Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I think it is very interesting to hear what you all choose to eat on your DDs. For myself, a little fat isn't filling at all, and actually stimulates me to want a whole lot more. One tablespoon of peanut butter or cheese is like *just one potato chip* or whatever that ad was. LOL I never could seem to get filled up on a reasonable amount of fat, and instead would feast on it until I'd swallowed about 2,000 calories of it! (Unhappily, that actually true. :blush

For my DDs, I have to weigh out mountains of veggies, the low calorie/carb ones mostly, and have them with a bit of fat and some protein. A HUGE salad with my 35 cal dressing or a HUGE stir fry is what gets me through my DDs happily and quite satisfied, and under 500 calories.

So far, I've been able to maintain effortlessly, fluctuating within about a 3-pound range, despite some pretty calorie-laden UDs!!! If I cut my UDs down some, I expect I might actually lose some additional weight as well. I might think about that some more one of these days. In the meantime, why didn't I think of this way of eating myself, years ago?
I have not lost much But I have not gained any at all. I wish I new about this when I weighed 105 lbs. of course that was more then 13 years ago.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Boy, I am miserable I'm bloated unbelievably! hormones are going crazy...perimenopause, I suppose (I turn 48 Saturday) I'm up 6 pounds in two days! I truly feel miserable! heartburn included!

Going to try to hang in there and have a dd tomorrow, but when my hormones are like this it is SO hard to stay on plan. Any suggestions anyone? I have almonds and I have whey protein. Going to and try to hold on.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:46 AM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

Leisa Do you use 500 calories. or are you lower then that? Today is dd for me today. I am sure I will have 500 or a little less.

I use eggbeaters 30 cals. 1/4 of cup. With light bread 35 cals. 1 slice. I put zero cal.butter spray on that. I eat light soups, fat free cheese, natural apple sauce, light yogerts. And almond breeze milk. They have a sugar free one 35 cals. for 8ozs.

I also eat the hebrew 97% fat free hot dogs. 40 cals. each. and sf jello.

I hope today goes well for me to. I woke up hungry.

23 pounds gone forever
162/139/135
Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #154
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Good Morning, Everybody. It has been so nice to read the posts of long time JUDDers and see some posts from people I haven't 'met' until now.

It looks like most of you do 500 calories or less for your DDs, but there is really a variance in what we choose for those calories, isn't there! I know one thing I'm going to hunt up, if we have it in our area, and it's that Almond Breeze milk at 35 calories per cup! That might be a help for me too, in some way. I know I'll have to stick with my mounds of veggies too though.

I agree with the point that the DDs are so much easier to get through when the day is busy, busy, busy.. and not time to hardly even think of taking time out to eat. I also agree that the hardest time is the later evening hours, which has always been *snack time* for me.

And all this food talk is about to propel me into the kitchen to prepare today's DD foods. Have a wonderful day, Everybody! And great success to us all.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #155
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Leisa-
I'm not understanding your hormone issue--are they making you hungry so that you're eating more? That used to be a problem for me way back when I experienced TOM (fortunately long gone). The day before, I was hungry enough to eat everything in the house and still not be satisfied! Hormonal shifts can do that to you. If it's just a matter of retaining water (hormones do that too), all you can do is wait it out--sigh!

dasiey- My most difficult DDs are when I wake up hungry! Fortunately, that doesn't happen too often, but it happened to me today. In the past, I've been able to 'white knuckle' it through, and I have my fingers crossed that I can do that today.

SoHappy- Do you prepare your DD foods on the morning of the DD? What I've found helpful is to not do much at all with food on DDs. If anything needs prep, I do it the evening of the preceding UD. This way, I don't have to deal with good much on my DD.

I, too, used to be an evening snacker--and JUDDD cured me of that, mainly because I'm very stubborn. Early on, I would get the urge to eat in the evening on a DD, but having made it through the day within my calorie limit, I absolutely refused to ruin all that with any more food at night.

Now I hardly ever think about eating past 6 pm. If I have anything in the evening, it's on a UD when I've been below my personal calorie level (infrequently).
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Good Morning, Everybody. It has been so nice to read the posts of long time JUDDers and see some posts from people I haven't 'met' until now.

It looks like most of you do 500 calories or less for your DDs, but there is really a variance in what we choose for those calories, isn't there! I know one thing I'm going to hunt up, if we have it in our area, and it's that Almond Breeze milk at 35 calories per cup! That might be a help for me too, in some way. I know I'll have to stick with my mounds of veggies too though.

