Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #241
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Happy Birthday, Pooticus!!

(How do you people know??)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Leo Go to the front page of the Bulletin Board and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and you will see the birthday people. They have to have posted their birthday in their profile in order for it to show up.

Pooticus:
Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #243
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Poot! Happy, happy day to you, my friend! Hope it's glorious!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #244
Senior LCF member

Thanks, Redeemed.

I'm glad you're still with us, even though you're losing without us!

I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I didn't do my scheduled DD, but I'm doing one today. It occurred to me that's another nice thing about JUDDD. On other plans, when people go 'off,' they seem to struggle to get back on [from what I read on the ML and elsewhere], but with JUDDD, it's so easy to just do a DD the very next day and get right back.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Leo: I like what you said about jumping back on if you go "off" your DD. Did that this week. The other days were sketchy, really up or just moderate. Lost one pound though!

Poot: Happy B-Day!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #246
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi everyone and thank you for the birthday wishes!!! We had a great day - now it's off to make a quick dinner!

Leo hope you feel better soon!

to all!!!! (I'm having my UD today and I'm totally on plan and within cal limits so far! Woot! Gotta love this WOE!)
Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #247
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Happy b-day Pooticus!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
I'm on my way out the door Sunday morning....weighed in at 255.5 this morning. Don't know what my weigh in here was last week but for the Daily Weigher thread that's a loss of 2lb since last Saturday!

Have a good week all and I'll check back in here on the 27th!!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #249
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-
Even if you don't see this because you've left for your marvelous vacation, CONGRATULATIONS on that great loss!

Weekly Weigh In
Since I did a DD yesterday (instead of my usual Friday), I weighed this morning and was down a pound. That keeps me on target for 'maintaining' this month at about 161. I've done so many different things this month (higher DD, low DD, higher UDs, etc.) that I'm still not sure how I will finally maintain, but I know that JUDDD will be IT for me. Nothing helps me control my eating and weight like JUDDD.

By the way, I seem to have shaken off that incipient cold (and lost the bloat that came with it), and I credit that to healthy eating--and perhaps the fact that I've been supplementing with Vit D, since my level was low last year. I saw a recent report that said an optimum level of Vit. D was better than flu shots for warding off the flu, and I wonder if it does the same to protect against the common cold as well?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #250

Good morning! Well, it's my start date and my first DD. So far all I've had is water. I'm trying to hold off on having anything for a little while.

I ended up getting some EAS shakes (although I didn't care for the last flavor I tried but I went with a different one this time) and a pack of Slimfast shakes. I wanted to get the low carb ones because the sugar is lower but I couldn't find them so I had to get the regular ones. I didn't have time to check all the stores though so I will look again next weekend.

Hopefully I'm not too tempted by the fridge today since I'm home. At least my SO is gone until late today so I won't have to make any meals for him which should help.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #251
Senior LCF member

Good luck with your DD, jiggles!

Since I drink tea plain, I've found that hot tea is a great way to keep hunger away on DDs--0 calories. I tend to drink it all afternoon!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

I seriously need some advice and reinforcement. Yesterday was a MD 1300 cals, and I weighted 165 when I weighed in the AM. When I went to bed I weighed 167. Today, which may end up being another MD, I weighed exactly what I weighed last night. Tomorrow is a DD. I don't know what to do, and I'm not making any real headway. For not eating a lot the returns are just plain *&%!!%. One or two pounds a week I can live with but when it goes up and down with the same two I just want to throw in the towel.

Got any help out there please?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Suze, since I've been juddding for less than a week, I can't give you any advice, but I can send you a . I hope after a couple of more down days the scale will begin to move down again.

Jiggles, I hope your first day is going smoothly.

Leo, on the pound down.

Pat
Old 09-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
I'm thinking about joining you

Hi, I'm Cynthia, 56 years old. I live about 25 miles east of San Francisco.

(Hi, verbqueen! You look lovely in your most recent pictures.)

Late last December, I began an Atkins 72 by-the-book induction. By early February, I had lost about 10 pounds, but I was in a lot of pain with arthritis in my hands.

I'd had only a twinge or two of this arthritis in the past... I did some research and began to read about the impact of inflammation on our health. It seems that, for me, Atkins 72 was highly pro-inflammatory and therefore not a healthy way for me to eat.

