Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #331
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi Michelle-

So glad to see you back! Yes, it's best to get back with only 10 lbs when it can so easily be 20! Our bodies are just yearning to fill those empty fat cells--as I know from experience.

I find JUDDD easier to return to than anything I've ever tried before. Yes, a DD can be difficult, but sometimes when I've been "off," my body seems to yearn for a good DD--perhaps because I've been doing this for almost 2 years, and it's now part of my body's normal rhythm?

Isn't it frustrating how easily we can gain, but lose so very slowly? But we have to play the hand we're dealt, and "eternal vigilance" is now my motto!

You can do this, Michelle!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #332
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Good morning. Haven't had a chance to read back yet.

I barely made it through my DD yesterday. I really thought I was going to cave. I felt like I was starving all day. I didn't have any shakes, just went for real food. Ended up with about 460 calories. Somehow I manage to stay away from shoving any extra food into my mouth. I weighed myself this morning (I'm trying not to weigh more than once or twice a week but I just had to see) and it was down a 1/2 lb. since Friday. It was enough to keep me motivated to do another DD tomorrow. I just hope I don't have the hunger like I did yesterday. Maybe not sipping on a shake all day had something to do with it. I'll probably bring one with tomorrow so I guess I'll see if that makes a difference.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #333
Senior LCF member

Hi jiggles-
Congratulations on not caving! Only we who do DDs know how challenging that is when you're truly hungry.

I've found my DDs unpredictable--i.e., the ones that are easy vs. the ones that are difficult don't seem to follow any pattern. I'll be going along thinking that my DDs are under control when suddenly, Wham--I'm starving on day when I don't expect it.

You probably don't need this advice, since you coped fine, but two things have helped. One is the mantra, "I can eat tomorrow" OR if it's a specific food that's calling your name, "I can eat THAT tomorrow."

The other (that I use all the time) is something that one of our posters mentioned a long time ago. "The feeling of hunger is your body's warning that it's going to tap into your fat stores unless you give it something to eat."

Whether this is scientifically true or not, when I remind myself of this, I lose all temptation to eat more on a DD because I truly want my body to tap into those fat stores!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Hi jiggles-
Congratulations on not caving! Only we who do DDs know how challenging that is when you're truly hungry.

I've found my DDs unpredictable--i.e., the ones that are easy vs. the ones that are difficult don't seem to follow any pattern. I'll be going along thinking that my DDs are under control when suddenly, Wham--I'm starving on day when I don't expect it.

You probably don't need this advice, since you coped fine, but two things have helped. One is the mantra, "I can eat tomorrow" OR if it's a specific food that's calling your name, "I can eat THAT tomorrow."

The other (that I use all the time) is something that one of our posters mentioned a long time ago. "The feeling of hunger is your body's warning that it's going to tap into your fat stores unless you give it something to eat."

Whether this is scientifically true or not, when I remind myself of this, I lose all temptation to eat more on a DD because I truly want my body to tap into those fat stores!
I like the sound of that one!

I kept telling myself I could eat tomorrow and it did help some except I found myself wishing away my Sunday. LOL
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Hi everyone, been awol for awhile, crazy happenings, and grand daughter showed up unexpectedly to live at my house awhile, she's been too ill to care for her little boy so she is here recuperating, another relative keep her son in daytime, getting together in eves, crazy situation-BUT turns out the diagnosis was yeast infection systemic and adrenal gland exhaustion so she has to cut out sugar and bad refined carbs-so we are living on vegs and meats, and she is improving. Grateful that it is food I can live with and getting back on JUDDD, I've been stalled for weeks with all this going on, but back on track now, hopefully to stay. Won't know for a week or so if I have lost any weight, but think with the stress level going down, some of the excess water I'm retaining should leave. Life is crazy.
I am trying to figure out how to do a MDay on weekends to get back on regular schedule, I think I'll just do a DD for 1 1/2 days, and then have a 500 cal meal on the 2nd day, to make it about a 700 cal medium day. Having Leo say 48 hours before body starts reacting to deprivation by dropping metabolism, confirms that this might be ok. having 2 UDs in a row just wasn't working for me, hence the stall.Nice reading the posts everyone is doing so well.

Last edited by nitenurse; 09-27-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Today is my two week anniversary. I'm down another 1 1/2 for a total of 3 pounds lost. I know I could have done better, my fault for turning my two M days into two D (for disaster) days. Not beating myself up about it, 3 pounds down is better than 3 pounds up.

Nite Nurse, your version of M days sounds very like Leo's explanation the other day, and it is what I am striving for this week. Hope your granddaughter recovers quickly, but isn't it good to have company on a healthy eating plan. I'm married to a thin vegetablephobe who lives on meat and potatoes, bread and ice cream and this is sometimes not easy,

Pat
Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #337
Senior LCF member

Nitenurse-
Yes, in times of stress and personal schedule upheaval, it's really difficult to care for one's self--which is what losing weight really is. I know you'll get back on track as things settle down in your life.

Pat-
I think 3 lbs is terrific, but, as you say, any loss is better than gaining! I admire you for being able to manage this while being married to a man who eats ice cream! That's a real weakness of mine, so I can't have it in the house at all.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Leo....you were so right! After one good DD yesterday my water weight gain is gone (4lb) and I'm back to what I weighed the day I left for vacation. That just blows my mind!

Have finally caught up on the posts and know I'm gonna miss a few of you here but have to make some comments.

Pooticus...WOW...great loss for the month!

Cynthia....4lb your first week is so good and you seem to have adapted so easily to this WOE!

Michelle....welcome back!! I give you a lot of credit for hopping back on the wagon when you did.

Jiggles....DD were (still are) a real struggle for me in the beginning. I think you're doing great. I have to admit I never did get two weeks of them straight <500cal. I know that's the goal, but I feel too deprived on 500 and shoot for 600-700 instead....but that's just my tweak. I'm sure I'd be losing faster if I followed the plan to the letter.

Nitenurse...glad to have you back. Hugs to you with all the stress you've been through....reeks havoc on the body/diet, that's for sure.

Pat....Congrats on your 3lb loss so far!! They all add up!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Good Morning JUDDDers!!

Leo - Thanks you for the support. It is nice that when I leave and come back that you are still here!

Sherrie - Thank you for the welcome back! It's nice to see you here too!

I had a good down yesterday. I was really hungry to the point of being sick to my stomach, but I powered through it! I was so proud of myself for just doing it. I slept great last night, and feel really good today. I have my Up day today all planned out.

I still need to catch up on all the posts. My work is slowing down, so I might actually have the chance to do that!

Have a great day!!

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #340
Senior LCF member

Congratulations on powering through that DD, Michelle. We who do this know how challenging it can be, especially if you've been away for a while.

Now you know for sure that you can do this!

Losing vacation weight with one DD has to be a record, Sherrie! Great job!!

Last edited by Leo41; 09-28-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Hi Everyone! Newbie here. I am so happy to have found a forum that can relate to what I am doing. I look forward to interacting with each of you.

I started this past Sat with my first DD. That went well, consuming 489 calories, Sunday was an UP, 1337 calories, yesterday another DD, 522 calories, with today being another UP.

I have read that I should do 3 DD, 3 UP and 1 MD. Is that correct?

Kelly
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #342

Pat, congrats on the loss!

Sherrie, that's great that you lost the vacation weight after only 1 DD!

Welcome Kelly. I'm new too. These ladies have a lot of great advice!

Today's another DD and I'm sticking to it. I brought some shrimp and a cup of light soup (just out of the can. I know I should just make my own but this is easier for now). I decided to try something different and starting at 10:00 I'll eat something every couple of hours. So, at 10 I had 1/2 of the shrimp. I was kind of hungry but not starving. I'm thinking maybe if I eat every couple of hours (even if it's just a little bit) that will help keep me from having that starving feeling. I also have water and a bottle of diet Lipton Green Tea for the afternoon. I already have my dinner figured out for when I get home. So far so good. Seems like the late afternoons are the toughest for me but I think the green tea will help.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #343
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Morning everyone! Welcome to all our new members! Fantastico!

Everyone is doing so great. I'm excited about each of your progress and that you find it such a workable program. It's tough not to get excited isn't it?!!

I'm still trying to work on dropping the weight I picked up this weekend after I had what was probably 3UDs in a row for my birthday! *gulp*. Scale is still stickin in the 265s (now at 265.0) so I'm switching my normal MWF DD to doing M Tue TH as DDs then W F as UDs. Sat will be a down day and Sunday a MD then back to my regularly scheduled program. I'm doing it this way to try to get back to my 260 weigh in before the end of the month but also because I have dinner out with my nephew on Wednesday and that's normally a DD for me so I needed to switch up.

Take care everyone and have a great day!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Finally weighed and find myself just where I was 6 weeks ago-hurray for Juddd it really is very forgiving. I thought I had gained through this little crisis, but I was having a DD here and there, maybe once a week, and think it helped. I sure feel a lot better now that I am back on track.
Congratulations to all of you who are doing so well, Leo, I am really interested in your Maintainence progress, just hope to join you in that someday. Maybe next year sometime.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #345
Senior LCF member

Kelly-

I don't know whether you've read the book (or the info at the front of this thread), but according to Dr. Johnson, it's critical to do DDs of no more than 500 cal for the first two weeks that you're on the program. It has to do with activating the SIRT1 gene (whatever that is).

Also, many of us do a 'medium day' (MD) solely to keep our DDs the same each week. For example, I prefer to keep my DDs at M, W, F, so I need to do a MD once to keep that rotation. Some people do 'true alternation' which is just DD, UD, DD, UD, etc., etc. with no MDs. It's your choice.

jiggles-
You probably know that I eat throughout the day on DDs, but I try to only have protein during the day to keep my appetite under control (I'm very sensitive to carbs). When I have my soup, that's always the last meal of the day (because of the carbs involved). Calorie-free liquids really sustain me (black coffee and hot green tea--since I drink both without any cream or sweeteners).

Pooticus-
If I read your 'plan' correctly, you are doing consecutive DDs on Monday and Tuesday. As you probably know, that's NOT to be done on JUDDD, so if you personally choose to do it, I wish you wouldn't post about it because we have so many new members that they may be confused and follow your example.

Nitenurse-
Great about no gain! I truly think that DDs help enormously. Even if you can't do them on a regular basis because of stress, etc., you've seen the benefit of doing one here and there. That's one reason I think maintenance will be easier on JUDDD because it will be relatively easy to go back to low DDs if there's any gain at all.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #346
Senior LCF member

Kelly-

I don't know whether you've read the book (or the info at the front of this thread), but according to Dr. Johnson, it's critical to do DDs of no more than 500 cal for the first two weeks that you're on the program. It has to do with activating the SIRT1 gene (whatever that is).

Also, many of us do a 'medium day' (MD) solely to keep our DDs the same each week. For example, I prefer to keep my DDs at M, W, F, so I need to do a MD once to keep that rotation. Some people do 'true alternation' which is just DD, UD, DD, UD, etc., etc. with no MDs. It's your choice.

jiggles-
You probably know that I eat throughout the day on DDs, but I try to only have protein during the day to keep my appetite under control (I'm very sensitive to carbs). When I have my soup, that's always the last meal of the day (because of the carbs involved). Calorie-free liquids really sustain me (black coffee and hot green tea--since I drink both without any cream or sweeteners).

Pooticus-
If I read your 'plan' correctly, you are doing consecutive DDs on Monday and Tuesday. As you probably know, that's NOT to be done on JUDDD, so if you personally choose to do it, I wish you wouldn't post about it because we have so many new members that they may be confused and follow your example.

Nitenurse-
Great about no gain! I truly think that DDs help enormously. Even if you can't do them on a regular basis because of stress, etc., you've seen the benefit of doing one here and there. That's one reason I think maintenance will be easier on JUDDD because it will be relatively easy to go back to low DDs if there's any gain at all.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Hi Leo41, nitenurse, pooticus, and jiggles! Thank you for the welcome.

Leo41, yes I did read that and thought I had it licked then when I input the 10 baby carrots I ate, I went over. I couldn't believe I was downed by carrots!!! Oh well, tomorrow is another day. What do you generally eat on your DD days?

Heck that said, what do most of you eat on your DD's?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Hi Kel to the Judders. There is a separate thread for Judd Down Day Menus. It is full of good ideas.

Pat
Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
Hi Kel to the Judders. There is a separate thread for Judd Down Day Menus. It is full of good ideas.

Pat
Thanks Pat. I will go check that out.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #350

Well, so far this DD has been way easy. I think this eating every couple of hours is really working for me. I've only been slightly hungry in between "snacks". Nothing that I couldn't handle. This day is so much different that Sunday when I was ready to chew my arm off. Hmm, maybe I've found my trick. If every DD goes like this I can easily stay on this plan. And I'm looking forward to the chicken and broccoli I'll have tonight instead of wishing I could have pizza. LOL

Leo, the soup is keeing me surprisingly full. I wasn't sure if I'd be hungry again right away but I wasn't. Maybe it's because I could eat it slowly by taking small spoonfuls of the broth. I don't think I'm overly sensitive to carbs. I know when I tried Atkins (both times) I never got that sick, foggy, carb withdrawal feeling the first few days. It's a great feeling when we find something that works for us, isn't it?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #351
Senior LCF member

Kelly-
I would never be able to stay under my calorie limit on DDs if I counted as I went along! For both DDs and UDs, I plan my food in advance, including counting, so I know how many calories I will have before the day begins.

On UDs, I allow myself to "substitute" sometimes if I'm in the mood for something different, but that just exchanges something with X number of calories for something else with the same number.

I'm obsessive about trying to get in enough protein (to lose fat rather than muscle), so on DDs, I mainly eat fish (tuna, sardines, salmon) and/or egg white 'omelets.'

Check out the recipe thread for other ideas.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Quote:
Mandy-
Welcome! But do you really 'need' JUDDD? You mention that you're eating low carb and 'not counting' anything--and that may be why you're maintaining rather than losing. When you maintain, you have no calorie deficit, and it doesn't matter whether or not you're eating low carb. You can't lose without a calorie deficit.

So if you figure out the number of calories you're currently eating, and then reduce that by 500cal a day, you should lose about a pound a week.

You're certainly welcome to join us, but it seems to me that this is a radical shift for someone who is not counting at all. For example, I came to JUDDD from generic low carb only because my age and medical situation dictated a very low calorie plan that was almost impossible to maintain on a daily basis.

The reason I mention all this is because, like you, I'm close to maintenance now, and anything you do should be the way you plan to maintain. That is, if you do anything 'extreme' to get off the final pounds, those pounds will return instantly when you change back to your maintenance plan. When you get to goal, you really can only add about 300 cal to what you're eating if you expect to maintain at that level, so it's best to find a way to lose that is consistent with how you plan to maintain.
Thanks for the thoughts, Leo. JUDDD is actually a much more moderate plan than Rapid Fat Loss, which is how I spent the summer. I know how to count, believe me! I have not had success in getting any lower on plain vanilla LC, even with counting and reasonable calorie restriction. I think my body needs to be shaken up a little bit! I look forward to seeing the results of my first 2 weeks.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #353
Senior LCF member

jiggles-

By 'sensitive to carbs' I mean that I can tolerate only a very low level of carbs if I want to lose. When I first did Atkins way back in '72 when he first published, I found that if I went above 30g carbs, I stalled completely. Even now, I rarely have more than 30g of carbs. And if I have more than 10g at any meal, I stimulate my hunger, so that's why I try to stay VLC on DDs.

Mandy-
Thanks for the explanation--you're actually in the same situation as most of us who came to JUDDD--i.e., unable to lose on a more 'traditional' plan. And my own experience is that anytime I try something new to 'shake things up,' I'll experience a loss. Calorie cycling (as in JUDDD) has proven helpful to a lot of folks.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #354
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kelly-
I would never be able to stay under my calorie limit on DDs if I counted as I went along! For both DDs and UDs, I plan my food in advance, including counting, so I know how many calories I will have before the day begins.
Thanks Leo..that makes alot of sense. I am going to plan my meals so that doesn't happen again. Like you I will try to eat as much protein as I can with those calories
Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
DD today.

I'm trying something for the first time: Orgain organic meal replacement drink. It has 255 calories, no saturated fat, 16g of protein, & tons of vitamins & minerals. It claims to contain the equivalent nutrition of 10 servings of fruit and vegetables.

I'm having the chocolate fudge flavor right now. It is so yummy!

I'm glad to know I can use this for some of my DDs.

Also, a book I ordered from amazon arrived today: Betty Crocker: The 300-Calorie Cookbook. I plan to try out at least one recipe per week.

I need lots of variety for my DD - all healthy foods - or I will get bored, start to feel "deprived," etc. So I want to try out a lot of different dinners for my 500 calories.

I'm so glad to have found JUDDD! I'm having fun!
Cynthia
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #356
Senior LCF member

Cynthia-
Your post shows how different we all are and how good weight loss depends on doing what works for each of us individually.

I envy you that meal replacement shake that seems perfect because I've discovered that I can't do anything with artificial sweeteners. My body seems to react to them just as though they were the 'real' thing, and I get hunger and cravings. That really limits me, but I have to deal with it.

Also, your recipe book seems ideal for DDs, but, alas, I've learned that I actually do best to stay away from cooking and eat basically the same things on my DDs!

Again, this is just a difference in how we function best, but I think it's an important point to make. Too often on the Main Lobby I read posts where people seem to be just doing what others are reporting on, but not having success, and then they're puzzled. I think it's great to read what other people do, but it all has to be balanced with self-knowledge about what works and doesn't work for ME.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #357
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
Yes, Leo, I agree. Our bodies differ in their responses to food. Even in terms of timing: I notice that some people feel best spreading out their food on DD, while others (like me) are most comfortable with just one meal. I barely notice fasting during the day, and don't feel any hunger at all until dinnertime.

My weight is down another 1/2 pound this morning.

However, I've got some pain in my fingers. Yesterday I was pretty much pain-free.

The culprit may have been the Orgain. It doesn't have any artificial sweeteners, but it does have some "evaporated cane juice," which is just another name for sucrose, i.e., white sugar, which I know is pro-inflammatory for me.

I also had a Vitamin Water Zero yesterday, for the first time, which is zero calories & is sweetened with a small amount of crystalline fructose, i.e., fruit sugar. I don't know if that is pro-inflammatory for me or not.

Guess I got a little carried away with experimenting, having two new items on the same day. I think I will try each of them again in the future, but only one at a time.

For today, I will eat very cleanly and avoid all known pro-inflammatory foods. That still allows me to eat a wide range of delicious and healthy foods on this UD.

Wishing everyone a good & a happy day!
Cynthia
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #358
Senior LCF member

Cynthia-
You're right about trying new things one at a time to find out how they affect you. I'm sure it was the sugar in both or one of those things because I find that any sugar brings on pain with me.

I wish that I could do DDs as you do! Studies seem to show that the longer without any food at all, the better it is both for our bodies and for weight loss. But if I think I can't eat, I tend to get anxious and feel deprived, etc. All things that can lead to a binge. So I stay with just eating 'whever' on DDs.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #359
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Good morning ladies. I ended up doing an UD yesterday so that I am on my regular MWF schedule for DDs.

Sorry to say I've decided this will be my last post with you.

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you all! I will continue to post on the "other" thread.

Good day and God Bless.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Morning all!

I finished my UP yesterday with 1407 calories.

Today is my DD and I have already gravitated from my plan. I decided not to have my protein drink after my workout today, saving those calories for later when I actually get hungry. I am still trying to work out the bugs (so to speak) that work for me. I do know my DD will be based off low carb choices. More protein bang for my buck.

pooticus I certainly understand where you are coming from. We all have to do what feels right. See ya on the "other" side.

Last edited by kel7298; 09-29-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Closed Thread