I agree with the point that the DDs are so much easier to get through when the day is busy, busy, busy.. and not time to hardly even think of taking time out to eat. I also agree that the hardest time is the later evening hours, which has always been *snack time* for me.

And all this food talk is about to propel me into the kitchen to prepare today's DD foods. Have a wonderful day, Everybody! And great success to us all.
I find my almond breeze at krogers. Look for it in the area were you might find organic or soy products. I buy it by the 1/2 gal. size. Its very good.
My son in law can not have milk products. so my daughter makes sausage gravy with it very good. On an up day...
Old 11-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, yes, the hormones make me hungrier and then the added water weight which is almost worse because I feel like all the hard work is not paying off, even though I know I should just remember it's water weight and just push through. I need a good successful dd today. I ended up going over a bit on Wednesday. It's really important for me to not do that today!

Dasiey, I find the almond breeze in almost all grocery stores around here. Ingles and Food Lion both have it.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #158
Blabbermouth!!!

Leisa, I notice we are the same age. I have not started having those hormone issues yet but I am sure its around the corner.
I wish for an easy dd for all of us that having a dd.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #159
Senior LCF member

Leisa- I never found any solution to that hormonal hunger! When I tried to eat to get satisfied, I imbibed thousands of calories and was never satisfied. So I tried to remind myself that eating wasn't a solution--but that hunger is so very awful, I always ate more than I should at those times--I do empathize.

I wonder whether some of my 'difficult' DDs are just due to hormonal shifts that I'm hardly aware of otherwise. I know that there's no actual reason for me to be hungrier on some of those days.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

I find I am hunger in the morning of a dd if I have sweets at night or if I don't eat enough. Yesterday I was so busy I did not eat enough. But I just know I will make it thru today. I am going out for breakfast with friends in the morning so I have to make it.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
SoHappy- Do you prepare your DD foods on the morning of the DD? What I've found helpful is to not do much at all with food on DDs. If anything needs prep, I do it the evening of the preceding UD. This way, I don't have to deal with good much on my DD.
I do take care of my DD food preparation on the morning of that very Down Day. Somehow, I guess from all the handling and preparing of the food for the day, it seems to be satisfying in some way.. seeming to take away any morning appetite I have for the time being. Then it's pretty easy to wait until my first meal of the day.. very late morning, just before noon or so.

I've started dividing my HUGE salad into three containers. I have the first one for lunch, then the second one later in the afternoon, and save one for the late evening hours. Often I'm not hungry then after my large veggie stir fry supper, but if I get the 'munchies', I'll have that emergency salad to go to.

I've decided to start my Thanksgiving Day dinner ahead of time. I think I'm going to prepare whatever I can ahead of time, and then have a 'heat & serve' meal that day. That way I'll be able to relax and visit. I'm hoping my sister can come, and DH's daughter and her SO. I'm going to make a sugar -free pecan pie for her.. her favorite.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #162
Senior LCF member

SoHappy-

Just another example of how different we all are. If I worked on my food for the day on the morning of the DD, I'd eat it all before I'd finished working on it!

The last time I cooked Thanksgiving dinner, I did what you're planning. Almost all the sides I make not only can be re-heated, but they taste better that way (just like the T leftovers always taste better). All I did on Thanksgiving morning was put the turkey in the oven. It was really relaxing to cook that way.

This has been a 'hungry' DD, but it's almost 2:30 pm here, so I'm confident that I'll make it. I have homemade soup in the fridge for my final 100 cal.
What I find that I do on JUDDD is draw on my 'history.' For example, if I'm tempted to eat more on a DD, I'll remind myself that I've done fine in the past on 400 cal, so today should be no exception. And then I'm fine! Truly, 90% of this weight loss thing is mental.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Fresh green smoothies with the Vitamix.and1,200cal
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi every one.
Looks like you all are doing well with Judd.
Im starting back Monday and been reading the Judd book.
I find for me I must write down what I eat and the calarie s.
I think I willstay around 500 or less on down days and 1200 cals on up days.
I seem to like silk light{ Soy the best.
I also mearsure my meats too. no more then 4 oz. I eat alot of grilled chicken breast. soy bugars and ground all white meat ground turkery.
Just putting my 2 cents in ha.
Keep up the good work and it really is more then losing the lbs.Isnt it.
Kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

