Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Mary! I am kinda new also. I am just going into my second week.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi Mary- welcome to the group. I hope JUDDD will kick start your weight loss. Don't worry about not reading the book. Unlike with Atkins, where the mantra is, "read the book", this plan is really pretty simple and most of the book is unnecessary. Kind of a disappointment, actually. Part of the problem is that Dr. J is adamantly against low carb which is kind of ignorant, in my opinion. Especially when you look at someone like Leo who is probably one of the biggest success stories EVER for Juddd. My belief is that he stumbled upon a simple concept that works on a number of levels, and that he does not really even get it himself. The SIRT thing may be right, but it isn't the whole story.
Anyway, welcome, and good luck.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. We plan to go out with our best friends tonight for dinner, and there is going to be a party next weekend. A "redneck hoedown" with a country band and goofy games, etc. It should be fun.
Since it is my 50th, I relented and let my friends do the party thing. Normally, I get embarrassed and like to keep things very low key.
Feeling every bit of my 50 years today, with a sore back from moving a rug at work, achy hip, and arthritis in one of my feet. Aaarrrrgghh!
Going to make myself work out today, and start the year right.

Redeemed-- great job on the 30 lb club!

Last week of summer everybody (well sort of, since many kids are already back at school). Have a great week!!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Jodi I usually only have one high calorie day a week. Last week was the exception. I still came out with a loss, but I wouldn't count on that being the norm. I'm glad you had a nice time at the Mexican restaurant. That soup sounds delicious!

Snaggle Think of 50 as a milestone and an accomplishment! It took a great deal of tenacity and pressing on to get to 50!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #424
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Happy Birthday, Snaggle!

Your plans for celebration sound great--and 50 is definitely a milestone to celebrate. And at 69, I consider 50 just about the end of adolescence

I suspect that Dr. J was following his editor's advice with the low carb thing--i.e., trying to 'market' JUDDD to those who can't or won't do low carb or cash in on the anti-low carb attitude of the media. When you do a book proposal, one of the features is to distinguish your book from others.

What he should have written is that JUDDD is compatible with every type of diet plan--so that if you eat low carb, low fat, WW, primal, etc., etc., JUDDD will totally enhance the benefits of that plan. But I suspect, as you point out, that he was very new to all this and really didn't realize the ramifications of his own plan. One indication of his naivete is the fact that his 'book' is so unnecessary. The reason that Atkins and Eades made big money is that their books are not only essential but very, very helpful to their plans. But anyone can follow JUDDD just from the website.

Sherrie-
No matter what the scale says tomorrow, consider your month a success for having lost that vacation weight. We both know how a slight gain can snowball until we've gained significantly. Getting back on track the way you did is cause for congratulation

Jodie-
I have a thought about your DD hunger based on my experience-=so I'll share it in case it's relevant. I used artificial sweeteners for years, and I assumed that diet soda would be my salvation on DDs--fill me up easily with no calories. But because of the low calories on DDs, I noticed something I'd never noticed before--artificial sweeteners make me hungry! What that means is that my body is responding to them just as though they're sugar--I get an insulin response, thus the hunger. I've read that this happens to some people, and I am one of them. So that EAS shake may be doing that to you.

I'm not saying that I don't get hungry on DDs, but with diet soda, I was ravenous. My hunger now is more of an 'empty' feeling that's not unpleasant.
So you may want to check this out. Giving up all sweeteners 20 months ago has been one of the best things I've ever done.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #425
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Morning, everyone. Sounds like we are all on board and doing well with the plan. I wanted to mention that I'm eating about the same calories as Redeemed, and am definitely losing steadily, so far. So don't be afraid to at least see if you can eat to satisfaction on Up Days. My experience so far seems to be that I lose better when I don't go too conservative on UDs. My body seems to respond well to a significant contrast between Up and Down Day calorie intake.

