Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #91
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hey Jessica, please know I wasn't refering to you when I brought the question up! I was coming from my own insecure place of fitting into a group without angst and without breaking other peoples boundaries and comfort zones. I am such a forceful personality that sometimes people think I'm a steamroller when really I'm a softie at heart with a big sleeve that I hang my emotions on...I'm a total social geek!

I am interested in your DD menus too!! I want to post mine as well. Please don't leave this thread because of me or have your feelings hurt because of my big mouth and insecurity! Please!?!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
It's totally ok! Honestly, I had no clue I was "doing it wrong," so I'm glad you brought it up.

I'm not personally affronted at all! It's not like it's a lot of work for my forefinger to click one more time to get to the right place, right? No worries.

Btw: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post13864902

Maybe we could get the mods to add "menus" to the thread title?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Or possibly, would someone want to start a totally new place just for menues???like maybe JUDDD alternate day daily menu site for Sept or Oct , or something like that, and then the recipes and menues wouldn't get mixed up???I would definitely check both places as I need all the help I can get, sometimes I go back for a whole month looking for ideas and recipes, and that is really mind exhausting for me. All of these ideas are good, as long as we know where to find them.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #94
the condiment queen

I like a totally new menus JUDDD thread personally! That would be awesome to look through and would keep the recipes collected too.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
Or possibly, would someone want to start a totally new place just for menues???like maybe JUDDD alternate day daily menu site for Sept or Oct , or something like that, and then the recipes and menues wouldn't get mixed up???I would definitely check both places as I need all the help I can get, sometimes I go back for a whole month looking for ideas and recipes, and that is really mind exhausting for me. All of these ideas are good, as long as we know where to find them.
Great idea!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #96
the condiment queen

I just steamrollered yall and made a new thread here on this forum called the September JUDDD DownDay Menus thread.

If yall hate it I can ask Dottie or another mod to delete the thread!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I will post my menu. Just let me know where you are putting it.

WTG Suze1
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...day-menus.html
Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #99
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jessica-
Please! It's not a case of "not allowed." It's just that way back when (couple of years ago), people on this thread had a difficult time reading about recipes and menus if they were on a DD, but they really wanted to read posts, etc. for support. So most of us just started making references to things we found good for DDs, and that evolved into the 'recipe' thread where people explained their food (mostly for DDs), even if it wasn't an actual recipe.

I think the separate thread idea is better because anyone interested can access the info when they're on an UD and don't mind reading about food! It also puts all the food things in one place rather than scattered through our basic thread. I really hope you don't mind doing it this way.

Jodi-
I have Hashimoto's, which is an auto-immune disease, and folks with one tend to develop others (Celiac is also autoimmune), but Hashi's people also have a very high incidence of gluten intolerance.

I've read that the test for gluten (which is a test for Celiac) is notoriously inaccurate. I don't think I have Celiac, but I wondered about gluten intolerance because I'd been eating low carb for so long that I never had actual bread, but I was eating low carb bran crackers for the fiber. However, I ate so few a day that I worried I might be injuring my GT tract without realizing it. That is, if I were gluten intolerant, the crackers would be irritating my system.

So I did the food elimination test--refraining from all grains for a month. Then I happened to be having dinner at an Indian restaurant that had the most delicious, warm bread, and I really indulged. The reaction was incredible cramping and diarrhea. I tested again with a few of my bran crackers, and they 'worked,' too. I realized that I thought the crackers were keeping me regular (and they were--the little I ate didn't cause diarrhea but kept me going), but it was at the cost of irritation to my GI system! So now I avoid grains completely.

You might want to try to food elimination test just to see if that's what causes your reaction--rather than just carbs in general.

