Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #61
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
WTG Jiggles! Looks great!!!

Suze and hang in there girlfriend! You can make it work for you!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Good weigh-in for me today! New low--just barely, but still!

And just as a "teachable moment," I want to let everyone know my recent experience. After losing steadily for a month on JUDDD, I reached a new low 2 weeks ago, and then my weight shot up FOUR POUNDS--fully half the weight I'd lost returned overnight! It stayed up for the whole 2 weeks, and then suddenly went back to where it was, and is now even a tiny bit lower.

But the point is, I didn't binge or go off plan or really change anything to cause this "gain" to happen. I believe that it was probably water retention, since my fingers were puffy and my rings tight, but I don't know why. Could it have been caused by the return of hay fever--I've been sneezing and sniffling the last 2 weeks. Could it be hormones--my 53 year old body can't decide whether it's in menopause or not? Or something else going on that I haven't even identified?

I also didn't change anything to cause the sudden return to my previous weight. While I thought about doing something drastic during my "bounce-up" weeks, like drastically cutting calories or fasting or something, I ended up just plugging along with my normal JUDDD routine. And in the end, my body corrected itself.

I relate this to encourage everyone not to overreact to scale fluctuations. Leo has pointed out repeatedly that JUDDD results in a lot of day to day drastic ups and downs. It's just the nature of the beast. She warned me early on not to start tweaking and changing too soon, to give the plan time to work for me. I'm glad that I listened.

So trust the plan! Believe that it works in the long run, and don't panic about the short term. Don't be too hasty to ascribe an overnight bounce-up in water weight to something you ate, or didn't eat. Just be steady and stay the course, and it will work!

OK, lecture over. Wishing all of you a great day! Check in and let us know how those DDs are going!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Cynthia, so I have to say it. If you are looking for an anti-inflammatory diet, my first suggestion would be to avoid any and all gluten in any form. I think Ezekiel bread still has gluten in it, doesn't it? In your case, I would also avoid anything with casein in it (most dairy and dairy by products). Those are two HUGE pro-inflammatory items that lead to leaky gut = inflammation. Just sayin...Other than that, your menu looks great. I would be inclined to lose the bread and cottage cheese and go for a whole can of sardines packed in olive oil, not soybean oil or a white flesh fished (lower in calories so more protein bang for your buck). If you do eat sardines and I do - I love them. It's super important to avoid soybean anything but especially soybean oil!!! Soybean oil is always partially hydrogenated and rancid. Always. They deodorize it in order to make it useable but it doesn't alter that the fat is damaged and a transfat = inflammation. This information comes from Mary Enig in her book "Know Your Fats".

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Pooticus.

I don't have any symptoms of gluten intolerance, and I don't think that is part of the inflammation response for me. Thanks for mentioning it, though. If I hadn't already researched that possibility, I'd have appreciated the pointer.

I have eaten Ezekiel sprouted grain bread for many years and it agrees with me quite well. In the past, these sprouted whole grains have been the only grains I ate while successfully losing & maintaining my weight.

I want to eat the Ezekiel bread on my down day. I enjoy it and find it satisfying, for very few calories.

Same thing for the cottage cheese. My body likes all kinds of cultured or fermented dairy products.

Of course, YMMV. A lot of this depends on our genetic make-up.

As to the sardines, I buy wonderful, delicious ones from Vital Choice, packed in olive oil, imported from Portugal... I agree with you, soybean oil is not good stuff!

Unhealthy fats are very dangerous and pro-inflammatory. I will be very, very careful with my fats.

So far (it's 12:45 p.m.) this down day has been a breeze.

Take care, everyone.
loves2sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post

And just as a "teachable moment," I want to let everyone know my recent experience. After losing steadily for a month on JUDDD, I reached a new low 2 weeks ago, and then my weight shot up FOUR POUNDS--fully half the weight I'd lost returned overnight! It stayed up for the whole 2 weeks, and then suddenly went back to where it was, and is now even a tiny bit lower.

