Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #121
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
NewSize- Being up only 1 lb is terrific. Unless I'm very, very careful, I gain rapidly. My body seems to want to be obese, and it's a constant struggle to resist it
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSize4Me View Post
Well I weighed in today after a week off plan and I was only up 1 pound. It would have been better to be down, but considering I was sure the scale would be up much more than that, I'm happy. Today is a DD. Have a great day everyone.
You really did good! I'm up just over a pound... just for yesterday! LOL

I'll bet your small pound will come back off very quickly and you will continue to head on down in weight, if that is your plan.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #123
Senior LCF member

Everyone needs to keep in mind that one's actual 'weight' is variable by the hour! A single pound is meaningless; my own weight can vary by 5 lbs within one day because of water fluctuations (I retain water easily).

In considering a 'goal' weight, someone on this thread a while ago pointed out that we should aim for a 'decade' rather than a number. For example, supposed my 'goal' is 155. Then I should consider that a 'target' but realize that any number within the 150s is 'normal.'

As I maintain, I continue to weigh, but I don't take any action until I'm 160 OR 149 (i.e., I have a 5 lb 'cushion' that may be meaningless, depending on recent choices I've made).

It seems to me that this approach is better than agonizing over every pound.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
NewSize- Being up only 1 lb is terrific. Unless I'm very, very careful, I gain rapidly. My body seems to want to be obese, and it's a constant struggle to resist it
me too, Leo, I think my body wants to have a lot of cushion but so far I still lose pretty easy. If I'm not working at it though my body can pack on the pounds very quickly.

Quote:
Everyone needs to keep in mind that one's actual 'weight' is variable by the hour! A single pound is meaningless; my own weight can vary by 5 lbs within one day because of water fluctuations (I retain water easily).

In considering a 'goal' weight, someone on this thread a while ago pointed out that we should aim for a 'decade' rather than a number. For example, supposed my 'goal' is 155. Then I should consider that a 'target' but realize that any number within the 150s is 'normal.'

As I maintain, I continue to weigh, but I don't take any action until I'm 160 OR 149 (i.e., I have a 5 lb 'cushion' that may be meaningless, depending on recent choices I've made).

It seems to me that this approach is better than agonizing over every pound.
I agree with this too Leo. My "decade" goal for now would be 125-135 as I begin to get uncomfortable above 135 but I'm not sure anything below 125 is reasonably a goal for me at my age. However, I will stay on weight loss calories or very close to it once I hit 130 and see where it takes me. I will at that point just make sure I don't go over 135 while trying to see if my body can fit in the 120-130 decade. I hit 126 last time I did JUDDD (stupid, stupid, stupid! for gaining the weight back) so I know it's not too unreasonable to be at that weight but since I only maintained it for 10 minutes I can really speak to whether going lower is reasonable. I'm excited to get there and see though. I'm also thinking way more about maintaining at even this point in my loss this time as I see now that I never gave it enough thought. I was always so hung up on losing that when I got anywhere close to goal, I relaxed way too much. Not this time and you girls are gonna help me! To be honest, I went through a period of time where I struggled with the "spiritual" aspect of dieting and had lots of questions about the right way to do it, the right motive, etc, but I have spent many hours working through it and have come out on the other side! I'm here now with a much more positive view of why I'm here and where I'm going! yeah me!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #125

I quite agree, Leo. The scale only lets you know what you weigh at this very minute, and that includes the food from yesterday that hasn't yet passed and the mug of tea you just drank.

It is only good to show you whether overall, as the days and weeks pass, you are bouncing more down than up. LOL I'm not one who cares much about daily variances, although I do weigh, empty if possible, each morning. I just record the number and then get on with my day. But some people are crazed from that bouncing number, and I think it leads them to more sanity if they only weigh once a week or so.

Still, for NewSize, I'll bet it was fun to see that after a week of vacation the number was only up by one. :-)
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I quite agree, Leo. The scale only lets you know what you weigh at this very minute, and that includes the food from yesterday that hasn't yet passed and the mug of tea you just drank.

It is only good to show you whether overall, as the days and weeks pass, you are bouncing more down than up. LOL I'm not one who cares much about daily variances, although I do weigh, empty if possible, each morning. I just record the number and then get on with my day. But some people are crazed from that bouncing number, and I think it leads them to more sanity if they only weigh once a week or so.

