Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Leisa- Do you not eat all day (until evening) on DDs? I could never do that--correction, I did it a couple of times when I wasn't hungry, but normally, I have 50-100 cal snacks periodically during the day, along with my black coffee and green tea. I think it keeps my blood sugar up just enough to avoid 'real' hunger--although there are always days when for some reason I have to 'white knuckle' it through.
Leo, no I never did before and I find that if I wait I do better. Today was just hard for some reason and I'm pretty sure it was because I really overate last night. When I lost weight last spring, I combined JUDDD with Fast 5, so my goal is to do that this time simply because it works better for me. HOWEVER, IF I find that it doesn't get any easier on DD's, I'm not opposed to doing like I did today and have a shake earlier. I would just hold out as long as possible. I also think sticking to liquid calories works best. I tried eggs a few days ago and ended up blowing my dd because eating real food triggers too much hunger for me. I like the idea of a 50-100 calorie snack though. Just not sure if it would work.

I'm exhausted and fighting off a cold so I think I"ll get a shower, curl up with my Biggest Loser and then sleep!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys!

When I was successful doing this in the past I combined Fast Five with JUDDD. I also do better when I wait to eat and usually have a shake on DD's.

Leo - It really hasn't been much colder here, but it's getting dark REALLY early. I am not sure what it is but I have been so hungry. I was going to do a DD today and it's already more like a moderate day. "sigh" I am not giving up, just not sure what's going on or how to get back in the groove.

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Hi Everyone.. I'm back! I dont know whether you guys remember me from last year but I came and posted on here but failed miserably on JUDDD! I just couldnt control my UD's - ended up bingeing big time on UD's and then would start a DD with the very best intentions but then would cave in and hit the biscuit tin in the evenings! Argggghhh! Since then I have lurched from one diet to the next and I am now totally sick and fed up of starting yet another diet, buying special foods, eating seperately from the rest of the family and feeling really deprived. I would be good all week and then cave in at the weekend.

I am going to give JUDDD my best shot. Doing JUDDD means it is not the death of my social life and with a bit of willpower and planning, I can plan for treats and not feel guilty. The other thing I am much wiser with is NOT to exercise on DD's... the gym makes me come home RAVENOUS and theres no way I will cope with that on a DD. The only other thing I will have to deal with is the fact I was so over with logging everything that went into my mouth! A lot of my food is made from scratch and home made so sometimes Its impossible to know how many calories is in it.. I have to create a recipe on the ********* website and then work out the calories thats in the dish. Its a pain but it must be certainly better that some of the diet plans I have tried where I have had to wave goodbye to eating some of my favourite foods.. not to mention turning down invitations to eating out. I just couldnt bear the thought of sitting in a restaurant and not eating freely from the menu. Why live life like that? Oh well. Here goes...

Started today with a successful DD - have totalled 500 calories. Tummy growling with hunger but its late so will be going to bed after typing this. Was going to do tomorrow DD as well as I could do with keeping Friday and Saturday UD's and then DD again on Sunday. Are you able to do 2 x DD's back to back or is it better to do pure alternation to start with?

Bye for now! Andrea
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #64
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Andrea- If you struggle with plans, is JUDDD really for you? It is rather radical, and many of our posters have had your issue--going overboard on UDs and then unable to keep DDs. I admire you for trying it again, but if it becomes a problem, please realize that you're not alone; others have had problems with it.

Yes, Dr. J advises NOT to exercise on DDs, and I didn't do that for 2 years. When I recently added in strength training on my DDs, I found the same thing as you--I was absolutely ravenous and couldn't hold my DD calories to <500. It's amazing how much exercise affects appetite, but that's one reason that a lot of people on our Main Lobby report that they 'lose better' when they don't exercise, and they don't know why. I suspect it's because they eat more but don't realize it.

Also, consecutive DDs are not allowed on JUDDD because of the effect on the body. The body doesn't respond to our super low calorie DDs for 24 hours, but beyond that, there can be negative consequences, so that's why Dr. J has that prohibition on consecutive DDs. Consecutive UDs are OK. Also, if you need to change the alternation for any reason, Dr. J advises a "medium day," which is the average of your UD/DD calories. I like to keep my DDs the same, so I do one MD every weekend.

