Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
I'm going to experiment tomorrow.

It will be a DD. I'll be away from home all day & into the night, my usual teaching day followed by a meeting and then my women's group.

I don't want to wait until 9 p.m. to eat, so I'm going to go to a Mexican restaurant where they will make any burrito on the menu into a salad, without the tortilla. I'll choose something with either chicken or seafood, and I won't have the chips that usually come with it. No sour cream, either, just salsa.

So I won't be counting the calories, but that will be all I eat for my DD. If it's over 500 calories, it won't be by much... and I want the option to do this on occasion, so I can sustain JUDDDing for a long time w/out feeling deprived.

Goodnight, everyone!
Cynthia
loves2sing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Today is a down day. Don't know what I will be eating but it will show itself, probably chicken, fried egg on a slice of Julian Bread, salad. See, this takes it to about 775 cals., but then tomorrow I will keep it at about 1200. All pretty steady at a LC level. 500 cals. is killing me guys! I will be a good girl on Wednesday.

I went over to the Atkins '72 thread and didn't know you had homebase there Jessica. I post there sometimes but because I don't post often so no one remembers me I guess. I made a couple of comments and asked a question and quite honestly they were less than friendly. I won't be asking any questions there any time soon. I said something about FANY (Atkins For A New You) and no one knew what I was talking about. The new Atkins has a strict set of guidelines pushing 12-15 grams from veggies alone, which is more than I can actually eat for some reason. Others on the Atkins website comment on this but they want you to have it and are rather adamant. 1400-1500 calories a day is pretty standard for a woman. I have the book, as well as all of the other Atkins books and this is all fine, but I can't lose on that many calories, just maintain unless I got my activity level up more. What I asked was about cream and the amount of calories. I have coffee in my cream I'm thinking, LOL, and asked about their cream consumption. Got sort of a blast there, then asked about how many calories they are eating, and another blast hit. There are lots of people who don't know that Eades, Atkins, Carpendar and others freely admit that when you aren't losing to try and reduce your fat a little and your overall calories. Older people don't lose as well as younger people. Hit a wall there. Whatever I am doing seems to be working though, and so my own form of LC will prevail it seems. Long post, but it serves to remind me that progress is at least keeping me on track. I think being too strict about anything just sets me up for failure.

About the hamburger soup: I just use a pound of burger, and about a cup each of different veggies, i.e. green beans, onion, carrot, zucchini, peas plus a healthy portion of beef broth (large Swanson), and a 16 oz can of chopped tomato. It's really good. Season as desired.

Have a great day all!
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

I take back what I said about the Atkins '72 thread not being very friendly. Apparently they didn't read my stats and just assumed that 1000 cals a day was too low. I'm in like again.

Just Saying!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Suze, sure hope I didn't seem to be ignoring your remarks! I haven't logged onto LCF in a few days, and didn't see them.

I have found the 72 challenge group to be supportive and friendly. I've been posting there for a long time--well over a year. The group's composition has changed over, as threads seem to do, but there are no "queen bees" trying to run the show there, which I like. There's room to follow your own way there, without anyone telling you you're doing it wrong.

I am still plugging along on plan with JUDDD, but haven't weighed since my +2.5 pound weigh in day. Why bring myself down? I suspect a hormonal water retention is affecting me, and may continue to do so for the next week or two until TOM. Not much to do about that but stay the course.

I think my Up Days are way too caloric, so I'm trying to get those under control this week. Down Days, which I am having today, are a breeze.

I'll be back later to post my menu. Wishing everyone a great day!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jessica and I completely agree with your comments!

After my recent success losing another lb. I can see that my DD's are going to be more successful for me if I stick to a regular thing. It will be as follows:

B: tea
L: One fried egg on one slice Julian Bread
D: 5oz lean burger meat with taco seasonings on 2C. shredded lettuce, two cherry tomatoes, 2tsp. shredded cheddar cheese. All for about an even 500 cals.

