Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
wow I did not know the protein broke down!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Jiggles....I like Atkins Advantage shakes....especially Dark Chocolate Royale. But it's 160 calories. I usually have one on hand if I'm going to be out and about on a DD and take it in a cooler with me in the car....very rarely use them on a regular basis. I do sip it slowly, but probably consume it within an hour's time and it's very filling!!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #213
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Pooticus-
I have never, ever heard that about the protein in shakes--and a read a board where a lot of athletes use shakes a great deal for supplementary protein. Granted, there are a lot of things I don't know, but I would think I would have heard something about this at some time.

In fact, I contacted one of the mfgs. of my protein powder once because I liked making 'pancakes' with the powder and egg whites. I asked about the heating process, and they told me that was the only thing that affected their powder--i.e., I would not get the complete benefit from the protein; however, there was nothing 'dangerous' about the process as long as I realized that heating would lessen the nutritional value.

I don't understand how what you're saying can be accurate when you consider pre-packaged shakes. The liquid makes contact way, way before you ever open the carton. Do you mean that all these shakes are no good?

Since I stopped using shakes a long time ago, I have no vested interest in this subject, but it just seems odd--that's all I'm saying.

Last edited by Leo41; 09-15-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
Jiggles....I like Atkins Advantage shakes....especially Dark Chocolate Royale. But it's 160 calories. I usually have one on hand if I'm going to be out and about on a DD and take it in a cooler with me in the car....very rarely use them on a regular basis. I do sip it slowly, but probably consume it within an hour's time and it's very filling!!
Try the EAS low carb shakes. They are only 110calories. The dark chocolate is awesome. I get it at the health food store but you can order it from netrition.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #215
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Leo I don't know. You will have to ask them.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Just a quick good morning to everybody, even though you are all deeply asleep now. Am I the only expat Judder?

After two days and one breakfast of upping and downing, I think I will really like this WOE. I even managed to avoid the late night snacking last night by telling myself that I could have whatever I wanted today. Fortunately, I wanted Greek yogurt with flaxmeal, cinnamon and walnuts, so right now I am feeling full and almost virtuous.

Hope all your ups and downs are good ones.

Pat
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlyann11
Cooked egg whites are denatured protein and people think eggs rock.

What would be the difference?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #218
Senior LCF member

I did a little research of my own, and it seems (see below) that 'denatured protein' is nothing to worry about--so go ahead an sip your shakes on DDs!

What Is a Denatured Protein?
There are many different forms of protein that you can consume. Soy protein, for instance, is a fast protein that supplies you with plenty of protein. However, it does not offer many benefits to bodybuilders. Whey Protein Isolate, on the other hand, is known to taste better than other forms of protein and is easier for you to digest in the stomach (and, no surprise here, it also costs more than most other types of protein!). A denatured protein is slightly different than both of these though.

Denatured protein is also known as a whey hydrolyzed protein. When you hydrolyze a protein, what you're doing is basically changing the structure of the protein permanently. The peptide bonds that are present in protein are broken. However, despite the change in the structure of the protein, denatured protein still contains all of the amino acids that are found in other forms of whey protein. As a result, denatured proteins are still nutritionally beneficial. They are especially beneficial to bodybuilders who use denatured proteins. They help aid in protein absorbance and protein digestion since the protein is already broken down.

In essence, a denatured protein is already broken up before entering the body as opposed to being broken up in the stomach by acids. Therefore, it is still helpful to you if you are looking to give your protein levels a boost.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #219
the condiment queen

Hi everyone have a great day!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Everyone. Today is my last day at my uncles and I really want to go home!! I miss my kids and hubby alot. Weight up this morning but yesterday was an UD and I woke up in the middle night screaming for a glass of water. Something I ate must of been full of salt.

Leo thanks for looking that up for me. I do like to just sip my drink all morning. It kinda get through till late afternoon. Its also been working and I would hate to change it.

WTG pat! I really like it too.

Morning pooticus.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #221
Senior LCF member

Glad you're getting to go home soon, Jodi. It was nice of you to fill in, but I'm sure your husband and children miss you, too.

I find in my old age that I hate to be away from my own house (and bed), even when I go on nice vacations. I think I'm getting like my cat--I like my routine!

Today is an UD, but I'm VLC--fish, meat, egg whites. I'm trying to get over the effects of that cheesecake (and other indulgences) last Saturday. I'm beginning to think that these indulgences are not worth the trouble they cause. Those carbs had me feeling 'ill' on Sunday (stayed in all day feeling lethargic) and exhausted through Monday. A good example of why I never indulge on vacations--I don't want to feel 'unwell' when I'm away from home.

