Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/244/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello Friends-

I have been having a lot of anxiety about calories and staying low carb and all the changes. Yesterday (UD) I decided to just eat what I really wanted. It wound up being L- lima beans/ smoked sausage
S- whole wheat spag/ meat sauce
That came up to 109 carbs...ugh. BUT, I was satisfied and well within my calorie limits. I think I will ease up on the restrictions and maybe do a more moderate carb plan till I get adjusted. I do not deal well with anxiety. This plan may take me awhile to get used to. I will stay with healthy options. I tend to over think everything and it is getting to me. If I am 20 calories over I feel like such a failure. So bear with me if I am not EXACTLY on plan in the next few weeks as I get used to this way of eating.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #332
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Sally, I think you'll do just fine the way you're eating. You do not have to do JUDDD low carb. I think the main point is to keep those DDs VERY low and to have that metabolic unpredictability of alternating high and low days.

I think those who choose to do it low carb do so because of their own reasons--perhaps their bodies don't handle carbs well or perhaps they know from experience that eating certain carbs causes unbearable cravings. (In my case, wheat gives me gastric distress, in a dose-sensitive way, and sugar gives me rebound hypoglycemia that results in terrible cravings, so I try not to eat those. I have been eating beans and some other limited complex carbs with no problems on my up days.)

So do it the way it works for you. If you find it's not working after a while, that's when you can change things up.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #333
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sally
Please don't let yourself get anxious over this! I know how you feel when you're 20 cal over. I don't tend to anxiety, but I've found myself sometimes distressed on DDs if I got too close to my limt for the day. I had to stop and remind myself that it's not the end of the world.

If you've checked out the plan, JUDDD allows you to eat any way you wish. In fact, Dr. J stresses giving yourself good food you enjoy because it's the calorie cycling rather than the type of food that's the basis for JUDDD.

Like Jessica, I eat low carb solely for health reasons. I simply don't tolerate many carbs--both grains and sugar cause problems for me, and I just feel a lot better overall without them. But I also don't say that I'll 'never' have cake or brownies or whatever. Because that's totally unrealistic, and there may come a time when I want something I normally don't eat (and am willing to deal with the consequences). You should eat any way that is good for you and not become at all anxious over it.

Mark Sisson writes of eating 80/20. He argues that if you eat as you should 80% of the time, that's ideal because no one can be 'perfect' 100% of the time, and that 20% won't hurt. I think this applies to any WOE.

Keep in mind that I read once that studies show that the people who were most successful at losing weight and maintaining their loss were those who kept a positive attitude. So be happy
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by halos View Post
Hello Friends-

I have been having a lot of anxiety about calories and staying low carb and all the changes. Yesterday (UD) I decided to just eat what I really wanted. It wound up being L- lima beans/ smoked sausage
S- whole wheat spag/ meat sauce
That came up to 109 carbs...ugh. BUT, I was satisfied and well within my calorie limits. I think I will ease up on the restrictions and maybe do a more moderate carb plan till I get adjusted. I do not deal well with anxiety. This plan may take me awhile to get used to. I will stay with healthy options. I tend to over think everything and it is getting to me. If I am 20 calories over I feel like such a failure. So bear with me if I am not EXACTLY on plan in the next few weeks as I get used to this way of eating.
You'll probably enjoy JUDDD more doing moderate carb. I would think going moderate will help aleviate the anxiety of having to stay within two parameters. You'll probably find you can lose weight just fine whether you count carbs or not.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Thanks Redeemed I am so proud of him!! I still look back at the 4years that he did it and do not know how he did it and work full time..Not to mention I am a nurse and work weekends and off shifts so he has alot of responsibility at home too!! Are you working as nurse?? I have done many different floors but enjoy what I am doing now. I am on the IV Team at a local hospital and really love the girls I work with. Its a very small unit Less than 15 of us. Its like family away from work. I also care for a uncle who is disabled. So that keeps me very busy!

