Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Shelly How many calories do you eat for UD's? Your soup for DD sounds good. I hope your mom enjoys JUDDD!

I have my food planned to take to work tomorrow. I'm frying hamburgers now. Today's DD was a little rough, but I had a cup of Chia tea with NuStevia that really helped. My blueberry/celery/milk shake (thought it would be a soup, but it's more of a shake) was delicious but didn't curb my appetite.
I did after all, put NuStevia in my shakes, and it was like having a rich treat during the day. I work a long shift tomorrow, so won't be posting. I will probably check in at night to read posts. I will say that weighing and posting my weight loss status every week has helped to keep me on the straight and narrow. It's an accountability system that has helped to keep me on track.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #182
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Redeemed-
It's odd, but soup can be satisfying for me, but not shakes. Regardless of the calories involved, if I have a shake, my body seems to want food! I guess I've trained it for 'mouth action.'

I totally agree with you about the value of weekly weighing and posting. I got to my highest weight ever because I never stepped on the scale--even though it was right there every time I went into the bathroom! I practiced avoidance and told myself that I was 'maintaining' when I was gaining all the time. Never again! I think the key to weight control is regular weighing.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Thanks for that information Redeemed. I have never been a regular night shifter but trying to learn a job that I haven't done for 20 years (hospital)is wearing me down both physically and mentally. That's why I think doing night shifts will make it easier since it
will be less busy. And I wondered how badly it will affect my eating patterns.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zeraspride
Stats: Highest 282.5 CW: 265 GW: 160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 5/21/12
Good morning ladies,

I hope you have room in the group for one more! I have been MIA from lcf for quite a while now. A brief background on myself: I lost over 100 pounds a few years ago following a hybrid South Beach/Atkins diet I devised of my own. Gained just about all of it back and have tried to start over several times but I just have not been able to stick with it. I have been searching for just the right program that I feel I could really stick with and believe I have found it with JUDDD. I started on Monday with my first DD and today is my second. I look forward to getting advice from you all and from sharing encouraging stories.

Since I'm on my first two weeks and trying to keep my calories really low, I'm just eating bars instead of shakes - I like to chew my food not slurp it! I will have a salad with a grilled boca burger for dinner tonight.

Any of you ladies incorporate exercise? I used to work out 7 days per week and sometimes more than once per day. I'm trying to be more balanced this time around. I went for a 45 minute walk on Monday evening and this morning I did 35 minutes of a Leslie Sansone WATP work out.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I look forward to getting to know you all!

If food is not the problem, eating is not the solution!

Better to have 100 enemies outside your car than one enemy in the car with you - an Arabian proverb

Down 12.8 pounds
zeraspride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #185
Senior LCF member

Hi Lisa!

I'm curious as to why you returned with JUDDD. My own experience is that I lost my first 90lbs with generic low carb, but I came to JUDDD because I could not lose any more unlessl I seriously restricted calories--<1000 daily because of age and hypothyroid. I always wonder why anyone would "start" with JUDDD because it seems so 'extreme' to me--i.e., staying on any plan can be difficult, but maintaining DDs is really challenging (at least that's how it seems to me).

In terms of exercise, I work out only on UDs, although I like to keep moving on DDs (housework, etc.). I exercise solely for the health benefits--i.e., I feel better--because I firmly agree wth Gary Taubes and Dr. Michael Eades that weight loss is 90% dependent on what we eat rather than how much we exercise.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Leo - you asked a good question as to why I'm starting off with JUDDD instead of returning to low carb. I have tried to return to it and Weight Watchers and a few other programs but nothing seems to fit where I am right now. I want results and I believe I am going to get them with this program. I was seriously considering WLS and/or Medifast. I am that determined and that desparate to get this weight off. I don't find the DDs all that difficult although today is only my second one. I like these days of not having to worry about food. My lunch pail I pack for work is light - just a couple of bars (for now until I add a few more calories back after the 2 week initial phase) and I can concentrate on other things in my life instead of going around in a food fog. Also, I have so much more energy on these DDs than I do on the UD even though I've only experienced 3 days on the program. Finally, I believe I needed something to shock my body - I've done lc and counted points so many times that I was not seeing the progress I wanted. I can tell I've lost at least a little because my pants were so tight the zipper kept coming down and now my pants are staying zipped all day! Little victory but I'll take it. I am feeling so good right now - the way I used to feel when I low carbed the first time. How I will feel weeks from now, I don't know but if these past 2-1/2 days is any indication, I will be very happy with this program.