Suze-
Congratulations on the loss! It's not so much that we 'senior' women don't move as much as the metabolism naturally slows down with menopause. My endo told me that two things would help--and they have--exercise and caffeine. I swim for aerobic exercise, and I drink a lot of coffee and green tea for the caffeine. He advised me that since I am "otherwise healthy" (he meant other than being obese:-), increasing my caffeine consumption would push my metabolism a little. Since I drink both 'black' (nothing added), those zero calorie hot drinks really help, especially on DDs. But no one should increase caffeine consumption unless they know they can handle it.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Jessica Another suggestion regarding posting menus and recipes is to start a journal here on LCF. That way you can write about the foods you plan on eating, post recipes, stats, etc. You can combine the psychological aspects of being on JUDDD as it relates to the food you eat. Others can join in if they want. It shouldn't take away from your posting on this thread for support. Just a thought.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Suze....congratulations on your loss!

Leo...I agree on the MD theory. I think I have to go for a DD and then just make an addition (which for me is never hard to do)!

Looking forward to my DD tomorrow!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick hello. Off to work today. Its an UD for me.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Keeping you updated.....

I went to the website called Free Dieting for a calorie cycling schedule in order to lose weight. This is what the computer calculated for me:

Maintenance Level: 2340 calories

Monday 1840 calories
Tuesday 1840 calories
Wednesday 2208 calories
Thursday 1840 calories
Friday 1840 calories
Saturday 2025 calories
Sunday 1840 calories

I had a very high calorie day on weigh in last Sunday. Yesterday, I had 1400 calories. This morning my weight was the same as my weigh-in day on Sunday. Now I am going to be a very brave soul and try the above calorie cycling schedule for two weeks. This isn't JUDDD, but it is sort of an off-shoot of the plan because of the calorie cycling. I'll try this for two weeks. If it doesn't work, I'll come back to JUDDD. Please wish me success!!! I'll report back in two weeks. Happy JUDDDing to the rest of you!!!

BTW: Love the new menu thread!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Good Luck!!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #105
the condiment queen

Hi Redeemed, good luck to you girl! Why not stick around and tell us about your successes and let us see your journey?

Yesterday was a DD for me. I had a little more hunger yesterday and suspect it had to do with having the 2 previous UDs of Sat/Sun. Saturday was a medium day and Sunday was supposed to be a MD but ended an UD. LOL. I was also feeling a little deprived doing a DD on Labor Day. It wasn't as if we had any big plans. We did those on Saturday so it was all head-stuff.

I'm down another unofficial pound today to 268.00lbs. Wednesday will be my 1-week JUDDDiversary and so far I'm unofficially down 3.8lbs for the first week but again, that is unofficial until Wednesday! So we'll see since that will be weighing after an UD. Booooo!

So today is my UD and I am looking forward to having breakfast in about an hour!

Have an awesome day everyone. It's back to the salt-mines today (not literally). I'm a graphic artist. Talk to you later!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #106
Senior LCF member

Pooticus-
Go ahead an claim that loss!

But try not to weigh after an UD. I don't want you to be disappointed. On JUDDD, Dr. J warns against weighing after an UD. It's mot that weighing after a DD gives an unnatural 'low,' but that the UD usually causes an unnatural 'high' because of fluctuations. I've tried weighing after an UD to 'experiment,' and I'm always up 2-3 lbs! That's what keeps me off the scale on a daily basis. I've found that weighing after a DD, the same day each week has given me a good sense of my losses--minimal though they are each week.

Redeemed-

Have you ever lost on that many calories? The reason I ask is that I personally would never trust any 'calculator' to tell me how many calories I need to consume. Everyone is unique, and any number I've ever gotten (including from the JUDDD calc for UDs) has been way too high for me. I judge my calorie level on how my body reacts to the numbers rather than what anyone tells me the numbers should be.

What I'm not understanding is if JUDDD is working for you why you keep switching to other plans. I know the body can get 'used' to a specific WOE; that's why I try to throw in a high calorie day every month or so. I think any plan, following consistently, can be 'tweaked' a little to keep the body from getting to used to it.