Interestingly, this is something I learned about myself a number of years ago when doing WW. I lost well for about 8 weeks, then came to a sudden and crashing halt. I didn't lose anything for weeks and weeks in a row. None of the WW counselors could understand what had happened to me, and I know they thought I was cheating, but I wasn't. Then I came across something on one of the WW message boards on the Internet--something called the "Wendie Plan." It took your daily "point" allotment, totalled it up for the week, and divided that total amount of points into high, low, and medium days. (Sound familiar? ) Soon as I started the Wendie Plan, I immediately resumed losing. And I'm pretty sure that that's why reading through the JUDDD threads struck a nerve with me--I remembered how well my body responded to juggling my WW points.

(Just for what it's worth, here is a description of that plan, if anyone is interested in doing a comparison: The Wendie Plan ) The most telling quote from that write-up: "The Wendie Plan is very simple. You follow a simple plan of eating. You eat your regular foods that you have on WW. You work within your point range. You drink the water, get some exercise, etc., etc., etc. What is different? You alternate the amount of points you use each day." As I said, familiar indeed.

As I continued to work the Wendie Plan, I figured out that if I made the low days even lower and the high ones even higher, I lost even better. My eventual conclusion, strongly reinforced by my happy experience with JUDDD, is that some of us have bodies that VERY QUICKLY figure out if we are eating in a consistent pattern every day, and very quickly adapt to that pattern. What can I say--some of us just have very *smart* metabolisms. Some of us just have the dubious blessing of having bodies that are NOT going to let us waste away and starve to death. If we lived during a time of famine, I suppose we'd be very grateful.

For those who can glide smoothly all the way to goal following the same plan all the way, whether that is WW, Atkins, or whatever, none of this stuff applies. But for those others of us, "confusing" the metabolism is the only way it's going to work for us. Sometimes, a little confusion can be a very good thing!

And on that note, I'm off to enjoy a successful DD!

Happy JUDDDing, everybody!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #426
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Happy Birthday Snaggle!!!!

Leo- I will pay attention to how I react to the shakes. The AS reaction may be what got me yesterday. I had a 'Pepsie 0' in early afternoon and then was very hungry. Normally I only allow myself a glass of diet pop at bed time so don't notice any appetite surge.

Ladies- I am planning on starting TTapp on Wednesday. Will be taking measurements and pictures for before and during comparison. Wed. is my 60th birthday so a fitting time to get shaped up. I'll let you know what I think of the program as I go along...it is supposed to be no impact and good for those with arthritis and joint/back issues. 15 minutes a day.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Sally I drink Dr. Zevia on DD's. It has saved me many a DD's because it is delicious and filling. I do not have any cravings afterwards. I bought it at the health food store in my area, but it can be purchased through Netrition. I am not encouraging anyone to drink pop, but I think it is a better alternative to anything with aspertane or anyother AS. Zevia is made with stevia. I should add it tasts best over ice.

ETA: Zevia does not have any calories or carbs.

Last edited by Redeemed; 08-30-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

As far as the artificial stuff I will keep an eye on it. It doesnt seem to be until dinner time (which is when I usually have some sorta meal) that I get horrible hunger pains after I have eaten. I sip my shake from morning till around 3pm and have the empty feeling. Which I agree is not unpleasant.

Redeemed I made cauliflower soup the other day with coconut milk!!! Awesome!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #429
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy BD, Snaggle! And early happy BD, Sally!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
As far as the artificial stuff I will keep an eye on it. It doesnt seem to be until dinner time (which is when I usually have some sorta meal) that I get horrible hunger pains after I have eaten. I sip my shake from morning till around 3pm and have the empty feeling. Which I agree is not unpleasant.