Thanks for letting me know about your exercise routine. I will see how I feel but so far I like exercising on the morning of an UD to get me started off right. Daily or regular exercise is also important to me to help fight my moderate depression. Anyway, I look forward to insights into the program that you have to share with me a newbie!

Last edited by zeraspride; 07-28-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #187
Senior LCF member

Lisa-

I can certainly understand your desire for results--I spent a year losing and gaining the same 10 lbs before I came to JUDDD--and it was incredibly frustrating. JUDDD has been my salvation!

What I've found as beneficial as the actual loss is the insights that I've gained into my "food issues." I've never before in my life felt in control of my eating, and I attribute it to those DDs.

As I mentioned, I only work out on UD mornings (I swim and do water exercise), but I'm planning to try to do some walking on DD mornings. My knees are a mess (ready for replacement, but I'm into avoidance), but while I was on vacation recently, I noticed that I actually did better with more walking. However, it's a balancing act--some walking is good; too much brings on pain.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am in need of double knee replacement as well. My doc actually said I have the knees of an old woman and I'm in my early 40's. That hurt. But he said so much of my pain can be eleviated by losing the weight so that is what I am focusing on. I was diagnosed with prediabetes and fatty liver disease recently as well and was told that both conditions can be helped tremendously by getting the weight off. I think I've had my wake up call. That's the main reason I'm so determined now that I have found a program I like to be determined to succeed. I was working out at a gym but found only the elliptical didn't make my knees ache. After several months of bad eating (I have "food issues" too) and elliptical work I knew I had to find something else and JUDDD combined with working out with the myriads of videos I have at home is going to be key for me.

I'm part of a Biggest Loser challenge at work and weigh in tomorrow. I can't wait to see how well I've done. I will definitely check in and let you guys know.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #189
Senior LCF member

Lisa-
I am 69 (in August), and for years I've only been able to exercise in water.
A few years ago, I had my doctor write a scrip for PT for my legs because my ortho said that the only way to deal with my knees was to strengthen the leg muscles. I do the program in the water (water resistance is like using weights but without the stress), and it's helped me enormously. Certainly losing weight will help, too.

I'm a great fan of JUDDD, since I now weigh less than any time in my adult life--in fact, since the 6th grade! I hope this works as well for you!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo - thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me! I hope to be as successful as you and some of the others on this thread. I am looking forward to being healthy and (vanity talking) getting back into some of the smaller clothes taunting me in my closet!

Have a good night everyone!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Lisa 651171i085p8my3i.gif Always room for one more!

JLP Are you a nurse? Nights might be quieter. The easiest, most quiet job I have had was nights doing home health. However, I just couldn't do it anymore. My thyroid was giving out during that time, so that could be why it was making me super tired. Some people love nights. The main reason I worked nights initially was because I wanted to be in the house during the day, especially the summer when my son was a teenager. I figured that even if I were asleep during the day, it would curtail alot of mischief that kids get into. My working nights was nice in that I was home during the day and DH was home at night. I hope you can get this all worked out. Maybe clinic work would be easier.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Redeemed-
It's odd, but soup can be satisfying for me, but not shakes. Regardless of the calories involved, if I have a shake, my body seems to want food! I guess I've trained it for 'mouth action.'

I totally agree with you about the value of weekly weighing and posting. I got to my highest weight ever because I never stepped on the scale--even though it was right there every time I went into the bathroom! I practiced avoidance and told myself that I was 'maintaining' when I was gaining all the time. Never again! I think the key to weight control is regular weighing.
I found this on the ML. This study validates our thoughts on weighing and posting:

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

054.gif Good morning everyone!

DD today. My new immersion blender came in the mail yesterday, so I'm going to test it out today. I'm going to make a pot of cream of broccoli soup to sip on throughout the day. So far, I have just had coffee. Because tomorrow is an UD and Sat. a MD, I'm going to weigh in tomorrow instead of Sunday - two days earlier than I normally would. I'm hoping for some kind of loss because my weight stayed the same last week.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #194
Senior LCF member

I'm mixing things up myself, Redeemed! My UDs and DDs have not been consistent since I returned from vacation--i.e., doing different days than I usually do, so this week, I plan to weigh in on Sunday morning rather than Saturday (hoping I can keep a DD on Sat, which is usually a big UD for me!).