Leisa & Michelle- It always amazes me how different we all are! I am convinced that a big part of weight loss is understanding yourself and what works for you. I've tried Fast5 a couple of times (to combine with JUDDD), and if I know I can't eat for any period of time, I become obsessed with eating! The only way I can manage DDs is knowing that I can eat any time I want--it helps me delay eating to know that I can if I want to.

And just as you like to drink calories in shakes, I am totally unsatisfied unless I can 'chew' solid food! I always wish I could do shakes because it would make DDs so much easier, and everyone always reports good losses when they stick to liquids.

In any case, I've found that discovering what works best for me has really helped me cope with the calorie restriction I need in my old age
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 AM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
well I made it thru dd yesterday 450 calories. I don't know why this one was so hard. but anyway I think its going back the hour I was so tired and the day dragged on and on. I went to bed at 9pm.

welcome back andrea. I like juddd I have tried it a few times
I think this time its working better for me.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

I made it through my dd yesterday also dasiey! woohoo! 380 calories. I had a greek yogurt about 8pm. Looking forward to my UD today but will try to hold out till 5pm. I'm at 148 this morning, so that's my reward for sticking it out yesterday and well worth it!
LBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post
I made it through my dd yesterday also dasiey! woohoo! 380 calories. I had a greek yogurt about 8pm. Looking forward to my UD today but will try to hold out till 5pm. I'm at 148 this morning, so that's my reward for sticking it out yesterday and well worth it!
WTG... good for you
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBishop View Post

Leisa -
Congrats on the loss! It's great to have you back.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
I read your posts and found them great as usual. I'm not posting a lot each week because I have a ton of other issues hanging over me just now.

However, I do have a question for all of you. On my UD's I am keeping my calories at about 1000-1200 and my carbs under 60. I am sure once a week my carbs will go lower but that's a ballpark. I just think that with the DD's being so low that going up as much as 60 grams won't be so bad. There is such a "thing" about staying VLC and I'm not so sure that this is so important with the calories as low as they are. What do you think?
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #70
Senior LCF member

dasiey & Leisa-
Good for you getting through the tough DD! I have given up trying to figure out why some DDs are so easy and others are extremely tough. I've never found a pattern in my own situation. Some DDs are so easy, I think I get over confident, and then others are difficult for no apparent reason.

For me, the key is to fight through the tough ones and not give in, mainly because JUDDD has enabled me to lose, and I never want to find that I can't do DDs any more.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
dasiey & Leisa-
Good for you getting through the tough DD! I have given up trying to figure out why some DDs are so easy and others are extremely tough. I've never found a pattern in my own situation. Some DDs are so easy, I think I get over confident, and then others are difficult for no apparent reason.

For me, the key is to fight through the tough ones and not give in, mainly because JUDDD has enabled me to lose, and I never want to find that I can't do DDs any more.
I agree, fighting through is what got me through yesterday. Today, I'm glad it's an UD because I think I have a kidney stone and don't need any extra stress! ugh!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #72
Senior LCF member

Leisa-
I hope you don't have a kidney stone because, although I've never had one, I've heard that they are SO painful! If you suspect one, be sure to get medical help ASAP (at least that's what I'd do because I like to avoid as much pain as possible

Suze-
The 60g of carbs should not be a problem. I read a lot on the Primal website, and Mark Sisson (its creator) recommends carbs at around 50-70g for weight loss, and certainly never VLC. I think it all depends on the individual. Personally, I have a problem with too many carbs, but most people are not as sensitive as I am. As you may know, JUDDD is not a low carb plan, and Dr. J insists that people can eat anything they wish on UDs.

My question is why your UD calories are so low. It seems to me that you're defeating the purpose of the plan if your DDs and UDs are at a very similar calorie level--but perhaps I'm not understanding what you're doing?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Leo: I don't even know what I'm doing on my UD's sometimes! On my DD's I am at 650 cals. I'm not doing an MD because why bother? So, 650x3 is 1950, and then 1200x4 is 4800 which averages out to 964 cals/day. That leaves me a bit of wiggle room if I want to keep my intake at about 1200/day. If you have any suggestions please jump in as I appreciate your advice so much.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

Well my uds are around 2000 and my dds are 500 or less. Its working for me
I am a slow loser. And I am dealing with that ok. I use to get mad and guit
what ever plan I was on. But now as long as I don't gain and lose slowly
( no choice in that matter ) I can live with this.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #75
Senior LCF member

Suze- I just got confused . I thought you were doing 800 cal DDs and 1000 cal UDs, and although that would be close to the same average that you're actually doing, I didn't think there was enough difference between them.