Redeemed I made cauliflower soup the other day with coconut milk!!! Awesome!
I'll have to try the cauliflower soup. I haven't made that yet. I love the coconut milk in soup. I have tried it plain, and it tasts kind of chalky to me.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
OMG! I completely forgot how great JUDD is! I used to eat this way and now I am back in a complete frenzy trying to begin losing again. Absolutely nothing I am doing is working. My DH is gone for about 3 weeks each month (he's a trucker) and during that time I have to hit it hard. We have been under a great deal of stress due to his job and a health issue and believe me that doesn't make for fertile ground to lose anything except your looks. LOL! Anyhoo, when he leaves in two days I will begin. I do find that on my UP days I do better if I put my food in to my software (I use LifeForm) and at least to begin with sort of restrict myself. Eating 500 cals a day isn't a really big deal, and on the UP days it will work better for me if I monitor closely. The bottom line is if it works I will stay on plan, even if the loss is 1-2 lbs a week I'll take it! My plan for UP days is to keep my carbs between 60-100 with moderate fat, and on DD's higher carbs. This ole' body needs some serious attention. Old is never really fun, but old and fat is a real bummer! Pray for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #432
Senior LCF member

Jessica-
That is so interesting about the Wendie Plan (I took a look at it!). And I think you're absolutely correct about the 'difference' between UD and DD being important. Since I had to keep my UD calories fairly low to lose, I lowered my DD calories (to 300-350) because I suspected (but had no evidence) that it's important to keep the difference as significant as possible.

That's probably why Dr. J recommends raising DD calories for maintenance. With the difference diminished, it's probably easier to stop losing. But I'm thinking of doing the opposite. I only do 3 DDs a week, and it will be easy to keep them at 300-350 cal (that's what I'm used to) and play around with my UD calories--raising them to maintain, but lowering them if I seem to gain.

Those DDs have been very good to me, and I just don't want to lose the 'habit' of doing them. And I'd also like to eventually go down to about 155--very, very slowly, and that will be easier if I keep my DDs and manipulate the UDs, it seems to me.

Suze!

You're not fat--perhaps just a little 'fluffy.' JUDDD can help you take care of that, as you can see from reading our little board here.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #433
Major LCF Poster!

Suze 651171i085p8my3i.gif Hope you have great success with JUDDD!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #434
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, Suze!

I think this will work beautifully for you--especially when your husband is out on the road, since not having to cook for another person will make your Down Days even easier.

Leo, I'm glad you took a look at that WW variation. Didn't mean to go off an a long tangent, but for me it certainly indicates that my body has already shown a preference for a wide variation in food intake. (Or maybe that would be a lack of preference--since doing so causes me to "wither away"--heehee!)

And I agree with you that your approach of adding calories to your UDs should work quite well for maintaining. At any rate, you have all the time in the world to play around with it until you find what is the easiest and most pleasant way of increasing calories for you. Geez--I can hardly imagine having the job of tweaking my diet in order to STOP losing! Wow! What a thrill that must be.

OK, enough lolling about on LCF--time to get back to my chores.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #435
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Snaggle.... Aw, at 50, you're just a babe! 60 is when it all started going down hill for me...sorry about that, Sally.

Suze....:welcome: Glad you're returning to JUDD.

Well, I proved today that you can even accomplish a DD at Chuck E Cheese's!! Had planned a day with my 5 yo grandson, some shopping for kindergarten and then spent the afternoon with Chuckie. They have a great salad bar with all kinds of fixins and fresh fruit and FF dressing. He had his little individual pizza and I don't think I consumed more than 100 calories.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Happy Birthday, Snaggle!

Sherrie-
No matter what the scale says tomorrow, consider your month a success for having lost that vacation weight. We both know how a slight gain can snowball until we've gained significantly. Getting back on track the way you did is cause for congratulation
Thanks, Leo....I feel the same way. This month truly has been a roller coaster for me, but I'm coming out of it with a loss, so all is right in my world. Started off at 259.5, went as high as 266 and we'll see what the scale says tomorrow for a total for the month. It's all good as long as that downward trend continues from month to month.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Their is another plan by rob nevins and he talks about the skinny switch. Google him and you will see an informercial. He is from my home state and I also had great success with his program. The problem was I ate to much on the free meal. I promised myself I would not do that this time with JUDDD so far its gone well.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Happy birthday snaggle and happy early birthday sally!
Welcome suze!!!

