the UD calculation being an "upper limit". Part of my learning process is eating "to satisfaction" without needing to stuff myself. I still have trouble with that one...
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Survived the first dd yesterday. Today is my first ud. So far , so good. I don't feel like going crazy with food. I had oatmeal with milk and raisins for breakfast and two cups of coffee. Lunch I am not sure, but I am getting hungry, so I'd better decide.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #203
Blabbermouth!!!

I had what I call brunch. I had to egg wraps that I made.
very good. now I will wait until I get hungry.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

I'm calling today an UD even though yesterday wasn't technically a DD. I woke up far less bloated suddenly this morning and feeling like cutting out some carbs. I had a very late breakfast of two eggs (3 yokes...a double yoker) with cheese and sour cream. I'm going to try to cut out some carbs at least for now as it feels like what my body is wanting to do. I know I'll feel better. I agree with Leo that when we start trying to make all or nothing rules for ourselves, that's when we usually fail, so I'm going to avoid hard and fast rules but have certain boundaries that I aim to stay within. When I did this before, I lost all my unwanted weight and then just got lazy about my dd's. I really don't want to do that this time!

Lots of other stuff on my plate this week so hopefully food will be a non-issue.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #205
Senior LCF member

Yes, Leisa, I realized in my 'try' at maintaining that was saved me was keeping my DDs low because my UDs went out of control. I think the key to maintaining on JUDDD is to find the balance and stick to it. But I'm not raising my DD calories until I'm sure that I have those UDs under control because gaining is not an option!

I think I still need JUDDD for maintenance because I won't be able to eat much more calories than I do now, and that would be tough on a daily basis. I'd rather have the opportunity for some 'treats' on UDs than be constantly careful.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Yes, Leisa, I realized in my 'try' at maintaining that was saved me was keeping my DDs low because my UDs went out of control. I think the key to maintaining on JUDDD is to find the balance and stick to it. But I'm not raising my DD calories until I'm sure that I have those UDs under control because gaining is not an option!

I think I still need JUDDD for maintenance because I won't be able to eat much more calories than I do now, and that would be tough on a daily basis. I'd rather have the opportunity for some 'treats' on UDs than be constantly careful.
Yes, Leo, that is exactly what I have been thinking. I don't like the idea of upping my dd calories so much for maintenance but would rather enjoy my ud's a little more and keep dd's lower.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Hi. Got to thinking. Im not fasting.Im on a good road. in last 6 weeks or so I lost 16lbs.so keeping it going. eat less and watch what u eat. calaries. what each day brings so long as healthy.The biggest key and fall is not weighing{scale every few mins.ha/ 1 -2 days aweek should keep me going.hope you all are doing well.
kind
today ud.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey JUDDDers!!!

Leisa I am going through the exact same thing right now. I feel like a loser and can't seem to get it under control. I think I am going to try not to stress about it this week. I am doing a DD today after several UD's. I seem to blow it on the weekends, and haven't figured out the mentality behind why I do that. I get this desperate feeling, and that NEVER helps. I do best when I am relaxed and in control. I just don't know how to get there right now.

Leo - c Congrats on your loss! I know you will get those UD's figured out.

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #209
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
Hi. Got to thinking. Im not fasting.Im on a good road. in last 6 weeks or so I lost 16lbs.so keeping it going. eat less and watch what u eat. calaries. what each day brings so long as healthy.The biggest key and fall is not weighing{scale every few mins.ha/ 1 -2 days aweek should keep me going.hope you all are doing well.
kind
today ud.
Congrats on the weight loss. You have good attitude...
Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

I made a pot of chillie made with purdue white turkery breast.
3 cans kidney beans, onions, 2 home can tomatoes.
I had soup cup
{holds 2 serving of soup.
I dont know the calaries so I guessed at 600 cals.} Just to be on the safe side.{ Hope.
Today for lunch was soup and 2 rice cakes at 160 cals.
So tonight if I need Ill have couple fruits.
Im not eating just to eat but trying to eat when Im hurgery.
Im so full right now I can not wait for dd Wed.
Think I did well today. on ud.
Im so surprise that I ate the chillie for I didnt really know cals. count but hey was good and by Monday on my first week weigh in should be fine.
kind