hey Kind FYI 1200 calories isn't very much. I do 2000. and its working pretty good.
I know we all are different. But I wanted to add my 2 cents worth.
If I don't get enough calories in my dds are very hard. some days I don't
count cals. at all. Will Monday be a dd for you then?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Hi. I know 1200 isnt much. But for me To not gain I still have to stay around 1200 -1500.
Somedays on up i know i will be higher then 1200{.If I need You got to rember that Im older{60 and Im small bone and 4 ft.11.
Also when I eat more vegs and fruits you can have alot for few cals. I also have Egg beATERS AND U CAN HAVE 3 1/4 CUPS FOR 90 CALS.AND THAT IS ALOT.
i WOULD LIKE TO FIND A GOOD LOW FAT CHEESE SLICES. AND HAVE EGGS WITH CHESSE ON A LOW CARB WRAP.
Kind
Old 11-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

yES.DD mONDAY.
jANET
Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
Hi. I know 1200 isnt much. But for me To not gain I still have to stay around 1200 -1500.
Somedays on up i know i will be higher then 1200{.If I need You got to rember that Im older{60 and Im small bone and 4 ft.11.
Also when I eat more vegs and fruits you can have alot for few cals. I also have Egg beATERS AND U CAN HAVE 3 1/4 CUPS FOR 90 CALS.AND THAT IS ALOT.
i WOULD LIKE TO FIND A GOOD LOW FAT CHEESE SLICES. AND HAVE EGGS WITH CHESSE ON A LOW CARB WRAP.
Kind
Well I get my FF cheese at walmart. Its not to bad. Like back in the day
I use egg beaters to. I guess I was just trying to say. Just give it a try.
I did and I found out it works. Are you still exercising?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #168
Senior LCF member

Weekly Weigh In-
Down a half pound to 162.5, and that's good, but I'm not happy with my JUDDD week. I intended to go back to my regular weight loss mode and then after a couple of weeks, add DD calories to a comfortable level for maintenance.

But I just had too many high calorie UDs. The DDs 'saved me,' but I need to get those UDs under control. A holiday week isn't a good time for this, but I plan to give it a try with all my UDs (except for Thursday).

I don't want to maintain with very low DDs because 1) that's not how the plan is supposed to work; 2) I don't like the idea of using DDs to 'save' me from UD excess--I want to do JUDDD maintenance right with moderate DDs and UDs.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Weekly Weigh In-
Down a half pound to 162.5, and that's good, but I'm not happy with my JUDDD week. I intended to go back to my regular weight loss mode and then after a couple of weeks, add DD calories to a comfortable level for maintenance.

But I just had too many high calorie UDs. The DDs 'saved me,' but I need to get those UDs under control. A holiday week isn't a good time for this, but I plan to give it a try with all my UDs (except for Thursday).

I don't want to maintain with very low DDs because 1) that's not how the plan is supposed to work; 2) I don't like the idea of using DDs to 'save' me from UD excess--I want to do JUDDD maintenance right with moderate DDs and UDs.
Wtg on the weight loss. Do you weigh once a month? And how do you think your maintenance uds and dds will look calorie wise? I have along way to go before I have to worry about that.

I will be making a chande to my Juddd routein but not until after the holidays I don't want to set my self up to fell at this point.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #170
Senior LCF member

Hi dasiey- No, if I were really strong, I'd weigh once a month, but I need to know by the week. So I weigh weekly, same day each week.

Dr. J advises that to do JUDDD in maintenance to simply raise the DD calories until you're no longer losing.

But one thing I've learned on these boards is that once at goal, you can't really raise the calories by much--or you start gaining!

Keep in mind that at my age (69) and hypothyroid, I have to seriously restrict calories. I lose about a pound a week if I do 350 cal DDs and 1400 cal UDs. My thinking is that I can probably do 600 cal DDs and 1400 cal UDs for maintenance, but for some reason, I've recently been going overboard on UDs. I want to get them under control before I begin raising DDs.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #171

I'm learning a lot from your ideas, Leo, and I'm certain I overdo my UDs too, relying on DDs to counterbalance the calories and keep my weight fairly even.
Your post is making me reassess.

AND, to top it all off, I didn't do well on yesterday's DD anyway. It was a great DD until the late evening, when it became a Hershey Bar Day. :blush: I not only don't weigh any less this morning.. I'm up about half a pound. So water weight from the chocolate.