But the point is, I didn't binge or go off plan or really change anything to cause this "gain" to happen. I believe that it was probably water retention, since my fingers were puffy and my rings tight, but I don't know why. Could it have been caused by the return of hay fever--I've been sneezing and sniffling the last 2 weeks. Could it be hormones--my 53 year old body can't decide whether it's in menopause or not? Or something else going on that I haven't even identified?

I also didn't change anything to cause the sudden return to my previous weight. While I thought about doing something drastic during my "bounce-up" weeks, like drastically cutting calories or fasting or something, I ended up just plugging along with my normal JUDDD routine. And in the end, my body corrected itself.

I relate this to encourage everyone not to overreact to scale fluctuations. Leo has pointed out repeatedly that JUDDD results in a lot of day to day drastic ups and downs. It's just the nature of the beast. She warned me early on not to start tweaking and changing too soon, to give the plan time to work for me. I'm glad that I listened.

So trust the plan! Believe that it works in the long run, and don't panic about the short term. Don't be too hasty to ascribe an overnight bounce-up in water weight to something you ate, or didn't eat. Just be steady and stay the course, and it will work!

OK, lecture over. Wishing all of you a great day! Check in and let us know how those DDs are going!

Thanks, Jessica. This is really helpful.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #65
the condiment queen

Jessica!!!! Woooot!!!! I'm so thrilled for you girl!!!! Seriously thrilled! and thanks so much for this insight and for sharing your experience with us! I know the feeling of just wanting to gnaw your leg off to achieve results!!

Cynthia - wasn't trying to butt into you business, but respectfully, I disagree with you. I won't waste your time trying to persuade you to my viewpoint. It actually isn't "mine". There are a couple of guys who are prolific bloggers (Peter at Hyperlipid and Stefan over at Whole Health Source) who write much more eloquently than I can along with a whole community of paleo physicians like Dr. Eades and Dr. Cordain who can explain the pro-inflammatory effects of gluten and casein on all of western civilization, celiac or not - especially if you are of Anglican or Northern European descent. I wouldn't have even gotten into your business and discussed the way you choose to eat but I thought you were asking for advice and since I deal with chronic inflammation and chronic pain, I felt like I could relate and share some information. No problem

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Pooticus, as I wrote above, I appreciate your taking the time to try and be helpful to me.

What I wrote is my own experience.

I don't see how you can disagree with that, respectfully or otherwise.

There are many theories about nutrition. For every so-called authority you could bring up, I could easily find many others who hold the opposite theory.

With so many conflicting so-called authorities out there, the thing that makes the most sense to me is for a person to see what happens with her body, to see what seems to work for her.

I certainly respect your right to choose the "authorities" you agree with, the nutrition theories that seem to work for you. I hope you will offer me the same kind of respect.

When I asked for feedback about my menu for today, I was asking for JUDDD feedback. That's why I came to this thread.

Thanks for caring enough to write.

Last edited by loves2sing; 09-20-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: fix typo
Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2sing View Post
So far (it's 12:45 p.m.) this down day has been a breeze.

Take care, everyone.
This was my experience with my first Down Day, too. It was far, far easier than I had imagined it would be.

Glad it's going well!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Jessica on getting to low weight.

I'm trying something new for tomorrow (and Friday's) down days. I made one of Linda Sue's spinach mushroom quiches. By cutting the cheese down to six ounces and replacing the heavy cream with half and half, it comes out to 140 calories per serving. I just took it out of the oven, and it looks good enough to eat. Since I don't mind eating the same thing over and over, I plan to have three servings for my meals tomorrow and again on Friday.

Pat
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

For those Down Days, I am a firm believer in DO WHAT WORKS! Sounds good to me, Pat!