Sally I am new to plan and just wanted to send some hugs! I tend to lean a bit toward anxiety myself. Its is hard when you being doing low carb so so long and then switch. Like the girls said what you ate is not off plan.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Jodi Yes, I am a nurse. I work in home health with children who have respiratory issues. There are quite a few openings in the Twin Cities for public health nurses, but I don't care to drive all the way up to the Cities for work. I live in a rural area and love the county roads I drive to and from work. I get major anxiety when I have to drive the freeway - definitely not a city girl.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #337
Major LCF Poster!

When I was at Walmart today, I saw a woman who went to my church about a year and a half ago. She said she has lost 140 pounds through gastric bypass. She was as thin as a toothpick. I didn't envy her. She looked thin like a model but I know how she must have suffered to get to that point. Then she started talking about HCG. No thanks to all of that - I'll keep JUDDD. I had a good UD. I bought some red bell peppers and tomatoes for my DD soup tomorrow. I hope it turns out.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Ladies,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am not normally anxious, BUT I have been dreaming about calories and picking shredded carrots out of soup. LOL Decided there was too much stress in being perfect. I have a really bad reaction to white potato and sugar, but most other carbs are ok in moderation. I guess it's all a learning process.

I have hardly thought about food today and that's the way I like it. DD 400 calories so far. I can do this.
halos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #339
Blabbermouth!!!

Just checking in to report my DD.

B: SF yoplait yogurt, 100; ff hebrew national frank, 40
L: tuna with crackers (commercially made packet, I threw a few of the crackers away to make it fit my calories), 160.
D: lite popcorn bag, 100; TJ's chicken jalapeno sausage, 100, cup of spring greens with spritz dressing, 20

Total: 520 (close enough)

My schedule this week is working out nicely, because the Hub had a business dinner tonight, which meant I didn't have to cook on my DD. Tomorrow is my book club's summer lunch outing, at a restaurant, and while I've proven that I can manage going to a restaurant on a Down Day (dinner salad with dressing on the side, only don't eat any of the dressing--haha--nobody questions you if you get dressing on the side, but if you say "no dressing," it's diet quiz time.), it's a lot easier to do on an Up Day! Then another DD on Thursday, and Friday is my daughter's birthday, which will mean a trip to her favorite seafood place over by the ocean.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 AM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica...Happy B-day to your daughter. My is turning 13 next week.

Redeemed...It sounds like you get alot pleasure from your job! It must be beautiful to ride the country roads.

We got some bad news last night. My Mil has end stage alzheimers and she fell out of her wheelchair at the nursing home and broke her hip in the worse place you can. She lived with us for a long time until we just could not care for her the way she needed. We have no choice but to put her through surgery to fix it because if not she will be in major the rest of her life. So sad
Today is DD and I will bring shakes to the hospital with me. Easily portable.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #341
Senior LCF member

Jodi-
In some ways, the broken hip might be a blessing because it could hasten the end. I know that sounds awful, but a friend's mother had Alzheimer's, and her husband chose to care for her (and killed himself in the process with the stress). She was unusually healthy and lived for a long, long time. It was not only a terrible strain on the husband/caregiver but on the two sons as well who took turns checking on both. One of the sons, my friend, told me that they often wished she were less physically healthy because her mind was gone, and it wasn't his 'mother' any longer.

Good DDs for everyone! Jessica, Jodi, and Sally--You're adjusting to JUDDD better than most of the folks who've come here to try it. You must be especially well suited to this plan, and I'm happy for you because I love it.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Jodi My first job as a nurse was in an Alzheimer's unit. We had residents who were so close to the end, and their families wanted Full Code. I could never understand that. A broken bone often hastened the end because of the release of calcium into the bloodstream - thus a cardiac arrest. If your MIL survives this, it will most likely be a setback, as I'm sure you already know.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #343
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Jodi...sorry to hear about your MIL. I stay with a friend who has Alzheimer's once/week and have another friend who was finally put in a nursing home with it (her husband was gonna go before she was...just too stressful keeping her home). Both are in their early 60's....cruel disease.