Glad to see everyone is rocking JUDDD! It is just wonderful! I dont have alot of time and need to get dinner on so ill just say i had a wonderful DD again, as usual! I just love the soup i made over the weekend. Best one yet i think. The heat from the hot rotel really gives it a nice kick. I had my shake fro breakfast about 730. Peeled cucumber about 1030. Soup about 1230 and some tuna at 3p. Dinner tonight will be canned crab meat over a bed of spinach, lettuce and marketside organic spring mix. My total today is about 380 calories adn i feel like i have eaten alot. I love that!

Leo, i think playing with your UD's is a great idea. That has really worked for me. I hated to think about giving up DD's or upping calories or going to just 2 a week so upping my cals some on UD's has been the ticket to me maintaining.

Suze i kind of do what you are going to be doing with JUDDD. I have more carbs on DD's because i fill up on veggies and i barely have any carbs at all on UD's and keep my cals anywhere from 1600 to 2000 depending on the meat i eat that day, or how many nuts!

Its a great plan! Ok, off to cook dinner.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #439
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 140togo
Stats: 274/261/135
WOE: atkins restart JUDD 8/28/2010
Start Date: 5/2010
Hi, thanks for the warm welcome! Snaggle and Sally happy B-day Leo I think my not losing on lc is a combination of things. I lowerd my fat intake because it was making me nausious and I'm menapausal since the last time I was on lc. I think JUDD will be a better fit. My first DD went well I am at 460 calories. I think I will try to keep my UD between 1700 and 2100 and see how that goes for a couple of weeks. Hopefully I well have as much success as redeeme I'm very motivated this is such a great group!
140togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140togo View Post
Hi, thanks for the warm welcome! Snaggle and Sally happy B-day Leo I think my not losing on lc is a combination of things. I lowerd my fat intake because it was making me nausious and I'm menapausal since the last time I was on lc. I think JUDD will be a better fit. My first DD went well I am at 460 calories. I think I will try to keep my UD between 1700 and 2100 and see how that goes for a couple of weeks. Hopefully I well have as much success as redeeme I'm very motivated this is such a great group!
Mary Congratulations on a successful DD. I was at the weight you are now when I re-started JUDDD in May - 30 pounds ago. Leo has lost over 90 pounds on JUDDD and is now in maintenance. JUDDD works. You just need to find the level of calories that can sustain you and enable you to lose. I choose to eat at a higher calorie level because I know that if I am too hungry and start feeling deprived, I'll go off plan and stay off. I think your UD calorie guidelines are reasonable - hope it works well for you!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #441
Blabbermouth!!!

My DD menu, Monday Aug. 30:

B: 2 slices PF lite bread, 90; 3 slices microwave bacon, 60
L: Hebrew Nat ff frank with mustard, 40; spring greens, 10; bag of lite popcorn, 100
D: TJ's chicken jalapeno sausage, 100; slice lite bread, 45, w/Laughing Cow lite cheese, 35; celery and carrot sticks, 10.

Total: 490
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #442
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello Everyone-

Welcome SuzeQ, sounds like you will fit right in here.

I have had a great UD. I'm starting to really enjoy food again. Made Lavash bread pizza, ate half of one and told hubby "Don't mess with my plate, I'm going to eat more." After an hour I put it all away. I have had all I want for today. Portion control has always been an issue for me.

I'm the kind that eats the WHOLE bag of chips or keeps snacking at the leftovers till they are gone or eats what is left on the kids plates. I think this plann has made me aware of the point of satisfaction. Woo Hoo.

I had a small dish of carb smart (with caramel and walnuts) and still came in with a total of 1857 calories. I'm going to let the up days fall where they may for a couple of weeks and see if I keep losing. That will probably be some high, some low. I feel full and mellow right now.

Jessica and Shelly- you both seem to fit a lot of food into your DD.

Sherrie- Good job at Chuckie Cheese. My grand kids used to love that place.

Redeemed- I will check out the Dr Zevia. I have never had stevia.

I was having a terrible time sleeping on low carb. Have heard that it is a common problem. Since I have been JUDDDing I am sleeping like a log. Anyone else have this experience???
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning. Just a quick fly by to say Hi! I am off to work today.