My Down Day for TuesdayL

B: 2 slices orowheat lite toast, 80; TJ's chicken jalapeno sausage, 100
L: green salad with 7 medium cooked shrimp, no dressing, 100 (at disneyland)
D: green salad with 8 medium cooked shrimp, no dressing, 100 (also at disneyland--different restaurant, but it was the lightest thing on the menu.)
S: 1 slice light toast, 40

Total: App. 420

Last edited by verbqueen; 09-21-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #70
the condiment queen

Pat sweetie, congratulations on your loss!!!! That's fantastic and on also, congrats on sticking to it for a week!!!! Remember the longest journey begins with one step!!!! Pretty soon your weeks and pounds lost will add up!!! Your menus sound fabulous and I love how you eek every mile out of your 500 cal allotment. You are inspiring me!!

Jessica I loveee shrimp and your menu sounds so yummy. Hope you had an awesome time at Disneyland! WTG on being able to go to a place like that and eat out while staying on plan girl! Inspiration!!! So thrilled for you about your new low weight btw!!

Sorry not to post my Monday DD menu yesterday but work was really massive and I only had a few minutes at a time to read and run! LOL!

Monday, Sept 20 DD Menu: 513cals, 28g F (50%), 31g C (24%), 33.5g P (25%)

B: Decaff Coffee, black, unsweetened
L: Water
D: 3 c Salad Leaves (spinach, spring mix, romaine) (28)
1/2c Cucumber (8)
Dressing (2Tbsp Yogurt, 1 Tbsp ACV, 1tsp Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp Water) (61)
Turkey Meatloaf (245)
7 oz Broccoli (raw meas) (67)
1/2 Tbsp Butter (51)
BS: 1 square Lindt 85% Chocolate

(Next DD is today, Wednesday!)

So I know this probably isn't the smartest thing for me to do...eating one huge meal at the end of the day, but psychologically, I do so much better with simply fasting during the day while I'm busy with work, then being able to sit down and have a 450 calorie meal with my husband that is a HUGE meal! I was too full after eating this. I will cut down to about 4 oz of broccoli next time and maybe even cut the meatloaf serving in half. The turkey meatloaf I make has tons of veggies in it and so I get 2 big slices (1/4 of a loaf pan) for the 245 calories. It's quite a bargain!

Congrats to everyone - we are doing great!!!

Last edited by pooticus; 09-22-2010 at 06:05 AM..
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Poot, any chance of having the recipe for the turkey meatloaf? I am all in favor of big, meaty servings of 245 calories.

Pat
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #72
the condiment queen

Yes, let me go get it and I will post it on the JUDDD menu board. I heart it!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #73
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Jessica, you just reminded me about the shrimp I have in the freezer. I should thaw that out for my DD tomorrow.

I made it through my 2nd DD. It was a little tougher than the 1st and towards the end of the day I felt like I wouldn't be able to stick to it but then I had dinner and seemed to feel better about it.

My menu yesterday was:

1 Slimfast (sipped throughout the work day) - 190
D: 4 oz chicken breast - 110
1/2 tbsp. champagne honey mustard dip (I cooked it on the chicken) - 20
Spinach salad:
2 c. spinach 10
4 black olives 25
1/2 c. cucumbers 7
1/2 c. cherry tomatos 14
1 tbsp. light dressing 25
S: 1 apple 80

Total: 481 calories

I think tomorrow I'm going to have a little more food during the day instead of so much at night. I got mild headaches on my DDs which I'm guessing is from not eating enough during the day. So, I'll change it up a bit and see if that helps.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #74
the condiment queen

Jiggles hang in there. I had a fair amount of hunger in the beginning. Now that I'm in the third week, I just kind of ignore it and it goes away. But again, if you are getting headaches, then I do think a bit of protein or fat would help you!

Pat, I realized that my counts on the meatloaf were off! I thought the package only held 20oz and it held 40oz of turkey meat! But still it comes out to only 281cals per serving if you then make it into 10 pieces instead of 8. You could really probably get 6 servings out of each loaf but as I've said, I like big servings. Hope you like it. Be sure to take the time to drain off the liquid and make the gravy. It's awesome on the turkey!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post

Jessica thank you for sharing!! WTG on the new low!!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

I love my DD's.