Well, had my first truly uncontrolled UD yesterday after being successful at a few. Counted calories til about 2500, but probably even went a bit above that. Not sure what triggered it...had cereal with fruit for breakfast when I normally have protein and was thus ravenous by lunch time. Chose soup and salad at Panera Bread for lunch but then hit Coldstone Creamery with my granddaughter and I think the ice cream just triggered that "blew it" mentality for me and kept on grazing once I got home.

Scale up 2lb this morning...actually expected more of a gain as my feet were really swollen last night. Determined to have a good DD today and hope to have the water weight (and my stinkin thinkin) behind me by tomorrow.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks you all for the prayers and hugs....I will check in a bit later! Such a sad day.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #345
Senior LCF member

Jodi-
Hope you all find peace in this situation. There is no 'good' outcome.

Sherrie-
A cereal and fruit breakfast would do me in anytime! Unless I have a high protein breakfast, I'm ravenous within the hour. This morning (DD), I had a pouch of wild salmon (120 cal) mixed with some chopped celery (10) and 2T of low fat mayo (70).

That 200 cal will hold me most of the day, which is important because my sister and niece will be here in the evening and will want to go out for supper. I can eat 400 cal more on my new 'enhanced' DD, and I should be able to manage that no matter where we eat.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Leo...you're so right! I have been having either my Egg Beater's spinach omelet with light LC cheese (100) or a HB egg (70) for breakfast on DD and UD for quite a while. Was in the mood for my mini shredded wheat and strawberries and figured, heck it's an UD....but never again!! Learned my lesson the hard way. Oh well, this is a learning process!

Looking back on it, think it must have been the cereal that did it. I have had fruit with turkey bacon on UD's before for breakfast or even a light English muffin and didn't get that reaction....strange.

Last edited by onceNforall; 08-25-2010 at 07:14 AM..
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #347
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, everyone. Jodi, I'm awfully sorry to hear your tough news. My beloved mother-ini-law, who always treated me like her own daughter and has been the most loving imaginable grandmother to my kids, has been slipping away with non-specific dementia for nearly a decade now. She is a beautiful woman, and looks very young (and heck, she's only 74), but she's just a shell of her former self now. She lives in a senior residence. She didn't want to go there and cried and cried and it broke all our hearts, but we were just afraid to leave her alone in her big house any longer. She is still beautifully dressed and groomed whenever you see her, and her little apartment is spotless and neat as a pin, but she often doesn't recognize you and she can no longer have a conversation with anyone. It's just heartbreaking. Cancer used to be my biggest fear about growing older, but now it's become dementia. It's like being robbed of yourself, your relationships, your past.

On a cheerier note, I weighed in ANOTHER 8/10 of a pound down today! I can hardly believe it. It's as though I somehow picked up some steam in the third week. So the rest of you newer folks, if your initial losses weren't as much as you hoped, don't despair--better losses could be just around the corner for you.

I was going to start tweaking and screwing around with my eating to try to "hurry it up," and Leo wisely advised me not to. I'm so glad I listened. I am eating quite a bit, probably 2000 calories on some days, on my Up Days, and staying right at 500 on the Down. I've also had a few Up Days that were a bit lower, more like 1600 calories, in the mix. I truly believe that it is not ONLY the average calorie reduction over a week or a month that makes this plan work, because I was generally eating around 1300-1400 calories on Atkins and not losing at all. I think it's the variation, the ups and downs, that make it work.

So when you have a bad up day (Sherrie ), don't despair--ultimately, this may actually help you later in the week.

And I will close by saying that I am SO pleased with this eating plan! (Now remind me of this when I hit a no-losing patch, which I'm sure I will, because that's just how weight loss goes...)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica....so glad you are pleased with JUDD and your progress. You're doing great and you're so right....need to remember how happy we are with this plan when things are looking bleak. Sorry to hear about your MIL too...so difficult to lose that bond of communication.

I am amazed most of all that even after a horrific UD yesterday and a gain on the scale this morning, I am right back on track (mentally and physically) with a good DD today. I am just so much more "relaxed" about food and I think the lack of stress (over my eating anyway...can't always control other parts of my life) will help with my weight loss over time.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #349
Senior LCF member

Jessica-

I, too, fear dementia much more than cancer or heart disease. It's also so awful for the other people in your life, as you're experiencing with your MIL.

I tend to agree with you, too, about the cycling. It's more than just 'average calories' at work here, and there's also that mysterious SIRT1 that Dr. J refers to. I wasn't sure I believed in it, but there is something quite effective in this WOE that's different from other plans.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica I find giving myself 500 calories on DD's makes JUDDD easier to follow. I have done total fasts for DD's, and really messed up the following UD by going way overboard on calories. I try to give myself as many calories as possible on UD's (around 2100), and I think this is why I have been doing so much better on JUDDD this time around.

I made my red bell pepper, tomatoe, celery, onion, coconut milk, soup today for lunch. It was a little tart so I added some NuStevia. Very satisfying. I had two cups and then will have steak for supper. I work 14 hours tomorrow so it should be easy to stay within my calorie guidelines, as everything will be counted and packed for the day.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Hello All-

Wednesday Weigh In 236, -.5 for the week. That makes 4 pounds in two weeks. Woo Hoo. That is a lot for me.

Intersting observation, I have almost given up cheese. In planning my DD of course I am counting every calorie. On up days I ask myself "What do you really want?" "What sounds especially good?" and cheese has not been on the menu. I used to eat a pound of cheese a week. That is a lot of calories not being eaten.

Jodi- So sorry about your MIL. I used to do a Bible story time at an Alzheimer facility. It is so sad to see folks lose themselves. Hugs for you and yours.

Sherrie- Those swollen feet mean retained fluid so you should be back down in a few days. These DD give us some control when we have a bad day. As long as we follow the bad day with a DD we are right back on track...instead of a week out of control.

Jessica- I have been playing around in the 240's for most of a year. Up a few, down a few over and over. This is the first time I have been in the 230's in a while. Even though I am still bouncing on a day to day basis, the high is lower than it was. I am also pleased with the results as long as it is gradually moving down.

Redemeeded- I am also a country girl. I love it out here in the boonies.

Leo- It took me awhile to get used to low carb where it felt natural to me. I imagine it will be the same way with JUDDD. In a month or 6 weeks I will know some of the low calorie meals that are the most satisfying for me, then it will be an easy routine (I like routine). I am amazed at the appetite supression I am experiencing. Hope the slight calorie increase works well for you.

Have a great JUDDD day everyone.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #352
Senior LCF member

Sally-
You are basically where I started with JUDDD. I was bouncing around for about a year on generic low carb. After having lost so much with it (about 90 lbs), I stuck to it assuming it would 'eventually' work--and I stayed with it far too long. Fortunately, I found JUDDD. With JUDDD, the 'trend' has always been down, as I'm sure it will be for you.

I, too, became much more selective about food with JUDDD. I call it the "DD Effect" because although it began with considering food for DDs---i.e., "Is that worth the calories?"--it also influenced my UDs, "Why waste calories on that?" So I don't think I ever have 'empty calories.' Everything I eat is nutrient dense in some way.

I love cheese, and eventually I eliminated it because I didn't think it was worth the calories--i.e., such a small piece for 100 cal!! Eventually, I eliminated all dairy, but that was for general health reasons. My initial rejection of cheese was entirely due to the calorie count (and the fact that I found it impossible to eat 'just a little bit').
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Sally....wow, 4lb in two weeks is great with JUDD! I think everyone here reports more gradual losses, but the downward trend continues!! And isn't that what we're all striving for?

I too have been flirting with a new decade (250's) here for about a month. I'm happy to see the lows (as well as the highs) still get lower with time. I actually graphed out my weekly weight loss this morning since starting the Daily Weigher Thread on 4/26. I'm a very visual person, and really interesting to see the dips and peaks gradually going lower and lower.

I just realized here about a week ago that I've given up my WW string cheese (50). That used to be a staple for me to grab on the run for some protein....but always a temptation to overeat too cause I am a cheese lover. I still do have my lite Laughing Cow (35) wedge cut up in my Egg Beater's omelet...but they don't draw me like the string cheese used to.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Sally Four pounds in two weeks 972122dtuadhvrq0.gif
Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Ladies-
That is for the first 2 weeks on JUDDD so probably faster than it will be as I go along...not complaining though.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #356
Senior LCF member

We never complain when the scale goes down!

(We need to have T-shirts made
Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #357
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halos View Post

Jessica- I have been playing around in the 240's for most of a year. Up a few, down a few over and over. This is the first time I have been in the 230's in a while. Even though I am still bouncing on a day to day basis, the high is lower than it was. I am also pleased with the results as long as it is gradually moving down.

Congrats on the great weigh-in, halos!

And I hear you on the "playing around." I hadn't lost a single ounce, and in fact, was very gradually gaining, on my last 8 months of Atkins. The last loss I registered, before JUDDD, was mid-December.

So I am beyond thrilled--this feels like a small miracle to me. I don't need to lose fast, I just need to see some results. AND WE ARE!!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Good DD today....523

I needed it after my UD yesterday!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
It seems like everyone is doing well with Juddd and making it work for them. I had a good week last week, but then a friend took me away for few days away (big birthday coming up......ugh) and I didn't stick to any plan at all. Unless white wine and cheese and bread are a plan..... yikes. Great fun hanging out on a houseboat, kayaking etc., however.
I had a failed dd yesterday, and so I am staying moderate today and really hope tomorrow is a good down day. I felt so good the last couple of weeks after them, I just couldn't do it yesterday for some reason.

Leo-- I am excited about you connecting with Dr. J. I really do wish he could follow all our threads. I think he would actually get a better understanding of how/why it really works. I agree with the sentiment that he sometimes seems like JUDDD was just something he stumbled upon, and that he is not much of a spokesperson for it.

Interesting discussion about alzheimers. My mom is in late stage, although physically she is still pretty healthy. I agree about the broken bones. At the place where my mom is, which is all memory care patients, I have seen many, many folks over the last couple of years, go way downhill after a fall. The sad truth for many of them is that they forget how weak they are, or that they need a walker, and they try and get up on their own and just fall. The dying process with the disease is pretty horrific and I always pray that something will eventually take my mom quick, when she gets to the point where she has no joy in her life. I will say that for now, she is kind of blissfully unaware of her predicament and seems to be happy. Many of the other patients she lives with, however, are miserable, and that just kills me.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #360
Senior LCF member

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Snaggle. It must be so difficult to see a loved one in that situation. And I fully understand your hoping that her end will be 'quick' rather than the progressive deterioration of Alzheimers. It's odd how 'healthy' many Alzheimer's patients are, almost as though the disease spares them other serious illnesses.

I'm having an odd reaction with JUDDD this week. I've been eating very low carb (just felt like it) for a few weeks, and Sunday I had a high carb day--not junk, just brown rice and some fruit. But even after a couple of good DDs, I'm up a couple of pounds and my knees are SO sore--a sign that I'm retaining water. That usually doesn't happen on JUDDD (i.e., I don't get a rebound like this from one carb day), but I wonder whether it's the contrast--i.e., eating so low carb for a while and then having them. I'm going to try to go VLC for a few days just to get rid of the water--and then just introduce veggies slowly because I really feel 'ugh' with this bloating.