Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #121
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Tammy-
Two apples? It's probably because I'm so carb sensitive, but 2 apples would make me absolutely ravenous. The only way I can manage JUDDD is strict low carb, but that's because I already know that my CCL is about 30g a day.

But even with people who are not as sensitive to carbs, the best breakfast is protein/fat--like a scrambled egg in butter. People who say that if they eat breakfast, then they're hungry the rest of the day are usually eating cereal or toast--or fruit. It's all because of the carbs.

By the way, it's not only your body--it takes our bodies about 48 hrs [sometimes longer] to fully process what we eat to the extent that a gain or loss shows on the scale. The people who claim to gain 'overnight' are experiencing bloat from too much sodium or other types of water retention.

Michelle-
Please don't hesitate to post when you're off plan. I think it helps to stay in touch. The 'mental aspect' of all this is so challenging, but you have terrific fortitude, and I know you'll get back on track.

Jessica-
I always plan both UDs and DDs because I find that calories can get high very, very quickly. I don't consider it anal; I call it 'prudent.' Planning has been the key to my own success with JUDDD. That doesn't mean I follow the plan slavishly. Since I know the calorie count of practically everything in my kitchen, I sometimes "exchange" things that I've planned, substituting something with the same or similar calorie count that I feel more like having at that moment.

Being less hungry when we wake up after a DD is a phenomenon that most of us on JUDDD are familiar with, and here's a non-scientific way to explain it that I like. A while ago, someone posted here that she made her peace with DDs because she read that "hunger is the body's warning to you that if you don't give it some food, it will tap into your fat stores." Since that's what she wanted to happen, hunger on DDs didn't bother her so much!

If that's actually true, then as we sleep (having ignored the body's hunger signals), it taps into our fat stores so that when we wake up, our body is satisfied, and we're no longer hungry--but weigh less!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Tammy-

A while ago, someone posted here that she made her peace with DDs because she read that "hunger is the body's warning to you that if you don't give it some food, it will tap into your fat stores." Since that's what she wanted to happen, hunger on DDs didn't bother her so much!

If that's actually true, then as we sleep (having ignored the body's hunger signals), it taps into our fat stores so that when we wake up, our body is satisfied, and we're no longer hungry--but weigh less!
Now that is a WONDERFUL way to frame things.

Actually, last evening when I was feeling hungry, I decided to tell myself to SAVOR the feeling, because it meant that I was doing something good for my body and spirit, and you know, I really did kind of enjoy the hunger.

Sometimes I think that deep in the soul of every overweight person is a deep-rooted and powerful fear of hunger, of not having enough to live and thrive. The idea of going into that fear and just letting myself feel it-- remove it from the scary unknown and make it into a place that I am familiar with and that holds no mysteries--is a powerful idea to me. I think that's something that I can learn, am learning, from JUDDD. (And I know it's not a new idea--that monks and yogis and others on the spiritual path have used fasting and hunger as a tool for self-knowledge for eons, now. But for ME, it's a very new idea!)

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
I hate hunger! It's not a feeling I enjoy....ever. I'd be lying if I said anything different.

Eating apples doesn't bother me at all. I can't eat more than 2 a day though. That's my limit.

This is an UD for me and I'm at 1165 calories.....I maybe can get up to 1600 cals. We'll see!
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Good evening everyone!

I loved it when Leo told me that about the fat stores. It may me savor being hungry but i cant let it go too long. If i do i get a little lightheaded.

Good DD for me today. My morning didnt start off to well tho. For some reason my dumb butt didnt take my phone off of vibrate so it didnt wake me up and i woke up at 630! I have to be at 730! I made it but i didnt get my jog in this morning and i was really looking forward to it. If it wasnt so damn hot i would jog this evening but ill just wait. I had some of my snacks about 9 or so and then had a can of crab meat (60 cals) about 1030, my homemade soup for lunch and some more snacks later in the day. More soup for dinner tonight. My mm came over last night and tried my soup and liked it so much she begged me for a bowl...lol I gave her one but i had 6 bowls perfectly portioned out for this week so i adjusted them a made an extra bowl. Each bowl is 1 cup now and about 120 cals per bowl instead of 159 so that helps a little. Cals will be pretty low today since i didnt get up and jog and have my protein shake this morning.

