Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #301
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Shelly-

OK--you know that you have OCD tendencies, but don't let that escalate into an eating disorder. That's what it sounds like when someone vows to have a "hardcore workout" in response to a few extra calories! (And, by the way, it's a myth that exercise can remedy the situation; we burn far fewer calories than we imagine--or are told--according to reliable research.)

You probably missed one of my earlier posts when I pointed out that I actually benefited from a high calorie day every month or 6 weeks on JUDDD. I would lose better the following week. Later, I read that it helps when you're restricting calories as low as I do because it raises leptin levels (which are inhibited by calorie restriction).

So just move on, and keep in mind that anytime you eat food you haven't prepared yourself, if you aren't able to check the calories in advance (as is possible only with chains), you will most likely have more calories than you can imagine. Restaurants rely on fat and sugars to create a taste that brings people back.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #302
Senior LCF member

Redeemed!

You may have been an instrument for good! I heard directly from Dr. Johnson via e-mail. He loved my story and asked if I'd be willing to be 'more involved' in the future. He wasn't specific about his plans, but I suspect that he's seeking a way to make JUDDD more known--as he should.

If it weren't for your suggestion, Redeemed, I would never have contacted him! THANKS!!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Wow Leo!! Thats fantastic!!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Redeemed!

You may have been an instrument for good! I heard directly from Dr. Johnson via e-mail. He loved my story and asked if I'd be willing to be 'more involved' in the future. He wasn't specific about his plans, but I suspect that he's seeking a way to make JUDDD more known--as he should.

If it weren't for your suggestion, Redeemed, I would never have contacted him! THANKS!!
I think you will be a tremendous blessing to Dr. Johnson! I'm sure he's going to "grab you" (professionally speaking) once he realizes your background and your giftings.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Hello Friends-

DD for me 423 calories so far, so I can have a cup of soup tonight if I need it.

Leo- That is so exciting. You would make a great spokesperson.

Shelly- I ate some wings from Wal-Mart deli a few days ago and gained 3 pounds overnight, salt I am sure, so be prepared for a little gain if you retain fluid.

I want some parmesan coated, baked chicken, Will have to do a calorie count and see if that is up day or down day food. I'm thinking DD.

I'm not expecting a loss this week I seem to be holding a lot of fluid. Hope to see a drop next week though.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Our Leo's gonna be famous!!

Good UD for me today....1450 calories and that even included pizza and birthday cake for my 13 year old granddaughter. Even though my calories were low, bet I'll be retaining fluid tomorrow with that pizza....oh well.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #307
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
I have to say that I'm a little charmed by Dr. Johnson. He's obviously no slick salesman. He's a nice doctor who figured out something that could be extremely helpful to people, but he clearly has no idea how to run with it. He needs an expert spokesperson to handle the press. (Leo, this should be YOU!)

I had a good DD today, as I always do. I went shopping all afternoon to check out some end of summer sales (and snagged a few "treasures.") Here in So Cal, summer is only just now cranking up, weather-wise. It's usually very hot in September, and still very warm in October, and sometimes even into November. So summer merchandise picked up on sale doesn't have to be saved for next year!

Today's menu:

B: Atkins fruit Daybreak bar, 120
L: 1 cup spring greens with 1/2 cup sliced chicken, 1/4 c. chopped apple, tablespoon of sliced celery, app. 150
D: lite popcorn bag, 100; TJ's jalapeno chicken sausage, 100; 1 cup spring greens with spray dressing, 20

Total: 490 cals

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning

Did well with my UD yesterday. My calories at the end of the days was 1650 right where I wanted them to be. I ate mostly low carb. I did have popcorn at the end of the day but was the only carby thing I ate. I am still confused as to how many calories I should eat on UD but it sounds more like a trial and error thing.

I am a daily weighier. I want to see the flucuations so I can try and figure out a trend for myself. Today only up 1pound. Expected after UD I am excited to see what it will do after my down day today.

Have a great day everyone!! I am off to wk.

shelly How are you doing today??