Still, for NewSize, I'll bet it was fun to see that after a week of vacation the number was only up by one. :-)
I agree it's probably saner to weigh only once a week, but I find that weighing every day aids in my success for the day. If I weigh and the weight is good, the same or a loss, I am motivated to keep up the good work during that day in order to keep up the good results. If, however, I have one of those days where the scale is mean It is motivation to me to work harder that day to get rid of the water (it reminds me often that I didn't drink enough the day before and I am retaining water) Also, I have found that if I hit a weak point in my day, which for me usually happens in a moment of stress when my thoughts go directly to food...pigging out, blowing the diet, kind of food, the reminder of the weight on the scale helps pull me back to reality and I can talk myself out of blowing it with the help of that number. Sounds a little insane, I suppose but I've tried it both ways and for now, for me, I find it works better to weigh every day.
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #127
Senior LCF member

I absolutely agree, Leisa, that on the issue of how often to weigh, you should do what works best for you. One of our JUDDD posters who has gone away for a while found that when she switched to weighing daily, she was able to stay on plan, something that had troubled her for a long time.

It shows how different we all are because I, too, have tried it both ways, and my problem was that if the scale went down, I was so happy that I tended to blow the upcoming day, and if the scale went up, I was so depressed that I tended to blow the upcoming day!!

It's really strange, but if I limit myself to weighing weekly, then I react as Leisa described--whatever the result, it winds up being motivating for me.

As with everything else with this weight-loss process, I guess the important thing is to understand ourselves and make choices based on that knowledge.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #128

Quote:
It shows how different we all are because I, too, have tried it both ways, and my problem was that if the scale went down, I was so happy that I tended to blow the upcoming day, and if the scale went up, I was so depressed that I tended to blow the upcoming day!!
I love how you described it, Leo.

I've heard of *negative ESP*, but I think that must be negative motivation! LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

ok, so this is only my 3rd real dd since restarting and I've noticed that it's not easy yet. I'm still thinking about food a little too much but have found that I can relax and make a very consious effort to relax and put my mind on other things, but I've also noticed another trend (if you can call it that after one week) I've found that on my dd's, when I've done well all day long, I start trying to tell myself that maybe it would be ok to just begin my UD before I go to bed When I actually put it down in type, it sounds ridiculous but at the moment it almost seems reasonable to me. I think it's because late evenings have always been a snacky time for me and also the day has wound down and I have more time to think about food.

So, for those of you who have done it for more than a week, how long did it take you to notice the dd's getting easier? I don't remember a particular turning point from last time. I remember loving it and finding it fairly easy but I don't remember if my dd's were ever that easy. So far, what makes them easier is to stay really busy. Today was pretty easy because I was busy and the day went by fast. I'm glad tomorrow is an UD because it's a quiet day for me with just homeschooling my girls. I do have one outside appt in the morning also but I might just grab myself a little lunch afterwards before coming home.

Getting pretty mouthy this week already.....just tell me to shut up when you get tired of it, I go through phases of needing to be very connected and then through times of feeling I'm on cruise control. Right now, I NEED this interaction! Thanks everyone for putting up with my ramblings!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #130
Senior LCF member

Leisa- Don't begin your UD before bedtime on the DD--that's the path to disaster, IMO. What you can do is 'save' a snack of 50-100 cal to have at bedtime so that you can eat something at a time like that.

When I first started DDs, I often found myself hungry at bedtime and convinced that I'd never be able to go to sleep without more food. But I found that just saying, "I'll eat that (if I were craving something specific) tomorrow" OR "I'll have breakfast first thing in the morning" would really banish the hunger. Once I'd done that few times, I wasn't bothered too much by bedtime hunger; it just seemed normal for a DD.

As to when they get easier, I really think it's a matter of what our total day is like. I've noticed, as you have too, that if I'm really busy, the DD seems much easier, but if it's a 'slow' day for me, I tend to struggle more. A lot of this is mental for me. In my experience, the DDs aren't uniformly 'easy' or 'difficult'--they vary depending on what else is happening in my life.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I just dropped in to say Hi ya all. up day for me. But I have to say this these midnights are screwing me up. I need a new job. One more night then I will be back with the living.
I read your post and I love them. I can relate to them all in one way or the other. So will talk to you all very soon. keep on juddding
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey JUDDDers!