Last edited by Leo41; 09-07-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #107
the condiment queen

Hi Leo, good idea! So maybe I will switch my official JUDDDiversary weigh in until Thursday this week! You know my official weigh day is Saturday's so it's a bit confusing...but I do want to keep track of the Week1, Week2 losses on JUDDD, so I can know if I decide to up my cals on my DDs to experiment. Not sure I will...but, you get the idea.

How did your weekend go?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Hi all,
I've been reading and researching JUDDD and I would like to give it a try! Scientifically it makes sense to me and with my personality, I believe I could handle the DD knowing an UD is right around the corner!
I see that lots of folks make their UD's LC days as well. Does that work better than a mixed UD?
Tomorrow will be my Day One DD... Wish me luck!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #109
the condiment queen

Stynger and welcome! Leo and the others will be by shortly to answer questions. I'm a newbie too. I just wanted to welcome you into our group!!! Good luck! It's been fairly easy so far!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Redeemed....good luck with your new plan (experiment). Check in with us though and let us know how you're doing.

Stynger... Always room for one more and this is a very supportive group. Good luck with your first DD tomorrow!!

Boy, my holiday weekend turned into 3 UD's in a row with disastrous results on the scale this morning. I just have to keep telling myself, it's water weight, it's water weight. Gonna have a clean DD today and drinking lots of water. Back to my water aerobics too...have been slacking off on that for a few weeks and then the pool was closed last week for maintenance. Felt good to get up this morning, have my HB egg and hit the Y! Back in the saddle, so to speak.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello Everyone-

Homework today...I have to get it done. I am on a DD today so meals will be simple. I have some leftovers and some broth in the freezer. As always when studying, I will drink several pots of coffee.

Redeemed- Good luck on the higher calorie plan. Like Leo said...for me that would be too many calories.I have been reading on Dr.J's web site and thought about increasing calories on the DD. Sometimes 500 just seems sooo hard. My thinking process on this is: If I am stressed about staying below 500 all I do is think about food. If I know I can go over by 100 calories if I need to it takes the pressure off and I cruise on through the day. Often at 500 or 525. If I quit losing I can go back down below 500.

I don't know how some of you can make it on 300-350. Maybe when I have been doing this longer I will figure it out. It will be 4 weeks for me tomorrow.

Suze- congrats on the loss. I don't remember if it has been a long stall for you, like it was for me. I was so excited to see the number drop a little. Anyway, It is always exciting to see the number moving in the right direction. Good Job

Stynger- Welcome. Allow yourself a few weeks to adjust to the day to day calorie shift. It was really stressful for me the first few weeks. Things are smoothing out now. and I am having steady small losses (I am a slow loser on any plan).

Pooticus- Wow...great loss for just one week. Definately weigh after a DD. The weight of the waste in your intestines is sometimes a couple of pounds after an UD. That will usually clear after a DD.

Jodi- Waving at you as you run through here.

I ate pop corn last night...sigh...One of the few carby things I miss. The salt alone makes me gain the next day. I guess I need to go back to strict low carb. I feel better when I eat that way. Interestingly enough...the ketostix I occasionally use are showing darker reaction now than they ever did on straight low carb. I guess the extra carbs are getting burned up on those low calorie days.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by halos; 09-07-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #112
Senior LCF member

Stynger-
As to your question about carbs, folks here do this with a variety of levels of carbs. Personally, I have always eaten low carb on both DD and UD, but that's because I'm extremely sensitive to carbs, so I eat low carb for health. And if I ate carbs on an UD, I'd be too hungry to deal with a DD! However, some others have more carbs than I do. There's nothing in JUDDD that prohibits any food; it's up to the individual.

Pooticus-
Beware of tinkering with your calories based on what number shows up on the scale on any given week. There were several months in which I lost nothing for 3 whole weeks, and yet I had not changed anything from when I was steadily losing a pound a week. Then in the fourth week, I lost 4 lbs! I didn't lose 4 lbs in one week; my body only allowed that number to show in week 4--I ate an exercised the same way the entire month! If you're losing, just stick with it for a while until you see a pattern in your losses. I record my weekly weight on a calendar so that I can chart the 'trends.'