My UD's are going to have to be more LC (under 50) and around 1200 cals. I don't think I'm going to do a MD but just keep it at the 1200 cal range. That will average me at 900 cals a day with some wiggle room. Damn the torpedoes I'm on a roll! (at least for me)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Go, girl!

Here's my DD menu for Tuesday:

B: 2 slices oroweat lite toast w/ SF spread, 90

L: TJ's chicken jalapeno sausage, 100; WW cheese slice, 45; lettuce, 10

D: frozen "grilled" fish filets (gorton's), 160; "fried" cabbage, 20, lite toast, 40

The fish was a new product for me. I bought it because it listed a specific calorie count for the entire box. I don't do well portioning things out. It was cooked in the microwave. For the cabbage, I "fried" some bagged pre-shredded in a nonstick pan and sprinkled it with some Braggs ACV, salt and pepper.

It was a smelly dinner. But it tasted pretty good.

465 calories
Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Suze for losing the pound. You don't have as much to lose as I do, so it will go more slowly. I will be tickled pink when I get to 165.

DD for me today was spinach artichoke quiche, and two hard boiled eggs, the yolks mashed with 2 ounces of liverwurst (this gives me four "deviled egg" halves) Total calories 450.

In my search for calorie bargains, I found that while 1 square of Lindt 85 has 50 calories, 1 After Eight has 35 calories. I almost feel like I won the lottery.

Jessica, I'm with you on the UD calories. I told myself I would have 1600 calories on UDs, but yesterday before I knew what happened I was up to 1825. I have to work on that. I would consider Suze's 1200 calories to be a successful MD for me.

Pat
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

DD for me today. I'm feeling a little bored with the things I've been eating, so I'm going to go to Trader Joe's after work & see what I can find.

Meanwhile, I'm fasting on tea & water. Feels good.

I'll be back later to commit my menu for dinner.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post

Jessica, I'm with you on the UD calories. I told myself I would have 1600 calories on UDs, but yesterday before I knew what happened I was up to 1825. I have to work on that. I would consider Suze's 1200 calories to be a successful MD for me.

Pat
Yep, Pat, it's a bit of a slippery slope. I have concluded that for the plan to work for me, I need to feel like I'm not on a "diet" on those Up Days. That knowledge, that somehow frees me from what Dr. J calls "diet stress," is how I'm able to be so very restrictive on the Down Days.

And yet I have to continually gently remind myself that because I am in fact not on a diet, I don't have any reason to cram myself full of food on my Up Days--that there's another Up Day just around the corner so I have no need to feel desperate to eat.

So it's a balancing act of not restricting, but not bingeing, and sometimes it can be tricky.

P.S. Loves2, I did exactly the same thing yesterday, though in the regular grocery, not TJ's. I just roamed the aisles looking for very low calorie items I hadn't thought of before, which is how I ended up with my Gorton's fish filets. Variety is good. Have fun!

Last edited by verbqueen; 10-13-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Yep, Pat, it's a bit of a slippery slope. I have concluded that for the plan to work for me, I need to feel like I'm not on a "diet" on those Up Days. That knowledge, that somehow frees me from what Dr. J calls "diet stress," is how I'm able to be so very restrictive on the Down Days.

And yet I have to continually gently remind myself that because I am in fact not on a diet, I don't have any reason to cram myself full of food on my Up Days--that there's another Up Day just around the corner so I have no need to feel desperate to eat.

So it's a balancing act of not restricting, but not bingeing, and sometimes it can be tricky.

P.S. Loves2, I did exactly the same thing yesterday, though in the regular grocery, not TJ's. I just roamed the aisles looking for very low calorie items I hadn't thought of before, which is how I ended up with my Gorton's fish filets. Variety is good. Have fun!

I agree with you, Jessica - about both things.

Not restricting but not bingeing... finding a balance... it's a metaphor for everything in life, isn't it?

And variety is good, especially over the long haul.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Dinner tonight:

container of 0% FAGE yogurt (90 calories)
1/2 C pumpkin (50)
Trader Joe's low-fat Southwestern Salad (170)
3 Hebrew National fat-free hot dogs (120)
3 Ak-Mak whole wheat crackers (66)

Total: 496 calories

Fun for me to have some new DD items.

Take care, all.
Cynthia
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DooneBug
Stats: 232/216/160
WOE: Low Carb/Strength Training
Start Date: August 2010
Second DD.

2 eggs, 2 pieces bacon = 220 calories (have to have full stomach for Metformin)
1 EAS shake = 120 calories
1 carbmaster yogurt = 80 calories

Hot tea, water and Crystal Light until dinner at 8 PM.
DooneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
DD for me and I am feeling a little bit miffed. I weighed myself yesterday morning after my previous DD, and I was UP 1 1/2 pounds. Since yesterday's UD was completely off the charts, I am trying to be especially good today. So far today I have had one chicken frankfurter with a bit of Dijon mustard for 200 calories and I am planning to have the same thing for supper, and tomorrow I must keep my UD a little bit in control.

Cynthia your menu looks fantastic. I can't wait to get to California next month and hit Trader Joe's. What is in the Southwestern salad? Is it all ready to eat as soon as you get home or do you have to wash, spin and prepare?

Pat
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
DD for me and I am feeling a little bit miffed. I weighed myself yesterday morning after my previous DD, and I was UP 1 1/2 pounds. Since yesterday's UD was completely off the charts, I am trying to be especially good today. So far today I have had one chicken frankfurter with a bit of Dijon mustard for 200 calories and I am planning to have the same thing for supper, and tomorrow I must keep my UD a little bit in control.

Cynthia your menu looks fantastic. I can't wait to get to California next month and hit Trader Joe's. What is in the Southwestern salad? Is it all ready to eat as soon as you get home or do you have to wash, spin and prepare?

Pat
Pat, the dressing comes in a separate little container. Everything else is ready. Just toss w/ the dressing and eat.

Remember, day-to-day fluctuations in weight might not reflect actual fat loss. Our bodies sometimes fill depleted fat-storage cells with water and only release that water later.

What actually matters is what happens with your weight over time.

There are some excellent posts about the science behind this elsewhere on lowcarbfriends. If you're interested, you can do a search.

I try to cultivate patience with this process. (I do better on some days than on others...)
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was a DD for me. I had no trouble fasting on water & herb tea during the day, but when I got home, I felt exhausted and simply couldn't go through the process of figuring out a 500-calorie menu plan for dinner.

I'd been up too late the night before, and a couple of other nights this week as well. I was so tired I couldn't think straight.

I ate several things, going well beyond 500 calories, and it looked like I was starting to go into a compulsive-eating binge... but then I told myself the truth, that I was so very tired, and I just went off to bed at about 8 p.m. for the night.

Slept for about 10 hours, and am feeling much better this morning.

Perhaps I'll do better if I plan my DD menus for the whole week on the weekend, rather than on the DDs themselves... Of course, I will also do better if I don't get so tired.

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Cynthia
Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Oh my bad! Today is a DD and I forgot I had switched days and began the AM with heavy cream in my coffee. So, my DD is coming in at 737 calories. You all seem to be working your DD's better than I. After the first two weeks you can go up to 35% at 631 calories, but I'm over because of the cream. Oh, well, it's still low. I'll take what I can get. I agree with Jessica about not having to truly worry about the UD. I do keep in mind that I can't stretch too far though. DH will be home by next weekend and that's when I really have to be vigilant. Have a good weekend all!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Tomorrow will be the last day of my 4th week on JUDDD, so I'm past the first two weeks when Dr. J recommends keeping DD calories under 500.

I used the DD calorie calculator on the website; my DD calories could be raised to 670 or even 750, and still remain in the weight-loss range.

So I'm going to experiment with 600 calories on DDs this week, and see if I continue losing weight.