Glad to see everyone doing well. I had a really bad day yesterday, although it was a great down day. I had some kind of stomach bug, and it was BAD. I was down 6 lbs at the end of the day, if that tells you anything. I wouldn't recommend dieting that way, but it was very effective..lol. I managed to get down a couple of popsicles at the end of the day. My son had it as well, although not as severe. It seems to be going around work.

I am going to just look at it as a jumpstart and try to get back in the teens, where I feel WAY more comfortable weight wise.

As far as weighing, I have to do it on a daily basis. It does get discouraging at times, because I retain quite a bit of water. I can go up 10 lbs in a day. It shocks my husband, but I have shown him on the scale and he is amazed by it. I am only 5'0 tall, so 10 lbs is quite a bit for me. I am sure it has to do with being hypothyroid.

I am doing today a moderate day, so that will put me on track with Thanksgiving being an Upday. We are going out to eat Friday also, so that puts me right on track.

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #133
Senior LCF member

dasiey- Good wishes sent your way for those midnights! It must be awful, especially while you're trying to do JUDDD (or any plan) because I understand that shifts like that are really hard on your bodily systems. Hope you'll be with the 'living' soon!

Michelle- Sorry you were so ill; those stomach things are just so uncomfortable. I have always had water retention issues, but I suspect that I was hypothyroid way before I was ever diagnosed. I've had many of the symptoms of a sluggish metabolism from childhood, and I know my thyroid was tested. But since diagnosis is so difficult to get today, imagine how we were misdiagnosed 60 years ago!

I remember once when I had the flu--I actually retained 12 lbs of water until my fever broke!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

UD today for me...ate too much! looking forward to NO food tomorrow....liquids only for me tomorrow. Thursday I'm being taken out for lunch by a friend so that's a good UD plan and then Saturday is my birthday so I don't want to have a DD that day, so my regular alternating this week! Wishing I was down more than a pound for this week but I'm bloated. I'm like Michele and I gain water weight VERY easily!

Michele, so sorry you were sick! hope you are feeling much better by tonight!

Very busy day tomorrow which also makes a great dd! Happy Wednesday tomorrow everyone!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #135
Senior LCF member

DD for me today, but rather than making 'progress,' I think today will just compensate for a 'super UD' yesterday [sigh]. I had two doctors' appointments in one day and a medical issue that is unresolved (more testing needed), and I think the stress just upset my normal routine and led to 'comfort eating.' No bad stuff--just too much of it.

At least a good DD today should restore some balance. I do feel so much better with moderate UDs, but a lifetime of overeating often rears its ugly head
Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
DD for me today, but rather than making 'progress,' I think today will just compensate for a 'super UD' yesterday [sigh]. I had two doctors' appointments in one day and a medical issue that is unresolved (more testing needed), and I think the stress just upset my normal routine and led to 'comfort eating.' No bad stuff--just too much of it.

At least a good DD today should restore some balance. I do feel so much better with moderate UDs, but a lifetime of overeating often rears its ugly head
that's exactly what I did, Leo. We'll have a better day today.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

This is going to be a "chew my arm off" kind of day. Gonna have a shake to stave off the hungries and then probably another tonight while my girls are at youth group. I can have it tomorrow!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

You guys are all great. I can gain10 lbs. in a day as well.
I really can not eat fried food. My fingers look like sausages
shortly after. I ate breakfast out at a fast food place. Shortly
after I was miserable. I learned my lessons the hard way.

Thanks Leo. I am back. I have to do good this week.
I am sticking with it.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #139
Blabbermouth!!!

You can do it Leisa.
DD for me to
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Eatin clean@ using the Nutri Bullet
Start Date: .Aug. 2012
Hi Daisy.
You better stick with it. ha. How are you?
Kind
kind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Good Afternoon JUDDDers!

Today is a UD for me, but keeping it Fast Five. I am really trying to get back into the Fast Five mode, because I felt more control over my eating doing that. I know it's not something I can do every single day, but just the majority of the time. I have done great this week, because my stomach is still kinda unsettled from being sick.

I think I need to really sit down and come up with a some mini-goals, because I feel like I am just floating around and winging it. I don't know if a goal with help either, but it might be worth a shot.

Leisa - You can do it!

Kind - Good to see you again!

Michelle
Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
Good Afternoon JUDDDers!

Today is a UD for me, but keeping it Fast Five. I am really trying to get back into the Fast Five mode, because I felt more control over my eating doing that. I know it's not something I can do every single day, but just the majority of the time. I have done great this week, because my stomach is still kinda unsettled from being sick.