This WOE (JUDDD/primal) makes me feel terrific, and I need to remind myself to ignore the siren call of the typical 'treats' of our culture because, to me, they're not treats at all.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

I hear you Leo. Yesteday their was not much to eat so I did eat two l/c wraps and popcorn. I usually do not eat that way on my UD except for date night. I feel horrible today. This is a tough DD for me. Like you said last week we live and learn. I have been able to tolerate one wrap without feeling icky but two with popcorn is too much!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #223
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post

I came across the Alternate Day Diet over the weekend and I'm intrigued. I checked out the website and decided to buy the book which I'm reading now. I'm tempted to give this a try but I put in my stats in the online calorie calculator and it came up with 369 for my DD (20%). That kind of scares the crap outta me! I know I wouldn't starve to death or anything but I'm really wondering how I'd make it through the day with so little food. What was like for all of you when you first got started? Did you feel weak? Have a hard time focusing at work? Want to gnaw your arm off?

TIA!
That is what scares me. I also become hypoglycemic very easily if I get hungry. I would be afraid I would have to just stay in bed on DD's.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #224
Senior LCF member

My sister is a type2 diabetic who also tends to become hypoglycemic if she doesn't eat often enough. She tried JUDDD and had difficulty with DDs. In his book, Dr. J warns that some types of diabetics cannot eat this way.

My sister's problem, however, is the same when she's not dieting. She has a demanding job and tends to go all day without food, and that's when she gets hypo and needs a quick sugar fix! I think is she ate more regularly, she would not experience this. On my DDs, I actually eat at least 3x, sometimes more often, even if it's just a Tablespoon of tuna salad.

Most of us find that it's quite liberating to eat so little on our DDs. It gives us a sense of control over food, and the feeling isn't quite the same as being ravenously hungry (although there are times like that), but a pleasant, 'empty' feeling.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick drive by this morning. On my way to work. Scale up slighty but I know its just a flucaution. Still within my range. The biggest thing is I feel great.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #226
Senior LCF member

Hi-
I may not get on the scale tomorrow morning for my weekly weigh in--but it would be my first miss in more than 2 years! On Wednesday, the woman I tutor showed up with a terrible head cold, and I stupidly shared a pencil with her while we were working together, and we also worked very closely.

Yesterday, I started sneezing in the afternoon. That continued this morning, and I notice the beginning of a cough. The problem is that whenever I'm the slightest bit ill, my body retains water big time! My fingers are already 'pudgy,' so I know this process is happening.

Yes, I know the scale number will be 'just water retention,' but I don't think I want to deal with a gain, regardless of the fact that I know it's water. That number would depress me, so I may just skip the scale in the morning.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
That is what scares me. I also become hypoglycemic very easily if I get hungry. I would be afraid I would have to just stay in bed on DD's.
I agree with Leo if you have any kind of blood sugar issues, JUDDD will not be the right plan. After losing 30 pounds on JUDDD, I found the plan gave me a feeling of empowerment over the food I ate. I became convinced I could eat whatever foods I wanted and control my calorie intake well (on most days anyway.) We did have a poster named Bill who had blood sugar issues, and I think he did quite well with JUDDD. Others (BloodSugar101) have not been able to do this plan.

Just an update on my calorie cycling experiment. I am down 4 pounds this week (total 33 pounds lost). I made some changes this week because I actually felt I was eating more than I really needed to or wanted to. So I knew I needed to tweak my plan. When I did my 1400 calorie a day experiment, I lost 3 pounds that week. So, I knew I could go higher and lose. Most of my days this week have been 1700 calories and one free day (going quite high with calories and not counting). I know that prior to being properly treated for my thyroid, I could never lose with this type of rotation. I don't expect this type of loss every week.I'll be happy with losing a pound or two a week. I tend to do quite well the first week I try a new woe. I do feel though that I can definitely stay at this calorie level and stay on plan. I am not counting carbs, but I am always doing a mental check on my intake of sugar - if you know what I mean. I'm glad I "took the leap of faith" and ventured out into higher calorie territory. This has definitely been worth the experimentation. I'll be reading your posts and checking in from time to time. I wish you all well with your JUDDD journey. JUDDD works so well for so many people. If I couldn't lose at a higher level of calories, I would definitely still be on JUDDD. Happy JUDDDing everyone!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #228
the condiment queen

Redeemed that is so awesome for you! I'm glad you're doing great!

My blood sugar is actually doing better on this plan but my UDs are not eaten "freely" with carbs (usually. lol!) - because of my T2. What I have found as I have decreased my protein and fat levels to "adequate" (fat around 50-60% of cals so not "low fat") is that I'm able to eat more carbs from low glyc veggies and some things like small amounts (emphasis on small) of berries and a 1/4 of an apple here or there. For me, the large servings of proteins at each meal, really converted to glucose at the 5-6 hour mark! So eating on JUDDD, I think is also helping the insulin resistance, cuz I've seen another drop in blood sugars (per day I'm about 10pts lower on average now). I'm seeing sugars in the low 80s and 90s again instead of the 90s and low 100s with the previous tweak in my eating plan.