Since Sunday is also the first of the month, I thought it would give me a good idea of how I'm starting August--hopefully down a little more.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
:: peeking in ::

I may rejoin you in the August thread. I have been in so many different threads on here that I feel like I'm guilty of "Plan Infidelity"! All in the name of trying to figure out what will work, though.

I've been doing Atkins 72 this whole month and although I initially lost 4 lbs., it came back plus a couple of ounces. The plus side is that I am no longer hungry, rarely snack anymore and as I put on the A72 thread, food and eating is sometimes a necessary nuisance anymore. Coming home from work - even on a regular lc eating plan - I'd snack until dinner. :blush: Now one snack does me fine until I'm ready to eat something. Even my hunger has changed - when I feel hungry, it's not the "oh my gosh I gotta get something NOW or I'll faint!" kind. Alot of times I'll be doing something else and it'll pass and be an hour or two before I end up eating. I find that Facebook games are amazing at keeping food off one's mind.

The downside is I do miss a few of my favorite higher carb foods (mainly low carb tortillas and my Dannon strained "greek yogurt"), even though I know I can add them back in on A72. So .. I began thinking about keeping it A72 on my DDs and adding my other lc favorites on the UDs. I tried doing lc/juddd before, but - obviously - I didn't do it right.

When I've looked over my dieting history, JUDDD was the most successful for me (even though I only lost about 15 lbs. of the 60 or so I need to lose). I'm wondering if now that food isn't as important to me as before, I can do it again and see some results. I also read about some of you upping the losing percentage to 30-35% - something I never did try before after the initial 20-25% stage when I JUDDDed before.

I had looked into the HCG thread, but really don't think I could do 21 500 calorie days even if the HCG does keep you from getting hungry. I'm going to continue to think about trying JUDDD again over the next couple days.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Not sure why I posted - just thinking out loud, I guess!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #196
Senior LCF member

Hi Vanilla!

I don't think I would have been "successful" with JUDDD if I hadn't already been low carbing enough to kill my appetite! That's what makes DDs possible, so you're in a good place if you decide to return to JUDDD.

I've also found that JUDDD is very forgiving of carbs--I actually wonder whether it's improved my insulin resistance. If I eat carbs--e.g., some ice cream recently, I find that I don't "blow up" as I did with just eating low carb as I did before JUDDD. I might gain some water weight, but just one DD takes care of that. It used to take me weeks to get rid of that bloat before JUDDD.

You also might think about just doing a 'generic low carb,' as I did before JUDDD. I knew enough about low carb eating to keep my carbs at about 30g a day and not give up things like low carb tortillas. However, what brought me to JUDDD is that I need to seriously restrict calories in order to lose, and I was yo-yoing for a year--10lbs up/10 down, etc. after I'd successfully lost 85 lbs that way! If you don't have to restrict as much as I do, you might get away with just eating low carb, including some favorites.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to lcf and I've been tryikng out a few of the "diets" to see what I like and what I don't. What I've found is that my body needs some carbs in order to lose, and I also need to restrict calories. I have already lost about 60 lbs by counting calories and alittle WW thrown in here and there. I stalled and need to change things up.

I wiegh 183.4 and I've been there for about a month. I've been trying different methods of losing. I was 195 when I came to lcf and I did low carb, my way. I stayed under 100 grams for a while and then slowly decreased it to under 30. Now I've stalled and I tried eating meat and eggs and no luck. I tried all meat, no luck. So here I am.

This sounds like I can do this and hoping I see results. I just have a question though. On the UDs what can you eat? It says I can eat whatever I want. But wouldn't I be undoing any good results from the DD? Do I just eat healthy on my UD and not worry about calorie intake? I know, lots of ?s but I want to do this right.