I think I need to really sit down and come up with a some mini-goals, because I feel like I am just floating around and winging it. I don't know if a goal with help either, but it might be worth a shot.

Leisa - You can do it!

Kind - Good to see you again!

Michelle

Michelle, glad you are feeling some better. Thanks for the cheering on....I'm amazed I didn't cave already. I'll make it through because at this point in the day I'm less likely to give in because the days more than half over. I figure I can do it if I made it this far. Had a can of Progresso 100 calorie soup....200 calories for the whole can and that has held me so far. Was in a discount grocery and found some SlimFast shakes for a good deal so I bought a four pack of those and will likely have that later. 180 calories for that. My goal is to keep my dd calories at less than 400 so hopefully I'll be ok with that. I'm tired today so I'll probably go to sleep a bit early (seems to be my pattern on dd's) oh, I did discover the other day that almonds are a good dd snack that hold me pretty well....28 of them for 160 calories) Need to buy more.

ok, at the library killing time waiting for my girls youth group meeting so I'll go for now.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #143
Senior LCF member

Leisa-
I'm exactly the same with DDs--if I make it to a certain time, I know I can do it. My time is 2 pm. Since I'm a 'morning eater,' I know that once I get to the afternoon, I'll be OK.

My most recent discovery is that fat helps. I've always stayed away from fat on DDs because of the calories, but a few weeks ago, I was really, really hungry, and I had one T of almond butter (100 cal) with a cup of hot tea--and I was fully satisfied for the rest of the day.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Leisa-
I'm exactly the same with DDs--if I make it to a certain time, I know I can do it. My time is 2 pm. Since I'm a 'morning eater,' I know that once I get to the afternoon, I'll be OK.

My most recent discovery is that fat helps. I've always stayed away from fat on DDs because of the calories, but a few weeks ago, I was really, really hungry, and I had one T of almond butter (100 cal) with a cup of hot tea--and I was fully satisfied for the rest of the day.

Leo -
Peanut butter is a regular part of my downdays. I stayed away from it for awhile because of the calories, but 1 tablespoon can hold me for hours. I measure it out before work and carry just that with me.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post

Leo -
Peanut butter is a regular part of my downdays. I stayed away from it for awhile because of the calories, but 1 tablespoon can hold me for hours. I measure it out before work and carry just that with me.
I'm going to remember that!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
Hi Daisy.
You better stick with it. ha. How are you?
Kind
My Dear Kind where have you been....
Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

I also eat almonds. they do help alot. and yes I eat 28 of them.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Eatin clean@ using the Nutri Bullet
Start Date: .Aug. 2012
Hi' Dasiey.
I dont know why I really left here.
I have been doing good.But today I go and have a C A T done and some blood work.Im going to start Judd again Monday.So I will be posting more.I think it helps to have buddies doing it with.
Talk later and hi to you all also.
Kind
kind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #149

I think it is very interesting to hear what you all choose to eat on your DDs. For myself, a little fat isn't filling at all, and actually stimulates me to want a whole lot more. One tablespoon of peanut butter or cheese is like *just one potato chip* or whatever that ad was. LOL I never could seem to get filled up on a reasonable amount of fat, and instead would feast on it until I'd swallowed about 2,000 calories of it! (Unhappily, that actually true. :blush

For my DDs, I have to weigh out mountains of veggies, the low calorie/carb ones mostly, and have them with a bit of fat and some protein. A HUGE salad with my 35 cal dressing or a HUGE stir fry is what gets me through my DDs happily and quite satisfied, and under 500 calories.

So far, I've been able to maintain effortlessly, fluctuating within about a 3-pound range, despite some pretty calorie-laden UDs!!! If I cut my UDs down some, I expect I might actually lose some additional weight as well. I might think about that some more one of these days. In the meantime, why didn't I think of this way of eating myself, years ago?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
Hi' Dasiey.
I dont know why I really left here.
I have been doing good.But today I go and have a C A T done and some blood work.Im going to start Judd again Monday.So I will be posting more.I think it helps to have buddies doing it with.
Talk later and hi to you all also.
Kind
back. I love doing juddd. I have not lost alot. But I have lost some. But most of all I just fill thinner. And its a great feeling.

I hope all is well with you.
And I am glad you are back.