I agree about going to bed hungry and then waking up not hungry that it is very strange. My first couple of DD's i went to bed thinking, "omg, im going to get up and eat somethign as soon as i wake up", nuts were calling my name! But i woke up and wasnt hungry, just wanted a cup of coffee with some hwc since i use almond milk on DD's. Its a pretty cool thing!!!

And still no baby! She is having contractions but they arent strong enough or steady enough for anything major to happen. Soon, very soon though!

Have a good evening everyone! And im glad i can eat tomoro! Im ready for some scrambled eggs in butter and some cottage cheese for breakfast.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
OK...have had two horribly out of control UD's and that terrifies me, as that was my undoing each time I've attempted JUDD in the past. Amazingly enough I lost .5lb this morning after yesterday's UD when I had actually gained that .5lb after my DD. There is no reason for me to CHOOSE to be so out of control on UD's....and yes, I realize I am making a choice. It just seems to be that whole "depravation" thing on DD's that triggers it for me.

Well, DD today and I feel in control. I guess what I need to do is plan my UD's as methodically as I do the DD's. Haven't even been counting calories on the UD's and guess I need to start. I HATE counting calories!

Anyway, feel like a lot of this is water weight and hopefully I will get rid of it today. Has been a very stressful last few days too with my computer crashing and my mom having some surgery. That probably hasn't helped. I leave for Indiana to see my son and his family Friday for a long weekend and probably won't get any DD's in for F, S,and S....but will try to keep everything in control.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
_2096035a0fsxt0umn.gif Good morning JUDDDers!

Michelle If you can go back a couple of pages, I posted a link to an article that refers to the benefits of on-line weight loss support and weekly weighing. I will never go without weighing weekly again. When I do, I always assume I weigh much less than I actually do.

My 1400 calorie a day experiment is interesting. I can't say I'm any less hungry than I am on DD's. I do like the parameters of 1400 calories every day. It feels a little more controlling than JUDDD, which I like. I know that if I did LC, I could get this hunger under control. However, I want to try and have success with exercising will power. Will keep you posted.

Have a nice day everyone!

Last edited by Redeemed; 08-10-2010 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: sentence structure
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #127
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-
As you probably know, Ouis has stopped doing JUDDD because she found that DDs gave her a feeling of deprivation that led to overeating on UDs, so perhaps this same phenomenon is affecting you.

However, if you're not counting, I'd suggest that's the problem. I always count (in advance) my calories for UDs--even if I plan deliberately to have a relatively high UD, which I do about once a month--because my experience has been that even if I just count "as I go along," the calories add up much too fast. I count UDs and DDs the same way--at least a day before so that I'm sure I have the food I need in the house. This way, on the actual day, I'm not really counting--it's all been done in advance. Would that help you, since you hate to count?

If I don't count, I eat too much--it's that simple. It's like Redeemed says about weighing. When I didn't weigh regularly, I totally underestimated my weight. If I don't count, I know I'll underestimate what I'm eating, and the pounds will come back. Even in maintenance, I know I need to keep counting.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Good Morning JUDDDers!

I had an awesome down day yesterday, and went to bed hungry! But, I did it and lost 3 lbs of water overnight. I have my UD completely planned out today and even got up a little early this morning to make breakfast. I can't remember the last time I ate breakfast. I am experimenting to see if it will keep me full. I had eggs, bacon and 1/2 of a one minute muffin. As of right now (2 hours later) I am stuffed!

Redeemed - I agree about the on-line support. I know that I do better when I am posting and reading about others successes and pitfalls. I am a daily weigher. I HAVE to weigh everyday. I feel like I go into denial rather quickly when I am not weighing. I told myself no matter how much it hurts I am going to get on in the morning and see what I weigh.

I also made it back to the gym yesterday. I haven't done that since I got back from vacation. It felt great!!

Michelle

Hypothyroid

Mini-goals:
120 115 110
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning!

I will be having a down day today. I had a MUCH improved, although not perfect, up day yesterday, so I feel I'm moving in the right direction. I did eat a few unplanned-for things, but only a few, and I stayed low carb.

We have to remember that we can improve as we go, that we don't have to throw all our effort out the window each time we feel like we screwed up. It's an ever-evolving process, and perfection is not an appropriate goal.

The DDs are pretty easy for me, due to such limited options, and it gives me a pause to think through what my challenges are on up days.

I think that with a pretty good one under my belt for yesterday, I know that with some planning and thought, I can have an EVEN BETTER one tomorrow.

