Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Mary & Sherrie-
As I told Pooticus, I've found that ONE 'excessive' UD a month actually helped me lose. I always followed it by a DD and never did it (deliberately) more than once a month. So just count this one as your monthly 'high' UD and move on--all is good

Jessica-
On your thyroid issues--first of all, on thyroid lab tests "low normal" is not normal at all--unless your doctor is testing TSH only. The T4 and T3 should always be no lower than half of the lab range. And most doctor don't understand this, nor do a lot of endos. A good endo will also factor in symptoms because many hypothyroid patients can actually have blood values that 'seem' normal--it's called subclinical hypothyroid. My first endo told me that it's fairly common.

So if your doctor tested T4 and T3 and considers "low normal" to be satisfactory, I'd find another doctor. A low T3 will definitely stall or impede weight loss.

Also, you can have FNA if the nodule is at least 1.0cm. I know because we waited until one of mine was large enough for the FNA, and it had to be at least 1.0--and that's how my Hashi's was actually diagnosed. From what I understand, the blood test is unreliable because unless the antibodies are actually attacking at the time of the blood draw, you may not show enough for a diagnosis. That happened to me. The pathologist report on the FNA diagnosed Hashi's, and my endo said that a biopsy report is definitive, but that he could not have been the diagnosis himself based on my blood test--anitbody level was too low.

So it seems to me that your doctor should want to do an FNA--because your nodules are large enough (and a negative biopsy is always a relief even though we know that most nodules are benign) and they can check for Hashi's (reliably) at the same time.

I hate to get on my soapbox about this, but I was told for 5 years by my primary that I was "normal," while I got progressively serious hypo symptoms that he kept attributing to 'aging.'

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Good Morning.

I am down another pound for the week.

Leo You lost an amazing about weight. Slow and steady!! I am thrilled so far with my results. I have not saw the scale move in months!! You paved the way for us.

Sally its a great program but not easy!! good luck with it. Check out her web site. Its monitored by trainers who will answer all your questions. They have a new section just for beginners.

Last edited by JKat; 09-03-2010 at 02:42 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Good Morning JUDDDers! I have been awol for a few days again. Its tough for me to get online much through the week right now. I have been reading and trying to at least stay updated on my phone.

welcome Pooticus!!! dont feel bad about not responding to each person by name. I dont do it all the time either and they havent booted me out yet!!! LOL I am bad about that especially since i dont get online much. I have been doing JUDDD now for a couple months and i love it. I lost the initial weight i wanted to and now im maintaining. I enjoy my DD's so much that i didnt really want to up the calories or have less of them per week so I have found i can just eat basically what i want to on my UD's and still maintain. Of course i am a lowcarber adn have been for years so i eat lowcarb but i dont watch my calories on UD's. At first that kinda freaked me out but after seeing thats really what i needed to do to maintain it has been very freeing for me. I have also struggled with ED in the past and was warned about JUDDD maybe not being so good for people that struggle with ED but for me it has actually helped. Im the type of person that needs to have control and focus and this woe gives me that control i need on DD's and allows me to have a little more freedom with my food on UD's. The combo has been just what i have needed adn it has really worked well. Im also like Leo and need to ahve food spread out through the day. Im not one that can have 1 thing in the morning and then a big meal in the evening. I need to eat about every 3 hours or so. I dont mind getting a little hungry and relish it for a time but not for too long. So i have really enjoyed figuring out what i can eat that keeps me satisfied but is still lowcal. I love making my soups on the weekends. I love putting different things together. And the soup lasts me for 2 wks which is nice. I dont have to worry about what im gonna eat on DD's, except switching it up for dinner sometimes. Good luck with this woe! Im sure its gonna work great for you.

leo you are such an inspiration! You are very wise in the advise you give and i appreciate that, as we all do, im sure. Your advise about the one high day was right on the money. Me having that big 2000 cal day didnt hurt me at all. Im finding to maintain i have to keep my cals about 1800 or so. The main thing i have done is just add nuts back into my woe, which has been wonderful!!! I basically still eat the same but now i have a couple servings of nuts on my UD's unless i know im going to be eating something like hot wings! LOL

Jodi, congrats on your loss! If anyone else has lost and i missed you im so sorry!

DD today here is my menu
B - eas chocolate shake 110 cals
S - cucumber peeled 30 cals
L - homemade soup 47 cals
S - single serve tuna and celery stick 90 cals
D - canned of crab over 1 cup lettuce, 1 1/2 cups spinach and 1/3 container of spring greens 100 cals

Total of 380 cals
I still have some cals to play with if i get hungry before bed. Im buying some unsweetened chocolate almond breeze today so i may have a hot chocolate before dinner! i have been wanting to try that. 1 cup of almond breeze, 1 T cocoa, liquid sweetener all heated in the micro. That will be about 55 cals or so.

Have a good everyone and i will be on over the weekend and hopefully i can catch up on everything thats been going on.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
873641qsfmzadxhx.gif Good morning everyone!

Jodi Congratulations on another pound lost!

Sherrie I have a high UD (free day) every week. It seems that if I have it early in my rotation, I can undo the damage before weigh in. I suspect I would have had a weight loss of 2.5 pounds a week instead of the average of 2.0 that I have shown if I didn't have my free day. I don't regret it though as I really enjoy my free days.

Jessica I have been told for most of my adult life that my thyroid was normal. The interesting thing is that most doctors suspected I had a thyroid problem until they did the lab work. I was one who was in the low normal range. I had to convince my doctor that based on my symptoms I needed thyroid medicine. Since starting thyroid medicine, I have so much more energy, and can lose weight if I don't overdo it on calories.

This is my last UD during the week as I weigh in on Sunday. It should go well knowing I have a weigh in on Sunday. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by Redeemed; 09-03-2010 at 04:15 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

I am at work and have a quick questions. One of my co-workers started judd this week and lost 2pounds already. She has an upcoming wedding on her DD what do you do then?? How do you change up your days??
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #36
Senior LCF member

To change your alternation, plan a few days in advance and put in a MD.

For example, Friday is always a DD for me, but this year Christmas Day was on a Friday! So that week, I did:

Monday-DD
Tues. - UD
Wed - MD
Thurs -DD
Fri - UD
Sat- DD
Sun-UD

My Monday and Tuesday were the same as usual, and I make the change by making Wed a 'medium day' (to avoid consecutive DDs). A medium day should be the average of your DD/UD calories--for me, it's about 900-1,000 cal.

After this holiday week, I was really for my usual M, W, F DDs the following week.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #37
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
It's also possible that if you didn't have that big UD once a week, you'd only lose 1.5 lbs instead of 2 each week! It might be that the higher calories works as a stimulus for the rest of the week. Don't bother to experiment; 2 lbs a week is great!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Had an embarrassing UD yesterday and didn't even want to weigh, sigh, but I did anyway. Today I will try to stay at about 500-550 cals. I don't want to go lower for a few days. Let's just see how I do. Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend all. I will check in on Tuesday.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #39
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Good morning everyone! Hope yall had outstanding days yesterday!

Leo -I think we're all fortunate to have your expertise to draw from! I think Dr. J is nuts for not taking you up on your offer of "spokesmanship". It's not often someone loses as much as you have, period! I am going to try to stay in that 1400-1600 window but more on that later. LOL.

140togo- Hi! And thanks for the welcome! One thing I know after letting eating go wild - you can't get into the cycle of beating yourself up over it or it becomes a never ending cycle with increasingly poor mental outcomes. It is over and done. All any of us can do it make the next best choice. You know? Have a great weekend!

Jessica - I agree with Leo. I think you should get the FNAs done this year. 2.54cm = 1 inch. So if you put those together, they measure 2.5 cm!!! An inch of room taken up in your thyroid/neck is significant and would be causing most people discomfort!!! I also agree that if the FT3 and FT4 were in low normals that isn't normal. Especially if you are symptomatic. (I am still learning so much about thyroid so please forgive me for talking like a know-it-all!) I just really think you should pursue another doc! to you my friend and congrats on doing so great on JUDDD!!! In the midst of this. I also understand what it's like to be bummed to not have a "conclusive and treatable" answer to why you feel bad.

Sherrie - Maybe we will all get the UDs right sooner rather than later!!! Hang in there girl!

Sally - Your DD sounds great! How cool that you are a pastor. I bet the classes are tough!! Wow such a short time until you are finished!!!!! Yay!!!

JKat - Congrats on being down another pound for the week!!!!!

Shelly - Your weight loss is also so inspiring to me!!! I'm eagerly watching your dance in maintenance and you look like you are doing so well!! It's very reassuring to hear you talk about how this woe didn't trigger an ED episode. I too like big control over my eating choices and hate that "out of control" feeling I get when I'm not on a plan. This past year has just been a series of out of control moments while I was going through the grieving process and for most of the year I felt so worn out physically and emotionally. It was only in the last few months (since Lent) that I started feeling appreciably better and back in control. Love you homemade soup recipes and can't wait to try them!!!

Redeemed an ave. 2.0 loss each week is amazing!!!! Lucky you girl - no disciplined you girl!!! I'm so happy you've found a woe that works for you so well!!!! Can't wait to hear about your weigh-in. My official weigh-in day is Saturday! So I will report officially tomorrow!

So yesterday was my first UD on the JUDDD plan and talk about containing your emotions so that you don't beat yourself up! LOL! Boy I fought with myself all evening over not doing that! I was great through lunch then started feeling badly and laid down and took a nap. When I woke up, I was STARVING!!!! And went in and ate a bowl of my leftover dinner from the day before my first DD (2 days ago). It was a full bowl (small) but full of skirt steak, zucchini, onion, tomato and cheese (I had lost the fight with my no dairy monster). I felt full and disappointed that I gave in and had such a big snack (or so I thought). I was full through dinner time and told myself, "Oh well, I just won't eat."

Yeah right. I had been looking forward to making the Hatch green chile burgers all week!! I made homemade Revolution Rolls in preparation for them. I told myself, "I'll just make my plate and eat a couple of bites then put it away until Saturday. I'll eat it Saturday."

But Saturday never came. I sat there with a full tummy and ate dinner. I ate 3/4 of it. I couldn't force another bite down my throat. Then I set it aside. I went to do the kitchen and what did I do? I finished it. To the last bite I finished it.

I was stuffed. I was disappointed in myself. I knew I would be up in weight this morning but I was resigned to seeing it - kinda as pennance. Right? I got on the scale this morning (post-poopie :blush: ) and what to my wandering eyes did I see?? An unofficial weight of 269.2lbs. That's right it's unofficial. But I'm still down from last saturday by .6lbs. And after my "terrible, awful, no good UD of overeating - not binging but definitely overeating..."

So this just confirms that 1. It does absolutely no good to fret about something once you've done it. What will be will be. 2. The time for good decision making is BEFORE you make the poor decision. 3. Fretting is a waste of good emotions.

So to do further pennance (guess I better go learn how to spell the word), I put it all into ******. And? Drum roll please? Even knowing I ate when I wasn't hungry. And being scrupulously honest about every bite going in my mouth...the daily total wasn't so bad in the big scheme of things. Total cals were 1749cals. Fat 120.5g, Carbs 28.1g, Fiber 7.3g, Protein 135.4 (now the protein is the only thing I felt like I overate on because I try to keep my protein in a 60-80g area). But all things considered with fat still being at 62% for the day. It wasn't such a blowout. But instead of just taking it as it came and rolling with it. I wasted so much time on negative emotions only to find that it really wasn't that much food afterall!

Ok, so lesson to Pooti. Don't cry over spilled milk. Chances are there wasn't that much milk in the glass anyway! to all and have a super day.

Today I'm fasting until evening and then no-meat. But I am going to splurge even though it's a DD and because my birthday is coming up soon and because the store has live main lobster on sale for $5.98/lb and boneless ribeyes on sale for $3.98/lb!!! Can you believe that??? So I'm gonna go buy a lobster and have them steam it tonite and buy Denny a steak (he hates shellfish) and will have a lovely pre-birthday dinner all for less than 500calories!!! Wooohooo!

Suze - I bet it wasn't as bad as you think and everything will be ok!!!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Last edited by pooticus; 09-03-2010 at 08:13 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Hey, friends. DD for me today, which means no stress--I rock at Down Days! But I still stress about Up Days, so I want to reassure you, Pooticus and Suze, that it's normal to feel a little wild and out of control on those first few UDs. Don't let it freak you out. It took me a week or two of JUDDD to feel like I wasn't just going completely crazy with calories on those days. It's like the sudden freedom to eat more/differently than you've been doing all these months or years kind of goes to your head.

But you know what--I still lost! And after a week or two, the thrill of the Up Day was kind of gone and it became easier to eat like a normal person (rather than eating like a maniac--haha!) So trust the process and trust yourself. It will work. And you will get better at it.

To all of you who commented about my thyroid issues--my sincere thanks. I truly do appreciate the interest and support. Honestly, I don't quite know where to turn next. This guy that I went to is supposed to be quite good. I got his name from someone on the thyroid board. He doesn't take my insurance, so I paid out of pocket for him, in excess of $1500 by the time all the tests were done. So I guess I don't quite know what to do next. My regular doc is not interested in helping me with my thyroid. When I asked him, he only tested TSH and when it was normal, he had nothing further to say to me about it.

I think I might look into the Holtorf group next--I understand that they are excellent but they don't even take insurance at all, so I'm not sure I can get my husband to support my spending several thousand more dollars on a pursuit that he thinks is dubious, at best. (And honestly, I can't help but ask myself "what if the next doctor also costs me several thousand dollars and offers no help? How often can I keep doing that?) So I guess I feel a bit shell-shocked and paralyzed. I can't quite think what I should do next. So I'm going to mull it over for a while.

My encouragement and support go out to each and every one of you! Like Shelly, I'm terrible at getting everyone's name into every post, and sometimes I feel like *that selfish woman who only posts about herself.* But I read all of your posts every day, and send my best wishes and hopes for your continued success. And beyond merely wishes and hopes, I truly BELIEVE that this plan offers us an excellent chance for success!

GO US!! We can DO this!!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #41
the condiment queen

Jessica You know, if you do it right away instead of letting time pass, you can take the labs you've already paid to have done and take them with you to the 2nd opinion! That will save you $$$$ there and it shouldn't cost anything more than the new office visit, right?

I just think with your nodules the size they are, that you should go ahead and get the FNA and that you deserve to have a doc seriously look at your existing throid numbers.

Didn't you already have all of your extensive blood work done??

Thank you for that reassurance about eating. For awhile there yesterday I was feeling the sting of defeat as I ate that snack so late in the afternoon. I was very fearful that a binge was coming on! And then when I ate what to me was a gynormous dinner...well, nuff said. But today I feel fine. I'm a little hungry by nothing outrageous. I'm finishing up work for this afternoon and then will do a bit of housework for company tomorrow and then off to the grocery store to get our dinner treats!!!
I'm with you on the DD not seeming so hard?

Last edited by pooticus; 09-03-2010 at 11:11 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #42
Senior LCF member

Jessica-
I would not go to any other non-insurance places because, as you see with this guy you've seen, it can be a fruitless (and very expensive) experience. I know the thyroid people LOVE the Holtorf group, but they're a little "out there" for me.

Do you have a small, local pharmacy? I ask because I do, and one of the ways to find a good thyroid doctor is to talk to the pharmacist--ask who prescribes Cytomel or Armour, for example. Since giving T3 (Cytomel) is relatively new, any doctor who prescribes it probably knows thyroid issues well. You can say something like, "I'm looking for a good thyroid doctor; do you know of anyone who seems popular with your customer?" If the pharmacist gives names, then you can ask about whether the doc prescribes, etc.

Another way is to ask around among your friends. I never talk about my medical issues with friends, but they often do, and I was surprised how many of them have hypo issues. One of my friends has been hypothyroid since she was in her early 20s (Hashimoto's), but her husband is in the military, and not only won't they prescribe T3, they won't test for it! So one evening when we were having dinner together, she told me how fatigued she was, etc. and that's the first I knew that she was hypo. When I told her about T3, she found out that the military don't test for it, so now she goes to my endo group and is properly medicated and no longer fatigued. So you might find a good doctor from friends. Just beware of "He's so nice!" because sometimes the nicest ones are the most useless. You'd want to know what he/she actually does for the patient.

Pooticus- Thank you SO much for your post!! I'm the Queen of beating myself up when I get out of control. The best thing about JUDDD for me has been getting back to a DD immediately, but now I'll also avoid the personal castigation thanks to your wise post.

By the way, all, sometimes getting out of control may not be your fault at all. Yesterday was an UD, and as I posted earlier, I had a lunch date with a friend. I thought I made a good choice at lunch with a shrimp dish that had a delicious sauce on it--but the sauce was minimal, just a coating and not enough to concern me about what it contained.

We chatted for about another hour, and when I got home, I found myself RAVENOUS. I had already eaten 3/4 of the calories I'd normally have on an UD, but I wanted to eat anything and everything.

I was tempted to say, "OK, it's an UD, I can eat all I want."

Then I stopped myself and realized that this unnatural hunger was definitely a product of whatever was in that shrimp dish (I'm very sensitive to MSG and other additives that restaurants love to use). So I just suffered through it and ate what I'd planned for the evening, no more. By later that evening, I was no longer hungry.

My point is that sometimes you can be impelled to overeat because of some trigger that you don't even notice at the time--even more reason not to beat yourself up if you give in to it. Now you know why I prefer not to eat out!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

I was very hungry myself today. Maybe Pms. I am planning on eating another snack before bed. I am hoping that I am not hungry tomarrow during my DD.

How many do a moderate day every week?? I have noticed some of the poster doing this. I am curious as to why?? Is it just easier to plan your days that way??

Leo Thank you for the info for my co-worker. She too has been stuck for a while and thefirst week lost 2pounds. She is not finding it difficult at all.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #44
Senior LCF member

Jodi-

I do a moderate day every week (or try to) because from the beginning, I knew that true alternation would drive me nuts. I do DDs on M, W, and Fri. Since I usually work out at the pool on Tues, Thurs, (and I try on Sun), that means that I don't work out on DDs--which I don't think is a good idea on so few calories.

To keep that alternation and avoid two UDs in a row, I try to make either Saturday or Sunday a MD--depending on my social schedule. For example, I'm visiting family on Sunday this week, so I'll make Saturday my MD.

Most people who do a regular MD do it for the same reason--to keep DDs and the same days all the time. The other reason for a MD is the one I explained earlier--to change your DD to an UD when you need or want to.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #45
the condiment queen

I'm doing mine exactly as Leo described.

I wanted to always keep Fridays as a DD and like the idea of having a set M-W-F schedule of DD. So I figured that S-S could be the float between medium and UDs.

Keeping fingers crossed I can do this plan, cuz I really do feel good so far - this is my second DD and so far so good.

JKat - I'm so GLAD I no longer have to worry about that!!! I no longer have any monthly fluctuations cuz of a hysterectomy and omg I have no huge mood swings anymore nor do I have the crazy urge to eat the entire planet during that time either! I wish I'd taken action after those Public Service Announcements to spay or neuter a long time ago! My Denny would have had a much easier 10 years!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Good evening everyone!

It seems we all struggle more with UD's than we do with DD's...lol I think its the control thing. Like me, i have my DD's totally planned out. Until my friend at work brings me ham with asparagus and cream cheese rolled inside!!! LOL She brought me one and said "i know this is your DD but you have to have just one" and since they were only half pieces i had one and just didnt have my tuna later. I figure it was about hte same calories but way less food! But man they are soooo good. I dont think with this woe we can do too too much damage having a higher UD as long as we really stick to our guns on DD's. I know we cant go to much overboard but having a little extra or the cals being a little higher than we are used to is not gonna going to hurt us much. Its hard to adjust when you have been counting calories and carbs on a day to day basis and then switching to these DD's and UD's. Its kinda a different mindset we have to get into. We have to have our cals a little higher than we would have been when counting them daily because we have those days when the cals are so so low. That has been a struggle for me too until i figured that out. I was so worrying about keeping my cals on UD"s about 1400 to 1500 and then i realized that i was eating that when i was watching cals everyday. So i started upping them slowly to see how it affected me. Now, since i am maintaining i have to keep my cals higher on UD's or i will continue to lose and i dont need to do that. So, for me, i have to stay about 1800 to 2000 on UD's to keep from losign weight. If i was trying to lose i would stay about 1600 to 1800. But even when trying to lose, like leo has pointed out, it can be good to have that high calorie day to mix things up.

I also do M/W/F for DD's. It works well with my work schedule. I dont and havent done MD's since i started this woe. I think they would be a struggle for me and i dont really need to at this point.

We are going to golden corral for breakfast in the morning so pray for me! LOL i love that place and usually overeat, which is why i dont go there often. Going for breakfast is a little better for me than going for lunch or dinner because they dont have quite as many meat items and i can put away some meat, let me tell you, so i should be ok. I know i will have an omelet, bacon, sausage and steak. I will be too full by the time we leave and i know that so im gonna stress about it. I dont go much so im going to enjoy it.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone! I cant wait to cookout on the grill!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post

I just think with your nodules the size they are, that you should go ahead and get the FNA and that you deserve to have a doc seriously look at your existing throid numbers.
I dunno, Pooticus--he told me quite clearly before I had the ultrasound what the parameters were, and that if they were smaller than 1.5, further testing was not yet indicated. So I feel pretty comfortable with that.

Just gonna continue mulling this over.

Very much appreciate your interest and concern!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Had a good UD at 1400 I may have some coconut bark later.

I do Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday as my DD. I want to keep Sunday as a DD since I am on the road all day. Fast food would be my only option. Sometimes do a moderate day on Friday or Saturday. Sometimes 2 UD.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #49
Senior LCF member

Pooticus-
It took me quite a while to get a handle on the "MD," so for quite some time, both Sat. and Sun. became UDs (much to my dismay). But I still lost, so don't worry too much because I think you fairly well limit UDs as I do (i.e., about 1400-1600 cal).

Weekly Weigh In
This morning I was at 160.5, which meant I got rid of the bloat from my two carb binges (unintentional--sometimes I'll eat some extra carbs deliberately to 'confuse' my body, but these weren't intended), and managed to lose 3.5 lbs this month, despite those 'dietary indiscretions' and playing around with my calories.

I'm mentally changing my goal to 155, but I'm not putting that into my stats just yet. I think I might get too obsessive about losing, which is more 'fun' than just trying to maintain. So 155 is in my long range future--I'm going to try to get there by the ounce rather than the pound.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Morning everyone!
Weekly weight in
136.5 Just where i like to be.

Leo, congrats on losing that bloat! I knew you would have it gone in no time.

I am going to have a weird week this week. With it being a long weekend and cookouts all weekend im going to do UD's s/s/m, tuesday will be DD, wed MD, normal thur and fri DD. This will be the first time i have attempted a MD so we will see how that goes. I thought about just saying forget it and doing normal just skipping mon and just doing DD's on W/F but i would really like to have a DD right after this long weekend. I know i will be wanting it and my body will to, so we will see if i can pull off a MD.

I have cookouts all weekend. My brother is having one later today, we are cooking out sun night and mon night so lots of meat, which i really really love. I will probably be eating very very little carbs at all so i can fill up on the wonderful grill options there are going to be. I think ill be going carnivore this weekend...lol

I bought some unsweetened almond milk finally yesterday. They were out of the chocolate so i got 2 unsweetened vanila. Last night i made a wonderful hot chocolate. 1 C of vanila almond milk, 1 T cocoa and sweetener. It was heavenly and very filling. It hit the spot so i didnt go to bed hungry. All for about 45 calories. It tasted sooo good. This will be something realy nice to have before bed on DD's or UD's. Especially when its a little chilly out.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:18 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Had a really tough DD yesterday....was just ravenous all day no matter what I ate. Maybe it was in response to all the carbs I had on my out of control UD the day before. I managed to hold it to the high end of my 500-700 calorie DD's though and went to bed hungry too.

Weekly Weigh In...I had weighed in at 257 on Tuesday at the end of the month and pleased to report I have lost another pound since then...256 this morning. I'm very happy with that.

Not sure how this weekend's gonna work...gonna try for a MD today (company coming tonight and another cook out). I might try to squeeze in a DD tomorrow, but imagine it will probably become more of a MD as we will be going out once again. Monday we have an all day picnic planned....just hubby and I taking off with the top down for parts unknown for the day and will pack lunch and then probably eat out for dinner...an UD for sure. That will throw my MDF DD schedule out of kilter next week, but will have to figure that out as we go.

Leo...congratulations on your 3.5lb loss for the month. I get just a teensy bit concerned when I hear you keep lowering your goal as you find it easier to lose than maintain. I'm thrilled for you with all you've accomplished....to lose more than half your body weight is just amazing!! Just be cognizant of how you really look as you get down there....so many times I see "older" (yes, guess we fit in that category ) women who lose too much and it makes them appear even older. Now this is just a personal opinion of mine, so don't take offense in anyway. I know you plan on doing it by "ounces" but don't get caught up by numbers....stop when you're really looking and feeling great!! I have a L_O_N_G way to go til I have to worry about making maintenance work for me!!

Shelly....wow, you really seem to have the JUDD maintenance plan working for you. I love how everyone incorporates this plan as their own and finds the right niche. It's encouraging too to hear that the "in control" part makes it work for you, when you've been obsessive about your eating in the past. Congratulations on staying the same!!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #52
the condiment queen

Good morning everyone and Happy Labor Day weekend to all! I hope each of you have a safe and wonderful time with family and friends and that you get to relax!!! It should be called a No-Labor Day!

Shelly - the ham, asparagus, cream cheese rollup sounds great! I may have to try some this weekend for lunch. Thanks for the info about the UDs. I have no doubts you will succeed with your MD this weekend! Have a fun!

Jessica - I completely understand your position. You must do what you know to be right for you hon!

Leo - I'm not gonna sweat it. Thank you for the reassurance. Congrats on your loss this month. Isn't it awesome to see one especially when you allow yourself a little more latitude!!! Wooohoooo on the new unofficial goal. You can do it!!!

So today is my official weigh-in day. I started JUDDD Sept 1, 2010 at 271.8lbs and this morning I'm down to 269.0lbs! (Yep I realize it's water, cuz my ankles were very puffy before I started for some reason.) For the week though, I'm really only down a net of 0.8lbs because last Saturday I weighed 269.8lbs. But hey, I'm still gonna take that as a loss!

I had a delicious dinner last night, complete with a square of 90% cacao Lindt chocolate for an after dinner/bedtime treat. And all for under 500 cals too! So it was a good DD. Today my sissy and her hubby is coming to visit and play in the pool and play hearts with us. We'll grill hamburgers so I'm preparing today! I'm still going to try to keep my UD contained in the 1400-1600 cal range so wish me luck.

Does anyone drink wine? I was wondering if a couple of glasses of dry red wine would hurt me today? I don't want to do it if it's going to set me back but would be nice to have it over dinner with everyone?

Here is yesterday's DD: 494Cals, 26.7g F(48%), 25.3g C(18%), 9.1g Fib, 41.6g P(34%)

B: decaff coffee, black/unsw - 0
L: water - 0
D: lobster, steamed broccoli, butter, lemon, tomato, olive oil - 442cals
BS: Lindt 90% cacao chocolate - 52cals

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Pooticus....that lobster dinner last night sounds yummy! and on a DD no less...tell me this plan isn't great? Congratulations on your loss this first week...motivating, isn't it? I've finally come to believe that those small losses every week really do start adding up. Leo has made me a believer!!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Pooticus: I don't think the wine will hurt you, especially if it's only once a week.

Jessica: I lived in OC for many years, Dana Pt. to be exact. Left about five years ago. Would love to go back but it's too expensive. Once you leave you are committed I guess.

My UD wasn't as bad as I thought. Today it's a DD. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
1130162ney5u2jkoi.gif Good morning everyone!

DD today. I'm going to have asparagus soup for lunch and a bacon wrapped sirlion burger with onions and mushrooms for dinner. My thyroid medicine didn't come yet from Canada, and my supply is empty as of this morning. I have some Naturethroid from about a year ago and some T3 and Synthyroid that I'll have to sub until I get my order. I'm not happy about this at all.

Sherrie congratulations on the lost pound!

Shelly Those asparagus and ham roll-ups sound delicious. Did you have them heated up or cold. Just wondering because I would like to make some. You are doing well with maintenance!

Leo Congratulations on the 3.5 pounds lost. Keep us posted about your cat. I actually was thinking of him yesterday - kat lover that I am!

pooticus I'm glad you started the conversation about not intentionally leaving anyone out when posting. We are getting more people who want to try JUDDD, and we seem to have some gifted writers. By the time I go to post, I forget what others have posted. I try to read all posts each day, and if I leave anyone out, it's not intentional. Also, if someone has commented on a particular post, I might not comment because I don't think my comment will add anything interesting in particular.

Last edited by Redeemed; 09-04-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #56
the condiment queen

Sherrie it was really good and a yearly splurge on my birthday lol. And for the price I couldn't resist! And yep, little things mean alot! I'm nearing VWT (virgin weight territory) at 257. Haven't seen that in over 6 years! So I'm just going to hang on tight and enjoy the ride however long it takes! I'll feel good just knowing that I didn't do anything to sabotage my success!

Suze thanks for the advice! I really don't want to slow myself down so if I have any, it will be a small glass with dinner and adding in the cals and carbs! Yay that your UD wasn't as bad as all that! Woooot!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #57
Senior LCF member

Shelly-
Perhaps if you're pure carnivore at these cookouts, the extra calories won't be too much of a problem. Personally, I find that if I make myself eat slowly enough (I tend to eat too fast!), all meat is self-limiting--i.e., I get full rather fast, but I also have to remind myself to eat with my appetite rather than my eyes. Bad habits persist

Sherrie-
It probably was the carbs that contributed to your appetite. Don't you love how you're getting to be more aware of these things? And it is so very great that you hung on and did a DD rather than giving in

Congratulations on your continued losses!

Pooticus-
Earlier in my weight-loss journey (pre-JUDDD) when I was just doing generic low carb, I used to have a glass of wine in the evening at least 3 days a week, if not 4 or 5. I kept track of both the calories and carbs, and the alcohol didn't cause me any problems--i.e., by including both calories and carbs I continued to lose at the same rate as when I didn't have any wine at all. I only had one glass per evening.

When I went into my big stall that eventually brought me to JUDDD, I got out of the habit because I was stripping my diet down to 'essentials' to try to break the stall. Now I have wine only when I'm out to dinner--rarely.

So if you make it part of your daily plan, I don't think it will be any problem at all.

Suze-
I'm pleased that this is working for you and wish you continued success with your plan!

Redeemed-
Bummer about your thyroid meds, but a good thing that you have some back up.

About the cat-- I so much appreciate your concern!
I was just talking to my vet last evening, and we're going to leave him alone for the rest of September because the poor guy is so stressed from all these vet visits--and blood draws! Right now, my challenge is to get him to eat the prescription food--which he is resisting, of course. Everyone tells me, "Just give him nothing else, and when he's hungry enough,he'll eat it." But both my vets have told me that cats aren't like that. They will actually starve themselves rather than eat something they don't want.

So my next purchase is a 'baby scale' (vet's advice) because I need to watch his weight (since I do free feeding, he can be eating when I don't notice--or not) to see whether I need to supplement with something that I know he will eat. As with sick humans, it's very important that he keep eating. I just wish he'd eat this stuff that's easier on the kidneys (don't bother with suggestions about how to do get him to accept the food, I've tried them all).

Similarly, to assess whether or not he's producing less waste [which would signal improvement in his condition], I'm weighing his litter both before and after each day (currently weighing the bags with a luggage scale).

So although we're leaving him alone, I'm going to be busy monitoring him! Now that I know how to get a urine sample, I can do that if the vet wants one rather than subjecting him to a trip there.

The vet and I will see where he is at the end of the month, and then probably arrange for him to be evaluated by specialists at the nearby (1 hour away) medical center.

No matter what is finally diagnosed, my goal is that he is happy and comfortable until the end--which will come when he is no longer comfortable. I cannot see an animal suffer, especially when their illness is terminal.

Last edited by Leo41; 09-04-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #58
the condiment queen

Thanks Leo! I'll keep that in mind and also I know I'm just gonna have to do trial and error a bit. Like I KNOW that cheese is not my friend. LOL. I break up with it every week! And yet, insidiously, I sneak it back into my diet and voila! It binds, it makes the scale spike upward...sigh. Rinse and repeat!

I haven't had anything to drink in so long now that I don't know what it will do to me now. In the past it stops my losses for about 4-5 days. I used to think Kimmer was nuts (well and I still do really) when she used to go on and on about alcohol being burned first and stopping weight loss for days on end. But the funny thing is, she was right, at least for me - about that particular thing. So I'm torn about whether I really want it. I'm making a big jug of tea for the pool today so may very well just stick to it.

Redeemed I understand completely! It's very hard to speak to each individual when there are so many in a group! I too read each and every thread but sometimes I just don't have the energy or space saying something and I hate for anyone to think that they are less important than anyone else in the group! I've dropped out of many groups because of feeling insecure about leaving people out and feeling like the demands to post were too great (the demands were self-imposed pressures btw). So I don't want to do it here!

Ok, well lollygagging over! I have to get it in gear to get ready for the fam. I'm making Rev Rolls and fresh mayonnaise and need to put together the relish tray for the burgers! We're grilling burgers and having them with blue cheese (yep...sigh, I just never learn), bacon and arugula and I'm going to make some ugly beans and grilled asparagus and sliced tomatoes with olive oil and basil to have with them!

Have an awesome day all!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Sherrie it was really good and a yearly splurge on my birthday lol. And for the price I couldn't resist! And yep, little things mean alot! I'm nearing VWT (virgin weight territory) at 257. Haven't seen that in over 6 years! So I'm just going to hang on tight and enjoy the ride however long it takes! I'll feel good just knowing that I didn't do anything to sabotage my success!

Suze thanks for the advice! I really don't want to slow myself down so if I have any, it will be a small glass with dinner and adding in the cals and carbs! Yay that your UD wasn't as bad as all that! Woooot!!!!
Oh I hear you on the VFT! I haven't been below 260 in well over a decade...actually several (except for one short year where I managed to lose 70lb and gain them back again the same year). I spent most of July flirting with the 250's and back and forth....determined in September to never see 260 again.

It's really amazing to me how these little consistent weight losses are adding up. Just a few short months ago in the mid 280's, I felt like the 250's were completely out of my reach....in fact I remember saying if I could just get to 250 I'd be happy! Now I know I'll reach 250 and I'm looking forward to ONEDERLAND one of these days (or months, or years).
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, all!

Oh me of little faith--I am down 1.6 pounds this morning! (And TOM is finally gone. Coincidence? I think not!)

Let me just get this right out here for everyone to see--I will never be insulted if I am not named by name in one of your posts, so don't stress about the individual greetings thing, ok? I rush right in here to read this thread first thing when I log onto my computer every day, but I'm so interested in your JUDDD experiences--what you are eating, how you are feeling, how you're managing your hunger, and of course--how well you are losing (or in the case of Leo and Shelly--maintaining their wonderful losses)! When one of us has success, I can't help but see it as a victory for ALL of us and a validation that this approach to eating really works.

And it does! IT REALLY DOES!

That is to say--I'm not coming in here to get personal support for me--I'm in here to cheer for you (and me!) and learn more from how you're doing, and to find success!

Happy Saturday to ALL of the JUDDD gang, and enjoy your holiday weekends. And stay on your plan, because it does work!

(ETA: ok, I reread this and it sounds like I'm very unappreciative when you guys give encouragement--and that's not what I meant to say at all! I love encouragement! I just meant to say that when you have success, that is encouraging to me, too! doh--this is what I get when I try to get all deep and philosphical-haha.)

Last edited by verbqueen; 09-04-2010 at 09:16 AM..
Closed Thread