The website says for me to eat 465 cals on my DDs. I really have to find a way to eat a couple "meals" and stay under that. I'll buy some shakes, I like Atkins shakes and I'll drink one of those. But until I get paid, I gotta eat food. That's 2 down days before I get paid. Any ideas for me? Things are limited until pay day, so I have to eat what I have. HELP!!! Thanx!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #198
Senior LCF member

Tammy-
Before doing JUDDD, I'd wonder why you aren't losing on 30g carbs a day. Is it too many calories? I ask because I never really lose my appetite, and I can easily gain on almost zero carbs.

I guess my point is that it's uncommon to not lose on 30g of carbs a day, so I'd wonder if there was some medical reason why I wasn't losing before I tried another plan. I'm suggesting this because you don't want to struggle with JUDDD if there's another reason for your failure to lose on low carb.

To answer your other questions--I find that I have to watch myself on UDs, but that's mainly because I do JUDDD in order to restrict my calories overall. Most people have found that if they eat too much on UDs, they don't lose, so you just have to find a level that works best for you. The idea of the alternation is so that you don't get burned out on dieting, so you probably want to give yourself satisfying meals on UDs without overdoing it. I eat low carb all the time.

I never used shakes for DDs. Dr. J recommends them because it's so important to stay under 500 cal on DDs for the first 2 weeks, and he argues that most people overestimate their calories. But I'm a "real pro"
calorie counter, and I just make sure that I don't eat anything on DDs unless I know exactly how many calories are involved.

Some folks here go for volume on DDs--veggies and soup, for example. I have always focused on protein. Tomorrow is a DD for me, and I plan on sardines (120 cal) mixed with some low fat mayo and mustard (40 cal). Later on, I plan to have a couple of egg white 'omelets' (make them in the microwave) at 40 cal each. If I'm still hungry, I'll have a deviled egg in the evening (100 cal). My usual DD is like this--fish and egg whites; sometimes whole eggs.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was thinking I would do 1200 cals on UDs and on low days eat lots of protein with alittle fat to be full. I don't like sardines and tuna I can handle to a degree. LOL Thing is, I can only eat it with mayo and eggs mixed in w/ it. So....Idk about that.

I was looking at the recipe thread. Interesting. I'll do this WOE and if I don't see any results I will definitely go to the dr and get some blood work done.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Good everyone and welcome newbies!

Redeemed i am eating about 1500 to 1700 cals on UD's and my DD's are really low! I think i need to up them some. Yesterday i had under 400 cals for the day. I have estimated tomorrow adn its only 318 cals. Monday when i ate the soup with the brocolli/cauli/mushrooms and eggs i really did feel the best and i had more carbs that day. Yesterday i had eggs, pickles and tuna at work and then green beans for dinner. I only took a few bites of green bean mush i made...lol I couldnt sleep last night at all. Tomorrow im taking 2 boiled eggs, a whole cucumber and a single serve pack of bumble bee tuna. That will hold me good for the day but i think when i get home i need to eat more veggies. I feel better when the cals are closer to 500 and my carbs are a little higher with the veggies, even tho they still scare me...lol Today was an UD and i didnt eat many carbs at all. 1500 cals and 17 carbs today.

I have to see how im doing when i weigh at the end of the week still. I may have to look at things and change some things up. I dont need to lose too much more weight but i love the control this woe gives me and i feel great eating this way. I'm jogging on the mornings of my DD's and doing my simplefit routine on the mornings of my UD's. I cant believe i am jogging! i havent tried jogging in years and im actually doing it for 30 min with only 1 rest for about a block. Its crazy!

Well i gotta get the kid to bed! Welcome everyone and have a good evenign.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Vanilla Latte and Tammy 651171i085p8my3i.gif

Shelly It looks like you are making a smooth transition to JUDDD.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
I was thinking I would do 1200 cals on UDs and on low days eat lots of protein with alittle fat to be full. I don't like sardines and tuna I can handle to a degree. LOL Thing is, I can only eat it with mayo and eggs mixed in w/ it. So....Idk about that.

I was looking at the recipe thread. Interesting. I'll do this WOE and if I don't see any results I will definitely go to the dr and get some blood work done.
Tammy I would think that you could go higher on UD's. What does the calculator say that is on the JUDDD website? I eat 500 calories on DD and between 2100-2400 on UD's. I would make JUDDD "as comfortable" as possible so you will want to stay on for the long term, and not bolt because you're hungry.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 AM   #203
Senior LCF member

Tammy-
I tend to agree with Redeemed that 1200 cal on an UD is too low. If you do a 500 cal DD, then your 'average' daily calories would be <900. That seems quite low to me, and if you need to stay that low, you should get a medical check up.