Since then I've been searching for a plan of eating where I will lose weight and also cool down the inflammation.

Today I weigh one pound more than when I stopped following Atkins 72.

I tried an anti-inflammatory diet that my chiropractor gave me, and it helped quite a bit with the arthritis but I didn't have any weight loss.

I tried alternate-day fasting for a few weeks, where I had only water and tea on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. This was the best I've tried for being free of pain in my hands, but it was challenging to sustain. I saw some weight loss using this approach, and I may end up doing it again.

For the last few weeks, I've been following Fast-5. This isn't working as well for my inflammation; I'm in a fair bit of pain this morning. Also, my weight loss is extremely slow. I eat a lot during the 5-hour window, so I don't think I'm getting the benefits of calorie restriction on this plan.

I'm wondering if JUDDD might work well for me, if the down days would give me the anti-inflammatory benefits without having to fast for those days.

I bought the book & have started reading about the science behind the plan. Apparently Fast-5 does not activiate my SIRT1 gene, but the alternate-day fasting may have done it.

So I'm considering joining you on JUDDD.

Last edited by loves2sing; 09-19-2010 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: fix a typo
Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #255

Welcome Cynthia. I'm new too and the people here have a lot of great info and advice.

Well, so far today I've had about 8 oz. of a Slimfast shake. I've been putting a little bit in a glass at a time and the taste isn't too bad (I think the can is what actually makes the stuff taste bad). I've also had water (more than I usually drink on a Sunday), some diet Lipton green tea and less than half a bottle of Diet Coke. I have a dull hunger feeling but I'm not starving. I don't really feel any more tired than usual so that's good. I was going to have an EAS shake later today but I think I might go for some real food instead (I'll make sure to track the calories). I feel a bit deprived today (I think I might just miss chewing on something) so I think having some real food will help.

I even made some zucchini bread today and didn't even "test" the batter. I'm not even feeling bad that I can't eat any today because I know I can have a piece tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cynthia. I hope you do decide to join us.

At the risk of sounding simple, have you tried apple cider vinegar for your arthritis. I take a tablespoonful in a glass of water with a little stevia twice a day, and it has been very effective for the pain I had in my hands.

Pat
Old 09-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #257
Senior LCF member

Suze-
How often are you weighing? Most of us have found that on JUDDD we have much bigger fluctuations (water issues) than with other types of plans. I've learned to weigh only once a week, usually same day, same time, and always after a DD. That way I get a consistent comparison with my numbers.

When I've given in to temptation and weighed in the middle of a week, I've seen the scale go up as much as 5 lbs! That's dispiriting and the reason I wait the full week.

Even with weekly weighing, my loss has not been linear, and there have been weeks where I showed no loss at all, although my monthly losses have been consistent (which is why I keep a record of my weight on a calendar to see what the patterns are--that's saved me from getting really upset at the scale numbers sometimes).

Hi Cynthia-Welcome!
I'm interested in your anti-inflammatory diet because I have severe osteoarthritis, and after over 20 years on meds, I now control my pain with diet and exercise by eating an anti-inflammatory diet. I take no meds for pain, and have eliminated most of my pain through diet.

First of all, I supplement with fish oil (now Krill oil) to make sure that I keep up my omega 3s--that's important to reducing inflammation. In addition, I eat more fish than meat, and my limited red meat is only grass fed. I also eat only egg whites. Both red meat and egg yolks are highly inflammatory.

I eat almost no processed food (canned tuna and mayo mostly), and I have been eating low carb for years. I eat very, very simply and cleanly--mainly fish or meat (poached or broiled) and veggies sauteed in olive oil. If I have soup, it's homemade because I'm very sensitive to MSG and other 'additives' in processed food.

Sugar is incredibly inflammatory, and times when I've had an "indulgence" (for example, a piece of birthday cake), I will be in pain the next morning. So I rarely have sugar in any form, including artificial sweeteners.

All this helped me lose weight, but I've also had to restrict calories for weight loss, and that's why I do JUDDD.

How does this compare to what you've been doing?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Leo: What a great yet simple suggestion! Somehow I always have to get on the scale every AM and maybe I'm just not letting myself balance properly.

Cynthia: Welcome! Having joint pain isn't new to me but I personally found that moving from Nevada to the Pacific Northwest really aggravated the ole' joints. I use Move On from Walgreens that I think helps but diet doesn't seem to impact one way or another. The weather has more effect than anything else!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Leo: What you wrote about an anti-inflammatory diet is pretty close to my own understanding.

The most important items for me: No sugar and no artificial sweeteners, no white flour foods, no starchy fillers like corn starch, no unhealthy fats. Minimal red meat. (I hadn't heard about egg yolks being pro-inflammatory.)

I used to drink a lot of diet coke (w/ aspartame). I miss the "bite" of diet coke, but I've experimented with it and my arthritis flares up when I drink it. So now I'm enjoying many flavors of tea, sparkling water (plain or with natural fruit flavoring) - and I've just found Zevia, no calorie soda sweetened with stevia.

I take fish oil, too, wild Alaskan salmon oil from Vital Choice. Also vitamin D and co-Q10.

Interesting, what you wrote about reacting to an "indulgence." Yesterday I has a salad from the grocery store with an oil-based dressing, probably not a healthy oil, and I had something with sugar in it. I'd been allowing myself a "treat" once a week, to avoid feeling deprived - but it may have caused the flare-up in my hands today.

Thanks for the input.

SuzeQ: What I eat seems to have an enormous impact on the pain in my hands... It's a case of YMMV, I guess... The weather doesn't seem to have any effect on this for me.

Last edited by loves2sing; 09-19-2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Posted before I finished writing it, somehow. :-)
Old 09-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #260
Senior LCF member

Cynthia-
This may be only me, but I'm also very sensitive to food additives--especially MSG. So restaurant food will often be a problem, but that might just be my constitution.

If you're not losing eating as you do, then you are probably in my situation. No matter how low carb I eat, I have to restrict calories. Most of the problem is my age (69) and the fact that I'm also hypothyroid. Trying to eat at about 1000 cal on a daily basis was too frustrating, but I've been easily able to 'average' that via JUDDD.

What's great about JUDDD is that even people who can eat higher calories seem to lose (after being stalled). There's something about the cycling that helps. As you've read, the low DDs are the equivalent (for the body) of fasting, and that may be the key.

I'm too neurotic for anything like Fast 5 because just the thought that I 'can't' eat will make me hungry! With JUDDD, even on a DD, I always know that I can have another 50 cal if I need it, and so that's not a problem for me.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #261

Good morning. I made it through my first DD. I had 404 calories. The calculator said I should be at 369 but I was just shooting for under 500. I felt hungry all day but not like I was starving. When I went to bed I had a slight headache which I think maybe have been from not eating much. I'm hoping that doesn't happen all the time. I'll just see how the other 2 DDs go this week. I did think about food and eating (well, not eating) all day long but that was probably because it was the first day and I'm obviously not used to that (plus I was at home where I had more free time). The up side is that I don't feel like eating everything I can get my hands on today.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #262
Senior LCF member

Congratulations, jiggles!

You were so worried and got through that DD so well! I read on the other thread that you actually baked as well? If so, that's 'superhuman.' I try not to cook or be around food at all on my DDs. Those of you who have to prepare a meal for family have my utmost respect.

Don't worry about the calorie number so long as you manage to stay at 500 or below. Once you're doing this for about 2 weeks, it will be relatively easy to shave a few calories off to get to your calculator number.

Some people don't even bother with the calculator number if they're losing at 500 cal.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Everyone!

Cynthia:Isn't the painful fingers thing a drag? Sometimes it just comes on for no apparent reason, and I've always attributed it to weather. For many years I lived on the beach in Orange County and noticed that some of my home buyers(worked for a builder)migrated to Scottsdale every winter. They said it was for their joints. Maybe the combination of no gluten and the desert will do the trick for me. We'll see. Meanwhile why don't you try the bread from Julian Bakery? I use their LC bread and it's just great. Just go to Julian Bakery Bread- Low Carb bread, Wheat-free bread, and gluten free bread bakery. and take a look. I hope it's OK to link a product.

Today's a DD for me. I am cooking Redeemed's hamburger recipe. Also not weighing so much as it definitely frustrates me.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Congratulations, jiggles!

You were so worried and got through that DD so well! I read on the other thread that you actually baked as well? If so, that's 'superhuman.' I try not to cook or be around food at all on my DDs. Those of you who have to prepare a meal for family have my utmost respect.

Don't worry about the calorie number so long as you manage to stay at 500 or below. Once you're doing this for about 2 weeks, it will be relatively easy to shave a few calories off to get to your calculator number.

Some people don't even bother with the calculator number if they're losing at 500 cal.
Thanks Leo.

Yup, I baked and didn't even "test" the batter which is not like me. LOL I put one loaf in the freezer. I cut up the other loaf and hid a few pieces for myself just in case my SO decided to snarf the rest of it up when he got home. I think telling myself that I could have some tomorrow helped a lot.

I think I'm just going to shoot for staying under 500 calories and see how that goes. That way I won't feel bad for eating over my calculator amount but if I happen to meet that mark then great.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #265
Senior LCF member

Yes, jiggles, most of us have found that when hunger or a specific craving or temptation hits on a DD, just saying to onself, "I'll have that tomorrow" almost instantly solves the problem! And the amazing part is that the next day, we often don't bother to have the stuff we were so eager to eat.

It shows how much of this weight loss business is psychological.

I think that one of the great benefits of JUDDD is in eliminating feelings of deprivation because no matter what I tell myself that I really, really want, I know I can have it within 24 hours.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello JUDDers-

Bet you thought I had quit. I am finally back to normal. I was never really SICK, just uneasy. I would fix something to eat and then my stomach would rumble and I would think "I better not eat that". I had UD and DD, but not on my normal schedual. Anyway, I am back to my low weight for the month so I am content.

Sounds like most of you are doing well. Lots of new people. Welcome to our new friends. This plan works even if your calories aren't perfect. I tend to be a little over the 500 on DD and am still losing.

Just wanted to check in and let you all know I haven't given up.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mornin' all,

It's my one week anniversary and I'm down 1 1/2 pounds. I'm a bit underwhelmed, but a loss is a loss is a loss. The bright side of the week is that this is the first plan I have actually followed for a whole week in a long time. It's coming here every day and reading all your positive, supportive posts that has made that possible. I'm starting week two with optimism (and Greek yogurt with blueberries and walnuts).

Thank you all for great support.

Pat
Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #268
Senior LCF member

Hi Sally-
Glad you're feeling better! I didn't think you'd left us; often 'life' interferes with people posting. Good to hear from you.

Pat-
That is good loss! Keep in mind that scientists say that the most fat the human body can lose in a week is 2 lbs! When you read of (or experience) losses that are far greater, like 5-6 lbs, two things could be happening. The first is a water loss.

The body retains water for a variety of reasons (that we can't control), and in the weight loss process, it sometimes fills empty fat cells with water to preserve its equilibrium. That's why you sometimes can see NO scale loss despite eating faithfully according to plan. Eventually, the body has to dump that water, and so you see a big loss on the scale, but only a portion of that is fat. The rest is fat you've already lost that was masked by the water retention. That's the reason why weight loss is rarely linear. The body sees loss as a negative and tries to retain its weight with this water retention.

The other explanation for big losses is more negative. If people go on extreme diets (very, very low calorie and low fat), they will 'lose,' but without sufficient protein, the body will absorb its own muscles for energy. So a weekly loss of 5 lbs might be 2 lbs of fat and 3 lbs of muscle!

So be happy with your loss, Pat. It's just perfect!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #269

Congrats on the loss, Pat!

Well, today is my 2nd DD. All I've had so far is water. I have some slight hunger, but I don't plan on cracking open my Slimfast until later this morning. I also brought a 1/2 cup of a cut up cucumber in case I feel like I need something to chew. At least where I work I have to bring my lunch with me. There's a restaurant open nearby (only open in the summer season) but I rarely go there so it's not tempting. There isn't even a food vending machine near me.

Last night I figured out what I could make for dinner tonight. Chicken breasts & spinach salad. I haven't told my SO that I'm doing this yet and a meal like that won't make him suspect anything.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Pat! I hope I will follow in your footsteps this week!

My first down day was easy yesterday. I had a few thoughts of eating more food, but I reminded myself about being able to eat "tomorrow," and turned my attention to something else.

Have a good day, everyone!
Cynthia
Closed Thread