Last edited by JKat; 08-23-2010 at 02:57 AM..
Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #309
Senior LCF member

OK, friends--I'm not going to be a "spokesperson" for Dr. J (although we all know he needs one:-) His e-mail was brief, but I get the impression that he'd like to provide something like we have here--support for people doing JUDDD. If that's true, I plan to tell him how great this group is! I'll keep you posted, but keep in mind that this all may come to nothing.

Sherrie-
What's great about JUDDD is that you can have pizza and birthday cake when the occasion calls for it without the angst of "going off plan." I eat low carb 95% of the time, but I don't fear holidays or special occasions. I think we're all familiar with that temporary 'gain' (that even comes with a good UD) and know it will soon disappear. It's that trend down that's so heartening.

Jessica-
I notice that you eat popcorn regularly, and one of the nice things about JUDDD, IMO, is that it can accommodate food preferences. There's nothing really 'banned,' and I really think that helps people stay with their personal WOE. Personally, I never get 'cravings' with JUDDD because I know I can always eat anything I want on the next UD.

Jodie-
For many people who have posted here, UDs have been 'trial and error.' It's important to eat enough to be satisfied, but not to 'binge' because it's a 'free' day. In the past here, some people got into the latter mindset and had trouble controlling their UDs, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you. If you're eating comfortably on UDs and losing, then you're doing OK, but keep in mind that JUDDD results will show in a weekly or monthly trend, not daily.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Jodi...glad to see another daily weigher in the bunch. I know it's discouraged with JUDD due to daily fluctuations, but I'm like you and like to see how my weight varies with what I eat. (I also joined the Daily Weigher Thread on LCF four months ago and that's what really made the difference in a continual downward trend for me....just joined JUDD a few weeks ago).

Interestingly enough, this is the second time in a row I've experienced a loss after and UD (and this one involved pizza and birthday cake). I also stayed the same after my last DD and didn't see a loss. My body might react a little more slowly to what I'm eating than others, who knows? It's one of the reasons that I find it fascinating to weigh each day....and I don't get discouraged by ups and downs in my weight anymore like I used to. I found my weight varies from day to day in that type of pattern even without JUDD.

I think I've arranged my social schedule pretty much so I can do a MWF DD schedule this week. Friday will be tough cause I have a retirement party to go to, but also Saturday and Sunday's functions don't allow for a DD either. I will just do my best.

I find as time goes on with JUDD, I'm experiencing less and less stress over food in general. I can honestly say that for the past 50 years, I have awakened every single morning either stressed out over what I've consumed the day before, what I should be eating that day (starting a diet once again), or what I can't eat because I am on a diet. All those feelings of guilt and shame and deprivation have sabotaged me EVERY SINGLE TIME. JUDD has allowed me to get in touch with my true feelings of hunger and eating to satisfaction....and that simply amazes me!! I'm not all the way there yet...but I see so much progress and feel so IN CONTROL with my eating for the first time in my life. I'm controlling food, food isn't controlling me.

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

_2096035a0fsxt0umn.gif Good morning everyone!

DD today. I'll have zucchini, onion and spinach soup around 11 a.m. and steak, onion and mushrooms around 5 p.m. I bought some chopped garlic in a jar to add to the soup because I won't be using chicken broth, and want to give it a little extra flavor. We went to visit SIL yesterday, and went to Applebees. I had a rueben sandwich that was so salty it really took away from the enjoyment of my meal. I am going to decline going out to restaurants as much as possible from now on. It really isn't worth ingesting all that salt and chemicals they put in food. People think it is such a treat to go out and eat - and it really isn't.

Have a great week JUDDDing everyone!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #312
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-
About the lack of 'diet stress' with JUDDD--You put it so very well!
That was my reason for actually trying JUDDD way back. Christmas was approaching, and I was so very tired of feeling stressed about food every holiday--feeling deprived and not really losing anyway. I figured I'd make Christmas an UD and eat 'whatever.' It turned out that I didn't really overeat at all once the stress was gone; I ate whatever I wanted, but it turned out to be very moderate. That has been my experience every since, and eliminating that awful stress is probably one of the best things about JUDDD, IMO.