I did get a turkey roasted early, and am picking the meat off the bones, saving the huge chunks for slicing later. I have LOTS of broth for soups and gravy and to make the dressing nice and moist. Needless to say, I'm going to be serving the turkey already sliced. I found out a few years ago that if it is heated through in its own juice, the meat is so succulent and moist. So no more big roasted birds being carved at the table here. LOL

I also made an enormous ham & mixed beans soup yesterday. My DH just loves it, and now that we're into the cooler days of November with winter breathing down our necks, he said he was hungry for it. So I'll portion that out into little plastic saver tubs and freeze it. I like having lots of variety frozen for cozy lazy winter days when we just want to cocoon, and I don't want to spend much time in the kitchen.

Have a great day, Everyone. I'm off to give more help to DH's daughter and her continuing work on her home and decorating the rooms. Slow going, but fun.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

hi. I have been sick. so no exericing. but in 2 weeks going to start again and also going to do 2 days a week sumba. they are starting that at curves too.

kind
Old 11-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #173
Senior LCF member

So Happy- Yeah--the reason I want to get my UDs under control is precisely what you describe--if I then lose control of DDs, I'll be lost! I never had a problem with UDs during the past two years, but I think once I began allowing myself "indulgences," I went overboard. I want my 'indulgence' to be those 600 cal DDs (currently I do 350).

I made a turkey this morning myself--even though we're going out for Thanksgiving dinner. I got a free turkey at my supermarket (for spending $$$$), and I love turkey, so I thought I'd make it and freeze it in serving portions to live on for a while. In fact, I have to get to that now, as the turkey has been 'resting' long enough!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

Lol..leo thanks for all the good info.
I to need to get my uds under control

I do really good on dds.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

whew, ok, yes, I blew the plan over the last few days. With my birthday being yesterday and having several friends surprise me with a wonderful lunch and then my family took me out yesterday for Mexican, I'm totally done with food the hormones still rage and the bloating is still out of control, but my plan of attack today is tons of herbal tea with lemon. I'm heading to church but thankfully I attend a church where I can get tea there and drink it in church so I"ll be swigging away while I worship! I may be ready to chew my arm off later today but I also feel ready for a really good dd today. I need desperately to get back on plan. I also haven't weighed myself the last few days because I knew the bloating would really depress me but I'm going to force myself to look at the number this morning, knowing it will help me stay the course today.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #176
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone dd for me today. Saturday was ud and sunday was md. I wanted to get on track for Thanksgiving being a ud. I know it will be up up day. So I am going to try and be very careful the next 3 days.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #177
Senior LCF member

I'm trying to be extra careful these three days, too. However, anyone who is new to JUDDD might be comforted by the fact that I've never had a problem with 'holiday eating' on JUDDD when I am faithful to the surrounding DDs.

I've managed to lose weight even at Thanksgiving and Christmas (making sure both those days are UDs
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

Well i will try to do good. I will start the day off with
at least an hours worth of exercising. I will ride my
inside bike its gonna be cold that day. And I will be
starting my midnight rotation.

Kind while I'm doing my 7 on of midnights I'm not
around alot. I have lots of trouble sleeping and
it seems I'm either trying to sleep or sleeping or
at work. I work 10 hours shifts and as of right
now we do not have internet at this location.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
Hello everyone!

I've read this thread, the October one, and the October menu thread and I'm seriously thinking that JUDDD might be perfect for me as I get closer to goal.

A couple of questions: does anyone use coconut oil in coffee/tea (other than cooking)? I take 1 tablespoon a day in the morning. I'm really happy with the way I feel on it, and I don't want to give it up, but I realize it's a huge chunk of a DD calories. Also, I noticed a couple of times there was mention of LC not being appropriate for JUDDD. Does anyone do this program avoiding grains, starches and fruit?

You all have a really lovely community here!! Thanks for the help, and I hope I get to join you soon!!

<<<avi taken a few weeks before my 50th birthday at 165lbs!!
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #180
Senior LCF member

goddesslynne-
You could get the idea that low carb doesn't 'go' with JUDDD because the program's founder, Dr. Johnson, seems anti-low carb. But most of us are here on this board because we low carb anyway. I've been doing JUDDD low carb for about 2 years now (2 years next month). In fact, if I didn't have the appetite control of low-carb eating, I don't think I could do successful DDs!

As to coconut oil, I don't personally use it, and I've always avoided fat on my DDs because of the calories. However, I recently found out that a little fat can help with appetite control, so if you think that would work for you, you could try it. I tend to focus on protein on my DDs because I think it's important to avoid muscle wasting when eating such low calories.