As you probably know, the body doesn't like to lose, and will often fill empty fat cells with water--temporarily. If we continue to lose, it will eventually have to dump that water--my 4 lb loss, e.g. That's why Dr. A warned that it's not a 'stall' unless it's 6 weeks because the scale number is very unreliable as a measure of weight loss for shorter periods than that.

Sherrie- I admire your courage in getting on the scale after 3 consecutive UDs! It's that mentality that will get you to goal--i.e., keep confronting the problem without distress. It's so easy to avoid the scale--which is how I got to 300+

Sally-
The idea of the DD of 500 cal or less is that's the number, according to Dr. J, that's necessary to 'activate' the SIRT1 gene--two weeks of JUDDD, with DDs of 500 cal or less. If you've done 2 weeks, then I wouldn't worry about a higher DD. Even if you haven't, I'm not sure that it's 'necessary' to activate the SIRT1. Dr. J says in his book that no one should be too stressed if they go over their DD allotment by 100 cal or so.

My DD number from the JUDDD calculator when I first started was 430 cal, and I was obsessed with keeping to that number for the first 15 mos on JUDDD. But when I'd lost over 50 lbs, I checked again, and at my new weight, my DD number was 360 cal, so that's why I went lower. It was actually easy after having done 400 for so long. And then I often found myself doing 300 cal without trying--i.e., I just wasn't any hungrier some days. Although 350 cal may seem impossible to you now, keep in mind that I only went that low after months and months of doing this.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Found a new DD friend, a gazpacho type cold summer vegetable soup. If you love vinegar, you will love this idea. Will head for recipe thread after awhile to post it. Having a better DD than I have had for awhile, I think it is because my self-inflicted stress level is down a little due to some decisions I made last week. I am not taking any trips, any extra chores, etc. until my health improves a little, and that includes getting into a more steady wt loss. There was a scripture a couple weeks ago in church (paraphrase) not attempt to do things that are beyond your strength. Really hit me between the eyes, and I really called off some plans that would have really made my life miserable for the next few months. I feel much better. Self care is really an art.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #114
Senior LCF member

Good for you, Nitenurse! Yes, self care is difficult but it's also critical. You owe it to yourself to take care of yourself.

I think it's important to note that I lost most of my weight in retirement. Dealing with a stressful job made it difficult to simultaneously deal with my food issues. Once the job was in the past, it was much, much easier.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Thank goodness the water weight comes off with JUDD as quickly as it goes on...lost with one good DD yesterday, all the weight I put on with three UD's over the holiday weekend!!

Nitenurse....sometimes it takes us decades to learn we need to take care of ourselves first. I think being a woman and a caregiver (I'm a nurse too), we too often put everyone else's needs ahead of our own. Glad you took that deep breath and rearranged your priorities. I have found that I've been spreading myself too thin (not literally, unfortunately ) lately and need to start saying no a little more often.

Well off to see my little darlins (3 grandchildren) as they climb on the bus for the first day of school.....will check in later.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #116
the condiment queen

Good morning to all of you! Today is my 1 week JUDDDiversary! I can't believe the time has flown by so quickly! I am feeling like this is a do-able program but will let you know after my second week!! Haha.

Yesterday was an UD for me and I think I did very well. Haven't plugged it all into ****** yet because I made turkey meatloaf last night and it was a bunch of ingredients so I have to figure out recipe info first and portion info after that.

I'm going to weigh officially for week 1 tomorrow after my DD today but unofficially (LOL) my pre-poopy (hereafter pp) weight was still 268.0lbs.

Leo thanks for the advice about adjusting my calories and also reminding me about how stubborn our fat cells are! I see that in myself so often! Then all of a sudden I will spend hours going potty and poof! There goes 2 lbs! The little buggers! So I guess I'm going to stick with 500 cals for DD after the 2nd week is up. Technically by his calculations I should be below 500cals but dang, right now? My mind is saying, "Girl, if you can't lose weight on 500-600cals/day we have an issue here and I'm not letting you go any lower!"
The difference between 500-600 cals/day is about 1 protein drink which means going from an average of 45g or protein a day to 63g/day...a level I'm more comfortable with for sure, but we'll see when the time comes.