And I agree with the posts above--online support, including daily reading and reporting, is absolutely imperative for me. Even if no one were reading it, the act of writing down my thoughts and behaviors creates good self-awareness and good habits!

Happy Tuesday, everybody. I'm getting my gray roots "washed away" this morning, and that always improves my outlook on life (and keeps my head from blinding people when the sun hits it at a certain angle! )

Last edited by verbqueen; 08-10-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

For all of you soup lovers....saw this on Healthy Girl's Kitchen blog this morning. I didn't stop to figure out calorie count, but if one serving is only 1 WW point, it should be low. Sounds good to me!!

Healthy Girl's Best Friend Soup
In my opinion, there is just no easier way to lose weight than by adding low calorie, high nutrient, soups to your daily diet. Here's the recipe for one of my favorites. 2 cups=1 Weight Watcher point

1 large onion, peeled and diced
6 cups vegetable broth
6 regular sized zucchini, diced large
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp seasoning blend of your choice
8 ounces frozen spinach
1 box frozen winter/butternut squash
1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Heat soup pot on medium. Pour in a few tablespoons of vegetable broth. When the broth is bubbling, add onions and saute them until translucent. Adjust temperature on pot to prevent onions from burning.

Add the remaining vegetable broth and all of the zucchini to the pot. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp seasoning blend of your choice. Bring soup to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to low and simmer until zucchini are cooked through and soft. Add frozen spinach and stir. Using a hand/immersion blender, puree soup.

Add frozen butternut squash and stir until squash is defrosted. Add almond milk and stir. Taste soup and adjust seasoning if necessary.

A bowl of vegan yumminess!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #131
Senior LCF member

Thanks, Sherrie-

You'll probably think I'm nuts, but I plan to try this without the squash or the almond milk--just onions, zucchini, and spinach. That will be a little different than my broccoli soup, and zucchini is plentiful here right now.

In fact, since I don't have any broth prepared right now (I usually keep some in the freezer), I think that if I add celery to those other vegetables, it would be tasty enough cooked in just water (i.e., I'd get a 'vegetable broth' along with the cooked veggies).

DD today, and I'm still struggling with this 'true alternation,' since Tuesday has been an UD for me for the past 18 months! But just one more week, and I'll happily go back to my M, W, Fri schedule. It's amazing what a creature of habit I am

Last edited by Leo41; 08-10-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #132
Senior LCF member

Double posted trying to correct a spelling error!

Last edited by Leo41; 08-10-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Old 08-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Sherrie That soup is just the kind I like to have! I had a soup like that yesterday - zucchini and spinach without the squash. I used unsweetened coconut milk instead of almond milk because it is creamier, no soy, and a good source of omegas and Vit. D. It was delicious. I have decided to still have the soups that I make at lunchtime with my 1400 calorie days. I'm using chia seeds today for a snack of "tapioca pudding" to help quell hungar. Today is going much better than the last two days. I tried to make zucchini fritters for brekkie, but came out with a plate of mush. I'll try again because I think it's a calorie, carb, vitamin bargain.

ETA: For the soup, I use low sodium vegetable broth. I think that helps with the water retention.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Hi, getting back on track. Finding I do best, as I did last year, on having mostly liquids on the DDs. Today it's been shakes and soup, and doing ok. My experiment on the weekend with 2 mds, was kind of a wreck. One turned into a UD and one was a DD, which is working ok with the Tues Thurs DD idea. Oh, well, as always-just try different things, til something works.
I think I am finding that low carb bread, even those that are supposed to be zero carb (all fiber), just make me hungrier and give me a stomach ache. So back to the liquids, which make my stomach happy. I think the UDs will have a lot more vegs in them this year.
I am so happy and inspired for you Leo.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

Sherrie, the soup recipe looks really delicious! I think next week I will try to do a little cooking for my DD meals. On this 2 weeks of induction, I've just tried to avoid the kitchen and any sort of decision-making or measuring, and stick to pre-packaged items. (But I sense that I could eat far better if I cooked some things for myself.)

I had a really good DD today. Actually, all of my DDs have been good ones--I'm happy that I've not exceeded 500 calories on any of them! I think I'm seeing that I do REALLY well with highly structured days (DDs) and that I am not yet ready for making decisions on the fly (UDs).

With that said, I'm going to enter tomorrow's Up Day into ****** tonight, and challenge myself to stick to it exactly, with no deviations. If I need structure, then I'll just give myself some structure!