EAS shake sip all morning french vanilla mixed with pumkin spice (Yummy)

EAS shake at lunch

Dinner will be a large salad with balsamic vinagar and what ever calories I have left on protein.

My UD are the challege. Poots you mentioned a MD?? I do not think I can handle that at all.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #77

I think I may have to try the french vanilla with pumpkin spice. That sounds good!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

I didn't sleep well last night, too much on my mind. So I'm feeling very tired now... In a few minutes, I'll leave my classroom & head for the chiropractor, then home.

It's a DD today, & I haven't eaten anything yet, just had several cups of tea.

I'm tempted to go to Boston Market, get a dinner for under 500 calories, then go home & get right into bed... My daughter is having dinner w/ her father tonight, so I don't have to cook for her.

Boston Market has calorie counts & ingredients for all of their menu items on their website. For 440 calories, I could get:

5 oz roast turkey breast
fresh steamed vegetables
green beans
garlic dill new potatoes

It's not ideal for me, because the green beans & the potatoes are cooked w/ an oil blend that includes soybean oil and they also have corn syrup in their ingredient lists.

But, while less than ideal, this may be the best I can do for today... I think it's about as good as it gets for lowish-priced American restaurant food, and a whole lot better than a fast-food burger and fries.

And, in terms of JUDDD, it would be a fine menu for a DD.

Of course the calorie counts won't be precisely right, since serving sizes vary, but there's a good margin between 440 and 500.

I might do this. <yawn>

Last edited by loves2sing; 09-22-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #79

You have me wishing there was a Boston Market around here.

So, yesterday I didn't think I'd make it through the DD and now I'm kind of looking forward to it tomorrow. Weird! Although I may not feel the same way when my stomach is rumbling tomorrow. LOL Maybe having a little more around lunchtime will help with that though.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #80
the condiment queen

Woooohooooo! I'm down to 261.2 this morning!! I've been trying an experiment so far this week. Last week I ate more beef and pork and didn't lose very well (of course I was also coming off that enourmous binge too), this week I'm eating chicken and turkey and have lost a lot (I know a lot of it is water but the fact is I was retaining water I guess the week before). So I'm thrilled beyond measure. I've unofficially lost 10.6lbs since Sept. 1 and that NEVER HAPPENS WITH ME! Yeah, I'm screaming! Never! I'm losing like a regular person! With minimal deprivation!

Wednesday DD Menu: 427cal, 19.4g F (41%), 27.1g C (25%), 9.3g Fiber, 36.8g P (34%)

L: 1/2 Vanilla Protein Iced Coffee w/1 Tbsp Coconut Milk (80)
D: 1 Turkey Stuffed Bell Pepper (216)
1 Salad (1.5c Rom, 1c Spin, .5c Cucumber, 1/8c Pur Onion, 1/8c Red Bell Pepper,
1/8c Feta Cheese, Walden Farm Calorie Free Bacon Dressing) (80)
BS: 1 Square Lindt 85% Cacao Chocolate (52)

(Next DD Friday, September 24)
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #81

That's great! Congrats!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

I did eat at Boston Market yesterday, exactly as I posted above.

The food was fast and tasted pretty good.

I'm glad to have a fall-back for down days when I need to be able to eat out.

Wishing everyone a good day today,
Cynthia
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome Pooticus!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #84

Made it through my 3rd DD. I thought it was getting a little easier but around 3:00 I got the feeling of just wanting to go home and eating everything in the house. I didn't and once I ate something around 6 I felt better about the day. Good thing is that I didn't get a headache today because I ate some real food around noon.