My menu for tomorrow:

Vegetable Beef Stew - 2 servings (440 calories)
Salad Greens (30)
zero calorie dressing
1 C chopped broccoli (30), steamed
1 container 0% fat FAGE yogurt (90)

Total: 590 calories

The stew recipe is from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, Eat Well, Lose Weight, and has beef chuck roast, butternut squash, onions, garlic, green beans, beef broth, tomato sauce, & spices. If it's good I'll post the recipe on the DD recipes thread.

The JUDDD threads have gotten very quiet... I hope it's because people are out having fun. I'm stuck at home with a grounded teenager and a big pile of dirty laundry.

Oh well, gives me plenty of time to plan my DD menus!

Cynthia
Old 10-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

The stew came out quite delicious.

The recipe called for some cornstarch to thicken the liquid, but I left that out and ate it as a soup instead... That's much better for me in terms of being anti-inflammatory, and it tasted quite good. Also saved a few calories, I guess.

I enjoyed cooking, trying out an interesting recipe from a low-calorie cookbook - but, realistically speaking, I can only do that kind of thing on the weekends. During the week, I need quick-and-easy DD meals, & then I need to get myself out of the kitchen.

Feels good to have an easy DD today.

Feeling a bit lonely around here...
Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Well, lo and behold I'm down another pound! Today is a DD and here's what's to eat:

B: Tea
L: Two slices Seattle Sourdough Bread
Three slices Sara Lee ham
One slice fat free cheddar cheese
One tsp. mayo
D: Can of Progresso Chicken Noodle soup

That is 516 cals. When I get down another 4 lbs. I will truly be a believer because from that point on it's real progress. Gotta get there! DH comes home next weekend and goal is to just maintain.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Hey Cynthia - let us know how the calorie increase is working for ya.
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi guys! I had a super-busy weekend, and didn't have time to get online. But I'm hanging in there--did a DD Saturday despite going out to dinner with the fam (had a piece of charcoal-grilled fish and a salad with no dressing). Down Day again today, and going fine so far.

I am going to be much better about keeping up with posting this week--promise!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:

I am going to be much better about keeping up with posting this week--promise!
haha..you better Jessica!
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Jessica, Suze, & Kel. Glad to see your posts.

DD for me today. I'm going to Boston Market & will have:

5 oz turkey breast (180 calories)
Steamed Veggies (60)
Sweet Corn (170)
Garlic Dill New Potatoes (140)

Total: 550 calories

My goal is 600 calories for DDs this week, but I want to leave a margin when I eat out because portion sizes vary.

I'll report in tomorrow after I weigh in, about whether I am losing weight (so far) on 600 calories for a DD.

Have fun!
Cynthia
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenmay78
Stats: 284.6/236.6/199
WOE: Weight loss surgery/JUDDD
Start Date: June 10, 2013
Hello...I'm a lurker from the HCG thread. I am not a strict protocol HCGer and have been considering giving the JUDDD woe a go. Right now I am cycling calories and I like the up day down day concept. I have been eating 600 cals per day with around 20 carbs while dosing with HHCG. I would like to know how you make your broccoli/cauliflower soup. It sounds yummy.
Jenmay78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmay78 View Post
Hello...I'm a lurker from the HCG thread. I am not a strict protocol HCGer and have been considering giving the JUDDD woe a go. Right now I am cycling calories and I like the up day down day concept. I have been eating 600 cals per day with around 20 carbs while dosing with HHCG. I would like to know how you make your broccoli/cauliflower soup. It sounds yummy.
Hi, Jenmay.