In the meantime, I am really enjoying JUDDD, even the down days!

Last edited by verbqueen; 08-10-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #136
Senior LCF member

Hi Nitenurse-
It wasn't a 'wreck' if you managed to turn one of those MDs into a DD! When I first started, all my MDs turned into UDs!!

The way you describe your reaction to even low carb breads suggests that, like me, you may be 'sensitive' to gluten. I feel best completely grain free. I don't think I have an allergy; it's just that I react a little to wheat-based products, and I truly lose better without them. I've read that even if you can tolerate a food to which you have a sensitivity, it can slow your weight loss.

Jessica-
You're really doing great! I, too, try never to fuss with food (i.e., cooking), especially on DDs. What works for me is when I want to make something like soup, I pick an UD when I'll have time to cook and make up a batch. Then I freeze it in single-serving containers. It's nice to have prepared things available on both UDs and DDs.

I really like your term "giving structure" rather than "counting calories." When I look back to when I 'knew' I needed to lose weight and didn't seem able to do so, I see that my eating was totally without structure. I still held the delusion that I could eat like 'normal people.' Now I know that I will forever need a 'structured' eating plan. Fortunately, I find that I prefer eating this way
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Thanks for the input. I have quite a bit of wheat protein isolate, which is still wheat, even though it has no carbs to speak of. I have been thinking I would use it up making some no carb cookies and bread, which I have some pretty decent recipes for, for an occasional treat on uds. I think I did that last year,
but it still is wheat, and I am beginning to think it makes me feel really tired and depressed, and also the stomach ache. So even if it just slows the weight loss, I should just throw it in the garbage.
I am a Depression/WWII baby, growing up with parents who absolutely wasted nothing, so it is really hard for me to throw away food. lol. As I type this, I can't believe how ridiculous that is.
Anyway, thanks for the input. Leo, did you ever use the WPI flour and did you still have the same reaction as regular grains? What about flax seed, is that also the same?
(I have some of that in the freezer, too). I am constantly amazed at the mind games I play.
Anyway, had a happy DD with my liquids, and I am feeling better, and think I might be getting back on the wagon. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Got a plan for Vegs and meat for the UD, looking forward to it.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #138
Senior LCF member

Nitenurse-

No, I've never used any WPI flour, and I think flaxseed is guten free, so that might not be a problem, but you should check on that because I'm not sure.

I've been eating low carb for years, so I rarely had bread. However, a 'staple' of my own plan were the bran crackers that I bought from Netrition. I used to have 2 or 3 a day, most in the morning. They helped keep me 'regular,' and I thought it was the fiber, but now in retrospect, since I've discovered this gluten sensitivity, I think they just irritated my digestive system, which is not a good way to be 'regular.'

I had read that many people with Hashimoto's are gluten sensitive, so I experimented with having no gluten at all for about a month. Then I ate a lot of bread during dinner at a local Indian restaurant (where the bread is fresh, warm, and delicious). Within 2 hours, I had the most violent stomach cramps and diarrhea. About a month later, I did another experiment with a similar result.

Since this sensitivity means that any gluten I eat will have a negative effect on my body (no matter how little I may react), I avoid grains in general. Quite frankly, since I've given them up, I haven't had any real desire (except occasionally for a bagel, when I have to remind myself that it's not good for me!).

As for the weight loss, I've been losing better since I gave up grains and dairy, but I don't know whether that's the reason or not. Other people always report that as they get 'near goal,' their loss slows down or they stall, but I'm having the opposite experience, so it may be that I'm finally eating in a way that suits my body.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica....I too like the terms "structure" or "control" rather than counting calories. I too have been doing better (and easier) with DD's than UD's.

I wanted to get in a full two weeks of 500 calorie DD's, before upping my DD calories to 600-700, but yesterday ended up at 675. I've had some arrythmia problems in the past if I lose a lot of fluid volume (water weight) in one day and when at 500 calories I saw I had only had 400mg of sodium for the day, I got scared and had some light soup. Those extra 100-200 calories on DD's just cut that "deprivation" mindset for me and I think will allow me to be more in control on UD's.

So my plan from here forward is to do 600-700 calorie DD's 3days/week and 1800-2000 UD's 4days/week. If I'm figuring this out right, I should still average between 1300-1500 calories/day and should be able to lose on that amount. Of course, traveling this weekend will raise some havoc with that plan, but will start it all on Monday.