Here's my menu for the day:

Morning: Sipped 5 oz. of an EAS shake (55)
L: 3 oz. cocktail shrimp (77)
1 tbsp. cocktail sauce (15)
Afternoon: Diet Lipton Green Tea (0)
3:15: 1/2 c. cucumbers (7)
6:00 4 oz chicken breast 110
1/2 tbsp champagne honey mustard dip (20)
7:45: 1 snack size bag of popcorn (100)
SN: 1/2 c. strawberries (23)
1/2 tbsp. chocolate syrup (25)

Total: 432 calories

I wasn't going to have a snack at the end of the day but I had a bad craving for chocolate. Instead of derailing my day I went for the strawberries & a bit of choc. syrup and that really helped.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Jiggles, you are doing great!

DD for me tomorrow.

I intend to fast during the day (lots of water & tea), then eat for dinner:

1 can Vital Choice albacore tuna (200 cal)
2 Ryvita rye & oat bran crispbread (80 cal)
2 C chopped cabbage, steamed (45 cal)
2 C shredded lettuce (20 cal)
1 T Bragg's dressing (45 cal)
medium apple (75 cal)

Total: 465 calories

Goodnight, JUDDDers.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Everybody is doing so well! Your down days look great. It's amazing how much quality food you can get for 500 cals if you are thoughtful about your choices--and it certainly makes you think about how many calories you take in accidentally, when you aren't eating mindfully, that you don't actually even get any satisfaction from!

My DD menu for Thursday:

B: 2 slices Oroweat light toast, black coffee; 80
L: 2 cups raw spinach, 8 medium grilled shrimp, 1 T. balsamic vinegar; 85
D: 1/2 apple, 1 c. grilled chicken breast, 1 c. lettuce, 1/2 nectarine 300

465 total
Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations to all the losers.

Todays DD menu is to have the other half of Linda Sue's spinach mushroom quiche that I started on Wednesday. It is really good and satisfying. Three slices, with a few modifications, come to 420 calories and I have 50 calories left to play with. On Wednesday my 50 calorie "reward" was 1/2 tablespoon of natural peanut butter. I haven't decided how I will reward myself today. It's a toss up between one square of Lindt 85 chocolate or a small glass of red wine.

Hope everybody has a great weekend.

Pat
Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #88
the condiment queen

Gosh everybody's menus look GREAT!!!!!!! Such imagination and good variety. Great density and nutrition too!

Today is a down day for me and then my birthday weekend celebration starting tonight. *gulp* Please pray for me that I don't go hog wild. I am making my own dessert (lowcarb tiramisu and lowcarb key lime pie). That won't be a problem. Where I get into trouble is with the appetizers and wine of course! Tonight as a down day it will be a pretty austere dinner (eating out) - grilled fish and a salad, maybe a touch of steamed broccoli and 1 glass of wine only. Tomorrow is weigh-in day so I hope that will keep me focused!!!!

all around!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #89
the condiment queen

Morning everyone. Yesterday was a DD for me and I did well until dinner.

This is my birthday celebration weekend with my family (in from out of town). And we didn't end up eating until 10:30pm last night! Late even by my late eating standards. So it was a full 26 hour fast yesterday for me. I was STARVING by the time we ate.

I don't have any of the counts but I know it was probably more of a MD or maybe even an UD. I'm not gonna attempt to plug it into ****** guess it would all be guesses.

Friday's DD Menu Screwup for Accountability: no numbers cuz of restaurant

L: Water
D: 1 Glass Chianti
1-1/2 Glasses Chardonnay with dinner
2 Cheese and jalapeno nachos
8 Tortilla Chips with Green Salsa
6-7oz Grilled Swai with Shrimp, Scallops, Crap and Bell Pepper topping in lemon butter
sauce
1/2 c Steamed Veggies (Cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, yellow squash, bell pepper)

I would have done fine except for the wine and chips but even that was somewhat of a victory because I would usually have a whole basket of chips in the old days and have a couple more glasses of wine. For some unearthly reason I still saw a drop on the scale to 260.4lbs. I'm on it like white on rice!

Please pray that I don't completely blow my diet today...
Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

You did fine, Poot. I think the body responds to a high calorie day now and then, so you may have even helped the cause.

Now relax and enjoy your birthday weekend!