What you're actually doing seems fine to me. I needed to go below 1000 (average) in order to lose, and as I've posted previously, my endo agreed with me (he knows how slow my metabolism is).

Sadly, I haven't yet been able to find the level I need to maintain, but, alas, as I anticipated, it's not much higher than what I've been doing to lose. JUDDD seems to be just as good for maintenance than for weight loss because at least I can have some UDs--i.e. allow myself the occasional 'splurge' without gaining.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Well, had another rather big UD but the pain I was having was distracting me from my focus and I had some chocolate tonight. Still having pain but it subsided some after I drank a ton of water. It almost seems as if it might just be a muscle spasm, but it's hard to tell. I've had several stones and this feels like a stone but is a little higher and is not coming quite in the waves that a stone usually comes in. weird! We'll see what the future holds, I guess.

Looking forward to my dd tomorrow! I have 6 1/2 weeks before my trip to HOnduras and I want to lose 18 pounds by then. According to the last time I did JUDDD and Fast 5, this is do-able. I'm just hoping nothing trips me up.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #77
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning Juddders...

DD today I hope its better then the last
I plan to stay very busy. and away from
the kitchen.

I am going to try to save all my calories
for this evening.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Good morning Juddders...

DD today I hope its better then the last
I plan to stay very busy. and away from
the kitchen.

I am going to try to save all my calories
for this evening.
Me too! I'm with you! We can do this. I'm up two pounds this morning because of eating too much last night. I will get these UD's under control, I'm sure, but I hope it's soon. : )

Let's have a great dd today!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys!!

I had a good DD yesterday, and saved all my calories for dinner. That does seem to work for me on DD's. On UD's lately, I have been waking up hungry and so I usually eat when I get to work. This morning I brought some steel cut oatmeal fried in butter. I am curious to see how long it holds me. I have heard it's super filling or it makes people super hungry...lol. With my luck I will be starving in 20 minutes. We will see, as they were really good! I didn't even need any kind of sweetner.

Good to see everyone JUDDDing away.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

I have never had the steel cut oatmeal. But I eat the old fashioned kind and it keeps me feeled up for most of the day. I use them on dds. half cup of dry mixed with one cup of water. 150 calories.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #81
Senior LCF member

Alas, I love oatmeal but can't eat it. The carbs give me a hunger attack within an hour. Michelle, I suspect that's why people claim that it either fills them or makes them hungry--it all depends on how sensitive they are to carbs. I just happen to be super-sensitive.

I always eat breakfast (often my biggest meal of the day), but it's protein/fat--never carbs (except for some chopped spinach I might sprinkle into an omelet, as I did this morning).
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Alas, I love oatmeal but can't eat it. The carbs give me a hunger attack within an hour. Michelle, I suspect that's why people claim that it either fills them or makes them hungry--it all depends on how sensitive they are to carbs. I just happen to be super-sensitive.

I always eat breakfast (often my biggest meal of the day), but it's protein/fat--never carbs (except for some chopped spinach I might sprinkle into an omelet, as I did this morning).
Same for me Leo..can't do the oatmeal. I'm also very sensitive to carbs.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

For me its sweets. If I eat a cookie I will eat 10 of them.
Or half of a cake or pie. Ok its sugar.

But as far as veggies,bread,potatoes. They don't seem
to bother me.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
[QUOTE=Leo41;14072386]Andrea- If you struggle with plans, is JUDDD really for you? It is rather radical, and many of our posters have had your issue--going overboard on UDs and then unable to keep DDs. I admire you for trying it again, but if it becomes a problem, please realize that you're not alone; others have had problems with it.