I just know me and if I start feeling deprived in anyway, it's gonna trigger destructive behavior. Yet, I really believe in JUDD's alternate eating pattern and will just try tweaking it to what works for my body (and mind).
Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I had read that many people with Hashimoto's are gluten sensitive, so I experimented with having no gluten at all for about a month. Then I ate a lot of bread during dinner at a local Indian restaurant (where the bread is fresh, warm, and delicious). Within 2 hours, I had the most violent stomach cramps and diarrhea. About a month later, I did another experiment with a similar result.
This is so interesting to me. I am VERY sensitive to wheat, and every time I eat more than a very small amount, I am plagued with cramps and diarrhea. For years I thought I had IBS--I even had a colonoscopy because of my diarrhea problems (colon was completely normal), but when I did Atkins for the first time years ago, my "IBS" went away overnight. Took me a long time to put 2 and 2 together and figure out it's the wheat.

And I see the endo today to find out what my thyroid nodes are about, and how my Hashi's antibody tests came out.

Very interesting.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #141
Senior LCF member

Jessica-

If you have Hashi's, I'm sure gluten is the problem. I didn't opt for any further testing because I've heard that this probably isn't actually 'celiac,' but just a strong sensitivity, and the testing is unreliable also. The best test is elimination, as I did.

By the way, I have a friend who has had Hashi's for over 20 years. For about 10 years, she's been plagued with migraines--really debilitating ones. She has been to all sorts of specialists, but no one could find a cause. She and her husband lost some weight on Atkins a few years ago, but she didn't connect the absence of her headaches during that brief period until recently when, having again gained a little, she did Atkins induction and realized that she was headache free. She then checked online, and one of the 'reactions' to gluten in those who are sensitive is. . .migraine headaches! She's been free of headaches ever since but is amazed that with all the doctors she consulted, not one of them ever suggested a problem with gluten.

She also didn't know about the Hashi's/gluten connection. Apparently, the same antibodies that attack our thyroid are 'attracted' to gluten, so if gluen is consumed, those same antibodies attack the intestines--which is why although I have only 'minor' cramps if I occasionally eat a bagel, I don't do that because I know that it's doing damage to my body.

Last edited by Leo41; 08-11-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #142
Senior LCF member

I'd like to share two things with my JUDDD friends about my birthday today.

1) Thoughtful family

At 9:30 this morning, a 'cake' was delivered to me. The card (from my sister and niece) said that it was 'no calorie' and that's because it's made of mums and carnations (white and pink). It's on a ceramic cake stand and has birthday candles decorating the top. It's beautiful, and I love flowers. They are so supportive of my WOE!

2) I treated myself today to 'faux ice cream,' and it was amazing. Someone posted about this a while ago, and I remember that Ouis confirmed that it's wonderful. I love ice cream, but I try to avoid dairy and sugar (or AS). Normally, I don't eat fruit either, but I consider that an acceptable indulgence on occasion.

I bought some ripe bananas, peeled them, and put them in the freezer in a baggie a few days ago. When I took them out, I could easily break them into pieces and crush them in the blender. It was amazing--exactly the consistency of ice cream--and so sweet! If you think you'd like banana ice cream, this is for you. It has to be an occasional indulgence because you really don't save on calories or carbs, but I'm into healthy eating, and I think this is an ice cream substitute that really works!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Quote:

1) Thoughtful family

At 9:30 this morning, a 'cake' was delivered to me. The card (from my sister and niece) said that it was 'no calorie' and that's because it's made of mums and carnations (white and pink). It's on a ceramic cake stand and has birthday candles decorating the top. It's beautiful, and I love flowers. They are so supportive of my WOE!

2) I treated myself today to 'faux ice cream,' and it was amazing. Someone posted about this a while ago, and I remember that Ouis confirmed that it's wonderful. I love ice cream, but I try to avoid dairy and sugar (or AS). Normally, I don't eat fruit either, but I consider that an acceptable indulgence on occasion.

I bought some ripe bananas, peeled them, and put them in the freezer in a baggie a few days ago. When I took them out, I could easily break them into pieces and crush them in the blender. It was amazing--exactly the consistency of ice cream--and so sweet! If you think you'd like banana ice cream, this is for you. It has to be an occasional indulgence because you really don't save on calories or carbs, but I'm into healthy eating, and I think this is an ice cream substitute that really works!
Happy Birthday Leo!! That is so nice of your family!