Also, I stand corrected about the issue with sipping protein drinks. I'm wrong about the problem with protein denaturing if not consumed within 30 minutes. I talked to some of my friends over on the wl board and they explained the 30 minute window is so that you don't regain your weight by continually taking in nutrition all day long with "slider food" like protein drinks. It has nothing to do with the quality of the protein going down if it is allowed to linger for a period of time. Sorry to give misinformation!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo, I hope you caught the cold in the bud before it gets to be full grown.

Redeemed, that is wonderful on the four pound loss.

I couldn't resist stepping on the scale today, even though it was after an up day, and I learned a lesson. I was up 1 1/2 pounds. I refuse to get discouraged. I'm blaming it on the new batteries in the scale, they're just too enthusiastic.

Pat
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #230
the condiment queen

Pat don't get discouraged! and remember, JUDDD builds effectiveness the longer you have been on it. Blame the batteries!!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #231
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
So, I'm still planning on starting this on Sunday but I'm getting more and more nervous. What if I crack and can't even make though 1 day? The book does make sense to me but there's still something in my head telling me that it's not healthy to eat only 500 (or less). I know it's all the diet talk I've heard over the years it's just hard to get it out of my head, KWIM? I know it's not like it's 500 calories every day. The days do even themselves out. It's just different than what's been ingrained in my brain.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
OK, I'm discouraged now. Thanks for your advice on balancing the days. Yesterday I had an UD at around 1500 cals. My DD for today is:

B: Coffee w/FF cream 4oz -40 cals.
L: Oroweat lite bread: 2 slices - 80 cals.
Fat Free cheese: 1 slice -30 cals.
Light Mayo: 2tsp -33 cals
Trader Joe's reduced sodium turkey breast: 3oz - 90 cals
D: Progresso light beef pot roast soup: 2 servings - 160 cals
Hebrew National FF hot dogs: 2 each -80 cals.

Total: 513 cals and 47 net carbs

Now the challenge will be "if" I can stick to that menu. Then tomorrow I should have an UD with how many more calories? What about the carbs? I'm just doing something wrong. I weighed myself after dinner last night and then this morning and my weight was exactly the same.

Help!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #233
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
It's so great that you can lose this way! I admire the way you keep searching for the right WOE for yourself because that's so important to long-term health.

Pat-
I've found that the fluctuations with JUDDD are more pronounced than with any other plan. We really go up and down wildly. That's what's cured me of weighing too frequently. I've found that I need to weigh only once a week, same day, same time. Since Friday is a DD for me, I've been weighing on Saturday mornings. I also write my weekly weight on a calendar so that I can look back at the 'trends.' This has been very helpful to me. For example, I noticed that repeatedly, there was one week in the month where I had no loss at all (not TOM--I'm well past that). So when that week would occur, I didn't get too upset because I knew that was my pattern.

Ideally, I'd weigh only once a month. But I'm not strong enough for that! Some people on JUDDD actually weigh daily, understanding that they're going to see big fluctuations, but I'm not strong enough for that either

jiggles-
Please don't be nervous because you'll just upset yourself for no reason. First of all, JUDDD is not a 500 cal diet plan. As you point out, it all evens out over the week. It's calorie cycling. There are people doing intermittant fasting who are actually eating much less during a 24hr. period.

If you decide to try it, and have difficulty staying under 500 cal, keep in mind that several people doing the plan had to make a few attempts before they had a successful DD. And if you don't have a successful DD, do not try again the very next day. People just kept to the alternation and tried to be successful on the next scheduled DD, rather than repeatedly trying DDs.

But if the plan itself disturbs you, why do it? No one is forcing you to do this. We have had many people here who discovered that it isn't the right plan for them.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #234
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Leo, the plan doesn't actually disturb me. The reasonable side of me says that it makes sense and isn't really "unhealthy". There's just that little part in my brain that's saying "What have you read all these years?" Kind of like with low carb. I know that isn't unhealthy either but my brain was trained to think that I need carbs. It's just all the diet crap I've read over the years trying to mess with me.

Even if I have a hard time staying under 500 calories at first, I'll still be better off than what I'm doing now which is eating what I want every day. So, I'm going to try not to get frustrated with myself if I end up going over on DDs in the beginning.

There's something I like about this plan which is why I want to try it. I like the idea that I'm only really on a "diet" every other day. I think I need to keep trying things until something works. I know what I can't stick to and this is very different than other plans and maybe that's what I need.

I know I shouldn't be so nervous. It really is silly. It's not like I can't eat something if I feel like I'm going to pass out or anything. LOL

I appreciate all the advice from everyone!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Hello everyone!!! I went home from work with a massive migraine today. I laid down for a little while when i got home and feel much better so i thought i would get on here since i havent been on in forever. I'm gonna post some of my soups in the other thread when i get done too. I think they might help some of the newbies to this woe since they are very filling.

I think i have read most of the posts that have been going on the last few days but im sure i have missed some. I'm glad to see some new people that are going to try this out. It has really worked great for me so i hope you end up liking it. I love the control the DD's have given me over my eating and just in general and then i having a little freedom on the UD's is a nice thing too. I think after doing this for a little while it seems that most people start finding the UD's harder than the DD's...lol Once you get the DD's down they are very enjoyable. Its easy to allow the UD's to get out of control at times so theres much more focus that has to go into the UD's than the DD's once you get to know what you can and cant eat. Playing with the calories on UD's is a struggle in the beginning too. Since i am maintaining I try to make sure to be anywhere from 1600 to 2100 calories on UD's. I started this in the beginning to lose a few lbs that i had let myself put on from laziness and ended up losing 4lbs my first week and then 2 more the next week. I started tweeking things at that point to see what i needed to do to not lose anymore weight. I didnt want to give up my DD's. I enjoyed them so much so i didnt want to up my calories or even change to 2 DD's a week so i found that upping my calories on UD's helped me to maintain my weight.

I have really done alot of tweeking since i started to see what worked best for me on DD's and i have some great soup recipes ill post in the recipe thread. I dont like to feel really really hungry for long periods so i go more for volume on DD's. I eat lowcarb but have more carbs on DD's because i eat lots of veggies. I eat very low carb on UD's. Sticking with mainly meat, eggs and salad.

Jodi, i agree with you on the EAS shakes, they are awesome. I have one every morning on my DD. I like to put the shake in my big insulated cup with ice and sip on it in the mornings. I will add a couple teaspoons of instant coffee. I love all of the flavors. I finally tried the vanilla and put it in my big cup and added some cinnamon and some instant coffee and that is a treat! It is so good. I really like the strawberry too. Tastes like strawberry milk to me. And mmmmmmm the dark chocolate!!!! Sooo good!

Leo, thanks for doing that research for us that sip our shakes like that. I'm glad we are still getting the benefits of the protein.

Redeemed im so glad that plan is working for you. Your loss is great!!!!

Pat, leo is totally right about the fluctuations with JUDDD. They are crazy! I have to make myself stay off of the scale, which is a real struggle at times. I have done a few tests just to see the fluctuations and i can go from 143 back down to 137 within just a few days. The DD's really make a difference. Its definitely best to weigh after a DD.

Suze i have found that i eat more carbs on DD's. It scared the crap outa me in the beginning...lol But i have realized that keeping the calories so low it hasnt affected me at all. I still keep my carbs really low on UD's but DD's i have more carbs because i can eat more food, usually veggies. Your menu looks good. You will have to just play with things to see what works for you. I try to stay away from too much processed food and stick to whole foods on DD's and UD's. I do have my EAS shake but thats about it thats processed. I usually make a huge soup once a week or once every 2 wks and thats what i have for lunch.

Well, im gonna head to the recipe thread and post my soup recipes. I will try to get back on later or tomorrow and do some more catching up.

Hi to everyone i missed, pooticus, welcome jiggles!!!! And anyone else i hope you have all had great weeks and have agreat weekend!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Redeemed....glad your new plan is working for you!! I'll be trying it out myself next week as I'm on vacation (Jersey shore) and know I won't be JUDDING.

Leo....I think you're smart not to get on the scale tomorrow as long as you know you're retaining fluid and a gain would get you depressed. You know yourself best and probably better to wait, cause you know a good DD or 2 and you'll have that water weight off again. Hope you feel better soon!

Jiggles....don't sweat the DD's! I think it took me forever to accomplish a clean <500cal DD. If you do 600 or 700 or 800 calories, it's still less than you were doing and you'll eventually get there. You will show a loss either way, I'm sure. My DD's are usually in the 550-650 range and I know I'd be losing faster if they were lower, but I just feel too deprived that way and that's never a good mindset for me! We all have our individual tweaks with this plan so find what works for you.

Have a good weekend everyone. Will be weighing in tomorrow or Sunday morning....will take whichever weight is the lowest for the week! I leave early Sunday morning for vacation for the week and won't have internet or scale access. Hope it's not too much of a shock when I get home!!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
Old 09-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #237
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-
I hope you have a great vacation! I was just looking at the weather forecast for next week, and it looks really good for you--high 70s and sun.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pooticus,

Hope you have a super birthday.

Pat
Old 09-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162