Here's the recipe that Shelly posted on the JUDDD Down-Day Recipes thread:

Brocolli/cauli soup

1 16oz bag of winter mix: brocolli/cauliflower blend
3 medium zucchini
8 oz frozen spinach
1/2 medium onion
1 bag pictsweet sliced frozen squash
2 cups chicken broth
1 can of hot rotel

Cook winter mix, zucchini, spinach, and onion in chicken broth until soft. Puree until desired consistency. Add the can of rotel and the bag of squash and cook until all is heated. I was able to get 6 bowls out of this one. The rotel really gave this a very nice kick. I got the hot with the habanero peppers. Just the one can made the soup nice and spicy!!! Really love it!

47 calories per bowl

When I made it, I used mild rotel and added 1 cup of organic mushroom broth (another 5 calories). It was yummy.

Cynthia
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi gang! Up Day for me. Had a big lunch, so I just ate a very light supper. Looking forward to my DD tomorrow. I still really enjoy the rhythm of the up and down days. I find I look forward to both kinds of days, each in its own way.

Still not planning to weigh till after TOM, so right now I'm just enjoying how great the plan makes me feel, and plugging along uneventfully.

Hope everyone else is doing well and feeling great.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenmay78
Stats: 284.6/236.6/199
WOE: Weight loss surgery/JUDDD
Start Date: June 10, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2sing View Post
Hi, Jenmay.

Here's the recipe that Shelly posted on the JUDDD Down-Day Recipes thread:

Brocolli/cauli soup

1 16oz bag of winter mix: brocolli/cauliflower blend
3 medium zucchini
8 oz frozen spinach
1/2 medium onion
1 bag pictsweet sliced frozen squash
2 cups chicken broth
1 can of hot rotel

Cook winter mix, zucchini, spinach, and onion in chicken broth until soft. Puree until desired consistency. Add the can of rotel and the bag of squash and cook until all is heated. I was able to get 6 bowls out of this one. The rotel really gave this a very nice kick. I got the hot with the habanero peppers. Just the one can made the soup nice and spicy!!! Really love it!

47 calories per bowl

When I made it, I used mild rotel and added 1 cup of organic mushroom broth (another 5 calories). It was yummy.

Cynthia
Cynthia,
Thank you so much. I am going to make this tonight. It sounds super yummy!
-Jen
Jenmay78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I still really enjoy the rhythm of the up and down days. I find I look forward to both kinds of days, each in its own way.

Me too!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

My weight is down 1.5 pounds this morning.

So it seems that 600-calorie DDs are working just fine for me.

I'm really pleased.

And also: Last Friday and Saturday, I didn't follow my JUDDD plan, and my weight went up 1.5 pounds. Then I got back on track, and after just 2 DDs (Sunday & Tuesday) I'd lost that weight.

Corrections like this seem to happen easily on JUDDD.

I love this way of eating!

Smiles,
Cynthia
Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Late night greetings, JUDDD friends! (But it's only 9:56 here on the left coast.)

I had to dine out tonight on my Down Day, and I had some anxiety about it, but I think I did pretty well. I had agreed to be the "date" of a friend of mine whose husband was out of town in a couples' dining out club she belongs to. (They use those Entertainment Books--don't know if you all have them in your local areas, but they contain coupons and also a punch-card that gets you a discount off if you buy two meals. So this group goes to a different restaurant every month that is in the book, and uses the punch cards. You kinda have to go with a partner or you don't get any discount, which is why the friend asked me.)

Anyway, their restaurant this month was Persian, and I ordered a charcoal-grilled fish and shrimp kabob. I ate the fish and shrimp, the onion and green pepper that were on the skewer with them, and the piece of grilled tomato that was on my plate, and left behind the basmati rice. I think I probably came in right on target, so I feel good about that.

Hope to keep tomorrow's Up Day reasonable and sensible.

Cynthia, I've been considering doing the 600 calorie a day thing, too. That is actually the number that the calculator on Dr. J's site gave me, but I wanted to do at least 2 weeks with 500, per instructions. Good to know that it's working out for you. I may give it a try.

Still waiting for TOM; still not weighing. Clothes are fitting well, and at the very least, I know I'm maintaining, and I'm comfortable and content with my food intake. All is good.

Good night!