I do the same thing with bananas, it really feels like ice cream to me! It is so good!!
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #144
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:

1) Thoughtful family

Leo!

The banana "ice cream" sounds delicious. My son likes a little banana in smoothies for breakfast before school- but not the whole thing so we would wind up with a half of black slimy banana lying around all the time. It is also hard to have one at the right stage of ripeness everyday too.

I buy the bags of really cheap almost-too-ripe bananas in the grocery store, mash them up and put them in an ice cube tray sprayed with coconut oil (I found spray CO at Whole Foods), freeze them then take the cubes out and put them in a baggie in the freezer. Viola, perfectly ripe banana anytime.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Birthday Leo!!! What a sweet idea from your supportive family! They must be as proud of you as we all are. Have a great day and glad you "indulged" on your banana ice cream. That cake sounds fantastic.

Several years ago when I had lost 70lb on another plan, my friends made a birthday cake for me entirely out of vegetables. It was truly beautiful and I appreciated the thought that went with it as I'm sure you did your family's.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Happy birthday Leo!!! what your family did was great! That was really thoughtful of them.

I also like the idea of the control and not just looking at counting calories. I love the control i have on DD's. Now if i can just work on my UD's...lol I am probably too low most of the time on my UD's because im afraid of going too high.

DD for me today. EAS protein shake for breakfast, cucumber and celery for snacks, my homemade chicken soup for lunch, 3oz of swiss steak and brocolli for dinner, i was right under 500 cals

I put that recipe above into my daily plate as best as i could to see what it came out to. I didnt know how many servings to use though. I am gonna have to play with it. I put it in as 6 servings and also added 3 cups of brocolli/cauli mix to the recipe and it comes out to be 75 cals and 8.63 carbs per serving. Im gonna make it this weekend i think and i will measure everything and see how the recipe really comes out with servings and everything. It looks like it will be very low cal and low carb though. it sounds so good and i cant wait to make it. I love eating soup on DD's. Making it on the weekend and then putting portions in the fridge for the week. It makes it so nice and so easy.

Have a good evening everyone! UD tomorrow so i gotta go make my eggs and cottage cheese to take to work with me.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Leo: 003.gif
Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello All-

Happy Birthday Leo !!!!

I am new to JUDDD. Have been low carb off and on for several years. Lost 60 pounds on it in 2005 (I think) and gained back 40. Tried WW and lost 20 and then stalled for 2 years (glad I was not paying for meetings, just following on my own). Started back on low carb in April. After the first water flush I have not really lost anything. I bounce from 240-246. I saw 238 once briefly but am now at 240.5 again.

I have to lose this weight, so quitting is not an option. I feel better on low carb so have been reading up on some of the variations. I usually eat 1200 - 1400 calories, 10-30 carbs.

I went to the JUDDD website and read that this plan helps reverse insulun resistance. It is worth a try, Have read through this months thread and it sounds like some of you have been doing this a long time and with good results.

I tried a down day today and have done well except for a planning screw up. Was steaming some cabbage for lunch with a little teriyaki and had a brain storm (always dangerous for me). Pulled my granddaughters ramen noodles out and read the package 190 calories. Dumped them in with the cabbage and added some water. Then thought, "How many servings????" Pulled the package out of the trash and it said 2 servings. So I am at 535 calories for today. So far so good, but the night is not over. If I can resist eating any more I will be fine. I'll let you know tomorrow if I went over.

Any hints or suggestions will be appreciated. I weigh daily, am interested to see how this affects the daily bounces.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
I just looked at my carb count for the day...65 ....It's a wonder I haven't passed out from carb overload. LOL I guess I won't do that again.
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Birthday, Leo! Hope it was a glorious one! (Sounds like it was very nice)

My endo visit was sort of disappointing. My thyroid numbers were in the lower range of normal, but not out of line. Hashimoto's tests were all negative. My nodules are not large enough to biopsy, yet, but need to be looked at again next year.

My cholesterol, blood sugar, all that stuff, were all excellent.

So I guess I shouldn't really be unhappy about any of it, but I was hoping for some answers about my 8-month long plateau, and I got none.

Why can't I lose weight at ANY calorie, carb or activity level?

Guess I've really got ALL my hopes pinned on JUDDD now.