Sherrie & Jodie-
I'm not against daily weighing at all, but if you think that is giving you some insight into how your body is handling specific foods, I think you're mistaken. First, even in a normal human body (without my slow metabolism), it takes about 48 hours for food you eat to be completely digested, assimilated by the body (or not), and its effects show up on the scale. That's just the 'science.' For some (like me), it takes even longer.

But, in fact, the body does all sorts of other things at the same time, especially if you're restricting calories, so that eventually shows up on the scale doesn't correlate exactly to what you ate. Yes, you might show a dramatic gain if you happen to eat something high in sodium (processed meats or restaurant food, for example), but that's part of the body's water balance and isn't really relevant to fat loss or gain.

The only people who have an accurate way to 'check' on their body's response to specific foods are diabetics who use their meter after a meal to determine BG level. They will often to this to check on how a particular food affects them (like Dreamfield's for instance) because people are unique and some diabetics do well on foods that others can't tolerate.

I suspect that Dr. J advises weighing after a DD is because you will likely have a lower volume of food in your intestinal system and thus weigh the least, but if I eat something high in sodium on a DD (e.g., pickles), I might show a higher weight.

All sorts of things in the body contribute to the number on the scale, and there's really no way for us to be sure exactly what it is that causes a variation. Keep in mind that the body naturally seeks homeostasis, so it tries not to experience loss--which is where all those water fluctuations come into play. We have no control over this process--which is why I try to relax, eat as healthily as I can, follow the calorie levels that I know work for me, and hope for the best whenever I get on the scale. I weigh weekly just to establish a chart that I can consult long-term, not to evaluate my eating for even that week.

Redeemed-
I so agree with you about restaurants! I used to regard a meal out as a special treat, and now I don't even look forward to those occasions when a restaurant meal is inevitable.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Leo....maybe I misrepresented my daily weighing intentions. I'm not specifically looking to see how my body responds to different foods each day, but more as an accountability tool. For me, weekly accountability isn't enough. I'm not that disciplined. I have to know that I have to post my weight daily to sometimes keep me from way overeating on weekends or UD's (now that I'm doing JUDD).

I also set a goal weight at the beginning of the month for that month. I have become very realistic in my goal setting and sometimes make it and sometimes not....but working toward that goal is also a great incentive and accountability tool for me. I'm so used to getting on the scale twice/day, might as well be putting it to good use...I'll never change.

I guess we are all not only different in how our bodies handle the food we give them, but in our own coping mechanisms for accountability and control. I'm a visual person/learner and graphing and seeing that daily weight listed for the month really works for me.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #314
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, friends! I am happy to report that I am down another half pound this morning, making 4 and a 1/2 pounds in a little over 3 weeks. (I decided I would try weighing after each DD, just to see what is happening with my body through the week.) So that confirms what Leo told me a few days ago--since this seems to be working for me, I won't do too much tweaking!

Yes, Leo, the popcorn thing seems to be helping me on those DDs. It seems to keep me feeling full for quite a long time, maybe because it takes quite a while to eat that bag, so there's some sort of satiation thing that's being triggered by the amount of time it takes to eat it. (My other DD "meals" are so quick--3 or 4 bites and done!) As long as it's working out for me, I'll keep using it. I don't notice myself feeling beset by cravings or anything.

It sounds like all of us new folks are really getting into a groove with this eating plan. I know I keep saying it, but I am enjoying the rhythm of it very much. I awake feeling cheered by the variety and adventure of the Up Day, and I awake excited about the challenge and that "in control" feeling on a Down Day.

(P.S. Leo--I think we're just teasing you a little about being the spokesperson for JUDDD! I know you don't really want to be anybody's spokesperson! But your group of admirers here in this thread know that you certainly COULD teach the world a thing or two about JUDDD. )

Happy Monday, fellow losers!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #315
Blabbermouth!!!

One point regarding weight and weighing--I have had the habit during my weight loss journey of the last year and a half of "claiming" whatever low I reach the minute I reach it. Yes, I will often go back up the next day for a few days before reaching it again, but my thinking is that once my body shows me that new low weight, that's a *real* fat loss. Any bouncing back up is due to what Leo mentioned--my body grabbing some water and trying desperately to maintain homeostasis. You can't gain fat back overnight, so I know that under that water, my new low is still there (if that makes any sense at all.) That helps me not to overreact to those overnight water gains that we all experience and to allow myself to be cheered and enthused by hitting a new low.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica....I'm with you on that one!! I too claim a new low when I see it!!

Congratulations on the 4 1/2 pounds lost!! You're doing great.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica Congratulations on another 1/2 pound.

I would prefer only weighing once a month, but I want to catch myself if I'm off track in some way so I don't start gaining. However, the advantage of weighing after every DD is that you may show a lower weight during the week than on a weekly weigh in day. If that would be the case for a particular week, a person wouldn't get as discouraged than if he hadn't weighed during the week. (Sorry for the goofy sentence structure, Leo and Jessica but I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say.)
Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #318
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-
I absolutely agree that this daily weighing is working for you! And whatever works, I stay stick with it!! It was when you mentioned being down after an UD and up after a DD that I worried that you were giving too much credit (or blame!) to the food you just ate.

I find it so interesting how different things work for us. Daily weighing would drive me absolutely crazy because I tend to 'react' emotionally to the number on the scale, even if I know it's just water or whatever. But I'm so happy that you've found a system that's effective for you because I know from the past how you've struggled.

Jessica-
Congratulations on the loss! I think you're right on with the popcorn--i.e., taking longer to eat on a DD is helpful. You know that it takes about 20 min. to feel satiated, and I've discovered that I need to 'draw out' my tiny DD meals. Usually, I'll have a cup of coffee or tea after, and that helps me wait for and get that 'satisfied' feeling.

You're right about the 'low.' I've read posts where people are afraid to claim the low weight, but you're right. We can get a higher weight from water, etc., but there's no lower weight that isn't the number we've achieved!

Last edited by Leo41; 08-23-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #319
Blabbermouth!!!

I know exactly what you're saying, Redeemed, and I agree--when you only weigh once in blue moon, you might happen to catch yourself on a day of water retention and be discouraged and think you hadn't lost at all, when really you had.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #320
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-
I agree that I ideally would weigh only once a month, but, like you, I need the 'accountability' of a weekly weigh in.

When I've had a weak moment and weighed in mid-week (after a DD), I've had the opposite situation--i.e., I've weighed higher than my previous weekly weigh in and that gets me demoralized, so I try always to stick to only once a week. I'm too 'weak' to deal with anything more frequent
Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Good DD today....600 calories. Looking forward to my UD tomorrow as I'm taking my 8 year old granddaughter out to lunch, school shopping and the movies.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Had a good up day 1436 calories. Made some soup for tomorrow. Planning on Parmesan chicken tomorrow too. Almost back down to my lowest weight so hopefully will see a small drop by Weigh Day on Wednesday.

I have a class I need to be studying for...ugh. Have most of the text books read, but none of the written work. Since I have gotten older the paperwork seems to take forever.

Sherrie- Have fun with your grand daughter.

Redemeed- I'm with you on eating out. I used to love it, but all I taste now is the salt.
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #323
Senior LCF member

Sherrie-
Enjoy your day with your granddaughter. It sounds like a delightful excursion for both of you!

My sister and I are taking her daughter (my niece) to college on Thursday, and the poor girl is so nervous. She's been away from home before (spent several summer sessions at college programs, living in dorms), so I thought this wouldn't be so difficult for her, but she doesn't like change and adjusts to new situations slowly. I'm not looking forward to this trip, since there's nothing like a 17-year-old drama queen
Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

c

Last edited by JKat; 08-24-2010 at 03:23 AM..
Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

2black hollyhocks.JPG Good morning everyone. I posted a picture of these black holly hocks because I thought they were so pretty. I'm sure I could grow them in Minnesota and would love to give them a try. My MIL had holly hocks around the windows on the farm. The flowers would turn inward toward the window. You could see the blossoms from inside the house.

Sherrie Have a great time with your granddaughter. I hope you have decent weather. It's been so tropical in Minnesota.

Sally Good work on your up days!

Leo I had the opposite experience when my son went to college. He couldn't wait to get out of the house and in his own place (dorm). He had really good relationships with his roommates during his college years. They were all good kids.

UD here. I'm going to try to keep it to 2000. I have to go to Walmart today, and hope to pass some farmers' stands on the way so I can get some fresh vegetables for my DD's.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #326
Senior LCF member

Redeemed-

I know--your son's reaction is much more typical. What's odd is that when my niece was only in the 5th grade, she was accepted to a summer program for gifted students on a college campus (3 weeks). She wanted to go, but my sister and I were sure that she'd back out or ask to come home the first week. We were totally amazed when she happily completed the program with no difficulty.

Since then, she's done several of these summer programs. Yet she's totally frazzled by the thought of this departure even though she has several 'breaks' in the fall semeser, so that she probably won't be away any more than 3 consecutive weeks between now and Thanksgiving.

I suspect that she'll be fine once she gets there. (She even has met her roommate already, and they get along fine.) It's just that getting her there is going to be high stress time! It's a good thing I no longer do any stress eating
Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning

Well today i day 4 and I feel great!! I just came back from a 20min jog and trying to decide whats for breakfast. Dr. J is right I do not feel this overwelming hunger on the morning of my UD.. Weird!!

As far as the scale goes I have tried weighing and not weighing. The anxiety that I feel not weighing really gets to me. I want to see the flucuations. What would bother me more if I did not weight everyday and picked on day a wk/month what if I picked that day my body decided to hang onto water before it ready to say hey give up. That would discourge me more.
Leo thanks for the science behind it. I agree.

Leo I have the same problem with my dd13 with every new school year. She is quiet kid and keeps it all inside. When we moved to the middle school this year she had a really hard time adjusting. I had to speak with her pediatrician. Its something we continue to keep an eye on.

Jessica WTG on your loss. I had popcorn the other night also. I choose it because I want my carbs to be reasonable but no sugar or white stuff. So far I am showing a loss of 1pound. So well see.

Sherrie Have fun!

Redeemed Thanks for sharing the picture! Beautiful!!

Sally I was thinking about making a cauliflower soup and adding into it some white fish. I think it will wind up pretty low in calories. The problem is it calls for 1/2 cup cream. I think maybe I will use almond milk instead but then add in 1-2tablespoon 1/2 and 1/2 for the texture.

My husband just finished up a 4year program for his degree. He went at night and basicly took a 5week course once a week for 4 years. He too stuggled with getting all the homewk done. I am proud to say that he made it!! And with honors. Good Luck it takes alot of determination! I am cheering you on!!!!

Shelly How are you doing??

Last edited by JKat; 08-24-2010 at 06:26 AM..
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Jodi Have you tried So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage? I use the unsweetened in my soups on DD. 50 calories and 1 carb for 1 cup. I could never drink it plain because it tasts kind of like milk of mag. However, it works really well in soup. It's white and much thicker than almond milk. It has a lot of good vitamins including Vit. D and B12.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

congrats018.gif to Jodi's husband upon the completion of his degree!!

I completed my degree at the center for adult and professional studies at Bethel University in St. Paul a couple of years ago. I had a wonderful experience. I was the oldest in my class; and everyone was wonderful to me. I did this so I could get my certification for public health nurse. However, the counties are not hiring in my little corner of the world. So, I have to be thankful that I at least have a job that I enjoy, even though I didn't get the one I wanted.

Last edited by Redeemed; 08-24-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #330
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning friends! DD for me today, and I'm feeling enthused about the challenge!

Leo, my sister just sent her youngest off last week. The girl is brilliant--a National Merit finalist--but agonizingly shy. It's a family trait--we're all oversensitive and shy, though most of us have figured out how to get around it by the time we're adults.

Anyway, my niece could've gone anywhere, but chose the local state university only an hour from home. So far there have been no frantic phone calls home or anything, so we're hoping things are going ok for her. Classes began yesterday. (But for someone like her, classes are the easy part--it's the communal living that's a challenge. But it's also what makes college fun!)

Wishing you all an excellent and successful Tuesday!