I am doing well. I had an UD yesterday but calories where way to low I think at 1300. I just was not hungry. I have IBS and it was just acting up yesterday. Who know why?? I still am confused as to how many calories my UD should be?? How are you guys getting a baseline on this??
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Weigh-In

Well, August has been a difficult month for me (July and August both, actually), but I'm pleased to report that I'm down 4lb since starting JUDD on 8/3. My stats show 2.5lb loss for the month, as I was down to 259.5 the end of July and then back up to 261 when beginning JUDD. I am very happy to be showing any loss this month as I had a wicked gain over vacation and found it difficult coming back and getting on track again.

I have to admit I'm not enjoying my DD's like some of you, nor have I mastered the art of eating til satisfaction on UD's, but feel like I'm learning as I go and determined to make this work this time even though I find myself struggling. I have 50+ years of bad habits I'm trying to change in baby steps. I do feel more relaxed about the daily fluctuations and feel VERY positive about now losing for five months in a row.....I haven't been able to accomplish that in YEARS! In the past I've looked at the amount of weight I have to lose and it's been overwhelming and I just became so easily discouraged if it wasn't dropping off in chunks. Leo....I think you've really convinced me that slow and steady wins the race and that all these little losses will eventually add up! Thank you!!

I haven't been in the 250's in decades....always would lose down to about 262 and just couldn't seem to break that barrier. The 250's feel so much better and my closet has so much more to choose from these days....that feels good. Have gone from a 3X top to a 1X (in some brands) and a size 22-24 pants to fitting into some 18's. So I'm celebrating the successes as they come and not looking too far into the future...."Just taking it one day at a time".

Mary...we're about in the same place! Hope you find that JUDD really works for you!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:48 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

1130162ney5u2jkoi.gif Good morning everyone!

I went too high on my UD calories yesterday. I made chicken and rice in the crockpot, and it was just too good. I need to keep to foods that are more simple. Hotdish type meals usually do me in - and I should have known. It's still early enough in the week to come out with a loss on weigh-in Sunday if I behave.

Sally I have the opposite problem with regards to sleep. On DD's I tend to be a little hyper at bedtime, and don't sleep as well. This is why working nights and doing JUDDD did not work for me the first time I tried JUDDD. It's hard enough to try and sleep during the day for a night shift, and it was twice as hard for me on a DD. I'm glad you can get your sleep on JUDDD - that will help with weight loss.

Jodi I bought a cauliflower, and will be making cauliflower soup for lunch. Did you use chicken broth or water?

Last edited by Redeemed; 08-31-2010 at 06:03 AM..
Old 08-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

Sherrie 4 pounds lost this month! congrats018.gif
You're doing great to have been consistently losing from month to month. I, too, appreciate Leo's slow and steady success with JUDDD. We older gals can lose weight and keep it off ! For the longest time I thought I was doomed to being overweight for the rest of my life. I know now that with JUDDD, I can have victory over this weight. I feel the same way you do about DD's and UD's. That's why I think you're smart to keep your UD and DD calories as high as you do so you can have some enjoyment with your meals -well on UD's for sure.

Last edited by Redeemed; 08-31-2010 at 06:06 AM..
Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 AM   #447
Senior LCF member

Mary-
I think you have a good plan in place, and I hope it works for you. I'm post-menopausal, and I came to JUDDD when I discovered that I need to seriously restrict calories in order to lose. I know that menopause slows the metabolism, but I'm also hypothyroid and seem to have a genetically slow metabolism anyway. So JUDDD enables me to keep calories low yet not get burned out because every UD is a feast in comparison to DDs!

Sally-
I have similar problems with portion control--which is why it's necessary for me to count calories. I can (and have) gained weight on <20 carbs because whatever the mechanism is in the body that registers 'fullness,' I don't seem to have it. I can always eat.

Have you raised your carb level on JUDDD? I ask because sleeplessness is a problem with low carb for many people. In fact, there's someone (with a book!) who recommends a carb snack at bedtime to help people sleep. If you've added a few more carbs, that could be why you're sleeping better.

Jodi-
Don't worry about too few UD calories for just one day. It's really a good practice not to eat when not hungry (since many of us got to obesity by eating hungry or not :blush. I would only worry if it became a constant.
As to how many calories you need on your UD, I'd figure how many I need to be eating to lose and start there. That is, if I need to eat 1200 cal daily to lose, and I'm having 500 cal DDs, then my UDs should be about 1900 cal. It all depends on the person.

Also, if you think your IBS will always keep you from eating enough, you might want to keep some high calorie snack that you can tolerate to use when you feel that you just can't eat. My own weakness is almond butter. I can eat a T (100 cal) almost anytime, so I have to be careful about keeping it around.

Sherrie-
That is a terrific loss for a crazy month Also keep in mind that my enjoyment of DDs took me a while. I spent many days just "white knuckling" through them--in fact, yesterday was one of them--for some reason, I was ravenous all day. When that happens, I just keep reminding myself that I've done this before and didn't die of hunger, so I can do it again. I also remind myself of the sense of satisfaction I feel when I've had a good DD.

When I had so very much to lose, I never had a long-range goal weight. I just wanted to feel better and look presentable. I fully understand your delight at being in the 250s because I spent most of my life at 270 and over, so 250 was really 'virgin' territory for me. I took it a 'decade' at a time--and in 5 lb increments.

For example, when I was 259, my goal was to get below 255; then my goal was to get below 250. Since I lose so slowly, those goals each took more than a month but gave me a target that was realistic; if I had set them any higher (e.g. get below 200), I think I would have become too discouraged at the slowness of my loss.

I'm really so happy that JUDDD is working for you this time because I remember your frustration in the past.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #448
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning, y'all. Weighed today--my first post DD weigh-in with no loss, but that's ok. I certainly didn't expect to be losing at every single weigh-in! I've been chugging along at a pretty good rate for the last week and half, anyway.

I got a surprise visit from TOM Sunday night, which could have something to do with it, too. Sheesh--every time I think I'm done with that guy, he comes back to town and surprises me. I'm SO ready to break up with him.

Sherrie, look at you, girl! I'd consider a four pound loss a wonderful thing even on a regular month, and you did it despite a vacation! Well done!

I must run--starting today, all my regular work and civic meetings are resuming. I'm happy, but also sad to see the end of my lazy summer.

Have a great day!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica I've had weeks that I thought for sure I was in for a whoosh - and did not lose. Last week I thought for sure I would gain - and lost a pound. Hang in there. It is most likely TOM's fault not yours.

I made the cauliflower soup today without chicken broth or coconut milk. I just used a large cauliflower, an onion, salt, pepper, garlic and enough water to cover the cut up cauliflower - boiled then pureed. The soup was simple to make and delicious. This is going to be my new fav!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #450
Senior LCF member

Jessica-
Don't break up with him yet! After menopause, it becomes much more difficult to lose. I was told that when I was younger, and can now testify to it as fact So lose it all now while TOM is still around--even if only part time And Redeemed is right--our hormonal shifts play havoc with water issues, so you won't see an accurate number on the scale at this time.

Redeemed-
I make a similar type of soup with broccoli rather than cauliflower. I could use chicken broth, etc., but in a pinch just a head of broccoli, some garlic, and seasonings makes a great soup.

Update on the cat--we still don't have a diagnosis, but it's not looking good. His blood test last week showed the same numbers--slightly high creatinine and BUN to indicate some kidney dysfunction--but no idea of the cause. My vet thinks it's CRF (chronic renal failure), but he's only 6, so I'm hoping for something more benign that might be cured.

We were hoping to see the numbers drop drop. He got another antibiotic shot because if it's some infection in the kidney tissue that's not showing up on the tests (and that can happen), it should help. Right now I'm trying to transition him to a prescription food (that alleviates strain on the kidneys), but if you know cats at all, it's a challenge!

My vet says that if things don't improve in a few weeks, I'll need to take him to a nearby (hour away) vet medical center for more invasive testing (kidney biopsy, etc.). I agree because I want to get a definite diagnosis.

This is him--Grigio--with Santa a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0005.jpg (41.6 KB, 2 views)