I know that I need to limit myself to an average of about 1000 cal a day, but that's been confirmed by my endo because of age and my thyroid issues. It's not 'normal' to need to be that low in order to lose.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh In

_2096035a0fsxt0umn.gif Good morning JUDDDers!

Down one pound. I am weighing two days early this week. My clothes have definitely gotten looser this past two weeks, even though I have only lost one pound. So, I'm a good candidate for a whoosh! Because this weekend is so goofed up (UD and DD-wise) I'm changing my weigh in days to Sun. and Mon. next week. So next week I'll have a full seven days of JUDDD before weighing in. I have been having some hypo symptoms, but it's too early since my last med increase to test. I'm going to get tested in a couple of weeks; and this time I will include a Reverse T3 check. Hope everyone has a nice day!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #205
Senior LCF member

Congratulations on the loss, Redeemed. And keep in mind that the scale number isn't the total story. As you may recall, I tend to not lose for weeks and then experience a big drop (4 lbs) in one week. I know that I'm losing about a pound a week, but the scale just doesn't show it.

However, I also know that there's nothing as 'inspirational' as seeing those scale numbers go down, so it's tough when the body resists like that. I'm resigned to just doing my best, realizing that my body really controls how much I weigh at any given moment
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Tammy-
I tend to agree with Redeemed that 1200 cal on an UD is too low. If you do a 500 cal DD, then your 'average' daily calories would be <900. That seems quite low to me, and if you need to stay that low, you should get a medical check up.

I know that I need to limit myself to an average of about 1000 cal a day, but that's been confirmed by my endo because of age and my thyroid issues. It's not 'normal' to need to be that low in order to lose.
The calculator said 465 DDs and 1850 UDs. Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to the upper number. So I eat that upper number on UDs. That makes sense. I wound up with 520 cals yesterday. Not bad considering I didn't plan out my day. I found JUDDD after I had already eaten! It was kinda tough last night, but I made it through.

So today I'll eat 1800 and see how it goes. It'll be nice to eat today! I'll be sure to eat that much so tomorrow won't be too bad. And I don't want to NOT do this right.

Thanx for the help! I really appreciate it!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Vanilla Latte and Tammy Attachment 32256
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone!

I did not get a chance to post yesterday and I see there was a lot of activity. My boss is back on Monday and I have so much to catch up on I can't chat long. Just wanted to post that I am still here and working the program. Today is an DD for me. I'm not much of a shake drinker but I am having an Atkins bar for breakfast with coffe, a zone bar with coffee for lunch and a salad with a boca burger for dinner. No exercise today but I did a WATP work out yesterday.

Just wanted to report that yesterday was Biggest Loser WI at work and although I have only lost 1.6 pounds in the three days I have been following the program and did not win the weekly WI, I am first overall in contest with a loss of about 8 pounds in three weeks. The person in the number two spot is breathing down my neck so I need to step it up a bit.

I hope everyone has a great day and I will try to check back in later with you all. Take care!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Lisa 1.6 pounds in three days - congratulations!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #210
Senior LCF member

I hope you win, Lisa, but I just have to vent how much I HATE those weight loss 'competitions."

One thing I've learned over my long, long journey is that everyone is unique in terms of how "quickly" they can drop weight, and it really can be dangerous psychologically if someone does the absolute best they can and doesn't lose for a variety of reasons.

One of my sisters (who died following gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago) went to WW, and very faithfully followed the program. At her first weigh in, she had not lost, and the leader humiliated her, complaining that she's surely "cheated" if she didn't lose any weight. Of course, she immediately gave up on the program and eventually wound up opting for surgery, which killed her at 43.

This might be an extreme example, but I don't think that anyone should "lead" such a program unless they have a professional understanding of obesity issues. I also think that pitting people against each other to see who loses the most is very negative. It will lead some people to dangerous practices--like taking laxatives or diuretics, starving themselves, etc.

Of course, I also never watch The Biggest Loser because after I saw a couple of episodes I was so totally turned off by the way those 'trainers' humiliated the contestants. And I also think it presents a very, very unrealistic concept of how to best lose weight.