Nitenurse, your gazpacho soup sounds delicious! I'm going to make that this week. I love vinegar too - especially the ACV but also that green pepper vinegar that you get in a bottle. I love to eat that in my veggie and greens soups. I'm glad you are saying "no" more often. It's the hardest thing in the world isn't it? Listen to those scriptures! That's God leading you hon!

Sherrie have a precious time with the gks!! First day of school *sniff*. I'm so happy your water weight just went "poof"!!! that's fantastic!!!!

OK, well off to work. Have a great day everyone! Sorry I missed some of our regulars.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #117
Senior LCF member

In my "JUDDD journey," I've found Sherrie's experience to be mine as well--it takes only a DD or two to rectify and holiday or celebratory "dietary indiscretions."

Years ago when I was doing just a generic low carb, I went on a week-long cruise, ate fairly carefully--certainly no major indulgences--and came home 7 lbs heavier! It took me weeks and weeks to lose that weight.

Yet the first time I went on vacation with JUDDD, I'd only been on the plan about 3 months. We spent 4 days in New Orleans--eating capital of the world! I not only had all UDs, but I ate carbs as well. I returned home up 3.5 lbs, and that weight was gone by the end of the next week--along with another pound (my regular loss). That's happened every time I've been away and unable to do DDs. It actually may be one of the best features of JUDDD that it is so easy to have an occasional 'lapse' and yet get right back.

In addition, I've found that after almost 2 years of this, if I happen to have two consecutive UDs [gasp], my body seems to long for a DD! Unlike other plans when 'going off' makes it difficult to get back on, JUDDD seems to condition my body somehow so that I begin to crave those DDs.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #118
the condiment queen

Leo that is sooo inspiring! I should be so lucky. here that it happens to me and mine and everyone's insulin resistence and hyperinsulinemia are really reversed like your's has been!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello Ladies-

Happy Wednesday...my weigh in day...-2. That gives me 6 pounds lost in one month on JUDDD. Last week I didn't lose anything, in fact was up 2 pounds, now thats gone and a little more. 240-234. It may not seem like much to the faster losers, but it is huge for me. Even in 2003(?) when I lost 60 pounds it was only 1 pound a week or less.

I am getting into the swing of this plan. One of my first thoughts when I wake up is "Today is a DD" then I have to remember if it is or not. LOL Last night I ate a couple of quarter sized pieces of coconut bark...not sure of the calorie count on that. I was at 460 before the snack so still within reason for a DD.

For the last 10 years or more I have been taking a snack to bed with me. Usually cheese and crackers or cheese and several ounces of meat. Could not sleep without it. Since being on JUDDD I have stopped that completely. Yay me...yay JUDDD. I don't miss it at all now and that is 300-400 calories less a day. Thinking about it, this may be the reason for some of my stress at the start of this program. It is difficult to break a habit of many years.

Leo- Thanks, I will let the DD calories have a little flux and lower them more after I lose some weight.

Pooticus- Good luck on weigh in tomorrow.

I didn't finish my papers yesterday so that is my main goal today.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #120
the condiment queen

Sally that is fantastic on the 2lb loss!!! 6lbs for a month is my average usually - sometimes less, more like 4lbs a month if that at times. So I understand where you are coming from on being a slow loser. 2lbs in one week is awesome anytime though!

Nitetime eating is so hard to break isn't it? It's part of why we don't eat until later. We generally eat around 8pm and then don't go to bed until around midnight (sometimes later) due to insomnia. I'm gonna be interested to see how the coconut bark does for you. I may try that after my second week. Coconut oil has tended to make me gain or stall when I add it in for some unknown reason.

I'm so happy you've been able to drop your bedtime snack habit and don't feel deprived in doing it!!! Finish that paper girl!
Closed Thread