Yes, Dr. J advises NOT to exercise on DDs, and I didn't do that for 2 years. When I recently added in strength training on my DDs, I found the same thing as you--I was absolutely ravenous and couldn't hold my DD calories to <500. It's amazing how much exercise affects appetite, but that's one reason that a lot of people on our Main Lobby report that they 'lose better' when they don't exercise, and they don't know why. I suspect it's because they eat more but don't realize it.

Also, consecutive DDs are not allowed on JUDDD because of the effect on the body. The body doesn't respond to our super low calorie DDs for 24 hours, but beyond that, there can be negative consequences, so that's why Dr. J has that prohibition on consecutive DDs. Consecutive UDs are OK. Also, if you need to change the alternation for any reason, Dr. J advises a "medium day," which is the average of your UD/DD calories. I like to keep my DDs the same, so I do one MD every weekend.

Thanks for that Leo... I ended up taking your advice and yesterday was an UD and came in at around 1400 cals. I decided that if I am going to give JUDDD a fair crack at the whip then I need to do the consecutive UD/DD alternation.

You are right - JUDDD may not be for me. But one thing I have learned through the diets I have lurched from is I am not good at following strict diet plans - or cutting out carbs.. and also since quitting the nicotine I have realised just how I love my food! Its amazing how much food and drink becomes part of your social life! I sat down and realised that there is no excuse for not being able to tough it out for just one day!

Oh well. DD for me today. This will be challenge as its Friday and we have the Friday feeling in our house with takeaways etc. Not for me! Tomorrow I can have the takeaway and the glass of wine!

Take care for now.. Andrea
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #85
Senior LCF member

Andrea-

If you don't like prescriptive plans (I don't either) and you want carbs, then JUDDD may be exactly right for you! Except for the calorie restriction on DDs, Dr. J invites folks to eat whatever they wish (although he suggests a healthy diet). I think this is very liberal in terms of no real 'rules' beyond the DD issue. Good luck with it!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'm going to drop FAst 5 from my plan for now. I'm thinking this because that makes me go 36 hours on about 200-500 calories which seems really hard for me right now. I want to be able to stick with JUDDD because that's what I like the best but feel like trying to wait until 5 on my ud's is just too hard right now. So, with that said, I will be eating whenever I'm hungry. I don't usually eat much for breakfast or lunch anyway, so those meals will be more like snacks as that is just kind of natural for me. However, I think just knowing I can have something will help me and keep me from blowing it altogether. Also, note to self: Sugar free gum causes cravings! ugh! I'm starving right now....gonna take a shower and go to sleep so I won't think about it anymore! But, it was a good dd anyway. Had two boiled eggs earlier today and then some Greek yogurt tonight. 200 calories total.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #87
Senior LCF member

Leisa!

If I waited until 5 pm to eat on my UDs, I'd be chewing off my arm! I know that some of the IF people assume that the longer without food the better, but I read on the primal site that there's no real benefit beyond 18 hours.

I'm not saying this is true, but it's something I read. It reminds me, though, that Dr. J says that a DD of 500 cal or less has been proven to be just as good for the body as a total fast.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Leisa!

If I waited until 5 pm to eat on my UDs, I'd be chewing off my arm! I know that some of the IF people assume that the longer without food the better, but I read on the primal site that there's no real benefit beyond 18 hours.

I'm not saying this is true, but it's something I read. It reminds me, though, that Dr. J says that a DD of 500 cal or less has been proven to be just as good for the body as a total fast.
Yes, I remember him saying that also, Leo and that's part of the reason I've decided to just eat when I'm hungry on UD's. After a couple of good dd's, I feel a new "settled" feeling now and feel so much more in control. I need to control my ud's a little better, but feel more able to do that now. We'll see what today holds!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

hey everyone. My dd went very well also.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
Hello,

I am trying JUDDD for the holidays. I'm maintaining my weight so my down days are at 700-750 calories to start. Yesterday was my first up day and this morning I'm up 1.6 lbs, which is a lot for me. I know it's water weight because I had a small amount of bread and candy but otherwise did not overeat. I was wondering your experiences... I was hoping to be able to introduce some carbs on my up days but don't like the weight gain the next day. Does the body adjust after awhile so you don't see dramatic fluctuations day to day or do are you only concerned with a weekly average?

Thanks,
Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote