Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zeraspride
Stats: Highest 282.5 CW: 265 GW: 160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 5/21/12
Redeemed - thanks for the encouragement!

Leo - first off, I am so so sorry about your sister. You have my deepest sympathy for your loss. At one time I did consider weight loss surgery but I decided against it for fear of the complications and knew I could lose the weight on my own, after all I have done it before so I dropped the idea. I stopped watching Biggest Loser on tv for similar reasons that you mentioned. The pressure to take off as much weight as fast as possible has led me to do some pretty dumb things over the years. The contest at work is more a social thing really. No one even loses that much weight hence me being the overall weight loss leader after several weeks at less than 8 pounds lost. I enter more as an accountability and encouragement thing than anything else. We each pay $5 per week and I've lost a good deal of money that I have vowed to win back. We send each other silly emails with tempting food items and have been known to send sweeties via inter office mail to make it more hysterical. There is no humiliation involved and I am actually surprised the "contest" has lasted this long as I said, no one really loses all that much weight.

I have said that this is my last go round though. I agree with you about contests like this in general not supporting the healthy way to take off weight. I had actually convinced myself that my 7 pound loss is not all that great. Am I crazy? Seven pounds in three weeks is awesome! It may not be the 20 pounds I lost the first time doing low carb in three weeks but if I can learn new healthy habits and keep the weight off, I won't have to resort to extreme measures to take the weight off including working out 7 days a week, twice a day and yes that is what I did the first go round. So thanks for the reality check!

If food is not the problem, eating is not the solution!

Better to have 100 enemies outside your car than one enemy in the car with you - an Arabian proverb

Down 12.8 pounds

Last edited by zeraspride; 07-30-2010 at 10:05 AM..
zeraspride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Well, I used my new immersion blender when I made my cream of broccoli soup. I am very impressed. I love the way this has simplified the way I puree soup. There was no splattering, and it pureed as well as a food processor or blender in a very short time. I only regret I didn't buy this a long time ago.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Hi Vanilla! I don't think I would have been "successful" with JUDDD if I hadn't already been low carbing enough to kill my appetite! That's what makes DDs possible, so you're in a good place if you decide to return to JUDDD.

Exactly what I'm hoping for!

If I eat carbs--e.g., some ice cream recently, I find that I don't "blow up" as I did with just eating low carb as I did before JUDDD. I might gain some water weight, but just one DD takes care of that. It used to take me weeks to get rid of that bloat before JUDDD.

I read about your ice cream non-bloat incident. Glad to hear that because now if I eat anything too carby, or more carbs than I'm used to, I bloat big time.

You also might think about just doing a 'generic low carb,' as I did before JUDDD. I knew enough about low carb eating to keep my carbs at about 30g a day and not give up things like low carb tortillas. However, what brought me to JUDDD is that I need to seriously restrict calories in order to lose, and I was yo-yoing for a year--10lbs up/10 down, etc. after I'd successfully lost 85 lbs that way! If you don't have to restrict as much as I do, you might get away with just eating low carb, including some favorites.

I tried PP which is basically 30-40 net carb a day and didn't lose a thing. If I come back to JUDDD, which is what I'm leaning towards, I will concentrate on keeping the DD calories on target for the first two weeks, not worry about the UDs since my appetite is nearly nonexistent anyway right now. But I anticipate having to watch the UD calories since my body is so resistant to losing!
I responded within your post with bold notes. Thanks for the info, Leo!

Hi Redeemed!

I just had a thought - wish Dr. J would come up with a low carb version of JUDDD so we could count carbs instead of calories!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Vanilla I don't think Dr. J. is a big Atkins fan. I'm sure he didn't do the extensive research into low carb that Dr. A. did either.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #215
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Lisa-
Seven lbs in 3 weeks IS awesome! My 'average' for the past several years has been 4 lbs a month, and I'm happy if I make it each month!

Vanilla-
JUDDD is for those of us resistant to losing, so you'd be with true companions here.

I had the same experience with PP. I loved the program, but I just don't lose unless I keep my calories very, very low. A low-carb JUDDD wouldn't work because personally I've gained on almost zero carbs! The only thing that works for me is counting those calories. It's good that low carb is practically automatic for me now so the only thing I have to count is calories. And I really have to watch those because they add up very fast!

Redeemed-
I'm glad the immersion blender is working so well for you. Way back when I was making soup a lot (and puree-ing it), I thought of getting one myself, but now I find that I'm cooking less and less. What helps me lose is keeping my food as simple as possible (but it's probably more laziness:-)
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zeraspride
Stats: Highest 282.5 CW: 265 GW: 160
Start Date: 5/21/12
Just wanted to let you all know that I probably will not have a chance to post again before Monday. Our laptop is in the repair shop - fingers crossed that it is not too expensive to fix and we won't have to buy a new one - and typing on my blackberry can be a pain. I will try though.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

By the way, I've been meaning to ask. Do you all take both Saturday and Sunday as UDs if you following a Monday, Wednesday, Friday DD cycle? Just curious.
zeraspride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #217
Senior LCF member

Lisa-

In the beginning, I tried to make one of the weekend days a "medium day" (MD) which is the average calories of my combined DD/UD. However, back then, they almost always wound up both being UDs, and I still lost regularly.

After a while, I got the knack of the MD (I start as a DD and then just add some calories later in the day), and that's what I've been doing fairly regularly. Sunday usually winds up being a MD for me.

I hope your laptop can be fixed. Unexpected expenses are the pits!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
A MD sounds like a good idea! My DD are Sun, Tues, Thurs. I think Sat could be a MD. So on my UD I eat 1700, DD I eat 500 so my MD can be in between, right? Is that how you do it? MD I can eat like 800-900? Is that ok?
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
good evening everyone!

Lisa your weightloss is awesome! Whether you win that contest or not you have done amazing!

Leo i agree with you about the contests. They can be frustrating and end up hindering progress in the long run. I am so sorry about your sister. I thought about getting the surgery at one time and decided i could do it on my own. There were a couple of girls at my job that got and they had nothing but problems. I'm glad i didnt do it and did it all on my own with the help of Dr. A. of course!

Vanilla i have been doing JUDDD low carb. My carbs are higher on my DD's but still low at about 20 to 40 depending on the veggies i eat. I have decided that i like going for volume to keep myself feeling satisfied so i eat lots of veggies on DD's then on UD's i dont eat much veggies and do total low carb, which is my norm anyway so its really easy. It was hard seeing those carbs at first! But i had to get past that worry and just do it and see how it went. My first week i lost about 4lbs and i will weigh tomorrow to see how i did this week.

Redeemed i want an emulsion blender so bad!! I think im going ot do some hunting on ebay for one. It will help makign those wonderful soups!

Week 2 down and i think i will be increasing my cals next week. I either need to increase cals on DD's or UD's or both, i dont know yet. Or maybe just do 2 DD's per week instead of 3. I made it thru the 2 week induction to kick that skinny into effect and i have felt wonderful. I wore my tight jeans today and they werent tight!!! I love that my thighs have gone down some. Im sure its that and the jogging and the simplefit routine all in one that are helping but i dont need to lose more weight. I need to tone and lose some body fat but not real weight. I have excess skin on my thighs, butt and tummy that isnt going to go anywhere without surgery and i need to get that thru my thick head. There isnt any amount of exercise or dieting that is going to get rid of it. I may be able to shrink it a little more but not much more. Its there to stay unless i can get it lopped off!!! LOL And that, unfortunately will never happen. I would be happy with a boob job at this point...lol I have nothing left. I think my body is adjusting to the days when i dont eat much because its like my body has already learned to not be hungry on these days. This week i have been finding it really difficult to hit my cals. I havent even come close. I have been getting in about 350 on DD's and i know i need to eat more. Today i have only had 345 cals and i havent felt hungry at all. I am going to try to eat a boiled egg later to get the cals up a little more. That iwll put me at 415 for the day. I will know more how im going to proceed next week once i weigh tomorrow. I feel so good on DD's that im thinking just 2 a week at 500 or less instead of upping the cals on 3 DD's. Maybe do tue and thur or mon and fri, i dont know yet. My mom has been doign this with me since mon and has already lost 6lbs!!!! Amazing!

I am so glad to have this site to come to and share with you gusy and get your imput. It has been so invaluable to me. Thanks ladies and have a great evening.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 AM   #220
Senior LCF member

Tammy-
The way I figure MDs (and Dr. J talks about this in his book) is that it's the 'average' of my UDs and DDs. So if you combine your UD/DD calories, they come to 2200, so your medium day would be 1000-1100. I wouldn't go any lower.

Shelly-
At your weight, I don't think a 350 cal DD is too low. I keep my DDs about that, and I weigh more than you do. I think if you like how you feel on DDs (and I do, too), it might be better to do 1 or 2 DDs a week to maintain rather than raise the calorie level. I plan to experiment with both approaches when I maintain to see what I like best (and what works best to keep my weight down).
Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

I totally agree leo. Thats what i was thinking i would do. I am thinking of doing Mon and Thur as DD's. I am going to go tan here in a few minutes and i will weigh and see if i lost anything last week. I tried not to eat anything and just have a cup of coffee but i ended up eating a few bites of chicken. I cooked it in the crock pot all night and it smelled soooo good...lol It wasnt much so my weight will still be pretty accurate. Ill post my weigh in when i get back.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Hi JUDDD buddies--I have been checking in with you all but not posting--just a driveby to say hi--sadly JUDDD triggered binge behaviors for me--which is a no no. Still using some JUDDD principles, trying to do low to moderate carb, trying to tolerate some hungry times (thank you JUDDD) exercising a lot, dealing with my hypothyroidism, trying to focus on lowfat and lowishcarb choices (works best for me)--but not eliminating anything at any time because deprivation starts a bad cycle for me. Like Leo, JUDDD has been so helpful in revealing my stinkin' food thinkin. I will keep track of you guys!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Welcome Lisa!

Redeemed,
Yes I am a nurse. Have been out of hospital work for many years. Now returning and finding it very difficult. I have never been a night person so it will be difficult, but I am going to try 1 or 2 (I am PRN) and see if I can survive!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis I hope you had a nice vacation! I hope you will feel free to post here anytime. Keep us updated of your success on low fat, low carb. If you need low fat, low carb to lose and maintain, then that's what you should do. I have to fight the binge thing every UD, but I think I would on any woe. Your creativity for low calorie meal ideas will be missed.

JLP When I first started nights, my doctor said to stay on a night schedule all the time to avoid burnout. Well, that was impossible. It was hard to flip-flop from days to nights during the week, but I couldn't stay on a night schedule all of the time. I hope nights work for you. How is JUDDD going?

Leo How sad about your sister. Perhaps you have shared this with us before, and I forgot. I'm sorry for your loss. I know of two people who have had weight loss surgery. One person had nothing but trouble, and had to have the surgery done twice. He had so many complaints. The other person had her surgery a couple of years ago and is still very overweight because she doesn't watch her diet. Maryposa seems to be doing quite well, but she watches her diet and stays in a support group. I'm happy for her.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-31-2010 at 08:21 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #225
Senior LCF member

Ouis-
I hope you had a great vacation! I saw your post yesterday in the 'recipe' section and was surprised that you weren't back with us. I find it interesting that JUDDD created a binge problem for you; had you experienced that problem before? I only ask because I've read that JUDDD can 'resurrect' any disorder related to deprivation.

I think all this stuff is a matter of where our head is. For example, I've always viewed DDs positively in terms of control rather than deprivation. In the beginning, I though it would be impossible for me to eat <500 cal a day, and I was so amazed that I didn't die of starvation That gave me such a powerful sense of control over my eating that it extended to my UDs. Unlike others here, I've never had the impulse to overeat on UDs. I've had my overeating days, but they're never more than once every month or so, and JUDDD has really helped me with control.

I think I mentioned to you that I read that women 'of a certain age' who low carb do much better with lower fat. I find that's true for me. To keep calories down, I use low fat mayo, for example, since Hellmann's only has 1 carb per T. And because of the calorie issue, I really lose better on low carb, low-er fat--even though that's probably heresy on the Main Lobby.

I do hope you'll continue to post with us at times because you have such valuable experience to share.

Redeemed-
My sister should never have been accepted for that surgery, and that's what makes me angry at the medical establishment. She already had two episodes of spontaneous pulmonary embolisms, and her primary doctor had initiated genetic testing for a clotting disorder. She stopped the testing when she began the process with the gastric bypass surgeon, but she was open about her medical problems. He told her that would not be an issue! She clotted within 12 hrs of her surgery and died in the hospital.

I think she knew the danger but was so depressed over her weight and felt so powerless to lose that she went ahead with the surgery, despite the fact that it could be fatal. Again, that makes me angry with doctors who don't understand the mental state that can develop from chronic obesity, something that needs to be addressed along with the weight issue.

Sorry to get on my soapbox about this, but even after 10 years, it's upsetting to think about it.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Ouis i do know what you mean about it causing binging on UD's. I could see that happening. I have had my moments where i wanted to but i also love the control JUDDD have given me over that problem. Like leo the control i have to have on DD's has entended to my UD's and it has helped me so much. I dont even get that hungry. I have moments where i start thinking i need to eat just because its a UD and i can...lol But those dont happen as much anymore.

I will say though that it is only 11am here and i have already eaten too much. I probably wont eat much more today. Had a big breakfast of some bacon and eggs, about 5 pieces of skinny bacon and 3 eggs and then had the inside of a sausage egg and cheese biscuit that my kid didnt eat a little bit ago. I made a chicken in the crockpot last night and was deboning it a few minutes ago and ate a little bit of the fat. I have missed my fat! So now i know i have eaten too much and i need to cool it the rest of the day and just listen to my body. That is one thing this woe has really really helped me with is truly listening to my body when im hungry and when im not.

Well, i weighed this morning and am down 2 more lbs this week. I'm at 137.5 and i dont think i need to go any lower than that. My ideal weight for my height and body type is 135 and with the extra skin i have i may even be a little underweight so next week im going to do 2 DD's instead of 3. I really like the way i feel eating this way and the control and focus it gives me so i am not gonna just gonna go back to regular ole lowcarb. I also feel better about eating more veggies on this woe because on the days i eat veggies i dont eat the cals so in my mind it evens out somehow. I dont eat many veggies on my UD's but i think i am going to play around with adding some and see how it goes.

One huge thing i just noticed last night was that my knees arent swollen anymore! That is such a big thing for me. Since i have worked out so much it seemed that my knees were always swollen and hurt quite a bit. I have had bad knees for awhile, i think from being heavy for so long i guess. I think the antinflamatory benefits from this woe are really showing. No swelling and i have been jogging and that would surely cause swelling i would think. So, i am seeing the benefits of this woe in other things than just losing a few lbs and feeling better all around.

I ordered my pull up bar from ebay and should have it next week sometime. It will be interesting to see if i can do even 1...lol

I am lookign at getting an emmersion blender and wonder if any of you guys know if the wolfgang puck one is any good. There are some that are so expensive. The other one i looked at is by Miallegro. It is really awesome looking, 550 watts. Its 50.00 and the wolfgang puck is 25.00. Wolfgangs is 500 watts and has all kinds of pretty colors but the Miallegro is just really sleek looking. I know i want one. It will help me in so many ways.

I hope you all are having a great weekend!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Shelly Down two pounds! 1525597ewyscssq7x.gif I don't konw about the other immersion blenders, but I am really impressed with my Hamilton Beach. It's very sturdy and looks like it's built to last a long time.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Shelly I looked at the Wolfgang Puck immersion blender. I think the reason you can get it so reasonably priced is because of the length of the blending rod. My Hamilton Beach has a 9" blending rod. My hands never felt the heat from the liquid I was pureeing, and there was no splattering. The Wolfgang Puck looks like a 4-6" blending rod - I could be wrong, because I did not see a description for the length of the Wolfgang Puck i. blender. So this is just a guess. I paid $125.00 for my H.B., and feel it was worth the extra money.

Last edited by Redeemed; 07-31-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

ahh, thanks so much redeemed! Did you just get yours at like walmart or something? i will have to look for them when i go today. The other one on ebay is so nice and its really long but its 50.00 and if i dont have spend that much i dont really need to but boy it sure is sleek!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

I bought mine off of Amazon.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Did you get the commercial one? Holy crap its expensive! The regular one is much cheaper. I guess for just doing what i would need it for it would be fine. Maybe i should spring for the one that 50.00 on ebay. It looks like a really good one. The hamilton beach is 225 watts adn the one on ebay is 550 watts. I dont know. Ill check and see walmart has. Thanks redeemed!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

As I mentioned, mine was $125.00. I have seen them up to over a thousand dollars, so I know they can get very expensive.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Oh i see that. Sorry, i didnt see where you said how much you paid for it. I definitely cant pay that much. I wish i could. I think i will get the one thats 50.00. Seems to be a good one with hwo many watts it is and it has the chopping attachment too. I really want that so i can make my own nut butters and things like that. Again, redeemed thanks for the help.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
oh I check in here every day! I love JUDDD! I loved my DD's. Didn't love my UD's, and since one main goal is not to trigger binging, I need to pay attention to that--I am still working with cycling and alternation, but focusing more on carbs while keeping calories low. With my weight lifting/working out and thyroid stuff--I have to include some carbs (low fat, lower carb like dairy, veggies, fruit)--and I have such an oppositional personality that any kind of restriction fosters rebellion--so I am trying very hard just to be aware and conscious etc. Still making up LF and LC recipes, so never you fear--I will keep posting them :P
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
I'm gonna have to look up an immersion blender. I've seen them used on the cooking shows I watch butnever thought of using one myself. Seems you all like yours.

This is Day 3! My MD....Leo, I was gonna do 900 cals but an extra 100 I'll take! LOL I thought it was suppose to be inbetween my DD and UD. Duh.... hahaha Thanks for your help.

Gastric bypass.....First, let me say I am so sorry your sister took that risk and the drs dropped the ball Leo. That's awful. My husband had an aunt who had a stroke on the table during hers. She wound up in a nursing home and after a few yrs of failing health passed away. His cousins gf had one about a yr or so ago and has had HBP and can't get it under control no matter what she tries. She's always having to go to the hospital and they keep her for a week or so. And she's had hernias too.

So many complications from that surgery! My husbands aunt weighed over 500 lbs and she really had no option but to have it done. She woulda died within a yr if she didn't do it. My husbands cousins gf did it bc she was lazy to do it with hard work.

I had a neighbor who had it and had no problem though. My dd's friends mom had it done and got hooked on pain meds and eventually OD'd on it. Dr's fault! She also had problems with the surgery getting hernias all the time. Had alot of surgies afterwards.

I was gonna do it, but I only had 90 lbs to lose and I chickened out and did it with hard work. I'm still trying to lose the last bit I want to lose. But they had it figured I should weigh 130-140. I don't want to be down that low. I'd be super skinny and I like my curves.

Well, I have rambled on and on! So, have a nice day everyone! BBL

Tammy

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #236
Senior LCF member

Shelly-
If you haven't yet bought your immersion blender, you might want to check them out on Amazon, even if you don't buy it there. I'm really impressed with their customer reviews on products.

A couple of years ago, I needed a new coffee maker, and I checked out Consumer Reports. They touted one particular brand/model, so I went to Amazon to buy it. The reviews were terrible! So I looked over other brands and bought a coffee maker that had excellent reviews (and a low price!). It has been terrific--reliable, etc.

Tammy-
Who are 'they' who are telling you what weight to make your goal? I ask because we're all individuals, and we are the best judges of when we look and feel our best. For example, I'm only 5'4", but I'm going to start maintaining at 165 because 1) I'm satisfied with how I look and feel; 2) it's the lowest weight of my adult life [I graduated from h.s. at 232!]; 3) I have a lot of "excess skin," since my highest weight was 340, so the scale doesn't really reflect my 'fat.'

I plan to maintain for at least 6-8 months before deciding whether I want to go any lower.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #237
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Hello. I hope that I can join your thread for the month of August, so this seemed like a good time to introduce myself.

My name is Jessica. I'm 53, a housewife and church music director, and live in Southern Cal. I have low carbed off and on for many years, and this time around, have been at it for about 14 months. As has been my pattern in the past, I lost 40 pounds and stopped cold (with at least 15 pounds yet to lose to be at the very top of "normal" on the charts). I literally have not lost one ounce since December 15, although I have continued to low carb very faithfully! Now my weight is starting to inch up, despite carefully watching calories and carbs. I'm afraid!

I've gone to an endocrinologist to investigate possible thyroid problems (no answers on that front yet), but I rather fear that my body just REALLY LIKES this weight, since I've stalled here so many times before. I think I've got to trick whatever mechanism it is that causes the middle-aged female body to desperately cling to one weight. I have hopes that JUDDD might help me.

I'm going to read up on all the threads and on Dr. J's website and then join in with you guys tomorrow, if you'll have me!

Thanks, and looking forward to participating!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #238
Blabbermouth!!!

A question:

Do some or all of you adhere to a low carb lifestyle on both up and down days? Or only on one or the other? Or on neither?

I really don't like the effect grains and sugar have on my digestive tract (and trust me, you do NOT want to hear the details !), and I don't want to eat them. I'm assuming this plan "works" low carb, too, or it probably wouldn't be here on LCF!

(I'm sure I'm asking dumb, newbie questions, but I haven't had time to read all the threads yet.)

**EDIT*** OK, I'v been reading and now have my answer, that people indeed do eat low carb with juddd. Sorry for the needless post!

Last edited by verbqueen; 07-31-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #239
Senior LCF member

Jessica!
You certainly don't have to ask 'permission' to join us--we're an open group, and I hope a welcoming one. Most of us came to JUDDD for the same reason--although perhaps with more to lose than you have--i.e., our former WOE just wasn't working any more.

Many of us do it low carb, and I'm probably the most die hard of all--totally low carb on both UDs and DDs. Over the years, I've given up all grains, dairy, and even artificial sweeteners, so I eat quite simply--and feel great this way.

By the way, if you suspect thyroid problems, check out the sticky at the top of the thyroid section of this board--the one about "Are you sure?" It explains how difficult it is to get a diagnosis because of the nature of the tests, many doctors' ignorance, etc. Personally, I was hypothyroid for more than 5 years and unfortunately listened to my primary who kept telling me that all my tests were 'normal.'

If you have any questions about all this JUDDD stuff, just ask, but if you read the thread, you'll probably get a lot of answers, too.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #240
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the nice welcome, Leo. I have been reading on the thyroid forum, and have received some great help from the regulars there.

I couldn't get my primary care doctor to listen to my concerns about my thyroid (he's an elderly gent, and quite opinionated. He told me to eat anything I wanted and stop at 1000 calories a day, and I'd lose weight. Oy...)

I ordered a thyroid panel from healthcheck, and found myself to be in the very low end of the normal range. Because my sister has Hashi's and my other sister had her thyroid removed years ago due to a very large, suspicious nodule, and our mother has been been hypo for decades, I thought these results were reason enough to pursue looking into my thyroid situation.

I self-referred to a doctor recommended by one of the southern Cal residents who frequents the thyroid board. I saw him last week. He immediately noted that I have palpable nodules on my thyroid and sent me in for an ultrasound and blood tests for Hashi's antibodies. He did not, to my disappointment, prescribe anything for me, but perhaps he will after I see him for the results of my testing.

I'm not looking for an "easy fix" for my plateau problem (hey, after 53 years of life, I KNOW there's no easy fix for ANYTHING), but there has to be a reason that I can't lose any more weight, seemingly at any level of carbs, calories or activity. I weigh over 180 pounds, and even at my height of 5'10", that is just too much--obviously, I have more than vanity pounds to lose.

So I have great hopes for JUDDD, but also great fear that it will be just one more failed attempt to budge this plateau. But hey, there's only one way to find out!